Get two new free healthy recipes each week. Sign Up

Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Mini Muffins

Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Mini Muffins: https://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2014/06/02/chocolate-chip-banana-bread-mini-muffins/

As I hinted in my Chocolate Guinness Brownies post, there are probably quite a few things about me that, even in seven years of blogging, have never come up and might surprise some people!

For instance, I don’t know that I’ve ever mentioned on here how much I love to dance—any kind of dancing; I love it all. Pretty much every weekend, you can find me trying to persuade my friends to go out dancing with me. Sometimes they give in to my appeals, and we put on our comfortable shoes for a night on the town. (I once made the mistake of wearing heeled knee-high boots to go out dancing. Absolutely never again.)

Banana Mini Muffins

A couple of weeks ago, after friends stayed over following a night of dancing, I found myself in need of a quick and easy breakfast that I could make with limited supplies.

Because… you know… when your name is Chocolate-Covered Katie, it is expected that there will always be food at your apartment to feed your friends, regardless of whether or not you were out all night and therefore had no time to prepare said food.

These homemade mini muffins—inspired by my Homemade Hummingbird Cupcakes—were measured, baked, cooled, and plated before anyone else had even thought about waking up.

Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Mini Muffins

Banana Chocolate Chip Mini Muffins

(makes 30-35 mini or 11 large)

• 1 cup mashed banana (240g)
  • 2 tbsp milk of choice (30g)
  • 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 2 tsp white or apple cider vinegar
  • 3 tbsp vegetable or coconut oil (30g)
  • 1 cup spelt or all-purpose or Bob’s gf flour (130g)
  • only if using the gf flour, add 1/4 tsp xanthan gum
  • 1/2 tsp plus 1/8 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips, optional
  • 1/3 cup xylitol or sugar of choice (65g)
  • pinch stevia or 1 extra tbsp sugar of choice

*Note: You will get fewer muffins if omitting the chocolate chips. Preheat your oven to 350 F, and line a mini muffin tin with  liners. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together first 5 ingredients. In a separate bowl, combine all of the remaining ingredients and stir well. Pour wet into dry, and stir until batter is just evenly mixed. Pour into the muffin liners and bake 15 minutes (19-20 minutes for regular-sized) or until muffins have domed and a toothpick comes out clean from the center. Allow to sit 10 minutes before removing from the muffin tin. After a day, it is best to refrigerate or freeze leftover muffins.

Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins Nutrition Facts

Vegan Mini Muffins

Mini Banana Bread Muffins  Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Mini Muffins

Question of the Day: Dancing: Do you love it or hate it?

protein bars

Get Free Recipes

Don’t Miss Out On The NEW Free Healthy Recipes

Chocolate Covered Katie The Healthy Dessert Blog Recipes

Popular Right Now

Reader Interactions

104 Comments

Leave a comment or reviewLeave a rating
  1. Lola says

Mmm… Yum they look so incredibly delicious.And I love muffins in the morning. Can’t wait to try! P.S. I love dancing although I am not very good at it.

2. N says

This is my first post on your blog, and I have been reading your blog for months! Lol. Anyway, I love your blog and it inspired me to make my own blog!

3. Lucy says

I just made these using Splenda (actually the Japanese equivalent, substituting rhubarb and ginger for the choc chips. Amazing! Moist and sweet and tangy, and brilliantly low cal. Thanks so much for the recipe! 🙂

• Lucy says

P.S. Dancing… I did ballet, tap and modern for about 10 years so my balance and rhythm are pretty good. Unfortunately my moves these days are like a drunk dad at a wedding in the 80s XD
      Might have something to do with the fact that I can only be persuaded to a club when I’m drunk. But anyway, it certainly is fun!!

• Chris says

Have you tried xylitol, or lakanto? You can bake with those and they are much better (healthier) sugar substitutes and taste really good.

• Lucy says

Yeah actually I did use lakanto, because it’s easier to get my hands on out here than the others. It’s worked pretty well in baking so far, yeah! 🙂
        Is lakanto actually Japanese, do you know? Or did it originate in another country?

4. Nikki says

Why don’t you have a YouTube Channel – you would have so many followers?!

Still waiting on that book :p *Excited*

5. Tricia says

Delicious! Made the batter with regular flour and sugar. I also froze some of the batter and eat it as a treat every so often. Will definitely make again. Nothing beats your banana bread though. I can only make it every few months b/c I eat the whole thing in one day. Keep up the great work Katie!

6. Josie says

I loooove dancing…especially ballroom dancing…it is so fun to go out on the dance floor and actually know what your doing and having fun, instead of pretending and having to concentrate.

7. sarah says

Soo… I have a serious question. Which do YOU like better… this recipe or your fat free banana bread? I know you’ve said you don’t like fat free baked goods, and while I generally agree, your fat free banana bread is the BEST banana bread I’ve ever had! Ever! So when my bananas ripen up, I am wondering if I should try this recipe or stick with your other…and just add chocolate chips (or peanut butter chips! which is what I did last time)! Would love to hear your thoughts!
    P.S. you are beautiful! Inside and out!

8. Courtney says

Hey Katie! I love your blog 🙂 And I know you’ve probably heard this a LOT, but I can’t help but say that you are so beautiful!

And the dancing thing – hmmm…I have no idea because I don’t dance (maybe :P)…Okay maybe I do.

9. Jess says

1/2 cup mashed banana (only had one left after the bf scoffed a few yesterday)
    Almond milk
    Apple cider vinegar
    Coconut oil
    All-purpose flour

I left out the sugar. The ingredient subs I chose to use are as above. It ended up being 24 mini muffins, and each muffin is about 46 calories using the brands I had on hand 🙂 Thanks Katie, satisfied my chocolate craving for sure!

10. Dia says

So im making this as I type but instead of using the choc chips I used the homemade choc bar chopped into pieces. While I was mixing them together they melted and now its more like choc swirl banana muffins. Still yummy though, just thought it was unfortunate the choc chips melted before going into the oven. I wish they tasted more chocolatey. Overall great recipe!

11. Emily says

Made this for fathers day with gluten free flour. I never add in xanthan gum. They turned out super yummy 🙂

12. Vanessa says

Wow, these are good! I used white whole wheat, coconut oil and coconut sugar. They browned really nicely but they don’t taste coconut-y. My only question is when using coconut oil how do you keep the oil from seizing up? I had to heat up the whole mixture to get the oil to dissolve. It worked but is there a better strategy?

• Unofficial CCK Helper says

Use melted coconut oil to begin with, and make sure all other ingredients are at room temp.

13. Laurie says

I tried to scroll through to see if this question was already asked, sorry if it’s here but I missed it. Wondering if I can use coconut flour? I know coconut flour is a little different than other GF flours. Any idea how much I’d use in this recipe or maybe not recommended?

14. Lonna says

I just made these and have to say they are the best recipe I’ve ever tasted. I didn’t have any chocolate chips so I cut up at Hershey bar. Next time I will omit the sugar and try it without. My kids love these as well. Thank you for all the delicious and healthy recipes!

15. Mary says

Had one very ripe banana saying make me into something delicious, so I mashed it with some applesauce, substituted blueberries for chips, added chopped walnuts, cinnamon, sugar crumbs on the top. Baking right now. Sad I can’t taste them til after my dr appt, no food/drink for 2 more hours. The smell of the cinnamon is wonderful. Can’t wait to try them. Love all your recipes Katie, little or no sugar and GF.

16. Kathryn says

I made these today for a celebration of life honoring my mother in law. They are fantastic! I love that they’re light and fresh tasting, and not overly sweet. My two little boys are obsessed with them too. Good thing I made a double batch!

17. Miriam says

Can I use any gluten free flour blend or does it have to be Bob’s. I have a corn allergy and I’m not sure if Bob’s has corn, but a lot of the gf flours do.

18. Monica says

Katie – I had to write to tell you how awesome these muffins are. Truly! I have made this recipe *at least* 5 times this summer. My kids absolutely inhale them. My friends tell me I should make them every week. 🙂 It is an excellent, easy, delicious and fail-proof recipe. Thank you!!

19. Veronika says

These look amazing! I plan to make them tomorrow morning, but I just realized I only have agave nectar, maple syrup and brown rice syrup at home, no sugar, so I will have to sub. Fingers crossed I don’t mess it up. 😉

• Unofficial CCK Helper says

3 tbsp IS 30g. If you measure out 3 tbsp of oil with measuring spoons, some will stick to the spoon, so you really get around 30g of oil into the baked goods. For accurate measuring, it’s always a good idea to go with the gram measurements.