Oatmeal Muffins

Oatmeal Cupcakes

I’ll admit I don’t always eat a “perfect” healthy diet.

Especially in December, filled with so many holiday parties and family gatherings, it’s not uncommon for a few too many drinks and way too many Christmas cookies to sneak their way into my life.

Not to mention the homemade chocolate fudge, the bourbon pecan pie, and the Christmas zeppole (a traditional Italian dessert that is basically deep-fried dough coated in sugar. Sounds healthy, right? Maybe not… but they are really good!)

Chocolate Covered Katie

If you’re anything like me, you don’t even want to look at another Christmas cookie by the time January rolls around. (That feeling only lasts about two days… but still.)

These healthy oatmeal muffins are loaded with whole-grains, fiber and vitamins; the perfect remedy to counter all of those holiday cookie binges.

Oatmeal Muffins

Or that New Years Eve hangover… 😕

The pictured oatmeal muffins are frosted with Healthy Cream Cheese Frosting.

These healthy oatmeal muffins are loaded with whole-grains, fiber and vitamins. They are the perfect healthy breakfast remedy to help you get back on track after an ice cream or pizza binge the night before! Recipe here: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2014/01/06/oatmeal-muffins/

Oatmeal Muffins

• 1 cup milk of choice (240g)
  • 1 1/2 tbsp white or apple cider vinegar (21g)
  • 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup applesauce (120g)
  • 1 cup mashed banana, measured after mashing (240g)
  • 3 tbsp vegetable or coconut oil (30g)
  • 1 cup rolled oats (90g)
  • 1 1/2 cup spelt flour (200g) (Bob’s gf also works here)
  • 1/2 cup sugar of choice or xylitol (100g)
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips, optional

Oatmeal Muffins Recipe: Preheat oven to 400 F. Add liners to 15 muffin tins, and set aside. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the first 6 ingredients. In a separate large bowl, stir the remaining ingredients together. Pour wet into dry, and stir until just evenly combined (don’t overmix). Portion evenly into the muffin liners and bake 18 minutes. They will be a bit undercooked when you take them out… allow to cool uncovered for at least 20 minutes. Then, if possible, loosely cover and wait a day – water absorbs and texture is much firmer next day.

View Oatmeal Muffins Nutrition Facts

Oatmeal Muffins   oat muffins

Question of the Day:

What New Years resolutions did you make this year?

Have you been successful in keeping them so far? Losing weight and eating healthier are consistently two of the top ten New Years resolutions made every year… and statistics suggest that over 40% of people who make these resolutions will break them before February!

Link Of The Day:

homemade larabars

Homemade Larabar Recipes

♥ Chocolate-Covered Katie

Tags: , , , ,

1. Carroll says:

I am kinda tired of all the sugar! And I need some whole grains in my life.

2. Carroll says:

I am kinda tired of all the sugar! And I need some whole grains in my life.

3. Wow! Katie what a good idea! And these sound so yummy 🙂

4. Toni says:

Not only do these sound great, they look great!
    Thanks for posting it. I need “healthy” right about now.

5. becauseHeloves! says:

Wow! Those look good. I love baked oatmeal!
    I usually don’t make any New Year’s resolutions officially, but I always make it a goal to get closer to God.
    I find it hilarious that on January 1st and 2nd, the YMCA is PACKED with people doing all sorts of different stuff, and then two weeks later, it’s back to normal.

1. Emilylovesraisins says:

Lol i totally agree with you! One of my resolutions is to read my Bible more.

1. becauseHeloves! says:

Good luck!

6. Michelle says:

Looks great! Any way to do these w/o the added fat? I hate to add 3 tbsp. (I’m a Herbie.)

1. I’m not personally a fan of the texture of fat-free baked goods, but you are always welcome to experiment!

7. Emilylovesraisins says:

i’ve been eagerly checking your blog for today’s post and wow do these look good! I’ll have to try them soon.

8. denise says:

these look delicious!! happy new year!! xoxo

9. Lori says:

Can I just use whole wheat flour? Thanks, Katie!

1. Sorry, I’ve never tried it so I can’t say for sure.

2. Jenn says:

Lori dud u try glutened flour?

10. Kelly Wang says:

Hey Katie last week I made your ultimate chocolate fudge pie and finished the whole pie, all by myself, in two days. Yep, it was that good.

These are definitely on my to-do list. And by the way, great picture!! I think you look super pretty 🙂

11. Hollie says:

First these muffins look really good. Second, I love your nail color. Third as far as New Year’s Resolutions go: mine is to stay consistent with training. So far so good which is surprising LOL. I need a break from sugar for a while after these Holidays though. 🙂

12. Tammela says:

These sound great! Here are my New Year’s “intentions”: http://taplatt.wordpress.com/2014/01/01/year-in-review-2013/

13. Stefanie says:

Looks like a great quick breakfast. Yum!
    One of my New Year’s resolutions was to learn how to bake without refined sugar. I’ll probably be visiting your blog a lot!

14. EVA says:

I actually didn’t make any resolutions this year. Usually it’s “try to sing better” or some impossible goal that there’s no way I’ll ever achieve. I finally decided to give it up!
    Question about this recipe and all recipes in general: If I don’t have applesauce, can I just sub it with more mashed banana?

15. Renae says:

These sound delicious! I may make them today! Can they be made with whole wheat or almond flour? I don’t have any GF or spelt flour on hand.

As to resolutions, I tend not to make them. But in June of last year I got motivated to lose weight and took off 45 pounds. I have 60 more to go to make my goal and there is no stopping me! I also ran my first 2 5Ks this fall and plan to run at least 6 in 2014.

1. Sorry, I’ve never actually tried it.

2. Shelly says:

Wow! You rock! I need to lose about 30 lbs and am working on it – and have WALKED in a couple of 5K’s but can’t seem to RUN. (altho the last 5K i did sortof ‘run’ across the finish line. HA!)

Good Job, YOU!

16. Stephanie says:

You look so fantastic in pink! And I am loooving that polish, do you know what brand it is?
    These muffins also look great! I love exploring your blog for yummy and healthy new recipes! Thanks for all the inspiration 🙂

17. omg those look delicious! One of my new years resolutions was to better with my time… although being snowed in hasn’t been super helpful, all I want to do is be lazy!

18. Andrea says:

These look soooo good and pretty much like the perfect breakfast muffin!! my new go-to muffin recipe for sure. also…im sorry this is very random but I’m writing a bunch of scholarship essays in the hopes of getting a scholarship for college. if you voted for my essay, i would be extremely grateful!! It only takes 1 click. thank you so much!

19. Rebecca says:

So the muffins look wonderful. Eating breakfast everyday was actually one of my goals for the New Year! So excited to try some of your recipes. Oh and please please please tell me the color of the nail polish you are wearing in the pic, it is gorgeous and I must find it!

1. It’s OPI. I’m not actually sure of the color, as it belongs to a friend.

20. Noora says:

I have to try these tomorrow! 🙂