Cake Batter Ice Cream

Side note:

Thanks to everyone who now follows the Chocolate-Covered Katie Pinterest Page.

You all are the best. Thank you!!

Ingredients: 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract, 1 tbsp sprinkles, 1 cup... http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2011/06/22/cake-batter-ice-cream/ @choccoveredkt

Magic Fairy Dust!

I had the privilege of babysitting two adorable little girls last night, and I brought my Vitamix.

As a teenager, I didn’t really like babysitting, even though do I love children. It’s just… after a while, I get to a point where I never want to see another Barbie or play the role of the daddy in “House,” can’t stand the show, Dragon Tales, and wish the kids would just go to bed already. (Now I am very sorry for being such a devil-child to my own babysitters, never going to sleep for them!)

That being said, I had the rare opportunity (rare because I pretty much stopped babysitting after high school) to babysit for these little angels last night and *gasp* actually found myself having a ton of fun! Maybe it helped that no one made me play the daddy!

I got the cake batter ice cream (or birthday cake ice cream) idea from my popular Single Serving Cake Batter Milkshake.

And last night seemed like a perfect opportunity to try it out, since kids love sprinkles. Plus, kids seem to really love blending things. In any case, it beat watching Dexter’s Laboratory.

cake batter ice cream

funfetti ice cream http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2011/06/22/cake-batter-ice-cream/

The girls adored the cake batter ice cream, which we called “Fairy Dust Ice Cream.”

pin-it

Cake Batter Ice Cream

(Makes 1 huge serving)

• 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • scant 1/16 tsp salt (don’t omit)
  • pinch uncut stevia OR 2 tbsp sugar of choice
  • 1/2 tbsp sprinkles or homemade sprinkles
  • 1 cup canned coconut milk, nondairy creamer, almond milk, or a combination
  • If you want it to taste more like cake batter, add 2 tbsp coconut butter. You can also add 1/4 tsp butter extract, which is surprisingly vegan.

For a creamy ice-cream-like texture, use at least 1/2 cup full-fat canned coconut milk or nondairy creamer as opposed to all almond milk. You can, of course, sub other milks for the almond. But if you do this, play around with the amount of vanilla extract, sweetener, and add-ins. For example, an already-sweetened milk will probably need less added sweetener. RECIPE: Mix the ingredients together, then pour into an ice cube tray or 1 or 2 shallow plastic containers. Freeze. Once frozen, pop the blocks out and blend in your vitamix. (If you don’t have a vitamix, you’ll probably have to thaw the ice blocks longer, but you can still get a yummy ice milk in a food processor.)

View Cake Batter Ice Cream Nutrition Facts

birthday cake ice cream

Did you ever babysit?

When I babysat, the kids often wanted to just watch tv, which made my job easy, but boring. And some of the shows were awful! Cow and Chicken, Ed Edd and Eddy, Lizzie McGuire, SpongeBob… (Ok, so I secretly liked SpongeBob.) Were you good about going to bed for your own babysitters? I was not. But these sweeties were incredibly good! I’m already looking forward to spending time with them again.

Our next project: these Cake Batter Doughnuts.

Or, as the girls would say, fairy dust doughnuts!

Tags: , , , , ,

1. I bet you are now their FAVORITE sitter! I don’t baby site… my sisters and I were so bad growing up that I’m scared it would be some terrible payback! LOL!

2. Awww Fairy Dust Ice Cream?! So sweet!! More importantly, so YUMMY!! I’m planning on making this later this week yaaaay!! 😀

I was good for my babysitter, because she bribed me with chocolate! She definitely knew the way to my heart 😉

1. Wha? I want your babysitter! Who is she? Can you give me her phone number so I can stalk her? 😉

1. Haha YOU are clearly the best babysitter ever!! Cake batter ice cream and funfetti blondies?! Uh, can you babysit ME please?! 😉

3. Looks so delicious! I tried the ice-cream yesterday with some chocolate paste and used a blender. It turned out like an ice slushie but delicious anyway! 😀

4. krickit6 says:

Katie, can I just say: I cannot imagine YOU being a devil-child!! :-) This ice cream looks incredible, too.. My goodness, I.NEED.A.VITA-MIX!! :-)

Thanks! :-)

5. Lisa Fine says:

Such a fun idea to make with kids. I love cooking with kids – and I love that they always seem to enjoy whatever they’ve made, including vegetables!

I used to babysit quite a lot, since I worked at a day camp and was able to sit for many families. It was always a great way to earn extra money, and it was usually a lot of fun. There weren’t many kids I babysat for who just wanted to watch tv, luckily.

6. Jennifer JCD says:

I had to read this post twice because I didn’t believe what I was reading… Fairy Dust Ice Cream!! Wow! I think you made my day.

I babysit a lot when I was a teenager, mostly as a nanny for the neighbour kids after school and in the summers. It was lots of fun, but once I reached university, and the neighbour kids were in junior high, it tapered off because the kids didn’t need me any more. :( It was fun while it lasted, and the kids I babysat never had Barbies or played ‘house’ much… they were more into dinosaurs, playing in the park, and building forts with blankets and chairs.

7. kate says:

im making this right now ahhhhh

8. That is a BEAUTY! I love sprinkles!

9. Kayla says:

This looks amazing! Katie, are you REALLY blending the ice cubes in the Vitamix, because your icecream just looks so perfect! What are you doing? When I blend icecream cubes in the Vitamix the icecream never comes out so perfect looking! It’s more of a slushy, yet delicious, mess!

I love how they butter extract is vegan. Haha, now what does that tell you? :)

10. Erin says:

I love the name. Added it to my funfetti recipe round-up post!

1. Aww thanks Erin! I love your funfetti round up. It’s awesome and so comprehensive!

11. Katy sparrow says:

Aw, you’re such a sweet babysitter! Bringing over the blender and everything! I know those little girls are talking about you nonstop.

I babysat for several sweet kids on the beach where I lived while I was in college this past year..the little boy that I watched 3 times a week was such a great kid..we had lemonade stands with organic lemonade and vegan cookies sometimes and he saving the money to donate to Adopt an Angel, an animal adoption charity..And at bedtime I would sing him jack johnson songs until he fell asleep. Gah I miss him!

When babysitters would come over, I would first off run and hide and later I would cry a little if they beat me at the Memory game. Hhaha

12. tea-bag says:

i never baby sat – everyone knows i hate kids & i once accidentally dropped a baby. yeah, true story. don’t let me watch your kids! i might add some nyquil to this ice cream, though, and then i’d for sure baby sit them! jk! … :)

13. What a great idea! It is colorful and perfect for kids.
    I love my Vita-Mix… and as a kid my dad would take me to the Texas State Fair where we’d watch the VM demo. How funny is that?!? I loved it.

1. Ah the Texas state fair… I didn’t know they allowed healthy-living products such as Vita-Mixes in there ;). Well, unless they were blending deep-fried twinkies? LOL last year I heard they had deep-fried Coke! Not sure how that would work…

1. Check this out: http://texasstateveggiefair.com/

While the traditional state fair is funnel cakes and hot dogs, there is a Texas State Veggie Fair, which is very progressive. Though the VM demo was at the old fashioned fair.

14. LizAshlee says:

YUMMMMMMmmmmm!! I am going to make it a point today to get an ice cube tray!! Recipe sounds delicious..as usual!:)

I haven’t babysat recently but I use to quite a bit before I start my current position. It was a great job to have through grad school and the kids were adorable! Adorable and also difficult at times, but I have always loved working with children!

Love that you took the vita-mix with you! I always packed snacks… :) and made a point to make the kiddos cookies or brownies while I was watching them and let them help with the mixing and pouring ingredients…so fun!

Have a perfect day!

1. You actually don’t need an ice-cube tray… I just use a few shallow bowls. I have an ice-cube tray somewhere, but I can’t find it!

15. I love everything about this recipe! You are most likely (if you weren’t already) now those girls favorite babysitter :-) I love the name too – how perfect for the children!

I didn’t babysit that much but I’m going home in July to Omaha and have already offered to babysit for my best friend’s ADORABLE 1 year old boy. I cannot wait!

16. This is AMAZING. and yes i was good to my babysitters. We never cooked/baked together!! what a great idea,… i am stealing it :)

17. Michaela says:

Seriously? I was only looking up the Cake Batter Milkshake recipe last night and now you came up with c.b. ice cream!! I love it! I wish I had a babysitter who brought their vitamix (!) and made us ice cream (!) with sprinkles (!).
    I do love babysitting and I have been doing it for ages! Also, I have been an aupair twice :) But I certainly didn´t like having someone babysit ME! All I wanted was my mummy and I rarely went to bed when she wasn´t there 😉

18. I babysat all through college. The family I worked with ended up being MY second family and I am still very close to them three years after graduating! I worked in the husbands law firm through college too – and just recently went to the bar mitvah of the oldest boy. It is awesome watching them grow!

I rarely ever got babysat..because I would CRY the WHOLE time.. because I wanted my mom!

19. I wish I had YOU as my babysitter when I was younger!!! Those girls are so lucky to be able to enjoy your awesome kitchen creations. You seriously amaze me with everything you make…so much creativity and nothing but pure healthy REAL ingredients. I love it..and you! :)

20. Alyssa says:

My kids would LOVE you!!!!!!!
    I was good for my babysitter. But I did often ask a lot of inappropriate questions, to which she replied “Ask your parents. PLEASE ask your parents!”