Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Deep-Dish Cookie Pie

What is even better than a warm chocolate chip cookie?

The secretly healthy recipe – with over 1,600 positive reader reviews. Everyone loves this pie! If you’ve never tried the recipe, it is highly recommended. Full recipe:

If you answered, “Katie, nothing is better than a warm chocolate chip cookie,” you’ve obviously never met a chocolate chip cookie pie… especially not when it is topped with my favorite egg-free healthy ice cream recipe.

I could sit here and tell you about how I was in charge of dessert for our neighborhood Memorial Day party. I could tell you about my desire to wow the neighbors with a sinful-tasting finale and then surprise shock them by revealing said sinful dessert was really not so sinful after all. I could tell you how this desire became reality when my dessert was the hit of the party, with everyone raving about it and one neighbor even hiring me to make a pie for her husband’s birthday in June.

But really, you don’t want to know all of this, do you? You just want the recipe.

deep dish cookie pie

Side note: If you make 1/4 of the recipe, you can put it in a mini springform pan for a baby pie like the one above. And if you make a half recipe in a shallow pan, you can have a healthy cookie cake like the ones at the Great American Cookie Co in the mall.

The secretly healthy recipe – with over 1,600 positive reader reviews. If you haven't tried the recipe yet, it's highly recommended! Full recipe:

Deep Dish Cookie Pie

• 2 cans white beans or garbanzos (drained and rinsed) (500g total, once drained)
  • 1 cup quick oats (or certified-gf quick oats)
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 3 tbsp oil (canola, veg, or coconut)
  • 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 and 1/2 cups brown sugar (click for a Sugar-Free Deep Dish Cookie Pie)
  • 1 cup chocolate chips

Blend everything (except the chips) very well in a good food processor (not a blender). Mix in chips, and pour into an oiled pan (I used a 10-inch springform pan, but you can use a smaller pan if you want a really deep-dish pie.) Cook at 350F for around 35-40 minutes. Let stand at least 10 minutes before removing from the pan. (Some commenters have had success with a blender, but I did not. Try that at your own risk, and know the results will be better in a high-quality food processor such as a Cuisinart.)

I haven’t calculated the calories for this recipe, but a few of the commenters did. According to their calculations, the pie will have around 200 calories per slice, as opposed to 700 in a slice of traditional deep-dish cookie pie.

EDIT: Full nutrition facts for this recipe are now available in the Chocolate-Covered Katie Cookbook on page 139.

chocolate chip cookie pie

Perhaps calling it “healthy” is a stretch. After all, there’s still sugar, and there are still chocolate chips. But in comparison to your standard cookie pie—with its plethora of butter, eggs, and white flour—the above version is a much healthier alternative, while still tasting just as naughty. Plus, you get lots of fiber and protein from the oats and chickpeas.

And I promise no one can tell that these ingredients are in there. (Need proof? Just read all of the comments on this post!) This chocolate pie is a real crowd-pleaser, even with people who aren’t used to eating healthy desserts. Imagine cookie dough in the form of a pie.

Get FREE healthy dessert recipes delivered to your inbox

The easiest way to never miss a recipe! :)

Tags: , , , , ,

1. Carissa says:

really good!!! Thank you for providing wheat free recipes.

2. Roopali says:

Really want to try this! Where I live, we don’t get applesauce..can I substitute that with anything else?

1. Matyldakr says:

I can’t really find it where I live either, you can try making it by yourself , it’s pretty easy, like this recipe :

2. You can make your own applesauce..very easy..just will find easy options

3. Matyldakr says:

Delicious and filling! I have no idea where you get the ideas but it’s so brilliant! I baked it for my dad’s birthday, he was so happy with it. When I asked him what healthy main ingredient does he think is in it, he couldn’t get it right. The only thing I changed was that I put chopped chocolate in, because I can’t get chocolate chips where I live. I have to try the blondies 😀

4. Scrumptious says:

Thanks for this awesome recipe! I’ve pinned a million of your recipes but tonight is the first time I’ve made one. I was having a terrible treat craving. What a winner! I used chickpeas and thought it was yummy & SUPER rich (I could only eat a few spoonfuls, which I devoured hot, almost straight from the oven). Used coconut oil, extra chocolate chips (most of my original cupful melted into the batter, which I guess was warm from the food processor?) & about 1/3 C. dates + <1/2 C. brown sugar for sweetener. The pie has a slight beany/off flavor that isn't gross or anything, but I also will be curious to try next time with white beans instead of garbanzos.

5. Jolene says:

This cookie is Awesome, I substituted dates for brown sugar.

6. Charu Robertson says:

I love this recipe! I added a little pumpkin spice just to give a “warm” taste on a cold day :) I used my Ninja blender and it came out beautiful! I would not use normal blender, but the Ninja has the power to make chickpeas smooth so it works nicely! Thank you for your great recipes!

7. Beverly says:

Can anyone tell me what kinds of white beans Katie is referring to, and what size cans?

8. Hill Aeiker says:

I am having a dinner party and wanted to make this the day before and bake it the night of…..will it turn out ok?

9. Jen says:

I cannot believe how good this is! I just happened upon this recipe (and your awesome blog) and was pretty hesitant about the beans, but decided to give it a try anyway. I made a half recipe (used garbanzo beans) and split it into 4 ramekins for “single servings” and it is just fantastic. I usually eat pretty healthy, but also love sweets and baking so this is a great find for me. I swear, you can’t tell it has beans in it at all! I am impressed :) I can’t wait to take this to work and see if anyone can guess the secret ingredient. Thanks for a great recipe!

10. Dasha says:

Does this work with rolled oats as I do not buy quick oats. Thanks!

1. admattai says:

I just made it with rolled oats and it turned out great, I don’t buy quick oats either.

1. great..i needed to know quick oats here in Italy ..only regular ones…

11. Kayla says:

Can you use chickpeas instead of beans?

12. cj says:

This is probably my fave of all your recipes and I’ve made it so many times – Would love to see this submitted to so I could share with all my foodie friends :-)

13. Rebekah says:

Yum! I crumbled the beans and oats in the processor. Though I did it in two batches to fit. Then I mixed it with everything in a mixing bowl. I used extra applesauce instead of oil and halved the sugar. Delish!

14. Amy says:

I fell in love with your Healthy Cookie Dough Dip a while ago and have been wanting to try this recipe for a while. Finally did today and I loved it! I did use a Sugar/Splenda baking blend (3/4 c.) plus about 3 Tbsp of brown sugar and otherwise made it exactly as recommended. SO good!

15. Abi says:

Just made this! I used garbanzo beans which was a new experience. I have used black beans quite a bit but I was a little hesitant(the only time I really eat them is in hummus:)) but it was perfect! Any taste you think might be off in the dough comes out just fine once baked.

16. cat says:

I had to read dozens of reviews to find a few people who actually baked it. For others like me: they say too sweet, can cut sugar or use dates, and it sounds like they can’t taste the beans.

17. teeni new baker says:

hi katie! i just discovered your website and I was really ecstatic to find your blog because i have been looking for healthier recipes for favorite sweet treats for many weeks. Finding your blog is an answer to prayer! Ever since i have been breastfeeding, my appetite has grown and i resorted to baking my own treats so i know that i’m eating a healthier version. Gotta be healthy for my growing baby :) I wanna thank you for sharing your time and recipes to strangers like me. :) May i ask a question? I notice that many recipes use white beans. Unfortunately, it’s not that easy for me to find in my city. What would you recommend as an alternative? Would your recommend squash? Potatoes? Carrots?

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

You can use garbanzo beans or chickpeas.

18. Carrie says:

This was a big hit with my very picky 5 and 3 year old. Thanks!

19. Mary says:

What is the best way to keep this fresh? Should it be refrigerated? I just made it ahead of time for tomorrow’s dinner.

Yes, refrigerate.

20. admattai says:

Just made this – it’s delicious! This will be the breakfast of champions for the week :)

I cut the recipe in half, used chickpeas, and only used 1/2 cup of brown sugar and it was still good. thanks for the great recipe!

21. Laura Jones says:

I made this over the weekend, and brought it to work to see if anyone would notice the Garbanzo beans that I used. Of course, everyone loved it. One of the health nuts at work had 2 pieces and came back for another piece the next day! hahah. He didn’t even ask what was in it, because he knows I’m always experimenting with recipes such as yours (usually yours). Thanks for this, it was absolutely delicious. Now, lets see who will fight for the last piece. Muahah.

22. Ria says:

Would love to try this, but just wondering how many servings does this make?

23. Amber says:

This is amazing! I just made it and substituted 3 dates, 1/4 cup maple syrup and 1/2 cup brown sugar instead of the full 1 1/2 cups brown sugar for a EVEN HEALTHIER alternative!! Turned out delicious :) Thanks!!

24. Emma says:

Hiya! I just made this! My family quite enjoyed it, however I tasted the beans pretty strongly. Maybe because I was the only one who knew they were in there. I halved the batch and did everything according to directions. Maybe using fresh beans or garbanzos would be better than the canned, “white beans”. Thank you for the recipe!

25. Jen says:

I made this for my friend who has celiac and forgot she couldn’t eat my oatmeal so I substituted with 1c cooked quinoa…it required a longer baking time but was still really good! Love this recipe and love your blog!!

26. Alexis says:

I have made this recipe MULTIPLE times and no matter what i tweaked in it, it came out DELISH. i have subbed the brown sugar for splenda brown sugar and that was perfection. Then today i accidentally only bought 1 can garbonzos and 1 can KIDNEY beans so i figured what the heck and subbed one of the cans with kidney beans. I actually LOVED how it came out! maybe even more than the original recipe :) katie you are a GENIUS I have absolutely LOVED every recipe i have ever tried on your website XOXO

27. joanna says:

I made this recipe last night and I have to tell you it was amazingly good! I could not get over how it taste so much like cookie dough without all the white sugar and flour and eggs… My daughter who is very picky loved it along with some of my co-workers. I will definitely make this again and again. thank you for your website as I have a milk allergy and now have some delish dishes to make and eat!

28. Esther says:

Thanks for the innovative recipe! Mine turned out very nicely and I love that you can’t eat too much since it is so filling! I served it with whipped cream cheese and it was lovely. I think next time I will try it with less sugar.

29. Nicole says:

I just wanted to say THANK YOU sooooo much for an awesome recipe! I made this for a party and no one could believe I made it with garbanzo beans! It was super delicious, period! I’m a believer in Katie’s recipes!

30. Rose says:

Wow, this was amazing! I was skeptical at first. I added more chocolate than what was “necessary.” But, wow… ARE a genius!

31. Jessica A says:

This looks so delicious. I am a bit disappointed how it turned out. I did use a food processor, a small cuisinart, but I don’t think it blended as well as you described. Primarily, the dates just did not get blended. So that is probably why it didn’t turn out so well. I did bake it in a springform pan, and cut into 8 pie pieces. The calories came out to be much higher than expected. Actually I followed the sugar free version… and used stevia. My husband like it a lot, so that is a bonus. Just didn’t do for my chocolate chip craving like I was hoping, especially for 375 calories a ‘slice’. I won’t give up though. I will attempt again with another food processor.

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Unfortunately, it sounds like your food processor was not strong enough. Try a high quality food processor that can fully handle the dates. This recipe is delicious!

32. "The Godfather" Gus says:

Crunched the numbers for ya, Miss Katie.

Nutrition Facts:
    “Healthy” Deep-Dish Cookie Pie (1/16 pie)
    Calories: 258
    Fat: 8.7g
    Sat Fat: 0g
    Poly Fat: 0.12g
    Mono Fat: 0.25g
    Cholesterol: 0g
    Sodium: 181mg
    Potassium: 66mg
    Carbs: 45g
    Fiber: 4.7g
    Protein: 5.2g
    Calcium: 4% DV
    Iron: 5% DV

This is based on having used the following choice ingredients:
    -Oil ———— Organic Coconut Oil
    -Beans ——- Organic [Canned] White Beans
    -Chocolate — Okay, so I wasn’t spot-on… I added 50% more chocolate chips (1.5cups instead of just the 1)
    Otherwise, the recipe was followed exactly as listed, using organic ingredients for everything. If you want the totals for the entire recipe, [obviously] just multiply everything above by 16.
    This of course will not be exact for everyone because of varying brands and such, but IS exact for those that I used.

This was the fourth recipe of yours that I’ve tried (just found ya) and is my favorite.
    Wish I could get away with eating this more often; I’ll hafta try some of the suggested substitutions.
    Keep up the great work, ma’am.

33. Rose says:

Hi, I made this and it was incredible! Have you tried butter beans with this recipe?

34. Rayca says:

Just tool mine out of the oven. I made bars
    I just cooled them and tried. OMG. Sooooo good. Many thanks Katie

1. Rayca says:

Wow, this was really dry the next day. I imagine the brownies I made are the same. I made those too and they were good straight out of the oven but I don’t know about next day taste. The beans, of course. Maybe because I refrigerated? Still, even after microwave it’s still dry. Will have to add more applesauce. I thought that and the sugar would be plenty to keep it moist. Not so.

35. Anna says:

this is such a fab recipe! i’ve made it a few times now each with a different variation on the original. my fav is adding rasberries or blackberries to the mix contrasts the sweet dough really well! yuuuuuuuuuumo.

36. Lori says:

We made this for our 1 year old’s birthday. We used carob chips in place of the chocolate chips.

37. Mindy says:

I have made this with white sugar and love it.

38. Spencer Miller says:

This looks amazing. Well all your recipes are amazing!:) I was wondering, if you were to calculate the calories do you take the drained weight of the beans? I have never know whether I should weigh them drained or not?

39. Kasi says:

These look so good! I was just wondering if you post how many calories are in these treats?!

1. Yes, all recipes as of 2012 have nutrition facts.

40. Stephanie says:

this recipe is amazing Katie! I brought it into work and everyone wanted the recipe! i made sure to give them your website! :)

the only question i have is that when i made mine it came out kind of soupy and the garbanzo bean smell was kind of heavy. is there anything i can do to fix that?

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Rinse extremely well. it should not have a weird smell unless you have a bad can of beans.

41. Tanya says:

This is insanely delicious!

42. Alysa says:

I just wanted to say how much I love your blog! My family is vegan and my mother (I’m 16) is our main cook. Though I enjoy cooking, hers usually outdoes mine but your recipes have been a huge hit, especially this one! I brought this in to school once and now my friends are constantly asking when I’ll next be bring in something. So thank you again! And keep on putting those recipes out :)

43. Isobel says:

Oh my. I’ve made this pie 2 times now and I can confirm that it is incredible. This last time I made a few little changes. I halved the recipe, added 2 Tbsp almond butter, and used unsweetened carob chips instead of chocolate chips. It was even better this time than the time I stuck to the recipe! even my football playing, junkfood loving 16 year old brother begrudgingly admitted that it tasted “just like a cookie.” His girlfriend liked it even more. As for me… well lets just say I was only able to stop after 3 slices. And No yucky sugar hangover the next day!

44. Eileen says:

Is there anything I can sub for oats?

Try flax meal.

45. Thuy-My says:

This is the best thing ever! It tastes soooo fantastic. I want to eat it for every meal.

46. Esther says:

Love love love this recipe! Made it twice one time with a gluten free pie crust! Came out exactly as a toll house pie, and the second time with a graham cracker crust! Both were amazing! Is there anything to sub for oats? As someone whom I making it for is allergic! Thank you

Try flax meal.

47. Cheri says:

Thanks so much for this recipe! I did want to say that it was a little sweet for my tastes. I used coconut sugar, and I’m sure that 1 cup would have been sufficient.

48. Neely taylor says:

I am so excited to find this website, thank you tonya! I made the oatmeal chocolate chip muffins and they are fabulous! I am obsessed with this website! Thank you Katie!

49. kita says:

in this case what can I substit. applesauce for? an egg, more oil…

50. Maida says:

just wondering if a vita-mix would work? :)

1. Michelle says:

Have you tried with the vitamix? I’m wondering the same thing since I do not have a food processor please let me know if you tried it and how it came out! Thank you 😀

51. Steph says:

I have recently discovered your blog and absolutely LOVE the single serving cakes, zucchini fries, and the chocolate cake with a secret ingredient (made with pumpkin). Everything looks so good, and I was wondering if you had any suggestions for bean substitutions? Unfortunately I have a weak stomach that cannot handle too many beans (or cauliflower) despite the fact that I love them :(

52. patricia says:

Just want to appreciate so much this recipe. i made it to celebrate 2 birthdays Saturday.
    it was to die for. all 6 people loved it and had no idea it was made with beans instead
    of flour. Was very moist, with an amazing texture. Now i wish to make only healthy
    desserts with beans in place of flour. i used Cannellini white beans and white navy beans bc that is what i had on hand. will use all Cannellini beans in future most likely.
    Katy, thank you so much for creating this recipe. Are there more dessert recipes with
    beans instead of flour?

Many! :-) See her link:

53. Danielle says:

Do you think I could par bake this and freeze it for a couple of days, then take it out and finish baking right before a party? I am making several of your desserts for my son’s 5th birthday party and I’d like to save on time the day of the party, but, still have this be fresh and mostly warm :) (ps. the party is this Saturday and I’m making this right now!)

It freezes well!

54. Made this for a bunch of girlfriends who came over for a pot luck lunch and everyone loooovvvveeed it!!… and then I told them it was healthy and made with oatmeal and chickpeas… they couldn’t believe it.

Thanks for the recipe!

Julia Kristina

55. Hey Katie!

I’ve always been a huge fan of your blog.
    I recently tried this dish with my sister and it turned out great!

So great, we made this 2-minute video about it:

We hope you like it :)

56. DukanVegan says:

Katie, this Healthy Deep Dish Cookie Pie ist SO DAMN delicious – I love it!

I’m from Germany, on the Dukan Diet for three months now AND I am a vegan – crazy pairing, hm?
    I lost 28 pounds and entered the “Consolidation Phase (Phase 3)” four weeks ago. Now I am able to feed my sweet tooth now and then.. and this is when your blog became so important to me!

So I tried your receipt, replaced the brown sugar with Xylitol and used “Xylitol chocolate chips” – it turned out very well! Thank you so so much for this awesome receipt and for your nice blog in general – keep it up!
    My boyfriend doesn’t like it so much but he doesn’t have this strong attraction I have with Fudge, Dough,.. 😀 Philistine!

Love, Romy

57. Karen says:

My daughter, who is vegan, made this this past weekend for my meat loving family and we ate it up! I can’t wait to make this myself!

58. Chelsie says:

Since my food processor wasn’t working well I was trying to blend the beans before adding the other ingredients thank god I did. I put it in a bowl and used a hand mixer and a spoon to kind of mash the rest of it and it worked. Also used oat flour rather than whole quick oats just because of the mixing issues. Never baked with beans before so I was really apprehensive but you can’t taste them (I used white beans) and it definitely tastes like a regular chocolate chip cookie.

59. Meghan Morris says:

I have made this in a Springform pan and loved it… I would like to make it in a Bar Pan. Will it work?

60. Sarah says:

To those who don’t have a food processor!!!!!

I just tried this recipe today and I don’t have a food processor! I had trouble in the blender since the beans get tight and most of the ingredients are dry. I was adding things one at a time and then I thought to make the brown sugar into a syrup before blending it!

This helped so much! It added the necessary wetness to get the blender to work right. I just did 1/2 cup water and a TBS of butter and 1 cup brown sugar. Boiled until sugar was dissolved and let cool a little. It was a little more runny than normal syrup but this probably is for the best in this recipe.

Warning, if you don’t let the syrup cool completely it will melt the chocolate chips when you stir those into the batter!

Hope this helps those of you with no processor! Also, I didn’t read through all the comments so sorry if this was mentioned before!

61. Julie R says:

Hi, Katie! I’m so excited to try this recipe! It’s in the oven now. I calculated calories and thought someone might be interested in what I came up with. I only used 5 oz of chocolate chips and found it to be 284 calories a slice if cut into 12 slices. If you cut them into 16 small pieces, it calculates to 213 a slice. Of course, it will at about 9 – 12 more calories per slice if adding another ounce of chocolate. Blessings!

62. Lisa Moore says:

The My Fitness Pal app calculates the the calories at 341 for 10 servings as written above. Will try toning down the brown sugar a little since there are chocolate chips in it, too.

63. Isaac says:

I was wondering if you could replace the garbanzo beans with rice flour and the oats with coconut flour or almond flour. I have bad reactions to foods with beans and oats. Thanks!

64. Jennifer Rasmussen says:

This sounds fantastic! And you could go one step further and substitute the chocolate chips with broken bits of 86% or 90% cacao. :) Love it!

65. KC says:

Just made this for my boyfriends birthday dessert and WHOA my was it good!!! Crispy on the outside and ooey gooey on the inside. Followed recipe exactly and paired it with vegan vanilla ice cream. Was great for breakfast next morning too 😉 will deff make again. Thanx Katie!

66. Tiffany says:

This recipe is exceptional! I’ve already made it numerous times, and whenever I do, I marvel at your ingenuity. You’ve taken the copious quantities of butter and white flour and replaced them with a creation entirely wholesome and healthful. You rock :)

67. Sarah Burns says:

This cookie cake is out of control! I replaced the oil with 3 Tbs almond butter and replaced the brown sugar with 1/4 cup maple syrup. I love it! Some people may not because it’s not as sweet as it could be, plus you do get a beany hint, which I LOVE! Also, I only had I can of garbanzo beans, so I used one can of great northern too. Great recipe!

68. Leila revel says:

This recipe looks soooo good! Does anyone know the conversion for the sugar to dates in cups? Would honey be ok to use?

1. Sarah K says:

See her link in the recipe for the sugar free version. It has a version with dates.

69. Isadora says:

I LOVE THIS STUFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT’S SO GOOD! OH MY!

70. SK says:

Just made some! I love this blog. Added a wee bit of unsweetend almond milk cause I used a blender!

71. Hey! I made this for myself for national chocolate chip cookie day. Except I put the dough in muffin tins and put a rolo in the middle of the individual deep dish cookies. =) Thanks for the recipe!

72. Jeanette says:

This is the all time most amazing dessert–every one whose ever tasted it loves it!!! Just signed up for CCK on Pinterest!

73. Christi says:

I made this last night for a party where the little girl has gluten and dairy allergies. It was a big hit! Everyone loved it, including me (I made sure not to mention the beans). I brought home a piece to my teenage daughter who knew there were beans it. She ate half a piece and then sensed the bean taste and stopped eating it. My advice, don’t tell people there are beans in it if you don’t have to. Next time, I think I may up the vanilla by a 1/2 tsp as well and see if it masks the beans a little more. Thanks for the recipe!!!! Its a keeper!

74. Elaine says:

Sharing my alteration to this recipe… No applesauce and eliminated half of the chick peas, all replaced with banana! Delicious! I also had no chocolate chips, no judgements, I was in shock myself…anyways added a touch of Nutella and peanut butter chips instead…Delicious!

75. Anna Stewart says:

I absolutely loved this!!!!! It’s amazing and delicious and you have to try it!!!!!!!!!!!!! I gave a slice to my friend who is afraid of healthy food, and she said it was he best thing she ate in her entire life! All of your friends and family will love it! Thanks Katie, this is the recipe for the best cookie pie I have ever tasted (yes I eat a lot of cookie pies, don’t judge). Anyone who reads this MUST try it :)
    xx Anna

76. Alyssa says:

Help! The cans I use up here in Canada us mL. I don’t know what size can of beans to use?

1. Sarah K says:

77. Sophie says:

I made this cake for my little brother’s birthday. He has a dairy, wheat, and egg allergy so I needed a pretty specific recipe, and here it was! I was kinda skeptical because of the beans, but went for it anyway due to the wonderful things I’ve heard about this blog. It was FANTASTIC. My whole family loved it! Definitely one of the tastiest cakes I’ve ever made. Thank you so much for all you do!!

78. Ina Guinn says:

I’ve made the deep dish cookie pie 2x so far. The first time I used 1C coconut palm sugar and 1/2C brown sugar. So Yummy. Second time I used 1 1/2C coconut palm sugar. It was good to but people could tell. However, it was eaten at one setting. Lol This is my new favorite healthy dessert for anyone’s chocolate fix. Making it again tonight but I’m making 2. My grandkids are here. Lol

79. Sarah K says:

80. Aja says:

just now discovered this via my mother-in-law… OMG. i’ll never feel guilty about dessert again.

81. Dave says:

When making your recipie my oven caught fire and burned down the house. No, I was just kidding. It turned out great! I. did substitute 1/2 of brown sugar with coconut sugar in hopes of lowering the glycemic index. Taste great thanks for your ideas!!! You certainly know cool beans.

82. Clara says:

It looks yummy! but.. does it taste like chickpeas or beans?

83. Monique says:

Are the chocolate chips used semi-sweet or milk chocolate?

1. Monique says:

Alright. Thank you!

84. Cate says:

Seriously AMAZING.

I don’t have a food processor so I used a countertop mixer and it was really difficult and took a long time and it ended up kinda chunky with flakes of garbanzos, but you know what? It was STILL good. I’m sure when blended thoroughly there would be no difference between the texture of this and real cookies.

I’ve been recently informed that I have a lot of food allergies, so finding recipes to fill the hole in my heart where baked goods used to be is a struggle. I see tons of things on Pinterest that turn out just plain nasty, but this is not one of those things. I’d eat this even if I could eat gluten!

85. Maddy says:

Could I bake it in a 8×8 glass pan?

86. Jaelyn says:

I made it last night and it was the best thing I have ever tried I’m going to make it for my mother Friday

87. Richelle says:

Katie, I’m a fan of yours and I love your recipes. I’ve tried this recipe and it’s amazing… I’m looking for ways to not use regular sugar but I don’t like going sugar-free, so I was thinking of using coconut sugar. I know you probably won’t know for sure, but you probably have more experience with this sort of thing so — do you think this recipe would still work if I substituted coconut sugar for the regular sugar?

1. Definitely will work. Just make sure it is packed, as brown sugar is more dense than coconut sugar.

88. Tenya says:

How many servings does this full recipe make? Is it 1 pan/cake for 8 people? Are you supposed to make 2 pans? It seems like a lot for 1 baking dish! :)

89. Erin says:

I just baked half the recipe with a crystal stevia blend. it turned out awesome

90. Kelly says:

i love this recipe I have made it today. how many pieces has everyone cut the pie into?would you recommend putting it in the fridge for a harder texture?

91. Joy Barker says:

I made this dessert a while back but it wasn’t a healthy recipe though so i will have a place for my recipes and of Course Yours And I Love This One Recipe and That’s mt problem i love sweets and they don’t Love Me ha ha So anyway Thank You So So Much for Sharing These Healthy Recipes !!! God Bless You and as I Would Never Have Found The Site Without Help From You, Sincerely Yours Frances Barker

92. Shannon says:

I am thinking of bringing this somewhere this weekend but will have to make it a day ahead and won’t be able to warm it up…will it taste just as good or should I wait until another time when I can serve it warm and fresh from the oven?

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Just as good the next day!

93. Nida says:

Made this and it tasted amazing! Made my own applesauce for the recipe and it was just delicious. Thank you for sharing this recipe!

94. Nicole says:

Always been a fan. but my first attempt at this loverly deep dish cookie pie ended up with me having a big bowl of cookie dough dip with a few crust-like pieces. lol
    It came out of the oven looking pretty but as soon as I took away the sides of the pan it splurged into a goopy mess. Must’ve made a mistake somewhere, but it was still delicious so I just sliced up an apple to go with it and called it a “WIN” anyway :)

95. Denise says:

That. Was. Phenomenal. SO delicious and easy! Thanks for the awesome recipes! Keep them coming!

96. Kate says:

Hi Katie!

Could you try and adapt this recipe for a single portion, and maybe microwaveable? None of my friends will eat cake made with chickpeas and I can’t get the quantities right when I do it for one person :( it rises up and then sinks!

1. SM says:

Great idea! I just tried this pie last night and would love a ramekin-sized single-serving, too.

97. Tracey says:

I calculated this to be around 500 calories per slice, wondering if I did something wrong? Still, tastes awesome!

1. SM says:

Agreed. I used only 1 of the 1.5 cups of sugar and it was still plenty sweet. Next time, I would lessen the sugar even more and cut back on chocolate chips to save calories, and/or possibly even sub more applesauce for the canola oil.

98. Shawn says:

MAN, this looks really good. I’ll have to show my wife so we can make it. I have a healthy living blog that I will post this on, too. With white (or garbanzo) beans?! Wow.

99. Neville Bergin says:

I substituted Almond Meal for the oats, which worked well. I would suggest that unless you have a really sweet tooth, that you don’t need the sugar as the dates provide quiet enough sweetness, at least for my taste.

100. Angie says:

Hi Katie, how many slices does this recipe make?

101. Angie says:

Hi Katie, how many slices does this recipe make?( you said most commenters said the count per slice was 200 calories, so just wondering how much the full thing is)

1. Nat says:

16 slices; 1 slice = 196 cal

102. ABM says:

Hi, could I use old-fashioned oats, instead of quick oats? That’s what I have in my cupboard right now. Also, do you think 1 cup of brown sugar would be sufficient, as I don’t like it too, too sugary, but I don’t have dates on hand? or has anyone made it with less than 1 cup sugar? Thanks!

103. Sonam says:

So this is an awesome dessert that I have made multiple times this summer. I have only tried making the dessert with chickpeas myself and my friend made with white beans and both have been great. My dad didn’t like the warm just out of the oven texture so I browned the sides a bit by spraying with Pam and it gave a crispier outside with that softer just baked cookie inside. Definitely would and have recommended this recipe.

104. I live in Italy and it is nearly impossible to get Quick Oats here..for the Deep Dish Cookie Pie. Can I use regular oats??? Any adjustments if I do?

105. Ashley says:

Hey Katie. Do you think it would be okay to subsitute with coconut sugar and stevia? I was thinking one cup coconut sugar and some stevia (not sure how much). I don’t eat regular sugar and it has changed my life, but this recipe looks too good to pass up. Thanks!

106. Jessica says:

How many servings does this make?

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

It makes a 10-inch pie, so serves 8-10.

2. Nat says:

I cut mine into 16 pieces and it was plenty.

107. Souri says:

Hello Katie, I can’t wait to make this dessert. even though I don’t know if I have any problem with regular flour, I know people who would love this recipe for that reason. Thank you for posting this delicious looking dessert.

108. Vivi says:

Love this! Can’t wait to make! But does anyone know if I could make this with rolled oats? And if so, how much?

109. Jolynn says:

I want to make this sooo bad but I don’t have a food processor! D:

110. Christine says:

I’ve tried this recipe a few times and each time it’s delicious! The only problem is your brain will tell you you can eat the whole pie because it’s healthy and “doesn’t count”!

P.S. I add a little extra sweetener to satisfy my immense sweet tooth.

111. Erin says:

My boyfriend didn’t even notice 😉 loved the beans idea!! Xx

112. Roni says:

Simply amazing! Everybody in my family loved it!
    Even my mom who is usually not a fan of my healthy desserts expirament
    big success

113. Jessika says:

We are also dealing with some oat & nut allergies….could you recommend something to replace the oats with?

114. Hannah says:

Hi Katie! I really want to make this recipe but first I have a question. This has no milk listed on the ingredients but on the sugar free version there is 2/3 cup. Is this a typo or is the milk added because of the dates in place of sugar? I was going to try half sugar and half dates so I guess I’m wondering if I need to add some milk as well. By the way I LOVE your blog!

115. Samantha says:

Hi, Katie!
    This cookie pie looks amazing! I want to badly to make this, but because I’m allergic to oats, is there anyway to skip the oats in this recipe, or could I replace them with more flour, or partially crushed sunflower or pumpkin seeds for a similar texture?

116. angie says:

Hi Katie, do you think if I used 1 1/2 cans of beans and 1/2 cup of pumpkin the cookie pie bake well and have a somewhat similar taste and texture?

117. Samantha says:

Hi, Katie!
    I’ve posted 2 comments so far, but they’ve disappeared. Bizarre.
    Anyway, your deep-dish cookie pie looks FABULOUS! I love chocolate, and cookies, and beans–so I’m excited to try your recipe! However, I’m allergic to oats, so is there a way to skip the oats and maybe add more flour or partially-crushed pumpkin or sunflower seeds for a similar texture? Thanks in advance! :)

118. Lucie says:

I don’t know what I did wrong. My batter was rather dry and crumbly, but I figured it would melt together in the oven. Not so – it remained a crumble. My kids ate it up, but I was rather looking forward to a cookie consistency. There’s not much wet stuff in this, yet all the other comments said it turned out perfectly. What did I do wrong??

1. Lucie says:

Ah, I know what went wrong. I subbed coconut flour since I didn’t have any shredded coconut and it was too many dry ingredients. Next time will be perfect!!

1. SM says:

?? There’s no coconut flour or shredded coconut called for at all in this recipe.

2. Nat says:

Did you put in the applesauce? I imagine the applesauce, oil, and beans make it wet.

119. Jessica says:

Okay, I was skeptical, but this is the most fantastic recipe ever. EVER. In the history of everything. I can still have my chocolate and stick to a PCOS-friendly pre-wedding diet. Thank you so much!

120. Amanda says:

My kids and I made this today. They were not phased by the addition of beans at all – it’s very filling and goes well with ice cream. 😉

121. Angie K says:

I’ve made this a handful of times as per your instructions with wonderfully gooey and delicious results (seriously…your recipe is SO GOOD), but today I wanted to see just how much I could cut the added sugar down and still have a tasty cookie pie… I made it with only one can of chickpeas, a microwaved and skinned sweet potato, no applesauce, and only 1/3 cup of sugar (plus of course all of the other ingredients – baking soda, vanilla, etc.), and it was still super sweet! Next time I’ll try to get away with 1/4 cup of sugar! 😀 Actually, I wonder if I were to use a sweet potato AND the applesauce, I wouldn’t even need to add any sugar. o_o Anyway, thanks so much for your clever recipes. They’re fun to indulge in every once in a while =)

122. celeste says:

Can I substitute the gf quick oats for something else? Oats don’t agree with him. deep dish dish cookie pie. thx

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

You can always experiment with flour, flaxmeal, or even quinoa flakes. If you experiment, be sure to report back!

123. Steph says:

Thanks for this recipe. I have made it several times and everyone enjoys it.

124. Jess says:

I am the most jaded, skeptical Masshole you could ever imagine. I could not fathom that this recipe could taste good, or even palatable. BUT, I am always willing to give things a try, so I bought the ingredients for this cookie pie. Oh my goodness. This recipe is BEYOND ‘wicked good’. It is incredible, amazing, stupendous. I serve it to people without telling them they’re getting a ‘healthy’ dessert and they don’t know the difference! It’s perfect for my Dad and I, who have a hereditary disease that causes high cholesterol. I also have diabetes in the family on my Mom’s side, and I have PCOS, so watching what I eat is very important. I am down 10 pounds over the last month, without having to give up the foods I love most. The portion sizes are perfect to satisfy a craving. I also love that the recipes are budget-friendly. If you’re ever in Boston, give a shout – I am part of a running club that tends to spend time after our runs at wine/chocolate bars and we’d love to take you to a Sox game! :)

125. Nicole says:

I made this cookie pie about 20 times already and it’s a big hit with everyone that tries it! The original recipe is fabulous but I substitute honey for sugar and I add in some spinach sometimes. Truly delicious.

126. Elisabeth says:

Has anyone successfully subbed coconut flour?

127. chris says:

Katie, just wondering, why do you choose to use quick oats? what is the difference in using quick oats vs regular rolled oats? i know the quick oats are a little more processed and i usually only have regular rolled oats on hand.

128. AG says:

Katie this pie is amazing! My bf was skeptical and even he loved it, 2 pieces after a huge dinner!! THANK YOU

129. Nora says:

Oh my!! This is so delicous! I made it with chickpeas and a lot of chocolate chips and my boyfriend and I are addicted to it now. I replaced the sugar with raw agave, it works very well. Thank you so much for this wonderful recipe!! :)

130. Lisa H says:

Oh, this is always a favorite. I like it because I can whip it up in no time (for those surprise guests) or when I have a houseful of kids that want something sweet (but can sneak in some healthy protein). It was the first recipe I made from your blog and have been hooked ever since. Thanks!

131. Kristy says:

I made this for my husbands birthday tonight!
    Wow. This was good! Waaay too sweet though (coming from a sugar addict. Lol)
    I used northern beans, 1/2 cup quinoa flakes and 1/2 cup almond meal instead of oats, 1/2 milk chocolate chips and 1/2 white chocolate chips. I added an apple because my store didn’t have a good one. 3 vanilla beans and also about 1/2 cup of cashew butter. Oh and 1 cup brown sugar and 1/2 cup regular sugar. Oddly, you can’t really taste the vanilla or the cashew butter because of the over powering white chocolate chips. Lol Very good though!
    Oh, I also did it in two batches using my nutribullet, So I also used a small amount of rice milk to get the blades moving.
    Thank you!

132. Michelle says:

I know you said food processor not a blender, but has anyone tried a vitamix for this?

133. Shannon says:

WOW! Thank you so much for this recipe, it’s SO delicious! I have tried a few others and they don’t compare. The only sub I did was I used coconut sugar for the brown sugar, much lower GI impact and calories as well as has some vitamins to boot! Next time, I’m going to try it with Flax seed instead of oatmeal to up the health quotient. But all in all, pretty darn healthy and YUMMY!!! Another huge thank you for it being GF and DF!

134. Hollym says:

This was seriously amazing! I can’t stop eating it. We made it in our blender and it came out fine. It tastes even better the next day in my opinion. I’m already thinking about making it again as soon as we finish it off. It’s that good.

135. Claire says:

This is incredible. It actually frees me up to eat cookie dough for breakfast. I actually replaced the oil with 2 tbsp. more applesauce and 1 tbsp. butter (I’m not vegan), and I only used 1/2 cup sucanat with a handful of extruded dates, and blended it up in the vitamix. It was plenty sweet! Great recipe, and I am looking forward to getting more garbanzo beans. Even my husband couldn’t tell it was healthy, and said it was really good! This is genius.

136. Yvette says:

Hi. Is the recipe better with white beans or garbanzo beans? Thanks!

Really good both ways!

137. Summer Serrano says:

Oh MY Katie this was so good! :) I baked it last night and me and my family coudln`t believe it was actually healthy! At first my mom thought it was gross due to the chickpeas. We even made a bet if it was good or not and I definitely won! 😀 Your a genius ! This is now my favorite recipe so far 😀 . It definitely satisfies my cravings. Thanks for the extra-ordinary recipe :)

138. Jenny says:

I simply love this recipe and make it all the time. For no sugar, I use dates. 1 & 1/2 cups soaked and pitted dates — yum! Keep the water the dates were soaked in to use if you need when blending in the food processor.
    Perfect for kids parties! They don’t even know the difference!

139. tanisha says:

could i use cocoa nibs in place of the chocolate chips? oh and coconut palm sugar for the sugar in it?

140. Robin says:

This is amazing. I thought the blondies were good, but WOW.

Baking note: I made this in a standard pie plate. It puffed up and didn’t overflow, but it was close. If you’re going to make this, I recommend a deep pie plate. Also, it takes ages to cool, so make it way ahead of the rest of your meal.

141. Angela Kindzia says:

My husband and I love your deep dish cookie pie. For the holidays i substituted peppermint extract instead of vanilla and it gave the pie a wonderful flavor. I also broke this peppermint bar (Theo Chocolate – Organic & Fair Trade Dark Chocolate 70 Cacao peppermint Stick – 3oz) into pieces and put in the food processor. I add 2 very ripe bananas and a small amount of honey in place of the brown sugar. I still added the chocolate pieces at the end. It has a wonderful peppermint flavor! :-) Thank you for your wonderful recipes.

142. Yiskah says:

What size cans of beans are you using? I made it and it came out with a weird refried beans kind of texture (gritty), and I’m wondering if my cans of beans were too big??? Or is it supposed to be gritty?

143. SM says:

Katie, I finally made this yesterday after drooling over it for months. It’s FANTASTIC! I reduced sugar to 1 cup and it was still plenty sweet. My only question: my cookie pie did not rise at all (like yours seems to have done so beautifully). Perhaps my baking soda went ‘bad’? I look forward to ordering your book — congrats on it!

144. Matea says:

I usually just make the traditional cookies, but this looks delicious! What a great idea!

145. Julie adams says:

Hi there, your recipes all look, looking forward to you Christmas special healthy treats and things to make as gifts!!

146. Artie says:

This is amazing! Used half of a banana instead of applesauceand red beans instead of chickpeans and it was still fantastic! Thanks for the great recipe!

147. Izzy G says:

So for my school cooking class competition, my group is making dessert and there has to be garbanzo beans in it, but we have to use less than 1 and 1/2 cups of sugar. How much should we use?

148. Amy says:

Has anyone tried this recipe unbaked ?? I’m curious if it comes out the same consistency as the cookie dough dip. I’m making this at my work and want to try a nut-free option.

1. Peg says:

Haha! I did this recipe the same time as you did. The consistency of the batter is like hummus.

2. Peg says:

The consistency is like hummus. It should stick to your veggies.

3. Peg says:

The consistency is like soft hummus.

4. Amy says:

Thanks all!!!

149. Peg says:

Whoa! I say, WHOA!! This is unbelievably good! I can’t believe it’s vegan and has beans. The last time I tried beans was in a black bean brownie and didn’t like it at all. The picky kids and I can’t taste any of the garbanzos! We’re a meat eating, non vegan family who are loving your recipes. I’m glad for my Cuisinart food processor because I probably would have gotten a grittier batter from the garbanzos. Also, I don’t trust myself so I halved the recipe but used one cup of brown sugar. I omitted the choc chips because I don’t like the taste of vegan Enjoy Life chips. THANK YOU FOR SHARING, KATIE!!

150. Nat says:

Tried this and while it’s good for a healthy dessert, it does not taste anything like the real thing. I used coconut oil and garbanzo beans. I only used 1 cup of choc chips, but if I were to make it again I would put in more. Even with 1.5 cups of brown sugar (unpacked), it’s not very sweet.

151. Carol S says:

Just made this for the first time ever! What a great recipe! :-) Just test tasted the first piece & shared it with my mom who is diabetic! I switched out the regular light brown sugar for brown sugar blend so she could enjoy a taste! I was pleeasantly surprised with the amazing flavor! I mashed the beans & used my mixer! It came out perfect! Not as fine as yours , but just as pretty! Took pictures to share with friends later!!! Merry Christmas to you & your crew Katie! Hope it’s a blessed one!!! <3

152. Nancy says:

How long can this sit in the fridge before eating?
    And/or can it be frozen for a later date?
    I love this pie and have made it several times, but we usually eat it within a day or so. I just took it out of the oven and then got a phone call that our dinner party was canceled (sick kid) and I’d like to save the pie, if possible, for a future occasion.

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

It can sit in the fridge for at least 3 days! Some commenters say you can freeze it.

153. Avril says:

Katie, I love your blog, I truly do… BUT I have diabetes so I must keep control of carbs. Is it presenting too big a challenge to ask you to do some low-carb-yet-Katie-delicious recipes?

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Good news is that Katie’s deep dish cookie pie shows up in her cookbook, and in the book it DOES have full nutrition facts listed :-)

154. Mandie says:

This and the cinnamon roll pie are both so good! I have eaten the cinnamon roll one for breakfast!

155. HereForAReason says:

Hey Katie!! First, I want to thank you for this website!! It is my favorite blog ever! I have made the Deep Dish Cookie Pie for my family a couple of times, (SO DELISH!!!!) and we where wondering what the serving size for it is? Thank you so much!!
    P.S My 10 siblings, my Mom and Dad and I all love it, and some of us are Picky eaters!! Thanks for such great recipes!

Says in the post it serves 8-10

156. karen says:

I made this tonight except substituted the sugar for stevia blend and 2 TBSP molasses because I can’t have brown sugar (I am sugar free). It was great, even my kids liked it. However my husband could tell it was somehow healthy and was just so so on it. I really enjoyed it and will make it again.

157. Jennie says:

Hi Katie. Sorry if you’ve already answered this question… I want to halve the recipe and bake it in a smaller pan, and I’m wondering how long I should bake it for?

Thanks so much!

158. Becky says:

This. Was. INSANE! You are a goddess
    I used coconut sugar instead of brown and it was perfect!

159. molly seay says:

Hi, beautiful pictures. The dessert looks great too. You know those trolls that just have to comment with negativity? They irk me, and it hurts that I must add this to the conversation, but I must. Your recipe is creative, but not healthy.
    First with all the carbs from the beans (that’s 20 grams per 15 once can) and that the quick oats (18 grams per cup cooked) have the highest glycemic index number out of the various oatmeal varieties you have mucho carbs. White beans are good for weightloss and even on my low carb diet I eat them, but paired with the refined oats they are now a good way to gain weight. Then you add almost two cups of brown sugar, and nothing with that much sugar is healthy unless it’s the size of a small rug. That much sugar will cause a spike in blood sugar which leads to weight gain. Top that with the regular sugar laden chocolate chips and this is not at all healthy as far as weight loss, or keeping blood sugar stable. The beans and oats are not empty calories, so is that what you meant by healthy? Eating this will cause weight gain and all the other issues regular sweets will give you, but at a lower pace as regular flour has over 77 grams of carbs per cup. I’d suggest substituting the Br sugar with coconut sugar, and the chocolate with chocolate sweetened with stevia or a non sugar. Finally choose steel cut oats instead of quick cook and then it would be healthy. As is it’s just not the devil, but a minion. Don’t worry I hate myself for writing this. I have to careful what I eat so I study food substitutions every day. It look great though.

160. fitlifesurvivor says:

Wanted to make a dessert for Superbowl festivities that was somewhat healthy. I love Katie’s recipes, so I went with this one. LOVED IT!!!! Sooooo good. I cut the brown sugar to 1 cup, and probably could’ve cut back even more. It was plenty sweet with 1 cup. Thank you so much Katie for sharing your delicious recipes!

161. Lauren says:

This..was..AWESOME!! Seriously it’s so damn good I don’t want to stop eating it. If people are worried about the sugar content I think there’s definite ways to make some substitions. I didn’t make any changes to this but sometimes you need to forget about your clean eating lifestyle and reward yourself! Intuitive eating/all in moderation not deprivation is the way to go :D. I will try the updated version with the dates next. I can’t wait to make this for my non vegan judgmental family. There’s nothing negative you could say about this delicious cookie!

162. Annika says:

A lot of your recipes look delish! I just wish I had the ingredients to make these! I am a chocolate chip cookie lover all the way. But your recipes have coconut milk, which we do not buy, and garbanzo beans? I think I will try to find some beans to make these. I just wanted to tell you that I think you have an amazing talent for baking and cooking and you make my life so much simpler with easy dinners and desserts. Thank you for creating a website so beautiful and yummy! :)

163. Justine says:

Any particular reason they need to be “quick oats”? I usually only buy the old-fashioned kind. Think they would work?

164. Ali says:

I have to admit, I was dubious and threw this recipe together haphazardly while cooking dinner. Then….WOWZA!!! It’s AMAZING! It really, really does taste like a cookie pie, except somehow BETTER because it’s gooier. I have to admit I threw most of my dinner into tupperware leftover containers and just gorged on this……
    To all those who doubt: MAKE IT!! And definitely add ice cream :)

165. Sammi says:

I have been wanting to try this recipe for ever so long but I don’t have a food processor so I figured I should wait until I had one. Well, I still don’t have a food processor, but I decided to try mixing the batter with a hand mixer and IT WORKED!
    So good 😀 I am so happy eating this right now. Thank you so much for this lovely recipe!

166. Tory says:

I have made this pie over and over again- even for non-vegans. It is so delicious!

Check out my Vegan Salted Dark Chocolate Cookies!

167. Perpetua says:

Hi, Katie!
    I’m 14 and I suffer from a lot of major food allergies, (namely gluten, corn, soy, rice, nuts, oats), but these looks absolutely delicious! Because I’m oat-intolerant, is there any way to substitute them in this recipe????? Maybe with lightly chopped unhulled sunflower seeds, or something? I desperately want to make these!!! :) Please reply soon!
    – Perpetua

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Try flaxmeal or some sort of flour. Or sunflower flour if something like that exists.

168. McKenzie says:

What about using Sucanat? I tried making hot cocoa with Sucanat today and didn’t like it so now I’m hesitant to use it in baked goods. Also, could I make these “individual” cookie cakes using a muffin tin?

169. Agnes says:

I made half a batch and it’s in the oven now! I used some agave instead of brown sugar and the dough tasted heavenly. Can’t wait! :)

170. Sadie says:

I just made this!!! So yummy & gooey!! A little too gooey because I think I used to many beans (I used two cans but I think the total grams of beans i used were about 50% more than indicated in the recipe & of course I had chocolate blinders on so I didn’t notice that til I re-read the recipe to see where I went wrong) Anyhoo, I’ll still be eating this one & I will measure the beans more carefully next time…because there will be a next time for this yummy treat!! Looking forward to trying more of your recipes!!

171. karla says:

Is this vegan or paleo or gluten free, I’m being asked by a friend.

Vegan and gluten free.

172. I follow your directions to the letter and the taste is amazing. What can I add to make it a bit thicker without using a smaller pan? Thank you. Angela

173. Ali says:

Hi Katie! I LOVE this recipe and I LOVE your blog and I just bought your book, since I spend way too much time on your site anyway. Thanks for all the delicious hard work you do!
    Just wanted to say that before also asking: do you know if it’s possible to freeze this dough, like one sometimes freezes normal cookie dough if one isn’t going to be using all of it at once? Thanks!

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

It will have a weird texture if you freeze it.

174. Sarah says:

Hi Katie! Just thought you’d like to know that I made this last year for our annual healthy pot luck in our office. I honestly wasn’t sure if people liked it because no one full out raved about it. However, I just got the email for this years pot luck and almost every single person in my office requested this cake! Can you believe it?!? I couldn’t. I mean…this is coming from an office full of people who think Ranch dressing, bacon, and cheese on some lettuce make a salad. LOL!!! You have a winner of a recipe my friend! Thanks!

175. Amber says:

I just made this tonight, and I had some problems. This turned out way too moist. I used two 15.5 ounce cans of white beans (which is around 3 cups after draining the liquid, but way more than 500 grams — each can is 439 grams with liquid). I should have known it was too moist because the batter was a bit runny, but I wasn’t sure what the consistency of the “dough” should be. I baked it for around 1 hour but the middle is still like raw cookie dough.

It was pretty good, but had a very beany/nutty taste, and the texture was too wet.

The next time I make this, should I use one 15.5 ounce can of white beans instead? I liked the taste of the dough, so I want to try out your cookie dip recipe and I want to try this cookie pie again with the correct ratio.

176. Ashley says:

I love this recipe but want to know if I can use coconut sugar instead of brown sugar. Thanks!!

177. I was sooooooo suspicious about this recipe until I tried it. So damn good! Even my little sister who’s probably the most picky eater in this world approved them! Thank you so much for this recipe, I’m totally going to try more of your recipes ASAP!

178. Eva says:

I made this two days ago (and it was actually Pie Day that day! What a coincidence!) and I have no words left to say other than: Katie, you are a genius! This pie is soooo delicious and addictive (I ate three pieces in a row!) and I love that I don’t feel sick after eating it because it’s healthy! I’ll make it for a friend’s birthday this weekend and I think he’s going to love it! Thank you for always coming up with those awesome recipes!

179. Olivia says:

Don’t know what’s wrong with eggs 😛 but the chickpeas and oats instead of flour and butter are good

180. LF says:

Can I substitute all the oats for flax, or with anything else? I cant get GF oats in my area :(

181. Jen S. says:

I’ve made this a few times over the past couple of weeks for different events using cannelloni beans each time. The first was for a Pi Day party of which my cookie pie was on the table with several regular type pie’s. The children at the party devoured mine dessert first. After an hour or so I shared the main ingredient with them. It was a hit at a baby shower and a dinner party too. I plan to make this again for Passover later this week! Thanks for the awesome recipe Katie!

182. Tracy says:

Hi Katie, this looks great! Do you think I could sub more applesauce for the oil?

183. Austin says:

Can I use yogurt in place of applesauce or is applesauce required for structure other than as an oil/butter sub?

184. Olivia BumbleBee says:

I’m making this with only a cup of sugar total: 1/2 cup turbanado sugar and 1/2 cup coconut sugar. I was going to make a raw chocolate sauce to drizzle go on top, maple syrup, coconut oil and raw cacao powder, didn’t have the chips.

Its in the oven now. Eeeee, I hope it turns out!

185. Pia Paulsteiner says:

Does anyone know if you can sub beans for chickpeas?

186. Cindy says:

This is a WONDERFUL recipe!!!! I omitted the oil, substituted 2 tablespoons flax seed (ground) instead of the applesauce and it came out wonderfully!!!! I have made two batches now and my family has never caught on that it has beans in it!!! I was having trouble with the middle cooking so this last time I sprayed 9 muffin tins and put one tablespoon of batter in each to reduce the volume of the main pan and I will probably do that with 12 next time. But my cookbook software indicates that if this recipe makes 36 servings, then each serving has 88 calories, 1.8g of fiber and 1.9 g of protein. So much more fiber than if made with flour instead of beans. Super thanks for the wonderful recipe, I’ll be sharing this with everyone I know who lies to bake vegan. I’ll link it on my web site, too,

187. Between the amazing photos and overwhelming number of people who’ve tried and loved this pie, I will definitely be making this!! I love that it’s still a bit indulgent though with the chocolate chips 😉

188. paige says:

Just made this for my dad’s birthday! He is not vegan but it was a huge hit! Thanks!

189. Lucy says:

Katie, this pie is so far one of my favs! I did it several times, sometimes with a twist and always came out great. Even my family loved it :)

190. holly eaton says:

How can I make this recipe for deep-dish chocolate cookie as well as the crumble in peach crumble WITHOUT OATS? My diet is grain-free.

191. Lucy says:

My boyfriend is non-vegan and cookie dough is his favourite thing ever! Cookie dough pie, cookie dough ice cream, you name it. I made this for the first time and it was an absolute success!! So much so that he asked if he could have it for breakfast on Saturday morning :) we had it with Swedish glacé dairy free vanilla ice cream and melted dark choc for sauce. I will definitely be making this for EVERYBODY! Thanks so much x

192. jasellyn says:

Ok, I’m convinced! I just made this amazing cookie pie–and my husband STILL doesn’t know that there are beans in there! I used oat flour rather than oatmeal; used white beans; cut the brown sugar to a half cup of truvia/sugar brown sugar blend; and I used sugar free chocolate chips, so the calorie count was even lower…But even using those changes…THIS WAS FREAKIN AMAZING! Thanks so much for your great recipes! It’s so so so so nice to have dessert again while trying to lose a LOT of weight…just knowing I get a luscious after dinner treat makes portion control so much easier!

193. Jaqui says:

This pie is AMAZING!!!! I make it with agave and it is so delicious!!!!!!!

194. Robin says:

I just found this recipe and tried it a couple days ago. My husband has numerous food intolerances, and finding a dessert that meets those requirements is exciting! :) He and I both thought that the texture is something like a brownie, and the flavor is great. Even more pleasantly surprising is that somehow neither of us had any trouble with gas after eating it; beans are usually major offenders in that way. So thank you so much! We’re looking forward to trying the brownie variation on this soon!

195. Diana says:

Katie, really enjoy your recipes as I’m a vegan and a vegan sweet lover. Question: when a recipe calls for brown sugar is it packed brown sugar? Really need an answer before I try some of your recipes. Thanks much, Diana

1. Diana says:

I just commented on being a vegan and vegan sweet lover, but I’m also a bean pusher. I’m a PhD nutritionist, and from the point of view of nutrition, beans are one of the greatest foods people can eat. So I’m always triply excited when I find a recipe that is vegan, it’s sweets AND it’s made with beans. Wonderful! So please, please answer my question about whether the brown sugar in your recipes is packed brown sugar so I can make the Deep Dish Cookie Pie. Thank you Katie.

2. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Unless it says packed, it should just be measured and leveled off. Not loose, not packed down. :-)

196. linda says:

Hi Katie,
    The recipes in your email today, Top 10 Best Recipes, look awesome! Thank you!
    I notice you use white beans in your Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie. My doctor recently recommended I eat more black beans for their iron, and I wondered if I can substitute Black for White beans in recipes, with no adverse effect? Do you know what difference it would make in the outcome of a recipe in the taste or texture? Thank you! I really love your recipes! PS I bought coconut sugar and plan to try it as it is much lower glycemic.

197. Emma Edwards says:

Your recipes are awesome!!! They are so easy to make. I made this cookie pie today and found out that it makes great cookie dough too. I soaked and cooked the garbanzo beans myself so when I started to make the pie the beans were still warm. When I put the chocolate chips in they started to melt so I kind of made marble cookie pie or marble cookie dough. I am twelve years old and I love baking healthy desserts. This cookie pie is perfect for me. Thanks!

1. Theresa says:

LOL, I had the marble cake effect, too, because I didn’t let the batter cool after coming out of the blender.

198. This looks so delicious! What a great blog!

All the best, Bry

199. Theresa says:

I made this using 1 recipe of Katie’s 3 Ingredient Chocolate Bars (which I keep on hand in the fridge for baking) in place of the chocolate chips. The end product was not exactly “chocolate chip” since I forgot to let the batter cool after it came out of the blender and most my chips melted, turning my batter into a chocolate swirl; but still incredibly awesome. I also used a blender since my food processor is a small one. It took a bit of extra stirring to get it fully blended, but the blender worked OK for me. I also used Truvia baking blend cut with 1 TBS molasses for the brown sugar. This is definitely going to be one of my favorites and I can’t wait to try it made strictly with xylitol.

200. Melissa says:

Just wondering how much is “2 cans of garbanzos beans” in oz?

201. Lisa says:

Hi Katie, I am interested in trying this recipe as well as some of your other ones that require a food processor. What size food processor would you recommend? I am planning on buying one but don’t want to break the bank, as I am just starting out with all this baking stuff.

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

I’ve successfully made a lot of Katie’s recipes with a 7 cup Cuisinart.

202. Debbie says:

I just made this with white beans. It is so gooey yummy amazing! It was hard waiting the 10 minutes before I could take it out of the pan.

203. IC says:

Can you use non-canned beans (e.g., cooked beans)? I don’t have canned beans but I have dried beans I have been meaning/wanting to get rid of.

204. Sue says:

Thank you so much for this recipe, which I found linked elsewhere. It’s awesomely good! I’ve put my own variation of the method and quantities (metric) and one or two adaptations in the ingredients on my own blog now, with a link to this as the inspiration. Mine doesn’t look much like yours – there’s no appearance of crust on the top, which makes yours look very much like a giant cookie, and mine is darker (maybe because I use dark soft brown sugar?) but still. Utterly wonderful.

205. Mia says:

Hi Katie, why can you not use a blender for this recipe to blend things? Thanks!

206. charfarr says:

I have this baking right now. I added vanilla protein powder and baked half and made the other half into protein bites. The dough is yummy raw..can’t wait to taste the baked pie!

207. Cat says:

WOW! This was so amazing!!! It’s one of those healthy things that doesn’t taste healthy in the least (my favorite kind, lol)! You are a genius, Katie. A complete and total genius.

208. Andy says:

I had leftover cooked beans so I experimented with this recipe. I made half the recipe and placed it in a greased muffin pan to make 12 mini cupcakes and baked at 350 for 15 minutes. They tasted good despite that they didn’t hold up very well. They were also a little too sweet so I would recommend reducing the sugar next time.

Next I halved the recipe using half black beans and garbanzo beans and added 1/4 cup of cocoa powder and cooked as above. Not only did they hold up their shape, but they tasted very good. Almost like mini brownies. Still would like to try to reduce the sugar content though.

209. Paula says:

Hi — I haven’t checked your website for a while. I just recommended the Deep Dish Chocolate Pie to someone. Why do you have an ad for dairy at the top? I’m surprised.

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Katie doesn’t choose which ones run on her site. They come from a third party, SheKnows.

210. Andy says:

I just experimented with this recipe again and the results were great! I started with the original recipe but did half black beans and half chickpeas, added 1/4 cup cocoa powder, eliminated the oil, replaced the brown sugar with 1 cup coconut sugar, added 2 TBS of maple syrup and 1 tsp molasses, and reduced the chocolate chips to 1/2 cup. I scoped them out with a tablespoon sized cookie scoop onto baking sheets and baked them at 350 degrees for about 12 minutes. It made just over 2 dozen cookies. They were like little brownie cookies that were slightly sweet without being extremely sweet. The only thing was that the cookies pretty much stayed in the ball shape and didn’t flatten out. Might try either eliminate the baking powder or smoosh the cookies down before baking.

211. Kelly says:

I made this in my vita mix using the tamper and it worked good.
    Would be a nice reminder if at the bottom of your chickpea recipes there is a link to your marshmallow fluff recipe so people don’t forget and throw out the chickpea liquid.

212. Jeanine says:

My family loves this amazingly delicious cookie pie!! I love that I can have something that feels sinful when I’m trying to be good and I also love that my kids eat it (lots of it!) and I don’t feel guilty letting them. I’ve recently discovered Truvia brown sugar baking blend and that is my new favorite sugar of choice for this recipe. I was thinking of making this exact recipe into bars instead for a party for ease of having smaller servings. Do you think I need to adjust the baking time or temp if doing this in a 9×13 pan? Also wondering if anyone has ever added cocoa powder to this recipe to perhaps make a double chocolate cookie pie? I’m not as big of a fan of all chocolate but was thinking my chocoholic kids might love that.

213. Rachel Y. says:

I went to the grocery tonight just for quick oats and applesauce so I could make this and it did not disappoint! I almost added more vanilla or some PB2 when I tasted the dough (no raw eggs!) and it still tasted a little like white beans, but my husband convinced me to follow the recipe exactly as written on the first try and it turned out delicious.

214. lauren says:

I had to start eating gluten and dairy free about two years ago for medical purposes, which seriously constrained my ability to indulge my (giant) sweet tooth. The upside of this was weightloss and reduced sugar intake.

This recipe might change all that.

I won’t be making it again for a while… because I ate the entire thing BY MYSELF in less than 24 hours.

Tasted 100% like the real thing.

215. Avigail says:

This is crazy yummy. I made half the recipe and used coconut sugar – but yes, I agree, a bit too sweet for me. HOWEVER – an important question! I am wondering if it’s possible to make what’s leftover into regular cookies – and if so, at what temp/how long? Thank you!!!

216. emily says:

could I use honey or agave nectar to replace the brown sugar… or a least be able to cut down on the brown sugar using like half a cup of honey and a half cup of brown sugar??

217. Katrina says:

Tastes great. I like to substitute peanut butter for the oil (it covers that teeny bit of residual chickpea taste). But today while baking for a nut allergy, I discovered a possibly better tweak! Added 3 Tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa to the mix. Absolutely awesome! (My kids are always skeptical about this recipe, but like it despite themselves!)

218. Phil & Pam says:

This was a hit with small group Bible Study. Incredibly rich and chocolaty. We love you cook book as well. Thanks again!

219. Julie says:

Hi Katie!
    I am so excited to try this recipe but I don’t have any brown or coconut sugar, could I use maple syrup instead?

Thank you for all that you do with these recipes!

220. Micky says:

Hello Katie :)!

I made this AMAZING cookie pie last night and served it to my brother and Dad, who are always wary when I give them dessert (because they are so NOT into healthy foods, and I so am ;b) But this one, they didn’t even question. They LOVED it, and it was actually too rich and chocolatey for them! I didn’t tell them they were secretly eating a big pile of beans , which was kinda the best part. Thank you Katie for making this recipe and sharing it with us. I have now made two of your recipes, the first being your peanut butter cookies. Both amazing, both obsession worthy :).