Sign up for NEW free healthy recipes - Currently over 300,000 subscribers!

Running in the Rain

The smashing sequel to Singing in the Rain.

Murphy’s Law:
If you are out running, and a rainstorm hits, it will hit when you are far away from home.

Sad to say, Murphy doesn’t like me much. I checked the weather forecast very carefully, and it clearly stated “scattered showers beginning at 10AM.”

running in the rain

Beginning at 10AM, my foot! It was perfectly clear when I left at 7, with only a 10% chance of precipitation listed for 8. But at around 7:45, all hell floods broke loose.

Mimi's and Sanctuary 002

When I finally arrived back home, my mom was there to greet me.

But what did she have in her hands?

A. a soft, dry towel?
B. a warm cup of tea?
Nope, it was a camera, to capture my ridiculous, soaking-wet style. Thanks a lot, mom!

Her words: “I figured you’d want to post a photo for all your blog friends to see.”
How well she knows me! (And, as it turns out, she did have a towel for me too. What a nice mommy.)

Question of the Day:
Have you ever gotten caught in a rainstorm? Or, have you ever been a victim of Murphy’s Law?

For some reason, it seems to rain a lot when I go to the grocery store and have many bags to carry out to the car! As for running in the rain, I kinda had fun yesterday. It cooled me off. At first, the rain was getting in my eyes, which was uncomfortable. But I figured out how to turn my head so it wasn’t a problem anymore. I felt pretty hardcore… until my dad told me he used to play soccer in thunderstorms all the time.

And if you think I look silly when soaking wet, you should see these guys! 🙂

1. WOW that looks wet!!
    I once did 10miles in the torrential rain, with long jogging trousers that dragged on the floor…quite possibly the worst experience of my life!

2. Thunderstorms are a great way to improve your sprints hehehe!

I was almost caught in a tornado this week, out running. Ok, maybe not a tornado… but strong wind.

Your mom and I need to be best friends. Now 🙂

3. Katie says:

I LOVE running in the rain!! I posted some pictures VERY similar to these last week after I got stuck in a monster rain storm. I think it’s so fun, and I feel hardcore out there running as the raindrops pelt me in the face. Haha…enjoy your rain!

4. This looks like SO much fun!!!!!!!!! If I didnt hate running I’d join you!!! 😛

5. Marina says:

I never went running in the rain, but it does sound appealing a bit 🙂 if it’s warm enough 🙂

6. Jessica says:

Haha I love this post! Is it mean of me to be laughing at your miserable situation? 😉
    Well, it looks like you enjoyed it though :).

7. sarah b says:

My most favorite time to run is in the rain!! There is something so relaxing about the raindrops running down your face–almost masking the sweat running down your face! hehe. YOU GO GIRL! 🙂

8. elk says:

I’ve been reading for a while, and I have to say I’m really enjoying reading more now that you’re putting more of you on your blog (not that I didn’t before…but you know what I mean ;)).
    Those pictures are great. Nothing like a bit o’ rain!
    Hmm, Murphy’s law…though I think we call it Sod’s Law over here. Generally if it’ll go wrong, it will for me. Though speaking of rain, I have pretty long hair and it used to be that whenever I washed it it would rain (sort of like raining on the day you wash your car), and I also went through a phase when I was about 18, working in a cafe, when it would be guaranteed that I’d drop a plate or glass and break it between 4pm – 4.15pm…very odd. That went on for a few weeks….
    Have a fantastic holiday!

1. Elk,
      Thanks for the support! It’s a little nerve-wracking for someone who can be shy to open up so much (especially when I know that my family and even a few ex-boyfriends know about the blog!). So I really appreciate your kind words :).

9. Run Sarah says:

Too cute! That has happened to may way too many times to count – I live in the rainiest city ever (Vancouver, BC!)

10. Becca says:

LOL! Bless you, Katie – how typical that it would rain! Last time I ran in a rainstorm, I got a terrible cold 🙁 I think I must be one of those sickly people.

I was so excited when I moved into a flat (appartment) on the top floor of this very swish block in the centre of Birmingham. Unfortunately, whenever I’d done a big food shop, the lift (elevator) would break, so I’d have to carry all those bags up six flights of stairs. Fun!

1. Becca,
      The same thing used to happen to my sister!! The darn elevator broke the day she had to move out!

11. My Murphy’s law of running is more around my dog than the weather. If my dog is going to act up or take a poop, it will be while I’m in front of the only person coming out of the house in the entire area. It’s also never someone rushing off to work, it’s the woman who’s just meandering around her car, watching my dog poop in her yard.

If I trip, it will occur when someone is watching. Same goes for almost anything embarrassing that might occur while running with my dog. One time it was a bee flying at my face, which caused me to spaz out completely, flailing around. Of course that’s when a guy was standing in his garage, watching me act like a crazy person.

1. C,
      LOL my dog always waits until *right after* we get off our own lawn… which means I have to pick it up! 😕

12. Eric Jaffa says:

Were you running in the rain on Long Island?

13. Juliane says:

I was inspired by your ice cream creations and created my own: vegan banana chocolate
    I really like your recipes!

1. Juliane,
      Aww thank you so much! Vegan banana chocolate ice cream sounds amazing :).

14. Amy says:

Do you have any suggestions of other high-quality food processors that are not as costly as the amazing Vitamix?

1. Amy,
      My mom likes her Cuisinart. I really like my Magic Bullet. I don’t know that you could call it “high-quality” but it’s definitely low-maintenance!

15. Oh…the lovely rain. :o) I went on a motorcyle trip with my husband and some other friends a couple of years ago, and we got caught in a down pour on the interstate….all I could do was laugh at the time. The rain was so cold and stung like crazy on our faces. But looking back, it was so much fun!

16. Molly says:

I have been caught in the rain many times while running in attempt to “beat the clouds” 😛
    Just this past week I was on a 6.5 mile loop and had to turn around when I saw cloud-to-ground lightning right in front of me! The rain finally let up so I got the full mileage in but I was totally soaked and my makeup probably looked like the Joker from Batman. Just another reason to do morning runs with a fresh face!

1. Molly,
      Ugh, I hate hate hate getting mascara in my eyes. It stings for days afterwards!

17. Michal says:

Ive been caught out running in the rain too.. only I was wearing a white tank since there was no sight on rain on the morning news. Lets just say I ran really really fast to get home! 🙂

1. Michal,
      LOLOL! That reminds me of a poor lady we saw yesterday. Sadly for her, we all could tell that she had on flowered undies 😕

18. mapledreams says:

I actually love the rain and going out for a walk in the rain..only if it isn’t windy though! xx

19. Haha, that’s adorable! I’ve been caught in the rain while walking my pup. Nobody knew that I was gone, so nobody came to save me. 🙁 Haha. I’m not familliar with Murphy’s Law —-> Google. <3

1. A Teenage Gourmet,
      Eek, you’re lucky to not have met his acquaintance! Murphy’s Law is no fun at all.

20. Oh . . . whoops . . . I see that you already explained it. Silly me.