Hot Chocolate Cookies

Someone take this bottle of chocolate syrup away from me.

It’s getting out of control.

hot chocolate cookies

Really out of control.

Imagine: Cookies that taste like hot chocolate!

Melting slowly in your mouth like a truffle.

Like a rich, chocolatey truffle. And yet these hot chocolate cookies are healthier than you could ever imagine, with absolutely no added sugars. I think my dreams are made of these chocolate cookies.

Is it bedtime yet?

hot chocolate cookie

(Above, little balls of hot chocolate, waiting to jump into the oven… and then into my mouth!!)

Hot Chocolate Cookies

Loosely inspired by this popular recipe.

• 1 cup spelt flour or all-purpose (120g) (See below link for gluten-free option)
  • 2 T cocoa powder (or hot cocoa mix)
  • packed 1/4 cup pitted dates (45g)
  • scant 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 cup chocolate chips (170g)
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 3-4 T unrefined coconut oil

In a food processor, blend first five ingredients until dates are finely pulverized. In a separate bowl, combine vanilla, oil, and 3/4 c of the chocolate chips. Melt (I microwaved 1 minute, then stirred). Pour the dry ingredients, as well as the remaining 1/4 cup of chocolate chips, into the wet. Stir until evenly mixed, making sure to break up any big clumps. It’ll seem dry at first, but keep stirring until it all looks dark and shiny. Bake at 355 F for 7-8 minutes. (Take out when still undercooked, as these continue to cook as they cool.)  Note: I like Sunmaid dates, because they’re softer and less dry than traditional dates you find in health food stores. Your dough might be a little drier if you use other dates. It’s ok: just add a tiny bit more oil to compensate.

See the following link for a Gluten-Free Option.

How to store the leftovers: Leftovers? You’re funny! Winking smile

cc4

I broke in my new apron for making these cookies, a surprise gift from my host (Servint) after I won the Foodbuzz “Best Baking Blog” award.

By the way, if you ever find that your blog traffic has outgrown shared hosting, I highly recommend Servint for dedicated servers. The people there are knowledgeable and friendly—and they’re very patient with technologically-challenged bloggers like me! (Servint managers, if you’re reading this, Renzo and Russ deserve a raise. They’re the best!)

Full-size view:

cc4

P.S. I love how my hair looks when it’s curled, but I hate doing it. Can someone please invent a perm that gives you waves instead of frizz? (I got a perm once… yuck.)

Question of the Day:

Do you remember your dreams?

If I try to remember one as soon as I wake up, I usually can. But if someone asks me during the day what I dreamed about, I’ll usually have no clue. However, if I dreamed about these cookies, I bet I’d remember that! Mmmm hot chocolate dreams…

Want even more chocolate? Try my Frozen Hot Chocolate.

Tags: , , , ,

1. Silly! Who has leftover cookies (unless they overcook them and load them full of nasty stuff).

Hot chocolate cookies? Sign me up! I’ve told myself I’m only going to make ONE batch of cookies this year – and I’ve yet to decide what it will be. Maybe I’ll make two 1/2 batches instead.

So many cookies… so little time!

2. Frances says:

Nom. Mmm These look amazing!
    Have you ever thought about making a special vegan hot chocolate recipie for these cold winter days?
    🙂

1. I should! I will put it at the top of my list, Frances! 🙂

3. Amelia says:

Yuuum, I just might have to try these.

You should look into a permanent-wave; it’s different from a perm in that it uses larger rods.

4. Amelia says:

Also, do you have any pictures of them after baking?

1. I do… lol they were AWFUL to photoshoot. It was an ugly day and my lighting was so bad. But if you want them, I can email some of the rejects to you!

I really wanted to do a re-shoot, but I also wanted to get the recipe up before Christmas. 😕
      (The first photo in this post is of them cooked, but I know it’s not very clear.)

5. Crystal says:

They already did its called a digital perm … it gives soft bouncy beach waves an no frizz! my stylists raves about it!! I get the yuko system done on my hair (because its curly and i want straight) and my stylists always recommend the digital perm if I ever want to go back to curly without waiting for it to grow out!

6. Amelia says:

And also sorry, I don’t have any coconut oil.. all I have is canola or vegetable. Could I get away with canola oil?

1. I’m not sure… I think they’d work but the taste would be different. If you try it, let me know how they taste!!

7. Sarah says:

Katie, you are beautiful! This might sound like a weird q, but have you ever thought about modeling?

1. Sarah says:

Oh, and I will take a dozen of those cookies!

8. My boyfriend LOVES hot cocoa- I think these might have to make it into his stocking 🙂

9. Megan says:

I always thought a cookie that tasted like hot chocolate would be good. I bet it would be good with marshmallows inside too (less healthy though). This recipe looks great because lately I have been craving chocolate like no other! Regarding my dreams, I usually remember them. Does this mean that I woke up in the middle of REM? Who knows, there are so many dream theories out there! My dreams are always weird involving random people and imaginative happenings. Does that say something about me?! 🙂

10. Sarah the official CCK drooler says:

I know there are a lot of Sarahs out there, hey what can i say, we’re the popular crowd – Just kidding. But i doubt they all drool, hehe. Anyway, i dream of the SAME thing every. single. night. Guess who? The Biebs. Ohh yes. of course, he comes in different situations, but believe me, he’s there. No wonder i sleep so long. Who wants to wake up to reality? 🙂 Have a great day!

11. I got a perm once, where they used chemicals! The hair was kind of frizzy for the first couple of days, but after that, it was perfect! Maybe you’re using an unsuitable method to perm your hair due to your hair type.

12. jamie says:

I have a bunch of dates I need to use up ASAP- this looks like the perfect excuse 🙂

13. Veganish says:

Yum, these look incredible!

14. wow these look incredible! and i know what you mean… i have to make new raw chocolate evry other day because i keep scarfing it all down haha!

15. Lena says:

Oh man… these look amazing! Seconding the question about subbing with canola oil, since I have no coconut oil. 🙁

And now that I think about it, I used to remember all my dreams but that actually hasn’t happened in quite a while… or at least not during the weekdays. Maybe when I wake up naturally (w/o an alarm clock) I do, but I’m not even sure! Aww. Remembering good dreams is awesome.

1. They’d probably work… but I can’t vouch for the taste. If you try them, do let me know how they taste!

1. Caroline says:

I just made them with canola oil, and it works very well! These are delicious, and probably the best recipe I’ve tried yet from your site!

16. Gastón says:

Everything (including you) looks lovely!!

As regards the hair, there already exists a way to have more or less permanent waves. They apply the same products as they do when they straighten hair, but instead of flat ironing it, they wave it. It lasts more or less 4 months

17. Tiffany says:

Yoou are so pretty!!
    Those look delish, and I will Try these after I try hot choc truffles that I found, all you do is drop them into milk and it’s hot cocoa! 🙂

1. I saw that on pinterest! It definitely looks like a fun idea!

18. Isn’t it great when people hekp us with our tech troubles? I am certianly challenged in that area, as well. 😉

I can’t make those cookies. I mean, if I did, I’d eat the whole batch. So I should make them? Yeah, I should.

19. amazing Katie!! I love how addicted you are to chocolate – just like me 🙂

20. Christie says:

The apron is SO cute on you! I love that it looks a little ‘retro’, too. Keep up the GREAT work on your blog. I read it every day, and really enjoy seeing the latest recipes, every time you post…