Sign up for NEW free healthy recipes - Currently over 300,000 subscribers!

Homemade Entenmann’s Mini Chocolate Donuts

Ingredients: 1/2 cup flour, 3/4 tsp baking powder, 1/8 tsp salt, 2/3 cup... @choccoveredkt

Just 35 calories each… including the frosting!

Entenmann’s Mini Chocolate Cake Donuts have been on my “healthy makeover” list for a long time. Growing up, they were always one of my favorite junk foods, and on more than one occasion I tried to sneak them into my mother’s grocery cart when she wasn’t looking.

homemade donuts

Sadly, those store-bought chocolate donuts are far from healthy with their 42 ingredients (forty-two?!), the first of which is partially-hydrogenated shortening.

Additionally, each Entenmann’s mini donut includes high fructose corn syrup, polysorbate 60, artificial colors, artificial flavors, and preservatives. Not exactly a healthy breakfast…

The makeover version below has been kid-tested-and-approved.

An equal-weight serving has half the calories, much less fat, and twice the amount of protein and fiber as the originals!

Homemade Entenmann’s Mini Chocolate Donuts

Adapted from: Homemade Krispy Kreme Donuts

• 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar or white vinegar
  • 1/3 cup milk of choice
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 tbsp coconut or vegetable oil (15g)
  • 1/2 cup spelt or all-purpose flour (65g) (A reader had success with Bob’s gluten-free ap flour.)
  • 3/4 tsp baking powder
  • 2 1/2 tbsp xylitol or sugar (30g)
  • pinch pure stevia extract or 1 extra tbsp sugar
  • 1/8 tsp salt

Combine first four ingredients in a small bowl, and whisk well. Preheat oven to 350 F and grease a mini doughnut pan if you have one. (If you don’t have a doughnut pan, you can cook in a mini muffin tin to make doughnut holes.) In a medium measuring bowl, combine all remaining ingredients and stir well. Now pour wet into dry and immediately pour as much of the batter into the pan as will fit, filling each of the spaces up about halfway. Bake 8 minutes, then allow to cool before removing. Bake the second batch the same way as you did the first.

Chocolate Coating: Mix together 2 tbsp pure maple syrup, 2 tbsp melted coconut oil, and scant 3 tbsp cocoa powder. If it’s not a thin sauce, gently heat until it becomes thin. (Coconut-free version: You can simply melt chocolate chips with a little shortening. Spectrum brand has no partially-hydrogenated oil.) Dip each doughnut in the frosting, either halfway or fully. Place on a wire rack, then refrigerate to “set” the frosting. Coconut oil melts at room temperature, so if you use the coconut version it is best to store these in the fridge. Makes about 18-20 coated doughnuts.

View Nutrition Information

Vegan Donuts

Question of the Day:

What’s your favorite type of donut? Frosted or Glazed?

Or something entirely different, like strawberry, powdered sugar, or Boston Cream Pie donuts? At Dunkin’ Donuts, I loved glazed donuts above all else, but with Entenmann’s it was always about the chocolate!

Link Of The Day:

Chocolate Chip Breakfast Cookies

Tags: , , ,

1. I just posted this morning about Entenmann’s cookies! All about how I recall their fat free cookies and how I loved them and wonder if I were to eat them today if they would still taste good to me. I am so excited to try this donut recipe! I used to love Entenmann’s chocolate crumb donuts and of course, their classic chocolate frosted.

2. Wow! These look fabulous. These were always a treat on road trips growing up, but I haven’t had them since then. I must try them.

3. Lisa says:

Wonderful!!!! Now PLEASE post the recipe for chocolate batter for donuts that you photographed so LONG AGO! Thank you for all the recipes! 🙂

1. Laura says:

I used this same recipe to make a chocolate donut batter. I just added 1 tbsp. + 1tsp of cocoa powder and I added a packet of stevia. They were delicious!

4. D says:

My family will go nuts when they hear of this recipe. I remember my favorite dougnut was glazed or chocolate. But sometimes I was attracted to the strawberry or vanilla frosted ones with the sprinkles on top. You are awesome Katie! I cannot wait to purchase your book when it becomes available.

5. Dorian says:

Yesterday, I was actually telling a co-worker about how much how much I miss these. Definitely going to try!

6. Jennifer Walker says:

Yum Katie! My kids will love these.. Thank you.

7. Shonalika says:

I’m a bit weird in that generally speaking I’m not at all into doughnuts, especially not the typical “Simpsons” style. I find them very unsatisfying, like a bland sugary thing with some glaze or frosting on it to cover up the fact that the doughnut itself isn’t that great… Filled jam doughnuts without the circle shape are a bit better, but even then I find I’m usually really just after the jam, the rest of the doughnut doesn’t do much for me. I did have some amazing plain, sugar-covered doughnuts just once from a vendor – but they’d been made fresh. And it was the middle of the night, it was cold, and I was starving so a hot, sugary doughy deliciousness was EXACTLY what I needed – a situation that probably won’t occur very often in future sadly. xD

I think half the reason I don’t like regular doughnuts is because I can practically taste the bland emptiness of the flour. Your wholegrain versions look WAY more hearty and appealing:D

8. Kim S. says:

My seven year old’s favorite sweet. I picked them up yesterday and then put them back down in the store yesterday. I’m going to make these, I have all the ingredients on hand too.

9. They look so appetizing! I’ve read a lot about Entenmann’s but it isn’t available here. So of course I have to try these 🙂
    I only like oven baked home made gluten free donuts with lots of chocolate frosting! This is my favourite so far:

10. Mmmm delicious! Chocolate donuts are DEFINITELY my favorite!

11. EVA says:

YAAARGH I wish I could have coconut!

My mom used to only buy these delicious little prizes for the annual camping trip every summer, along with the Entenmann’s mini chocolate chip cookies that are somehow the most moist and addictive cookies out there. I don’t know HOW they do it, and I don’t know HOW I was able to inhale those through my nose.

As a wee one, I’d polish off a box of glazed Krispy Kreme donuts myself every single Sunday. And somehow I was still underweight! Those were always my favorites. I was never a fan of cyclops donuts though. I tried to understand the fad but could never enjoy it knowing that I could have a glazed donut instead!

1. Rebekah says:

i use applesauce for oil in baking. You could try that. I made need to use melted chocolate chips for the glaze. But I have made these before and I think I used another glaze recipe.

12. EVA says:

Wait, I forgot to profess my love for DONUT HOLES! The sugar ones specifically.

And I forgot to profess my hate for filled donuts. Oh the horror

13. Kelli says:

Oh how I loved Entenmann’s when I was growing up! Loved their doughnuts and Danish and those crumby coffee cakes…. But the best by far were Dunkin Donuts chocolate glazed donuts! If only they were vegan……

14. Nikindra says:

Oh my goodness, I used to love these when I was a kid!!! Can’t wait to try the recipe!

15. Jo says:

we don’t have dunkin donuts here but im in love with krispy kreme and tim hortons donuts! glazed is definitely my preference, i just love the way the sugary glaze melts in my mouth

16. These donuts look like a little piece of heaven Katie! Excited to try them!!

17. Lindsay says:

I’m so excited to try these – they look delicious! I’m not normally much of a donut person, but these may just change my mind …

18. Cindy says:

It looks like there are little orange flecks in the donut – looks like shredded carrot? But I don’t see anything that would be orange on the ingredient list…?

1. EVA says:

I turned up the brightness all the way on my laptop and think you are just seeing the lighting that comes off of the chocolate glaze and the shadows within the donut as orange. Perhaps whatever filter she used to edit these photos were set to a red opaque, which warms the tones of the neutral colors.

Sorry if that doesn’t make any sense to you, I’m an artist and am always ready at the prowl to help troubleshoot a predicament such as this!

19. Joanna says:

Oh Em Gee…They look perfect! And I love that they are so much healthier than the original! 🙂

20. Mia says:

I used to love these as a kid! I will definitely be trying this recipe out in the near future. Thanks 🙂