Get two new free healthy recipes each week. Sign Up

Healthy Vegan Oreos

These healthy and vegan Oreos give you the same deliciousness of the original, without all the high fructose corn syrup or trans fat!

pin-it

America’s favorite cookie gets a healthy makeover –

Unlike Oreos, the cookies above can be whole-grain, with no soy, corn syrup, or artificial flavors.

They are also much lower in sugar than packaged Oreos, and they just so happen to be vegan as well!

And just in case you were wondering…

pin-it

Yes, they really do taste like Oreos.

Maybe better. Homemade always tastes better.

Healthy Cookies Recipes – Over 100 Recipes

healthy oreo cookies

pin-it

Do you know any Oreo lovers?

Oreos are known as America’s favorite cookie, with over 70 million Oreos sold each day!

Who is eating all those Oreos???

THE BEST EASY VEGAN OREOS

pin-it

Healthy Vegan Oreos

Also Try These Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies

Healthy Vegan Oreos

Total Time: 10m
Yield: 20-24 sandwich cookies
Print This Recipe 4.88/5
Healthy Vegan Oreos
4.88/524

Ingredients

• 3/4 cup spelt, white, or oat flour
  • 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp dutch cocoa powder - regular cocoa is fine; they just won’t taste as authentic
  • 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp unrefined or regular sugar, or xylitol for sugar-free
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup vegetable or coconut oil
  • 3 tbsp milk of choice
  • 2 tbsp pure maple syrup, honey, or agave

Instructions

*For the Oreo filling, beat together 1/2 cup powdered sugar or sugar free powdered sugar, 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract, and 1/4 cup melted coconut butter OR non-hydrogenated shortening (such as Spectrum) or Earth Balance spread, either with beaters or a food processor, or patiently by hand, until completely smooth.

For the Oreos, combine first 5 cookie ingredients, and stir very well. In a separate bowl, combine remaining ingredients for the cookies. Mix wet into dry to form a dough, then refrigerate 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 300 F. Put dough in a plastic bag, and smush into one big ball. Remove from bag, roll into a thin dough, and cut flat circles using a circle cutter or a circle-shaped lid. Bake on a greased cookie tray for 10 minutes; they’ll still look a little underdone when they come out of the oven, but that’s okay. It’s important to allow them to cool 10 minutes before removing from the tray, as they firm up during this time. Put about a teaspoon on half of the cookie discs, then top each with remaining cookie discs and refrigerate to set. Store in the fridge so the filling stays hard.

View Oreos Nutrition Facts

Get Free Recipes

Don’t Miss Out On The NEW Free Healthy Recipes

Chocolate Covered Katie The Healthy Dessert Blog Recipes

Popular Right Now

Reader Interactions

335 Comments

Leave a comment or reviewLeave a rating
  1. Olivia says

I’ve been waiting for this recipe to arrive and it finally did! Thank you so much Katie!

I actually do know an Oreo lover- me! The gf kind just doesn’t taste the same as a the Nabisco brand. Can’t wait to make these! 😀

2. Gigi says

I ate all of those Oreos…….I’m vegan and try not to eat processed foods, but I make a special exception for Oreos.

3. Justine says

I love Oreos!! Can’t remember the last time I had one, though. Going to have fun making these:) Thanks for all your hard work Katie!!

4. gemma says

“Store in the fridge so the filling stays hard.” – to which I might add – and the biscuits become soggy.

Seriously?

5. Healthy? says

Hi Katie. I’m just wondering why you called these “healthy.” Sure, it’s better to use your own ingredients than eat chemical-laden factory processed “food,” but by mix-and-matching the (surprisingly large amount of) possible substitutions, these cookies could be comprised of white flour, sugar, vegetable oil, and shortening. That list looks a lot like most unhealthy cookie recipes, so I find your title slightly misleading. Are you sure that all of those ingredient options work? Which did you use?

• Chocolate-Covered Katie says

I list substitutions because I know not everyone will have all the ingredients I use, or people have allergies. I try to list all possible substitutions that I know will work in a recipe so that it can be accessible to as many dietary restrictions as possible. Yes, you can make them less healthy by using ALL of the substitutions you listed in your comment; but they will STILL have less sugar and no artificial ingredients or corn syrup. So although they might no longer qualify as being “healthy” they will still be a better choice, if that makes sense.

And yes, I am sure that all the options work. I will never post a recipe option unless I know it will work. For the gf option, I have a friend who tries almost all of my recipes with Arrowhead Mills gf flour before I publish. If I haven’t tried a particular substitution, I’m sure to specifically say that in the post.

• Randi says

And I am so thankful you do add the substitutions being I do have a whack of allergies (dairy, eggs, tree nuts (including coconut, but coconut oil is fine for some reason), peanuts, night shade vegetables. And my daughter being allergic to dye cannot have any boxed food, for the most part. So this is great! I did make these tonight and for the cookie I ended up using white all purpose flour (next time I’m going to try ww flour), dutch cocoa powder, raw sugar, coconut oil and agave syrup. They are amazing! I think I’m going to use your cream cheese icing for them though (the cookies are better than oreos so I think I can mess with the icing too 🙂

Thank you for this blog, Katie. We are slowly getting through almost every recipe 🙂

PS: My 8 year old competitive gymnast daughter is addicted to your cookie dough recipe. She makes it herself and sits in front of TV before bed and gets her dose of protein lol.

6. Steph says

I omitted the cocoa powder (ran out!) to make white Oreo’s and had to double the baking time. Otherwise, these taste pretty close to the original! (Although I do prefer Oreo’s artificially-flavored frosting… it kind of “melts” you know?)

• Other Steph! says

I know this is a late comment but if you use powdered xylitol, it “metlts” even more than the normal artificial frosting! In fact if you just have xylitol or even truvia by itself there’s a very strong cooling effect.

7. Allie says

Woah, 70 million each day? That’s kinda mind-blowing! I mean, I love Oreos, but can’t say I buy more than one or two packs a year. And with a handy healthy recipe available? Probable even less than that now ;D

8. Julia Smith says

OMG these look amaing!!! You are seriously PERFECT!!! This is my favorite blog of ALL TIME I literally go on it like 30 times a day!!! You are also a huge inspiration to me, because you showed me that not everyone wants to be stick thin, and you can be happy with the way you are!!! I simply ADORE your milkshakes and I can’t WAIT for the next one!!! Keep us updated on when your cookbook is coming out, because that is at the top of my wish list!!! 😛
    -Julia <3

9. April says

Katie, I love you. I was just thinking the other day how much I missed oreos (cool ranch doritos, oreos, and cinnamon rolls are the four things crave the most that I have (had) not been able to find healthy recipes for) , but you just solved it for me! Consider these made ASAP! Thank you so much!

• April says

Oh, that would be so amazing…! I’ve searched all over for a corn-free version, but I’ve had no luck… I feel selfish asking you to create a recipe, but it would be so fantastic, haha! I’m going to see if I pull out the time to make these tomorrow… otherwise I might have to bother my mother to make them for me, ahaha. Thanks again!

10. [email protected] says

Oh wow, those look so yummy! I haven’t eaten oreos in years, but they were definitely my favorite cookie growing up! Also I just tried your “crunch bar” last night and it was my absolute favorite! I loved it-thanks Katie 🙂

11. Kellie says

LOVE your blog! Love all your ideas and recipes… I’m going to try these with Almond or Coconut flour (Paleo) … Do you think coconut flour would be better? Gonna have to try to make my own coconut butter one of these days too!

• Sarah says

How did these turn out? I was wondering the same. I just started experimenting with almond and coconut flour and I’m finding it doesn’t act the same as regular flour so I’m interested to see if the swap worked for anyone.

12. Rachel says

These look so delicious! I think I might try making a batch that is crispy and a batch that is not as crispy, just for comparison purposes. They could also be fun with different cookie cutters instead of a circle.

13. Mariana says

Question,

I have all of the ingredients except the special fats listed as options for the filling and the grains. Could I use crisco so I don’t have to go to the store tonight? I know it’s not a healthy option and it’s made with hydrogenated oils but chemically speaking will it work the same? Also, instead of the flours listed I have whole wheat flour, is that an ok substitute as well?

Thanks! I’m excited!

14. Sarah L says

Oh yay! In Finland we have these cookies called Domino that seem to be pretty close to Oreos (I’ve never eaten Oreos so I don’t know for sure). If I ever get a craving for those I’ll know what do do!

15. i love tofu says

Now I can finally make my own instead of buying the whole foods “oreos” (not that they tasted bad or anything. Like Katie said… homemade is always better)!!!
    i am soooo excited!

16. Sarah says

This looks so good! I love oreos and homemade ones are even better, especially when they’re healthified (my new word). Can’t wait to try them 🙂

17. Jenny says

I made these & they tasted great but the texture of your frosting looks way creamier than mine turned out (mine was pretty dry & crumbly). I used coconut butter & my cuisinart to mix. Thoughts?

18. Ed says

I am a huge Oreo lover! Not the plain cookie so much but more like Oreo ice cream or something like that…these would be. Perfect in ice crew,…healthy though? Not sure i buy that 😉

19. Kirsten says

Hey! so I love your blog, and I was just wondering for your recipes do you melt your coconut oil first or do you leave it in solid form?
    I made your crunch bars tonite and while they taste good, it didn’t really look like your picture or a chocolate bar! I left the coconut oil solid though and had to add quite a bit of water so I was wondering if you actually melted it in that recipe and others?
    Thanks!!
    Kirsten

20. Liz says

I subbed peanut butter for coconut butter for the frosting. It’s a little crumbly, but delicious. Great recipe, Katie!

21. Pipsa says

Oh I wonder how these would be covered in chocolate… I think filled cookies are often quite bland and hard and boring, but dipping in dark chocolate would probably correct this. Or crumbleing these on one of your healthy ice creams… yum!

22. Aly says

So ironic you posted this. I am actually a Sales Rep for Nabisco!! I personally am not an Oreo fan but I’m definitely going to give this recipe a whirl!

23. Justin says

Not me I haven’t eaten oreos in years but this sounds like it’s right up my alley! Would raw cacao powder work for the chocolate? What is dutch cocoa powder?