Get two new free healthy recipes each week. Sign Up

Mexican Chocolate No Bake Cookies

Easy #nobake chocolate cookies - VERY addictive - We couldn't stop eating them! https://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2013/12/19/mexican-chocolate-bake-cookies/ @choccoveredkt

If you’re looking for a tried-and-true holiday cookie recipe that gets rave reviews and  yields a batch large enough to take to a party…

Do not make these.

The raw cookie batter is so addictive that, if you’re anything like me, you’ll find it completely impossible to stop eating the cookie dough by the spoonful. So by the time you actually get around to forming cookies, very little batter will be left. The yield of this recipe is for 16-18 cookies… but I think my first batch made closer to 5.

And I’d like to say I had a bunch of friends to blame for all the missing dough.

No Bake Chocolate Cookies

But no.

It was just me.

Embarrassed smile Embarrassed smile

pin-it

Mexican Chocolate No Bake Cookies

• 2 tbsp cocoa or cacao powder (10g)
  • 2/3 cup quick oats (60g)
  • 1/2 cup oat flour (60g) – or just pulse rolled oats in a food processor until they become powder, and measure after processing
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda – yes, really
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • scant 1/4 tsp cayenne, or more for spicier cookies
  • 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp sugar of choice or xylitol (50g)
  • 1/4 cup vegetable or coconut oil (40g)
  • 2 tbsp water (30g)
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips, optional

In a large bowl, combine all dry ingredients. In a small cup, combine all wet ingredients. Pour wet into dry, and stir together. Scoop out with a cookie scoop, or refrigerate a few minutes until firm enough to scoop out (if using coconut oil, don’t refrigerate too long or the dough will become hard). Place cookie dough balls on wax paper and chill until firm. If you want to bake these cookies, do so at 325 F for 10 minutes. Then let cool 5 minutes before eating. Makes about 16-18 cookies.

View Nutrition Facts

IMG_0056IMG_0059IMG_0060IMG_0061

Link Of The Day:

pumpkin chocolate chip cookies healthy

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies

Get Free Recipes

Don’t Miss Out On The NEW Free Healthy Recipes

Chocolate Covered Katie The Healthy Dessert Blog Recipes

Popular Right Now

Reader Interactions

88 Comments

Leave a comment or reviewLeave a rating
  1. Stephani says

I made these-YUM! I do not recommend using quick cooking steel cut oats. Itmakes your cookies “hard”-ier! Next time, i’m gonna use quaker oatsquick cooking oats instead 🙂

2. Karen w says

I made these last night and they are soooooooo good! My mom wanted me to bake them, so I did, but not with out eating a ton of cookie dough first! I can’t decide whether I like them better baked or not baked, their really good either way! My mom much prefers them baked though and I just wanted to give tip to anyone else who bakes them. When it says to wait five minutes before eating, this DOES NOT mean transfer to a cooling rack immediately and then wait five minutes, I tried to do that with the first few cookies and they crumbled, so I then figured out that you need to not touch the cookies at all for the first five minutes that they are out of the oven, and then you can transfer them to a cooling rack and they won’t crumble.

3. Leeanne Sciolto says

Made these last night and they were delicious and a big hit! Super easy too. I was worried about them setting up ok but they did just fine. Thanks for the fun easy and delicious recipie!

4. Celina says

These cookies are perfect!! They’re my favorite no-bake cookie recipe. I’ve made them at least 4 times since finding this recipe, and my family and I absolutely love them! Today, I made a double batch of them and added sprinkles…they were delicious…and they are gone already.

5. Emily says

These are yummy! I just made them for the second time 🙂 I used a little less cayenne pepper in the second batch because the first came out pretty spicy (but my cayenne was brand new so maybe that’s why?) Otherwise, delish and a keeper! Thanks Katie:)

6. Barbara Palmer (I am on Facebook) says

What is your serving size for your nutritional values? And is there a possibility of getting sodium content for your recipes. My husband is diabetic but has just been diagnosed with severe heart failure and we have to keep his sodium intake below 1500mg/day. It has been a difficult transition to also monitor sodium with his carbs but every once in a while he needs a “sweet”! 🙂 Thanks!

7. KMar says

I don’t know what went wrong, but they were watery and never set up, even after chilling them for a long time. They still tasted delicious but weren’t the right consistency for some reason. I followed the directions exactly! Hmm…. Hoping to make these again soon though because I loved the flavors! Maybe too much oil and not enough oats?

8. Melissa says

I am officially addicted to these! I like them better baked, with a little extra cayenne in them. One complaint: I am unable to eat leass than 1/2 a batch in one sitting!

9. Sheri says

Just found your blog and tried mu first recipe! my 6yr old just gave thumbs up to oatmeal cupcakes to go. have a question about coconut oil (sorry I’d it is a repeat, I did read coconut oil/butter page). I prefer to use coconut oil where possible in your recipes, happy that it is mentioned as a sub. My coconut oil is solid, so if your recipe calls for 1/4 cup, so I measure it as solid? Or do I melt it and then measure. Veg oil being liquid and coc being sold- just not sure which way to go…..thanks in advance. Looking forward to trying more of your stuff.

10. Ashley says

Katie this recipe caught my eye the moment I saw the word, “Mexican.” First, I love how worldly this blog is becoming. I enjoy reading each of your recipes weekly. I am fascinated by the no-bake concept in these cookies though. My mom and I recently tried using dates as base for some of the no-bake cookies and it was sublime! I can’t wait to try these chocolate cookies soon.

11. Kristen says

We LOVE these cookies!!! My daughters ages 2 and 5 call them “cold cookies” because (like you) they never make it to the baking step. Thanks so much for sharing your talent of creating delicious more healthful recipes with us! 🙂

12. Leidy Hernandez says

I was skeptical about making them, but now that I have they tasted them, ME WANT MORE COOOOOOKIES!!!! you NEED to try these and they’re suuuuuupper easy!!!! I give them 10 cats with rabies out of 5. Thumbs up, Katie.

13. Misty says

Delicious! I wanted to have something yummy for my kids when they got home from school. It took a lot of self control not to eat the whole batch before they arrived.

14. Sadye says

I’ve been swapping out bananas for sugar in recipes, so if anyone is interested in doing the same, let me say that 1/4 cup mashed banana works just fine here! I like bananas in baked goods but not as a whole fruit; I didn’t get a whole lot of banana taste in these cookies but that might also be because I don’t mind them in baked goods — a hardcore banana hater might catch it.

15. emily adkisson says

Hey I love your blog! It’s great! I was wondering if anyone has baked these cookies,
    I want to bake them but not sure if they are better not baked. I want to make them for my mom when she comes home from a long business trip so I want to make something perfect! Thanks

16. Louisa says

Tasty! Made them tonight– but, also made changes.

2 tbsps cocoa was just not dark enough for me, so I increased it to 3 tbsp. I used natural Tumaco cocoa powder.
    Added a tiny pinch of nutmeg (minimal change)
    1/4 sugar seemed a lot to me, so I slowly added it into the dough, tasting as I went. I ended up needing only a couple tbsp, maybe 2-3, even with the extra cocoa. I don’t have an enormous sweet tooth (most American sweets are too sweet for me), but I do like desserts to taste just sweet enough.
    I decreased the rolled oats from 2/3 cup to 1/2 cup, as I wanted a slightly more smooth-textured cookie.
    For some reason, the dough did not hold together well, so I threw in extra flour, cocoa, and water until it became sticky enough. The cocoa was to bring back the intense-chocolatey-ness while also soaking up a bit of extra moisture.

Yes, this was fun, and yes, the cookies were yummy. They tasted sort of like chocolate truffles and smoother oatmeal cookie combined. When the coconut oil becomes solid, it’s really like biting into smooth, soft chocolate that happens to turn oatmeal-cookie-like once it hits your tongue. Yum. The dark, chocolate-flavor develops when the cookies chill, so even if the dough tasted somewhat like hot cocoa powder (because I used white sugar), it’ll taste much more rounded out, smoother, and harmonious when ready for consumption. The crunchy chocolate chips provide nice textural interest (I think that chips are softer once baked). Don’t miss out on the pepper– it gives a great kick.

Thanks for sharing this awesome recipe, Katie! It was super fun to mix together, and to constantly taste. 🙂

• LT says

wow, thanks so much for such a detailed comment! I made these the other day without altering the recipe, but I’m definitely going to give your adjustments a try as you seem to have a similar palette 🙂

17. Kristen says

Just made these. They came out a bit dry, so I will make them again to see what I did wrong. Other than that, thry are very yummy! The cayenne sneaks up on you and the cinnamon is delish. I haven’t found a recipe of yours I don’t like yet!!

18. Alex says

Katie how do I make these with dark chocolate cocoa powder? I tried this reciepe today and used the dark chocolate cocoa powder and they turned out bitter.

19. ChrisR says

Hey Katie

I love all your recipes but this is definitely my go-to when I get a biscuit/cookie munchie! I love chilli but often leave out the cayenne with these but they are fab either way

20. Tifani says

These are fantastic! I only added a pinch of cayenne since I was giving some to my kids. I didn’t bake them, just chilled them in the fridge. They were so so good. I wish I had made more than a double batch!

21. Kathryn says

These are WAY TOO ADDICTIVE! I can not make these without eating half the recipe before even forming cookies. Therefore I make a double batch almost every time. I also like to press them into a paper lined 8×8 pan and refrigerate or freeze (I always use coconut oil). That way we can have shards of frozen chocolate deliciousness 🙂

22. Jenay Green says

These look so good! I am always looking for healthy dessert recipes for my family of 6. I am glad I found your blog! I am a blogger as well and would love to link people to your blog!