Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Secret Vegan Peanut Butter Cookies

What’s better than a vegan peanut butter cookie?

peanut butter cookies

How about a whole stack of vegan peanut butter cookies? Mmm yes, that’s better. Much better.

If you’d really rather just have one, see this recipe: Single Serving Peanut Butter Cookie.

vegan peanut butter cookies

I’ve been a vegan over ten years, which is also how long I’ve been making these vegan peanut butter cookies—my foray into the world of vegan baking. When I first went vegan, I was clueless about how to replace eggs in a cookie. Many of the recipes I found online contained a product called Energ Egg Replacer… but I was living in China and therefore couldn’t buy such a thing. So—out of necessity—I experimented to make up my own recipe.

I’ll never forget how proud I was the first time I brought these healthy cookies to a pool party. Everyone raved about them, and I loved seeing their surprised faces upon hearing the secret: these cookies were vegan! Yes, vegan peanut butter cookies that didn’t taste vegan! (Ten years ago, veganism was much less mainstream than it is today.)

The vegan peanut butter cookie recipe has another secret: applesauce! It makes these cookies so soft.

Melt-in-your-mouth soft.

Print This Recipe No ratings yet.

• 1/2 cup peanut butter, or almond or sunbutter (I like Whole Foods 365 brand, with salt)
  • 3/4 tsp baking soda
  • 3 tbsp flour (whole-wheat pastry, all-purpose white, spelt, Bob's gf mix all work)
  • 1/4 cup sugar or evaporated cane juice (for sugar-free cookies, see below link)
  • 2 tbsp brown sugar or coconut sugar
  • 2 tbsp applesauce
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • optional: tiny pinch salt (around 1/16 tsp) (Taste dough to decide - I like to add it.)
Total Time: 8m
Yield: 12-16 cookies

Mix dry ingredients very well. Then add wet and form cookie balls. If you want soft cookies, fridge the dough for at least an hour. Then bake in a preheated oven (350F) for 8 minutes. They’ll look underdone when you take them out, but that’s ok. Let cool for at least 5 minutes before removing from tray.

See the following link for: *Sugar Free Peanut Butter Cookies*

To keep these cookies soft, store leftover cookies in a plastic container. This recipe will make about 12-16 cookies, depending on how big you roll them. (For 16 cookies, they’ll have 65 calories per cookie.)

vegan peanut butter cookies

Have you ever made vegan cookies?

Or have you ever made any vegan dessert? The best part about vegan peanut butter cookies is the lack of raw egg in the batter. So no one can stop you from eating as much cookie dough as you want!

For more peanut butter recipes: 50+ Healthy Peanut Butter Recipes.

Tags: , , ,

1. Olivia says:

Omgg those cookies look amazing! will be making them today for sure (:

1. Michelle says:

Just a tip after decades of baking. In general, peanut butter, banana, and applesauce recipes tend to do ok without eggs, as these ingredients often act as sticky binders to hold ingredients together (the applesauce, not as much). Applesauce when added to cookies, tend to take away the crunch, and create a more cake-like cookie. For serious cookie lovers, this may be disappointing. If you try this recipe, you might want to “half” it – to see if you like the texture. I personally prefer PB cookies that have a texture more like a shortbread cookie, but that’s me, and cookies are my number one obsession in life. Very picky. Saying that, I am still going to make these out of sheer curiosity.
      As to this website blog…..absolutely superb Katie! I am without words at your talent, creativity, and imagination. You are a very very talented lady. Thank you!

1. Sarah says:

thanks for this.. Me and my bf are avoiding eggs due to mild-ish allergies and we sure miss them, especially when it comes to baked goods. I have yet to try applesauce as a replacement.

2. Sara says:

Do you know how to make crunchy vegan cookies without vegan bugger or tons of added sugar? I’m trying to make a crispy PB cookie (like shortbread) but they all turn out cake-like.

2. Sounds so good! Quick question: Do you think it would be possible to scale back on the applesauce and use a date paste to make these sugar free?

Either way, I am totally making these!!!!

1. No clue, but if you try it I’d love to know!
      Ironically, I just posted a recipe for cookies sweetened with dates! We’re on the same wavelength!

1. Colleen says:

I’ve looked up the conversion to use my favorite all natural sugar substitute. For my TRUest favorite, it’s 6 packets that equal 1/4 cup.

2. Amy says:

I have tried using date sugar in place of sugar and they just did not come out as yummy as the original recipe. They were OK but not amazing..

1. Thanks for reporting back Amy! Haha. This was SO long ago. I just got an e-mail notification from your comment and saw that is was in 2011. :)

3. Mmmmm nothing beats a super peanut buttery cookie. These look like the bomb! And I’ve been very much into making vegan cookies lately just so I can eat the cookie dough!

4. Clair says:

Yes! Vegan cookies and other desserts…inspired by you. 😀

5. I love that you make these without egg replacer, without specialty flours..just PB and applesauce for the wet and add to the (mainstream) dry. Easy, everyone can find it, everyone can do it.

Have you ever made vegan cookies? = yes, once or twice :)

And good thinking with the PB tag..I have a post where I have all my PB stuff compiled. I do it more for myself so I can keep my own stuff straight. lol

6. Michelle says:

I’ve been Vegan since New years…started out baking … theppk site made it so easy
    ..muffins first, cookies, brownies you name it. Best part you can safely eat the dough.. but I have to admit im Loving you almost daily recipes….what will Katie think of next 😉 love it

7. Audrey Smith says:

Oh this recipe came one day late for me (made some peanut butter cookies last night), but I can’t wait to try it! I made some last night using maple syrup instead of sugar and applesauce, but this sounds even better! Thanks for the recipe!

8. I have never made vegan cookies, but I might have to now that I see how amazing these look!

9. Kristy says:

I feel dumb for asking, but is it really 3 T of flour? I can’t wait to try these!

1. Yes! I use less flour so they’ll be less doughy and the pb flavor/texture will show through more :).

10. Erin says:

Yum, Katie! These look delicious. I want to try them right away. I’m so looking forward to all the recipes you plan to post before Christmas… can you say baking party? :)

11. mmm peanut butter cookies. I’m assuming these are more cake like while your other PB cookies are more fudgy?

1. These are more like the texture of pb cookies you’d buy in a store, if that makes sense :).

12. Hooray for peanut butter cookies! These look so chewy, gooey, soft and delicious. I bet the raw dough is quite good too :)

13. Aja says:

I have made so many vegan desserts since becoming a blogger and stumbling into the food blogging community. Mostly the vegan blogs. It’s funny how people think they will taste horrible but they are, in my opinion, WAY better than non-vegan desserts.
    Congrats on 10 years of veganism! I’m slowly making the transition into veganism myself.
    And I know what I’m baking today. Peanut butter cookies are the best.

14. Those sound delicious. While I’m partial to flourless peanut butter cookies, I’m down for all kinds!!

15. DawnW says:

I’ve been baking vegan for a few years now,but I avoid recipes using applesauce because I’m afraid it will tast apple-y. (I like apples,but not in cookies!) Do these taste like applesauce?

1. No not at all! I usually don’t like using applesauce in a recipe either, because it can sometimes make things taste gummy. But these aren’t gummy, and they only taste like peanut butter :).

1. DawnW says:

Thanks! I gotta try these and throw in some chocolate chips :)

16. Ashley Wilson says:

These look absolutely delicious! But I have a rather large problem…I live in Spain and I’ve looked everywhere and I can’t find applesauce!!! Is there something else I could use?

1. Hmmm… I’ve only ever tried them with applesauce. Maybe cook apple and then puree it to make your own? Or maybe pumpkin or oil, but I haven’t tried either of these.

1. Ashley Wilson says:

I actually tried substituting soy yogurt and they turned out great!

2. Anonymous says:

I made raw applesauce in my vitamin by just pureeing a whole apple With the skins and made the cookies with that and it turned out beautifully.

3. Anonymous says:

Oops! I meant to say vitamix :)

17. Ashley says:

I was vegan for a while and tried making peanut butter cookies once. I was SO excited to try them-until I took them out of the oven. All you had to do was barely poke them and they would crumble… Oops :) I’m definitely going to try these though!

18. I used to make peanut butter cookies all the time with my mom and brother! We’d always make some oatmeal raisin too for my dad… he’s allergic to peanuts. poor guy.

19. KellyB says:

My favortie vegan baking book is Babycakes. Babycakes is a NYC bakery that is vegan and mostly GF. These baking books are fabulous (she has 2 out). They contain great pictures with every recipe and a little story behind each recipe. And best of all they are easy to follow and even my husband will eat these healthier versions of great treats. Oh and they are refined sugar free too!

20. Ooh I love soft cookies, the softer the better! I really like peanut butter but haven’t made peanut butter cookies before, crazy!!

21. Megan says:

Soft peanut butter cookies are the best! I am so glad you posted these! Congrats on 10 years as a vegan too! I recently began to experiment with vegan baking. I have only made your blondies and a vegan pie thus far. Hopefully, I will make some more items soon because both were a success!

22. totally agree about vegan cookie dough! I always have to restrain myself when baking now otherwise only half the batch actually gets made into cookies :)

23. Rachel says:

these look so good!! and I love doughy cookies :) do you think oat flour would work? I’m gluten-free

made your 5 minute chocolate oatmeal for breakfast with the microwaved banana trick (which I am now completely addicted to!) that is DEFINITELY going to be one of my go-to breakfasts now

1. I bte it would! Let me know if you try them with oat flour. I’d love to know how they taste with it. :)

24. I always sub applesauce for oil in baking and no one ever knows! It makes it so much healthier!

25. Woah!! This is a great recipe! Love it 😀

26. Katy says:

Haha! I never ate cookie dough as a kid; I pretty much thought raw eggs equaled death. But now I eat mostly vegan by default, because of my other dietary restrictions. This Thanksgiving I happened to mention to my mom (as I licked batter off the spoon from one of your recipes) that when I do make the decision to officially go vegan, it will probably be 10% for the animals, 10% for the environment, and 80% because I want to eat raw batter.

1. LOL!!
      I definitely like eating raw batter more than baked cookies :).

27. Amber K says:

That is absolutely the best part of vegan cookies, all of the raw cookie dough!

28. ~Jessica~ says:

I’ve been trying to be vegan for 10 years (I say ‘trying’ because I have BED and thus sometimes mess up and consume animal products. I hate myself for doing so though) and I agree that finding vegan products a decade ago was near impossible (aside from naturally vegan things, of course), particularly in the UK.

Your deep dish cookie pie is the best vegan dessert I’ve ever made. I don’t think anything else will ever match it.

29. Yum! I’m surprised you didn’t throw any chocolate chips in these :)
    And, although I’m not vegan, I actually prefer vegan baked goods and always opt to make them over traditional cookies, cakes, etc!

30. I’m currently looking at these cookies while in the library studying for finals. I think a break is in order VERY SOON so I can go home and make these as a reason to procrastinate from re-teaching myself about the sociological perspective. Yes, peanut butter trumps all things.

31. ALL of my cookies are sugar free. Pure magic.

32. Lorin says:

Oh yum! I love peanut butter, it is honestly my favorite food :) Do you happen to have a vegan gingerbread men recipe?

33. Yes, I’ll take a nice big stack please.

*nom, nom, nom*

34. Perfect to bring to the teacher cookie swap!

35. Lena says:

I just wanted to say thank you, thank you, for all your wonderful baking recipes!
    Last year I got really into Christmas baking, but after changing into a vegan and health food junkie, I was worried this year I couldn’t bring myself to bake all the milk, egg and sugar filled treats like last year. I’m so happy I’ve found your blog! A vegan baker’s heaven :)

1. Awww thank YOU for such a sweet comment!

36. Helen says:

Hey Katie! Thanks for posting this recipe. I just made them today, and they are delicious. I also added some chocolate chips to the batter too. 😉 My family can’t tell that they’re vegan either!
    Thanks again!

1. Oh wow, I am so excited you already made them!

37. These look so good! I love PB cookies :) I make vegan cookies often and my favorite part is definitely that I can eat the dough without the fear of raw egg!

38. Your single serve pb cookie is the only vegan cookie recipe I have ever made and it is SO good! :)

39. Just made these, with GF brown bread flour and without chilling the dough and they’re so good, chewy/crunchy and delicious, thank you :-)

1. Oh wow, I’m excited to know they work with that gf flour. People are always asking for gf options; I’ll definitely pass along your idea! :)

1. They worked perfectly – I might have to test them again though, just to check… :-)

2. LOL! You are too cute, Eleanor. You always make me smile :).

40. These cookies sound delicious! Great recipe :)

41. Kit-Kat says:

Oh yes! Vegan cookies are the norm!

42. Albizia says:

I almost always make vegan cookies because it is easier and I can eat as much batter as I want 😀 .

43. Peanut butter cookies are my favorite! Well, peanut butter anything actually. I need cookies for a swap, maybe these will be the winners!

44. Em says:

I made them with almond butter, because it’s all I had in the house. They are off the hook good, and I’d bet be even better when I get a hold of some PB!!!!! As always, your recipes rock!!

1. I’ve been wanting to try them with other nut butters. I’m so excited to know they work with almond butter! I want to try them with Justin’s maple almond butter next… or maybe chocolate. :)

45. ash says:

Great recipe- we are trying to be an all vegan household– I’ve used applesauce in cakes and brownies before but never cookies-now I must try it! Thanks!

46. I use applesauce in all my baked goods!! It adds such a great level of moistness and texture!

47. I’m so glad you made a whole tag for your peanut butter recipes. It definitely deserves the attention, considering it’s probably the best food out there.. These cookies look great!

48. Christine says:

conventional PB or natural PB?

1. I usually use natural (Whole Foods brand, salted), but conventional will work too!

1. Anonymous says:

Thank you just the question I was going to ask. I have natural PB and worried it might be thin without all the oil and thickeners/stabilizers that get put into conventional PB. I suppose you might have to reduce the sugar too if you had conventional, but I am glad to be using natural.

On another note, I do not have AP flour so I will let you know how it goes and what I use.

2. Anonymous says:

Oops, I should say I don’t have wheat flour. I actually found some cake and pastry flour do I will use that, and will also be trying a gf option.

49. Michaela says:

haha, that is exactly what I always tell myself! Raw vegan cookie dough is “safe”. Since I am a vegan, I have made tons of vegan cookies before and I will definitely try this recipe, as I love pb!

50. Mmmmm peanut butter cookays!! I love the ones made by Sweets From The Earth :) so good!

51. Sonja says:

those pb cookies look great! I think I’ll make them for my birthday next weekend! I love the story about your early vegan days. Yes, I baked vegan cookies in the past and the last ones I made were oat cookies and my flatmates loved them although they are not vegans :-)

52. LizAshlee says:

I LUV pb cookies and what a super simple recipe!

53. Sarah says:

YUM! I made these, and I wish I’d doubled the batch. They’re the best pb cookies I’ve ever had, and my bf thinks so too!

54. Dani says:

OMG these look absolutely AMAZING! I have never made vegan cookies before, but i will definitely be trying these ASAP. I mean they’re peanut butter cookies, how can they not be good if they have peanut butter in them! I bet they’d be even more delicious with chocolate tips!! Yummmm!

I absolutely love your blog cause I am a huge sweets addict! I just started my own blog, so I hope you’ll stop by and check it out at :

1. Aww thanks! I’ll be sure to check it out :)

55. I’ve never made a vegan cookies. Those pb cookies look amazing – I can’t wait to try out the recipe. I love anything with peanut butter!

56. Amanda says:

I can’t even remember the last time I used an egg in a recipe. I LOVE vegan baking! I’m on a chia seed egg kick right now, and the texture is pretty much spot-on. My favorite part is definitely eating the cookie dough. Sometimes I get the urge to bake just so I can eat the dough. :)

1. jess says:

amanda.. are you using chia seeds to replace eggs?? I’ve recently attempted flax seeds to do that and it worked! would love to hear what you’re doing.

57. Karen says:

SO good!! I made 22 out of the batch and they were tiny before baking. They spread a lot & turned into perfect sized cookies! I can’t believe they have no eggs or oil!

58. Kathryn says:

I made these today and find them almost too gummy/peanut buttery. Would there be a way to thin out the flavour and consistency little bit?

Also, mine stayed pretty soft even though I did not refrigerate the dough… not sure if that’s normal.

59. OMG! These just came out of the oven and they are ridiculously ridiculously amazing! Thank you so very much :) Words I overheard from the husband through his mouthful, “these are muffing amazing!” hehe

I doubled the recipe and left out 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda and didn’t have applesauce but added a chopped 1/2 of an apple to the food processor. They turned out just like the ‘regular’ cookies I made when I was little. I liked being able to make the fork pattern too. :)

60. Rachel says:

thanks! now there is drool on my keyboard!

61. Every time I made vegan PB cookies, I get at least one, “These are the best PB cookies I’ve ever had!” It doesn’t matter what recipe I use. Can’t wait to try these out on some people. But first, I’ll try them out one me :-)

62. Kathleen says:

Katie, have I told you how much I LOVE YOU?!?! 😀 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

63. katia says:

I always make vegan cookies for my older sister, who has been vegan for a few years now-and hates cooking-. Cookies, cakes, pies, including your cookie pie<3!-Its amazing.- Also things that arent sweet. It doesn't really to me if it's vegan or not, as long as its good and healthy. I assume its difficult to be vegan in a non-vegan household, so I help her out. I noticed it keeps me on a mostly vegetarian diet without trying.

64. Cari says:

I made these cookies tonight. They are amazing. I used brown sugar/stevia blend and sugar/stevia blend. It was so hard to not eat the whole batch!!!!

65. Erika says:

Just made these and added some chocolate chips because I had a small amount lying around… oh wow, these are amazing!!
    Thanks so much for sharing the recipe Katie. Honestly, I now check your blog about as much as I check anything online. :)

66. These look great! I love a simple recipe!

67. Melissa says:

I just made these and I can’t believe how wonderful they are. My husband just tried to make me some last weekend the traditional way and they weren’t even half as good as these. They do spread a lot, and I would probably second the recipe if I were bringing them somewhere. I mean, if I could share that is…

68. Sarah says:

Hi, I subbed gf oat flour for the flour and 1/4 cup agave instead of the sugars. These were yummy :)

1. Thanks for letting me know they work with oat flour! I was curious about that :).

69. Diane says:

OMG! These cookies are amazing! I made these for Christmas presents to give to my dog walking human clients. I added mini chocolate chips to them and put the dough into mini muffin cups before I baked them. I am making more tomorrow because I have all ready eaten 10. Opps. I was able to make 30 cookies. Thanks for the wonderful recipes Katie! Merry Christmas!!

1. Wow, mini muffin cookies?? That has got to be the best idea since… ever? 😉

1. Diane says:

I put a picture on your Facebook page. :-)

70. Katelyn says:

Hey Katie! I’ve been reading your blog for awhile now but this is my first time commenting. I made these cookies last night and my little brother (well he’s 17 so not so little!) ate EVERY LAST ONE! I didn’t tell him they’re healthy let alone vegan because he’s one of those people who won’t touch anything vegan and he loved them!! His only complaint was that they weren’t big enough!! Haha! Thanks so much for this awesome recipe, it’s definitely a keeper!

71. Emily says:

We just made these this morning! The baked cookies are as good as the dough (and I sampled quite a bit so I can say that with some authority). This is the best recipe we’ve tried in our search for the perfect peanut butter cookie without breaking an egg.

72. Reagan says:

Katie, these cookies are amazing! I just made them today and they are fantastic!

73. Ashley says:

I tried these out today and they were delicious! Thanks for the yummy recipe!

74. Jennifer says:

Applesauce, could be quite interesting.

75. Jennifer says:

Just made these and the applesauce was good, needs more peanut butter. I like my Peanut Butter cookies to taste like peanut butter. :)

1. Michelle says:

Make sure your peanut butter isn’t mixed with something like palm oil. Not that this is a bad thing, but it will take away the extra strong peanut flavor. Has to be 100% peanuts, and nothing else. I like my cookies to taste really strong of peanut butter too. Bit wary of using applesauce, as I haven’t had luck with substituting this in any recipe except banana bread. Makes cookies cake-like, which I don’t care for. Cookies should be crumbly, even if they aren’t crisp.

76. Ashley says:

Love the recipe! Do you think I could add a hershey kiss to the top and make PB Blossoms out of them? Or do they spread too much?

1. I was actually wanting to try it, too! I’ve been on the lookout for hershey kiss-shaped molds so I can make vegan hershey kisses to try it. If you try it first with real hershey kisses, definitely let me know how it goes! :)

1. Ashley says:

I def will! I will be using the real hershey kisses since I’m not vegan but I’m thinking you could also use regular vegan chocolate chips and make tiny peanut butter blossoms! :)

2. Ashley says:

I made the PB blossoms using your recipe – delish!!

3. It worked?! Oh awesome! I am so so glad you tried it, Ashley! :)

77. Caroline says:

LOVE LOVE LOVE these! I used GF flour and they turned out perfectly! Now I have to try and not eat all of them in one sitting.

78. Ro says:

I made these after dinner and Ohhhh Mmmmm Geeeeeee! I LOVE these!!!!!!!

YOU are genius, Ms. CCK. I am so glad I found your blog!!!!!!!

1. Aww Ro, I’m so glad you found me, too! :)

79. HealthFoodJunky says:

I made these cookies for my Dad (he is absolutely obsessed with the non-vegan kind) and he TOTALLY LOVED them! I am so happy to find a healthy version of his favorite cookie! Thank you so much, Katie!

80. Shannon says:

I just made these for Santa and my family is currently devouring them. None of us are vegan, but no one can tell the difference! I love your recipes, these are INCREDIBLE and I am already addicted.

81. Debbie says:

I made these for a party yesterday. They are sooooo good! Thanks!

82. Lindsey says:

I LOVE YOUR BLOG! I became vegan about 6 months ago and I’m so glad I found CCK :) your recipes are always delicious and healthy, and I’m glad your spreading around the awesomeness that is veganism and eating healthy! Go you!

Ps- I’ve made your red velvet pancakes for myself for breakfast 3 times in a row… Yummyy

1. Aww Lindsey, that makes me SO happy!!

83. Jessica says:

Just made this recipe and stuck it in the oven. the batter was delicious, but this is probably one of the smallest batches I’ve ever made. I had to make the cookies super small to make the dough last longer too. I’m sure they’ll turn out delicious, they just probably won’t last long in this house.

Made a little change due to my lack of applesauce too. 1/2 T ground flax and 1 1/2 T water since your recipe only called for substitution of half an egg. the flax seems to be working just as well.

84. Erin Eloise says:

Just made them with a coconut blend GF flour and they are AMAZING. I made them extra tiny, so they are perfect to share :)

85. Jo Clute says:

Let the kids pick out a recipe to try this afternoon. The weather here in Turkey is freezing cold and miserable and they were about to kill one another. They turned out great and they’re already scarfed down. Best part was eating the cookie dough!!

86. sarah says:

omg!! These were soo good. Me and my sister made these a couple of days ago and they were so yummy and peanut buttery 😀 thanks for the recipe!

87. Hannah says:

Hey I’m curious what does ‘T’ mean in the ingredient list. I’ve honestly never come across it before. It might be because I’m from a different country, and can’t make these cookies until I know what that means.

88. Andrea says:

YUM katie, YUM! I used GF flour and almond butter instead of PB… Mine spread out a ton, probably because it was a fresh jar of almond butter and (even though I stirred it) I got more of the oils from the top of the jar than I should have. I was worried they would get crispy because they are so thin, but they are SOFT and AMAZING just as you promised! These are the first vegan cookie I have made… and I’m in love! THANK YOU!

I have a blog, and I don’t post much, but these and your chocolate-pb no-bake cookies are going to be my first blog post in a whiiile. I’ll credit it back to you, of course! Check it out later today!

1. I’m so glad you liked them!

P.S. Your snickerdoodle cupcakes look incredible!

1. Andrea says:

Yay! Thanks for checking out my little blog! :)

89. Stephanie says:

Wow! We just tasted this recipe today and both the kids and I loved the cookies! This is the first time since we’ve had to give up dairy, eggs and gluten that we’ve liked peanut butter cookies. So this is going to be THE recipe for us.
    Would you be ok if I translate it into French for my blog? (with a link and credit to your blog, of course)

90. Kristin says:

I just made these using organic chocolate peanut butter! Thank you so much for the recipie!

91. Sonya Gass says:

We love you. My daughter, son and I have Gluten allergies. We try to eat healthy and decrease our sugar intake. Thank you for fueling our recipe bank and providing such yummy snacks.

92. Clarissa says:

Finally got around to making this today! I ended up using a 1/2 C flour because my pb is pretty thin, and I subbed some of that for oats and shredded coconut, mmm. :) Even after the extra flour I only got 15 small cookies, so the yield might be a little off. I was so scared they were going to sink in the oven like my other egg-free cookie failures, but they held up great and they are delicious!

93. Kathy says:

My 4 year old son has recently gotten over a peanut allergy, and these were his very first peanut butter cookies! He absolutely loved them, and was even able to help me make them. I was shocked how good they were. This recipe is definitely a keeper.

94. Jolene Kroeger says:

I am new to the whole eating healthy with less sugar and no eggs. What type of peanut butter do you use? Does it matter what brand of natural peanut butter? I am currently using Earth Balance natural peanut butter but not sure if I can use it to make these cookies.

1. I used Whole Foods brand pb for this, so Earth Balance should be fine! :)
      As long as it’s salted… and if it’s not, I’d add a little salt.

95. karyna b says:

can i add cocoa powder to them or will they taste funny?

1. Debbie says:

I added cocoa powder to mine and they tasted great! I mix it in just enough so it is just dissolved in, so it’s more of a swirl!

96. Jean-Paul says:

Thanks for putting this out there. Only issue I had with this was on cooking time and resting afterwards. I had to go approx 13 minutes on cook time and rested 10, as I pulled them out at 8 and rested 5 initially and the first one I tried to remove behaved like it was severely undercooked. Maybe it had to do with my using a gas oven and not electric.

In the end though, it tasted great and I will definitely make these again.

97. Morgan Wille says:

This might seem like a dumb question but I’m new to baking…are you supposed to use a blender to mix the ingredients or can you just do it by hand? Also, what do you mean by rolling out the cookie dough? I usually just make balls about 2 in thick…

1. You can do it by hand, and yes you should form balls :).

98. sboyle says:

Made these in a vitamix, starting with a half apple (instead of applesauce) and 4 dates (instead of sugar), added the rest and zoom! Needed a bit of moisture to mix properly so I added half a banana – yum!!

99. Daryl-Lynne says:

I just made these! Sooooo good!

100. Daryl-Lynne says:

Hello, I was just wondering if it would be possible to use splenda, and splenda brown sugar in place of the regular sugar and brown sugar in this recipe?

1. Anna says:

You bet! My boyfriend likes the stuff, so I baked these (in heart shape, of course!) with Splenda brand everything and they were delicious.

101. kokoronagomu says:

i have been making my own vegan version of rum balls — grind: pecans, almonds, walnuts, coconut, hazelnuts (optional toasted is best), chocolate, chocolate, dates and raisins. mix all together with a couple bags of mini chocolate chips, 151 proof dark rum and frangelico — roll in balls and roll in either finely ground coffee or chopped nuts — they have a bit of a kick but have been a hit at weddings’ and anniversaries’ cookie tables (cookie table is a pittsburgh tradition).

102. Angela says:

My son and I just made these. We added 2 tsp of cocoa powder to the mix. OMG, SOOOO Deeeeelicious!! Love them! Thanks for the recipe! We were happy to find a recipe where we had all the ingredients on hand. Yay :)

1. Angela says:

Forgot to add: we also used regular Whole Wheat flour and chunky peanut butter. They turned out perfectly.

103. Lisa says:

I made these just now with regular whole wheat flour, and they came out perfectly, to the “T”!! I am going to bring them to work tomorrow (if there are any left). I’m a nurse, and my co-workers and I are always trying to eat healthy. I have a feeling I will be sharing many recipes with them!!

104. Grace says:

I’ve tried making these a few times with Truvia instead of sugar, the first time there was waaaay too much sugar in them i could taste the granules! The second I used around 1/8 c of truvia and 1 T of brown sugar and they just came out a little weird, almost cakey with a weird texture. Is the truvia messing up the recipe??

1. Grace says:

oh i also used pb2 which i think is the problem

105. Oh my goodness! I wanted to bring cookies to my aunt tomorrow and I know she loves coconut and almond, so I made these but instead of peanut butter I used two parts almond butter to one part coconut butter and almond extract instead of vanilla. And they are DIVINE! They melt in your mouth! Even my mom, who is usually very wary of my vegan cooking, LOVED them! She said they remind her of the pignoli cookies she loves from a nearby bakery. But these are much cheaper and so much healthier!

I can’t wait to give some to my aunt tomorrow! I know she’ll love them!

Thanks for another great recipe!!! :)

1. I love your idea to use part coconut butter. I tried it with all coconut butter once, and they were too crumbly. I never thought to do just a part. Thanks for such a great idea!

106. Baked these cookies today and they received rave reviews. Since I didn’t have applesauce on hand, I used canned pumpkin as a substitute. Thanks for being awesome as always!

1. Oh wow, I love your idea to use pumpkin!

107. Caz says:

Oh Katie these are amazing!!! Made them this evening with half applesauce/half coconut butter, and a mix of peanut butter and hazelnut butter – brilliant, thank you, thank you, thank you!

108. katia says:

I’m making these tomorrow, do you think it’d be ok to use PB2? The only reason I’m hesitant to use it is the lack of oil.. Maybe I should add a teaspoon of coconut oil or something?

109. Jason says:

I made these last weekend and they turned out great. I ended up refrigerating my dough overnight because that’s just how things worked out. Anyway, they came out reminiscent of soft batch cookies… at least what I remember soft batch cookies tasting like, it’s been a few years. Do they even sell those cookies anymore?
    Great recipe, I will definately make them again and again!

110. Kristen says:

I added chia seeds and chocolate chips instead of brown sugar … Divine!!

111. Shaheen says:

Good gravy these are delicious!! my first time making egg-less peanut butter cookies and I must say they taste EVEN BETTER then the traditional ones! I didn’t have coconut oil so i used butter. :3 thank you for the recipe! My mom and siblings couldn’t believe how tasty they were and we’re shocked when i said they were vegan 😀

1. Shaheen says:

Oops XD no butter in this recipe. haha my excitmet of making another recipe slipped to this one!

112. Kat says:

I really wanted to bake something fun with my kids the other night, since we have been apart for a while and I needed a great peanut butter cookie recipe. I came straight to your blog because I knew I would find exactly what I needed. :)

Below is a link to my blog post where I linked back to your recipe.

Thanks for having such a great blog!!

113. Alanna says:

Oh my goodness, these are so yummy!! I debated whether to make them after seeing how much peanut butter they used (I know that sounds silly, but I wanted to make sure I can still make your PB breakfast pudding tomorrow!), but I’m so glad I did. I have 26 adorable little bite-sized cookies that are taste even better than regular PB cookies! Was going to make the raw ones before I realized I have raisins but no peanuts. CCK does it again! :)

1. Alanna says:

*that taste even better, not that are taste even better, lol

114. Lina says:

I just made these and they’re DELICIOUS! I love them! I also made your Oatmeal Raisin Cookies and the Oatmeal Raisin Larabars. Everything tastes fantastic <3
    I love that your recipes are vegan. I'm not vegan but a vegetarian that tries to eat less dairy / eggs. And I ate a lot of cookies that aren't vegan but didn't taste as good as these :)

115. Tina says:

Yum! Perfectly sweet and peanutty! I must have made them really big–I only got 12, but that’s OK!

116. Jasmine says:

I just made these cookies but I used Peanut Butter and Co’s Dark Chocolate Dreams.
    Even my non vegan family members love them.

This is definitely my favorite peanut butter recipe. Thanks for sharing. I can’t wait to use more recipes!

1. Thank YOU for trying them! It always makes me so happy when someone tries a recipe and it works out well :).

117. gwennie says:

WOW, who da thunk :D..been searching through recipies for a better for you cookie and so happy I found yours! These are amazingly question tho, mine are flat and wafer thin, are so supposed to be thicker? Thanks again!

1. Did you make sure to chill the dough completely before cooking? That yields a MUCH softer cookie!

1. gwennie says:

feelin’ silly..i didn’t chill at all, totally forgot! will do that cuz i’m definitely making them again..thx :)

118. Chalynda Jackson says:

Could I just use whole wheat regular flour?

1. Sorry, I haven’t tried it so I don’t know.

119. Sara Dane says:

I made these for my husband on Saturday; he LOVED them so much he too me to my favorite vegan restaurant in Houston – Field of Greens!!

We had cookies for an appetizer and then again after dinner for dessert!!

1. cck says:

aww I’m so glad! :) :)

120. Heather says:

ok so I am not sure if I’m missing something but is there milk or water that goes in these?

1. cck says:

Nope. Just the applesauce and pb will be enough to make a dough (not a batter). :)

121. gwennie says:

i let the dough chill for an hour and what a difference! they rose and turned into a supersoft peanut buttery tasting cookie! one question tho, they were super crumbly so wonder if i add one more tablespoon of applesauce if it would be less so?? thanks 😀

122. courtney says:

i just made these, and wow! amazing texture and taste!

i made a few changes because i didn’t have some things on-hand:
    – i tripled the vanilla extract (i don’t really measure when cooking/baking, but i think it was around triple the amount mentioned… i LOVE vanilla!)
    – i added a couple pinches of salt because i had 2 kinds of organic PB, salted and unsalted, and had only enough for a 1/4 cup of each
    – i used 2 T raw agave because i didn’t have applesauce (ehh, they’re similar in consistency right? i don’t know, but it worked!)
    – i used 1/4 splenda instead of sugar (not a great sweetener choice IMO, but i was given a box of it and am trying to use it up as quickly as possible!)

i baked these at your suggested temp for 9 minutes instead of 8, and half-way through the baking process, i opened the oven and smooshed the cookie balls down a little with a fork (they got that “classic” PB cookie look).

amazing recipe katie! i know i changed it a bit, but i used your basic recipe and it turned out great! thanks for posting this because my last attempt at vegan PB cookies had a pretty bad-tasting result! 😀

1. courtney says:

oh, i didn’t bother to chill the dough (lazy baker here), i just made the dough into little balls and popped them in the oven. the texture was chewy, a little crumbly (but they held together), and soft. delicious!

my take on the recipe yielded 16 little cookies.

2. Haha I love vanilla too. I’ll have to try your version!

123. courtney says:

oh em gee. i used the modified recipe above, and added 3T cocoa powder, plus 2T warm water to balance out the extra dry ingredients… i’ve made delicious PB chocolate cookies! so yummy!

124. Lily says:

okay im a bit confused as too what is T? is it table spoons?
    haha thank you i will be trying out this recipe tonight1 :))

1. Lily says:

oh okay, just making sure! thank you :))

125. Matt says:

Katie, I love your recipes, but it would be so much healthier to use eggs instead of applesauce! Maybe you could post non-vegan versions for us health nuts. And please some xylitol or honey instead of sugar or agave nectar? Thanks!

126. Heather W says:

I’m doing an experiment with this recipe today. I’m gonna try to make them in to pumpkin cookies!

127. Errin says:

I added dark chocolate chips! YUM

128. katherine says:

these are delicious! the kid I babysit for couldn’t get enough!

129. Wendy says:

Has anyone tried this with a non-nut butter? My daughter is allergic to eggs and all nuts, but I’d like her to try a version of these. We have Sunbutter on hand, but since it’s expensive, I thought I’d check with you all before trying it out myself. Thanks!

130. Anna says:

These look amazing – I’d love to try them. But I’m in the UK, and we don’t measure food in cups here – any chance you could let me know how much peanut butter and sugar the recipe needs by weight?

131. karen says:

These cookies are great! I googled vegan peanut butter cookies – wanting to serve them after our dinner party last night. We don’t cook with oil, but had resigned myself to lowering my standards to make a good cookie. I stumbled on this site and they looked promising. I put a few vegan chocolate chips in them. Awesome cookies, I will be making them again and again. I also love how super easy they were.

132. Lia says:

Oh wow these are delicious! I couldn’t wait 5 minutes and had one right from the oven. It tasted like a raw gooey cookie with a little peanut butter! Not super strong PB taste though so yummy regardless. I used white whole wheat flour. Between this and your cookie pie you have a gift Katie!

133. Gareth Jones says:

Hi Katie! What a great blog! I just discovered it! One question though – what does T stand for on the recipe for the peanut butter cookies?! Im looking to make them but dont want to get the portions wrong! Gareth

1. tablespoon. Sorry for the confusion!

134. Kierra says:

If I wanted to use agave instead of the white sugar, what is the substitution? And do I have to reduce the heat of the oven or the baking time?

135. Karen says:

Made these and tasted delicious but they went really flat. Any suggestions?

1. Can you tell me more about what specific ingredients you used? It’s hard to know what could’ve gone wrong since I wasn’t there to see, but I’d love to try and help figure it out!!

136. Erika says:

Just made these, although it would be hard to tell from the remains since the boyfriend nearly inhaled them out of the oven! Wanted to throw in a couple of notes:
    – 2 T banana instead of applesauce for a denser crumb
    – mash banana and vanilla into warm peanut butter before adding to the dry ingredients
    – add 1 T flax seeds for a bit of texture and nutrition

Thanks for the reliably delicious recipe!

137. Anon says:

You can successfully sub flax-eggs for the applesauce. Makes it a bit more healthy as an added bonus. Flax eggs = ground flax + water + refrigerate.

Great cookies, I love the low flour content, really creative idea, and very tasty.

138. Amy says:

I just made these and I love them! Added chocolate chips and it made them even better! PS I also love the chocolate peanut butter balls! You make being veganish even easier!!

139. Chelsea says:

I made this according to the recipe the first time and they were spectacular! just made a batch now substituting oil for the apple sauce because i was out and they were no good :(. def gonna stick to the apple sauce from now on. thank’s CCK!

140. Jamee says:

Lovely! I made these and substituted maple syrup for the brown sugar, and I added a little extra flour so they’d form balls and not be too sticky. I also added about a teaspoon of Dutch cocoa powder because I too am a choco-lover, and heck, why not. They were delicious and totally satisfied the craving I’ve had all day for peanut butter (especially thanks to reading most of the recipes on your blog in one sitting earlier). I think they’d also be wonderful with chocolate chips. Basically, peanut butter + chocolate + banana are three ingredients that really can’t go wrong together, no matter how you combine them. I know there’s no banana in this recipe, but just sayin’. (Chocolate-banana-peanut-butter cookies? Has that been done?) Thank you Katie for so many delicious and inspiring vegan recipes! I admire your true talent.

Answer to the QOTD: I have indeed made a few vegan desserts since transitioning to a plant-based diet 6 weeks ago, and I’m pretty sure most or all of them have been from the CCK blog. I don’t feel the need to look elsewhere!

141. Maxx says:

These cookies tasted pretty good, but they were really dry and crumbly. They also didn’t flatten out. Do I need to do that myself?

1. Yes, you should flatten a little. But they shouldn’t be dry. What flour did you use?

1. Maxx says:

i used all purpose white flour

142. Connie says:

Hands down this has become my favorite peanut butter cookie recipe. Even my husband, who is leery of some of my recipes, LOVES these. Thanks for bringing more smiles to my house!

143. Twinkle Adams says:

Cookies have never brought me to tears before: but this recipe is so reminiscent of the delicious confections my Parents used to make with my 7 siblings and I that before I swallowed the first bite tears were rollin’ down my cheeks! :) THE best Peanut Butter Cookie recipe I’ve ever made! <3 I'll be sharing this with everyone I know! Especially my Brothers and Sisters. :) Can't wait to try more of your wonderful recipes Katie! :) Blessings.

144. Jihyen says:

Hi Katie, I’ve now made this recipe a few times and love it! I’ve gotta tell you- I was afraid of eating the dough, because it just seemed really weird. Doughs are the un-done version of baked goods! But I left just a little bit of dough to try it, and oh my! LOVE it! I think I’ll make double batch so that I can eat 1/2 raw and enjoy the rest as cookies!

145. Bryn says:

Katie, there is a major problem with all your recipes: THEY ARE TOO ADDICTING!!! :) hehe! and these cookies are no exception! I used oat flour and brown sugar only and halved the recipe and they were so delicious I ate half the batch warm from the oven! Thank you for creating such amazing healthy and vegan desserts that I can eat guilt free!!!!

146. Sarah Elmore says:

I just made these and wow! I have been searching for the perfect vegan cookie recipe and I have found it! I used white whole wheat flour and coconut crystals…totally ate almost all my cookies; they are so so good!

Thank you!

147. madison says:

I have made these cookies several times and absolutely love them. I wanted to make them tonight, but had no applesauce…. instead I substituted frozen banana that I smashed with a fork. Because it was frozen, it made the dough nice and cool and the cookies turned out nice and soft.

148. Kelly says:

OH. MY. GOD. This is the best peanut butter cookie recipe ever! I did some with vegan chocolate chips and some without. Thank you Katie!!

149. Becca says:

This recipe is divine. I’ve found though that it’s necessary for me to quarter this recipe to make a single serving because I literally have no self control when it comes to these cookies; I could easily eat the entire batch in one sitting! Usually I just eat the dough raw or even use it as frosting! Last night I made your chocolate cake in a mug and frosted it with this cookie dough and it was amazing!!! :)

150. Elizabeth says:

These cookies are great! I was so happy they turned out – earlier this week I had a disappointing experience with egg replacer in my chocolate chip cookies that didn’t turn out – I was afraid vegan cookies would never be good!
    But you proved me wrong. Thanks so much for the recipe!

151. Ruthie says:

Thank you so much for sharing! I made them today and substituted stevia for sugar. They were wonderful, so soft and rich. Appreciate your insight & recipes into vegan cooking; love the blog!

152. Anonymous says:

i loved these cookies! i swear theyre the best cookies ive ecer put in my mouth! i had to only bake 1 to resist eating the whole batch (good luck with stopping my cookie dough eating though) you desserve a metal for these.

153. Sabina says:

Hi I loved this recipe! I was just wondering about how long I should bake them. You said that if they looked a little underdone to take them out anyway so I did and they completely fell apart on me. Is that normal? I was just wondering your thoughts about them. They just broke the minute I touched them and tried to remove them from the cookie pan to a plate. Thank you so much for making this recipe available to us!

1. You need to let them cool at least ten minutes before trying to remove from the tray ;).

154. Candi says:

Oh. Em. Gee. I have never baked anything vegan but I have a friend coming in from out of town who recently changed her diet to exclude all animal proteins for health reasons. Being a Southerner, I can’t have guests without having plenty of sweets and snacks for them to eat, so I found your recipe and made these. They’ve been out of the oven 20 minutes and I’ve eaten 3. HOLY COW. I may have the whole batch eaten before my friend gets here! Good thing I have another batch of dough chilling in the fridge. THANK YOU for this amazing recipe. This will most likely be the only peanut butter cookie I ever make. Awesome.

(Before I forget though: did you use sweetened or unsweetened applesauce or did you make your own apple puree? I used “original” applesauce from the grocery store. Since I used sweetened applesauce, I cut back on the amount of white sugar I used in the second batch by about 1/16 of a cup.)

155. Andrea says:

Hi! I made these cookies last night and they tasted great! I doubled the recipe because I wanted more cookies. Someone had posted a comment about the recipe only using 3T of flour and I was questioning that too. But the consistency was perfect. Chewy peanut butter cookies ….just the way I like them. I also added 3 chocolate chips on top on a couple. Yum.

156. Courtney says:

I made these for the first time today! OMG! Delish! Even the men in the house loved the secret vegan cookies :)

157. Svetlana Nelson says:

YUM! I made these and they were amazing. I threw in a handful of grated carrots just for fun and it still turned out great! And a word of warning to the rest of you…make sure you are not using sweetened peanut butter! I am glad I realized what I had done before I added in all the sugar!

158. We are just embracing a Vegan lifestyle, and sure didn’t expect it to be so hard. Surfing almost every day to find those foods that we love and crave and learning how we can still have those foods but keeping it vegan. Thanks for the cookie recipe, can’t wait to surprise my cookie monster hubby.

159. Lena says:

I’ve made these so many times before, I love them! I just made them with half a cup of flour (1/4 white, 1/4 whole wheat) to make them firmer because last time I used just the 3T and I sent them to someone abroad, and they crumbled a lot… also used agave and maple syrup, and some chocolate chunks. Turned out great, but for the first time ever, I found myself thinking “this needs some salt!” (My friends know me as the one who always avoids adding salt to things.) I’m so used to not putting any in unless it’s in the recipe that I didn’t think to use it here. I really think it would’ve added a lot – maybe worth adding it into the recipe? I know you mentioned your PB had salt but I kind of skipped over that, haha. I dunno, just my point of view. Either way these cookies are amazing :)

P.S. Hope you had a wonderful birthday!

1. Done! Thanks for the feedback!

160. Morgen says:

Hey C C K!
    I’ve been making lots of your awesome recipes lately and I’m loving them! Do you have nutrition info on these cookies? My husband thinks they are awesome!

161. Anonymous says:

Hello, good to see a recipe for Vegan Peanut Butter Cookies (and sugar free), but, the sugar free ones are a totally different type of cookie to the sugar ones.
    I want the sugar ones, without the sugar.
    How can I make them without sugar?

Yours Sincerely

162. Sydney says:

Great cookies. I added a handful of cacao nibs and they gave it a sweet crunch. Yum!

163. Brit says:

Wow! These are delicious. My hubby and son inhaled them during Sunday football. I’ll definitely make a double batch next time! I made some small changes based on what I had on hand. They turned out so great, I had to share! I used cinnamon raisin granola peanut butter and left out the vanilla extract – because I didn’t realize I had run out :-/ I was a little concerned about the missing vanilla but the peanut butter had so much flavor, we didn’t even notice.

164. Susan says:

I made these today using Peanut Butter & Co’s White Chocolate Wonderful peanut butter. OMG! So, so, so easy and so, so, so, so good! I am NOT going to admit to the actual number eaten!

165. Cera says:

OMG. These are so good. I can normally control my cookie eating, but with these, I was out of controle! I did increase the amount of flour ( i used whole wheat, rolled oats and flaxseed) and I did refridgerate the dough. They came out amazing. Perfectly soft and chewy… I seriously ate like 8 of them!

166. Kerri says:

These were SO good!! Thank you so much for this recipe!!

167. Julia Smith says:

OMG! These things are stinkin AMAZING!!! HOW can they be healthy??? Lol I LOVE you Katie!!! You are a miracle-worker!!! 😛

168. Kim says:

These are soooo good! Just made them with choc chips and I can’t believe they are healthy! Thanks so much :)

169. Faith says:

No raw egg batter is the best! Haha my daughter always wants to try it and its been worry free fun since we have become vegan! :)

170. Dan Griffin says:

Hmm. Not sure what I did wrong here. Mine puffed up a bit in the oven, but then immediately fell to very flat (1/8″ thick). They still taste good…so believe me, we’ll still eat them. Is there supposed to be baking powder in here as well to add some leavening.

1. Nope. But you do need to let them cool the maximum amount of time after they come out of the oven. They aren’t supposed to be super-puffy cookies, but they should look like the ones in the photos.

171. Cheryl says:

Hi Katie,
    I absolutely love your blog. I have seen you mention on your blog you are not a fan of “fake” sugars. I totally agree. I have seen some vegan dessert recipes that use dates as the sweetner, that turned out well, even smoothies. I’m wondering if you would consider incorporating dates as the sweetner for the sugar free option for some of your recipes? Your recipes are so amazing, I’m anxious to see what you would come up with using dates to sweeten vs xylitol etc.
    Thank you so much for all your hard work!

1. I already do ;).
      Many of my recipes are sweetened with dates– the sf cookie dough dips, cookie pie, and even a date-sweetened pb cookie linked in this very post.

172. Damen says:

Just made these about 10 mins ago got 12 cookies i used natural pb instead and all purpose flour turned out great ill def be making these again !!!

173. Katie C says:

Just made these also! Added choc chips to them… heavenly. Thank you!

174. Frances says:

I made these on Friday for a cookie contest & recipe exchange. I added some dark chocolate chips. Sadly they didn’t win but I loved them so much that I took a few of mine home instead of exchanging them with the other peoples’ cookies! My sons and I just made up another batch of the dough to bake in a little while. I love that they’re vegan and so few ingredients and that I can eat the raw dough. Another winner! I also love your chocolate chip cookie dough pie!!!! Keep up the great work :)

175. Pt says:

These cookies have turned out to be fab. thankx so much for the reciepe.. the only thing that surprised me that the cookie flatterned a lot more.. then expected.. is there something i should have been more careful about.. i rolled them in my hand after cooling it in the fridge for about an hour & then re-frigged them. but like u said.. the cookie is supersoft & melts in the mouth.. exact recipe… does give same result.

1. Maybe make them smaller? They never flatten too much for me. Be sure to allow them to cool long enough after baking, as that’s important.

1. Pt says:

i’m gonna try it again & surely let u know.. thanks for the tips!

176. Andrea Butler says:

I LOVE this recipe! I’m not a dessert person, but every now and again a craving comes along. I’ve tried your Secret Peanut Butter Cookies and Healthy Cookie Dough Dip. In both, I used agave nectar instead of sugar and they both turned out very well. Thank you for the great ideas and for satisfying a healthy girl’s sugar cravings. 😀

177. Jennifer says:

I have a friend who DO NOT do sugar, but she is missing cookies. I am new to using Stevia in baking… could i substitute a liquid Stevia for the sugar? If so, how much should I use?

In advance, thank you for your time and help!

1. Sorry, I’ve never tried it. I do have other cookie recipes that are sugar-free or can use xylitol.(

178. Nithiya says:

OMG!!!! I just baked a batch of these….sooooooooooooooo good!! Perfect melt in your mouth kinda cookies…I can’t stop eating them!!

179. SS says:

I’m one of those freaks that doesn’t care for soft cookies–I like them crunchy, to dunk in (almond) milk. Do you have suggestions for making the cookie recipes crunchy (or at least crunchier) rather than soft? Less applesauce maybe?

Thanks, CCK, for sharing your recipes! I love them–Brownie Batter Pancakes being one of my all-time faves!!! Even our 13 year old loves them, and doesn’t even know their healthy.

1. Store cookies in a glass container for crispy cookies. Also, just bake a little longer :).
      And don’t chill the dough before baking.

180. Suzanne says:

I made these last night for a coworker who follows a vegan diet. They were a HIT with my son and husband for being so moist and flavorful.

Then the coworker was really happy with them, too. This is going into the recipe box!

181. Melissa says:

These cookies are amazing! The first vegan cookie I’ve made that doesn’t taste ‘vegan.’ 😉 I also made the Chocolate Chocolate Chip Brownie cookies and those were fabulous, ooey-gooey-chocolate-y goodness. Thank you! I’m so happy to have some vegan Christmas cookie recipes now!! :)

182. Emily says:

Another recipe success!! I had a lot of fun with this recipe and the more recent peanut butter-gingerbread-chocolate chip cookie recipe! I made a vegan PB cookie smorgasbord for my family- I made these PB cookies, but added butterscotch chips to half the batch and added chocolate chips to half the batch, then I made a half batch of the PB-gingerbread choc chips too! My family inhaled them, and my dad declared the entire assortment of flavors was the best vegan cookies I’ve ever made. My mom’s favorite was the butterscotch, my brother and sister like the PB-CC best, and I’m always biased towards anything with a hint of gingerbread! Thanks again, Katie, for yet more delicious recipes that help me make people more open minded about veganism! My family and friends have started fighting over which vegan cookies I’ve made are the best (and I think almost every single one came from your site!). :)

183. Sarah says:

We’re making these for the second time tonight! I had to do a trial run last week before I made a huge batch to giveaway for Christmas. They were delicious! We put a hershey kiss on top just like Mom used to do :) I’m really happy to have found a PB cookie recipe that wasn’t full of Crisco *YUCK* Thanks!

184. Geraldine says:

Hi, I tried these and they’re lovely, they melt in the mouth…
    I mixed some cocoa powder with some of the dough and they came out really nice.

Thanks for the recipe!

185. Lana says:

how many cookies does this recipe make?

1. This recipe will make about 12-16 cookies, depending on how big you roll them.

186. Love these! My first vegan cookie was a peanut butter one as well! I think it’s easier to start with peanut butter since it’s so sticky and holds ingredients together, much like an egg. I like adding chocolate chips and walnuts to mine :)

187. Dawn says:

These are the bomb…friends wanted the recipe, no one guessed these were vegan and healthy!!!

188. Josiane says:

OMG. I’m….. like… OMG. I think I’m in love. haha. You know when you’re JUST thinking about pranut butter cookies…. and you fall on these sooooooo teaste recepe…. I’ve done a half one. Then the others. Yummi!! But I’ve use 2 tbsp of Mapple sirop to subst. the sugar. Then I didn’t put the apple sauce because it will be too muck soft and long to cook.
    thks for these such good cookies (and excuse my very bad english^^’)

189. Niamh says:

Can you substitute the apple sauce for oil? Slightly unhealthier but I don’t know where I’d find any! Also thank you for the amazing vegan recipes, they really help me out!

1. Sorry, I’m not sure. I’ve never tried.

190. Amanda Cowan says:

I’ve been making vegan cookies a lot lately, thanks to you lady! Made these last night. Although I added some dark chocolate chips on the top and I’m not sure if they are vegan or not. Anyway they were super yummy and the 5 of us ate the whole batch! I actually cut back slightly on the sugar and added a tbls of ground flax but they still came out super yummy and chewy (cut back slightly on the sugar only because I knew we’d get sweetness from those dark choc. chips). Thanks again for a yummy winning recipe!

191. I made these and loved them! For an almost sugar free version you can sub the white sugar for unsweetened shredded coconut! They tasted delish and were still sweet enough! :)

192. sweetlimejones says:

Thank you for sharing this. I just made them and I loove the taste and texture! For fun next time i’m going to try coconut oil instead of applesauce, have any thoughts? far as amount. I only follow recipes when it comes to baking:)

193. Laura Morena says:

I just made these and they turned out great! (I used oat flour for a gluten-free cookie and cooked them a couple of extra minutes.) My two boys made them disappear in about 5 minutes! Thanks for the recipe!

194. Stephanie says:

This recipe is great! I used it to make a healthy version of the popular nutella pb cookies that are all over pinterest and they turned out soo yummy!

195. Lara says:

I’ve made these at lease five times since I found the recipe last year. Scrumptious.

196. Hannah says:

Have I ever made vegan cookies? Why are you asking me this? With your blog, who can resist making vegan cookies!

The two best things about vegan cookies, no raw eggs, and no dairy for my sister’s allergies.

197. Melissa says:

Hi there! I know this is a few years old now so I’m not sure if I’ll get a response, but I made these and they were very mushy in the centers and they flattened out to be very thin, probably a half to a third of the thickness of the wonderful delicious cookie in the picture!!

I used regular white flour and a commercial Kraft smooth peanut butter, and I double checked all the proportions exactly, so I’m not sure where I went wrong! The dough tasted absolutely delicious though, I LOVE being vegan for that purpose alone!!!

1. A says:

Hi! This also happened to me and I used the exact same ingredients (white flour, kraft smooth PB). Maybe the PB is too oily?

1. That could be. I know different brands have different consistencies. Try a natural peanut butter. I also know it works with Peter Pan, which is what I used many years ago. And be sure not to make the cookies too big, which would make them done cooking on the edges before they got a chance to cook in the middles.

198. Lisa says:

Hi Katie! I have never posted a comment before on a site but I have never loved a site as much as I love yours! I am not vegan but love to bake and am always looking for healthy alternatives. I came across your site about 2 weeks ago and have made several recipes. Each time the dessert is better and better! The funny thing is people say how delicious they are and have no clue how healthy they actually are too. Even my mother in law who is very pickey loved the chocolate chip cookie pie. My husband couldn’t wait to tell her it was made with gorbanzo beans :) Keep those awesome recipes coming. I really appreciate all of your great ideas and hard work. Today’s dessert: peanut butter cookies. YUM! B!est I ever made!

199. Jacqueline says:

I really, really LOVE the Cookies! They are sooooo nice and healthy! Perfect!
    Thank you so very much!
    And I am looking forward to more recipies!

200. Jillian says:

I love these! I managed to spread the recipe out to make 21 little cookies at 50 calories apiece. Delicious!

201. erin says:

Katie, I have made tons of different vegan cookies…and these were by FAR the most delicious! Taste guilty but totally not;)

202. Anonymous says:

This might be a silly question, but can you use whole wheat flour instead of whole wheat pastry flour? If not, what can you substitute? I really want to try this recipe but have no time to run to the grocery store!

203. Jillian Van Patten says:

Just made these after making a “regular PB cookie” recipe that came out dry, dry , dry. Didn’t have pastry WW flour so mixed regular WW flour with all purpose white (half and half) and they came out fantastic!! Can’t wait for my husband to try them…

204. Christina says:

These are sooooo good! I used xylitol in place of the sugar and they turned out great. Thanks for this recipe!

205. Vikki says:

Love that the recipes ive tried so far from this site all make small amounts. Got 12 cookies from this batch which allowed each of us to have 3. Very tasty! Glad i stumbled across this site!

206. kelly vellla riolo says:

well done!! this is the best low cal recipe i ever tried!! :)

207. lynda says:

great cookies, served these at a party several people asked me for the recipe.

208. Hi there, came across your recipe by change – I’d run out of eggs and butter! Great recipe but next time I won’t use the salt, and may even try it without the baking soda. Also I was out of vanilla extract and brown / coconut sugar so used white. I’m not a cook and discovered I should have made them smaller and put them further apart to cook! Also I cooked them for a little too long. Nevertheless they were all eaten at my friend’s BBQ yesterday. I’d most certainly try the recipe again with the vanilla and correct sugar.

Well done!

Caroline xx

209. Dee says:

3 Tablespoons of flour??????

Interestingly there is another recipe on the web that is exactly like yours right to the 3T flour only it says “organic” before every ingredient.

210. Carrie says:

I almost ate the dough before I could bake the cookies! Amazing!

211. Kayla says:

Hey Katie,

These cookies are amazing! I substituted an 1/8 cup of stevia instead of a whole 1/4 cup sugar and they turned out really well!

212. Leighton says:

I just made these in honor of National Peanut Butter Cookie Day! I made these into four mini cookies with chocolate chips and they were ohh so good :) Thanks for the recipe, Katie!

213. Kylie says:

I just made these and they are pretty good. I really love finding alternative ways to cook the everyday foods.

214. Sarah says:

I tried these and they were really good, but they turned out flat. I’m not sure why…

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

It sounds like you made them too big maybe? Try reading through her Troubleshooting page:
      Hopefully that can help!

215. Erin says:

I just made these with my son…and we forgot the vanilla!! Darn it. But they are still really good! I ate two already. Next time I will not forget because I imagine it makes these so much better..if that’s possible!

216. Shirihan says:

I just made these today, using oat flour. They were DELICIOUS!! Thank you so much for the recipe!

217. Lizzie says:

Hi can i use whole wheat flour or almond flour for this recipe? (:

218. Cara says:

Just baked these delicious babies today! They are absolutely mouth-watering! My teeth sink right into and melt away these beautiful cookies! Sprinkled a few crushed pecans on top, a very nice match. Thank you so much.

219. Mary says:

Really good cookies. We don’t normally use wheat flours, and we are vegan. These cookies turned out so good, some of the best I’ve had in a while. Thanks.

220. Molly says:

Excellent easy recipie with no added oils and simple ingredients!! I also could not believe there was only 3 TBS of flour but went with it since your other recipes have never failed me. I tripled it , used Bobs WW pastry flour and cut the sugar to 1/3 cup for the entire batch. I really dislike very sweet cookies so you might want use more like 2/3 cup if you go this route. I pressed a few vegan choc chips on top and baked for 8-9 min depending on the size of the cookie ball. They turned out AWESOME. Light cakey texture inside with a crisp exterior. I might add cinnamon and a few TBL of molasses next time. THANK YOU Katie!!!!

221. Winter says:

Just made these and they were AMAZING! Thanks Katie! But I wanted to change it up a bit so I made one giant cookie and then cut it up into slices when it was done. I had to bake it about 10 minutes longer though, due to its larger mass and such ;D but everyone LOVED it and my mother didn’t even know it was vegan!

222. heather says:

they turned out amazing! thanx for this amazing site

223. These have been my go- to for quick, easy, absolutely delicious (“doesn’t taste vegan”) cookies. Whether they’re for a friend’s birthday or thanking someone for a ride, these cookies are a big hit among all audiences. Once again, love, love the simplicity and straightup goodness of your recipes! :)

224. Liz Kashuba says:

Hi, I just want to share how much I love your blog! I tried a vegan diet for almost 4 months earlier this year and used your recipes to fill my desire for something sweet but healthy! Anyway, I plan on featuring/adapting this recipe on my blog Hope you don’t mind. I give you credit for the original recipe and have a link to your website. Thank you!

225. Shanna says:

OMG these taste exactly how I remember peanut butter cookies tasting before i was vegan. These are amazing!! and my non vegan boyfriend loved them too. Thank you so much Katie…. my dessert guru!!! <3

226. Tried the peanut butter cookie recipe. They were so tasty everyone was impressed they were vegan. I will make them often.

227. amy says:

YUM! AMAZING! I made really big cookies (think they could still be bigger LOL) and I only got 5 out of the whole batch. I’ll have to double the recipe next time, hehe :)

228. erin says:

I Just Love Peanut Butter Cookies there my Favourtie thing to eat love it so much

229. Alex says:

Should we grease the baking pan?

1. No need, but you can if you wish.

230. Jenice Carey says:

These cookies came out lovely! I have been a vegetarian for quite some time, and try to avoid using certain products in desserts. Thank you for such a fantastic recipe!.

I also used less Torani Vanilla syrup instead of the recommended amount of Vanilla extract, made the cookies sweet but just sweet enough :)

231. Christina D says:

My 3 year old and I just put a bunch of these in the oven. They smell delicious! My son enjoyed licking the rest of the dough out of the bowl, haha.

232. Alastair says:

Am I over thinking this? “If you want soft cookies, fridge the dough for at least an hour. Then bake in a preheated oven (350F) for 8 minutes. They’ll look underdone when you take them out, but that’s ok. Let cool for at least 5 minutes before removing from tray.” What if you want crisp or less soft cookies? Is the procedure the same? Thanks. AB.

1. Don’t refrigerate the dough, and store in a glass container.

233. Gabby says:

Wow, these are tremendous!!!!!

234. Kathleen says:

Can you use baking powder instead of baking soda?

235. Monique says:

OMG! I made these and I fell in love with them! But i didn’t have applesauce but I did have a tin of peaches which had peach juice in it and they tasted great!

236. Kathy Glynn says:

These are so delicious!!! The best peanut butter cookies I’ve ever had!! I made these cookies this weekend and my daughter ate ALL of them, so I didn’t have any left to share with the other people in my family and since they were so good, I just decided to make two extra batches 😀

237. Rizi says:

I made a few adjustments but it literally tastes like resee’s pieces!

238. Kelly says:

These cookies were delicious!!!

239. Tracey says:

I made these today as a Blossom cookie with a piece of dark chocolate pressed into the middle as they came out of the over, yummy!

240. Jamie says:

These cookies are great! Best vegan cookies I’ve made :)

241. Jennifer says:

I made these for a cookie exchange and I have to say they really tasted awesome! My husband says they were the best he’s tasted and my kids loved them. Always good to have a great vegan cookie. Thanks for the recipe. :)

242. Katherine says:

Thanks so much, Katie. I made these for Christmas! I used crunchy peanut butter. yum. I used 2 tbsp of white unblanched flour and 1 tbsp whole wheat flour. if i were to make them for myself, I would have used all whole wheat flour and reduced the sugar to just the 1/4 cup, but they are for my family. My mom loved them, especially because they only used one bowl! My brother likes them! Yay! Do you happen to have/know of a Spritz cookie recipe that is healthy? Thanks. oh I made your snowball cookies earlier. so delicious.

1. I don’t… but maybe you could use my sugar cookie dough in a spritz machine? I’ve never actually tried it…

243. Steph R. says:

Made these for my vegan sister. Really easy to make and taste great! I froze mine and kept bread on them to keep them super soft. Thanks!!

244. christy Moss says:

I love this recipe. My husband & grandson can’t stop eating them.

245. Erin says:

Wow! I am a die-hard, seriously dedicated peanut butter fan who was a bit skeptical of these cookies just bc of the minimal amount of flour. I was really, really wrong. In fact, these could be my all-time favorite PB cookies! I’ve been a vegetarian for over eight years, and I’ve begun dipping my feet into veganism. These are just another reason that vegan is an amazing way to live and still enjoy your traditional treats!

PS My hubby was never a huge fan of pb cookies, and he went back for multiple cookies. There’s your proof!

246. Corinne says:

These are absolutely amazing! There’s no apple sauce taste to it and they rich with PB flavor. I chilled the dough for an hour before baking. I will definitely be adding these into my recipe book. Thank you!

247. Tabitha says:

These cookies are amazing!!! They’re my procrastibaking indulgence when I have an assignment due. Honestly the best cookies!! After you make these once, they become a regular on your to-do list. :)

248. Abigail Suter says:

These are absolutely delightful! Just took them out of the oven and had my first one after 10 mins of cooling.

I’ve only been vegan for a month (veggie for 4 years) and I can honestly say that these are the best cookies I’ve ever eaten, vegan or not.

Only thing would be that I bought apple sauce from the supermarket and didn’t realise it was a chunky one. I sat picking all the bits out of the cookie mix when I realised!

249. Jamie says:

I tried these today and my husband and I both liked em! I used banana instead of apple sauce, couldn’t even tell. And I put dark chocolate chunks in mine. I will say that I would reduce the sugar a little, maybe just by 1tbs of the white. And the ones that I let cool on the cookie sheet did set up better. I came out with only nine cookies, so I think I’ll double it next time. And there will be a next time!

250. Amy says:

Well for some reason I always end up with only 5 cookies and not 12-16. Guess I like my cookies big, lol!

1. Crystal says:

Mine ended up being about eight haha. I had to make extra batches!

251. Crystal says:

I made the single lady peanut butter cookie on Wednesday and loved it so much I’m making a big batch for a birthday party tonight. Thank you :)

252. Erin says:

Is the dough supposed to be crumbly? I followed the recipe exactly and doubled it. I can’t see that being an issue. I was able to form a ball with my hands but not flatten them with fork or they would fall apart. They didn’t end up flattening out during baking but they taste really good though!

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

No, it should be the texture of cookie dough. See CCK’s troubleshooting FAQ page for help on possible issues :-) Here’s the link:

253. Marilyn says:

These are wonderful and so simple, thank you! I used a GF premixed flour blend and chocolate chips. My dough was a bit too runny for shaping into balls so I added another tablespoon of flour and used spoons to put them on the cookie sheet.

I also like that it doesn’t make too many cookies so I’m not tempted to eat so many!
    I would definitely make these again and highly recommend them.

254. Hi Katie, I tried these using almond butter and the cookies came out flatter than flat. Suggestions? Yours looked so nice and thick.

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

See Katie’s recipe FAQ page at the top of the blog. It has troubleshooting info :-)

255. Grace says:

FAVOURITE COOKIE RECIPE EVER! made a double batch which went in an instant – my whole family adored them! have had to send the recipe around to lots of friends too!
    would definitely recommend chilling in the fridge for an awesome bake.

256. Sarah says:

These taste great but they are super soft. I baked for 20 minutes and cooled for 1 hour but they break when I try to get them off the pan. What went wrong?

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Have you checked out Katie’s FAQ page? There is a troubleshooting section on the page. Please read through it, then report back with more specific ingredient information, as it is impossible to tell you otherwise what you might’ve done wrong.

257. Audrey says:

I just made a batch of these heavenly cookies. I have been vegan for a few months and have only been eating fruits and veggies, not much cooking. I stumbled across your name countless amounts of times on Instagram. Everyone raved about your recipes. I decided to try this one, I followed the directions and they came out perfectly! Thank you!!

258. Nicole says:

These cookies are delicious! They are THE best vegan cookies I have made thus far.

259. vee says:

so glad i came by your website! i am making these tonight and cant’t wait to bring them to work tomorrow to show them off! thanks for sharing your recipes =) xx V

260. Brit says:

Delicious. The only negative thing I have to say about these cookies is that they never last long :)

261. Cory says:

Could all coconut sugar be used??

262. Safina says:

I just made the dough last night and refrigerated it overnight. Then I baked them in the morning and they came out ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS!!! Thanks soooo much for this recipe, Katie! My whole family loved them and I had to make another batch (in the fridge right now) because we scarfed down almost all of them! Oh and my batter made 19 cookies btw.

263. Rita says:

These look great- but I can’t seem to find the actual recipe! For some reason it seems to not be showing up :(

264. Meredith says:

YUM! Katie, I just tried these cookies after I found the recipe in your new cookbook (which is amazing, by the way!) – I’m not sure how I overlooked it on the blog! My only problem with your book is that I can’t immediately read comments and comment myself on the recipes, but lucky for me this one was here:) These are so amazing! I’m partial to your oatmeal almond butter cookies, which I have made countless times, but this recipe will rival it. Thanks!

265. Paj says:

Sorry, forgot to mention that I did refrigerate the dough before baking for about 2 hours.

266. Mia says:

Thanks so much for this recipe. I usually don’t like recipes that use applesauce as a substitute because of the cakey like texture. But this one was delicious. Even my 2.5 year old daughter that doesn’t like peanut butter unless it’s straight from the jar. She just ate 3 of them. Made exactly per your directions with the exception I added cinnamon.

267. Jordyn Senger says:

YUM these are so good! I just made some and I am NEVER going back to my old recipes 😀

268. Sandrine says:

Hi Katie !
    I follow your blog from years and today finally tried this recipe, with hazelnut butter and added chocolate chips. I loved the result and wish to translate your recipe in french on my blog and convert measurements in grams, for French readers to be able to make and enjoy it. Would you agree ? (of course I would explain this recipe is yours and add the link to this post)
    Thanks a lot for your blog !

269. Casey says:

Made these tonight. Added chocolate chips and they were delicious!

270. Carol says:

Is the amount of flour correct? 3 tables? How many cookies does this make?

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Yup! It’s correct! It makes a small batch, so feel free to double.

271. Cupcake says:

On your very recent post of no bake peanut butter balls – why is baking soda (or was it baking powder?) included?

1. Lisa says:

I’m not Katie of course but I do know from other recipes that the baking soda in no-bake recipes can be for flavor.

272. Nicole says:

I just made these cookies and they are amazing. My husband (non-vegan) and I (vegan) loved them! I followed the recipe except for adding local grade b maple syrup for the vanilla (no vanilla on hand). I made 12 cookies and we just finished eating 6 (3 each). Thank you for the easy and flavorful cookies!

273. Lisa says:

They are baking in the oven right now. The cookie dough is AMAZING. Yum! We doubled the recipe and it is making 18 cookies. I recommend at least doubling this so you can enjoy as much of the dough as possible. :-) Thanks, Katie!

274. Ginger says:

These were so good, everyone loved them! Though I have to admit, they were very sticky and cakey. Next time, I might try oatmeal almond butter cookies for firmer cookies.