Sign up for NEW free healthy recipes - Currently over 300,000 subscribers!

Banana Bread Breakfast Doughnuts

Move over, powdered jelly doughnuts… These sweet banana bread doughnuts resemble a thick slice of gooey banana bread, hot from the oven:

banana bread doughnuts

Doughnuts for breakfast!

Do you remember my sprinkly Cake Batter Doughnuts?

After that recipe, I ‘d planned to go on a doughnut-making roll. So many possibilities swirled in my head: peanut butter & jelly doughnuts, chocolate brownie doughnuts, blueberry muffin doughnuts… But I never ended up making any of them. That’s the problem with an idea; you have to actually do something with it, or it’ll stay an idea forever! Thankfully, the idea for banana bread doughnuts is no longer just an idea: it’s an absolutely-delicious breakfast treat… coming soon to a Dunkin’ Donuts near you.

Or not.

These "breakfast" doughnuts are healthy enough that they can actually be eaten as part of a nutritious breakfast... Am I the only one who's ever wanted to do that? >> Added to the must-try list!

Banana Bread Breakfast Doughnuts

• 2 cups spelt flour (or white, or Arrowhead Mills gf)
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 3/4 tsp baking powder
  • 3/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 cup oil, plus 2 tbsp milk of choice (If you prefer fat-free doughnuts, omit oil and increase milk to 1/3 cup.)
  • 1 and 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup agave or pure maple syrup (or honey for non-vegans)
  • 1 and 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
  • 1 stevia packet OR 1 tbsp more maple syrup
  • 2 cups tightly-packed, mashed banana, measured after mashing
  • optional: chocolate chips, walnuts, or shredded coconut

Preheat oven to 350 F. Combine dry ingredients, and mix well. In a separate bowl, combine wet ingredients and mix into dry. (Mix by hand, and don’t overmix.) If you have a doughnut pan, grease and pour in batter. If you don’t have a doughnut pan, you can make this recipe into muffins by using a muffin pan. Cook 30-35 minutes, or less if using a mini doughnut pan. I think the recipe yields about 14 doughnuts. I made 6 big doughnuts, two muffins, and quite a few mini doughnuts, because my doughnut pan wasn’t big enough for all the batter! And yes, these doughnuts can be frozen.

View Banana Donuts Nutrition Facts

banana donuts

banana doughnuts

I recommend this frosting recipe: Healthy Vanilla Fudge Frosting.

But you can also opt to top the doughnuts with coconut butter, peanut butter, a powdered-sugar glaze, vegan cream cheese frosting, jam, or whatever else you like to put on banana bread.

Tags: , , ,

1. I love warm banana bread from the oven so these would definitely rock my world. My dream doughnut? That’s tough. I’ve never been a jelly or cream filled fan – but I love custard filling. I suppose it would have to be a glazed longjohn stuffed with cream filling and a chocolate drizzle on top! Yum!

On second thought, I do love raspberry jam, so maybe a warm raspberry filling would work, as long as it wasn’t the cold canned jelly typically used.

Mmmm raspberry filling….

2. Ahhh these look delicious! I need a donut pan ASAP! I know I can make muffins instead but it just doesn’t have the same effect 😉 My dream donut has some sort of delicious vanilla/custardy filling inside!

1. ennaejay says:

bwahaha, I know right?! I made these as muffins today and, they came out so light and fluffy I wished with all my heart they were in a donut shape. I’ll have to look for one. You can always make CCK’s vanilla fudge frosting to drizzle on top 🙂

3. I haven’t had a doughnut in YEARS! Seriously, years! I need to buy a doughnut pan so that I can finally eat one again! Yummmmm!

4. My dream donut would include cinnamon, apples and frosting. plenty of frosting.

5. Love that these are sugar free since I gave up added sugars for Lent!

6. My dream donut would include pumpkin and chocolate.

I got a little worried when you recipe said chocolate was optional..>WHAT? Chocolate should never be optional 🙂

1. Sarah the official CCK drooler says:

+1- ditto- chocolate is not an option

7. My dream donut would include lemon and poppy seeds… but banana is the next best thing! These look great 🙂

8. Sarah the official CCK drooler says:

yes, I LOVE those boston cream pie donuts- also would love a Nutella filled one. YUMTOWN. with raspberry drizzle? Yes, please 🙂

9. Blueberry donut with almond frosting!!

10. Janie Kaiser says:

your genius continues to amaze me everyday!!

11. heather says:

Keep the doughnut recipes coming!! 🙂

12. Katerina says:

Hi Katie,

1st of all I need to thank you!!! You absolutely saved my life after being diagnosed with couple of food allergies…but your recipes are so perfect for me and so yummiee….. my life is even better than before finding your website (definitely healthier!)…. as I am from Czech Republic I was glad to discover I can buy stuff like almond milk or silk tofu here. Still, I have problem with stevia, especially for baking…can you write here for us outside US fans what kind of Stevia you use or how big is one packet (I found in shop only tablets and blended bulk stevia)… my baking seems to me a bit bitter and too much sweet so I obviously used wrong amount of it.. Can you help me in this?

And I can´t wait till weekend to try some new recipes from your blog!:)))
    Love from CZ

1. You can sub 1 tablespoon of sugar for one packet of stevia. 🙂
      I use NuNaturals packets, which also have maltodextrin for easier measuring.

2. NuNaturals makes a Stevia Baking Blend which you can use the same way as sugar (1:1 ratio), I love it and its what I always use!

3. Caitlin says:

I’m pretty sure one packet is about one teaspoon! (Someone correct me if I’m wrong)

1. Caitlin says:

Meaning, that one packet of Stevia contains about one teaspoon of Stevia inside….

1. One packet has 1/2 tsp but it is NOT pure stevia. So if you put 1/2 tsp pure stevia powder into a recipe calling for one packet, it’d be way too sweet.

1. Katerina says:

Thx for your answer…so is there any chance to measure how much of stevia powder I should use for one packet ( I used 1/2 tsp stevia powder before and it WAS too much sweet)..I really dont want to use sugar and want to give stevia another chance to show the magic:)

2. Katerina says:

Awesome! Thx!

3. Bethany Davis says:

Oh I wish that I liked stevia 🙁 I have tried, truly tried to make it become my sugar substitute but I can pick it out a mile away. I give it a try every now and again, but it just doesn’t work. I am doing research on agave as there are strong opinions on its health benefits (would love to find out that all of the nah-sayers are wrong) so I am cutting back on that. Looking at Yacon syrup but that is expensive for daily use…sigh….oh sugar, you are a retched mistress!

13. Kendra says:

Peanut butter cream filling sounds amazing!

14. Cat says:

Please, please make a king cake recipe! I love the cinnamony yumminess and cream cheese in a king cake! I make them throughout the year also. Did you know that 750,000 king cakes are sold in New Orleans each year?

1. I really wanted to! But now that Mardi Gras is over, I’ll probably not do it this year. I will have to remember for next year!

15. Lindsey says:

These look amazing! I must join everyone else by saying, I’m buying a doughnut pan ASAP.
    One question, what is the yellowy/orange substance in the sliced doughnut? It doesn’t look like banana. It looks like orange or lemon peel but I don’t see anything like that in the ingredients.

I’m bookmarking this recipe! Until of course you finish that cookbook! 🙂

1. LOL it is actually banana. 🙂

16. Thompson says:

Hi katie , first of al congratulations on your blog 🙂

Look , in my country stevia is a very very hard thing to find, i bought from ebay some stevia powder .So , the packet of stevia that you use is how much in grams ?

Thank you , i’m in a real quest to try allll of your recipes 😛
    so far so good

kiss from Portugal 😉

1. I’m not sure, because packets over here aren’t pure stevia. But the ones I buy are NuNaturals brand. And you can always sub 1 T sugar for 1 stevia packet.

1. Thompson says:

you katie , i’m on a low sugar diet , so therefor i’m going to use stevia . 😉 -thank you so so very much 🙂

Keep on the good work 😉

17. Samantha says:

Wow! I love your options for doughnuts! I will have to try some of these soon. Anything involving peanut butter really makes me excited.

The funny thing is, I never much cared for doughnuts until I became vegan. Most of the vegan options out there were far superior to anything I grew up occasionally eating. This is making me look at your other doughnut recipes! They are certainly way more healthy than anything being sold out there.

18. Anonymous says:

OMG. YUM. This looks like it’s going to happen Saturday morning. My bananas should be good and totally brown by then…. : )

19. Lindsey says:

I will be making these tonight! I just asked my three-year-old if she wanted to make something with our over-ripe bananas as we were driving to school today. Can’t wait! Good timing!

PS My dream donut…I’m thinking s’mores or peanut butter or brownie…