Sign up for NEW free healthy recipes - Currently over 300,000 subscribers!

Happy Fourth Of July Cupcakes!

These patriotic little Fourth Of July cupcakes are hiding a surprise inside…

July 4th cupcake

They’re secretly stuffed with blueberries and Healthy Whipped Cream!

One morning last week, my roommate came downstairs, gave me a funny look, and said, “Katie, why are you making patriotic cupcakes in June?”

Sometimes, in order to get holiday recipe posts written and published in time, I do odd things—like make Santa cookies in September or pumpkin bread in July. No one (except maybe me) wants to see a recipe for chocolate bunnies the day after Easter.

Fourth Of July Cupcakes

The Fourth Of July cupcakes may look ordinary from the outside…

But just one bite, and you’re surprised with even more fresh berries hiding inside.

One can never have too many fresh blueberries!

berry cupcake

These breakfast cupcakes are based on my go-to vanilla recipe. I love variation recipes, as you’re already certain, before starting out, that the recipe won’t fail. If you have a tried-and-true recipe, why completely reinvent the wheel, right?

Sometimes it’s just fun to see a new twist:

July 4th cupcakes

Happy Fourth Of July Cupcakes

(makes 9-10 cupcakes)

• 1 cup spelt flour, or white flour, or Arrowhead Mills gf (140g)
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 2 tbsp ground flax OR 2 tsp ener g powder
  • 4 tbsp sugar of choice or xylitol (54g)
  • pinch stevia OR 2 additional tbsp sugar
  • 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1 cup plain or vanilla yogurt of choice (Silk or SoDelicious both work) (230g)
  • 1/4 cup milk of choice (60g)
  • 3 tbsp oil (can omit, but the cupcakes will be gummy) (36g)
  • fresh blueberries and sliced strawberries or jam
  • cream of choice, such as Soyatoo or the homemade whip cream recipe linked under the first photo of this post

Preheat oven to 350 F, and grease muffin tins. Combine all dry ingredients (except berries) in a bowl, and mix very well. In a separate bowl, combine all wet ingredients (except cream) and stir. Pour wet into dry, and mix until just combined (don’t overmix). Cook 18-20 minutes, then let sit at least 10 before removing from muffin tins. Cut out holes with a knife, and stuff fresh berries (or jam) into the holes. Then you can either squish the tops back on or discard them (by way of your mouth!). Just before serving, top with the cream and more fresh berries.

View July Fourth Cupcakes Nutrition Facts

berry stuffed cupcakes

Did you like playing hide-and-seek as a kid?

I was really good at hiding. But the game can be terribly boring (not to mention painful!) when you’re a good hider. You’re stuck waiting for someone to rescue you out of whatever kitchen cabinet or tiny closet space you’ve squished into. So I always preferred being the seeker, which made everyone happy because no one else ever seemed to want that job.

Link Of The Day:

Blueberry Pie Pancakes

Tags: , , , ,

1. I was never patient enough for hide & seek. Also, the hardest part was finding a spot that was truly “hidden,” we didn’t quite have the house or yard to have too many good spots.

I’ve kind of forgotten about this game & I’m ashamed to admit I don’t think my kids have played it too much because of it. Thanks for the reminder, I’ll be sure to put “play hide & seek w/ the kids” on my to-do list today.

(my favorite part about your recipe are the fresh blueberries inside–a delightful surprise indeed!)

2. I always wanted to be the hider … seeking got frustrating for me, because my sister was SO good at hiding 🙂

These look fantastic!

3. Nichole says:

Hey Katie! I looove this idea! I am going to try it now! Lol. I tried the cauliflower chocolate cake and it was so delicious! My sister and two of my friends were called over to try it! They didnt even notice, so I didn’t tell them when they asked for the recipe. Mwuahaha. More chocolate for me! My brother doesn’t enjoy chocolate though, so would that recipe work for vanilla? Thanks!

1. I haven’t tried it… But if you experiment first, please report back! I’d love to know :).

1. Nichole says:

Hello! I tried the vanilla cauliflower cake and…. IT WORKED. I actually made it into your skinny mini jelly roll for one! Add some extra sugar and a tad bit more of vanilla- great!

4. Oh Katie what a great idea! These are so cute and healthy! Definitely perfect for the fourth!

5. Stupid me, Katie, I always get caught up in just regular old inspiration and by then it’s way too late for holiday posts. Lol. I got so interested in my cute lemon vodka sorbet cups the other day — but I show in the video that I did NOT get drunk off those. I swear! 😀

But lucky thing about your recipes, I never have to worry about eating too much. Well, sort of calories-wise, but I don’t worry anyways. 😀 And these are really good looking, very festive!

Thanks for the 4th ideas!!

6. Leave it to you Katie to always be on top of things! I love this recipe – so perfect for the 4th. I always get so distracted with just regular inspiration that by the time the holiday rolls around, I’ve completely missed the boat! Oh well, I’ll just indulge in your cupcakes to make me feel better. Lol.

7. Lauren says:

These look so yummy and you’re right – they are perfect for the 4th of July!! They are so pretty!!
    And I too, used to get bored hiding during hide and seek!!

8. Ooo I was wondering how you got those berries in there … great idea, thanks ^_^

9. Oh my gosh, these look adorable!! I would love to eat berry cupcakes for breakfast!!

10. JC says:

Not related to this post but what vegan coco powders so you prefer/use? Thank you. Enjoy the blog BTW and I am much more of a salt girl! 😉

1. I used to use plain Hershey’s, and I still have a lot of containers left. But I’ve recently switched to buying Dagoba since I’ve been learning more and more about slave labor. It’s more expensive, but I guess that’s because they actually PAY their workers :-?.

1. JC says:

Thanks Katie. I absolutely appreciate the fair trade/ethical aspects too! Have a great weekend.

11. I love the festiveness of these cupcakes! (is festiveness a word?)

12. Samantha says:

loving the variety of recipes! Although..I must say, I cannot wait for your next chocolatey rich baked recipe…!!! I had an awesome vegan grasshopper brownie from this coop by my house the other day and it made me really want to make something as delicious myself!

1. Ok, consider your comment bookmarked.
      You said the magic words… I think a vegan grasshopper brownie sounds insanely good!

13. Erin says:

When you say “white flour,” do you mean all-purpose? Would whole wheat pastry flour work?

1. Yes, AP. Sorry I haven’t tried these cupcakes with ww pastry. I’m sure it will “work” but I can’t vouch for the taste since I haven’t tried.

1. Erin says:

I made your Banana Polka Dot Bread yesterday with ww pastry and it is delcious!!

14. Hi Katie, love the recipe. I usually forget about all holidays and such when I’m planning recipes. Already this year I’ve missed Valentines, Pi Day, and even Canada Day! Fail. These cupcakes look great and so do the pancakes… but the link isn’t working…

1. Yikes, thanks for letting me know, Leanne!
      Fixed! 🙂

15. Jen says:

Hi Katie, thanks for your blog and your recipes! One question: I buy stevia in a little jar rather than in packets. Any idea how much I would use as the equivalent to a packet? It comes with a teeny spoon but I’m not sure if one spoonful would be the same as what’s in a packet. Thank you!

1. Lauren says:

I know that if you are using the Nu-Naturals brand 1 packet is half a teaspoon, unless it’s pure extract and then it is a lot less…1/64th teaspoon.

16. Katie says:

We used to play a game called ghosts in the graveyard that was like hide and seek. I don’t really remember all the rules except that it involved the people who got tagged looked for other people in a team.

I would make pumpkin bread in July. In fact, I have made pumpkin bread in July. I love pumpkin.

17. Oh gosh those look so good! And I really need a calendar that tells me all the food holidays! I should have had blueberry pancakes for breakfast!

18. Suzie says:

Oh yummy, love the idea of putting fruit in baked goods, let alone fresh fruit, great recipe idea!

19. You’re always so on it with the themed posts! I am terrible at thinking up foods that match themes. I couldn’t think of anything red and white to post for Canada Day (and my birthday!) this Sunday…so if you throw blue in there too I think my head would explode lol. These look fab 🙂

20. those are such a good idea! I’m so impressed that you’re making a cookbook AND coming up with even more recipes for your blog!