Get two new free healthy recipes each week. Sign Up

Sugar Free Chocolate Chips

Easy homemade sugar free chocolate chips that can be keto and vegan, with NO artificial sweeteners!

Vegan Chocolate Chips

How To Make Sugar Free Chocolate Chips

You can use these chocolate chips for baking, or simply eat them by the handful.

The entire recipe takes just five minutes to make, and they’re perfect for anyone trying to avoid dairy or artificial ingredients, or just if you want to avoid sugar in general.

Try them in this easy chocolate Keto Mug Cake Recipe or in these Keto Brownies!

Sugar Free Chocolate Chips

There are two versions of the recipe – raw chocolate chips and a version that’s good for baking.

And while brands such as Lily’s sugar free chocolate chips do exist on the market, making your own at home not only saves money, it also enables you to control what ingredients to use.

Lily’s chips contain soy, and many other brands contain dairy and artificial ingredients, so if you want to avoid those ingredients as well as sugar, making your own sugar free chocolate chips recipe is the way to go. I’ve also included an option below for making the chips with maple syrup or agave if you want refined sugar free and vegan chocolate chips.

Before publishing this recipe, I had the very difficult task of testing out every single version, to make sure each variation worked. Imagine being forced to eat all that chocolate.

Seriously, I love my full time job.

Next time someone asks me what I do for a living, I’m going to tell them I eat chocolate chips.

Homemade Chocolate Chips Recipe Keto

Homemade Chocolate Chips

Vegan
Raw
Paleo
Keto
Low Carb
No Bake
Gluten Free

Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies

You can totally use these dairy free chocolate chips to make chocolate chip cookies, as shown in the recipe I’ve linked above.

Or throw some into your brownie batter, stir a handful into ice cream, sprinkle on top of a frosted chocolate cake, or stuff them into cupcakes.

Chocolate chips are like the little black dress of the food world, and I can’t think of very many desserts where a few of these babies wouldn’t be a welcome addition.

Just be sure not to eat them all right out of the container, so you’ll still have some left to use in recipes!

Keto Sugar Free Chocolate Chips

Also try these Chocolate Truffles

Pin it now to save for laterPin Recipe

Sugar Free Chocolate Chips

These easy homemade sugar free chocolate chips can be keto and vegan!
4.89/5 (9)
Total Time 5 minutes
Yield 1 recipe - yield depends on shape

Ingredients

• 4 tbsp virgin coconut oil
  • 1/3 cup cocoa or cacao powder
  • vanilla stevia to taste OR 1/4 cup raw agave, honey, or pure maple syrup

Instructions

• *Any parchment-lined container works here. To get the classic chocolate chip shape, I used a Chocolate Chip Candy Mold.
    Gently melt the oil if not already liquid. Stir in the sweetener. Stir in the cocoa. If using the stevia, add a little extra melted coconut oil if the mixture is too thick. Pour into a parchment-lined tupperware container or candy molds. Freeze util firm. Break into small chip-sized pieces, or pop out of the candy molds. Store in the freezer.
    Sugar Free Chocolate Chips For Baking:
    While the above raw version is fantastic for using in no-bake treats or eating by the handful, if you want a version that you can bake with or that has the option of being oil-free, simply melt a bar of unsweetened chocolate and sweeten to taste with your favorite sweetener of choice. You can add a tsp oil for smoother results, but it's not required. Pour into a parchment-lined container or candy molds, and freeze until firm. Then break into small pieces or pop out of the molds. This version needs no refrigeration and can be used anywhere you'd use store-bought chocolate chips.
    View Nutrition Facts

Have you made this recipe?

Tag @chocolatecoveredkatie on Instagram

This Week’s Popular Recipes:

Low Carb Ice Cream

Keto Ice Cream Recipe

fb pancakes

Flourless Pancakes – Just 3 Ingredients

fb black bean brownies

Black Bean Brownies

*This post contains Amazon affiliate links. All proceeds from affiliate links on my site will always go to charity.

4.89/5 (9)

Published on July 9, 2018

Meet Katie

featured on The
Today Show, CNN,
Fox, The
Huffington Post, and

Learn more about Katie

Get Free Recipes

Don’t Miss Out On The NEW Free Healthy Recipes

Chocolate Covered Katie The Healthy Dessert Blog Recipes

Popular Right Now

Reader Interactions

66 Comments

Leave a comment or reviewLeave a rating
  1. em says

Do you use any kind of syringe or spoon to pour the chocolate into the candy molds? Do you just pour it from the mixing bowl/container? Or what method do you use? When using candy molds in the past I’ve found it tedious to pour the liquid into each individual mold but maybe this mold will be easier.

2. Rita says

For using the chip molds, the easiest way to fill them is by setting the mold on a larger piece of wax or parchment paper on the counter, pouring the chocolate in a puddle in the middle of the mold, and then using a bench scraper or other wide straight-edged tool, swipe the chocolate across the mold. If all the holes aren’t filled, spoon a little more on and continue smooshing it in to the remaining holes. Any chocolate that falls off the edge onto the paper can be scraped up and re-used. Use the scraper to remove any remaining chocolate from the face of the mold, then move mold to freezer or fridge.

• Jason Sanford says

Coconut oil is solid when hard, so the only other thing I can think of that might work is possibly palm oil?
      Jason

3. Brittany says

Hi Katie! I just received one of your cookbooks for Christmas and I’m so excited to try out some recipes. I was wondering if you have experimented with allulose as a sweetener in recipes like this one? I keep hearing good things about it, but I don’t want to spend the money if it won’t work in your recipes.

• Jason Sanford says

We have never tried so honestly have no idea, but be sure to report back if you experiment!
      Jason (media relations)

4. Angela says

Can I sub melted cocoa butter for the coconut oil like in your peanut butter baking chip recipe? : fingers crossed and eyes closed: I hope you say yes because I am desperately trying to find a homemade chocolate chip recipe using cocoa butter so I can keep them at room temperature (in my homemade trail mix) or even bake with them!?

• Jason Sanford says

I don’t see why you couldn’t but haven’t tried it. Be sure to report back for us if you try. Or use the room temp recipe she offers in her post: Sugar Free Chocolate Chips For Baking:
      While the above raw version is fantastic for using in no-bake treats or eating by the handful, if you want a version that you can bake with or that has the option of being oil-free, simply melt a bar of unsweetened chocolate and sweeten to taste with your favorite sweetener of choice. You can add a tsp oil for smoother results, but it’s not required. Pour into a parchment-lined container or candy molds, and freeze until firm. Then break into small pieces or pop out of the molds. This version needs no refrigeration and can be used anywhere you’d use store-bought chocolate chips.

5. Sarah Jagenberg says

I used Costco kirkland brand peanut butter and these cookies were so oily and the lily’s chocolate chips I used burned. I’ve been baking at least twice a week for 37 years and have never had a cookie recipe turn out so awful. Just want to warn others before they waste money on these specific ingredients. Completely inedible. Sorry

• Jason Sanford says

I don’t even know what recipe you are talking about, as this is a recipe for chocolate chips…

6. Jillian says

I am allergic to coconut. Is there another oil I can use that will work to be able to eat these raw? So excited to try this recipe soon!

• Jason Sanford says

The only thing I can think of is maybe cocoa butter, melted? If you try it, be sure to report back!
      Jason

7. Theron says

I was running late this morning so this recipe arrived just in time for a late breakfast. Very tasty and couldn’t be easier.