Deep-Dish Cookie Pie

What is even better than a warm chocolate chip cookie?

The secretly healthy recipe – with over 1,600 positive reader reviews. Everyone loves this pie! If you’ve never tried the recipe, it is highly recommended. Full recipe: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2011/05/31/deep-dish-cookie-pie/

If you answered, “Katie, nothing is better than a warm chocolate chip cookie,” you’ve obviously never met a chocolate chip cookie pie… especially not when it is topped with my favorite egg-free healthy ice cream recipe.

I could sit here and tell you about how I was in charge of dessert for our neighborhood Memorial Day party. I could tell you about my desire to wow the neighbors with a sinful-tasting finale and then surprise shock them by revealing said sinful dessert was really not so sinful after all. I could tell you how this desire became reality when my dessert was the hit of the party, with everyone raving about it and one neighbor even hiring me to make a pie for her husband’s birthday in June.

But really, you don’t want to know all of this, do you? You just want the recipe.

deep dish cookie pie

Side note: If you make 1/4 of the recipe, you can put it in a mini springform pan for a baby pie like the one above. And if you make a half recipe in a shallow pan, you can have a healthy cookie cake like the ones at the Great American Cookie Co in the mall.

The secretly healthy recipe – with over 1,600 positive reader reviews. If you haven't tried the recipe yet, it's highly recommended! Full recipe: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2011/05/31/deep-dish-cookie-pie/

Deep Dish Cookie Pie

• 2 cans white beans or garbanzos (drained and rinsed) (500g total, once drained)
  • 1 cup quick oats (or certified-gf quick oats)
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 3 tbsp oil (canola, veg, or coconut)
  • 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 and 1/2 cups brown sugar (click for a Sugar-Free Deep Dish Cookie Pie)
  • 1 cup chocolate chips

Blend everything (except the chips) very well in a good food processor (not a blender). Mix in chips, and pour into an oiled pan (I used a 10-inch springform pan, but you can use a smaller pan if you want a really deep-dish pie.) Cook at 350F for around 35-40 minutes. Let stand at least 10 minutes before removing from the pan. (Some commenters have had success with a blender, but I did not. Try that at your own risk, and know the results will be better in a high-quality food processor such as a Cuisinart.)

I haven’t calculated the calories for this recipe, but a few of the commenters did. According to their calculations, the pie will have around 200 calories per slice, as opposed to 700 in a slice of traditional deep-dish cookie pie.

EDIT: Full nutrition facts for this recipe are now available in the Chocolate-Covered Katie Cookbook on page 139.

chocolate chip cookie pie

Perhaps calling it “healthy” is a stretch. After all, there’s still sugar, and there are still chocolate chips. But in comparison to your standard cookie pie—with its plethora of butter, eggs, and white flour—the above version is a much healthier alternative, while still tasting just as naughty. Plus, you get lots of fiber and protein from the oats and chickpeas.

And I promise no one can tell that these ingredients are in there. (Need proof? Just read all of the comments on this post!) This chocolate pie is a real crowd-pleaser, even with people who aren’t used to eating healthy desserts. Imagine cookie dough in the form of a pie.

Get FREE healthy dessert recipes delivered to your inbox

The easiest way to never miss a recipe! :)

Tags: , , , , ,

1. That looks fantastic—I need to find an excuse to make one, ASAP!

1. Caitlin says:

Heere’s a good excuse for ya: “I need to eat dinner, and this has beans and grains…
      No? Not a good excuse? Darn, I wanted to use it as my own excuse ;).

2. Veronica says:

For some reason, I have not been tempted to try your cookies & blondies made with chickpeas until now. How can I resist this cookie pie?! You’ve beaten me into submission and I couldn’t be happier about it. Have you tried using northern white beans in place of garbanzo? I would think any white bean would work, don’t you?

1. Yup! I actually wrote white beans right into the recipe. I’ve tried it with great northern once, and 1/2 garbanzo-1/2 great northern once. Both worked well!

1. Rose says:

Hi, can you use butter beans?

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Of course.

3. Lenna says:

OMG now THAT´s a recipe! You are master of desserts! But I think you already knew it :))

4. Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn says:

Ohhhhh my sweet goodness. Babydoll I just found my Senior Skip Day activity!

5. Oh my, does that ever look good. I’m still so scared of the chickpeas though :( But I tried dessert hummus, so it’s not that far of a stretch right? Hmm.. I’m still working on convincing myself, but it looks amazing!

1. Maybe you’re braver than me… I could never get myself to try dessert hummus. The name, alone, threw me off. I felt like, if I tried it, I’d be thinking of savory hummus with every spoonful!

6. I am in LOVE with all these desserts with hidden garbanzos that you are coming up with!

Could I make this pie into chocolate chip cookies, though?

1. Sure! You could just bake it like the blondies, too. I’m also thinking of trying muffins!

7. Holly @ The Runny Egg says:

This looks delicious Katie! I love how it looks undercooked and super gooey in the middle. Perfect!

8. Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free says:

My goodness gracious, Katie!!! I want to make this soooo badly!!! But…..it has so much sugar in it! Ugh, I have to figure out a way to make it without….Any ideas? Maybe some dates would do the trick?

1. I like the blondies with stevia, so I’m sure this recipe would work with stevia as well!

2. Claudia says:

Alex, I made this with 1 1/4 c of sugar and it was way too much for me (and I love sweet things). I think you could easily get away with less sugar! Also I think you could replace 1/2 the chocolate with dried cranberries or pistachios or something if you want to cut the sugar out there. It is a great recipe though and you should try it!!

1. If Alex or Katie or anyone ever makes this without sugar let me know how it tastes! And if I get a moment and give into temptation and try to make it myself without sugar I will definitely also report back :).

1. Melissa says:

I make this all the time. I halve the recipe (because we eat the whole pie, the two of us, and I don’t want us to get TOO fluffy. LOL.) and use about 3 tbs of stevia baking blend. That’s about 3 tbs of sugar sweetness. And it’s perfect, IMO. Not too sweet, the little chocolate chips add dots of sweeter bits to some bites. OMNOMNOM.

Doing a full batch I’d bet you could get away with 6 tbs of sugar or even just 1/3 c (which is a little shy of 6 tbs). If you like stevia, the NuNaturals baking blend is awesome in this!

1. Hi,

I too would like to try a smaller version this recipe. When you halve it, what size pan do you bake it in please?

Thanks!

2. sarah caroline says:

That is a good question. I think I would stick with the 10-inch and maybe freeze the rest, if it would freeze OK. Or maybe one of the silicone things for cupcakes? I just can’t think of what I have that would still give it that “deep dish” texture.

3. audrey says:

When I halved it I used ramekins (those little souffle size cups) and by the way I only used 1/4 cup brown sugar when i halved it and it was plenty. They’re in the oven now, i’m trying for 10-15 minutes

2. Courtney says:

Not sure if you ever ending up trying it but I just made it with a cup of stevia baking blend and a half a cup of brown sugar and it is absolutely amazing! I think I could even cut back on the amount of chocolate chips to 1/2 to 3/4 cup and it would still be great

2. Anonymous says:

I made it tonight for Valentine`s, very yummy but a little bit too sweet for me …the kids loved it (and so did my husband)…you can easily cut the sugar. I will definetly remake it but with a lot less sugar…

3. Judy says:

I know this is a late comment but I can attest to the success of using dates as sweetener in this recipe! I just made Katie’s chocolate chip blondies and replaced the 3/4 of a cup of brown sugar with 1/4 of a cup pressed dates. Honestly no difference–SO DELICIOUS. Do it!

9. AJ says:

Hi Katie!
    Recently stumbled upon your blog and am loving all of your sweet concoctions I have made so far! It’s like you are my food twin – I use chickpeas all of the time when baking, am OBSESSED with all things coconut (have you tried coconut sugar to sweeten treats?), and don’t even get me started on oatmeal, etc… haha! I have some food sensitivities / allergies, though, and cannot eat bananas (so sad, I know) nor peanuts. Any ideas on what I can use instead of banana for your recipes and for the melted banana trick? Mashed-up pineapple perhaps? I have been putting mashed-up berries in my oats since I was a kid and that is quite tasty!
    Keep up the chocolate-covered-creativity!

1. I’ve not tried coconut sugar! Bet I’d like it… since it’s from coconut :).

As for bananas, it depends on the recipe. Let me know if there’s a particular one you’d want to make banana-less ;).

1. AJ says:

Hi! I’d really like to de-banana your fudge, the raw chocolate fudge cake, carrot cake (my fav!) in a bowl, ice-cream and milkshakes (omg – spinach! and carrot cake!). I would really appreciate any ideas you have :)

By the way, I made this cookie pie for three of my friends last night and, between the four of us, we ate the ENTIRE thing — they couldn’t get enough! Amazing.

1. Raw chocolate fudge cake: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2011/03/07/you-gotta-try-this/

(That works for the fudge too. Or you can sub peanut butter for the raspberries, or even blueberries or strawberries. Use the same amount as the raspberries.)
          As for the other recipes, maybe try mango or pineapple in the carrot bowl. And either of those, or cherries or frozen pear for the other recipes. And let me know whatcha think!

1. AJ says:

Thank you, Katie! Can’t wait to experiment — I’ll let you know how everything turns out :)

10. Dawn @ Blonde on a Mission says:

I cannot keep up with all of these mouth watering recipes! I have the blondies on my list of things to bake, now I definitely need to add this! It looks like….warm….ooey gooey cookie dough. People would definitely not believe this is healthy and that’s why I love recipes like this!

11. Kristie says:

I seriously wish I had some special occasion coming up like…tomorrow so that I could make this and bring. Because otherwise I’d just make it and eat it all myself. Guaranteed. That being said, it’s being saved as soon as this comment is finished. And It’s being made as soon as, well, any good reason to make luscious healthified baked goods pops up!

12. Averie (LoveVeggiesandYoga) says:

Omg that looks soooo good!

I am doing a post about beans in desserts and probably publishing it tomorrow. Already have your blondies linked in it. My issue is that i am SCARED to put beans in desserts. I dont want to “ruin” the dessert with beans. I love beans…just so unsure of them in desserts but I swear, if anything has me convinced it’s THIS picture of that warm, gooey, ooey deep dish cookie. Omg I hope you submitted that.

Everyone should be drooling over it :)

1. LOL oh but Averie, you put all sorts of fun secrets in your desserts… what about avocado mousse? 😉

Definitely give bean blondies a go, or this cake! I am telling you, everyone at the party was raving about it BEFORE they knew it was healthy. Those are the best kinds of desserts; the ones where you don’t even realize they’re semi-good for you!

(Oh, and I am going to submit the first photo… but even if they don’t take it, it’s still one of my favorites! :))

2. sarah caroline says:

I think the beans will be great, I use a lot of lentils and they are so great at being un-obtrusive, I think the beans will be super. And I feel dumb since you have all probably made this already :)

13. Gen says:

That pie looks amazing!!!! Great recipe, Katie! 😀

14. I love that this is made with beans!! So it really IS healthy. I’m printing off the recipe now. :-)

15. birdie to be says:

YUM! I really want to make a dessert out of chickpeas. There are so many options out there! This one looks great!!!

16. Oh my gosh. I LOVE YOUR RECIPES!!!! Deep dish is so much better than reg. :)

17. WOW this looks delicious, Katie! I have chickpeas and I can’t wait to use them on one of your desserts…just have to decide which one now.

Quick question — what kind of chocolate chips do you use/recommend if we want to use vegan chocolate chips? I have enjoy life chips, but I was wondering what kind you use. Thanks, fellow Texas girl!

1. I’ve used all sorts of different ones. For me, I often just use 100% ghirardelli discs. But I often use Whole Foods brand, Enjoy Life, and apparently even some Ghirardelli semi-sweet chips are vegan! :)
      Oh, and you can always crumble a chocolate BAR into chips, if you want, say, chocolate raspberry chips ;).

18. Annamaria says:

I LITERALLY MADE THESE THE SECOND I SAW THIS POST.
    AMAZING when eaten straight out of the oven, still warm, oozing chocolate everywhere!!!! you don’t even taste the beans. GOOD THING I ONLY MADE 1/4 OF THE RECIPE. cuz i ate half the pie already.
    I used chickpeas, 1/4 c. sucanat and 1.4 c. light brown sugar, fage greek yogurt instead of applesauce, and olive instead of canola oil (all i had) and even with less sugar you can’t even tell! the chocolate just takes over!!! (i used ghiradelli semi sweet chocolate chips).

SOOOOOOGOOOOOOOOODDDD!!!!!!!!!!

19. Now that looks insanely good! I have a family party coming up and I think I could try making mini cupcake versions of these, wow!

20. NO! I can’t believe there are chickpeas in here! It looks exactly like the storebought cookie pies but wayyyy better! Bookmarking this recipe right now! Mmmmmmm…. 😀