Black Bean Brownies – No Flour Required!

Black Bean Brownies – the ultra fudgy and decadent chocolate treat.

The famous chocolate fudge black bean brownies recipe from @choccoveredkt... (500k + repins) http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/09/06/no-flour-black-bean-brownies/

EDIT: Thank you to everyone who has been asking…

After more than 3 years in the works, The Chocolate Covered Katie Cookbook is finally available – based on your feedback, every single recipe in the book comes with complete nutrition facts including calories, total fat, carbohydrates, protein, and Weight Watchers points plus!

black bean brownies

I know what you’re thinking.

“Why would I want to eat a ‘healthy’ brownie when I could be eating a deep, dark, rich, fudgey, and chocolatey brownie instead?”

But what if the deep, dark, rich, chocolate brownie is the  healthy brownie?

No, not in a dream world. These black bean brownies are healthy brownies that DO NOT taste healthy, and I can say that with assurance, as they’ve been tested on three different groups of people used to “normal” desserts. For the ultimate test, my roommate brought two pans of the black bean brownies into work and set them down on the table without revealing the secret or saying they were healthy. She came home with no brownies left… but with five requests for the black bean brownie recipe!

black bean brownie recipe

I know some of you have been disappointed by mediocre black bean brownies you’ve tried in the past, which is why it’s taken me so long to come up with my own recipe:

I’ve tried some awful black bean brownie recipes in the past, too. For example? Don’t think you’ll get brownies by adding cocoa powder to my white bean blondies recipe. Trust me. You’ll get cardboard!) I wanted a recipe that would not let people down; a recipe that could stand up to a regular sugar-and-flour brownie in a competition. And these really do!

Flourless Black Bean Brownies - Rich, FUDGY better-than-boxed brownies, one of the most popular recipes I've EVER made! @choccoveredkt http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/09/06/no-flour-black-bean-brownies/

Also, huge thanks to everyone who’s been sharing these on Instagram! If you make them and want to share, I am @chocolatecoveredkatie on Instagram.

pin-it

Black Bean Brownies

Print This Recipe 4.9/5
4.9/5341

Ingredients

• 1 1/2 cups black beans (1 15-oz can, drained and rinsed very well) (250g after draining)
  • 2 tbsp cocoa powder (10g)
  • 1/2 cup quick oats (40g) (See nutrition link below for substitutions)
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/3 cup pure maple syrup or agave (or honey, but not for strict vegans.) (75g)
  • pinch uncut stevia OR 2 tbsp sugar (or omit and increase maple syrup to 1/2 cup)
  • 1/4 cup coconut or vegetable oil (40g) (See nutrition link for substitution notes)
  • 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 cup to 2/3 cup chocolate chips (115-140g) (Not optional. Omit at your own risk.)
  • optional: more chips, for presentation
Total Time: 15m
Yield: 9-12 brownies

Instructions

Black Bean Brownies Recipe: Preheat oven to 350 F. Combine all ingredients except chips in a good food processor, and blend until completely smooth. Really blend well. (A blender can work if you absolutely must, but the texture—and even the taste—will be much better in a food processor.) Stir in the chips, then pour into a greased 8×8 pan. Optional: sprinkle extra chocolate chips over the top. Cook the black bean brownies 15-18 minutes, then let cool at least 10 minutes before trying to cut. If they still look a bit undercooked, you can place them in the fridge overnight and they will magically firm up! Makes 9-12 brownies. If you make this recipe, don’t forget to leave a review! The trick with these: serve them first, and then reveal the secret ingredient. In all the times I’ve served bean desserts, not one single person who didn’t know beforehand has ever guessed!

View Black Bean Brownies Nutrition Facts

chocolate covered katie brownies

To anyone who wants to like the brand new Chocolate Covered Katie facebook page, I will seriously love you forever!!

The Chocolate Covered Katie Facebook Page

Link Of The Day:

Rich, chocolatey, moist, fudgey brownies from @choccoveredkt with a secret ingredient – zucchini! The recipe is to die for! http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2013/05/31/healthy-chocolate-fudge-zucchini-brownies/

Zucchini Brownies – One of my personal favorite recipes on the blog!

Tags: , , , ,

1. I am a die hard black bean brownie fan! I know that they don’t taste the best but they are close enough for me to enjoy guilt-free. I’m sure your recipe will blow the other’s I’ve tried out of the water though – can’t wait to try and trick my bf again with them 🙂

1. That’s how I am – I’d rather have 10 “healthy” brownies than 1 “guilty” brownie 😀

1. Meagan says:

I’m the same as you. I get satisfied from one rich, decadent brownie, than from an entire tray of something that tastes only OK. Actually, I made the black bean brownies from Happy Herbivore and they literally tasted of vomit- no joke! So yeah, I’d rather eat the real thing and enjoy it, then have to choke something down that is a “treat”.

1. Renee says:

There is nothing “okay” about this recipe, they are flat out delicious. There is no sacrifice here…just chocolatey goodness.

5/5

2. They are different – but definitelly a great treat!

3. Nancy Tatman says:

I need a recipe for black bean chocolate cake.

1. Nic says:

Sorry so late, but I love this one for an easy and mostly healthy chocolate cake recipe: http://www.joybauer.com/recipes/chocolate-baby-cakes-with-vanilla-avocado-icing

2. I have tried (and liked) black bean brownies, but not without flour. I’ll bet these are super moist and fudge-y. I’ll definitely give these a try! 🙂

3. Rachel says:

Can’t wait to try these! I never tried a black bean brownie because it just never seemed appealing but these look really good!

4. Jennifer says:

You just made my day. I’ve always wanted to try black bean brownies but I’ve always been a little suspicious of the recipies that I see. I know, though, that I can always trust Katie!!!

5. I haven’t tried them yet but you may have convinced me with your confidence in these!

6. Sarah says:

Hi Katie,
    You don’t know me but I work with Emily, and I was actually one of the ones who asked her for the recipe when she brought in the brownies! She came in today and told us you’d posted the recipe on this link and that there was a secret to the brownies, so of course I had to come here right away and see what the secret was.
    I think I fell off my chair when I read what’s in them! Having already tried them I know they are good but reading through the ingredients, I still can’t believe there were beans in there! I’ve never tried beans in brownies and have no idea how you’d come up with such a thing, but they really are good and now knowing the secret I am going to have to make them tonight and see if I can tell now that I know they are in there.
    Sorry for the long comment, and thanks for the brownies!

1. jeanne says:

you should try the blondies…with garbanzo beans!

7. Zelda says:

Is the nutrition for 9 or 12 brownies?

1. Diana says:

OoO I know this answer because I calculated them too. Its 12.

1. Sally says:

I wish I had read this comment before I made them. I used one of those brownie pans that makes individual brownies. There was only enough batter to make 9; I did not realize the nutrition was based on 12. When I calculated the calories on My Fitness Pal it came to 214 calories per brownie — MORE than my normal brownie recipe! And I didn’t calculate it til after I had eaten one and blown the rest of my calories on it. They were not bad, for 115 calories, but for over 200 I would rather have a real brownie.

0/5

0/5

1. Lynn says:

I guess it would depend on what your definition is of a ‘real brownie’; to me, THESE are real.

2. Kim says:

Thank you Sally… You have shed the light for me. I was thinking with all the sugar/sugar substitute it would clock up a fair bit of calories in a standard serving size. I might try to reduce the sugar and use cacao bits instead of chocolate chip. 🙂

0/5

0/5

3. But just think, these calories were nutritive! Better to have more calories from good foods than less calories from foods that don’t nourish your body. 🙂

4. Krystal says:

I think it’s really not about the calories. It’s about the quality ingredients that you’re putting into your body. Instead of sugar and flour, you’re getting beans and coconut oil and honey. making more calories but it’s much better for you.

2. Christie says:

Hi!
      The brownies are delicious!
      Do you happen to have a weight in grams for each serving?

1. chrissy says:

ditto this question. do you have a gram measurement for the nutrition info?

8. Lisa C. says:

I’ve never wanted to try black bean brownies before (although I love your blondies). But you convinced me. Making these today! Oh yes I am!

9. Lauren says:

OMG these look perfect! I can’t wait to make them! I’m so glad that you had lots of people try them – even people who eat “normal” desserts. 🙂 The key is always to have non-vegans try them, without disclosing that they are vegan, and see what the verdict is.

So excited!
    Lauren

10. Laura M says:

I’ve never heard of black bean brownies! I’ve always wanted to try your blondies made with chickpeas too, but I don’t have a food processor. I think it’s about time I made a new investment (or put it on my birthday wish list!)

1. Amber says:

def invest in one! I kept putting it off but finally broke down a year ago and I use it all the time. Not just for Katie’s recipes but my other favorite thing is to shred/slice veggies that I don’t use quick enough and are going to go in the trash, and stick them in the freezer! And Katie’s recipes are so easy it takes longer to wash the processor than to dump everything in and blend it!

1. Laura M says:

Alright! I think that’s the kick I need!

2. Lanakila says:

I have this food processor and the only complaint I have is that it is really loud when it runs. Beats trying to use a blender though!

3. Nay says:

I do not have a foodprocessor either… I just made them and used a hand mixer
      These blondies are soooo good!! I still can’t believe how healthy they are.. I used
      Quick oats and they taste like oatmeal toll house bars! Thanks for sharing the recipe

11. Amanda says:

First of all, Happy Birthday! I hope you have a great day.

Second, I’ve never tried a “bean” brownie in general, but I would love to make one. I already like black beans, so the idea really isn’t the scary. Except, I don’t have a food processor. Good news, I can get one free! Which would be great, except I don’t know if their big enough for your recipes (my soul purpose for getting one). I’ve actually wanted to ask you about the size for awhile, but it seemed odd to question on a recipe without any mention of food processor. I have the option of either a 3 or 4 cup one (both Cuisinart), so are those big enough (or too big)? Or is one better than the other or should I wait until I can get something bigger?

Either way as soon as I get one, your chocolate chip cookie dough dip is first on my list to make, then probably your nutella than this….. I’m already dreaming of how these will taste.

(….and chocolate chips should never be optional)

1. I think mine is like a 10 cup, and I’d highly recommend getting something that big unless you want to make things in multiple batches.

1. Amanda says:

Thanks. I’ll definitely just wait until I can get a larger one then.

1. Serena says:

Hey! I know this is a super late comment but I have a really mini food processor and I love it because I only make stuff for me (and whoever happens to be around at the time lol) so I don’t need to make giant batches =)

12. Barb says:

I can’t wait to make these! Is the nutrition info for 9 or 12 brownies? Just curious! I always trust your opinion, and I’ve been wanting to try out the black bean brownies for a while now!

1. Diana says:

I calculated it myself, and its 12

13. SIGH. I really need to get a food processor. 🙁

1. alloyjane says:

I FOUND A WORKAROUND TO THE LACK OF FOOD PROCESSOR!!!

The thing to do if you only have a blender is to grind your dry ingredients, set them aside, then pre-smash your beans with the wet ingredients, and then blend that wet mixture by itself. Put the bean mixture back in the bowl and then sift the dry into the wet like normal. See? Easy peasy pudding and pie.

The results? FAN-FREAKING-TASTIC! It’s not any more work than fighting the blender in batches and it’s cheaper than a food processor if buying appliances is not one of your priorities. But if you’re of the bean persuasion, the texture will never not remind you of beans, no matter how smooth. Just like people sensitive to coconut can ALWAYS tell when a coconut product has been used, people who eat a lot of beans will recognize the feel. It’s not an issue, it’s just one of those recognizable things. Hopefully this helps!

1. Han says:

Thanks so much for this! It worked perfectly! :)))

2. Sadye says:

Thanks so much for the guidance — I think you hit the nail on the head! These are delicious, and I bet that the chocolate chips in there would’ve distracted anyone I was trying to sneak the beans past 🙂 Great work, Katie!

3. Joy says:

Just made these and they came out great! I have only ever tried one other Black Bean Brownie recipe and it was just ok. These are phenomenal! I cannot taste the black beans at all, even in the batter before baking. Love, love, love these. Also, added some chocolate protein powder to kick up the protein for pre-/post-workout fuel. This will be on regular rotation! I can’t wait to give it the fiance test, I swear he is the pickiest eater EVER.

1. Joy says:

Sorry, forgot to say that Alloyjane’s tip to blend separately then combine worked amazingly in my small blender.

2. Christi says:

I just made this in my cheap little food chopper (was around $10), not even a food processor lol. Its a bit more labor intensive..I process the oats first then add in everything gradually and mix it a little bit with a spoon every now and then, adding a little almond milk to get it to blend a little easier, but its still fairly quick and easy and come out to my satisfaction! I love this recipe and the batter is amazing! 🙂

3. Anonymous says:

I was even sneakier trying to avoid buying a food processor- just put the beans in a sieve and push them through with a spoon. Came out lovely and smooth and isn’t too hard at all because they’re relatively soft anyway 🙂 hope that helps!

14. Ellie says:

Thanks for writing the metric units! Although it’s fairly quick and easy to convert cups and oz, it’s really useful and makes a difference when it’s already there. I will definitely try this recipe 🙂

15. Kelsey says:

These look so amazing! I too, have wanted to try black bean brownies but was pretty worried about how they’d turn out. But I know if it’s your recipe it’ll be awesome! Thank you so much for this!

1. Kelsey says:

Oh my dear goodness gracious. I just made these and they are gooooood! I made them in a blender since I don’t have a food processor, and I could see where they’d benefit from a smoother texture, but really they’re amazing as is. I also used 1 tsp butter extract (which I bought for your cake batter shake, which I love!) instead of 2 tsp vanilla, since I was out. I don’t think I’ve ever made a recipe the day it came out, but I’m glad I did on this one– wow, it’s good.

16. I’ve only made them once – I used Mama Pea’s recipe on her blog. They were really good! Nice and fudgy tasting 🙂 I can’t wait to try these ones!!

1. Erin says:

These are super delicious, Katie! This recipe has become a go-to favorite for my vegan family. Thank you!

5/5

17. Miss Katie, you are my hero!! I’ll need to cook up some black beans so I can try these!

18. Jessica says:

Sounds delicious! Can’t wait to try! Would you be able to turn your mention of white bean blondies into a link to the recipe? I did a search but couldn’t find them. Thanks!

1. Jessica says:

Oops, never mind…found your link at the bottom of the blog! Thanks! Can’t wait to try both!

19. Mozzie says:

Black beans? hmm, help me here 🙂 normal black coloured beans, or canned? i used to make some red bean recipes, but i always used canned ones. Sorry for stupid questions, but i simply have never seen such thing.. and the recipe looks really good and i want to try it 😀

1. Kim says:

OMG. This is a winner. I never, ever leave comments but had to make an exception. They are easy and wonderful taste.

Thanks you

1. Coralie says:

You are Great !!! Such fun…..
          Love what you do with Chocolate

1. Suzy VanDyke says:

Thanks for the recipe! I googled black bean brownies because I didn’t have any chocolate. I had to make a few substitutions – subbed regular flour for the oat flour and had to add a little more oil, subbed regular brown sugar in for maple syrup. I also had to make my own baking powder with baking soda and cream of tartar. It all came out fine! I think it would have been yummier with chocolate chips on top but I’m still happy with it.