Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Copycat Little Debbie Cosmic Chocolate Fudge Brownies

Today I give you…

cosmic brownies

Fudgey chocolate brownies.

Covered in fudgey chocolate frosting…

If you couldn’t tell, the theme of today’s post is chocolate fudge.

cosmic brownies   copycat little debbie brownies

When I think of these brownies, I think of author Judy Blume, who wrote an entire series of books about Fudge: Double Fudge, Super Fudge, and Fudge-a-Mania. I’ll never forget my excitement when my third-grade teacher announced to the class that the next book we’d be reading was called Super Fudge.

A book all about chocolate??

Alas, it was really a book about an eleven-year-old boy. Each day I read intently, waiting to get to the part about the chocolate fudge. It never came… but at some point in the series, the little boy did eat a turtle.

Yeah, not the same thing. 😕

little debbie brownies

Unlike with the books, these brownies really are all about the fudge. What you see is what you get.

Fudge!

And no turtles.

copycat little debbie brownies

Cosmic Fudge Brownies

Print this recipe

Brownies:

• 1/2 cup cocoa powder (40g)
  • 1 cup spelt or all-purpose flour (140g) (Arrowhead Mills gf does also work.)
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 tsp instant coffee granules (optional)
  • 1 cup xylitol or sugar (or coconut sugar) (190g)
  • optional: 1 cup mini chocolate chips
  • 6 tbsp silken tofu (For soy-free, you can use my black bean brownies recipe instead.)
  • 2/3 cup applesauce (160g)
  • 2 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract (10g)
  • 1/2 cup coconut or vegetable oil (80g)
  • 2 tbsp milk of choice (30g)

Frosting:

• 1/2 cup cocoa powder (40g)
  • 2 tbsp pure maple syrup or agave (30g) (you can sub liquid stevia to taste)
  • 1/2 cup liquid virgin coconut oil (75g)

Preheat oven to 325 and grease a 9×13 baking pan. In a large bowl, combine all brownie dry ingredients and stir well. In a separate bowl, combine all brownie liquid ingredients and stir well. Pour wet into dry and stir until evenly combined (but do not overmix), then transfer to prepared baking pan and cook 32-34 minutes. Allow to cool, and mix frosting ingredients together to form a sauce. Spread sauce over the brownies, then fridge or freeze 10-20 minutes and the sauce magically transforms into fudgey chocolate frosting! These brownies taste much richer the next day, after the flavors have had a chance to intensify.

View Nutrition Facts

cosmic brownies

Question of the Day:

Do you remember any of the books you read as a child?

I read all of Ann M. Martin’s Babysitter’s Club books, R.L. Stein’s Goosebumps books, and Beverly Cleary’s Ramona books, and was partial to series books. I hate when you start to develop a real relationship with a character only to have the book end.

P.S. Thanks to your feedback, the recipe page is now updated so that all recipes in a category appear on the same page.

1. Allie C. says:

These look amazing! Just wondering about the serving size… how many brownies does it make? Thanks, Katie!

1. It makes a 9×13 pan, so it depends on how big you cut them. I think it made around 25 of the size shown in the photos, but the nutrition facts are for 20 brownies (bigger than the ones in the photos).

2. Lisa says:

These look so rich! Love how they look so pretty in the photo with the sprinkles.
    I think I’ll try making these with pumpkin instead of applesauce. I have about 10 cans leftover, so hopefully it will work out just fine:)
    When I was a kid, I loved Jillian Jiggs and the Pig book. Forget the name now ha.

3. Quick question–what size of brownie did you base your nutrition info on? (Wondering how many servings you used for the total pan)

1. 20 servings – It’s listed on the “nutrition facts” page :).

4. Anonymous says:

Oh man I hadn’t thought of those in years! I used to love ’em (even though they tasted like sugar covered plastic lol)

5. I thought your black bean brownies already tasted EXACTLY like a cosmic brownie, so if you were actually trying for a cosmic browie with these it can only taste BETTER. Excited to give it a try :)

6. These look delicious! I have never wanted to eat my computer screen more than I have today. 😉
    I love the Harry Potter series (they never get old), and I used to read the Box Car children.

7. I completely agree that reading a series is so much better! I hate getting to know and love a character and not having more books to read with that character in it!

These brownies looks absolutely decadent. I was just talking to a client of mine about Cosmic brownies and how rich they are earlier this week, he he. I love how you make treats healthier.

8. Jill says:

Oh, man! These look so good! I loved those Little Debbie Brownies growing up. Can’t wait to make these!

9. Michelle says:

This looks incredible!

10. Heather says:

Hi Katie,
    It would be helpful if you posted the serving size info clearly on both the recipe and nutrition pages for all of your recipes, right under the recipe title perhaps. Usually the number of servings and serving sizes (i.e. 20 servings from a 9×13″ pan) are buried in the description or comments.

BTW, I loved the Babysitter’s Club and Ramona books too, but my favorite were the various American Girls series. Loved the history in those books!

1. Hi Heather,
      The serving size for nutrition facts actually is stated in the nutrition facts, right under the label.

11. I read a LOT of books growing up, it was definitely a favorite hobby of mine. I read all the Babysitter’s Club books, and I remember another series favorite of mine was the Boxcar Children. My absolute favorite book was Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine (and I thought the book was very different from the movie that came out a few years back with Anne Hathaway).

1. That was my #1 all-time favorite book as well! I completely forgot about that… and yes, the movie just did not compare :(

12. Oh books…. I was all about The Babysitter’s Club, Nancy Drew, The Boxcar Children, and Little House on the Prairie books!

13. I love how your recipes always look so good, these look so most and pretty with the sprinkles! I think I would try using some of my espresso powder in place of coffee granules.

14. Ooooh, those look so fudgey and delicious! I read all of the Babysitter’s Club books too….and of course, EVERYTHING by Judy Blume that I could get my hands on. Loved Are You There God, It’s Me Margaret.

15. I used to LOVE eating these at lunchtime in high school! Thanks for re-creating a favorite!

16. I, too, was a book worm as a child. My nose is still in books, but I will take a break to try these!

17. Andie says:

OMG!!! Katie you have NO idea how excited I am!! Little Debbie brownies have to be my biggest guilty pleasure EVER. I haven’t had one since I went vegan, so I am literally ecstatic. Thank you!!

Also, I remember reading the Fudge and Babysitter’s Club books too! Whenever someone mentions a book that I read as a child it brings back all these nostalgic memories…alas, I don’t have as much time to read anymore, but when I do, I often need suggestions because I never can decide on what to read! :p

18. I read TONS of books as a kid. I read all the American Girl books, Babysitter’s Club, Sweet Valley High, Nancy Drew, most of the Beverly Cleary books, etc…

One summer the library did a book club for kids and for every so many books you read you would earn a slice of pizza from the local pizza place. I read constantly because I wanted to get FULL pizzas. I think I ended up getting 2 full ones plus an extra slice when it was all over. Good memories :)

19. Mmm… these look so good! I remember eating Little Debbie’s Cosmic Brownies all the time as a kids, and while they were tasty they’re a little scary now. I’m pretty sure they could survive a nuclear holocaust!
    I was really into the Little House on the Prairie as a kid, I even own the box set of books!

20. Jackie says:

Can you provide more details about the type of tofu you used (firm, soft, light, regular, etc…)? Thanks! I really want to make these as my daughter loves Cosmic brownies and I cringe at the thought reading the ingredients and nutrituion facts…

1. You can use silken OR you can blend mori-nu silken firm with the other liquid ingredients prior to mixing.

21. To a fellow Katie: I LOVE your use of sprinkles and colours in that photo! I will have to try this one for sure.

22. Emily Gorman says:

LOVE these brownies and Judy Blume as well! My all-time favorite books were the Babysitter’s Club :)

Is there a substitution for the tofu? More applesauce or something else? Thank you!!

1. A substitution is listed in the recipe ingredients :)

23. Mandie says:

Hey Katie,

I used to eat Cosmic Brownies all-the-time at my grandmother’s house when I was little :-) But they are SO bad for you! Nice thinking to make a healthy copycat recipe!

I was wondering, would you consider these brownies more cake-y or chewy???

Thanks!

1. I guess somewhere in between!

24. I was so excited to see these! When you had the fudge bars guest post a couple of weeks ago I thought, “those look good, but what I really want is a homemade Little Debbie fudge brownie!” You read my mind and I can’t wait to try them. Thanks!

25. AmAnDa says:

Brownies? YESSSS PLEASE! Copycat cosmic brownies? MINNNNNNEEEEEEE!!!

26. RunEatRepeat says:

I kinda love that they have sprinkles on them too :)

27. April says:

Hi Katie! I noticed that you use spelt flour a lot in your recipes and list all-purpose as an alternative. Do you use whole spelt or white spelt? Thank you so much, these look really really delicious…

1. whole-grain

But you can use either. In my experience, white flour can almost always be substituted for ww. (Not always the other way around, though.)

1. April says:

Oh that’s great thank you so much! :) White flours don’t usually make me feel very good (I’m actually just adding spelt flour back in after testing gluten free for a long time) so I was hoping that would be your answer :) I guess whole spelt flour is lighter in baked goods than whole wheat? I think I’m going to try your pop tarts soon :)

28. gayle says:

Thank you for the “print recipe” button!

29. Jane says:

I just got so excited and yelled “OH MY GOD!” so loudly my husband woke up and ran out of the bedroom to ask me what was wrong. Cosmic Brownies are one of my deep dark comfort foods and I could no longer eat them or have them in the house because my son is anaphylactic to milk. Thank you so much for this recipe!

30. Jenny says:

These brownies look like a fantastic, basic brownie! I’d love for you to submit it to my latest Food Holiday Link Party – the theme this week is chocolate! In case you want to link up: http://www.ratetheplateutah.com/2013/02/food-holiday-link-party-chocolate-month.html Thanks!

31. Marisa G. says:

Will Bob’s Red Mill GF Flour work?

1. Alanna says:

It might, but I’d check some other posts for recommendations — it seems like when subbing GF flours you need to add xantham gum or something else to help bind everything together.

Speaking of different flours, I saw an email today advertising this company that sells all sorts of varieties (many GF): http://www.organicsproutedflour.net/sproutedflour.html
      Might be worth checking out!

32. Deidre says:

I love the “Little PeeWees” books, I LOVED Beverly Cleary’s Romona books as well! And my all time favorite was Charlotte’s Web, :) even as a kiddo it made me cry. LOL Oh hey Katie I was wondering on your recipe page if the title “Frostings”, Would it be a good idea to add “Frostings & Nut Butters” as the title instead? LOL because for a second there I thought they were gone and didn’t know where to look, :) hehe! I love this blog:D!
    P.S. You’re awesome!

1. Thanks for the tip! I will see if I can change it (and if not, I will ask my internet design guru, Julie).

33. Those look delicious! It’s almost midnight and I am craving chocolate now 😉

34. Tami Lewis says:

I really really think you should make a healthy version of the Zebra cakes!! Love them but not all the nasty processed gunk in them…haven’t even eaten one in years! Just a thought..

1. Torri Egan says:

I would LOVE That!

35. Tami Lewis says:

I think you should make Zebra cakes next!!

1. Jessica says:

Yesss, I second that!! lol

36. Casey says:

Hi Katie! Just curious: I’m not a fan of coconut (not allergic, just don’t like the taste). Is there any good/healthy substitute for coconut oil for the frosting? I made your dark chocolate raspberry fudge cake the other day, and it was good minus the coconut flavor… yuck. Not your fault, just my personal preference. :) Would appreciate any insight you can give!

1. Alanna says:

If you like nut butter, I highly recommend her Reese’s Pieces Fudge Frosting recipe!

2. I have heard that palm oil works the same. Not sure about it, though, as I’ve never tried it. You could also just melt chocolate chips and spread over top!

1. CC says:

Sorry, just had 2 chime in…be aware though that palm oil is causing serious problems 4 the orangutan… just so u know before u go that route…

Speaking on behalf of those who can’t 4 themselves,
        CC

2. Brandi says:

Agree. Palm oil is obtained from the trees that orangutans need to live. They are dying because their habitat is being ripped fom them, so greedy companies can sell palm oil….which is also known as vegetable oil. It’s very sad.

3. Thank you both for bringing this to my attention. I had no idea it was such an issue until you mentioned it, so I did some research (from what I think are reputable sources)… and I’m pretty much appalled. Not that I’ve ever bought plain palm oil before, but I think it’s in some of the things I use on occassion (Earth Balance?). I’d be surprised if it’s true a company as vegan-friendly as EB would be taking part (which is what some of the research told me). Now I’m not sure what to believe and will have to email the company. Is there anything else I should know about the issue? I try to stay on top of environmental issues and unethical business practices, but unfortunately there are so many :(.

4. Anonymous says:

Katie check out Animal Cruelty Exposed here on Facebook. They can answer questions. They research EVERYTHING. Unfortunately even vegan products still use questionable ingredients….pretty much it’s always about making money.

5. Marissa says:

Katie,

Please let us know of your email response from Earth Balance. They need to get rid of the palm oil in their products!

3. Rosalie says:

You could try out a refined organic coconut oil. They are neutral but still have the melting point that makes coconut oil so useful. Don’t let the connotations of “refined” turn you off–it’s not hydrogenated or anything :)

1. Casey says:

Thanks Rosalie! I’ll definitely try this :)

37. Lisa says:

I liked a book called “Katie Did it” about a girl who gets blamed for everything. That book was really just a small kids book and I have a favorite cousin named Katie so I partly liked it because of that. However, when I got to about 3rd grade I liked The Chronicles of Narnia book series. All those book titles you mentioned brought back memories. I loved the Ramona books too!

38. LJ Briar says:

I never bothered with Goosebumps and went straight to the Fear Street books. I also read a lot of Stephen King.

On the less gruesome end of the scale, I too read many of the BSC books, and tons of the Thoroughbred and Saddle Club series.

39. Stephi says:

These look so good!!! Yum…. I also read Judy Blume books as a kid.

40. I love your brownie recipes, they taste just as fudgy and decadent as the real thing. I also tried your frosting shot as frosting for some healthy chocolate cupcakes I made for my Oscars party last Sunday and they were a hit!

1. I am so excited they turned out well. Thanks for making them!

41. Jennifer says:

Hey Katie, I just wanted to let you know how much I love your blog!!! Not only are your recipes fabulous but I really love all your stories and commentaries you add in. I bet your as fabulous as your recipes!! :). Thank you for all the recipes! My family loves them!

42. Kerry says:

These look so yummy AND I have all the ingredients. Happy Cheat Meal dessert for me this weekend! Thank you so much!

43. petrina says:

To answer the question: Judy Blume, Beverly Cleary, The Encyclopedia Brown series, and just about anything else I could get my hands on! A question about the tofu, I have some mori-ni silken firm in my fridge right now, so how much would 6 tablespoons equal in terms of 1/4 of a block, 1/2 of a block, etc. Do you know? Of course I could just get out my tablespoon and measure but I wondered if there was an easier measurement. Thanks!

1. To be honest, the easiest way is to get a food scale.

But according to the package, 84 grams is 1/4 of a block, so you can use that as a reference.

1. petrina says:

Thanks for replying! I need to get me a digital food scale for sure. I have one of those old-fashioned ones that just has a dial and is not very accurate.

44. Sam says:

I loved the Babysitters Club and Goosebumps series too, thanks for jogging some great childhood memories!

And this looks very yummy too :)

45. Wow these look delicious!!! Love that they are vegan!

46. Ah, little debbie brownies. I loved those things as a child. I pinned this and am so making it! 😀

47. Spencer says:

Looks like the perfect pick me up for a rainy day! I would love to try some.

48. vesper says:

Hello Katie! I really have enjoyed so far recipes on your blog, one little think though: I personally find the repetitive pictures of the end result a tad overwhelming. I think you could highlight your work much more by adding a couple of pics of the process and one or two of the final product. That would be a nice balance and would give an idea to your readers if the batter is too thin or too thick etc…

1. Hi Vesper,

I asked awhile back about posting “in process” photos, and the general consensus was that unless it was a super-complicated recipe, people preferred they be left out.

2. Sherlock says:

I Agree Vesper. Would prefer to see the process myself.

49. These look delicious…not to mention, great pictures! Did you take a photography class or learn on your own? I’m making a huge effort to improve the photos for my blog…but one can only do so much with “Photography for Dummies!” lol!

1. This made my morning :).

I’ve learned (and am still learning) mostly from experience and A LOT of practicing and reading tutorials online. I also loved the book Plate To Pixel by Helene Dujardin. I would love to go to a food photography workshop someday, but have never seen any around where I live.

1. Lisa @bitesforbabies says:

I’m glad! I know how it feels to get positive feedback! I just started “teaching” myself but I have a long way to go. Thanks for the book tip by the way…I’m looking for it on amazon as we speak 😉

50. Christie says:

My favorite books were anything by Beverly Cleary, and The Three Investigators series!! Brownies look yummy!