Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Oatmeal Muffins

Oatmeal Cupcakes

I’ll admit I don’t always eat a “perfect” healthy diet.

Especially in December, filled with so many holiday parties and family gatherings, it’s not uncommon for a few too many drinks and way too many Christmas cookies to sneak their way into my life.

Not to mention the homemade chocolate fudge, the bourbon pecan pie, and the Christmas zeppole (a traditional Italian dessert that is basically deep-fried dough coated in sugar. Sounds healthy, right? Maybe not… but they are really good!)

Chocolate Covered Katie

If you’re anything like me, you don’t even want to look at another Christmas cookie by the time January rolls around. (That feeling only lasts about two days… but still.)

These healthy oatmeal muffins are loaded with whole-grains, fiber and vitamins; the perfect remedy to counter all of those holiday cookie binges.

Oatmeal Muffins

Or that New Years Eve hangover… 😕

(The pictured oatmeal muffins are frosted with the following recipe: Healthy Cream Cheese Frosting.)

These healthy oatmeal muffins are loaded with whole-grains, fiber and vitamins. They are the perfect healthy breakfast remedy to help you get back on track after an ice cream or pizza binge the night before! Recipe here:

Oatmeal Muffins

• 1 cup milk of choice (240g)
  • 1 1/2 tbsp white or apple cider vinegar (21g)
  • 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup applesauce (120g)
  • 1 cup mashed banana, measured after mashing (240g)
  • 3 tbsp vegetable or coconut oil (30g)
  • 1 cup rolled oats (90g)
  • 1 1/2 cup spelt flour (200g) (Bob’s gf also works here)
  • 1/2 cup sugar of choice or xylitol (100g)
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips, optional

Oatmeal Muffins Recipe: Preheat oven to 400 F. Add liners to 15 muffin tins, and set aside. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the first 6 ingredients. In a separate large bowl, stir the remaining ingredients together. Pour wet into dry, and stir until just evenly combined (don’t overmix). Portion evenly into the muffin liners and bake 18 minutes. They will be a bit undercooked when you take them out… allow to cool uncovered for at least 20 minutes. Then, if possible, loosely cover and wait a day – water absorbs and texture is much firmer next day.

View Oatmeal Muffins Nutrition Facts

Oatmeal Muffins   oat muffins

Question of the Day: What New Years resolutions did you make this year?

Have you been successful in keeping them so far? Losing weight and eating healthier are consistently two of the top ten New Years resolutions made every year… and statistics suggest that over 40% of people who make these resolutions will break them before February!

larabar recipe
….Homemade Larabar Recipes

♥ Chocolate-Covered Katie

Tags: , , , ,

1. Carroll says:

I am kinda tired of all the sugar! And I need some whole grains in my life.

2. Carroll says:

I am kinda tired of all the sugar! And I need some whole grains in my life.

3. Wow! Katie what a good idea! And these sound so yummy :)

4. Toni says:

Not only do these sound great, they look great!
    Thanks for posting it. I need “healthy” right about now.

5. becauseHeloves! says:

Wow! Those look good. I love baked oatmeal!
    I usually don’t make any New Year’s resolutions officially, but I always make it a goal to get closer to God.
    I find it hilarious that on January 1st and 2nd, the YMCA is PACKED with people doing all sorts of different stuff, and then two weeks later, it’s back to normal.

1. Emilylovesraisins says:

Lol i totally agree with you! One of my resolutions is to read my Bible more.

1. becauseHeloves! says:

Good luck!

6. Michelle says:

Looks great! Any way to do these w/o the added fat? I hate to add 3 tbsp. (I’m a Herbie.)

1. I’m not personally a fan of the texture of fat-free baked goods, but you are always welcome to experiment!

7. Emilylovesraisins says:

i’ve been eagerly checking your blog for today’s post and wow do these look good! I’ll have to try them soon.

8. denise says:

these look delicious!! happy new year!! xoxo

9. Lori says:

Can I just use whole wheat flour? Thanks, Katie!

1. Sorry, I’ve never tried it so I can’t say for sure.

2. Jenn says:

Lori dud u try glutened flour?

10. Yum these look delicious are the perfect detox from the crazy holidays!

11. Kelly Wang says:

Hey Katie last week I made your ultimate chocolate fudge pie and finished the whole pie, all by myself, in two days. Yep, it was that good.

These are definitely on my to-do list. And by the way, great picture!! I think you look super pretty :)

12. Hollie says:

First these muffins look really good. Second, I love your nail color. Third as far as New Year’s Resolutions go: mine is to stay consistent with training. So far so good which is surprising LOL. I need a break from sugar for a while after these Holidays though. :-)

13. Tammela says:

These sound great! Here are my New Year’s “intentions”:

14. Stefanie says:

Looks like a great quick breakfast. Yum!
    One of my New Year’s resolutions was to learn how to bake without refined sugar. I’ll probably be visiting your blog a lot!

15. EVA says:

I actually didn’t make any resolutions this year. Usually it’s “try to sing better” or some impossible goal that there’s no way I’ll ever achieve. I finally decided to give it up!
    Question about this recipe and all recipes in general: If I don’t have applesauce, can I just sub it with more mashed banana?

16. Renae says:

These sound delicious! I may make them today! Can they be made with whole wheat or almond flour? I don’t have any GF or spelt flour on hand.

As to resolutions, I tend not to make them. But in June of last year I got motivated to lose weight and took off 45 pounds. I have 60 more to go to make my goal and there is no stopping me! I also ran my first 2 5Ks this fall and plan to run at least 6 in 2014.

1. Sorry, I’ve never actually tried it.

2. Shelly says:

Wow! You rock! I need to lose about 30 lbs and am working on it – and have WALKED in a couple of 5K’s but can’t seem to RUN. (altho the last 5K i did sortof ‘run’ across the finish line. HA!)

Good Job, YOU!

17. Stephanie says:

You look so fantastic in pink! And I am loooving that polish, do you know what brand it is?
    These muffins also look great! I love exploring your blog for yummy and healthy new recipes! Thanks for all the inspiration :)

18. omg those look delicious! One of my new years resolutions was to better with my time… although being snowed in hasn’t been super helpful, all I want to do is be lazy!

19. Andrea says:

These look soooo good and pretty much like the perfect breakfast muffin!! my new go-to muffin recipe for sure. also…im sorry this is very random but I’m writing a bunch of scholarship essays in the hopes of getting a scholarship for college. if you voted for my essay, i would be extremely grateful!! It only takes 1 click. thank you so much!

20. Rebecca says:

So the muffins look wonderful. Eating breakfast everyday was actually one of my goals for the New Year! So excited to try some of your recipes. Oh and please please please tell me the color of the nail polish you are wearing in the pic, it is gorgeous and I must find it!

1. It’s OPI. I’m not actually sure of the color, as it belongs to a friend.

21. Noora says:

I have to try these tomorrow! :)

22. Stephanie says:

Cannot eat bananas. What else can I use?

1. becauseHeloves! says:

Maybe more applesauce?

1. Stephanie says:

Wood more applesauce be to much of a liquid and if not, how much more do you think I should use?

1. Stephanie says:

Meant to say “Would” Also, should the cooking temp be the same and as I asked how long should it be cooked?

1. becauseHeloves! says:

I would say the cooking temp would be the same, and just sub an equal amout of applesauce for the banana. I *think* that would work.

2. Alanna says:

Applesauce should work, or pumpkin puree if you have it… just know you’ll probably need to add more sweetener since bananas add natural sugar.

23. Mmm, those look so delicious! You always have such great recipes!

24. Look at that, can’t wait to try it! You’re right about January not inducing cravings for sweets, alcohol and the like… By the way you look great!

25. Tina says:

Hi Katie! Hope all is going well for you! I was away for the holidays and missed making your recipes (although we did the peanut butter cup oatmeal a couple of times) anyway, loved how these muffins looked, so the first batch is in the oven. My son was helping me make them and said they smelled heavenly….just like frosting, lol!

26. Denise Young says:

Just curious on the Nutrition Facts, is that for 1 muffin??
    Thanks so much, I can’t wait to make them. My son and daughter in law are both personal trainers and I know they will LOVE it too!!

27. Val says:

Hi! I am trying to keep a diary for the whole year, writing in it at least once a week.
    I was wondering if any of your breakfast recipes this month will include sweet potato? I love sweet potatoes and I need some suggestions to make them more exciting! Thanks. :)

1. I don’t think so, but there might be some where you can sub sweet potato puree. Maybe in these, you could use it in place of the applesauce? Might be a fun experiment!

28. Ooh I love oatmeal and these look just divine. Happy New Year Katie!

29. Bring the breakfast foods! Another great recipe with coconut oil! :)

30. These look fantastic! Just pinned them to try sometime soon :)

31. Steph says:

I can’t get over how amazing you look these days! Whatever you’re doing, it’s working!

32. Kayla says:

My New Years resolutions the past few years were really unhealthy eating disorder driven ones. This year it’s just to stay in recovery and stay off the scale!

1. Hayley says:

I was just scrolling through the comments and came across yours and wanted to say good for you!! Love your resolution.

1. Kayla says:

Thank you so much! I’m excited to keep at it. I’ve been in recovery for almost 10 months but I definitely still struggle and want to give up at times!

1. Kayla says:

Thank you!

2. Rawaa says:

Hi Kayla ! I’ve just wanted to say that I too have been in recovery for 10 months !! Yes , it’s exhausting , but , isn’t recovery worth it ?!?? Stay strong !

1. Kayla says:

Hi! Awesome job! Recovery definitely is not easy. And definitely exhausting. But I would choose it ANY DAY over relapse. It is worth it. You as well!!

2. becauseHeloves! says:

Good luck!

33. Katy says:

I don’t think anyone ever eats a healthy diet 100% of time, those who say they do I don’t believe it 😉 These look super yummy and I bet they’re so chewy and soft. Pinned

34. Niki O'Neil says:

I’ve been looking for a new brekky idea to kickstart the new year and this looks like a delicious (and portable!) option. Perfect for popping in my lunchbox for work as well! Thank you for sharing :) Hope you’re enjoying 2014 thus far – Niki x

35. Van Lee says:

Hi Katie,

Our whole family loves your website and all the wonderful recipes. The Lentil Joe’s and various bars and brownie recipes are favorites.
    I feel odd asking you this, and I wouldn’t except you mentioned something once about offering to “like” people’s websites who’ve “liked” yours on their pages.
    You are definitely a “like” on my facebook.
    I just published my website about 3 weeks ago and wanted to ask if you wouldn’t mind checking it out and “liking” it. I design handcrafted jewelry from different metals and semi-precious stones. Thanks Katie and thank you again for all the wonderful recipes that keep us happy and healthy. Van

1. Hi Van,

I will check out your site right now :)

36. I have been on the chocolate wagon too much over the holidays, which has definitely sky rocketed my sweet cravings. I think I need to get on the healthy muffin train again to curb those cravings. Thanks for the idea, Katie!

37. Amanda says:

Do you know how I can make these high altitude friendly? I’m at about 5200 feet, and most of the baking I’ve done from your site hasn’t worked for just that reason. I’ve tried adding extra flour, but even that isn’t wildly successful. Thanks so much for sharing your awesome ideas! The no-sugar cookie dough dip opened me up to working with beans and dates – brilliant!

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Maybe just cook a little longer.

2. Amy says:

I bake at about the same altitude and just decrease the baking soda or baking powder by 1/4 (so 3/4 tsp instead of 1 tsp for example) and everything always turns out great!

38. WOAH! These look so hearty, yummy and healthy – I am in!! Happy New Year Katie!!

39. This looks so light and fluffy! I love seeing recipes with Spelt flour as a substitute for regular whole wheat or white.

40. No resolutions for me this year. I like to think that I am constantly striving to be my best, I don’t need a new year!

41. Masyn says:

So, I made these this morning just to try them out. The only flour we had in my house was white(which defeats the purpose of a healthy, whole grain muffin), and almond. Other than that though, I followed the recipe to a tee, and the muffins were a hit! My mom, who normally cringes at the taste of bad desserts (or in this case breakfasts) turned healthy LOVED THEM. As did my four year old sister and my dad. The almond flour made for a more dense muffin, but they also turned out extremely moist (sorry, I know many people detest that word) and had just the right amount of chewiness and sweetness. Unfortunately, I don’t think I will get to have too many myself – I guess I will just have to make more :p

42. Chassidy says:

I just took these out of the oven…they smell delish! We didn’t have spelt flour on hand, so I used half white, half wheat flour. My hubs sampled them and said they have a great taste and texture. They stuck to the liner a bit though, I’m hoping once they cool, they’ll peel away from it. Other than that, thanks for another great recipe! :)

43. These will be perfect for me; I need some on-the-go breakfasts this semester.

I made a ton of resolutions- all going well so far!

44. beth says:

may try these with replacing spelt for sorghum flour sometime…

1. Definitely be sure to report back if you do!

45. Katron says:

Can these be made with coconut flour or almond flour?

46. Diane says:

I made these and they were delicious! I used a GF All Purpose Baking Mix instead of spelt flour. I am going to make them again using cranberries or blueberries! Thank you!!

1. mary says:

Diane, thank you for mentioning GF All Purpose Baking Mix and cranberries, I used both, muffins in the oven, can’t wait to try them.

47. Bing says:

I just tried this recipe. It turned out really delicious. Just a little too sweet for me, perhaps, because I used super ripe bananas. I might decrease or omit the sugar next time.

48. Christine says:

Can you also use whole oats on this recipe?

49. Roxanne says:

Overall these muffins were great- however I would make a few changes. Definitely less oil- my finger tips were covered in oil when I ate them. Also I’d suggest adding more cinnamon as it enhances the apple-cinnamon oatmeal for breakfast experience. I’ll make these again with those changes. I prefer them warm, just microwave ten to fifteen seconds.

50. dee says:

What is spelt flour? also, when you say rolled oats do you mean “old fashioned rolled oats” or can you use quick oats?

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Google to see what spelt flour is. Use rolled oats in this recipe.

51. Genevieve says:

Hi! I just made these, and I really appreciate the healthy recipe so thank you for that! I’m just starting out revamping my diet (soy free, healthier) so I was so excited to bake these! I did a few substitutions that I thought you might want to know about. First, I didn’t do the sugar; I put in 1/3 cup raw organic blue agave nectar (reduced the milk by an 1/8 cup for this). I also used canola oil instead of vegetable oil, and only did 2 tbls because of a previous comment (and because of that comment, I also doubled the cinnamon…I’m a HUGE fan of cinnamon!). I just ate my first one–they don’t look as pretty as yours, they’re much chunkier and have a little bit a chewy texture but they are delicious! I have a huge sweet tooth, and although I know they would’ve been sweeter if I had stuck with the sugar, these are perfect for breakfast for me! And they would make great dessert with a little spread of something sweet on top. Thank you, again, for the recipe and I hope hearing my alterations helps!

52. Just finished my first batch.I added simisweet cho. Chips,chopped walnuts,cinnamon.raisens 2T ground flaxseed,hemp hearts.I pierced tops & drizzled melted butter on son said they were very good & he’s not an oatmeal eater.I plan to use applesauce instead of bananas& half oil& half butter next time….no cho.chips.I like them as well.very handy to have on hand for what ever.

53. Sarah B says:

I can’t use bananas. Could I use Greek yogurt or something else instead? I don’t want anything that would overpower the oatmeal taste. Thanks for this recipe – can’t wait to try it!

1. Alanna says:

See above — more applesauce or pumpkin puree should work, but you’d probably want more sweetener.

54. AnnaBananaBelle says:

I made these last night and had them this morning for breakfast and they were great! Well definitely be making again! I followed the recipe exactly using Bob’s gf and white vinegar. So delicious! love the sweetness from banana! I ate them with strawberry jam. Yum!

55. Nicole says:

What can we use besides spelt flour or all purpose? Could we use whole wheat pastry or coconut flour?

56. viyern says:

Hi Katie ! I just rediscovered your blog after some time and I’ve bookmarked just about every other recipe of yours, heh heh. They all look so good and I think you look beautiful 😀

57. Jean Smith says:

These are sooooo good. I doubled the batch so I could hand them out to friends (ahem, like that happened). I added raisins and coconut flakes and didn’t use as much sugar as the recipe called for. (I used brown sugar). Thanks, once again, Katie!

58. Heather S says:

Any suggestions on what to use instead of bananas in recipes like this? I have banana issues LOL

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

You can always experiment with other ingredients such as yogurt or maybe (maybe) applesauce. Be sure to report back if you do experiment!

59. Kate says:

Katie, this was awesome! I didn’t have any applesauce so I substituted apple butter from the local farmer’s market. I topped them with sugar glaze. They are delicious, and a great treat for my daughter’s lunchbox :)

Mom Body Spirit

60. Chin says:

Hi! These look delicious. I wonder if I could substitute spelt flour for something else? Like rice flour?

Not sure how this works.

61. Aliece says:

These look great, but isn’t there a muffin recipe with oatmeal and chocolate chips? I can’t find it…..

62. Elizabeth says:

I love the look of this recipe, and would love to make it to take as snacks when I have visitors and I drag them off hiking! However, I have some family members and friends who can’t eat bananas (or avocado!) due to being part of the latex family. Is there another fruit I could sub in for the banana? I often keep sweet potato or pumpkin around in addition to banana, would either of those work well?

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

You can always experiment to see if it works with sweet potato, and if it does please be sure to report back!

2. Eluzabeth says:

So I did a trial run tonight using up some canned pumpkin. Then seem to have turned out very well! And now my apartment smells delicious too :)

63. Diane says:

I pre-ordered your cookbook, so happy it was delivered today!! Full of amazing recipes, can’t wait to try them!

64. Emily Adams says:

Is there another flour I could use? I don’t have any spelt flour.

1. Melissa says:

I used whole wheat pastry flour and they were still very yummy!

1. Emily Adams says:

Thanks! I will have to make these.

2. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Other flours are listed right there in the ingredients…

65. Melissa says:

Hello! This is the first recipe of yours I tried (I know out of all the ones to try first why not a dessert??). I fell in love with these muffins. Very moist and an excellent breakfast to pair with eggs and fruit. Will definitely make again! Just wanted to say thank you for the recipe.

66. sybil says:

Katie, These look delicious, nourishing, and filling! I can’t wait to try them.
    Do you suggest giving the muffin liners a quick spray with Smart Balance?
    Or will the potential sticking-to-the liner issue solve itself once they cool? Thank you for all the awesome and imaginative recipes!

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Let them sit a day, and they’ll pop right out the next day. Or just forgo the liners altogether.

67. Cathy says:

I am new to your site and just tried the oatmeal muffins, they are absolutely fabulous! I left out the choc chips and instead added 1/3 cup each coconut flakes, dried cranberries and chopped walnuts. Otherwise followed recipe using Splenda and coconut oil. No muffin liners and just butter coated my stoneware muffin pan. Waited the 20 mins and they came out no problem. I couldn’t wait to try and just had a warm one – Really wonderful – thank you!!

68. stephanie says:

Question about the vinegar and milk. Are you doing this to produce homemade buttermilk? If so I thought you mix them together and they have to sit for like 5 min. before using.

1. This is why the liquids are listed first. They sit as you mix together the remaining ingredients, giving them plenty of time to turn to buttermilk.

1. stephanie says:

Gotcha. Thanks.

69. Rachel says:

We LOVE these muffins – so simple and healthy!

70. Cynthia says:

Katie! I so enjoy your recipes…but I have a question for you!!

Most of your recipes say sugar of your choice or xylitol. But I want to know what kind of sweetener YOU choose! Do you usually use white sugar, or do you most often use xylitol? Thanks so much for your honest reply!!

71. Jolene says:

Oooh these look so yummy especially with the healthy frosting! I have a little toddler who hates every type of food except cupcakes (He is so picky!), I think these little muffins will trick him into thinking it’s a cupcake and still be healthy hehe!