Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Banana Bread Breakfast Doughnuts

Move over, powdered jelly doughnuts… These sweet banana bread doughnuts resemble a thick slice of gooey banana bread, hot from the oven:

banana bread doughnuts

Doughnuts for breakfast!

Do you remember my sprinkly Cake Batter Doughnuts?

After that recipe, I ‘d planned to go on a doughnut-making roll. So many possibilities swirled in my head: peanut butter & jelly doughnuts, chocolate brownie doughnuts, blueberry muffin doughnuts… But I never ended up making any of them. That’s the problem with an idea; you have to actually do something with it, or it’ll stay an idea forever! Thankfully, the idea for banana bread doughnuts is no longer just an idea: it’s an absolutely-delicious breakfast treat… coming soon to a Dunkin’ Donuts near you.

Or not.

These "breakfast" doughnuts are healthy enough that they can actually be eaten as part of a nutritious breakfast... Am I the only one who's ever wanted to do that? >> Added to the must-try list!

Banana Bread Breakfast Doughnuts

• 2 cups spelt flour (or white, or Arrowhead Mills gf)
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 3/4 tsp baking powder
  • 3/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 cup oil, plus 2 tbsp milk of choice (If you prefer fat-free doughnuts, omit oil and increase milk to 1/3 cup.)
  • 1 and 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup agave or pure maple syrup (or honey for non-vegans)
  • 1 and 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
  • 1 stevia packet OR 1 tbsp more maple syrup
  • 2 cups tightly-packed, mashed banana, measured after mashing
  • optional: chocolate chips, walnuts, or shredded coconut

Preheat oven to 350 F. Combine dry ingredients, and mix well. In a separate bowl, combine wet ingredients and mix into dry. (Mix by hand, and don’t overmix.) If you have a doughnut pan, grease and pour in batter. If you don’t have a doughnut pan, you can make this recipe into muffins by using a muffin pan. Cook 30-35 minutes, or less if using a mini doughnut pan. I think the recipe yields about 14 doughnuts. I made 6 big doughnuts, two muffins, and quite a few mini doughnuts, because my doughnut pan wasn’t big enough for all the batter! And yes, these doughnuts can be frozen.

View Banana Donuts Nutrition Facts

banana donuts

banana doughnuts

I recommend this frosting recipe: Healthy Vanilla Fudge Frosting.

But you can also opt to top the doughnuts with coconut butter, peanut butter, a powdered-sugar glaze, vegan cream cheese frosting, jam, or whatever else you like to put on banana bread.

Tags: , , ,

1. I love warm banana bread from the oven so these would definitely rock my world. My dream doughnut? That’s tough. I’ve never been a jelly or cream filled fan – but I love custard filling. I suppose it would have to be a glazed longjohn stuffed with cream filling and a chocolate drizzle on top! Yum!

On second thought, I do love raspberry jam, so maybe a warm raspberry filling would work, as long as it wasn’t the cold canned jelly typically used.

Mmmm raspberry filling….

2. Ahhh these look delicious! I need a donut pan ASAP! I know I can make muffins instead but it just doesn’t have the same effect 😉 My dream donut has some sort of delicious vanilla/custardy filling inside!

1. ennaejay says:

bwahaha, I know right?! I made these as muffins today and, they came out so light and fluffy I wished with all my heart they were in a donut shape. I’ll have to look for one. You can always make CCK’s vanilla fudge frosting to drizzle on top :)

3. I haven’t had a doughnut in YEARS! Seriously, years! I need to buy a doughnut pan so that I can finally eat one again! Yummmmm!

4. My dream donut would include cinnamon, apples and frosting. plenty of frosting.

5. Love that these are sugar free since I gave up added sugars for Lent!

6. My dream donut would include pumpkin and chocolate.

I got a little worried when you recipe said chocolate was optional..>WHAT? Chocolate should never be optional :)

1. Sarah the official CCK drooler says:

+1- ditto- chocolate is not an option

7. Moni'sMeals says:

I am thrilled to try this recipe. Awesome Katie, and I agree… the possibilities are endless! this is a good thing. :)

8. My dream donut would include lemon and poppy seeds… but banana is the next best thing! These look great :)

9. Sarah the official CCK drooler says:

yes, I LOVE those boston cream pie donuts- also would love a Nutella filled one. YUMTOWN. with raspberry drizzle? Yes, please :)

10. Blueberry donut with almond frosting!!

11. Janie Kaiser says:

your genius continues to amaze me everyday!!

12. heather says:

Keep the doughnut recipes coming!! :)

13. Katerina says:

Hi Katie,

1st of all I need to thank you!!! You absolutely saved my life after being diagnosed with couple of food allergies…but your recipes are so perfect for me and so yummiee….. my life is even better than before finding your website (definitely healthier!)…. as I am from Czech Republic I was glad to discover I can buy stuff like almond milk or silk tofu here. Still, I have problem with stevia, especially for baking…can you write here for us outside US fans what kind of Stevia you use or how big is one packet (I found in shop only tablets and blended bulk stevia)… my baking seems to me a bit bitter and too much sweet so I obviously used wrong amount of it.. Can you help me in this?

And I can´t wait till weekend to try some new recipes from your blog!:)))
    Love from CZ

1. You can sub 1 tablespoon of sugar for one packet of stevia. :)
      I use NuNaturals packets, which also have maltodextrin for easier measuring.

2. NuNaturals makes a Stevia Baking Blend which you can use the same way as sugar (1:1 ratio), I love it and its what I always use!

3. Caitlin says:

I’m pretty sure one packet is about one teaspoon! (Someone correct me if I’m wrong)

1. Caitlin says:

Meaning, that one packet of Stevia contains about one teaspoon of Stevia inside….

1. One packet has 1/2 tsp but it is NOT pure stevia. So if you put 1/2 tsp pure stevia powder into a recipe calling for one packet, it’d be way too sweet.

1. Katerina says:

Thx for your answer…so is there any chance to measure how much of stevia powder I should use for one packet ( I used 1/2 tsp stevia powder before and it WAS too much sweet)..I really dont want to use sugar and want to give stevia another chance to show the magic:)

2. Katerina says:

Awesome! Thx!

3. Bethany Davis says:

Oh I wish that I liked stevia :( I have tried, truly tried to make it become my sugar substitute but I can pick it out a mile away. I give it a try every now and again, but it just doesn’t work. I am doing research on agave as there are strong opinions on its health benefits (would love to find out that all of the nah-sayers are wrong) so I am cutting back on that. Looking at Yacon syrup but that is expensive for daily use…sigh….oh sugar, you are a retched mistress!

14. Kendra says:

Peanut butter cream filling sounds amazing!

15. Cat says:

Please, please make a king cake recipe! I love the cinnamony yumminess and cream cheese in a king cake! I make them throughout the year also. Did you know that 750,000 king cakes are sold in New Orleans each year?

1. I really wanted to! But now that Mardi Gras is over, I’ll probably not do it this year. I will have to remember for next year!

16. Lindsey says:

These look amazing! I must join everyone else by saying, I’m buying a doughnut pan ASAP.
    One question, what is the yellowy/orange substance in the sliced doughnut? It doesn’t look like banana. It looks like orange or lemon peel but I don’t see anything like that in the ingredients.

I’m bookmarking this recipe! Until of course you finish that cookbook! :)

17. Thompson says:

Hi katie , first of al congratulations on your blog :)

Look , in my country stevia is a very very hard thing to find, i bought from ebay some stevia powder .So , the packet of stevia that you use is how much in grams ?

Thank you , i’m in a real quest to try allll of your recipes 😛
    so far so good

kiss from Portugal 😉

1. I’m not sure, because packets over here aren’t pure stevia. But the ones I buy are NuNaturals brand. And you can always sub 1 T sugar for 1 stevia packet.

1. Thompson says:

you katie , i’m on a low sugar diet , so therefor i’m going to use stevia . 😉 -thank you so so very much :)

Keep on the good work 😉

18. Samantha says:

Wow! I love your options for doughnuts! I will have to try some of these soon. Anything involving peanut butter really makes me excited.

The funny thing is, I never much cared for doughnuts until I became vegan. Most of the vegan options out there were far superior to anything I grew up occasionally eating. This is making me look at your other doughnut recipes! They are certainly way more healthy than anything being sold out there.

19. Anonymous says:

OMG. YUM. This looks like it’s going to happen Saturday morning. My bananas should be good and totally brown by then…. : )

20. Lindsey says:

I will be making these tonight! I just asked my three-year-old if she wanted to make something with our over-ripe bananas as we were driving to school today. Can’t wait! Good timing!

PS My dream donut…I’m thinking s’mores or peanut butter or brownie…

21. Peanut butter banana for sure! :) Looks so good! I need a donut pan!

22. Those donuts look amazing! I have such a donut addiction. I don’t think I’ve ever met a donut that I didn’t like. My favs are jelly donuts, chocolate, and glazed!

23. Amy says:

Katie! I am giving up sugar, not for Lent, but because it triggers crazy cravings. *sigh* I love your blog and will drool over all you pictures. I will also eat lots of your sugar free recipes, which sweet potato chili is to.die.for! *sigh*
    ALSO! I am having a terrible time finding a doughnut pan! Seriously, it deserves another *sigh*. Keep up the amazing work you do. One of these days I’ll eat all your recipes. My lumberjack husband loves tons of your stuff too :)

1. Wulan says:

Those doughnuts look like pillwos of pumpkin perfection! We wanted doughnuts yesterday and the one doughnut place in our area was sold out of pretty much everything. It made me wish I was in New England where doughnut shops are more plentiful.I remember when I joined TWD I felt like I was constantly buying pans; both ones I needed to make recipes and also just ones I saw on other blogs and thought were neat. I need to use my doughnut pan more often. :)

24. Hmm… that looks delicious and doughnuts filled with chocolate ganache would be delightful 😀 Just a question, is there a difference in the dough for your doughnuts and muffins or is it just a matter of shape?

1. It’s pretty similar… but the cooking time is drastically different, and I omitted the strawberries from the original banana bread and replaced them with more banana :).

25. Janice says:

Im sure these would go great without any toppings! It would delicious with tea!

26. Yum! The donuts look wonderful! My dream donut would be chocolate with peanut butter frosting and pretty sprinkles! Or vanilla donut with whip cream in the center and a choclate frosting on top.

27. Sheree says:

Those look scrumptious (just put a doughnut pan in my Amazon cart!)~~

Before I was vegan, my favorite doughnut was from Krispy Kreme…those chocolate-iced ones with the white cream inside (most people don’t like them because of all the sugar, but they were my favorite!).

Katie, if you could somehow come up with a vegan version of those, I think I could die happy, lol.

1. Madeleine says:

Vegan Krispy Kremes

5 cups flour
      2 packets yeast (1/2 ounce total)
      2 cups non-dairy milk, warmed (about 110 degrees f)
      2 tbsp cornstarch
      1/2 cup sugar
      1/3 cup oil (or margarine/shortening, melted)
      1/4 tsp salt
      Oil for deep-frying

Combine yeast and warm milk in a large bowl. Let sit for 10 minutes.
      Add the oil, sugar and salt. Stir to combine.
      Add the cornstarch and half the flour and mix with dough hook on low speed, or by hand. Add the remaining flour 1/2 cup at a time, and continue mixing. Stop when the dough cleans the the side of the bowl and is elastic but not tacky. If dough is too wet, add more flour 1/4 cup at a time.
      Transfer dough to a greased bowl, cover with a damp cloth and allow to rise until for 1 hour, or until doubled.
      Turn dough out to a floured surface and dust the top light with flour. Roll out to 1/2 inch thickness and stamp out doughnuts either with doughnut cutter or a glass cup (if so, make donut indentations with a small cookie cutter/a knife/your thumb). Or if filling them, divide dough into 20 portions and shape into rounds.
      Cover with damp cloth and allow to rise for 30 minutes or until doubled.
      Heat oil in a pan until it registers at 360 degrees f.
      Drop doughnuts in and fry, 2 – 3 at a time, but no more, and remove them when they rise to the surface. Fill with cream and dip in glaze, and leave to cool on racks or scrunched up paper towels.

1. Madeleine says:

Vegan Creme Filling

1 cup vegan margarine/shortening (or 1/2 cup vegan cream cheese + 1/2 cup vegan margarine, depending on preference)
        2 tbsp cocoa butter or coconut butter (optional)
        1 1/2 cups sugar
        1 tbsp vanilla essence (optional)

Beat mixture together until combined and fluffy, either with the whisk attachment on your mixing bowl or by hand with balloon whisk.

Vegan Krispy Kreme Glaze

1/2 cup vegan margarine/shortening (or a liquid fat of your choice)
        1/2 cup sugar
        2 tbsp water (or more, if necessary)

Combine sugar and fat and heat over medium low heat, stirring gently, until sugar has melted. Add water, one tbsp at a time, until glaze has reached desired consistency – it should not be too watery. If making in advance, gently reheat the glaze before dunking doughnuts in.

Vegan Chocolate Icing

2 oz dark chocolate
        1/4 cup sugar
        2 tbsp liquid/melted fat
        1/4 cup non-dairy milk

Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and heat, stirring constantly, until chocolate has melted. Dip the topside of the cooled (filled and/or glazed if you’re a badass mofo (respect!)) doughnuts into the mixture and let the icing set.

1. Yum, thanks for sharing all these recipes! The chocolate one sounds especially good :).

1. Madeleine says:

No problem. One of my dearest friends is sadly intolerant to milk and eggs, so I modify recipes to bake for her sometimes. It’s been pretty easy so far! :)

2. Madeleine (again) says:

Vegan Creme Filling

2 tbsp cocoa butter or coconut butter (optional)
        1 1/2 cups sugar
        1 tbsp vanilla essence (optional)

Vegan Krispy Kreme Glaze

1/2 cup vegan margarine/shortening (or a liquid fat of your choice)
        1/2 cup sugar
        2 tbsp water (or more, if necessary)

Vegan Chocolate Icing

2 oz dark chocolate
        1/4 cup sugar
        2 tbsp liquid/melted fat
        1/4 cup non-dairy milk

28. Yum! My dream donut is definitely dark chocolate with a chocolate icing in the middle and dunked in chocolate ganache! Can you tell I like chocolate?! 😉

29. These look delicious! I love banana bread flavored things!

30. You should have waited to post this recipe tomorrow because tomorrow is banana bread day!!! Oh well, there is nothing wrong with banana bread two days in a row!!

31. caron says:

These sound awesome! I will try them immediately.

32. Sarah says:

I bake with spelt all the time, but never get the right consistency! thank you so much for this recipe! (maybe i can impress my picky-dessert family with these! 😀 ) LOVE THIS BLOG!

33. I gotta say, those are KILLER stats for a doughnut! I actually – gasp, shock horror – don’t really like doughnuts but it’s because they just taste so greasy to me. These lighter ones should fix that – and who doesn’t like banana bread???

1. My sister… but she’s crazy ;).

34. This looks ah-mazing!!! Might be the perfect recipe to give my new doughnut pan a test-run with!

35. Melissa says:

36. Ashley says:

I’m not always sure when substitutions will work. Would apple sauce be okay in place of the oil in this recipe?

1. As stated in the recipe, the milk can replace the oil.

1. Ashley says:

Oh d’oh! I saw that when initially read it but apparently forgot it right away. Sorry about that!

37. Kate says:

I only have a muffin tin, and want to make these right now. Would the recipe be the same or would I have to change the cooking temp or time? Thanks! SO EXCITED to make these! YUM!

1. My muffins and mini doughnuts cooked a little faster… maybe check it after 20 minutes? Same temp.

38. Elizabeth says:

A peanut butter and nutella doughnut would be my dream doughnut!

39. Alaina says:

That’s it! I need to get a donut pan. :-)

My favorite donuts are lemon filled or apple spice (when they’re “in season”).

40. YUM! my dream doughnut would include peanut butter and chocolate. rich and decadent, just the way i like it. :)

41. yummm!! I looove donuts, and these sound delicious! I played with my donut maker for the first time yesterday and made some healthy donuts (funny enough, with banana, too!). I’ll have to try these next!

42. Lili says:

hmmmm i’d go for jaffa cake doughnuts – LOOOOVVVE the combination of chocolate and orange :)))

43. Oooh, mint chocolate chip would be genius. Or something with chocolate and cinnamon!

44. These donuts look fabulous…I love banana bread. And that frosting, mmmm, that’s what I’m talking about!

Dream donut MUST include plenty of frosting or a thick glaze!

45. i love anything and everything banana! i think a peanut butter and jelly doughnut would be INCREDIBLE! or a maple glazed doughnut… oh man now i’m craving them!

46. Missy says:

Mine would include cheesecake!
    These look good but you posted a day early – tomorrow is National Banana Bread Day!! 😉

1. Oh no! LOL yesterday I was too late for Pancake Day, and today I’m too early!

47. Look delicious! I am going to have to make these for my boyfriend sometime! Banana bread is his favorite and I just bought him a mini doughnut pan!

48. Great recipe! They look amazing. I love banana bread. I REALLY need to get a donut pan now!!

49. Natalie says:

Dream donut…hmm how about a key lime pie donut?

50. I’ve never been much of a doughnut fan, but I think I might just have to try these being as I LOVE banana bread. Oh and I will definitely be topping mine with either nutella or peanut butter. :) Is the batter thick enough to maybe use a cookie scooper to make doughnut holes? There’s something about them that makes ’em just that much better than the round kind.

I think my ideal doughnut would be a banana doughnut hole with a peanut butter center and chocolate glaze on the outside…YUM.

Thanks for the recipe!

51. Sheree says:

I just thought of another doughnut that used to tug at my heart, lol. We would get them at the Donut Hole in Ft. Walton Beach, FL.

They were called Apple Crumb and were filled with apple pie filling and topped with huge cinnamon crumbs. I need a vegan version right now (wish I hadn’t started thinking of them!)!

52. Hazel says:

ohmyyum! I gotta make these super soon. I’m always afraid to make doughnuts – mainly because if I ever bought a doughnut pan, I think very bad things would happen in my belly region! haaaa. Thanks for another GREAT recipe <3

53. nik says:

Thanks for sharing a healthier doughnut recipe…they look so good! I’m not much of a frosting fan so I want to try them maybe with a syrupy banana cinnamon glaze instead, or maybe just a swipe of peanut butter. :)
    BTW will you be doing the Worldwide Vegan Bake Sale this year?

1. I’m not sure what that is… so I guess I’ll have to look into it!

1. michelle says:

Worldwide bake sales are usually end of april!

2. Samantha says:

Very cool. I had never heard about that before. In Seattle the Chocolate Shoebox will be participating (I just looked at the Worldwide Vegan Bake Sale Web site). They did a fun one for Valentine’s Day too.

Good to know!

54. Kat says:

A Gluten Free Apple Cider Donut!!! I have missed Apple cider donuts sooo much since I became gluten intolerant.

55. Michele says:

Would it be possible to make a stiffer dough to roll out and cut with a doughnut cutter? Or perhaps form them with a spoon on a cookie sheet?

56. Omg, this looks delicious Katie!
    And that is one of the sharpest photos I’ve ever seen, nice! Are you ever going to do your “prop styling” photography post?

1. Maybe lol… I have so many things I want to post. It’s still on there :).

57. Jade C says:

OK, anyone in the UK know where I can get a doughnut pan?? Please?? These look and sound AH-maxing!!

1. You can use a muffin pan if you can’t find a doughnut one :)

1. Jade C says:

I know, but I really want a doughnut one 😉 , I will use a muffin pan for now because this recipe looks and sounds too good!! But anyone in the UK who knows where I can find a doughnut pan, please let me know!!
        Jade C.

1. Jade C says:

Thank you, this was pretty helpful – though the prices are a bit steep for me at the moment so I’ll either wait until I have enough or keep looking. Thanks, MaCee :) .

58. Mariana says:

yay! no chocolate in this recipe- i’m giving up chocolate for lent and i can already see it’s going to be very difficult!! haha wish me luck :)

59. BroccoliHut says:

My dream doughnut MUST include coconut :)

60. Karina says:

I love doughnuts frosted and topped with chopped Heath bars.

61. Caralyn says:

My dream donut is a gooey pumpkin donut with a vanilla glaze.

62. Shaughan says:

Pumpkin spice would be heavenly!

63. Those look so good. I need a doughnut baking pan ASAP! My dream doughnut…I’d LOVE an apple cinnamon doughnut or maybe a carrot cake doughnut, topped with a light glaze and pecans. Or a lemon poppy seed doughnut with a lemon glaze. Yum. I need to eat some dinner (and dessert!). =)

64. Karena says:

Can you tell me why you often use spelt flour? How about soft winter wheat (or some people call it pastry w/w flour)? Just wondered. ~ Thanks.

1. Sometimes I use ww pastry, too. I like to change it up! I like the light texture of spelt flour.

65. Samantha says:

People have already said probably what would be some of top dreams:

Chocolate peanut butter
    Apple Cinnamon
    Maybe something ginger-y

I laughed that you are ahead of banana day? Thursday is also International Dog Biscuit day…that was a new one on me too.

Check this link out for food holidays! It is actually a little overwhelming (possibly silly):

You could literally have a recipe celebration every day.

1. I was late for pancake day and early for banana day… I can’t win LOL!

66. The bread looks so soft and moist, just what I love. Honestly, I haven’t had a banana bread as a doughnut, I will surely want to have one.

67. Emilia says:

These look lovely and perfect for busy mornings. My dream donut would be covered in chocolate 😉

68. Becca R. says:

Mmmm yes this sounds amazing!!! I love to try new ingredients, but my favorite recipes are the ones like this, when I have all of the ingredients already!

69. Cassandra says:

Lemon custard donuts are my absolute favorite! We have the best place here that makes amazing chocolate cake donut holes, too :)

70. My dream donut would include the Biscoff spread! I can’t believe the nutrition stats on these… very awesome!

71. Jenna says:

I made these last night, and they are WONDERFUL!!! I used your 3 ingredient chocolate bar recipe as a frosting! I’d be lost without your creations. Thanks Katie!!

1. Oh now I wish I’d used your idea. Chocolate-frosted banana doughnuts sound really, really good :).

72. Michele says:

Has anyone tried pumpkin instead of banana? I confess – I don’t like banana :(

***hangs head***

73. Shannon says:

Super yummy! I ran out of spelt so I did half spelt half whole wheat flour. Thanks!!!

74. Looks wonderful and what great nutrition!

75. MaCee says:

Well hello! I recently discovered your blog through Pinterest, seeing as you’re all over the place on there. :) I am not a vegan but recently started trying to eat more healthy and I was sooo excited to find your blog. I signed up for the email list and when I got this recipe yesterday, I decided I had to try these. I made just regular sized muffins instead of doughnuts (dont have the pan) and they were absolutely to die for. I made the fat free version (until my husband told me to add chocolate chips…) and added chopped walnuts. This is my new favorite healthy breakfast. :) So awesome, thank you!

1. Haha I like your husband’s thinking :).

76. Mariel says:

donut with chocolate glaze and custard inside!!!!! you should do that! :) SO DELISH!

1. Anonymous says:

YUM! That sounds awesome!

77. Yum I love donuts! Have you ever had Mighty-O vegan donuts from Seattle? They are amazing! I think my favorite are the ones with chocolate icing and a creamy filling.

1. I haven’t :(. I’ve never been to Seattle… I’d love to go someday!

78. Anonymous says:

Did you add all the sweetener to your version? Do you think half the sweetener replaced with applesauce would work?

Thanks :)

1. It might be a little gummy? But you never know unless you try :).

1. Anonymous says:

Hmm, never thought of that. I wonder if I could just cut back on the sweetener and forget about trying to make it up somewhere else….

79. Tamu says:

I almost took my kids to Dunkin Donuts after school, but I remembered your doughnut recipe. I just made your cake-batter doughnuts with a maple glaze– the kids loved them! SO much better than stale donuts with questionable ingredients. Thanks a lot!

80. Anonymous says:

Now… I know my request may sound a bit weird but…
    …do you by any chance have a comprehensive list of the recipes in which tofu is used?
    It would be quite useful and I wasn’t able to find it! (if it exist, of course! 😀 )

Let me know thanks! xxx

1. Anonymous says:

You are the best. Tnx a ton!

81. Molly says:

Is this is your polka-dot banana bread, baked in a doughnut pan?

1. Not exactly. It’s pretty similar, but I had to change the cooking time for the doughnuts, and I also felt like they weren’t as good when fat-free, so I added in the recommended oil.

82. Sadie says:

My favorite type of donut is a chocolate glazed donut with rainbow sprinkles!

83. Erin says:

I thought long and hard about what kind of banana bread recipe to make for banana bread day (it’s one of my favorite foods!) and finally decided on yours because I recently bought a doughnut pan. And they were AMAZING! And oh my God, with coconut butter melted on top?! HEAVEN 😀

1. Aww yay! And coconut butter… I think I’d eat my shoe if it were covered in coconut butter. And it would be yummy. :)

84. Lindsay says:

My dream doughnut would be a peanut butter doughnut with jelly filling! Or maybe a banana doughnut with peanut butter cream filling. Yum yum, thanks for the recipe katie!

85. Guest says:

I was just wondering about the agave; does it lend anything other than taste (like texture etc)? Since this recipe contains banana, that’s plenty sweet for me. Could I exclude the liquid sweetener and proceed with the recipe? Or should I change any times or something, do you know? Thanks!

1. Sorry, I don’t really know since I’ve never left out the agave.

86. Giselle says:

Yum! These remind me of your Polka Dot Banana bread.
    Now I need to go buy a donut pan ASAP

87. jj says:

i’m new to your blog and am wondering how much stevia is in a packet? i buy it by the container, not packet. Thanks!

1. Do you buy pure stevia? It depends. There is 1/2 tsp in a packet, but it’s not pure stevia.

88. Zan says:

This sounds wonderful will have to try it soon. My dream doughnut would have blueberries! I use to love the double blue berry donuts you know the ones with blueberries(or fake ones at least) in the dough and blue berry frosting…One of those things I miss giving up as my diet has slowly changed over the years. Hmmm would love to see what you could do for that. :)

89. Kate says:

Woooow, those look amazing! I`m a huge banana fan so I`ve gotta try these out! Will blog about it once I do. My dream doughnut would include… fresh berries!

90. Haile says:

Discovered CCK yesterday (your oatmeal raisin cookies were linked here: & have been glued to my computer/smartphone ever since, clicking through links. Love your blog & your attitude. I have Celiac Disease, and can’t WAIT to try some of your gf recipes this weekend.
    Thank you!

1. Aww thanks, Haile! I hope you like the recipes!

91. ~Mrs. R says:

I made these the other day and they were a HUGE hit with my family!! Thanks Katie! We already ate the entire batch and I have a request to make MORE! :-)
    ~Mrs. R

1. Aw that really makes me so happy! Thank you for trying them!!

92. Shelley says:

mouth is watering. need to make asap. also, need a doughnut pan, b/c that seems more fun than muffins :)

93. Doughnuts for breakfast — that are actually good for you! You are the queen of delicious and nutritious breakfasts, Katie! 😀

94. Holli says:

I love these! I made them as muffins yesterday, and they are wonderful by themselves or with Nutella on top.
    Thanks for sharing the recipe!

95. linnie says:

Doughnut pans at Target-$9.99 for a 6 doughnut pan.

96. Melea says:

So, I’m totally new to baking sugar free/gluten free. I do have some gluten free flour. Can I use this to substitute regular white flour easily? Thank you! I’m so excited to find your site and can’t wait to try these donuts!

1. Sorry, I don’t know much about gf baking either.

97. Lauren says:

I have yet to try these, but they look sooooo good! I am wondering if bananas can be substituted with other fruits? Will that completely ruin the recipe and tasty outcome of the doughnuts? Or is it okay to mix it up and try different fruits?

98. Liza says:

Hi Katie!

I’m from Holland and I love you’re blog!
    If you don’t have a muffin or doughnut pan, can you bake the doughnuts in a other way?

1. Try my polka dot banana bread recipe :)

99. Mandy Cheshire says:

Another winner! Fabulous!

100. Becky says:

Hi Katie, I just wanted to let you know that I made these and they were awesome! Just to let you know, I used a gluten free blend of sweet brown rice and sorghum (blended in blendtec to make flour), almond (ground in coffee grinder to make meal), and coconut flour at a ratio of 1:1:1:.3 respectively. I used cashew butter for half of the oil (I would have used more of the butter but that’s all I had left) and I decreased the sweetener by half and used a combination of molasses and honey. I also frosted with chocolate gnache made from semi-sweet choc chips, butter, and milk. My kids loved them and I couldn’t stop eating them! Thanks for the recipe and your fabulous blog!

1. Thanks for reporting back with the gf option, Becky! You rock :).

101. Melanie says:

I just moved near a doughnut shop that makes buttermilk (cake) doughnuts. They are amazing! They’re sweet and buttery. Also, they’re crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside. So good.

102. Agatha says:

Spelt flour is not gluten free!
    Or there is something I’ve missed?

103. Agatha says:

Ohh well, fair enough, but some people might not be aware that spelt is not gluten free. Don’t get me wrong I love your web-site:) I just have been dealing with food intolerances all my life, and seeing this recipe made me think.

1. Oh nope, no worries. I definitely know it’s not gf! :)

104. Genevieve V says:

You can also substitute the same amount of applesauce for the oil
    1/4 cup oil= 1/4 cup applesauce
    You won’t miss any taste, just the greasy!

105. Bethany Davis says:

As I was making these this morning for breakfast I looked up and noticed my sweet potatoes sitting in my veggie holder…I be that you could substitute the banana with mashed sweet potato. That would give it a totally different/yummy taste 😀

1. Shelley says:

oooohhhh good idea, that sounds tasty. Or pumpkin. mmmm

106. LaNita says:

WOW! I am just in love with your ideas and your courage in the kitchen! I have had 2 babies in the last 2 years and still have 20lbs of baby weight to lose but just can’t give up my desert! I tried these with the banana glaze and I loved them! I ate 4 right off the bat! I know…but I just didn’t get enough with the first 3. I will be trying the deep dish cookie recipe next. My husband is a chef, savory, not really pastry so I am trying so hard to hide from him the beans in the recipe :O hopefully he doesn’t figure it out and refuse to eat them. Chefs are quite particular

Thank you for sharing your brain. We really appreciate it out here :)

1. Aww thank you :)
      And good luck with “tricking” your husband lol!

107. Jessica says:

Can I make these with Oat Flour? I’ve been suffering with Hives for Four months and have been tryin gto eliminate Wheat just to see if it helps. It’s so tough making the change. Thanks for all your great recipes! I love that you use all natural Ingredients.

1. I think you can… In my experience, using all oat flour in baked goods sometimes yields a gummy result, but you certainly can try!

1. Jessica says:

Thanks I’m not a great cook so sometimes I am afraid to try things! I’m not a fussy eater either so I bet I will like it even with the gummy texture. Anything will be better then these awful premade gluten free foods I’ve been purchasing!

108. Ellen says:

I just made these using gluten-free bisquick (I skipped the baking soda but still used the baking powder). They turned out GREAT! They taste better than normal doughnuts!

109. Katie, is there a version of these that are pumpkin? I can get my 12 yr old to eat that but she doesn’t like banana bread…

1. I don’t have a pumpkin version, but that sounds really good! Maybe you could sub the banana with canned pumpkin and just add some extra sweetener? Or, I also have my Cake Batter doughnuts which are banana-free!

110. Shannon says:

Oh my goodness… I just made these as muffins for my husband and me for breakfast and they are FANTASTIC!!! Wow. They didn’t even need any butter or anything! I just found your blog on Pinterest last night and I’m already obsessed. Thank you so much for sharing of these amazing recipes :)

1. Aw thank YOU for trying them!!

111. I made these as a muffin since I didn’t have a Donut pan. They were so yummy. However, I didn’t have any lemon juice so I subbed in an egg since I am not vegan. They rose so high and had a great texture. Did the lemon juice add anything else to the recipe? I shared them with my Nutrition class and was told by everyone how amazing they were. The kiddos loved them too!

1. Yes, lemon juice helps with rising. It reacts with the baking soda. :)

112. Chris says:

Late to the party, as usual…..but what about an Almond Joy donut?!? Almonds, coconut, AND chocolate!

I just bought mini donut pans and I will christen them with THIS recipe!

113. Cierra says:

What if you don’t have a doughnut pan? Do you think it would still be doughnut-y if you used a muffin tin? I loveeee doughnuts but I’m on a summer diet and these seem healthy enough for a little indulgent snack/dessert! I love your blog ^__^

Also, I love a simple glazed doughnut, right out of the oven so that it’s still hot and gooey, with a big cup of soy milk or hot coffee!

114. Cheryl Anne says:

Katie, I made your Banana Bread Breakfast Doughnuts Sunday morning and they were awesome! I linked to your article and recipe here:
    You have made me a banana bread believer and I look forward to making your Polka Dot Banana Bread. Cheers!

115. Marie says:

Oh my godness, I think I’m absolutely and completely in LOVE! I’ve been looking for a good banana bread / muffin / doughnut recipe (vegan of course) for so long, but somehow I was never quite satisfied with the results of my various attempts. And then I found your ingenious blog. A week ago I made the littel piece of heaven that is your better-than-nutella spread and instantly knew that I stumbled onto something amazing. And today I made these (muffins for lack of a doughnut pan). Moist, fluffy, sweet, banana-ey, just absolute perfection (I topped them with half a mashed banana blended with some of the better-than-nutella). Thankyousomuchthankyousomuch :) will definitely be trying some of your other recipes soon – you’re awesome!

116. Katrine says:

My dream doughnut would include……….. applesauce!!!!!<3

117. Anonymous says:

I used molasses. I love molasses, and it seemed more banana friendly and pocket friendly than agave or maple syrup. Didn’t used all of it though, upped the stevia a little. Thought I was going to have to add more of something wet but it turned out fine.

118. Vicki says:

HI, we don’t have baking soda in Australia. Can you use bicard?

1. Sarah says:

Hi Vicki,
      I am also in Aus and bicarbonate of soda is baking soda so all good to use in this recipe!

1. Vicki says:

Thanks Sarah. I have used bicarb before but thought I’d check!

119. Vicki says:

Just to confirm, is ‘2 c’ two cups of mashed banana?

120. Jenny says:

Hi! I have just discovered your site! Oh my goodness why didn’t I know about you ealier :)
    I have a question…the ingredients lists “2 c mashed banana” does this mean 2 cups? Also does “T” mean tablespoon? Thank you.

1. Yes, sorry for the confusion! In more-recent recipes, I’ve now changed to writing out cups and tbsp :).

121. Anonymous says:

gothese in the oven right now and they look great so far! cant wait to eat em

122. Anonymous says:

well it just came out of the oven and didnt turn out well, very spongy and little flavor. it qas probaly something i did wrong since yours turned out so nice!

1. Kristie says:

Did you change her recipe at all? This is one of my family’s favorite recipes, but you have to follow it exactly. I once tried to get creative and use coconut flour. Um not good. That’s why Katie has the blog and not me!

123. dj says:

These banana donuts look like they’d be great on those mornings where you are running out the door in a hurry…

I just wrecked my non-stick pans — but I’ve been thinking about getting rid of them anyway. :-) There’s a lot of controversy whether they are safe or not. Things seem to bake better in the stainless steel pans anyway. Agave and maple syrup are expensive, but it doesn’t look like the recipes use much, so it should last. I’ve never thrown a banana away. If they get too ripe, I put them in the freezer for baking.

124. Sophie says:

I just got a donut pan, and I’m pretty sure this will be the first recipe I’m going to try out! They look so yummy, and are perfect because I’ve got a couple banana frozen, waiting for a use.

However, I do have one question: If I omitted the oil, do you think the donuts would stick to the pan? I know sometimes fat-free baked goods tend to do that, but I’ve never made donuts before so I wasn’t sure what would likely happen. Thanks for your help!

1. Maybe just be sure to grease the doughnut pan well, with oil or oil spray :)

125. Lauren says:

I love this recipe, and did put chocolate chips on top. I would like to make a pumpkin version, any thoughts on how much pumpkin to use in lieu of bananas? Thanks!! I think it would need some cinnamon, nutmeg, and all spice too…and of course chocolate chips!!

126. Naquita says:

I was looking for a recipe to make with bananas as I knew I had a fair few frozen and of course I thought of your blog. Made these today as muffins and they are amazing. I defrosted the bananas in the microwave and then mashed them and was worried that they were more liquidy then freshly mashed bananas but they were delicious. They are really light and fluffy and I was amazed that they even rose up in the muffin tins. I added mixed chopped nuts because I happened to have a packet on the counter in front of me. I also substituted vinegar for the lemon juice (I realised after starting to make them that I had no lemons but I reasoned that the acid in vinegar would work just as well – guessing it’s something to do with the baking soda?) and it worked fine, no vinegar taste or anything. Will definitely be making them again.

127. Natalia says:

Alright, CCK. My batch is in the oven. Found a batch of bananas that I bought last week that were overly ripe…they fall victim to the oven! Thanks for this recipe cause I have all the stuff in my pantry/fridge 😀 My kids are thrilled to eat them for breakfast! (and so are my husband and I 😀 )
    My dream donuts would be chocolate with chocolate frosting…and a cup of coffee!

128. Stephanie Wangen says:

Can these be cut and made into donuts or do you need a pan? Can’t wait to make them and think I will put a chocolate glaze of some sort on top. Yum!!!!

129. Michelle says:

I used frozen banana’s is that going to make a difference?

130. Laura says:

Subbed applesauce because we didn’t have enough bananas. Made wonderful apple-cinnamon donuts too! :)

131. Rachel says:

I made these this morning and they are delicious! I didn’t have any lemon juice so I left it out. I used cake flour, and while I took the vanilla OUT of the cupboard, I forgot to add it in the batter! I also halved the recipe and it worked perfectly. And I know this is not healthy, but I had some leftover cream cheese frosting in the fridge, so I spread on just a touch to add sweetness. I had enough batter for six doughnuts and a mega-muffin in a custard cup. All in all, a happy morning at my place so far!

132. Fay says:

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew how to substitute egg into this recipe? I don’t have enough maple syrup.

133. Shandra Grace says:

My dream donut would be… rich dark chocolate, with soft chocolate chips, and a vegan whipped cream filling. Mmm… drizzled with chocolate sauce.

134. Mallory says:

I know this comment is waaayyy late, but I just made these doughnuts (again for the millionth time). I am gluten intolerant, and am a huge fan of buckwheat flour. Thus, I replaced the spelt with buckwheat, and also used coconut oil for the oil, and coconut nectar instead of maple syrup, and they turned out completely deliciously! I used a doughnut pan, but only had to cook them for 12 minutes (they for some reason will overcook really fast), and I also halved the recipe, making 6 doughnuts and used the extra to make a microwave muffin which also turned out amazing – possibly better!

135. Cindy says:

Can I use almond flour as a substitute in these recipes? Also, what about using Truvia as a substitute for the sweeteners?
    One more question, have you tried to make the doughnuts in a doughnut maker vs baking in a muffin pan?
    Thanks…love your site and your recipes!!!!!!!!!!

136. Mia says:

sounds amazing, but you should make an alternative to banana, some people are allergic :)

137. Jessica says:

I tried these and they were great! But yours look so big and nice in the pictures and mine are so small :( did I do something wrong?

138. Lilly says:

“These sweet doughnuts resemble a thick slice of gooey banana bread, hot from the oven…”

Okay, that line made me seriously screamgiggle. You make the yummiest recipes ever.

139. Brittany says:

Can you use Almond Milk? So excited to try these!

140. CutePi says:

I just made these, but made them into muffins, as I don’t have a doughnut pan (BTW, thank you for properly spelling doughnut. It’s a HUGE peeve of mine to see “donut” everywhere :) ). I didn’t have spelt flour (I hope to experiment with quinoa flour on my next baking adventure) so I used half white, half whole wheat. Even with no oil and wheat flour these still came out very moist and delicious. A bit salty for some reason, though. Perhaps I misread the ingredients in my eagerness to get these babies in the oven and into my belly! I tried one with regular Jif PB and one with a knockoff Nutella spread. WOW! Great plain, but even better with some kind of topping. I’ll be trying organic almond butter as a topping next, as the PB sort of added to the odd saltiness. I also added a touch of brown sugar on the top before baking, so they have a nice crunchy topping! This is the fourth or fifth recipe I’ve made from your blog, Katie, and so far they have all been capital (though the black bean brownies weren’t touched by anyone but me…I guess I’m weird that way!)

141. Caitlin says:

I made this for breakfast this morning. (I had to use what was on hand like regular flour as well as using sugar free maple syrup) It was delicious!!! I used a muffin pan since, sadly, no doughnut pan here. 😀 After I calculated my recipe each muffin was only 31 calories and so I was happy to eat more than one! (More like five!) Thank you so much and great site!

142. Karly H. says:

I absolutely loved these! It was the third time I tried one of your recipes and I don’t have any complaints yet. I halved the recipe and used maple syrup as the only sweetener, with 1/6 cup of vanilla almondmilk and 1 mashed banana. Half of the recipe was perfect for 12 mini donuts (plus some stuck to the bowl to enjoy uncooked :P)

143. Amy says:

Ok, so I’ve made this like 3 times in the last 2 weeks. One for a trial run and the next few for a bbq because they were such a hit. I’m a fitness freak/bodybuilding competitor and am always looking for clean/tasty recipes that satisfy cravings of “food I used to eat”. Anyway, I had a thought as I was munching on one this morning… the dough is so amazing I wonder if I can turn it into a cinnamon roll recipe. I should mention that I use just a Tbsp of coconut oil and 1/4 c of almond milk (vanilla unsweetened). Plus I use coconut flour and stevia instead of honey or agave to further cut carbs. I let my cinnamon roll idea fester all day as you know this dough is super runny and I wasn’t sure how I could accomplish drying it out without losing the moist texture. I decided to use a baking sheet lined with foil and sprayed w canola oil and pour the batter to make a humongous rectangle. I let it cook just 5 min, pulled it from the oven and decided it was just not going to be a “rollable dough”. So I then sprinkled it with more cinnamonand added the splenda brown sugar baking blend lightly and returned to oven for another 5. OMG it came out amazing!!!! Light and moist and sweet. And it took all my willpower not to demolish the giant baking sheet. Great recipe. Thanks so much! I’ll let you know if I do create a cinnamon roll dough successfully from it. :)

144. Alissa says:

How about those chocolate brownie doughnuts. The kids in my classroom love doughnuts and they prefer chocolate. I make them a treat when they earn a reward because there are so many allergies and chocolate brownie would be perfect.

145. Julie says:

I make these a lot … A LOT!! My kids love them. To save time, I make them as mini muffins. I find that baking them on 350 for around 10-12 minutes does the trick. I just learned this neat little fact though – you can actually microwave a standard sized ramekin with about 2tbsp of the batter in it for 40 seconds and you get a nice moist muffin in a big hurry. We’re leaving for school in 10 minutes and the oven baked muffins are still too hot to eat so I used some of the left over batter to make quick ones. Woo hoo!!

146. Chamsa says:

I just made these and they really are fabulous. I used all whole wheat flour because that’s all I had. I didn’t add any of the optional add-ins because I wanted to taste the true recipe first. I also made them in a mini muffin tin. I’m going to make these for my son’s birthday (with the frosting of course!) and bring them in to school. I think next time I will reduce the oil because I do get an oily after taste. You must make these!

147. Liz says:

Love your site and the GF recipes. Our 7 yr old grandson is on GF so I make a lot of breakfasts and goodies for Jake.
    Thanks !

148. Rachel Richardson says:

These are awesome! I subbed 1 1/4c white rice flour and 3/4 c of teff flour to make them gluten free. I also added a couple Tbsp of chia seed. My kids and husband loved them! They have no idea they are healthy;)

149. Kim says:

Had some ripe bananas, so I came to your site looking for a way to use them and came across this recipe. I halved the recipe and used Manini’s multi-uso GF flour. I used maple syrup, but didn’t add any additional sweetener. Used coconut oil and coconut milk and added a bit of extra vanilla. The half recipe perfectly made 6 donuts. When I saw the recommended 30-35 minute bake time, I felt sure that was too much. Sure enough, I set my timer for 20 minutes, and that was just right. The donuts were golden brown and perfectly done. They are light, moist, and plenty sweet without the additional sweetener.

150. Sarah says:

I wish this recipe was called “banana bread doughnuts/muffins”! i’ve made your polka dot banana bread before, but never realized this was basically the same recipe, just cooked in doughnut pans… i searched the other polka dot & fat-free banana brea recipes for hours looking to see if anyone had made them into muffins….finally found a comment that recommended these! just a suggestion. can’t wait to make them for a cookout tomorrow.

151. Audrey says:

This recipe looks delicious! Cannot wait to make it once I buy and let overripen a bunch of bananas. And as for the fill in the blank: “My dream doughnut would include boysenberry puree in the center and whole wheat or spelt flour (soo much more flavor)!”

152. Amber says:

So would GF all purpose flour work?????

153. Kristy says:

can the spelt be substituted with almond flour?

154. Jeannie says:

made your carrot cake muffins and used sprouted whole wheat flour, otherwise followed recipe to the letter…fantastic! and I topped with Daiya cream cheese with shreds of coconut on top without even bothering with a proper frosting…They are easy to make and addictive…

155. Mary C says:

To make any recipe less fattening you can use sugar free applesauce in place of oils and butters use same amount indicated in recipe i.e 1/2 cup oil = 1/2 cup applesauce
    The density is thicker but still oh so good