Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Reeses Peanut Butter Cup Baked Oatmeal

Let’s talk chocolate.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Baked Oatmeal from @choccoveredkt - For those times when you want to be healthy... but you also want to eat dessert for breakfast! Recipe link:

And peanut butter.

And chocolate.

Did I mention chocolate?

Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Baked Oatmeal - For those times when you want to be healthy... but you also want to eat dessert for breakfast! Recipe link:

Good News! Research is now saying that eating dessert for breakfast can actually be healthy. This is great news for me, as I’ve been eating dessert-type breakfasts for years and had no plans to stop. Today’s breakfast, for example, was chocolate peanut butter baked oatmeal.

I topped the peanut butter cup oatmeal with more chocolate: Healthy Chocolate Fudge Frosting.

For when you want to be healthy... but you also want to eat dessert for breakfast! Recipe link:

Was this breakfast, or was it really dessert? The puzzle confused my tastebuds. But with all that chocolate going on, it also made them very happy.

Reeses Peanut Butter Cup Baked Oatmeal

(serves 1)

• 1/2 cup rolled oats (50g)
  • 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup mashed banana (or sub another mashed fruit)
  • 1/4 cup milk of choice or nondairy creamer
  • pinch pure stevia OR 1 1/2 tbsp liquid sweetener such as maple syrup or agave (If using liquid sweetener, scale back the milk to just 2 tbsp)
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 1 tbsp cocoa powder
  • 1-2 tbsp peanut butter (or other nut butter or sunbutter)
  • Optional: handful of chocolate chips!

Reeses Oatmeal Recipe: Preheat oven to 380 degrees. Combine all ingredients and mix well. (If peanut butter was in the fridge, you might want to heat it up a little so it’s easier to stir.) Pour into a greased 1-cup ramekin, or two 1/2-cup ramekins, or a mini-loaf pan. Cook for 20 minutes or more, until it gets firm. Finally, set your oven to “high broil” for 3 more minutes, or until it reaches desired crispy-ness (or simply just bake longer, but broiling gives it a nice crust). Optional: top with the frosting recipe linked under the second photo of this post. You can even make this the night before, or make multiple servings at once and freeze leftovers for an instant breakfast! (A few readers have had success making this in the microwave, but I haven’t tried it.)

View Peanut Butter Cup Oatmeal Nutrition Facts

reeses oats

Do you ever eat chocolate at breakfast?

The more appropriate question for me would probably be: do I ever not eat chocolate at breakfast? And the answer would probably be no!

Link of the Day:

Almond Joy Breakfast Scones

Tags: , , , , ,

1. Lisa says:

I am so making this tomorrow after I go grocery shopping. Somehow I let myself run out of chocolate and pb. Oh the travesty of that!! Thanks for all the great recipes Katie!

2. this looks delicious! I pinned it !(:

3. Wow! This looks amazing! I might stir a little protein powder in mine.

1. Maybe chocolate protein powder in place of the cocoa powder? I’ll report back :)

1. I can’t see why that wouldn’t work. I use chocolate protein powder in my oatmeal all the time! However I add cocoa powder on top of that because I like it reallllyyyy chocolatey. :)

4. There really is no end to the chocolate madness! And I don’t think that’s a bad thing, either. What better way to make yourself feel more “at home” after a vacation then a delicious, chocolatey, healthy breakfast. Yum! Thanks for sharing :)

5. Wow, that looks pretty incredible, Katie! I’m not a big one for sweet breakfasts, but I’ve been known to throw some chocolate protein powder into some oatmeal for a post-workout morning breakfast spectacular!

6. I’m all about chocolate for breakfast! Every once in awhile I’ll add some cocoa powder to my oatmeal or top it with a few chocolate chips! Yum!

7. I have made a baked oatmeal like this and I LOVE it!!! Your pictures are gorgeous!!! Yum!! I want htis for breakfast now!

8. I used to eat chocolate at breakfast, but always made my other meals bland in comparison :)

Have you ever made breakfast bakes like these with quinoa flakes? I can’t eat oatmeal because of my wheat allergies (even g-free cause me discomfort!). I’d really like to try this though, except without peanut butter (another stupid allergy).

1. If you figure out how to make this with quinoa flakes please let me know! And I totally agree about the other meals being bland after a chocolaty breakfast… Chocolate oatmeal sets the bar pretty high for the rest of the day. Haha.

9. Danielle says:

Making this for lunch – I have pb2 and quick oats in the cupboard, so I’ll let you know how it turns out! So excited! :-)

1. Danielle says:

Those substitutions worked well – Other than that, I didn’t change a thing.
      After a quick taste test, I decided to top it with some of your frosting (mine turned out more like a choc pb glaze, probably because I used pb2 again, but glaze was fine!) and some fat free french vanilla creamer – I like things to be on the sweet side, so the creamer and glaze were perfect additions!
      SOOOOOOO YUMMY! Will definitely be making this again! Maybe even for dessert tonight since I’m having a friend over for dinner?!

1. Danielle says:

Rave reviews from my friend and my parents – I whipped up 2 batches and poured the batter into a 6 muffin pan (which fits perfectly in my toaster oven so I didn’t need to heat the house!) – everyone loved it with and without toppings!
        Toppings (individually and combinations thereof) we used were:
        Whipped Cream
        Crushed raspberry/strawberry combo with a sprinkle of stevia

Fantastic! Thanks for another great recipe!

2. Holly says:

Oh my goodness all your ideas sound SOOO good!! I think I’m going to make some right NOW to eat for breakfast tomorrow morning. Hopefully it will be as good if I refrigerate it….if I can wait that long. Hope I don’t end up eating it for dessert tonight. Anyhow…thanks for the ideas!!! Going to use quick oats myself!

10. Alanna says:

OMG – I must make this over the weekend. I’m almost out of pumpkin boatmeal and this sounds fantastic!

I sometimes have chocolate at breakfast, but usually only in small amounts (chips in oatmeal or granola bars). It feels like I’m getting away with something by having chocolate so early, hehe. And hooray for research on sweet breakfasts! 😀

11. Looks delicious! And yes I do sometimes eat dessert for breakfast. Just the other day I ate these beauties:
    But they had oats and fruit in them so they’re good for you :)

12. what a delicious way to start the day! yum!

13. Oooh this looks fantastic!

14. Rachel says:

this looks great! the title had me lol

15. This looks great katie! I like overnight oats with chocolate and fruit! Sounds so weird, but it tstes wonderful!

16. Ok I want this now! Chocolate and peanut butter for breakfast!!! I want some!

17. This looks amazing! I saw that dessert for breakfast study in a magazine a few weeks ago and I was like, “Katie’s been doing that forever! Brownie Batter Pancakes! Apple Pie Pancakes! CHEEEEEEESECAKE PANCAKES.” I have a Thin Mint oatmeal recipe on my blog, so I guess I’ve been doing that too :)

18. Michele says:

looks great! I love all your recipes :) I know you don’t focus on calorie counting since you’re not watching your weight, but I thought you might want to know that some of them are quite a bit off. In this one, 1/2 c of oats + 2 T of PB would be at 350 without any of the other add ins.

I know a lot of your recipes include variations (which is amazing, and so much work, I’m sure!), but it is a little misleading. And as someone who IS trying to monitor that, it was frustrating to realize I was drastically underestimating my intake unless I calculate them myself. I don’t mind, but I just wanted other people to be aware.

Love your blog… and impatiently waiting for tomorrow AM to try this :)

1. Hi Michelle,
      In this one you would use 1 tbsp pb for the calculations, because whenever there’s a varied amount you should always go with the lower amount for accurate results. Hope that helps!

2. Julia says:

Michele, I am too counting calories, but I always calculate them first and if the recipes end up being too high in points for my intake I divide it into several servings so that I am not tempted to eat all the calories at once. For example the Baked Cookie Dough oatmeal I usually make it in a mini-muffin tin that makes 12 mini muffins (and I will probably do the same with this recipe), that way each muffin only has one WW point instead of 12. It has really helped me enjoy all of the CCK recipes and keep losing weight, hope this helps!

19. Hannah says:

Have been meaning to try baked oatmeal to see what it’s like – this looks like a good one to start with! Just a quick question though – is this meant to serve as a full breakfast for one person? Had a look at the nutrition info and the whole thing is only 280 calories, which to me is more like a snack than a proper breakfast, especially for anyone who’s even remotely active! I’m a runner so there’s no way this would be enough for me to refuel on. Is there anything other than chocolate frosting you could recommend having with it to make it more of a substantial meal? I guess this question is for anyone who eats baked oatmeal for breakfast really – what do you usually have with it (if anything)? I guess I could just double the recipe, but it’d be great with some ideas for yummy accompaniments!

1. Yes, definitely. Use the higher amount of pb (the 2 tbsp) and you’re already up 100 calories. Then add the frosting or whatever topping you wish. And a smoothie or fresh fruit is a great side. All in all, it can become a 600+ calorie breakfast quite easily :).

1. Jenny D says:

I never understand why people post comments on here like this regarding the calorie content. In no way anywhere does this blog state that it is a meal plan blog. Also, so you are telling us, that whatever recipe you read off a blog or cookbook, you only make just that? So if you wanted to make lets say chicken for dinner (sorry, I know this is a Vegan blog but its what comes to mind) you look up a recipe and only make that because it doesn’t mention sides? You can’t think that for yourself? I don’t mean to come off sounding like a jerk but I am not understanding what makes this blog any different than any other recipe in that context.
        When I make something like this I either add protein powder or hard-boiled egg whites (sorry, I am not Vegan so if you are you will have to research your protein options) or even fruit on the side, more nut butters, etc. In fact, I add protein powder to every one of Katie’s milkshakes and she still lets me read her blog even though I make minor changes here and there;)

20. Lizzie says:

Yummy! I LOVE your boatmeal for one recipes. My fiance and I can each pick what flavor we want :) My favorite is banana bread, his is cinnamon roll.

21. Anne Karner says:

This looks delicious. I prefer to incorporate more protein in my meals, but I bet adding a scoop of chocolate protein powder to this mix wouldn’t change the flavor profile too much and while boosting the protein.

22. Brigitte says:

Can’t wait to try this! I love peanut butter and oatmeal together. I have my very first baked oatmeal in the oven as we speak :)

23. Janet says:

This looks fantastic! I think I even have all the ingredients to make this (not sure what kind of oats I have though – rolled vs. quick). I may frost it with Nutella instead of making my own or eating it plain. YUM!

24. Kit-Kat says:

I bet this would taste great with vegan PB cups IN the baked oatmeal, or even melted on top!

25. Shannon K. says:

I’m trying this tomorrow. I’ve been wanting to try baked oatmeal…but haven’t found one that appeals enough yet. This definitely does. Two questions though…one: If I don’t want banana or another fruit, what could I sub? Would Greek yogurt be gross? Two: Any chance you could look into the plug-in that allows us to print your recipes with a click?? It’d be GREATLY appreciated :)

1. I bet some sort of yogurt would be fine!
      About the plugin: right now my site has a corrupt file that doesn’t allow new plugins, so I need to figure out how to fix it first :(

26. Julia says:

CCK I’m curious you thoughts about links between use of stevia and infertility? I have noticed you use it in a lot of your recipes an wondered if you had a concerns about these studies?

1. Jenny D says:

I know your question is geared towards Katie, but I just wanted to chime in. You are the first person I have seen actually say this! Years ago (about 4) I had gotten into clean eating after a extremely bad reaction to Splenda. Stevia was just starting to get its name out there and in all the Clean Eating mags they included this. Since now I always check side effects of everything, I looked into Stevia and yes, while nothing is concrete they were finding Stevia having ill effects on reproductive organs. We were trying for baby #3 so I immediately threw out what Stevia I bought and never have bought it again. I mean, you never know. They say things are safe and then 10 years later they come back saying *oops*. I will use white sugar over anything else if I have to. And don’t get me started on how awful Agave is but everyone thinks its so great. It’s more processed than high fructose corn syrup! I stick with maple and date sugar but mostly use coconut palm crystals. Sorry for the long post but like I said, everyones so in love with that stuff I have never seen anyone actually say this!

27. Amelia says:

HOLY WOW. I woke up, saw this, made this, ate this, and now BLISS. Is it a dessert? Is it breakfast? Who cares?! It’s delicious and I’m raring to go on my six-hour hike up in the mountains now. Thank you, never would’ve known my day could start this decadently!

28. Omg this looks like it might be one of my favorite recipes that you’ve ever posted!! I am going to make this asap!! I love your baked oatmeal recipes and this looks like the best one yet! I might add a little Dark Chocolate PB dreams on top for frosting 😉

29. Sarah says:

This looks delicious!! I ALWAYS have chocolate or something sweet with my breakfast (and as my pre workout meal before breakfast ;))

30. funny, i just put a strawberries n “cream” baked oatmeal in my oven, decided to read my blogroll while I waited for it to bake and came across your breakfast! I do think chocolate is great any time of the day, but sometimes chocolate and pb sit heavy with me if I eat it too early.

31. Christy says:

This sounds delicious! Do you think it would work with Steel Cut Oatmeal? I might try it. I am type 2 diabetic and can’t eat regular oats because they cause my bloodsugar to spike. Thanks!

32. I say chocolate makes it’s way into my breakfast at least 4-5 days a week. Chocolate in some form – every day. It’s good for the soul. :-)

33. Donna says:

Trying to avoid grains, so in some of your recipes I’ve substituted raw hemp seed for oatmeal and it works beautifully and adds a bunch more protein! Haven’t tried it in this one yet, but I’ll bet it would work!

34. Bryn says:

I’ve made boatmeal every day this week for breakfast and I’m addicted! It is such a yummy and filling breakfast and feels so indulgent! I look forward to waking up and eating a new boatmeal flavor with my cup of coffee!! I just had the chocolate chip boatmeal for breakfast and it was heavenly! I topped it with peanut butter and had that yummy PB/chocolate taste! Can’t wait to try this one- keep the boatmeal coming!!

35. Jill says:

This is definite must make! My kids would love it. Thanks for sharing!!

36. Looks like another winner!! And yes, I “occasionally” have chocolate for breakfast :)

37. I love dessert anytime so this sounds good to me! I love making what I call Apple Pie Oats, it’s like eating apple pie for breakfast!

38. Sahar says:

Hi Katie!

Can I sub something else besides the fruit?? I’m not a fan of fruit in my oatmeal :-( Other than that it looks amaaaaaaazing!!

1. Maybe some kind of yogurt, like Wholesoy… or even Greek yogurt like SoDelicious brand?

1. Sahar says:

I will try that, thank you! xo

39. Kylie says:

I have this in the oven now, but the “batter” was awesome. The frosting is equally awesome, and I am actually having this for lunch since green smoothies are almost always my breakfast. I honestly wish you had a separate savory blog because I have loved so many of your chocolate blogs that I am curious what a savory blog from you would be like. lol I know you are busy, though. I won’t keep my hopes up, but I know your book is going to be fantastic.

1. Honestly, I’m with you… but I also wish there were more time in the day to even TRY all the savory ideas I have :(

40. Oh my!!! I’ll take dessert for breakfast any day. I have been known to drop a few chocolate chips in my oatmeal……accidentally, of course! 😉

41. Mackenzie says:

When I first saw the title I was like oh yeah, I had a feeling that was coming. 😛 😀

42. Mallory says:

OMG yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuum!

43. keetCh* says:

So I totally tried this this morning! I only ha steel cut oats however, and I used a whole banana and too much stevia. It looked awesome and I took some sweet photos but it did NOT turn out like yours I’m guessing. I only ate half..just didn’t taste that good. But it was fun to try! I will leave out all forms of stevia from now on…bleh! I usually like stevia too! Just not in baked goods apparently. Or in anything other than the Zevia soda. I’m sure if I followed ur recipe to the T it would have been spot on. I, like you, tend to not like to oversweeten things. The banana would have been enough in there :)

1. keetCh* says:

p.s. are you on instagram? because I wanted to link my photo of this to you if you have one :)

44. Joanna says:

OMG, that looks amazing!
    I do something very similar to this with my usual morning oatmeal but sometimes you just gotta do the boatmeal. 😉

45. Karla says:

Breakfast for me and the kiddos is usually pancakes, french toast or baked oatmeal. For the latter, I almost always use some sort of variation of your cookie dough oatmeal; I use it as a base and add other things, like frozen berries or whatever. I love the idea of adding unsweetened applesauce, and do the same thing with my other oatmeal recipes. And I *always* add dark chocolate chips. :)

46. This looks and sounds ever so good!
    Love this post :)

47. Laura says:

Is it bad that I sometimes just eat That frosting for breakfast? It’s especially yummy after about an hour in the freezer, like fudge! (my weakness!!!)

48. Joy Y. says:

Okay, so this sounds delish! Can’t wait to try it.

I have a question, though. I am baby-sitting 5 extra kiddos tomorrow, (besides my own 5), and so have a crew to feed breakfast to. If you were to multiply this recipe by (alot!), what type of pan do you think best to use? I thought maybe my glass 9 x 13? Hate asking questions to busy bloggers unless I am desperate.

Thanks for a beautiful looking, and I’m sure tasting, recipe!

By the way…chocolate for breakfast? I think I relished half a pan of these chocolate protein bars, this morning:

1. Alanna says:

Do you happen to have a mini bread loaf pan or two? I normally quadruple the boatmeal recipes and make in a big pan with four mini loaf spaces, so I would suggest that if you have one. Otherwise a 9×13 or another loaf pan should work… you just might have to play around with the baking time to make sure the middle is done.

1. Joy Y. says:

No, unfortunately I only have regular size loaf pans. I have a pan for mini bundt cakes…wonder if that would work? Don’t want to make a huge batch and have the middle not cook through….hmmm. What to do…what to do.

2. Alanna says:

Hmm, mini bundt cake pans could work… I think (based on the pictures) that Katie uses mini-ramekins, so anything that will result in a similar width/depth for the oatmeal should bake in a comparable timeframe. Good luck!

3. Ashley says:

Joy, I used my small pyrex “storage” containers. Worked perfectly!

2. Sorry, I’ve never tried it so I really can’t say if it’ll work.
      I do know that I’ve used a 9×13 pan for a version of the banana one that yields 10 servings (so sorta multiplied the recipe by ten, but I also made a lot of changes).

49. BroccoliHut says:

I love adding cocoa powder to my morning oats or smoothies. Chocolate chips often make an appearance too!

50. Rebecca says:

A handful of chocolate chips is never optional in my opinion!

51. Shari says:

Love this and all of your recipes!!! Chocolate for breakfast – you just made my four year old the happiest little boy!

BTW: I’m an avid follower and huge fan! My little ones know when I’m looking at this blog, something awesome is about to happen in our kitchen! Thanks for that!

52. mmmm-mmmmm! says:

Went directly to the kitchen to make this — it’s in the oven now! I hope you’re allowed to use names like “Reeses” in your cookbook! It describes this recipe so perfectly!

53. Denise says:

I just made this with two changes. I didn’t have any bananas, so I used Chobani Champions Vanilla with Chocolate Chunks yogurt and my son is allergic to peanuts, so I used TJ’s Sunflower Butter. My kids are gulping it down as quickly as they can and my son just asked if he can have it for breakfast tomorrow! Thank you!!

54. Caralyn says:

yes, and I love doing it! :)

55. Stacey says:

Katie, you had me at peanut butter- chocolate! This looks super yummy! I have made a lot of your recipes and they have all been consistently delicious!! Your site and blog are the best! Thank you so much for posting these gems! You are a creative genius !

56. Chocolate + peanut butter + banana = breakfast heaven! Love this!

57. Amanda says:

can’t wait to try this!! looks amazing. I live in NYC and I feel so lucky cause there are so many amazing places….

you NEED to try Stogo ice cream shop before you leave: it’s this amazing little ice cream place where you can create your own cookie sandwich (choose the cookie and the ice cream flavor, and it’s to die for).

You also need to go to Candle Cafe or Candle 79, maybe not the “healthiest” of vegan foods but it is really really yummy !

also if you happen to be in downtown noho, like bowery and bond, there is a café called THINK that isn’t vegan, but they have a really good chocolate covered peanut butter bar :)

Hope you enjoy your stay :)

58. OMG desert for breakfast is my favourite thing in the world. I figure why not start the day with something you love, instead of waiting until the end of the day? Plus, as Katie said, it *is* healthier to have your sweets earlier in the day as that way you have 1) more time to digest them and 2) more time to burn the energy/fat from them.
    I am so happy to find recipes like this though, as they look delicious and would fill the desert craving, but still be healthier than just having a slice of cake for breakfast, hehe :)

59. vogelstar says:

all the time. it’s a running joke at work and no longer shocks anyone to see me with chocolate in my mouth at 8am

60. I see absolutely no shame in eating chocolate for breakfast as long as it is filled with sugar. I love chocolate protein shakes and chocolate oatmeal in the morning! Yummy!

61. Misty says:

Wow, this is pretty much the exact recipe I have been using for my breakfast oatmeal pudding. The only differences are that I add another 1/2 cup water/milk, microwave for 2 minutes, then add 1 tsp psyllium husk powder and stir. The psyllium gelatinizes to give a pudding texture (and of course adds fiber). You do make that baked version look really good with the frosting though! I think when I try it, I’ll do your Reeses Pieces frosting for extra peanut butter chocolatey goodness :)

1. Misty says:

I just saw that the link to the chocolate fudge frosting is the Reeses Pieces frosting! 😛

62. Bek @ Crave says:

That looks so good! I am definitely trying this and I have all the ingredients for once! How much liquid stevia concentrate would you use? Would you scale down the milk in that instance? I don’t generally have dessert like breakfasts but sometimes if I have a crepe with almond butter, nuts and bananas it feels like dessert :) those breakfasts aren’t often though. Would you count oats with honey and banana as a breakfast dessert? Hmm.

1. Sorry, I haven’t tried it with liquid stevia so I really don’t know.

63. Kayley says:

Wait, what research?? Just curious… I know I do better when I satisfy my sweet tooth, but I am wondering if there is any real science behind the claim.

1. I just remember seeing studies recently. Maybe The New York Times? A lot of people were commenting a few months ago, leaving me the links about it, but I don’t remember a specific link.

1. Ok, now I feel a little dumb 😕

2. Alanna says:

Lol don’t feel dumb… It was almost 6 months ago, and I’m sure you have people asking to feature recipes on other sites all the time! 😉

64. I ALWAYS eat something sweet for breakfast, whether it be puffed rice bars (packed with almond butter, carob, dried fruit!) or biscotti..the list goes on! All I know is I don’t particularly have issues with my weight…could it be because my “weak” time is in the morning and not in the evening, and therefore I burn everything off during the day?! Whatever it is, it works for me AND I get to indulge every day without feeling guilty!!!! By the way, I’m not an oatmeal fan per say, but this recipe looks amazing!!!

65. Inlove with chocolate and bananas says:

I eat dessert for breakfast as often as I can.. just yesterday I had 3 (yes 3, I don’t think it’s possible to have only one cookie) oatmeal chocolate chip cookies (they have bananas and chocolate in them so they’re a big YES for me :D) and a cup of yogurt. It’s a great breakfast because you feel like it’s going to be an awesome day when it starts with chocolate!! Great recipe I’m going to try it very soon! :)

66. Cinnamon says:

Why, why, why am I out of peanutbutter?! D:

67. Luu says:

Hmmmmmm. this looks so delicious! I never tried it with PB but I love Baked Oatmeal! <3

68. Katie, where did you actually read about the research?

2. Alanna says:

See a few posts above. :)

69. Maria says:

Looks good, and I will probably try it, but I just wanted to point out that the Nutrition info is a little off. I calculated it without the chocolate chips or frosting, and only 1 T of peanut butter and I still got 340 calories (as opposed to the 280 listed). If you add in the optional (chocolate chips, frosting and another T of peanut butter) it goes over 500 calories. It looks like a yummy dessert though. Thanks!

1. Mom of 2 says:

I think her nutrition facts are ok the way they are.

How do you get 340? It’s 150 oats, 100 pb, maybe 10 for the banana and for the milk each? Then I think it is around 280-290 with the cocoa.

1. Maria says:

Ingredients Calories
        Old Fashioned Rolled Oats – Dry, 1/2 cup 150
        Pure Vanilla Extract, 0.25 tsp. 3
        Mashed Banana, 0.25 cup 50
        1% Milk , 2 oz 28
        Truvia – Packet, 1 packet 0
        Spices – Salt, table, 1 dash 0
        Hershey Cocoa – Natural Unsweetened Powder 1 TBSP 10
        Peanut Butter 1 Tbsp 95

Total: 336

Then if you add chocolate chips, frosting and another T of PB, it will be over 500

2. Mom of 2 says:

I used unsweet almond milk. It’s only like 7 cals for 1/4c! :)

3. Alanna says:

The nutritional info that Katie posts will not include optional ingredients (choc chips and frosting) and will use the lowest sweetener and milk options (stevia and probably soy or almond mik), which is close to what you calculated already.

4. Unbiased Viewer :D says:

I’m pretty sure Maria is right. Oatmeal is 300 calories for 80 grams, or 187.5 (decimals, I know, lol). Mashed banana is 200 calories per cup, or 50 calories for 1/4 cup. Almond milk is about 9 calories per 1/4 cup. Cocoa powder is 10 calories per tbsp. Peanut butter is about 100 calories per tbsp depending on brand. That is about 357 calories, not 280.

I just wanted to comment. I think that it’s awesome that Katie tries to post the nutritional information, especially because she herself doesn’t use it. As always though, nutritional counts are off depending on the way someone measures, in this case almost 100 calories. If you are trying to lose weight, calculate it for yourself to be sure…

There should be no harm in a comment concerned with calories. I think just her measurement is different than the norm…

5. Alanna says:

I don’t disagree; I just think that people should realize Katie posts them as a favor and rough estimate, and that anyone concerned with calories should calculate for themselves since their exact ingredients won’t always be the same. I personally divide the boatmeals in half because I’m not super-hungry in the morning, so I might use 2 Tbsp PB rather than 1 because for me it’ll be two servings. There are so many combinations that you just can’t realistically cover them all with one count, and I don’t see a difference in 40-50 calories as worth getting worked up about. Just my $0.02, not intended to offend anyone. :)

6. anonymous says:

@unbiased viewer,
        It’s also 50 grams, not 80 grams. That could make the difference in your calculations.
        I agree with you, though, about that people should calculate for themselves if they want anything more than a rough estimate, because different brands can alter amounts. I got 300 calories, and I calculated with soy milk.

7. Oatmeal Fan says:

I calculated the calories too and came up with 370 using the minimum PB amount, no extra sweetener, no chocolate chips, and Almond Breeze (the lowest-cal milk out there). All amounts from the Calorie King database:

50 g oats – 190
        1/4 t vanilla extract – 3
        1/4 c mashed banana – 50
        14 c almond milk – 10
        salt – 0
        1 T cocoa – 12
        1 T natural peanut butter – 105
        TOTAL: 370

I am posting this because I think that blog comments can provide value to other readers, not to harp or criticize anyone. I would be happy and grateful for Katie’s wonderful recipes no matter the calorie count.

I don’t think 90 calories are the end of the world, but if you are trying to lose weight, it can be worth knowing. At the same time I know that calorie talk, to those who aren’t counting, can be tedious at best or an upsetting trigger at worst.

Katie, maybe you could open your “nutrition info” pages for comment? Then those who want to discuss calories, etc. could have a dedicated place to do so, without invading the other commentary. It would give you more threads to monitor, but maybe fewer spats among commenters.

Thank you for your creativity & generous spirit!

70. Liz says:

This was just breakfast! I adore all your boatmeal recipes, so I already knew this would be a good one. And how could it not be, when its chocolate and oatmeal and peanut butter, right? Anyway, I wasn’t disappointed!

71. Alexa says:

This was soooo delicious! I’ve been dying to make it since I saw the amazing pictures. I doubled mine and made it in a mini loaf pan, and topped with the suggested frosting! Not sure if it was my cocoa powder or what, but both the oatmeal and the frosting have a bit of a dark chocolate “bitter” taste to them. Maybe I should have upped the sweetener; I used 1 stevie packet + 4 tsp agave (for a double batch).
    I also did it AGAIN and made another double batch but with applesauce; it worked fine, but I would suggest decreasing the liquid because it’s way more runny than the banana one!!

72. That looks so so so good!!! There is nothing better than peanut butter and chocolate together! I would definitely love this for dessert. :)

73. Moe Purple says:

I make my oatmeal very similar to his, except I don’t bake it! I freeze it as chocolates.(:
    Yummy and delicious!

74. Leah Shepard says:

Katie-I LOVE baked oatmeal and your blog in general-your recipes are a good base for variations and gluten free recipes, I just made a pumpkin spice-carrot cake baked boatmeal-so good!

75. Stacie says:

Oooh this looks so good. I love oatmeal and pb cups so the
    2 together has to be awesome. I was wondering if you have ever tried a fruit baked oatmeal? Not with the mashed bananas or applesauce but like peach or blueberry boatmeal.

1. I haven’t… blueberry sounds delicious, though!

76. Nikki says:

Do I eat chocolate for breakfast?! Is the pope Catholic??? 😉
    This is great, Katie. I was wondering . . . do you use sweetened cocoa powder or unsweetened? Could you sub chocolate flavored protein powder for the cocoa? Thanks!

-Much love from Germany

1. emily says:

I laughed so hard at this comment! so funny!
      and I have a chocolate banana blueberry smoothie everyday. but that only puts a small dent in my chocolate consumption throughout the day :)

2. Unsweetened, but sweetened would be fine as well!
      Haven’t tried it with protein powder.

77. Lily says:

Hi Katie!
    At first i have to say i loooove your blog:) I read every single post and yesterday i made the snickerdoodle blondies for my friens and they were truly amazing! they loved them and when i told them they were made of chickpeas, they couldn’t believe it 😀
    -sorry if i write too much-
    Where i live in germany, Chickpeas are called “Kichererbsen” which means literally “Gigglepeas”. I hope you could understand what i meant.
    Now i still have a question: How do you calculate your nutrition information? If i calculate, just the rolled oats have ~190 calories. Do you maybe use special oats?
    Thank you very much for your wonderful blog and greetings from cologne! :)

1. Hi Lily,
      Maybe different countries list oats differently? In the US a 1/2cup of oats is 150 calories. I usually calculate my nutrition facts using a free service from Spark Recipes.

Love the fact that chickpeas are called gigglepeas!

78. Rachel says:

I just enjoyed this as my post long run treat! It was delicious topped with some Nutella. One thing I would do next time is skip the stevia for real sugar or xylitol baking blend. The stevia had a really bad aftertaste this time (and I use stevia in a lot of other foods).

79. Moni Meals says:

I can’t wait to try this KATIE! Perfect to go with pre and post workouts too. Thanks and have a great weekend!!

80. Marie-Anne says:

Hi Katie,
    I just wanted to let you know that I nominated your blog for a Food Stories Award ( I was nominated myself – the deal is that all nominees have to present 5 blogs that they like, and I chose yours (you can see my post here – I hope you like it:

I can’t wait to try this recipe – it looks AMAZING! Keep on cookin’!

1. Thank you so much! That made my day :).

81. Elise says:

Katie, could you bake this ahead of time (the night before perhaps) and re-heat it in the morning? Or would it lose the texture?

1. Alanna says:

You definitely can… I often make four at a time, freeze them, and put one in the fridge before bed to thaw for the next morning’s breakfast. Works great!

82. Maria Nyholm says:

This looks really yummy, but I don’t see how this entire serving can be only 280 calories. As far as I know 100 g of oats contains 370 calories so 50 g of oats should contain 185 calories. 1 tbsp. peanut butter holds around 100 calories. So that’s already 285 calories not counting in banana, milk or cocoa powder. Is it just a typo or do we have different nutrition data information?

1. Hi Maria,
      I calculated it by cup measurements. 1/2 cup oats is 150 calories.
      Hope that helps!

83. melltuga says:

Hey Katie,

I’m from Germany, and it’s very hard to find good vegan chocolate-chips here. Do you have a recipe for DIY-Chocolate-Chips? You use them so often, and I always feel like I’m missing out on something 😀

1. I do have these (break up the bars for chips)
      I’m not sure how they’d stand in cooked recipes, but if you want them in raw recipes they work great! Or you can always chop up any regular chocolate bar to make chips.

1. melltuga says:

Great, I will try that recipe. Thank you :>

84. Alanna says:

Oh yum… Made this last night and had for breakfast this morning. Delicious! I didn’t have any milk on hand so I used water instead, and it was still super-satisfying. I probably could have cut back the sugar a bit with the banana in there (I used 1 T) but could be my PB is sweeter as well. Definitely looking forward to eating the rest of these during the week! :)

85. Maeve says:

Hi Katie! Love your blog SO much [especially the baked oatmeal – I have a variation of it almost everyday] I just wanted to see if you’ve ever heard of powdered peanut butter, because I’m hooked on this stuff. Here’s the website, it’s all organic, and made with peanuts, coconut sugar, and salt. It has 85% less fat, and only 45 calories for 2 tablespoons. I’ve been making alot of your desserts with this instead of regular peanut butter, which I find is a great alternative! Just figured you’d like to try it out too.

86. Emily says:

This was a fantastic breakfast this morning after my run! Thank you for all your great recipes!

87. Elise says:

Had this for lunch… yummie! I used strawberries instead of bananas, and tahini for the peanut butter, and it was delicious! Thanks Katie.

88. Dana says:

Wondering if this would work in the microwave and if anyone has tried it? And, if so, how did it turn out? I hate the idea of heating up the whole oven (and kitchen) for just one serving!

89. Elli says:

Unfortunately the banana flavor was quite prominent in this. If I added chocolate to the top, maybe it would mask that flavor, but I didn’t want to add the extra calories. Nice texture, though!

1. You could always use applesauce or pumpkin… or even baby food prune puree!

1. Elli says:

Great ideas. Definitely want to try it again. :)

90. Ashley says:

Oh my stars, Katie. This is the most delicious breakfast I’ve ever eaten! I kept thinking, “There’s no way this is good for me. There’s no way.” I can’t thank you enough for sharing this recipe. I’m at a loss for words!

91. Sarah says:

well, hello tm mornings breakfast! YUM

92. Elle says:

Hahaha must be why I love my chocolate chip pancakes on sundays!! Doesn’t really interfere with my regular diet and I get to indulge!

93. Amy G says:

When I first told my husband about your site, he said, “why make healthy dessert?” A few recipes later (including this amazing oatmeal!), and he now is excited for one of your recipes! Thanks for all of your work!

94. Stacey says:

Hi Katie, I plan on making this tomorrow, but I’m unsure about the cocoa powder. Is it the unsweetened stuff, or the sweetened stuff (like nestle quick drink mix)?

1. Mary says:

Hi Stacey!
      In the above comments, Katie said that she used unsweetened cocoa.

95. Mary says:

I made this for breakfast today with applesauce instead of banana, hersheys special dark cocoa, and ommited the sweetner. I underbaked it just a little so the texture was softer, and fluffy like chocolate cake! My only complaint is that the peanut butter flavor just barely came through; I could smell the peanut butter, but I couldn’t really taste it that much. I used 1 Tbsp peanut butter, so the next time I make this (and there will most certainly be a next time!) I will increase it to 2 Tbsp. I highly reccomend this recipe!!!!!

1. Elizabeth says:

I used 2 Tbs PB in my first try, and I still didn’t get a strong PB flavour either. Actually, banana was the dominant taste so perhaps I should use a scant 1/4 cup, or applesauce instead. I would save the 2nd TBS of PB for frosting instead, although while good, it certainly didn’t need it. The texture – I did bake it till it had a crust – was wonderful.

96. Lissa says:

I just made this in the microwave and HOLY CRAP it’s amazing. It’s not really a ‘baked’ oatmeal, it doesn’t stay together, but it’s gooey and chocolaty and super dense and just fantastic. I used mashed strawberries instead of banana, so that might have explained the texture beyond the microwave. I put it in a mug, and microwaved it for about five minutes total; first two minutes, then thirty second or one minute intervals to keep it from boiling over. Great recipe!

97. Emily says:

Made this into breakfast COOKIES instead of 1 loaf and thy were amaaazzzing!!! Just form into cookie shapes (I spread into the bottoms of a muffin pan) and cooked a little less time and they were perfect! Chewy / crispy deliciousness!!! :)

98. Karen says:

I added 2 tablespoons of ground flax seed and a little extra almond milk! Can’t wait to reheat in the am for breakfast!

99. Jessica says:

Thank you for the amazing recipe! I was looking for baked oatmeal recipes to try this weekend cuz i had never had it before. I am so glad i was out of eggs and had to search for a vegan one!

100. Jessica says:

i forgot to add that we did make frosting for it. if you really love chocolate it needs the frosting. i was more satisfied by this than the two ice cream cones i shouldn’t have eaten last night lol

101. NinaBean says:

380 degrees?

102. Sarah says:

made this as a treat for myself this morning. Yum! I’ll be back to your site for more!

103. Lia says:

This looks AMAZING… any way to leave out the sugar (1 nunaturals stevia packet or 1 1/2 tbsp liquid sweetener such as maple syrup or agave)?

104. Kaitlan says:

Made this without cocoa powder (didnt have any) and looooved it!! So yummy, thank you!

105. Cristina says:

You have so many great recipes this is one of many I pinned. Thank-you

106. Gretchen says:

Katie, all your recipes are awesome! It’s tough to choose one. I repinned this one because I LOVE peanut butter and chocolate for breakfast.

107. Monica says:

I have fallen in love with “boatmeal”… I needed to have some today. I found this recipe and decided it was a home run for my cravings!! I didn’t have most of the ingredients since I was at my mom’s house, but I used chocolate almond milk, a big dollop of peanut butter, and some oats. I dropped in a little bit of agave. It was so delicious! I think I might have used a bit too much pb as it was realllly rich, but I ate it slowly and enjoyed it. Yummmmm

108. ACM says:

Hi, someone whose name I cannot recall made this in their toaster oven. I just purchased my first toaster oven and am wondering at what temperature you baked it. Many thanks! Can’t wait to try this…and to check out all your other recipes, Chocolate Covered Katie!

109. Barry says:

First time I have been to your site, and have to say you have done a great job – btw, sorry if you are a coywboys fan – oops. I made this adding a scoop of chocolate protein powder, cacao powder for the cocoa, and crunchy almond butter – and thought it tasted extra ‘chocolately’ great. With the protein it was 438 calories, and without it would be 318,

110. Mary says:

This is my first time trying a recipe of yours (I just discovered you days ago, I’m not sure how this is possible!). I was expecting it to taste okay but it was FANTASTIC. So much more rich and chocolately than I was anticipating. Freaking awesome 😀 I totally felt like I was indulging. Perfect way to squeeze in more oats without it feeling like torture lol.

111. Didi says:

I thought I’d love this. I really did. I adore chocolate. I made it with the chocolate sauce, but it was way too rich for me. I think next time I’ll omit the chocolate frosting, and I think it’ll be WAY better for my taste buds. I love the idea, but I guess my sweet tooth just isn’t what your typical American’s is!

112. Kgatt says:

Has anyone has success making this with irish cut oatmeal? Don’t have any instant oats at home!

113. Nancy S. says:

Hi Katie,
    I finally made this for breakfast today and it was delicious!!! Thank you for creating such awesome tasting recipes that are also good for you!! I love your site!

114. Nancy S. says:

Forgot to add, have you ever tried making this with 1/2 cup cooked Quinoa instead of the oats?

115. Gwen says:

Wowww! Soooooo delicious!! I didn’t have the remkins or whatever they’re called, so after an experimental first batch I realized I can just double the recipe and then put it into muffin/cupcake pan and have a dozen mini baked pb oatmeal pies!!! Yummmmm!!

116. Chanelle says:

Can i use a mug?

117. Denise hicks says:

Made this for breakfast this morning. Omitted the extra sweetener and drizzled with melted peanut butter instead. Soooooo good! Question though – do you think that this can be pre made and frozen for a quick breakfast reheat?

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

I do it all the time with many of her recipes. They’re great for quick and healthy treat when I don’t have a lot of time, which is often!

118. Anonymous says:

Does anyone know if you can substitute normal pancake syrup for the maple syrup?

119. Amy H-F says:

I just made this to surprise my room mate with tomorrow on her birthday! I’m in a dorm so I microwaved it… it didn’t stick together so I ended up using the rest of the banana to “glue” together the two parts that it separated into…worked pretty well. Now it looks cool because it has a banana layer! :)
    Oh! I think I put too much in the ramekin (0.0) and that’s why it didn’t stick together. I “iced” it with specks of coconut butter that melted since it was fresh out of the microwave… it looks very decadent! Now if only I can scrounge up a candle! :)

120. Kate says:

I LOVE your boat meal recipes… They’re genius! I always grind up the oats a bit in my idk-what-it’s-called-but-it-grinds-up-things and add a tablespoon of flax meal and a 1/4 t. Of baking powder…. It becomes even more cake like, with even more calories (from the flax) but no extra sugar. 😀 I wish there was a way to combine my yucky-but-healthy fruit and protein smooths with something so yummy and quick…

121. Eva W. says:

Your Oatmeal recipes have been so helpful to me! We are starting the Feingold program this week- it eliminates all artificial flavors so the oatmeal I was buying no longer works. I have tons of ideas to flavor oatmeal so that my 3 year old son (and me!) will eat it!

122. Susan says:

Hi Katie,
    My daughters and I LOVE your recipes — Here is a link to our blog where we posted about making this one… We love it! Thanks so much for making our cooking healthy and delicious :)

123. Nick says:

Hey katie! First post here and would like to say how much I love your blog! Ive tried a bunch of your recipes over the past couple weeks and not one has failed me yet. This was my first recipe and love love it! Ive made it 4 times, ive done choc/pb, pumpkin pie, carrot cake and I made up my own apple pie version(with pb) and it was my fav by far.

124. S says:

is it weird that i love the batter more than the baked oatmeal?

125. Anonymous says:

Made your chocolate oatmeal the other day and would like to say thank you for sharing your scrumptious recipe. I did go a bit wild and add Almond Joy coffee creamer to it though. Now by no means did it keep with the sugar free theme but it was an amazing addition to an already tasty and healthy breakfast. I am looking forward to trying more of your recipes.

126. Lyndsey says:

I had this for breakfast this morning. My younger sister, who is not an oatmeal fan( I know, I know) walked into the room and said, “Lyndsey gets a brownie for breakfast?” I thought you would like to know that your healthy recipe smells, looks, and tastes like warm peanut butter brownie. Yum!

127. Janet says:

This is delicious! I made it tonight using the extra dark chocolate cocoa. It reminds me of no bake chocolate peanut butter oatmeal cookies, but BETTER! And HEALTHY. Everything in this is good for you. I used raw honey for my sweetner in the icing, plus all natural crunchy peanut butter. I cooked mine in a muffin pan. It made 4. Thanks for this great recipe.

128. Trisha Smith says:

I made this tonight, I used PB2 and a scoop of vanilla protein powder, left out the extra stevia since my protein powder is already sweetened with it. Yum! I had just a bite and I will be eating it for breakfast tomorrow.

129. Courtney says:

I made a double batch last night! Oh my gosh it was one of the best things I have ever had. It is going to be my go to “dessert” when I want the taste of a brownie, Bravo.

130. Beth says:

So I have to say I quadrupled this recipe from the get go. I quickly learned that it is two bananas and it makes a perfect 12 regular size muffins or 6 large muffins. I can’t get enough of these or the other stuff you have created, Katie. I’m on a special diet for my little one and nearly all of your recipes work! My husband even loves them, too!

131. Grace says:

This was SOOOO good! Thank you for the recipe! I have the Cinnamon Roll Baked Oatmeal in the oven now. I’m sure it will be just as good :)

132. Julia says:

My new favorite breakfast! So delicious! LOVE LOVE LOVE it!

133. Allaire says:

Made this for breakfast this morning; I must say it is so yummy! Thank you for sharing all of your healthy recipes. It makes me feel so much better knowing I’m eating something this good and knowing it is better for you as well! The taste to me is almost like a chocolate banana bread! Thanks Again, can’t wait to try the others!

134. Emily says:

Hi Katie!!
    i might be a little late with this comment but can you try this with the voluminous oatmeal trick? or would letting it sit and baking it cancel the voluminous effect out? i really wanna try this soon!! :)

135. Lisa says:

I adapted this for a microwave here. Thanks for a lovely recipe!

136. Capt. ManPants says:

Mine looked more chocolate-y (not a bad thing..) than your photo, but holy wow batman, tastes amazing. Giving this the BLD (Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner) Treatment!

137. Audrey says:

Has anybody ever tried this substituting Nutella for the homemade frosting? If so, did the flavors compliment one another? Did you like it?

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Sounds good to me!

138. Claire says:

Hi Katie, I have long been a fan of yours and just saw this recipe getting a huge rave as an autumn snack treat from a youtube channel I watch, Loepsie. She shows how to make it and links back here for the recipe.
    I get stupidly excited when two people who I really like also like each other :) I had also missed this one of yours somehow, so am going to make it as an after school snack for myself and my kids in about an hour. Thank you for your awesome recipe skills :)

139. Lisa says:

This is amazing. I saw that you mentioned that you hadn’t tried it yet with quick steel oats. That is all I had on hand, so I gave it a shot. While it is bit smoother of a texture than your photo looks, it still turned out amazing, held together, and is very good. Thank you for posting!

140. Tori Lorvig says:

Dearest Katie,
    My name is Tori and I’m a senior at Wilton-Lyndeborough Coop in Wilton, NH. I am making a cookbook for my senior project, and it will include an array of recipes, many of which will be healthy. I love your blog and would be ecstatic to be allowed to use some of your recipes. I will be offering a few copies of my book to friends and family but will not be selling it to the public for profit so I will not be earning money from it. If I have your permission, could I use some of your recipes and give you credit in either the description or the back of the book?

141. Maria Rosie says:

Delicious!! Just found your blog and I’m already obsessed!!
    I substitute milk and sweetener (I didn’t have any) by adding honey and smashing my banana with a tea spoon of coconut oil!

142. hilde says:

I just made it, it turned out ok! i used a bit too much cocoa powder i think. next time i want to use more banana and less cocoa powder. we ate it with a bit of whipped cream:) very yummy.

greetings from the netherlands

143. MarquetteSam says:

Do I eat chocolate for breakfast? Yes, every day. Every day! I sometimes put chocolate chips on top of my peanut butter toast and sometimes I melt chocolate and place it directly on buttered toast or on top of the peanut butter and toast. Sometimes I eat the chocolate toast after I have placed it in the freezer for six minutes so the chocolate has hardened. I went to Paris in 2007 for ten days, and every morning we had chocolate croissants. I have been having chocolate toast ever since.

144. Patti McTee says:

I don’t know if I can wait for breakfast to try this. Looks fabulous!

145. Eileen says:

do you think it would be possible to increase ingredient amounts to make it so this would serve more than one or would that make it not turn out right?

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

You never know unless you try!

146. Abby says:

Do you think there’s any way to do this with quinoa instead of oats? Grains don’t sit well with me, so oats are out = (

147. Ashley says:

I just made this, UHM HEAVEN!!!!! I used the frosting recipe too. Oh. My. Gosh. Thank you!

148. Megan says:

The first thing I eat in the morning is a piece of dove dark chocolate with my coffee!! This is in the oven now. :) (It’s already Saturday morning in Taiwan!)

149. Christie-Ann says:

WOW!!! I just made this recipe. I multiplied ingredients by 4 and it perfectly filled a 12 cup muffin pan. They are incredible! Thank you for this, and all of the incredible recipes on your site. You are so talented!

150. Thalia says:

I made this recipe this morning as a Valentine’s Day treat for myself, and it was absolutely perfect! I used 1 tbsp of all-natural peanut butter and water instead of milk. None of the flavours overwhelmed each other but it was still deliciously decadent – like a peanut-butter-banana-chocolate brownie!

151. Toki says:

I just devoured this and it was amazing! I’ve been gluten-free for over 4 months now and the dense cake-like texture of this oatmeal bake is something I’ve been missing terribly. I made it with dark chocolate almond milk and added some ground flax. I can’t wait to try more of these delicious baked oatmeal recipes! Thanks Katie!!

-A Grateful Glutard

152. Tracy says:

Hi, I’ve made this recipe and it’s delicious and very filling however I can’t seem to make the nutritional numbers match mine? If I use like for like (without frosting) I make the whole recipe around 514 calories, the oats and pb total 366. Total fat is 22.8 which is double the figure you have? I’m just wondering what I’m getting wrong?
    Ps) great website xx

153. Paulina Fit says:

This looks incredible. I cannot wait to make a version of this and feature it on my blog. Keep up the amazing work girly!!

154. Kayla says:

These were ridiculously delicious. So so yummy.

155. Heather says:

I so appreciate your efforts to make healthier foods/desserts, but I must ask where you are calculating your nutritional information? I’m a dietitian and punch calorie numbers all day but love to find low calorie recipe ideas/alternatives for my clients! This looked a little off to me so I calculated it myself. The recipe as listed, with almond milk, stevia (or other calorie free sweetener), and only 1 Tbsp of peanut butter was close to 320 calories, 13 g fat, 49 grams carbohydrate, and only 8 grams of fiber. The only thing that matched up was the 11 grams of protein. If you added a second Tbsp of peanut butter and the chocolate on top…

1. Amy says:

Sorry I have to chime in because I’m curious if you are really a dietician surely you can tell how Katie came up with her nutrition facts? I’m not a dietician but it’s pretty simple to see 1/2 cup oats is 150 calories plus pb is 100 plus silk is like 5 plus banana is like twenty. So mine comes out like Katie’s.

1. Heather says:

Yes, I really am. You are right about the oats (150 kcal per 1/2 cup) and close on the PB (PB ranges from 90-95 kcal per Tbsp depending on brand). I did use Original Almond milk in my calcuation (which is 15 kcal per 1/4 cup). Don’t forget the cocoa which adds 12 kcal and a 1/4 cup of mashed banana is 50 kcal (not 20).

156. OMG this looks amazing! totally making asap!!!!!

157. anna carrigan says:

Why do you people post your comments when you haven’t even tried it! What a waste of everyone’s time? Are you actually going to make it – or just gush about it based on the ingredients. Sheesh.

1. Carol says:

it asks for you to post a comment NOT post after you’ve tried it ! Either way why get testy about it ?!

158. Stacy Myers says:

This was so flavorful!!! The baked oatmeal I normally make is light, and this one is very dense – but it was a nice change. I multiplied this by 4 to feed our family and baked it in an 8 inch square dish. I used 1/3 cup honey granules instead of stevia. We spread a small amount of Nutella on the top and it was GOOD. Thank you!

159. Catherine says:

Hi katie, I think the nutrition info for this is wrong. 1/2 cup uncooked oats is 180 cals, plus 90 cals from a tbsp of nut butter, plus 45 cals for a tbsp of coconut sugar (which I used as the sweetener), plus 25 cals from a 1/4 cup of soy milk, plus a tbsp of cocoa at 20 cals, 1/4 cup of mashed banana at 50 cals, and a tbsp of chocolate chips adds 70 cals. This makes the recipe 480 cals, not 280 cals. I’m not sure where the info is wrong in terms or fat or sugar etc but it’s definitely not 280 cals! Totally worth the extra calorie , but just letting you know.:)

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Her nutrition info is correct. You are adding optional ingredients. Best to read through this page:

160. Annie says:

This was so good! I used cashew nut butter in this. I just found your blog and tried to read every recipe all at once, i love healthy (and raw) desserts, you are a genius! <3

161. Kristen says:

This recipe, times 8, in a 9″x13″ works perfect for a par-tay! Thank you for this! (I didn’t add sugar, or sugar substitute. I went for a healthier treat. Also, made a day before so that the elements can combine flavors and settle together in time to be eaten.)

162. Carol says:

I’ve got to try this, sound delish !

163. Samiha says:

This was absolutely perfect topped with your banana-split chocolate butter, downed with a chai tea latte — mmm! It tastes sinful, but it’s not. You’re such an inspiration!

164. Sandra says:

i baked it up this morning, hoping the child that doesn’t like oatmeal but loves Peanut butter and chocolate would like it. But it turned out too chewy for her liking. I liked it though.

165. megan says:

That was super yummy. I make the your cookie dough oatmeal often, but now I can add this one to the list. Yum!

166. joanne says:

When I woke up I did not know what to have for breakfast today. But now I know. I am off to make this easy and simple and sweet and hearty breakfast. Thank you.

167. Rhonda says:

how long in microwave??

168. Rima says:

Thanks for posting your trial Danielle, I was about to ask if anyone tried it with PB2!
    Katie, thanks for all your yummy recipes!

169. Lauren says:

I’ve just made this and it was so amazing! Was much higher in calories than stated though, and unfortunately I have to watch my calorie intake. Maybe I’ll save it for special occasions :)

170. JulesNYC says:

I just made this for the 1st time. I used: unsweetened Trader Joe’s Cinnamon Applesauce instead of banana; unsweetened almond milk, which I thought would add richness without significant calories; 1 1/2 Tblsp dark brown sugar; 2 Tblsp Just Jif peanut butter; 2 Tblsp dark raisins; 2 Tblsp milk chocolate chips. Maybe it grew while I was gathering my ingredients but this was way more than would fit in 2 1/2c ramekins. I greased a 2-cup oven proof bowl and baked it for 35 minutes bc when I tested it w/a toothpick in the center, at 20 minutes, it clearly appeared to need more time. I then stuck it in my toaster oven, set to broil, bc I felt that would give me more control over the crisping up of the top (and it did). For the topping, instead of more chocolate or PB, After it had cooled some, I spooned some of Trader Joe’s Reduced Sugar Blueberry Preserves on top. It was still warm enough to make this addition like a glaze. Those TJ preserves are really great bc, unlike most other reduced sugar products out there, TJ’s doesn’t sub in any fake sugars to compensate–they’re just less sweet but still delish. If you’re watching your weight and not just trying to eat healthy, I see this as 3 servings–all for me, just not all at 1 time :)
    Thanks for another versatile recipe, Katie!

171. Laura says:

Do you think the baked oatmeal recipes would freeze well? After it is baked.

172. Victoria says:

Just had this for breakfast and it was insanely delicious! As nut-butter I used some hazelnut-chocolat-spread (kinda fake nutella) so the baked oatmeal got even more chocolaty and gooey, omg I get cravings when I think about it even though I ate it like two minutes ago :> I had to use two ramekins but that literally just gave me twice the fun with the same serving sice :) thanks for this delicious recipe, definitely added to my favorite ones & I’m surely gonna try out some of the other baked oatmeals soon

173. chelsea says:

i just wanted to let you know, i made this last night for breakfast this morning. while i am sure its amazing fresh from the oven…. eaten the next day cold from the fridge is pretty darn delicious. i’m hooked.

174. I make something similar and use chocolate protein powder in place of cocoa powder. It’s so awesome in the mornings after a hard workout!

175. Rachel says:

I don’t like bananas so I like the suggestion of using another mashed fruit, but I have no idea what to use… any recommendations?

1. Carolyn says:

I don’t like bananas either, but the bananas don’t bother me when mashed and baked into oatmeal. However, I’ve occasionally used unsweetened applesauce as a replacement in other recipes (like the oatmeal cupcakes). I love all the CCK oatmeal recipes I’ve tried!