Soft, light, and oh-so fluffy vegan vanilla cupcakes…
Easy To Make
Just 8 Ingredients
This classic vanilla cupcake recipe is so simple, you probably already have all of the ingredients in your pantry to make them.
You might also like: Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies – NO crazy ingredients
Easy Vegan Cupcake Recipe
If you don’t already have a go-to vegan cupcake recipe, well now you do!
Everyone should have a basic cupcake recipe in their repertoire, because cupcakes are perfect for so many occasions.
They’re quick to whip up any time you’re asked to provide a dessert last-minute for work or school, and you can keep all of the ingredients on hand to ensure you’re always prepared.
Cupcake Frosting Ideas
I frosted these with the homemade vegan cream cheese frosting from my Pumpkin Cupcakes recipe.
The best thing about vanilla cupcakes is that they’re a blank canvas, meaning you can change up the frosting to turn them into any flavor you wish. Chocolate frosting, buttercream, coconut frosting, peanut butter, raspberry jelly, whipped cream, chocolate ganache… the choice is completely yours. If you don’t want to bother with frosting, they’re also good plain!
If you do opt for the frosted route, my favorite icing tip is this 1M star tip by Wilton.
It’s my simple trick to effortlessly transform any basic cupcake recipe into something that looks so professional, people always think they must have come from a bakery. And yet, the entire process of frosting the cupcakes takes less than five minutes.
I also had a lot of fun with these photos. They kind of remind me of The Starry Night, by Vincent van Gogh, just with cupcakes instead of houses.
If only all houses were cupcakes.
Also be sure to try these Vegan Donuts – 5 new flavors
The vegan vanilla cupcakes can be:
Refined Sugar Free
Oddly enough, the recipe was adapted from my Healthy Blueberry Muffins.
And if you’ve read the above statement and are now wondering, Does this mean you can add blueberries to batter of today’s cupcake recipe too? happily the answer is YES, you can.
Feel free to stir half a cup of fresh or thawed frozen berries into the batter—very carefully at the end, so they don’t break—and then proceed with the recipe as usual.
The blueberry version is especially good topped with homemade coconut butter.
The cupcakes turn out light and fluffy without any eggs. I used a gluten-free all-purpose mix for the vegan cupcakes in the pictures because I was taking them to an event where I knew some of the attendees were gluten-free.
I’ve also tested the recipe successfully with white, spelt, and oat flours, so those are all options here as well.
Vegan Vanilla Cupcakes
- 1/4 cup milk of choice
- 1 1/2 tsp white or cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup or agave
- 3 1/2 tbsp oil, or applesauce for fat-free
- 1 cup white, spelt, or bob’s gf flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- optional pinch cardamom or cinnamon
- Whisk first 5 ingredients. Let sit for at least 10 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a cupcake tin. In a large bowl, stir all remaining ingredients, then add wet and stir just enough to form a batter. Portion into the liners about 2/3 up, because they will rise. Bake 10-12 minutes or until risen and a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean. (While I’m not personally a fan of the applesauce version, numerous readers have written in to say they tried and like it, so I’ve included the option here.)View Nutrition Facts
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @chocolatecoveredkatie on Instagram
More Healthy Party Desserts
Vegan Cheesecake – NO Cashews
(Reader Favorite Recipe)