Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Cups

What is even better than cute dishware?

cookie dough bowls

Cute dishware you can eat!

Say hello to a brand new line of chocolate-chip cookie dough dishware, hot from the oven and coming soon to Pier One stores everywhere! And then quickly say goodbye. They won’t last long.

Above, topped with my homemade “Rated R” Ice Cream.

The best part is when you finish all of the ice cream and realize there is still a big, fat, soft, gooey chocolate-chip cookie waiting to be devoured!

chocolate chip cookie dough bowls

Like any self-respecting cookie lover, I fell in love with the concept of chocolate chip cookie cups the second I first saw it on Pinterest. The idea was to take any cookie dough and bake it on the bottoms of muffin tins, like so:

cookie bowls

Unfortunately for me, with the particular cookie dough  I used, this was a massive fail.

My chocolate-chip cookie bowls—based on this eggless cookie dough recipe—stuck to the greased tins, spread over the sides, and crumbled completely when I tried to remove them. But I wasn’t giving up…What does an independent girl in her mid-twenties do when disaster strikes in the kitchen?

She calls her mother, of course!

cookie dough candy cups   chickpea cookie dough

Mothers always know best:

cookie dough bowls

Chocolate Chip Cookie Bowls

(makes 17-19)

• 2 cans white beans or garbanzos (drained and rinsed) (500g total, once drained)
  • 1 cup quick oats (85g)
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce (60g)
  • 3 tbsp oil (canola, veg, or coconut) (30g)
  • 2 tsp pure vanilla extract (8g)
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 and 1/2 cups brown sugar (For a sugar-free version, use this recipe.) (315g)
  • 1 cup chocolate chips (160g)
  • macaroni, beans, or rice to fill bowls (this won’t be eaten)

Preheat oven to 350 F and grease muffin tins. Blend all ingredients (except the chips) very well in a high-quality food processor (not a blender). Mix in chips, scoop into the individual muffin tins, and use a spoon or knife to make a well in the middle and spread up the sides like a bowl. (See above photos.) Pour uncooked noodles or beans or rice into each well, then bake 18-19 minutes. Set aside and do not attempt to go around the sides with a knife and then remove from the tins for at least 10 minutes, as the cookie bowls continue to cook and firm up as they cool.

(Some readers have had success with a blender, but I did not. Try that at your own risk, and know the results will be better in a high-quality food processor such as a Cuisinart. Alternatively, you can probably use any cookie-dough recipe with this “macaroni” idea. Just adjust baking time accordingly.)

View Cookie Dough Bowls Nutrition Facts

chocolate chip cookie dough bowls

Do you ever ask your mom for cooking advice?

When I was younger, I often relied on the cooking wisdom of my mother and both of my grandmothers. However, their wealth of knowledge in traditional baking proved less and less useful as I began experimenting more with alternative ingredients and cooking methods. Now, instead of them teaching me, I teach them. Thanks to me, my grandmother can now make a mean peanut butter cookie—with no eggs or butter whatsoever!

Tags: , , , ,

1. Alexis says:

This looks yummy! Will have to make it soon.

1. Sarah says:

I know! It looks so good! I will have to try this too!

2. Sarah says:

I know! It looks so good, I will have to try this too!!!

2. Doesnt pinterest have the most amazing ideas? And I’m beyond impressed with your mother for her macaroni idea, I have no idea how that would even work! These look sooo nommy. Good excuse to make some ice cream, too 😉

BTW, I can see the header on my computer but NOT on my phone

1. Hm, had the same issue on my phone…

1. Hailey says:

I still can’t see it at all! :(

1. Can you clear your browser cache? Let me know if that works or not! :)

1. Hailey says:

Sorry, still nothing! :( Of course, I’ll keep reading even if I can’t see your header :)

2. Wow, that is strange… What browser are you using? Also, try pressing control F5 and see if that works! Let me know, either way.

3. Anonymous says:

Nope :( Internet Explorer 9. (For PCs)

3. I’m almost 30 and I still call my mom at least once a week for some food-related advice!

4. What I great idea! I’d love a cookie bowl right now. Filled with ice cream, of course. 😉 I can’t see the header right now, but I’m glad your recipes finally have print buttons!

5. Lisa says:

What a great idea to make your own ice cream cups like this! Obviously way healthier than the alternative! They look so cute!

6. Cookie cups that hold ice cream? Yum!! Also, yes I can see that pretty blog header!

7. cute! i used muffin tins for my latest cookie dough cups, but a shot glass made the indentation:

8. I call my mom for advice a lot but cooking… not too often. She’s the kind of mom who made the same 10 recipes over and over again throughout my childhood. She’s getting a lot more experimental now, which is fun to talk to her about. I would, however, ask her about cooking any kind of meat – it’s her specialty!

9. Love the new site Katie! So I have to ask, don’t the noddles cook into the cookie? I’d like to try these cookie bowls out. They look delicious!

10. kelly says:

yum! and yes, I can see the header

11. Moms always know best. And you’ll still be calling her for cooking advice in your mid-thirties too (I can attest to that. I’m 32, and I still call my mama for kitchen tips). That macaroni tip is amazing! Your header looks fantastic btw!!

12. Nykole says:

Oh my gosh I can’t wait to try this… I’ve never been a fan of icecream (since I’ve been lactose intolerant from a very young age) so I’ll probably fill it with fruit… Mini chocolate-chip cookie fruit tarts! Haha :)
    Also, the header is completely white

13. Carrie says:

I love this! I’ve long entertained fantasies of using muffin tins to make mini crumb crusts for mini pumpkin tarts and such, but a chocolate chip cookie ice cream bowl is too cute! These are perfect for a dinner party – you could make them ahead of time and then freeze them and just whip them out and add the topping when you’re ready to serve them. No work at all, and guests would be SO impressed. I’m thinking these would be ideal for serving warm with cold ice cream. Come to think of it, this technique would be the perfect solution to the ice-cream-falling-off-the-warm-brownie problem that so many of us have – how about a brownie variation?

14. Elizabeth says:

Oh my gosh, this looks so glorious and phantasmagorical just omnomnomonomnomnom. :O
    I stalk this blog and have made so many recipes it could be its own sort of mental disorder.
    Just wanted to let you know, Katie, I would be crushed if I wasn’t able to come here. I aspire to become vegan and am now hyper-sensitive to salt, so I make a ton of your recipes (at least one a day). This blog is important to me. ^_^ Keep doing what you do.

15. That idea to bake them over the bottoms of the cups though was seriously genius, I don’t know that I would have thought of that!

I do still call Mom, but mainly for traditional recipe technique advice, rather than healthy ingredient advice – I am more up on that than she is!! But when it comes to whisking, fluffing, baking, cooling etc she still knows best!

16. Amy says:

These look delish Katie! I can’t wait to try them.

By the way, your website looks amazing! So fresh and totally Katie.

17. Melissa M says:

Amazing idea! Header is completely white on my comp on Google Chrome.

18. Milounette says:

I don’t ask my mum, I ask my dad !!! In my family it’s my dad who cooks (not that my mum cannot, but she doesn’t like it instead of my father, who loves that). And for the basic questions (how pasta per head or how longer cooking the chicken) I have a wonderfull cook book that we hand down since my great grand mother….

19. Alex says:

HI! YUM! I CAN SEE IT!! :)

20. m says:

These look fantastic! Such a simple method to make an impressive dessert. And tips from Mom are the best! btw,the header’s completlely blank to me.