Creamy Cauliflower Alfredo Sauce

Cauliflower Alfredo Sauce – ultra creamy, delicious, and perfect for a healthy dinner!

Cauliflower Alfredo, from @choccoveredkt - low in calories, creamy and luxurious alfredo sauce can be made in under 20 minutes, from start to finish http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2013/05/06/creamy-cauliflower-alfredo-sauce/

So, it is May.

Cue the flowers and butterflies.

The flip flops, the sunshine, the fresh berries, the popsicles.

Right? Right??

Or, at least I thought that’s what is supposed to happen in May. But maybe I’m getting it confused with December. All I know is the weather this past week was decidedly non-sunshine. Grey clouds, gusting winds, and temperatures in the 30s? Nary a flip flop in sight. Put down those popsicles… Time for some comfort food!

Cauliflower Alfredo Sauce: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2013/05/06/creamy-cauliflower-alfredo-sauce/

And macaroni and cheese is some serious comfort food.

Although I make this healthy cauliflower alfredo sauce recipe quite often, I don’t usually bother to measure any of the ingredients; it’s very forgiving in terms of measurements.

I also like to make a similar vegan alfredo sauce using homemade cashew cream in place of the cauliflower. But that requires soaking the cashews the night before, and I’m not always thinking so far in advance.

In any case, this creamy cauliflower alfredo sauce will take care of some real alfredo cravings – without all the saturated fat and cholesterol you’d get from eating traditional alfredo sauce made with heavy cream. And by adding just one extra ingredient, you can easily turn the cauliflower alfredo into cauliflower mac and cheese if you’d prefer.

Plus you’re getting a vegetable serving at the same time!

Cauliflower Mac and Cheese

P.S. If you couldn’t tell from my oh-so-fancy pictures, I was much too hungry to worry about setting up a fancy photoshoot!

Five seconds after taking these pictures, the cauliflower alfredo magically disappeared!

pin-it

Cauliflower Alfredo Recipe

Print This Recipe 5/5
5/56

Ingredients

• 1 1/2 cups raw cauliflower (160g)
  • 1/4 tsp garlic powder, or 2 tsp minced
  • 1/4 to 1/2 tsp salt (depending on your taste preference for salt - I like 1/2 tsp)
  • 2 tbsp butter spread of choice, such as Earth Balance or Smart Balance Light (or sub 2 tbsp olive oil and a little extra salt if needed) (30g)
  • 1 cup milk of choice (240g)
  • optional: 1/2 cup of either of the following: nutritional yeast or mozzarella-style shreds (such as Daiya)
  • You can also add a little Dijon mustard or lemon juice if desired. Or sometimes I add dried oregano or rosemary.
Yield: 2 Cups

Instructions

Cauliflower Alfredo Sauce Recipe: Put all ingredients into a medium pot and bring to a complete boil, then cover and simmer 15 minutes or until the cauliflower is fall-apart tender. Pulverize with either an immersion or regular blender. Serve over cooked linguine, or elbow pasta (for cauliflower mac and cheese), or spaghetti squash, rice, steamed veggies, or whatever! Makes about 2 cups, and it gets much thicker as it sits.

View Alfredo Nutrition Facts

Link Of The Day:

homemade protein bars

Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Bars

Tags: , , , ,

1. Lisa says:

Oh yum! Alfredo was one of my guilty pleasures as a kid, but you know it’s not the healthiest. I haven’t had it in foreverrrr. I bet this would be amazing with a little cashew butter added too for some added creaminess (instead of the butter). Yep, we’ve been hit with super hot weather! I love it.

2. This strikes me as one of those “it’s just so crazy it may work” recipes! I’m a total alfredo fiend so I can’t wait to try this.

3. As a kid alfredo sauce scared me beyond all reason, but as a adult, I learned to love it. Soon it will be cauliflower picking time so going to hold this recipe nearby and give it a try!

4. Woaa! This is such a cool idea 😀 Such a sneaky way for my moms to add in some veggies to their kid’s meals too 😛

5. I love using cauliflower to make cream sauces! Why add unnecessary fat and calories when you can have a veggie instead, am I right?

1. trajayjay says:

because fat can make a meal satisfying, and richer. That being said, I don’t think that we should drop in a stick of butter, but I think that a little fat adds a little more flavor and richness to a dish, and it makes it more satiating. Veggies are good and all, but when they replace every indulgence in our diet, it’s a sad thing. I’m not trying to condemn this recipe, I’m just trying to answer your question “Why add unnecessary fat and calories.” It could also be to gain weight if you are underweight

1. I think you took my compliment as a genuine question. I’m NOT underweight, so I appreciate not adding fat to a recipe if I dont have to. I haven’t tried this version yet, but the versions I have tried have been plenty rich and I don’t really find fat satisfying (fatty foods definitely give me heartburn, nothing satisfying about that!). If you’re looking for fatty foods, I’m not sure Katie’s blog is the best place to find them.

1. trajayjay says:

I’m sorry, I’m really partial towards fat. I could eat about 2 cups of nuts a day, and I feel that they are the only foods that will satisfy me if I’m hungry.

1. Rachel says:

I’m sorry, but your comment sounds a tad ridiculous to me! “I’m sorry, I’m really partial towards fat” – do you realise you are on a site that offers amazing meals, tweaked so they may be a little healthier?! Thus making your comments completely out of place.
            I understand you like nuts, but nuts are good fats, another odd comment. And when a recipe seems high in fat, you are best looking into the ingredients as they may be amazing healthy foods that are bringing up the fat content.
            Clearly Kelly was asking a rhetorical question, and a good one at that, on such a site. 😉
            I am probably being a hypocrite here, but I’d suggest you don’t comment when you clearly have nothing useful to say.

2. Valerie says:

Trajayjay was simply explaining why some fat is necessary and welcome in many healthy dishes, so I can’t understand the nasty comment. Eating fat doesn’t make one fat. Carbs are the true devil. As a person with type 1 diabetes, I test my blood 10-12 times a day and can tell you that carbs affect blood sugar negatively, while fat doesn’t. For many of us, to eat a healthy diet requires very few carbs and a much higher ratio of fat.

3. Barbara Noon says:

Perhaps that is correct for Type I diabetes (I cannot say because I never studied it), but for Type II and any other person around, fat clogs arteries and puts weight on. There are 70 years of research which shows that countries who eat carbs such as rice, corn and grains as a main part of their diets have less heart disease, osteoporosis or diabetes. Dr. McDougall has articles showing that fat is a worse culprit than sugar in Type II diabetes.
            Children in our country have striations of fat around their aortas at 3 years of age. Any way to cut fat is good for health.

4. Barbara Noon says:

I put here some articles about Type 1 diabetes just to look at. I know Dr. McDougall often describes how medicines are increased due to how doctors handle illnesses. Again, such a serious condition as Diabetes 1 is something I don’t know much about, but I always like to show what different evidence is out there for people to check out and make decisions on their own.

2. Trajayjay says:

A lot of Katie’s recipes are high in fat. The fudge babies and the Samoa’s pie are two examples

1. wsand says:

I think that it is common to crave fats. And while I think this recipe looks delicious and is much healthier I think what was trying to be said before was just that even a small amount of fat can add richness that we crave. Enough to help us keep our on a “diet”. I think if you decide to eat healthy and you way restrict yourself too much you will eventually cave. If you find a way to combine healthy foods with just a small amount of fat, just enough to trick our bodies into being satisfied wih it then we can be much more successful in our healthy eating goals. Im not saying eat stick of butter a day. Just that if you compare regualr alfredo to a cauliflower alfredo with maybe just a tablespoon of butter will be satisfying while still cutting the calorie ajd fat count way down compared to alfredo with a roux and cream.

2. dolly says:

Can I just say to EVERYONE that there’s NO DEMON food group.
            The human body needs every single food group in order to be healthy healthy

The only problem is when people either consume a too high proportion of one particular food group thus neglecting the others.

Being overweight is caused by consuming too many calories.
            You could eat zero fat or zero carbs and eat all the finest proteins and vegetable and fruits and still be overweight if you are eating too many calories, regardless of their source.

Yes, you do need a smaller percentage of certain food groups, which is illustrated on such diagrams as the familiar picture of a plate which is pie chart for the different food groups but you should never cut any one group out UNLESS you have a medical condition such as diabetes etc which you need to control with a modified diet.

Also, being a normal weight (bmi) does NOT mean you are guaranteed to be healthy. you can eat appalling diet and not get overweight if you don’t eat over your calorie requirements.
            Also numerous studies and medical evidence is now able to show how fat can gather around your organs whilst remaining invisible to the eye. ‘Skinny’ people can be ‘fat inside’

Eat every thing in moderation and you will reduce cravings which are responsible for the common diet blues and frequently end up in someone binging on masses of food because their body is confused and craving what it has been denied. .

2. Leah says:

The olive oil and/or vegan butter is healthy fat in the recipe… I believe in eating healthy fats… I agree with trying to avoid unhealthy fats such as in a normal mac n cheese recipe. LOVE This recipe!!!

2. Rebekah says:

I’d like to know if it’s possible to make just as creamy without oil. I made an Alfredo sauce with tofu once but whatever else was in it wasn’t enough flavor.

6. Danielle says:

Katie, this looks great! I’m definitely going to make it soon. It’s funny you bring up the pumpkin recipes and feeling wintry. I’ve definitely been in an autumn state of mind. I even have a cinnamon and cranberry cake baking in my oven as I type this haha.
    – Danielle

7. Ohh I might try your vegan version, or maybe this one just on spaghetti squash!

8. Danielle says:

We must have gotten your good weather by mistake here in Canada! Its like we skipped Spring over here and went straight to summer!

1. Kayla says:

Right? Here in Northern BC it was over 25° C (around 80°F for those in the states) and wonderfully sunny the past three days. Today it isn’t quite as warm, but I’ll take it considering our last snowfall of the year where I am is May long weekend!

1. Danielle says:

Wow! That’s crazy for BC! Isn’t that pretty much as warm as it ever gets out that way?

1. Kayla says:

The warmest it gets where I’m from is around 30°. Last summer the warmest day was 32°, and that was in July! During the summer it’s usually about 25° though, just not in May!

9. This is perfect because I just got cauliflower at the store the other day. Great idea making this sauce! I also want to try mashed cauliflower. I hear it tastes like mashed potatoes! 🙂

10. Mmmm I love cauliflower in anything and am a big fan of these cauliflower substitution comfort food recipes – mashed cauliflowers, cauliflower pizza crust…so I’m more than willing to give this a try! I actually think it would make a great cold pasta salad sauce too for summertime BBQs :).

11. Michelle says:

This looks so yummy!

12. How creative! I would never have thought to try something like this. I just bought nutritional yeast a few days ago for the first time- I will have to try this recipe. 🙂

13. Cynthia says:

Just made the sauce for lunch – OMG delicious! Used some asparagus, zucchini, red onion and mushroom with some pasta…it was incredible. I didn’t have the mozzerella substitute so I did use a split of nutritional yeast and parm cheese. So creamy. Thanks for the recipe, it seriously rocks!

1. Thank you so much for trying it. I think you are the first person to actually make it :).

1. Susan says:

I just made it as a base for a tuna casserole for my daughter, who is gluten sensitive and lactose-intolerant. Just added some GF noodles, tuna and frozen peas. Delicious comfort food and a doable alternative to one of her favorites that she usually can’t enjoy. Perfect for a cold and rainy day!

14. Erica says:

Can this be made with frozen cauliflower?

1. I’ve never actually tried.

1. Bri says:

I made it with frozen cauliflower and broccoli and it was nice. There is lots of extra water in frozen caulis for some reason so keep that in mind.

2. TaraCardenas says:

I made this last night with frozen cauliflower and it turned out awesome! I just let it sit out to thaw first and made it like normal. I 3x the recipe and also added a cup of Parmesan after blending, it added a lot of flavor. This recipe is a keeper for sure!!

15. Jenni says:

Even LA is getting hit with some cold(er) weather. We’ve had a few warm days, but this morning it’s been raining on and off! Love this recipe. It’s the best when you can throw everything into one pot!

16. FoodFeud says:

This looks incredible! Cauliflower and its infinite possibilities.

17. Oh my goodness! Yum, yum, YUM!!! You’re always creating the BEST recipes ever, Katie! I bet my picky older (yes OLDER) sister would even like this! YAY!!! Thanks AGAIN Katie!!! 😀

18. Sadye says:

What, Texas got hit by the weird weather, too? I’m in Des Moines, Iowa, and two Sundays ago, I got sunburned and miserable during a half marathon, only to encounter inches of snowfall over Thursday-Friday. It’s nice now … crossing my fingers that we’ve turned the corner. Oh yeah, and the alfredo sauce looks delish and easy!

19. Love how there’s veggies in this one and it doesn’t take any overnight planning! I always change my mind the next day if I plan something the night before 😉