Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

(Sugar-Free!) powdered sugar

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow…

sugar free powdered sugar

Is it snowing where you are?

As usual, Dallas weather doesn’t know what it wants to do. So it vacillates from 25 to 75 and back again. Shorts one day, fleece pants the next. Always on our toes.

No snow here yet, but I do have white powder of a different sort: sugar-free powdered sugar. (Oxymoron?)

Every Christmas for as long as I can remember, my mom has made multiple batches of pixie cookies (the little chocolate crinkle cookies, dusted with powdered sugar). Last month I decided it was time to try creating a healthier, vegan version of those crowd-friendly chocolate pixies. In my quest to “healthify” the recipe, I landed on an article describing how to turn Splenda into powdered sugar. This got me to thinking, “If you can do it with Splenda, why not with other sweeteners?”

So I tried it, first with Sucanat and then with Xylitol. Both times, it worked!

vegan powdered sugar

Sugar-Free Powdered Sugar

A new addition to: Over 200 Healthy & Sugar-Free Recipes.

• 1 cup xylitol or Sucanat (It’s 100% sugar-free if you use xylitol. This technique works with regular sugar too, or evaporated cane juice or even brown sugar. So if you find yourself in the middle of baking something and you run out of powdered sugar, just make your own!)
  • optional 1-2 tsp arrowroot or cornstarch, to prevent clumping when stored

Whir the ingredients in a blender. (I used a Vita-Mix.) It’ll smoke a little, but that’s ok. You should have powdered sugar in a matter of seconds! I guess it’s actually too simple to really even be called a “recipe.”

Healthy Glaze Icing:

Combine 1 cup of the above powdered sugar with 1 1/2 tbsp milk of choice and 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract. Use in place of regular powdered sugar icing, on cookies or cupcakes, etc.

I haven’t tried baking with the xylitol version, but you can definitely use it to sprinkle on anything you’d normally sprinkle with powdered sugar:

Such as the above: Cinnamon Roll Baked Oatmeal.

But like I said, I didn’t use the powdered sugar for oatmeal; it was used for Chocolate Pixie Cookies. Hopefully I can get that post up soon… I need to make more cookies first, because the Christmas ones all disappeared before I had a chance to snap a photo!

[adthrive_ad id='ChocolateCoveredKatie_Below_Post_600x250_300x250' center='1']
Tags: , , , , , ,

1. awesome!

i’d love to see granola bars!

2. KATIE – you talking about the Dallas weather reminded me to tell you that I just accepted a job down here so I’ll be staying Dallas instead of moving back to St. Louis as originally planned. I know you live a little outside the city but we have to find a time to do a meet-up or dinner somewhere!
    Also my best friend is seriously your biggest fan.
    <3 Clare

3. Neat! This is a great invention!

4. Cool! This is seriously a smart idea! I love how you get so inspired by the regular things to make something really great!
    ….Granola bars! :)

5. jenn a. says:

I was actually going to ask you how to do sugar free powdered sugar, thank you so much!

6. Coooooookies, please!! I’ve been craving cookies for the past 4 days and only have the time to make them today. So, more cookies would just be delightful! lol

7. Cammy says:

I vote for granola bars!

8. jenn a. says:

p.s. where does one find this sucant or xylitol?

1. Whole Foods… or any health food store :).

2. SP says:

Xylitol is fatal to dogs & cats, so please be vigilant about keeping it away from them.

9. jolene says:

I vote for granola bars!! But I’d also be interested in a good frosting… Thanks!

1. jolene says:

apparently I didn’t write “cream cheese” frosting.

10. Beth says:

Granola bars!!

11. Julia says:

Granola bars, please!

12. Interesting! I bet powdered sucanat tastes much better than regular powdered sugar 😛 And granola bars all the way

13. Jade C says:

Oohh, well seeing as you have a lot of cookie recipes already on here, some granola bars would be great :).

1. Jade C says:

P.S – I do this with Coconut Sugar and it works great.
      P.P.S – Do YOU personally use Xylitol?? I’ve been avoiding it as I’ve heard it has a negative effect on the body :S.

1. Melissa says:

What negative effects? I’ve only read good things about Xylitol. It helps prevent cavities, etc. It’s got an interesting cooling effect in your mouth when eaten, so I’d probably mix it with another sweetener like Stevia to cut that back a bit.

The only negative I’ve heard is it’s very toxic to dogs. But so is chocolate!

1. And raisins! Poor dogs ;).

Jade: I don’t honestly know much about xylitol. I picked it up out of curiosity, because I know a lot of my readers appreciate sugar-free options in my recipes… so I thought I’d play around with it a little to experiment. But really, I haven’t used it for much besides this yet.

1. katie r says:

i think it can cause GI distress like bloating and gas

2. I have heard that it can cause loose bowels if too much is consumed. I have been having mega GI issues lately and my ND asked if I use artificial sweeteners or xylitol.

3. Trish says:

It can, and will, in some people, those who are sensitive to it. But this isn’t necessarily the case for everyone. I also have a VERY sensitive stomach and GI track, but I’ve never, ever had an issue with xylitol. I love it. I bake cakes with it (although I’ll usually combine it with raw cane sugar or something else natural like coconut palm, even honey…) and use it for other things.
            I’m happy to see this ‘recipe’ for the powdered sugar. :-) A local store here sells it also, but it contains erythritol and tastes awful. Waaaayyyy too sweet and has that distinct ‘sugar alcohol’ taste to is whereas xylitol alone tastes more like granulated sugar, just not as rich.

4. Jade C says:

Thank you everyone for your replies before!! I decided last .inth to give Xylitol a go, and am seemingly fine with it :). We only have one brand here, XyloBrit – anyone else recommend another brand, I’ll look online!! Also, does anyone else in the UK have advice for which online health store to buy from?? I’ve been using iHerb as love their range, but shipping is soooo expensive!! Have checked out Goodness Direct already, but am not really impressed by what they have to offer.. Advice would be really appreciated!! 😀
            Jade C

5. Jacque Foster says:

I am addicted to “Xylitol Plus” which is half Xylitol, half Stevia. Alone, Stevia is too sweet for me; Xylitol is too bitter. Brilliantly, this company combined the two, and for every one of Katie’s recipes where she calls for a packet of Stevia, I sub in a packet of Xylitol Plus. The brand is NOW. I buy it at Whole Foods or a local health food store, but I know it’s available online. I drink a packet a day, at least, in my cup of hot tea. No GI issues for me. (I think that may happen when someone has made a batch of something, like cookies, and since they think of as “fat free” they eat the entire batch. And then they want to blame the ingredients for their stomach upset! ha!

6. RE says:

I’m interested in what you describe… But I’m so against using anything not 100% natural esp if my son (toddler) will be eating it!!

For now I’m learning to bake with all coconut sugar and I’ve also gotten sugar made from dates and maple syrup too.

Definitely against Splenda!

2. Katie says:

Xylitol Is fatal for dogs. More so than chocolate. Xylitol poisoning in dogs has been on the increase since 2002. So dog owners should be highly aware

14. I think that is amazing that sucanat turns white! I’m so anxious to try it! You are a genius!

1. Sorry for the confusion. The photos are of the xylitol one.

15. teabagginit says:

i definitely have to vote for the granola bars. ever since i started this sugar-free detox, i haven’t had a granola bar – would really love to see a sugar free version!

16. Kinsey says:

Oh boy!! I think “make puppy chow” will be on my to do list for today. I think I might use instead of regular peanut butter too YUMM!

1. You MUST tell me how it turns out!!

!! :)

17. Andrea B. says:

Granola bars all the way!!

18. Jocelyn says:

Cookies! all the way Cookies!

19. Sara u says:

20. I. Definitely going to try this–thanks! Do you know what the ratio is? I.e if you need a cup of powdered sugar how much xylitol do you start with?

1. SP says:

Xylitol is fatal to dogs & cats. Please be vigilant about keeping it away from them.

21. michelle says:

Granola bars please

22. Sarah says:

Granola bars… 😀 I think this might win.

23. So cool! I’ve seen this done with sucanat, now there are more options! And I vote for granola bars :)

24. Aja says:

That is so interesting.
    I hate making decisions, too. It’s hard.

25. Wow! I thought this only works with regular sugar. Great to see that it works with sugar free sweeteners too! 😀

26. HI Katie, I just tried to make it but its not white yet? I used a 3/4 c. of sucanat because I didn’t have a cups worth left and I’m up to 3 tsp of corn starch so far. Any ideas? Its a light tan color.

27. LizAshlee says:

Wow, I had no idea you could make your own!

28. Oh Katie granola bars please! I tried to make some today but they just crumbled and turned into granola :C

29. Powdered brown sugar is TO DIE FOR. Really. It is.

30. I never knew sucatant was sugar free, interesting! I made chocolate crinkle cookies over the holidays and they were sooo easy and flourless. Love a simple recipe like crinkle cookies.

1. Melissa says:

It’s not. Sucanat IS sugar. The name actually stands for SUgar CAne NATural. It’s a less processed sugar but it’s still cane sugar. So, the name of the recipe is actually a inaccurate (sorry Katie). Sucanate is just whole cane sugar without the good stuff all removed.

1. Melissa: If you use the xylitol option, it’s sugar-free.

31. Just found your blog….I’d have to say COOKIES! :)

32. Alan Kleesattel says:

Just a FYI for some poeple;
    I’ve had success in the past using a MagicBullet with the FLAT blade like when grinding coffee beans, it works great. (I’ve only used the small cup before but any would be fine I would assume.

(Katie – I have some questions about Coconut Oil, I’ll most likely be sending you another comment sometime soon)

Thanks for the continuing great recipes!

33. All the opportunities! Thank you so much for this recipe!

34. Lori Z. says:

Granola bars. I love making bars for my kids to take for snacks.

35. Erin says:

Cookies cookies cookies!

36. Katie says:

I’ve ALWAYS wondered if there was a healthy alternative to powdered sugar – I should have known to come to you! :-)

37. Erin says:

Cool! Great idea. :) I vote cookies!

38. Taylor says:

39. Lexi says:

Tough choice but I vote for granola bars!

40. Stephanie says:

More granola please.

41. Paula says:

More granola please!!

42. Granola bars! and that’s so cool, I didn’t know you could make powdered sugar!

43. hahah this post completely intrigued me!

44. How inventive! I would love a granola bar recipe! :)

45. That’s great – I hope you can cook with them because I just saw a recipe for brownies I’d love to try but it required a ton of powdered sugar!!

Let’s see the cookies, I am such a cookie fiend!

46. Brooke says:

Hi katie! Love reading your blog and can safely say i have eaten (and loved!) almost all of your recipes! Shame on me that this is my first time leaving a comment! I would love to see granola bars
    and am always looking for new ways to make them!
    Hope all is well! Brooke

1. Aww hi Brooke!

*Waves like a crazy girl* :)

47. beccky says:

ive been looking for a sugar-free method for this for a while. i really want to sugarproof frosting without compromising on texture.

love your posts, as always!

48. amanda moon says:

Thanks for popping over to say “hi” last week! I would love to see granola bars tomorrow, I’m looking for some healthy recipes for the kiddos.

49. Cool idea!

Funny when you said your Vitamix smoked a little. One of the very first times I ever used my Vitamix, I was making raw vegan brownies and the batter was so thick and dense, my Vita started smoking and overheated.

50. Christina says:

This is such a great idea! I am excited to use this to make sugar free frostings and so much more. I recently stumbled across your blog and your given me hope that I can incorporate delicious desserts into a healthy diet (when fruit just won’t cut it) without sacrificing nutrition. I am loving it, thanks!!

And I vote for granola bars, if you can healthify granola you will be a total food goddess :)

51. Sondra says:

This post would’ve been amazing before the holiday season. I still remember the tireless hours online trying to find a sugar free royal icing recipe for our family’s gingerbread house to no avail. I finally gave in and used real sugar and declared it “decoration only.” (I try my best to keep my 15 month old girls from too much sweet stuff so they won’t develop mommy’s horrendous cravings for desserts, kind of difficult though when all you want to bake is cookies, cakes, and quickbreads, lol.) And granola bars please!

52. Karen says:

Granola bars!

53. Susie says:

Powdered sugar has never looked so cute!

I’d love to see a granola bar recipe… especially one I can make in large quantities to send with Mr. Susie for his work snacks 😀

54. Jennifer says:

granola bars! My sister tried making them a few weeks ago because her boyfriend doesn’t eat “baked goods” (i.e., cookies, cakes, bread…). Well, the granola bars she made were more like granola crumbles. I think we need Katie to come to the rescue!

55. Paula says:

Xylitol? Gosh I guess it’s ok — I was in a vegan restaurant a few weeks ago and ordered the cappuccino at the end and it was sweet. I asked what they put in it and they said xylitol. I was shocked, thinking it wasn’t good … like mannitol in diabetic products which I think can give you diahrrea. I guess xylitol is becoming more common-place now?

56. bitt says:

I do this all the time with coconut crystals, but it’s brownish. Still tasty.

57. we have made our own powder sugar before in the past, but never thought about using it with other sugars! thanks for the idea

58. Kristin says:

A Granola Bar recipe with NO coconut!!! …..or cookies :)

59. Diane says:

Cookies! Cookies make me happy. :-)

60. Jeanna says:

Granola bars please!!!

61. lisa says:

granola bars please

62. auntiecarole says:

Cookies please!

63. monica says:

Granola bars! Gluten free! Please.

64. Amber K says:

Cookies are my absolutely favorite dessert, so of course I have to go with those.

And I hate buying powdered sugar, so I always make it myself. I agree it doesn’t even really feel like a “recipe,” but it’s definitely something more people need to know!

65. I put Splenda on my food processor before to make powdered sugar, but never thought to add cornstarch!. Thanks for the idea!
    I vote for granola.bars:)

66. Melissa says:

Hmmm… that gives me an idea – using the xylitol version for lemon coolers! Xylitol already has a cooling feel in your mouth when you eat it, so it would be perfect for lemon coolers. :) Now, if I just had a recipe for the “cookie” part of the lemon coolers…… I guess my vote is cookies!!!!

67. Paula says:

Xylitol? Gosh I guess it’s ok then — I was in an organic vegan restaurant a few weeks ago and ordered the cappuccino at the end and it was sweet. I asked what they put in it and they said xylitol. I was shocked, thinking it wasn’t good … like mannitol in diabetic products which I think can give you diahrrea. I guess xylitol is becoming more common-place now?

1. I think it is… it’s always been used in gum. But honestly I haven’t really used it much except for this “recipe.”

68. merry says:

cookies! always cookies :) lol

69. Emilie says:

Granola bars! I have actually wondered for long time when you would put up a granola bar recipe 😀

70. Michaela says:

those pictures are amazing! I love purple!
    And I love homemade powdered sugar :)

71. Cathy says:

granola bars- with no coconut, golden syrup, molasses or treacle..maple syrup possibly.

i’m so picky but they have to be just right! xx

never used or really heart of suncanat, im in england that’s prob. why!

72. Cookies next please! I’m still addicted to the secret pb ones; made more with coconut and some with cashew butter today and they’re both delicious :-)

73. Kit-Kat says:

Here in Washington State, we had a state of emergency issued out because we had so much snow. We were snowed in for the whole week, and it is only NOW starting to melt. Let’s just say me and my siblings built a lot of snowmen! :-) I love snow, but after a while, I get stir crazy. Plus, you can’t play in the snow when you lose power, because when you come inside from the cold, you can’t get warmed up again. Oh well. Thankfully we were fortunate to only lose power for a little bit, but many (like my grandparents in Pualup, a little further than Seattle,) were out for a few days from the snow-laden trees that fell, and from freezing rain.
    Yum! I love powdered suger, especially on french toast. I’ll admit I used to (and sometimes stil do) mix powdered sugar with cocoa powder,add a drop or two of soymilk and a few tablespoons of water, stir, and eat (it’s like icing!) :-)
    I vote for cookie-like bars, so we can get the best of both worlds. I have a great idea! Why not make a version of the Kid Clif “Z” bars, like Chocolate Chip or Brownie? I think that would go over VERY well! 😉

1. Trish says:

YES! I second the Z Bar Brownie suggestion… I am addicted to those! It would be nice to have a home-made alternative :)

1. Kit-Kat says:

I love how they are so sweet…. when in reality, they’re totally healthy! I even saw they made a new oatmeal cookie flavor, too! :-)

74. Malia says:

Granola bars! YUM! Would it be possible to do it sugar free like with stevia, maple syrup, honey or molasses? Cuz I don’t eat any sugar, not even sucanat:)

1. Xylitol is completely sugar-free.
      (Also, isn’t sucanat just dried molasses? LOL sorry if I’m wrong… I always thought it was!)

75. KellyB says:

I vote for Granola Bars.

76. Nathalie says:

Granola bars sound intriguing! So that’s what Imma vote for ^_^

Question for ya, Katie: Have you ever posted a recipe for a vegan pie crust? I don’t recall you doing so but I thought I should ask. And if you haven’t, I humbly request you put your vegan genius to the task. I had a “pudding and a movie” night this weekend; I served your banana bread and your cookie pie, both well-received. But we’re gonna do it again next weekend, and I want to do your fudge pie. The problem is that there are NO prepared pie crusts to be had in Japan, as far as I know D=

If you don’t have a recipe but know another way to get around it (besides crustless, I think my guests need some kind of crust-y element), lemme know! Thanks for all the awesome recipes, as always!

1. I know there are some good pie crust recipes out there! The only ones I have would be to do something like use my Cashew Cookie Baby recipe (or PB Cookie Dough Cookies) crumbled up and pressed into a pie pan as a crust.

2. Alan Kleesattel says:

I saw your comment and while Katie has some great ideas here is another vegan blogger who has a Vegan Pie Crust, I’ve never tried it but the other things I’ve tried from HH are quite good.
      Katie, Im no the most up to date on blogger/ing etiquette, I hope its okay to post this.

1. Nathalie says:

Katie – that’s an idea. or I wonder if I could make a really thin “boatmeal” crust perhaps….

Alan – Thanks for the link! Sadly, though, graham crackers are yet another thing that aren’t to be found except in specialty foreign and import shops . I wonder if I could use Japanese rice crackers for a crust, haha.

2. Definitely, Alan! I am always SO appreciative when people respond to each others’ comments :). And also, Lindsay/happyherbivore rocks!

77. Morgan says:

Granola bars!!

78. Lecia says:

Granola bars!!!!! I’ve been searching high and low for a good granola bar recipe that is healthy and simple!

79. STUFT Mama says:

Oh my word, I’ve been wondering if something like this would work. Yay! Can I try it with Splenda? That’s all I have. I’m assuming I would use the granulated one that measures cup by cup as sugar. Love it Katie!

1. The article said that would work.

80. Molly says:

Granola bars pretty please

81. Amy says:

I guess I am confused at how using Sucanat can make this sugar-free powdered sugar because Sucanat is a minimally refined form of cane sugar (in other words, it’s sugar). Do you know something I don’t? :)

1. If you use Xylitol, it’s sugar-free.

82. BroccoliHut says:

Love your pretty purple ribbon :)

83. Jeanene says:

That is way cool!
    I would love to see granola bars.

84. Interesting…I’ve never worked with xylitol! Does it work well for baking?

85. Katie says:

I vote granola bars!

86. Nicole K. says:

This seriously blew my mind! Love it! Aaand my vote would be for granola bars :)

87. Meggan says:

I’ve never had luck with this method:( I’ve tried it before, but I guess my blender isn’t fancy enough. The sucanat just stuck to the sides of the blender and I got a tiny bit of powder, but mostly just the same sucanat I put into it…

1. Angela says:

I have the same problem with my food processor using raw sugar. The only powder I get is stuck to the processor parts. Are there any ideas on how to get it to work better?

88. Granola bars… and then cookies :)

89. roxy says:

high protein, high fiber bars that are easy to take along to class!:)

90. Can you use this powdered sugar in frosting recipes?

1. I haven’t tried it yet… I’d love to know if you try it!

91. Lori says:

Granola bars!

92. Silvi says:

What about a yummy granola recipe????

93. megan says:

Granola bars please!

94. Stephanie says:

Boo, seems like I’m outnumbered but I’ll put in my vote for the cookies anyway! Chocolate crinkles are one of my absolute favorite holiday cookies 😉

I’ve tried blending Xylitol into powdered sugar before and didn’t think to add in cornstarch/arrowroot. Needless to say the “sugar” ended up clumping together and Xylitol’s cooling effect was a bit too foreign for my tastebuds. I can’t wait to give it another go with Sucanat and this time, I won’t forget to add the thickener! Thanks Katie!

95. Anonymous says:

cookies for sureeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

96. katia says:

cookies is my vote

97. Fantastic!!! Does this work with Stevia too?

98. Fantastic!!! Does this work with Stevia or Truvia too?

99. Katharina says:

I’d like to see both!! Man, I am glad to be back and reading blogs :) I’ve missed your delicious recipes and your positivity, Katielove.

p.s. that cinnamon bun baked oatmeal looks so scrumptious!

100. hmmm…Cookies please :-) GF ones!

101. Gi says:

Cookies for sure, please!

and… I was wondering… do you by chance have a vegan version of the classic Scones?
    You know, just wondering : D

1. I don’t. I really need to work on that!

The closest thing I have is my Pecan Pie Biscuits:

1. Gi says:

Well… I’ll wait for it then!

And thanks for the Pecan link, mate! (:

102. Samantha says:

More granola bar recipes, please! :)

103. Anonymous says:

love it! … I always do:D don’t think there’s a recipe of yours I don’t love… and I haven’t yet seen anyone else with the same amount of imagination! or healthy alternatives that turn out so amazing haha! Would love to see granola bars :) xx

104. Rachel says:

105. Anonymous says:

cookies for sure!

106. Katie, I’m new to your blog so I’m not sure what Xylitol is. I get that it’s a sugar substitute but is it natural or more like an artificial sweetener? I’m familiar with sucanat and have recently ordered some so I can’t wait for it to come in to try your powdered sugar recipe.

1. It’s not artificial. Just google “xylitol” :).

107. Interesting… what a smart idea to make your own powdered sugar. You are too brilliant, Katie!

108. Angelique says:

How clever you are! Thank you for thinking outside the box and sharing your brilliant finds!

109. Jordan says:

Do You have any Valentines desserts coming up?

110. I totally know what you mean, Katie. I live in Texas (San Antonio) and the weather here is never consistent either! :)

111. Janice says:

Will this work with 0 calorie stevia in the raw sugar? Or even splenda? (for my mother)

1. Steve Johnson says:

Janice, if you care ANYTHING ABOUT YOUR MOM, PLEASE DO NOT USE SPLENDA! It is deadly to your good bacteria, it cannot be used in bread making, as it kills the yeast. It cannot be used in making yoghurt, as it kills the bacteria that is required to make yogurt. It does the exact same thing to the good bacteria in your gut. 3 tablespoons of Splenda does equal damage to your digestive system as taking a anti-bacterial.

Stevia on the other hand has become the top rated and recommended zero calorie sweetener by almost all health experts, including Dr. Mercola, Dr, Weil, and Dr. Oz.

Don’t know about the Stevia in the Raw version but you can do it with arrowroot combined with pure stevia extract powder. You can just mix it as you wish to get the desired sweetness. Would NOT recommend corn starch or any unhealthy corn products.

112. Kathy says:

COOKIES for me please! It seems granola is a big hit here.. never realized there were so many interested in it before. I wouldn’t mind it, but it’s way down on the list.. give me cookies anytime. My daughters new boyfriend is allergic to corn… I can use arrowroot instead of cornstarch… I have never used it however and have no idea if one uses the same ratio as cornstarch and if it thickens the same, what type of texture etc. If you would happen to know this information i would be grateful if you were to share it…thanks. It is actually odd that i have not tried it as my daughter is allergic to dairy and egg and i have tried different substitutions, but i don’t think arrowroot was ever used as one of them.

113. Sheilah Miller says:

I just used this to make frosting for my daughter because she can’t have sugar right now, trying to kill excess yeast in her body. It worked great! Thanks so much. It was a little too sweet for me so next time I may double the cornstarch so it will thicken faster without the sweet taste. thanks again

114. Renee Allen says:

Can I just tell you that that ribbon is the most gorgeous color ever? Love it!

115. Kathie says:

You said you made the powdered xylitol in your vita-mix, did you use your regular container or a dry goods container? I look forward to your answer!

1. I guess a regular container… My vitamix is over 7 years old, so it only came with one blender ;).

116. Laura says:

Katie, do you think I could make powdered sugar with Truvia?

117. Claire says:

I also love to use xylitol to sub for regular cane sugar as it contains less calories gram for gram, also it does not raise the blood sugar level as fast as regular sugar so it is diabetic safe. However I read that some people can be sensitive to it and cause loose stools when they eat it. So I only use it in my baking for myself and a few friends who I know have tried it and have no problem with it. I wouldn’t bake with it when I am baking for a party when I do not know whether someone at the party is sensitive to it.

118. Deb says:

I wonder if this would work with coconut sugar?

119. colleen tribout says:

Ridiculous to call anything with artificial chemical sweetner healthy!! Using real, natural ingredients and eating less is whats really healthy.

1. Hi Colleen,
      Actually, none of my recipes call for artificial chemical sweeteners. I don’t trust it, and I don’t like the aftertaste.

120. Diane says:

Would Stevia work in place of Xylitol?

121. Kate Linder says:

You shouldn’t use Xylitol or other sugar alcohols in those amounts because it causes serious GI issues. Hence, the reason they’re used in minimal amounts in gum and a few candies.

Sincerely, a Registered Dietition

1. Abby says:

Hi Kate,
      Maybe it’s only certain people who are affected? I use xylitol to sweeten all the time, and I’ve never had any problems at all. But I’m interested to know more from a dietician’s point of view. Thanks!

122. Kylie says:

Thanks so much for sharing this! It seems common sense, but my sister and I have been wondering how to make some frosting without any powdered sugar. I am going to have to try this and maybe mix it with some canned coconut milk for a creamy frosting!

123. Kayla says:

Katie, your brilliant!

I want to use this in a peanut butter frosting recipe, do you think the powdered sugar will stand up to it just like regular powdered sugar?
    Thank you!

1. I think so. It might be a little grainy, but it should work… but I haven’t tried it.

124. Maxine says:

This is a comment about xylitol. As we speak I have it in a bag to take back to the health food store where I bought it. I used it in over some strawberries for strawberry shortcake. I had a reaction that was awful – the one where your stomach turns inside out, and you end up in the bathroom for an hour!!! It was unbelievable!! So if it’s your first time using xylitol, especially a cup of it in a recipe, watch out.(those symptoms are also listed as a side effect on the package)

125. Tracey says:

can you turn stevia or splenda into powdered?

126. Ann says:

I just made powdered sugar with Sucanat and arrowroot (in my Vita-Mix). I turned it off, opened the lid and it was definitely smoking as you said it would! Wow! It’ll definitely work in my Paleo Nanaimo Bars. Yum! Thanks for the alternate powdered sugar recipe so I can stay away from cornstarch and processed sugars.

127. Xenia says:

Would this recipe work with stevia powder?

128. Danielle says:

First I was excited to stumble onto your website today. I’ve been making “sugar-free” powdered sugar with Splenda and corn starch since my daughter was diagnosed with T1D in 2008. The sugar cookies I make call for 2 1/2 cups and I didn’t want her to not enjoy. And I use it cup for cup in my recipes. Just note that it does bake a little lighter than real

1. Steve Johnson says:

See my comment above about the dangers of splenda and the acceptance of Stevia by most health experts.

129. Jess says:

Chocolate Covered Katie! I love love love you blog. I just know if you lived in Austin we would be friends. HAHA :) Anyway, thanks for the idea to make “powdered sugar” sugar-free. Super genius.

130. Katherine Rowe says:

Does anyone know if using Stevia In The Raw would work also?

131. Danielle says:

Tried this with coconut sugar and mixed with coconut milk for the breakfast cake. Cake is still cooling but I could eat all the glaze while I wait! So delicious!

132. Nessa says:

For those that were wondering if this would work with the “Stevia In The Raw”..the stuff in the green bag?

Just…. Don’t. 😛 trust me..

I just tried making the powdered sugar with Stevia in the Raw, and it was an utter FAIL. It looked great, but the taste was bitter-too-sweet! Go for the xylitol or even blend the Stevia in the Raw with equal parts of xylitol.

1. Steve Johnson says:

Or use pure stevia extract with arrowroot … no sugars, nor unhealthy sugar alcohols.

133. Julia Smith says:

Yum! Does it lower the calories to be sugar free too? :)

134. Hannah says:

How are you so awesome? This is exactly, and I mean exactly, what I was looking for!
    My mother is avoiding sugar and dairy for her new baby, but I’m making a dairy free, sugar free version of her favorite Christmas cookies, which take powdered sugar!
    Thank you, thank you, thank you!

135. Austin Newsam says:

!Would it work with Stevia??? :)

1. Steve Johnson says:

YES, just mix stevia extract powder with arrowroot till the desired sweetness.

136. Laura says:

Would this store well after being made? Wondering if I could make a big batch all at once…

1. Yes, just add the cornstarch if you don’t want clumping.

137. THANK-YOU!! I used your directions for making powdered sweetener this weekend and have linked back to your post on my blog. You rock :)

138. Mia says:

Just wanted to add that in case you either don’t have a food processor or yours isn’t the fanciest, like mine, you can grind xylitol or spenda in a coffee bean/spice grinder. You can only add about 1/4c of granules at a time, but this method makes fool-proof, fluffy clouds of powdered “sugar.”

139. Jess says:

Has anyone tried this with stevia?

140. Shmlss4gb says:

Has anyone tried it with Erythritol instead of Xylitol? Same sugar-free results, without the potential GI upset and erythritol doesn’t have the cooling effect (which I personally do not like). I think I’m going to try the healthier Reese Eggs receipe that you posted this weekend. But curious before I try E instead of X (I have both here though). Thanks

141. Tee says:

This look good and I think I’ll try them using Stevia :-)

1. Steve Johnson says:

Please dont use Splenda … see my comments about it above.

142. Marisa says:

These are delicious! One thing though – when I made the coconut oil and milk mixture I didn’t think to warm the almond milk and the coconut oil hardened. Might want to give us newbie bakers a heads up that that’ll happen:)

143. Helen from the UK says:

Just posted on Katie’s Healthy Krispy Kreme post about a tip when using a spice/coffee mill. To remove any stale smells from your mill, grind up some dry raw rice and throw that away before adding in your expensive Xylitol. It saves it tasting of curry, ha, ha and the spice mill works a treat. My blender is just a standard one and found that even after quite some time ‘blending’ the xylitol is was still not powdery enough so used my mill instead.

144. Margot says:

Wondering…I have a food processor and a stick blender, but not a regular blender. Do you think either would work to make the powdered sugar? Seems like the food processor would just whirl it around…

145. Kinsey says:

I recently tried making this glaze on a carrot cake and it turned out to crystalize once I put the icing on. Do you know why that might be? I used xylitol if that makes a difference.

146. Michelle says:

Can this be made using truvia or a stevia-sugar blend as well?

147. Andrea says:

Hi – I love the taste of the lemon bars, but I don’t like the color! I made my own powdered sugar using a sucanat and coconut sugar mix, but it makes it turn a dirty brown. I don’t want to use “regular” sugar, although I know the color would be much better. Also, I don’t use any of the “ol’s” (xylitol, etc.) Any suggestions for a more appetizing color? P.S. I love, love. LOVE all your recipes I’ve tried so far!!

148. Hannah says:

I made it with coconut sugar just now for your peanut butter eggs. Very delicious. But it didn’t grind up as well as I would have liked. I have a Ninja blender, I think, and that might have been the problem. I guess it just doesn’t grind well.

Thank you!

149. Sarah says:

What kinda of VitaMix do you use? I’ve been looking into getting something like that but never have and it’s a little confusing.

1. Mine is like 10 years old, so it’s pretty basic. Still works well!

1. Sarah says:

150. Andrea says:

Careful with Xylitol, its an instant pet killer.

151. rachel says:

just be super super careful if you buy xylitol and have a dog! dogs can die from ingesting extremely small amounts of the stuff, so take the necessary precautions to keep it securely out of their way.

152. Anonymous says:

How are artificial sugar substitutes “healthier?”

1. None of the sweeteners I have listed in the post are artificial.

153. Lana says:

I used to think Xylitol was from the birch tree but if you try to find the source on the packages in stores, it won’t tell you they get it from CORN – most likely GMO! :~( You also need to be careful with sugars in how they process them because many are NOT VEGAN – just wanted to share this important information.

1. Hi Lana,
      Thanks for the comment… You do have to watch out for that! I don’t know about other brands, but according to the Xyla company, their brand comes from birch.

154. Hannah says:

Question: Do you think this could be made with Truvia or stevia?
    I made it with coconut sugar, and that was only too awesome.

Thank you!

155. Caroline says:

I forgot who introduced me to your site by posting your Single Serving Chocolate Chip Cake in a Mug post/recipe, but OMG am I grateful for the introduction to your site! Today I made the cake in mugs, and it was amazing. Now I’m exploring your site and am totally excited to make these things. I’m vegan, healthy with my food consumption and don’t really eat sweets (nor do I crave them). However, I am so happy seeing these and they are really so exciting that I’m fine with cheating a couple of times a week for these delicious treats!!! :) Thank you!

156. Janice says:

I actually make this with my coffee grinder… 😀

157. Tonya Dugan says:

Do you think you could make the sugar free powdered sugar using Stevia powder? I use Pyure organic sweetener. The ingredients are: “Organic Agave Inulin, Organic Reb A (Stevia Extract), natural flavor.”

1. Sorry, I’ve never tried. I guess I’m confused because isn’t stevia already powder?

158. Hannah says:

I made powdered sugar yesterday for some homemade chocolate (I’ve practically memorized your Three Ingredient Chocolate Bars, I make them so often!) but I used Truvia instead of Sucanat or xylitol. It worked beautifully and, in my opinion, tasted better than any powdered sugar you get at the store. Thanks for this recipe!

159. Renee says:

I just wanted to let you know xylitol makes a powdered sugar as well as granulated.

160. Mayra says:

I’m so excited to try this out! Just came across your site. We’ve nixed sugar from our eating lifestyle but I admit I miss powered sugar on a few things! Great idea!

161. Karen says:

Great post. We have been SF for about a month and was looking for different baking ideas. This recipe sure will cone in handy.

162. Irene says:

Is there any easy way to print your recipes without all the extras n your page from an ipad? Thanks.

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

You can hi-light just the recipe itself, then right click and hit copy. Then open a new document in Word and hit paste. You can name & save this document in a CCK folder, and print the recipe as needed.

163. Gina Sengupta says:

I have found that powdered xylitol works best in raw recipes. I used it as a sugar substitute for your Copycat Reeses Eggs and it was good, however in baked recipes like cupcakes it tastes horrible.

164. Regel Bisso says:

I am a diabetic and use Splenda frequently, especially since I can substitute the same amount as sugar in recipes. Do you have a problem with Splenda? When you said “If you can do it with Splenda, why not with other sweeteners?” it made me think so. If so, could you tell me what it is?

165. Annika says:

Katie, have you tried to powder erythritol? Have you ever tried baking with it? Any thoughts on that? I would rather use erythritol than xylitol as I try to stick to a paleo diet and I’ve heard erythritol is ok but not xylitol. I would simply use stevia for every recipe but I don’t like the taste of it. I have found that using part stevia and part other sweetener works pretty well for most of my recipes. It’s a fine line though. Too much stevia and I ruin the recipe…. Thanks!!! :)

1. Sorry, I’ve never tried erythritol.

166. Ashley says:

I think I am going to make this using half xylitol and half coconut sugar. Just got my vitamix yesterday!! :)

167. Alex says:

Hello! I was wondering; Do you think the sugar-free powdered sugar would work well in a Puppy Chow recipe?

168. Tammy says:

How much glaze does 1 cup of sugar-free powdered sugar make? Maybe 2 or 3 Tbsps? Does anyone know?

169. Ann says:

You are soooooo creative! I am amazed with all the different ideas you have! Even sugar-free powdered sugar! Thank you for sharing! I am suffering with losing weight and getting healthy and your website has been Heaven on earth to me! Thank you again, Ann

170. MgH says:

Wonder if stevia would work…

171. Kim says:

My veterinarian just told me that Xylitol is TOXIC to pets. So, if you plan on sharing this or any other recipe with your pets, ( I have a mini pig). Do NOT use xylitol. Btw, Katie, Thank you and I can’t wait to try the pop-tart babies recipe.

1. Kim says:

Sorry, I didn’t notice that xylitol has already been spoken of. Sooooo many posts, I didn’t take the time to read first. LOL… Btw, it is often used in chewing gum. Just in case someone didn’t know. Thanks again to all.

172. Haley says:

I never thought about sugar-free powdered sugar even EXISTING, and now I am soooo excited!! I made this in my Magic Bullet and it was easy-peasy. I am storing it in one of my empty (and clean!) canning jars.
    Frosting to me is ALWAYS the most important part of the cake (or cinnamon roll) but it is so high in calories and sugar, it tends to ruin the healthy dessert that it is topping :(
    I plan to now make the pumpkin cinnamon rolls (again) but make the glaze with a 3:1 ratio of sugar free powder sugar to regular powder sugar to seriously knock out calories and sugar. This is honestly the best thing. Ever.

173. Alison says:

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I love making healthy cinnamon rolls but missed the icing. Now I can indulge and not feel guilty. :)

174. James says:

Hi Katie, I’m very interested in this xilitol powdered recipe. I do have some reservations. I want to frost a cake. It’s not a enormous cake, I think 8″ round. I’m nervous about the laxative effects of Xilitol. I don’t want to send everyone to the bathroom. Do you think a slice would do that?

175. Laurie says:

Can I use Stevia? Will it have the same outcome?

176. Marcia says:

SF powder sugar is just xylitol? I’m confused…Explain Please :)

177. sue werth says:

Katie, do you have a cookbook with your excellent recipes in it?

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

I know I’m not Katie, but I know the answer because I just bought three copies haha!

178. Katie Bird says:

Would this also work with coconut sugar? :)

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

179. JoAnn McBrady says:

Where is it possible to find Sucanot and also Xylitol? Thanks JoAnn

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

It depends on where you live.
      But Whole Foods, a health food store, or Amazon or

180. Pamela says:

Thank you, thank you, thank you. You have opened up a new door and brought my family into a new world. First my son who is type 1 diabetic (insulin dependent) and my daughter and I are allergic to wheat amd MSG have now been able to love food again. I was a typical southern cook and 22 years ago I had to learn to cook ‘sugar free’. We had sweet n low and equal to choose from then came splenda. Well I didn’t feel good about any of these choices and aspertame was out of the question. It was a challenge, but do able. Then we learned that my daughter and I are allergic to wheat and MSG. So I really had to rethink our entire way of eating to a much more healthful way. As I am again relearning all things about food,cooking and our health and life choices it has been an amazing adventure to being healthy and eating well. But the best part about having ‘hick-ups’ is your blog! We can eat GREAT tasting food again and be HEALTHY too!

181. nancy keeton says:

LOL I kept seeing sugar free powdered sugar in your recipes and I have been trying to find it in stores. Of course I haven’t found it in the stores and realized you made it! MAkes so much more sense haha!

182. Carol says:

Would it work with Erythritol?

183. Sarah says:

Would this work for coconut sugar?

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

184. Shweta says:

Can I use Truvia and grind it to make this?

185. Anna says:

Just used your powdered xylitol to make the chocolate egg copycats and they turned out amazing albeit not as pretty as the picture. The leftover chocolate sauce also made an amazing topping for so delicious ice cream- JUST LIKE MAGIC SHELL!

186. MARY SCHROEDER says:

Can the “One minute chocolate cake in a mug” also be made as a whole cake? If so, what would the portions of ingred. then be?
    What is the brand of your favorite choc. fudge frosting you used?
    Can I use coconut flour for this recipe?
    Do you first liquefy the coconut oil before using in this recipe? Or just measure it as a solid?
    Is cane juice a dry ingred., or liquid. Can I get it at Dierbergs super market, here in St. Louis, Mo? Or at a Trader Joes, or Whole Foods store? Your recipes are very interesting.
    Mary Schroeder

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Use this recipe for a larger cake. It is not recommended to use coconut flour, and yes cane juice is a dry ingredient. It is basically regular sugar and can be found at Whole Foods. Or just use regular sugar.

187. Courtney says:

would stevia also work or not? I heard bad stuff about fake sugars, so I would be a little worried about that….

188. Rochelle says:

can i sub xylitol with stevia?

189. Jenna says:

Hi! I’m just curious if anyone has tried coconut milk powder. I’ve read that it can be used as a replacement for powdered sugar. I know it’s probably not as sweet, but it seems a lot healthier.

190. Ashley says:

Has anyone tried this with monk fruit or other sugar substitutes? Coconut sugar tastes like dirt to me, so I don’t wanna use that– but I will… in the spirit of not being wasteful, since I already bought it before I knew how much I hate it.

191. donna m says:

I love your website. I do have one important request…
    whenever you use xylitol as an ingredient in a recipe could you PLEASE place a warning that even a TINY amount of xylitol will kill a dog. As great as it is for humans, it’s fatal to dogs, even a stick of gum containing it can kill a large dog. Thank you!

192. Joyce says:

This is a genius idea! I use pure stevia in my cooking/baking, but sometimes when the recipe calls for powdered sugar, I always have to find different ways to substitute it. I’ll definitely try to use this way (maybe with some modification) to make my own powdered sugar. Love the idea use cornstarch. Thanks for sharing!

193. tracy says:

Try Swerve Sweetener! They have a powdered sugar, and a regular one! I love it!

194. Sara says:

So cool! Does coconut sugar work for this?

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

195. JOY says:

would like to see a trail mix