Reeses Peanut Butter Cup Baked Oatmeal

Let’s talk chocolate.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Baked Oatmeal from @choccoveredkt - For those times when you want to be healthy... but you also want to eat dessert for breakfast! Recipe link: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/07/26/reeses-peanut-butter-cup-baked-oatmeal/

And peanut butter.

And chocolate.

Did I mention chocolate?

Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Baked Oatmeal - For those times when you want to be healthy... but you also want to eat dessert for breakfast! Recipe link: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/07/26/reeses-peanut-butter-cup-baked-oatmeal/

Good News! Research is now saying that eating dessert for breakfast can actually be healthy. This is great news for me, as I’ve been eating dessert-type breakfasts for years and had no plans to stop. Today’s breakfast, for example, was chocolate peanut butter baked oatmeal.

I topped the peanut butter cup oatmeal with more chocolate: Healthy Chocolate Fudge Frosting.

For when you want to be healthy... but you also want to eat dessert for breakfast! Recipe link: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/07/26/reeses-peanut-butter-cup-baked-oatmeal/

Was this breakfast, or was it really dessert? The puzzle confused my tastebuds. But with all that chocolate going on, it also made them very happy.

Reeses Peanut Butter Cup Baked Oatmeal

(serves 1)

• 1/2 cup rolled oats (50g)
  • 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup mashed banana (or sub another mashed fruit)
  • 1/4 cup milk of choice or nondairy creamer
  • pinch pure stevia OR 1 1/2 tbsp liquid sweetener such as maple syrup or agave (If using liquid sweetener, scale back the milk to just 2 tbsp)
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 1 tbsp cocoa powder
  • 1-2 tbsp peanut butter (or other nut butter or sunbutter)
  • Optional: handful of chocolate chips!

Reeses Oatmeal Recipe: Preheat oven to 380 degrees. Combine all ingredients and mix well. (If peanut butter was in the fridge, you might want to heat it up a little so it’s easier to stir.) Pour into a greased 1-cup ramekin, or two 1/2-cup ramekins, or a mini-loaf pan. Cook for 20 minutes or more, until it gets firm. Finally, set your oven to “high broil” for 3 more minutes, or until it reaches desired crispy-ness (or simply just bake longer, but broiling gives it a nice crust). Optional: top with the frosting recipe linked under the second photo of this post. You can even make this the night before, or make multiple servings at once and freeze leftovers for an instant breakfast! (A few readers have had success making this in the microwave, but I haven’t tried it.)

View Peanut Butter Cup Oatmeal Nutrition Facts

reeses oats

Do you ever eat chocolate at breakfast?

The more appropriate question for me would probably be: do I ever not eat chocolate at breakfast? And the answer would probably be no!

findingsco

Link of the Day:

Almond Joy Breakfast Scones

Tags: , , , , ,

1. Lisa says:

I am so making this tomorrow after I go grocery shopping. Somehow I let myself run out of chocolate and pb. Oh the travesty of that!! Thanks for all the great recipes Katie!

2. Wow! This looks amazing! I might stir a little protein powder in mine.

1. Maybe chocolate protein powder in place of the cocoa powder? I’ll report back 🙂

1. I can’t see why that wouldn’t work. I use chocolate protein powder in my oatmeal all the time! However I add cocoa powder on top of that because I like it reallllyyyy chocolatey. 🙂

3. There really is no end to the chocolate madness! And I don’t think that’s a bad thing, either. What better way to make yourself feel more “at home” after a vacation then a delicious, chocolatey, healthy breakfast. Yum! Thanks for sharing 🙂

4. I’m all about chocolate for breakfast! Every once in awhile I’ll add some cocoa powder to my oatmeal or top it with a few chocolate chips! Yum!

5. I have made a baked oatmeal like this and I LOVE it!!! Your pictures are gorgeous!!! Yum!! I want htis for breakfast now!

6. I used to eat chocolate at breakfast, but always made my other meals bland in comparison 🙂

Have you ever made breakfast bakes like these with quinoa flakes? I can’t eat oatmeal because of my wheat allergies (even g-free cause me discomfort!). I’d really like to try this though, except without peanut butter (another stupid allergy).

1. If you figure out how to make this with quinoa flakes please let me know! And I totally agree about the other meals being bland after a chocolaty breakfast… Chocolate oatmeal sets the bar pretty high for the rest of the day. Haha.

7. Danielle says:

Making this for lunch – I have pb2 and quick oats in the cupboard, so I’ll let you know how it turns out! So excited! 🙂

1. Danielle says:

Those substitutions worked well – Other than that, I didn’t change a thing.
      After a quick taste test, I decided to top it with some of your frosting (mine turned out more like a choc pb glaze, probably because I used pb2 again, but glaze was fine!) and some fat free french vanilla creamer – I like things to be on the sweet side, so the creamer and glaze were perfect additions!
      SOOOOOOO YUMMY! Will definitely be making this again! Maybe even for dessert tonight since I’m having a friend over for dinner?!

1. Danielle says:

Rave reviews from my friend and my parents – I whipped up 2 batches and poured the batter into a 6 muffin pan (which fits perfectly in my toaster oven so I didn’t need to heat the house!) – everyone loved it with and without toppings!
        Toppings (individually and combinations thereof) we used were:
        Frosting
        Creamer
        Whipped Cream
        Crushed raspberry/strawberry combo with a sprinkle of stevia

Fantastic! Thanks for another great recipe!

1. Holly says:

Oh my goodness all your ideas sound SOOO good!! I think I’m going to make some right NOW to eat for breakfast tomorrow morning. Hopefully it will be as good if I refrigerate it….if I can wait that long. Hope I don’t end up eating it for dessert tonight. Anyhow…thanks for the ideas!!! Going to use quick oats myself!

8. Alanna says:

OMG – I must make this over the weekend. I’m almost out of pumpkin boatmeal and this sounds fantastic!

I sometimes have chocolate at breakfast, but usually only in small amounts (chips in oatmeal or granola bars). It feels like I’m getting away with something by having chocolate so early, hehe. And hooray for research on sweet breakfasts! 😀

9. what a delicious way to start the day! yum!

10. Rachel says:

this looks great! the title had me lol

11. Ok I want this now! Chocolate and peanut butter for breakfast!!! I want some!

12. Michele says:

looks great! I love all your recipes 🙂 I know you don’t focus on calorie counting since you’re not watching your weight, but I thought you might want to know that some of them are quite a bit off. In this one, 1/2 c of oats + 2 T of PB would be at 350 without any of the other add ins.

I know a lot of your recipes include variations (which is amazing, and so much work, I’m sure!), but it is a little misleading. And as someone who IS trying to monitor that, it was frustrating to realize I was drastically underestimating my intake unless I calculate them myself. I don’t mind, but I just wanted other people to be aware.

Love your blog… and impatiently waiting for tomorrow AM to try this 🙂

1. Hi Michelle,
      In this one you would use 1 tbsp pb for the calculations, because whenever there’s a varied amount you should always go with the lower amount for accurate results. Hope that helps!

2. Julia says:

Michele, I am too counting calories, but I always calculate them first and if the recipes end up being too high in points for my intake I divide it into several servings so that I am not tempted to eat all the calories at once. For example the Baked Cookie Dough oatmeal I usually make it in a mini-muffin tin that makes 12 mini muffins (and I will probably do the same with this recipe), that way each muffin only has one WW point instead of 12. It has really helped me enjoy all of the CCK recipes and keep losing weight, hope this helps!

13. Hannah says:

Have been meaning to try baked oatmeal to see what it’s like – this looks like a good one to start with! Just a quick question though – is this meant to serve as a full breakfast for one person? Had a look at the nutrition info and the whole thing is only 280 calories, which to me is more like a snack than a proper breakfast, especially for anyone who’s even remotely active! I’m a runner so there’s no way this would be enough for me to refuel on. Is there anything other than chocolate frosting you could recommend having with it to make it more of a substantial meal? I guess this question is for anyone who eats baked oatmeal for breakfast really – what do you usually have with it (if anything)? I guess I could just double the recipe, but it’d be great with some ideas for yummy accompaniments!

1. Yes, definitely. Use the higher amount of pb (the 2 tbsp) and you’re already up 100 calories. Then add the frosting or whatever topping you wish. And a smoothie or fresh fruit is a great side. All in all, it can become a 600+ calorie breakfast quite easily :).

1. Jenny D says:

I never understand why people post comments on here like this regarding the calorie content. In no way anywhere does this blog state that it is a meal plan blog. Also, so you are telling us, that whatever recipe you read off a blog or cookbook, you only make just that? So if you wanted to make lets say chicken for dinner (sorry, I know this is a Vegan blog but its what comes to mind) you look up a recipe and only make that because it doesn’t mention sides? You can’t think that for yourself? I don’t mean to come off sounding like a jerk but I am not understanding what makes this blog any different than any other recipe in that context.
        When I make something like this I either add protein powder or hard-boiled egg whites (sorry, I am not Vegan so if you are you will have to research your protein options) or even fruit on the side, more nut butters, etc. In fact, I add protein powder to every one of Katie’s milkshakes and she still lets me read her blog even though I make minor changes here and there;)

14. Lizzie says:

Yummy! I LOVE your boatmeal for one recipes. My fiance and I can each pick what flavor we want 🙂 My favorite is banana bread, his is cinnamon roll.

15. Anne Karner says:

This looks delicious. I prefer to incorporate more protein in my meals, but I bet adding a scoop of chocolate protein powder to this mix wouldn’t change the flavor profile too much and while boosting the protein.

16. Brigitte says:

Can’t wait to try this! I love peanut butter and oatmeal together. I have my very first baked oatmeal in the oven as we speak 🙂

17. Janet says:

This looks fantastic! I think I even have all the ingredients to make this (not sure what kind of oats I have though – rolled vs. quick). I may frost it with Nutella instead of making my own or eating it plain. YUM!

18. Shannon K. says:

I’m trying this tomorrow. I’ve been wanting to try baked oatmeal…but haven’t found one that appeals enough yet. This definitely does. Two questions though…one: If I don’t want banana or another fruit, what could I sub? Would Greek yogurt be gross? Two: Any chance you could look into the plug-in that allows us to print your recipes with a click?? It’d be GREATLY appreciated 🙂

1. I bet some sort of yogurt would be fine!
      About the plugin: right now my site has a corrupt file that doesn’t allow new plugins, so I need to figure out how to fix it first 🙁

19. Julia says:

CCK I’m curious you thoughts about links between use of stevia and infertility? I have noticed you use it in a lot of your recipes an wondered if you had a concerns about these studies?

1. Jenny D says:

I know your question is geared towards Katie, but I just wanted to chime in. You are the first person I have seen actually say this! Years ago (about 4) I had gotten into clean eating after a extremely bad reaction to Splenda. Stevia was just starting to get its name out there and in all the Clean Eating mags they included this. Since now I always check side effects of everything, I looked into Stevia and yes, while nothing is concrete they were finding Stevia having ill effects on reproductive organs. We were trying for baby #3 so I immediately threw out what Stevia I bought and never have bought it again. I mean, you never know. They say things are safe and then 10 years later they come back saying *oops*. I will use white sugar over anything else if I have to. And don’t get me started on how awful Agave is but everyone thinks its so great. It’s more processed than high fructose corn syrup! I stick with maple and date sugar but mostly use coconut palm crystals. Sorry for the long post but like I said, everyones so in love with that stuff I have never seen anyone actually say this!