Sign up for NEW free healthy recipes - Currently over 300,000 subscribers!

Healthy Cake that’s so easy to make

When do you take down your holiday decorations?

We usually start on New Year’s Day. Heck, there’s nothing else to do on that day—no need to buy presents, no Christmas cookies to bake, and (unless you live in Hawaii), no one wants to venture out of the house! So it’s the perfect time to clean. Unfortunately for my family, I wasn’t the biggest help this year, because I was preoccupied… with cake!

vegan healthy vanilla cake

A friend, who saw my Spooky Vegan Carrot Cake, hired me to make her a New-Year-themed cake. Cake-decorating beats cleaning any day. 🙂

vegan vanilla cake

As always, it’s 100% edible (aside from the crown).

For the actual cake, I veganized a recipe from one of my mom’s cookbooks. (And then I subbed applesauce for some of the oil to make it even healthier.) The results looked gorgeous—perfectly shaped and soft. And my friend raved about the taste, saying none of her guests could tell it was healthy.

Healthier Vegan Vanilla Cake
(makes two 9” cakes)

• 3 ¾ cups flour (I used whole-wheat pastry)
  • 2 t baking soda and 2 t baking powder
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 1 3/4 to 2 cups dry sweetener
  • ½ cup oil
  • ¼ cup applesauce
  • ½ cup tofu
  • ½ t salt
  • Optional: 1 t coconut or almond extract

Preheat the oven to 355. Mix together all of the wet ingredients.
Blend the tofu with 1 ½ cups water, then add that to the wet.
Combine all of the dry ingredients, then add that to the wet.
Pour into two cake pans and bake for 40ish minutes.

It’s so amazingly simple!

vegan frosting

I frosted with my go-to Healthy “Cream Cheese” Icing.
(The cake was much prettier in real life than in my photos, thanks to an absence of natural light at the time I took them. Oh well; what’s most important is the taste!)

amy's sonoma burgers

New product News:
From Amy’s Organics and others: New Product Alerts :).

Question of the Day:
Do you have a favorite veggie burger?

I’d love to know your favorites, as there are so many brands out there now. I like Amy’s Bistro Burgers, but I’m working on creating a homemade veggie burger, as the bistros are expensive (and lacking in the protein dept, which I know is important to a lot of you). So far, all of the recipes I’ve been looking at are just way too involved/time-consuming. Also, am I the only one in the world who doesn’t like Sunshine Burgers?!

Tags: ,

1. I LOVE me some Sunshine Burgers!

And I must make that cake!

2. VeggieGirl says:

Wait, what? Holiday decorations are supposed to come down? 😉

1. Ah, to live in a world where it’s always Christmas… 🙂

3. OH WOW that cake looks AWESOME! And such a simple and healthy ingredients list! I am SO bookmarking this! Your friend is a very lucky girl! 😀

4. Albizia says:

The cake is so beautiful! But isn’t there any sugar or another kind of sweetener in it?

1. Um lol where is my head?! Girl, thank you so much for catching my mistake!!! I’m glad you let me know so I had a change to fix it before anyone made it and lambasted me for posting a cake recipe that tasted like a wet sponge! 😕

5. Awwww, this cake is beautiful!!! I love that you can take any recipe and “health” it up!!

Keep up the great work! I could sink my teeth into piece of this right about now I think 😉

6. Katie, that cake recipe looks awesome! I’d love to try it out, since my New Year’s resolution is to eat MORE sweets. Hahaha! What kind of tofu do you use? Silken vs regular, soft vs firm?

1. Hey Cat!
      Ok, so I think you have the coolest NY resolution in the history of the world. Can I copy it and say my resolution is to eat more chocolate? 😉
      For the tofu, use soft tofu, like this:

1. Yes, Katie, you definitely can! Thanks for the clarification. I can’t wait to try out the recipe!

7. Thanks for the cake recipe! It looks awesome!!!!

8. Camille says:

Oh man, how cute is that!?
    You are making me crave cake 🙂

9. Eric Jaffa says:

I like the Amy’s Organic California Burgers.

1. Melissa says:

These are my absolute favorites.
      The reduced sodium are what I buy, they still taste lovely and don’t need the extra salt. Plus, I’m a ketchup and pickles on burgers gal and I add enough extra salt that way. LOL.

10. Miss Rachel says:

I took one bite of a Sunshine Burger a number of years ago – and yuck!!! – I had to throw them out. They were so gross! I don’t know if they’ve changed their recipe since then, but I’ve been afraid to try them again. My hubby buys the Sunshine *Breakfast* Burgers and those look a little more like (yummy) vegan sausage, but I still haven’t tried them. I used to like Morningstar Farms vegan burgers, but I haven’t been able to find them in years. Bocas are OK, but I’m a big fan of Moophrey burgers these days. Moophreys are my favorites, but when I want to be soy-free I like Amy’s Bistro burgers too.

1. Oh I love the Moophreys! I just wish they didn’t get all hard on the outsides. And I’m glad I’m not the only one who doesn’t understand the appeal of the Sunshine burgers. I *wanted* to like them, but they tasted like grass!

11. That is the cutest cake I have ever seen!!!!!

1. Aw thanks so much, Nichole :).

12. I like the Gardenburger Vegetable Medley and Black Bean Chipotle burgers. Amy’s Bistro and Texas burgers are really good, too. And I’ve made my own, it’s not that hard.

13. Liz says:

The cake looks so cute! My favorite veggie burgers would have to be the original vegan bocca burgers. I buy them in big packs at sam’s club and it saves me loads of money.

1. Man, I wish the bistros came in big packs! They’re like $6 each. But then again, one burger at a restaurant can be way more than that, so I guess it’s all relative.

14. OMG, that Sonoma burger sounds crazygood! And I love your cake decorating skills!

15. Disturbed says:

I have actually never had a vegan burger. When I was vegetarian I had one made with milk in it-and I loved it, so I do want to eventually try one-but there is literally nothing at the Wal-Mart my school takes us to every week to buy groceries. That is the one things I hate about being a high school student with no car and at a boarding school. O well, when we go to Kroger I load up on Amy’s stuff. I love Amy everything. I also have a thing for those Kashi meals-the black bean mango one is vegan and taste amazing. I bet y could easily make a home version.

1. I’ve been meaning to try those kashi meals for a long time!

16. Jennifer JCD says:

Wow, beautiful cake! I hope you had a wonderful New Year too.

We celebrate Christmas season until the Epiphany on 06 January (12 days of Christmas), so our decorations stay up until then too. We’ll start taking things down this weekend. The outdoor lights will stay up until our long weekend in February (just after Valentine’s Day), or the soonest warm day after that.

As for veggie burgers, I’ve never heard of most of the ones people are listing, but here in Canada, M&M Meats (yes, a meat shop) makes our favouite veggie burger. Most of our non-veg relatives and friends will eat them too because they are so yummy and fairly healthy too. We also love homemade black bean burgers because we can customise the seasonings to whatever our tastebuds are craving that day. We don’t have an outdoor barbeque though, so all our burgers are cooked on an indoor grill or the top ‘veggie’ rack on my dad’s barbeque at the cabin.

1. Haha your favorite veggie burger is from a meat shop?!
      When I lived in China, I was once super-surprised to find Amy’s Cali burgers (a vegan burger) in my omni friend’s kitchen. When I asked her why she had veggie burgers in her freezer, she replied, “We don’t.” She didn’t even realize her favorite burgers were vegetarian! I had to show her the ingredient list before she believed me!

17. i love that the burgers are soy free! i’ve been looking for a new veggie burger sans soy product! ill have to keep my eyes open

18. I think you ARE the only girl in the world who doesn’t like Sunshine burgers! Those are my fave! But Amy’s are a close second. Haven’t seen the Sonoma ones yet….how are they different from the California ones? Isn’t Sonoma County in California? I love homemade patties too, but storebought are my fave …. unless you’re talkin’ the homemade patty at Memphis’ Fuel Cafe. That’s the best veggie burger in the world…ever.

1. Haha I agree about storebought being best sometimes. People sometimes ask me if I can re-create certain products and I think, “But why would you want to? It’s called ‘convenience’ for a reason!” 🙂

19. Jenn says:

Hi Katie! Just a thought for the New Year – I was wondering if you would ever consider starting a Youtube channel as an extension of the blog where you video-taped yourself making the food or talking about your lifestyle? I’m just thinking that since your blog is SO easy to read and so positive that I bet a channel would be a huge hit. I could see it reaching people of all eating backgrounds and lifestyles and introducing a new perspective into their days! And then people who were more inclined to watch videos than search for blogs would find you that way. Just a thought!!! No pressure whatsoever of course. 🙂 Take care!

1. Oh gosh, Jenn, I have been meaning to do a video post for SOOOO long! But I just keep putting it off. One of the main reasons? I don’t know how, and I’m good at procrastinating when it comes to learning a new skill. I don’t have a digital video camera either, although I think my regular camera might have video capabilities. I really should get my butt in gear and do it!