Sign up for NEW free healthy recipes - Currently over 300,000 subscribers!

Chocolate “Banana Split” Butter

It’s like a banana split in a jar.

banana split sauce

Crazy Nut Butter Flavors

I once posted a recipe for Pumpkin Pie Peanut Butter.

At the end of that post, I asked for your nut butter flavor ideas. One reader (hi Kara!) went crazy with the question, offering all sorts of fun flavor ideas, from carrot cake to butterscotch to Thin Mint. She also suggested Neapolitan peanut butter, and that made me think of banana splits.

chocolate banana butter

banana split sauce 1

This chocolatey spread is absolutely delicious!!

Chocolate Banana-Split Butter

(gluten free!)

• 4 tablespoons nut butter (I used peanut)
  • 1/2 a large, very-ripe banana (100g)
  • 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
  • pinch of salt

Mash or blend everything together. (I used a Magic Bullet. If you have a large food processor, you might want to double the recipe for smoother blending.) Optional, for a caramelized taste: I like to melt the banana in the microwave for a few seconds, prior to adding other ingredients.

Stored in the fridge, it will last a couple days, but don’t ask me if it lasts any longer. I’ve never kept it around long enough to find out!

Calories per tbsp: about 40 calories (As a reference, regular peanut butter has about 100 calories per tbsp.)

vegan banana split sundae

Let’s just say, it wasn’t exactly the most-fun photoshoot to clean up…

Question of the Day:

Anyone have ideas for ways to eat this?

Mmmm, try layering it between Healthy Chocolate-Chip Cookies.

Or spread it on toast for a banana-split sandwich! I must admit, though, that my favorite way to eat this spread is straight from the blender. The Magic Bullet blades and my tongue have become very good friends. Oh yes; very good friends indeed.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

1. Wow that looks amazing and those pictures are GORGEOUS!!!

1. Yvonne says:

As for the 100g of bananas, does it measure with or without skin?

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

2. Heavenly! ….Your reader gave you all sorts of inspiration! Mmmmm! <3 And, I don't feel sorry for you having to clean up this photo shoot, All those drips look simply yummy!

1. That’s exactly what I thought, too! 😉

3. Sarah says:

Mmmmm… would love this on a warm just-fom-the-oven muffin. Or maybe on banana bread. Or between two slices of banana bread. Oh, let’s swirl it in some vanilla ice cream. And put it on french toast, pancakes, and waffles. FYI: I was the only one to get the Creativeness Award in kindergarten- and the Finally Learned To Chew Without Letting Civilized People See The Remains Of Her Nutella Sandwich Award, oh and did i mention the Blabbermouth of the Year award? I get that one every year- obviously 🙂
    P.S.- did ya already announce the chocolate bar winner? Just wonderin’

1. Yes ma’am :).
      It’s updated on the giveaway page.

1. Sarah says:

4. Definitely in oatmeal,as a pancake topping and in a sandwich of course!! Gorgeous pictures by the way!! 😀

5. The question should be any ideas on how NOT to eat this. I love nut butter concoctions!

6. Molly says:

Yum, Katie! I don’t know by sight, so forgive me – what’s the white icing used on top of the butter?

1. Oh lol, that was just for the photoshoot. There’s no icing needed for the recipe :).

1. Molly says:

Any chance of getting the recipe anyway? Maybe not *needed* for the recipe, but *wanted*??? 😉

1. Sarah says:

make that *wanted* by two people. But for me it’s *NEEDED* probably cuz im sure Molly is much more mature that this teen is 🙂

1. Oh but it’s not a frosting recipe, it’s just my coconut cool whip in the photo.

2. Sarah says:

its JUST your coconut cool whip? Oh boy, that’s almost BETTER than frosting! Yummy in mah tummy- You are one crazy lady Katie 🙂

7. Christine says:

Hey Katie, I have just recently stumbled across your site and I LOVE it! You’re recipes are so good and the best part about it they are all good for you! I have searched high and low to find creative ways to eat delicious food without sacrificing portion and taste and you have done it. I made your ice cream and it was awesome plus the voluminous oat trick even had my husband not believing me lol. thanks for the great recipe ideas I’ll be back to try more.

1. Aww thanks, Christine! I am so happy you found me!! 🙂

8. Alexa says:

No new cookie recipe today 🙁 🙁 🙁 so sad 🙁

1. Anonymous says:

Wow Alexa, talk about rude!

1. Alexa says:

Totally not rude, she said yesterday…or on the greek yogurt post tomorrow I’m thinking cookies. Got my hopes up man, I was feeling like baking cookies. Her chocolate banana butter recipe is good, along with all her other recipes…But unfortunately I am sans bananas in the house..therefore can’t try out the recipe 🙁

9. So creative, this looks fabulous! My initial thought was definitely just eat it out the bowl! It looks so rich and fudgy. But I think in between cookies or graham crackers would be AWESOME.

10. OMG heaven in a jar. Yummmmooo Katie! And the pics are gorge. Feed me!

11. Just your tweet made me drool. I had to come check it out. Now I’m just trying take my spoon thru the screen. Looks amazing! I agree with Arielle, ‘heaven in a jar’. Thank you that. 🙂

12. Oh Kaite- you have my hooked on your butter recipes. I tried your microwaving the banan trick and it didn’t caramelize. Am I doing something wrong? It got soft and watery, but not gooey. How long should I microwave? Your pics are just darn fabulous!
    PS- I REALLY hope you win the Foodbuzz blog award. Yours is the BEST! 🙂

1. Microwaving gives it a caramelized TASTE. It makes the banana flavor pop. It’s not a texture thing; just the taste.

And thank you so so much. I seriously doubt I’ll win (Joy the Baker was in Forbes Magazine! LOL she’s amazing!)… but I really feel like I won just from reading all the comments when I blogged about it. My favorite part of blogging is how NICE everyone is–including you!!

13. that looks super delicious! I bet it’s excellent on pancakes! I’ll have to try that 😉

14. This looks absolutely amazing!

15. Awesome shots of this- I’m surprised this recipe hasn’t already come out of your kitchen, it has CCK written all over it! I bet this would taste great spread on a sweet potato- I love sweet potatoes and nut butters of all kinds.

16. Robin says:

This looks to delicious to not make right this minute (even though I should be cooking supper instead). On oatmeal please, and on bananas, and in rice pudding, and straight up from a jar, and warmed up on ice-cream, and.. Oh, the possibilities are endless.

17. AHmazing! Love this! You seriously are soo creative 🙂

18. That’s so pretty! I always think anything presented in a jam or mason jar is instantly cuter! Love it :).

19. Gen says:

Yum!! Need to make this soon!

20. Ohh what a fun idea for nut butter! This sounds like it would be a delicious substitute for my usual peanut butter on wheat bread to start my morning! And your pictures look fantastic! I love the white frosting/sprinkles!