Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Healthy Butterfingers!

Healthy Butterfingers!

Homemade Butterfingers that are secretly GOOD for you?!   These addictively delicious snack bars have the same toffee-like crunch as real Butterfingers... and they are whole-grain, high in iron, and completely free of high fructose corn syrup!  Recipe link:

Candy bars that defy all logic.

The homemade Butterfingers have that exact same toffee-like crunch of store-bought Butterfinger bars… yet these are whole-grain, high in iron, and completely free of high-fructose corn syrup.

Homemade Butterfingers that are secretly GOOD for you?!  Addictively delicious snack bars w/ the same exact toffee-like crunch as real Butterfingers! Recipe link:

Okay, so that’s more than two words.

Concision has never been my strong suit. We used to play the quiet game when I was little, and I’d always lose. Unless I tickled my sister, and then she’d lose.

Fair shmare.

The inspiration for these healthy butterfingers came from a dollar-bin book I saw at the fabric store. The book recipe (which yielded an 8×8 pan, just like mine) called for 1 cup of sugar, 3/4 cup corn syrup, and 1/3 cup shortening.

Basically screaming for a healthy makeover.

Print This Recipe 5/5

• 1/4 cup agave (Honey works, but it’s not for strict vegans and will also add a slight honey flavor. Corn syrup will also work, and commenters have said brown rice syrup or pure maple syrup work as well.) (60g)
  • 1 tbsp molasses (regular, or blackstrap for bars high in iron. Or omit and increase agave to 1/3 cup. The taste will be slightly less authentic without the molasses.) (15g)
  • 3 1/2 tbsp xylitol or sugar, or evaporated cane juice (40g) (Texture will be a little less toffee-like, but still just as delicious, if using xylitol.)
  • 1 cup peanut butter (crunchy or creamy) (225g) (Almond or cashew butter will work; the flavor just won’t be as close to that of the popular candy bar.)
  • 1 1/2 cups bran flakes (or cornflakes or another flake cereal) (56g)
  • 1/8 tsp salt (plus a little extra if using unsalted peanut butter)
  • optional topping: 2/3 cup chocolate chips or 1/4 cup virgin coconut oil mixed with 1/4 cup cocoa powder and vanilla stevia drops or liquid sweetener to taste

Homemade Butterfingers Recipe: Combine first three ingredients in a small saucepan, and bring to a boil on medium heat. Boil about a minute, stirring constantly, then remove from heat. Add the peanut butter and salt, and stir until it makes a paste. Add the cereal and stir very well to coat, partially crushing the cereal flakes as you stir. Make sure the flakes are very evenly coated. Press into an 8×8 pan—either lined with wax or parchment paper, or greased very well—and freeze until completely hardened. (Cut into bars while only somewhat frozen, or thaw the block a little before cutting.) If you wish to cover in chocolate (they’re good even without it), you can cover them at any time—either pre-cutting or post-cutting. Simply melt the chocolate chips over low heat, stirring constantly until smooth, or mix the coconut oil with the sweetener and cocoa. Then spread over the bars with a spatula and re-freeze to harden. Store in the freezer for optimum “snap.” Makes 12-16 “betterfinger” bars.

*View Healthy Butterfingers Nutrition Facts*

Did you ever play the Quiet Game? If you’ve never heard of it: The basic idea is for everyone to be completely silent, and the first person to break the silence loses. Parents often tell their kids to play the game as a ruse to calm the kids down. But whenever we played, it ended up with the opposite effect. I remember one occasion, at a very fancy restaurant, where my dad was making monkey faces at us to get my sister and me to crack first. Finally, my embarrassed mom sent all three of us outside!

Pumpkin Cereal

Pumpkin Bread in a Bowl – This is my all-time favorite Fall breakfast recipe!

Tags: , , , ,

1. Naquita says:

We don’t have Butterfingers here in the UK but these look yummy!

2. This is the best belated birthday present I could have received :) I was just at TCBY last night and drooled over the butterfinger topping but passed because of how high calorie it is. I think I’ll need to make up some of this and sprinkle it on my Arctic Zero!

3. Lisa says:

Yay!!! I am so excited to try these, thank you!! 😀

4. I’ve been looking forward to this make-over. I’m sure I’d go the honey route and I bet it will be delicious. Can’t wait to try!

5. liz says:

they look insane! yum!

6. Mmm, I’ve been waiting for you to post this recipe! As someone said above, we can’t easily buy Butterfingers in the UK so I’ve only ever had them twice…but they are still my favourite chocolate bar!! The only other recipes I’ve seen for them contain candy corn which we also can’t get (& I don’t think are vegetarian anyway?) so I’m super excited to make these asap…thanks Katie! 😀

7. Gale says:

Thanks! These look amazing. I was just wondering can Snickers be simplified, my hubby is always challenging me to make healthy versions and lately he brought up Snickers and Mars to challenge me. Unfortunately, I am not very good with the creative part:) Katie, help please:)

1. Liz says:

We slit open pitted dates and stuff them with crunchy peanut butter and/or nutella and then store them in the fridge or freezer and I call them my healthy mini Snickers bars. :)

1. Emma says:

try the fudge babies. the dates taste like caramel!

2. Gale says:

Thank you ladies. You have some great ideas. I will try these very soon:)

3. Darla says:

Check out ‘s amazing snickers bars :-) Even traditional candy bar lovers were pleased.

8. Sarah the official CCK drooler @RomneyRyan2012 says:

And all my dreams just came true. Butterfingers are (and always have been) my favorite.
    That doesn’t mean my thighs or my belly or my bottom likes it.

1. Lacy says:

I think the problem is that those areas also love it and don’t give it up without a fight. lol

9. I just love Butterfingers, especially healthy ones! There one of my favorite candybars to eat frozen! Yum! I have to make these as soon as I get home from work! I can’t wait! Think I’ll take a half day! :)

10. I am TERRIBLE at the quite game, lol. Good thing my sister was worse 😉

This recipe is just in time for Halloween, when I’m craving all that candy!

11. Rachele says:

Oh, Katie. This looks simply amazing! Cannot wait to try these!! Thank you!!!

12. Mealnie says:

We always played the quiet game. I was horrible. My Dad used to offer whoever won a dollar, I’d try for a few seconds and then say “I don’t want your dollar.”

13. Julie says:

These look great!!!
    And I always lost the “Quiet Game”. I talk way too much!!!

14. These look so good, and WAY healthier than regular butter fingers! I’ll have to try them!

15. Robin says:

I RULE at the quiet game. I kicked butt while playing it with the flower girl at my friend’s wedding rehearsal dinner. Entertained the kid, and avoided awkward mingling!

16. Lauren says:

How are bran flakes healthy? They’re processed junk! 😉

Did you make the bars in the photo with xylitol?

1. Anonymous says:

I’ve seen Katie say before that she uses Whole Foods bran flakes. Not processed junk at all.

1. Anonymous says:

All cereals have gone through the process of extrusion which makes them processed junk. Even the organic gluten-free ones you find at whole foods or other health food stores. These bars are definitely healthier than the store bought equivalents, but still far from healthy esp if using agave or corn syrup.

2. Anna says:

Just try getting the most least processed bran flakes you can. A whole foods store might have some good ones…or some in the ‘healthy’ section of a grocery store. At least it’s a lot better than the real candy, haha :)

17. Beth says:

I am so making these today (I had planned on making the Pumpkin Reese’s Cups, but these win.
    My daughter’s favorite candy is a butterfinger bar, but she is allergic to the red food dye in them. The only other recipe I had found was melting candy corn (ick) and covering with chocolate.

She will love these I am sure.

18. Melissa says:

I am so making these! Yum!

19. Yummy says:

Still drooling

20. Jeanne G. says:

I love Butterfingers! I have to try this!

We played something like the quiet game, but we knew it by the lovely un-PC religiously insensitive name “Quaker’s Meeting.” I was always terrible because I had to tattle when one of the other kids made a face at me.

21. yummy says:

I can’t wait to get home and make these tonight.

22. Michelle says:

I always had my girls play it….my boys it never worked….
    These look awesome

23. Melodie says:

So excited about these! I don’t eat candy bars anymore because they are so unhealthy but Butterfingers were my favorite!

24. Melodie says:

Oh, and I like the new header! All your photos are so beautiful and the food looks delicious. I think it really adds to have a sampling of that in the header.

25. Anonymous says:

KATIE, these look SO good! You amaze me!

26. Tiffany H says:

I was wondering if you’d be able to achieve the crunch of butterfingers when you said you made a recipe…the other homemade recipes ive seen melt candy corn and add peanut butter to the melted goo. I was so put off of their way of making it, plus they only had the flavour, not the texture which is what i would want. I’ll definitely make these around halloween to keep us out of the candy bowl.

27. Jamie says:

I think you just made my Halloween.

P.S. The new header is my favorite so far. :)

28. Ever since you were thinking about adding a butterfinger recipe to your blog, I have been anxiously and excitedly awaiting it!!! Can’t wait to try these Katie! :)

29. Melissa says:

I love that your recipes are for everyone from vegan to no restrictions. Thanks so much!

30. Lauren says:

You just made my life better. :-)

31. laura says:

They look so good! I need to make these ASAP!

I actually usually won the quiet game. I’m loud but have always been an actress, I’m good at keeping a straight face and staying quiet.

32. “Better”finger bars is a genius title :) My husband is going to freak out over these! Haha and just in time for Halloween too!

As for the quiet game, I am an only child and we took loooong car trip vacations and I would chatter SO much that during stressful, high traffic situations my parents would actually pay me vacation allowance to shut up…oh how I am sure the favor will be repayed to me one day 😉

1. Rachel says:

I totally agree about the title. Cracked me up! :)

33. Justin says:

I’ve never played the quiet game. But I have won a few prolific staring contests in my day. I was always really good at those.

These butter fingers look incredible. Right now I’m doing very low sugar so I can’t make them. :(

34. Oh. My. Goodness. These look incredible! I am going to try them tonight after work and will report back with the delicious results 😀

We used to play the quiet game when I was little, except my parents called it “Little Red School House.” It is the same idea, but one person would say “Little Red School House” and we would have to be as quiet as if we were in school. Good times…

35. Ed says:

Wow those just sound tasty!

36. Butterfingers hold a special place in my heart!!

37. Karen says:

Yum! Katie, you ever try using brown rice syrup? I find it an excellent substitute for honey!

1. I’ve only tried it a few times, and not in these… but another person just left a comment saying she already tried it here and it works! :)

38. Julie says:

I need that to be in my mouth right now!

39. I made these .. I subbed in brown rice syrup for the agave and used organic frosted flakes for the corn flakes (i just left out the added sugar) and they came out great! I gave my husband one without telling him what they were and he said ‘these taste like butterfingers’

so.. success.

1. Thank you so much for trying them already!

I added your substitution into the recipe :).

40. Anna Banana says:

I want these so badly that I can’t believe I have to wait til the workday is done before I can make them. Thank you so much!!

41. Lauren says:

I can’t wait to make these at my college apartment! I can’t make a lot of your recipes because we don’t have a food processor, but these are perfect! I’m curious though, it says to freeze them, does that mean they need to be eaten cold, or can they be brought to room temp? That’s how I like to eat regular Butterfingers.

1. They seem to get very sticky, the warmer they get :-?.

1. Lauren says:

Then I will just eat them cold :)

2. Tiffany H says:

maybe you could use the Butterfingers part as a filling for Reese Cups so you can have them at room temp. That way you dont have to worry about them sticking to your fingers.

42. Peanut Butter Bunny says:

It’s…so beautiful…

43. kirsty says:

May I suggest soy nut butter for those allergic to peanut butter… it’s the closest texture and taste to peanut butter but without the puffy face! :-)

1. Rachel says:

Sunbutter is also a really good substitute. Amazing how similar it is to pb, especially in a candy such as this. My daughter has a peanut and tree nut allergy and we use sunbutter all the time! :)

44. Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!! Katie – you are my ultimate dessert hero. =) I tried your sugar cookie shake recipe twice this week. Deeeeee-lish!

45. Vicki says:

THANK YOU KATIE!!!!! I’ve been anxiously awaiting this recipe. Butterfingers were my favorite candy as a child, my Grandpa would always buy me those boxes of little butterfingers (movie style) whenever I spent the night or just for no reason at all. He was my favorite too, spoiled me rotten!
    Fast forward 20 years and I have a severe corn allergy, epi pen and all. Can’t even touch corn tortillas without a reaction, if I ingest corn of any type I’m sick or going into anaphylactic shock. Never thought I’d get to eat a butterfinger again, and to think I will on my vegan diet to boot. I’m ecstatic, cannot thank you enough!!!

46. Leanne says:

I’ve never tried a butterfinger before but these look amazing and decadent! I have so many recipe’s I wanna give a go – but I will for sure add these to the list 😀 😉

47. You are brilliant (as always)! Butterfingers are one of my top favorite chocolate bars right next to Reese’s PB Cups of course.

48. Laura M says:

You are a genius! Creations like this make me wonder why companies continue to make unhealthy candy. The chocolate/candy industry needs you!

49. How funny! I had about the same Idea when I thought about healthy butterfingers! Great minds think alike 😉

50. Sarah says:

Why do I have to be stuck in a college dorm? I need to make these now!

51. Allie says:

Uhhm, yup, love the sound of these. I need to bring a gluten-free dessert to an office party, and these would be so easy to make GF with the right cereal!

52. Mindy says:

I love reading your recipes, but this is the first one I’m going to make. I can’t wait!
    As for the quiet game, my cousins and I played when our grandparents visited and the winner would get a quarter. I would keep on talking, and when Mom asked why I said “Cause Grandma will give me a quarter anyway.” And of course she did. Laughing. (It pays to be the youngest and the cutest!) Thanks for the amazing blog!

53. I love this! I can’t believe they’re healthy and yet still look so wonderfully good!

54. I liked the warning about not eating the entire pan in one sitting! These look amazing and I really shouldn’t make them until someone is here to help me eat them.

The quiet game? Oh yes I use to have my kids play that game!

55. YUM! Butterfingers were alwaysss my favorite Halloween candy but I haven’t had one in years because of the ingredients… Cannot wait to make these!

56. Lauren says:

These look delicious and this background color is much better than the old one!

57. Must make these NOW!! Thanks for the inspirations! 😛

58. Violet says:

These look delicious!! I have an idea for a challenge for you if you’re interested – healthified breakfast cereals!! Like cereal-and-milk cereal rather than oatmeal. I can’t even buy breakfast cereal because for some reason that’s one of the only unhealthy foods that’s like crack to me, I would eat a whole box in like a day if I let myself. Please!!!!!! 😀

1. Jane says:

Cool idea! And I know what you mean… frosted chex cereal and cinnamon toast crunch are my major weaknesses!

59. Anonymous says:

The quiet game is my fav!!! Let’s play now! Ready, 1, 2, 3, (*shhhhh*) …..

Haha I’m just kidding! Why be quiet when you can talk about how wonderfully delicious these healthy butterfingers are?

60. Carrie says:

These look awesome. Going to try them this weekend, along with the peppermint patties my husband has been bugging about since I made the reese’s eggs.

Kit Kats, Katie! We need Kit Kats!

61. Amanda says:

Hey Katie, I love this idea – but let me ask you something, I can’t have gluten, so most flake cereals are out, and also can’t have corn. Any suggestions? I know it’s a silly one, but am hoping I can still make this somehow!! It’s my favorite candy bar!

1. I left some specific brand names on the “view nutrition information” link. There are actually a lot of gluten-free cereals nowadays and many don’t have corn! :) Look for some of the brands I mentioned either at Whole Foods or in the natural food section of a regular grocery store.

62. Omg I am SO excited to make these!! I’m GF and DF but love butterfingers!!!! These are going to be awesome!

63. Katie these look SO GOOD!!!! Yum :)

64. alloyjane says:

Holy crap. I cannot wait to try these, and they look so simple to make! Excited :-)

65. Fran says:

OMG THAT LOOKS EPIC. Congratulations, Katie; you have healthified the only combination of chocolate and peanut butter that I’ve ever loved. (Yeah, yeah, I’m not normally a chocolate + PB fan, apparently that’s unusual.)

Do I have cornflakes? I must go buy some immediately.

66. Sydney says:

Hey, do you think you could replace the coconut oil with vegetable oil or canola oil for the chocolate topping?

1. Alanna says:

I doubt it, unfortunately… The coconut oil works because it solidifies at higher temps than other oils. You could just melt chocolate chips and spread them over top, though!

67. Helene says:

Wow, I want one right now. Those look so incredibly good!

68. Teri says:

The healthy butterfingers sounds delicious! We played the quiet game a lot when I was a kid. There are 8 kids in my family, so my parents used the quiet game at dinner time quite often!

69. Maddy C. says:

I can’t even really talk about how excited I am to make these.

70. Morgan says:

Kit Kats PLEASE!!!! I’ve been searching for a healthy version of these forever!

71. Jackie says:

Butterfinger is my favorite candy! I can’t get enough. Have you seen the Butterfinger pretzel candies that are out now? I wonder if I can just combine pretzels into this recipe…

72. Oh. My. Goodness. Again these are amazing, thank you so much!! Butterfingers were my FAVE growing up so I knew I had to try these :) I made them with Arrowhead Mills Oat Bran flakes, maple syrup and crunchy pb (the rest of the ingredients too) and they are delicious! When the timer went off to check the freezer my husband and I both ran to the kitchen. We have promised not to eat them all tonight. The maple syrup will make them darker and I’m assuming less orange-y. xo

1. Thank you for trying them… and especially for reporting back about the maple syrup. I’d been curious about how it would work :).

73. Okay, your website is dangerous for me and my late-night chocolate cravings, haha. I came here just to see if you had anything new, saw the betterfingers aaaand BAM I was in the kitchen. These are sooo amazing! Dallas approves, too :) I have a vegan butterfinger recipe on my site, too, but I like how healthy these are.
    The only things I changed were using icing sugar in place of white sugar (I’m out of white sugar), and I used Nature’s Path GF Rice Krispies cereal instead of bran flakes, since that’s what I have on hand. AMAZING!! I’ve had two pieces and I’m trying to resist going back for more… :) So good. Thanks, Katie!

1. Thanks for trying them, Char!

74. Lady Jennie says:

I am DEFINITELY making these. They have all the ingredients I like. I hope I still have some molasses lying around.

In French that game is called “Roi du Silence” – the king of silence. You chant, “un, deux, trois, roi du silence” and my kids (and sometimes husband) plays it all the time. :-)

75. Rena says:

Just made these using blackstrap molasses. I have it in my pantry and barely use it, so i was glad to! Next time i will crush the branflakes in my hand as i add them since it was hard to crush them as i mixed it with pb. But i tasted one after it hardened without the chocolate and it was really good! So cool how it has the butterfinger crunch just by using the branflakes! So smart!
    Just put chocolate on it and now back into the freezer. I can’t wait to try them!!! Thanks!!

76. Bek @ Crave says:

Haha, yum! That looks crazy good. I’ve definitely played the quiet game and I’ve hosted it for my little cousins 😉

77. My mom ADORES Butterfingers-guess what she’s getting the next time I see her? : )

78. Kelly says:

I tried these with brown rice syrup instead of agave, and they were delicious. I even picked the raisins out of a bag of raisin bran just to try them. Incidentally, there were at least two scoops in there…:-)

79. deb says:

just come to say that your blog is one of my favorites, i enjoy so much your recipes and posts! hugs from germany!

80. Dara says:

would oat bran work?

81. oh my gosh this recipe is PERFECT! how’d you know butterfingers were my favorite candy?! :)

82. Jen says:

As a sweet-toothed vegan, I’ve been following your blog religiously since I found it last fall. I have developed seriously love affairs with several recipes (ssshhh, don’t tell my boyfriend!), but I think I can honestly say that you have outdone yourself this time. Our whole condo smells like healthy Halloween candy, and the bars taste like magic exploding in my mouth. I’m floating around on a candy buzz, and the best part is, I won’t come crashing down because it’s a HEALTHY buzz!! Yaaay! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Jen XOXO

83. Ulli says:

oh wow, i love butterfingers, thanks for this great recipe, i have to try it!!! (today is my lucky day, i just found the way to make healthier caramel and did some caramel granola, and now that, yay!!) have a great weekend!!

84. Christine says:

I made these last night, but we’re not eating them tomorrow, they are for before/after a Tough Mudder I’m running, so the extra sugar is fine.

My only suggestion is that if you want to cut these up, DO IT BEFORE YOU FREEZE THEM!!!! After you press it into the pan, just start scoring/cutting them, save yourself a lot of heartache. Mine are sitting in the freezer now, but they are going for a long car ride tomorrow so hopefully they will be thawed out enough by then to cut and share!

Also, I did the coconut oil version of the topping and it started to look “weird” when I poured it in on top of the frozen golden candy, like the cocoa turned lighter brown. Not sure what that was about, but I’m sure they’ll still be delicious!

85. Christine says:

Oh, and I also made 2 Chocolate Bar Pies, one of my favorite recipes from this site, we’re going to feast tomorrow!

86. Landree says:

Oh dear God. 1) These were delicious 2) I can’t believe I’m saying this but I actually preferred them WITHOUT the chocolate (heresy!) and 3) ….I ate waaaay too many :)

THANK YOU THESE ARE DELICIOUS! I’mma make me some more!

87. Natalya says:

Mmmm, butterfingers!!

Natalya, Ruff House Art

88. Samantha Abbott says:

I apologize for my language……but I just made these……and holy sh*t !

I thank you immensely!

89. I love you so much and absolutely can’t wait to try these!!!! Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!

90. patty says:

Katie, just wanted to let you know these do not just look good, they are delicious! I made them this morning, and put in fridge, didn’t freeze, and when I came home tonight they were the same texture and taste as butterfingers except healthy. Now if I could only eat just one. Thanks

91. These look soooo nice! I’m a succer for butterfingers, so it’s great to be able to find a healthy alternative. I usually like to check out a site called Matts Backpack when I’m looking for healthy dessert recipes – Personally, I love what this blog is all about. Their overall ethos of “life’s too short not to eat nice food” is what always inspires me to keep going when the chocolate comes calling!

92. Andi says:

Got some in the freezer right now! Thanks!

93. Heather says:

Just made these this evening using honey and Splenda. (What I had on hand). They are absolutely delicious!! Thanks for posting the perfect recipie for a rainy New England night!!

94. Carrie says:

I just made these, except I used Gluten Free Rice Krispies instead of corn flakes. Worked beautifully!

95. K says:

I made these tonight with these alterations: changed the cereal to rice chex and used 3 1/2 tbsp of agave nectar for sweetener instead of xylitol. I used a range burner that runs very hot (gas) and timed a minute after the mixture started a frothing boil–I am not sure if it is supposed to be like stretchy toffee or taffy (you say toffee-like crunch but mine was like soft caramel-toffee-stretch aka taffy-like) but I saved some of the mixture after adding the peanut butter but before adding it to the cereal and it was like a delicious peanut butter taffy–which is a great dish all on it’s own. After mixing it with the cereal and crunching it up a bit I pressed them into a pan, scored it into bars, and put it in the freezer. About a half hour later I dipped them in the coconut oil-chocolate sauce (not just the top–the whole thing because that’s how I roll). I am not sure if it is supposed to be like stretchy taffy but they will break your teeth if you leave them in the freezer so I put mine in the fridge (though there aren’t many left). Very good work Katie–my family and I love your recipes! My almost 2 year old daughter spins around in circles saying ‘choc-late! choc-late!’ every time we make your 3 ingredient chocolate bars and your peanut butter breakfast pudding is one of her very favorite breakfast treats.

1. K says:

So sorry! I used “sugar” instead of xylitol–not agave in the above post. I made these again with the same alterations except today I used homemade syrup instead of agave (2 cups brown sugar + 1 1/2 cups water + a pinch of salt–cook on low stove top for 25 minutes–keeps at least a month in the fridge–we use this for pancakes mostly–cheaper and more delicious than the corn syrup stuff at the store–I actually like it better than real maple syrup). I didn’t keep the heat so high this time and the taffy-effect did not happen. They are more crumbly–which I think is the way Katie intends them to be. It is still a great recipe either way! Thank you Katie!

96. Michelle Arnesen says:

Made them last night for the family and they were a huge hit. Crispy and crumbly just like the real thing. I think they taste BETTER than the real thing, too. And so easy.

97. Laura says:

I just made these with maple syrup and they taste amazing! I was really surprised at how close the taste is to actual butterfingers!

98. Katie! Wow!! I can’t wait to make these. You are a brilliant one! I can already tell they will taste amazing too. Thanks! Have a great weekend.

99. Kristi says:

Made them and loved them! So delicious! My husband and kids loved them, too.

1. Emma says:

looks like we just left almost identical comments! :)

100. Emma says:

these are fantastic. even better than real butterfingers!

thank you for creating such a delicious recipe. my husband and son thank you too. we LOVE your website!

101. Anna says:

Hi Katie
    Your blog is just lovely! Thank you so much for sharing! I just made these, but now I wonder, should they be eaten frozen or at normal temp?
    Thanks again!

1. They are best kept frozen, but you can thaw a little before eating…
      Unfortunately, they begin to get extremely sticky at room temp.

102. wp test says:

From Safari 5.1.7

103. Sharlee says:

Made these last night and they were amazing. Thanks, Katie! I am thrilled about this recipe. It might be my new favorite! :)

104. Sam says:

I made these but instead of cereal (I didn’t have any) I toasted 1.5 cups oats with some coconut oil at 350 degrees until crunchy. They probably aren’t as crunchy as the cereal, but it’s another option!

105. Rachel says:

Katie, these are AMAZING!!! my husband said and i quote “These are better than any chocolate bar I have ever tasted!”. Needless to say they are a hit in my house! I will definitely be bringing these to my next party!!

106. Sarah says:

I made these twice this weekend. The first time I used Better ‘n PB and they were quite gooey. Delicious, but a sticky mess. The second I used half Better ‘n PB, half PB2 powder (no added water) and they were much, much better. I should have known better than using all BnPB but oh well. You live, you learn. I ate them all up though. Mmmmmm

107. Oh my gosh. I remember butterfingers, but since they have milk in them I’ve always had to avoid them. But now I don’t! Thanks, Katie! 😀

108. Julie says:

Made these Friday- YUMMMMM.

109. Mia says:

Made these and my husband loved them. (he was skeptical at first when he heard they were from the “vegan blog,” lol.) Followed the recipe with 2 exceptions: I used maple syrup instead of agave, and I used crispy rice cereal instead of bran flakes. For some reason, mine turned out very dry and crumbly, but not very crisp…I think flake cereal would work best in these instead of the rice crispies. They reminded me a little of butterfingers but tasted much more peanut-buttery. I’ll try using cornflakes next time (for gluten-free bars.) Overall, these were awesome and we loved them!!

110. Samantha says:

I made these last night with maple syrup and bran flakes. Mine came out very dry as well. Should I increase the maple syrup, or increase the peanut butter to keep this from happening?

111. Halie says:

Hey Katie! I tried makeing this recipe last night! Turned out great! I used maple syrup instead of agave and Peanut butter puffins cereal instead of bran flakes, They are delicious! Thanks so much for the recipe 😀

112. Jessica says:

I made these last night! So yummy! I used half natural peanut butter and half of the bad (but so good too!) peanut butter, just to use some of it up. I really like how they don’t get stuck in my teeth like normal butterfingers do. That’s almost enough of a reason to eat them alone! My fiance had one and said, “yep, that tastes like a butterfinger.” So these are a success! Pretty easy to make, too. I store mine in the fridge, just because it makes it a little bit easier to grab a piece.

113. Hannah says:

I’ve loved alot of your recipes, but this is hands down the best. It is dangerously good, and I want to eat the whole 8 x 8 of it.

114. Rachel says:

I made these last night. Instead of agave, I made date syrup (a la Gena at Choosing Raw). I also subbed maple sugar for the regular sugar.

They are amazingly delicious! I could EASILY eat the whole pan. I’m thinking of some frozen banana “soft serve” with Betterfingers. Mmmmm….healthy Betterfinger Blizzard.

One note, if you use the chocolate chips – even with the dates (which are a 0 Points + food), this calculated out to 5 Points + per serving.

115. Sarah says:

Tried these and they tasted nothing like butterfingers. They were good, but I would never call them butterfingers. They are just peanut butter crispies with chocolate on top. Still a great recipe though.

116. Julia Smith says:

Mmm I love all of your healthy makeovers! You should do one for girl scout cookies! I know you already have some sort of such as Samosa babies (which I have tried and LOVE!) Haha I know you are always looking for new suggestions so I thought this would be a good one! :)

117. Robin Bringsvaerd says:

I made these yesterday, and I have to say I was surprised at how much they taste like butterfingers! They’re really good, and right now I sure am glad that my husband is allergic to peanuts. :)
    Katie, I was just wondering if you have any tips on when and how to cut them. I had trouble with the chocolate layer separating from the peanut butter layer. I let them stand out to thaw slightly before I tried to cut them (I used melted chocolate chips), but the whole layer of chocolate loosened from the rest.

1. I cut mine first, then I let them harden again in the freezer, and then I coated with the chocolate.

118. Jessica says:

Katie, thank you these are amazing! I’ve made them twice already since you posted this and they never last to the next day! Awesome! Even our non-vegan friends thought they were amazing! Thank you again! I really enjoy this blog.

119. Cerissa says:

I’m planning on making these for a get-together this weekend. I can’t wait, they look SO GOOD! Do you think they will be thick enough in a 9×9 pan? Thank you!

1. Sorry, I don’t know. I used a 8×8. I guess they’d just be a little thinner.

120. Cerissa says:

And also, has anyone tried stevia in place of the sugar?

121. Brenda says:

Totally Gr8!!! Love them…Im so glad i found your web page…I work out alot and i am always looking for healthy alternitives!!!Thank you so much for sharing

122. alloyjane says:

I made these today without the chocolate and I’m not bothering cutting them, I’ve just been ripping pieces off to eat here and there. DELICIOUS! Can’t wait to try again. Next time, I’ll try to follow the directions better and maybe measure how much pb I actually put in, lol.

123. Laurissa says:

I made these today and they were so good!!! :) My family chose to eat them over the actual Butterfingers from Halloween

124. Jen E says:

These were pretty good and very naughty lol. I keep mine in the fridge which is perfect for me they are still hard and they don’t break my teeth 😉

125. Shelley says:

So good and so easy! These are so flipping good that I have made 4 batches so far. My husband tried them without knowing what they were and said they tasted better than Butterfingers and don’t have little bits that stick in your teeth. We devoured the first batch in two days. Second and third batches were gone within an hour at my book club meeting and a co-workers birthday lunch. The fourth batch was left frozen and whacked into pieces to use in a vegan version of Dairy Queen’s Blizzard, and as a topping to your chocolate bar pie. I will be making these again as Christmas cookies.

After putting the chocolate layer on and firming up in the freezer, mine were stored at room temp and were perfect.

I became a CCK fan after trying the cookie dough dip and everything else has been fantastic. I cannot wait for your cookbook!

126. Jasmine says:

These were wonderful! I made them for Halloween, along with your peanut butter rice crispy ghosts. They were a huge hit!

127. Chocoholic says:

I tried a different homemade butterfinger recipe once with cornflakes, and it turned out rock hard. That is why I am a little hesitant with these, but I shouldn’t be cuz your recipes are awesome!!!

128. Chocoholic says:

129. Teresa says:

I made these with gluten free corn flakes (sister has a gluten allergy) I don’t even like Butterfingers……but these….oh these were fantastic!!! Seriously, amazing texture!

130. Alexa says:

I made these tonight, and they are so good, they practically made my brother giggle like a little school girl.
    Thank you so much! They are fantastic!

131. Angela says:

I made these this week. I used Splenda instead of sugar, honey and maple syrup instead of agave, and Gluten Free Rice Krispies instead of corn flakes. They are yummy!

132. Natasha says:

Katie- I made these for Thanksgiving and they were a hit! I took home the extra and lets just say they didn’t last long in my freezer! Yum! I will be making these again!

133. Debra Peterson says:

Yummy! Betterfinger bars are for me. Question: Could stevia powder be used instead of the xylitol? And what are vanilla stevia drops? Sounds like something I NEED in my pantry! Also, when you say bran flakes, you are referring to bran cereal, not unprocessed bran flakes right? I love your blog–keep up the great work!

134. Amanda G. says:

These are amazing!!!

135. Christine says:

I made these for Halloween and everyone loved them! My husband thinks these are what Butterfingers are supposed to taste like! Consider that a huge compliment since Butterfingers are his all time fave. My daughter is allergic to red dye so she’s thankful for an alternative. I made the bars again tonight & was surprised my daughters friend liked them since she’s no health nut like we are! I even made them with stevia tonight instead of sugar & they taste the same. I added a little more corn flakes this time since they seemed too wet – I don’t think the agave mix got as gooey (maybe w/o sugar) or maybe I just didn’t cook it as long as last time. Thanks for the great recipe, Katie!

136. Denise says:

These are SOOOOOOOOOOOOO good. I couldn’t stop eating them !!! I agree with Katie, cut them before they go in the fridge/freezer. I did not do that and they were hard to cut until they softened up. I ALWAYS LOVED butterfingers !!! THANK YOU !!!!

137. Cheryl says:

Not crazy about the chocolate. I used the coconut oil, cocoa and stevia. But I really like the bars…alot!

138. loren says:

OK so I am new to the blog and love it!!! I have read nothing but your stuff for three days now and was so excited to try this recipe… did not come out the same at all though!
    I followed the recipe …not that it was very complicated…and did everything exact but mine look much darker and spread so thin on the pan they are not quite “bars” . Any thoughts?

1. Unfortunately, I really don’t know what could’ve gone wrong for yours… it’s impossible to know since I wasn’t there, but I can definitely say that they shouldn’t be thin. What specific ingredients did you use? Any specifics you can give will be helpful in trying to figure out what could’ve happened.

139. Amanda says:

I’m eating one of these delicious treats in-between my typing…it’s hard to put it down! Thanks so much for the recipe…this is definitely one of my new faves :) super easy, supppppper yummy *

140. Lizanne says:

These Better-Finger bars are simply amazing and easy and living in my freezer right now. (Well, some of them. The ones that are left.) Thank you so much!

141. Dympna says:

Wowowow – these are so good! and all I’ve had is the off cuts from the batch I just made, yum thank you yum.

142. Brian says:

Katie you will make a great cookbook aruthor.
    Im not even vegan a d lose your recipes and ideas. your so creative.

Your oatmeal chocolate has been made in batches of 5 dozen and last 2 days in the house. girlfriend loves them so much i make dough put in the freezer and she eats it un cooked.

Just wanted to tell how great you are.

I love butterfinger in my ice cream with chia seed, cacao nibs, yummmy!

143. tammy F says:

I made these so delicious! I love all the healthy version of “junk food” now my son can eat these and me too! love them. I used some organic bran flakes that were like 7 grams of fiber!!

144. Natalie says:

Okay, so, I REALLY need to buy some more peanut butter! Butterfingers are like, my second favorite candy. I will SO make these!

145. Anonymous says:

These were great! So yummy. I haven’t had Butterfingers in so long that I couldn’t tell you how they compared but they were delicious in their own right. I followed the recipe exactly except I used 1/2 cup peanut butter and 1/2 cup sunflower seed butter. They were very sweet though. If I wanted to make them less sweet, which sweetener would I cut back on?

146. RB says:

These were perfect to satisfy that craving!

147. Karen says:

Have these freezing up right now – the “batter” was delicious (used brown rice syrup, molasses and regular sugar) but cleaning the saucepan is not going to be fun!

148. Elise says:

I just made these tonight for my parents, husbands and kids and it was such a hit! So easy to make and soooo yummy. I used a mix of honey and agave because I had both. Just felt compelled to share how great it was and I didn’t bother telling my ominivorous family it was a) vegan and b) healthy, just kept it to myself. I can see this being their most frequent dessert request!

1. Elise says:

Ooops, I just realize I put “husbands”, I don’t have more than one husband, don’t practice polygamy, just wanted to clarify! LOL

149. robinmermaid says:

These look so good, but I’m living the Atkins lifestyle, so I want to figure out how to make these sugar-free and low-carb, while staying natural. It can be done, just not sure how it could come out w/o the cereal, or what to sub for that cereal…nuts?

150. Farisa says:

This is HEAVEN! I want to marry these bars!
    Thank you for this amazing recipe!

151. cc says:

I’ve made this a couple of times with almond butter (and no chocolate topping). Tastes like fancy candy!

152. Hillary says:

I actually used two cups of bran flakes for this recipe and the bars turned out to be more like chewy peanut-butter flavored caramel. I think it needed even more bran flakes to get the texture similar to Butterfingers. Did anyone else have this issue?

1. Kari Hanson says:

I used 1 1/2 cups. I liked the texture at that amount, but would not say the texture is similar to butterfinger. But I prefer it this way – I like the taste of butterfinger but not the texture so much.

2. Emily says:

Yes, I did a bit too. I am going to let them freeze longer and see what happens. I commented way below on how mine turned out. Basically I want even more crunch, and a bit less PB flavour.

153. Stephanie says:

How fabulous is this? Thanks!

154. Lissa says:

As someone who’s a huge fan of butterfinger bars (but rarely eats them because woe, the calories!), I can hardly wait to try this recipe out!

155. Hey Katie: Hi from The Great White North,eh?! :-) I was surprised to see corn syrup in your Healthy bars above. Correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t corn syrup one of the “bad” sweeteners? GMO laden and high glycemic from what I understand??? Thanks so much :-)

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

She says in the recipe that you can use maple syrup or agave.

156. Kari Hanson says:

These are freaking amazing. I replaced agave with honey and xylitol with coconut sugar. I went the coconut oil/cocoa route for the topping and added a little vanilla and coconut sugar. Oh my, so so good.

157. Emily says:

Is the nutrition info for using sugar or artificial sweetener?

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Katie’s recipes don’t call for artificial sweeteners.

1. Emily says:

I thought I have seen xylitol and stevia as ingredients in other recipes….but maybe I have been getting my blog readings confused lol!

158. Emily says:

I just tried these- so good! I would have liked more of a crunch though. Maybe I should invest in a candy thermometer or just boil the mixture a bit longer, and/or try a different flaked cereal, and/or use a bit less peanut butter. What combinations has everyone else tried? I used the options; corn syrup, sugar, and Great Value Raisin Bran (I picked out the raisins). The way I did it is still really good, I will have no problem eating them all 😉

159. Michelle says:

I made these a little while ago and just ate one. The resemblance is uncanny! Although I think added more than 1 tbsp of molasses, still good though. I’m wondering why add the cereal? I added corn flakes and it does give another good crunch, but the candy itself is pretty crunchy to me. Love you for the recipe!

160. Donna says:

I made these today. These are fabulous and easy to make.

161. jodi says:

Made these healthy butterfingers last week and they were a HIT!! My boyfriend doesn’t care for sweets, so when I told him what I was making he didnt seem to care too much..however, after he found out they were practically made of only chunky peanut butter and a small amount of sugar…hewas amazed!!! =) he was the one that cleared the pan in 3 days and offered them to every guest! Highly recommend this desert!

162. Amie says:

Has anyone made these gluten free? What cereal flakes did you use and how did they turn out?

163. Denise says:

This is my new favourite recipe of yours. I haven’t been able to stop thinking about them since I finished the last batch. Going to make more tonight. Awesome job!

164. Julia says:

I made these butterfingers when i prepared some christmas-baking-presents for my friends. They are all enthusiastic about it and i have to share your page with them… ;))

165. Stay-at-Home Dad says:

Hi Katie. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed this recipe three times, but I have to admit I wasn’t feeling chocolate yesterday, so… I came up with a Chick-O-Stick version! Basically, just replace the chocolate coating with that of toasted shredded unsweetened coconut. Although I didn’t think to toast the coconut until it was already worked into the top, at which point I threw it under the broiler, I’m sure one could pre-toast the coconut and it would turn out fine. A must try variation to this amazingly delicious treat! Thanks for the work.

166. Jessica says:

Why am I not surprised that you would come up with something this awesome? JP will be so happy to know he can enjoy one of his favorite candy bars while still being healthy 😉 Thanks again Katie!

167. Julia says:

I seriously don’t know how you do it this stuff is better than crack (at least I imagine so) I love your recipes. I am mildly gluten intolerant and severely lactose intolerant and recipes not only accommodate that and are healthy but also taste fantastic!!!! Thank you

168. Danielle M says:

Butterfingers are my favorite candy, but I may never eat them again because your recipe is waaayyy better!! Thanks for this genius idea and all the other great recipes on your blog!!

169. Nicole says:

OK, my mouth is watering! How can I modify for GF? I am going to try brown rice corn chex…ideas?

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Yes, those will work.

2. Abby says:

That’s what I used because I’m GF too, and it worked out amazingly awesome.

170. Julie says:

These are like CRACK! Love them!

171. Abby says:

I love these!!!! My family loved them so much that after I made them the first time (with my Health Nut and chocolatecoveredkatie fan friend) my family wanted me to make them again that day. They irresistible and my family wanted me to make a THIRD batch that day, haha (but I couldn’t cause we ran out of honey, haha.
    I want you to make and post almond joys next!!!!

172. AmyB says:

Mmmmmm! Made them today with Rice Krispies and they are so delicious. My teenage son says they don’t taste healthy at all! Haha! Thank you, Katie.

173. Jasmine says:

These were so easy to make and absolutely fantastic!!

174. Joan says:

These look scrumptious!!

I have a question, though: Which type of agave syrup, light or amber, is to be used in this recipe?

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Either is fine.

175. Kristal says:

Butterfingers have and always will be my favorite. My favorite ice cream was butterfingers ice cream, but since I’m sugar free I couldn’t have it anymore. Now I can! Thank you soooooooooooo much!

176. Michelle Dickson says:

My daughters and I are having a lot of fun trying out different goodies from your website. These Butterfinger bars are DELISH!!!

177. Kelly says:

OMG I am diabetic and pregnant, so my carbohydrate restrictions are pretty severe, but I have been CRAVING Butterfingers as a sweet fat! I’ve been trying to satisfy it with a few little Butterfinger bites here and there, but I am gonna have to try this recipe!!!

178. Am says:

Just made these… Holy heaven!!!! Soooooo good!!

179. Carly says:

I made these twice this week for my family! It’s a favorite for all of us, and I cut the sugar in half.

180. Michele says:

The ONLY candy I will eat…ever. I am dying to try this. Sitting in a Whole Foods cafe right now, so will get up and get the corn flakes (only ingredient I don’t have) and do this when I get home!!!!!

181. tomgirly says:

I really love this. my brother loves this things and my mother is a healthy freak so this really is the best of both worlds. thanks, Katie, so much for sharing this. <3

182. Teresa says:

I was very hesitant to get my hopes up on these… but they were FABULOUS! Seriously, I didn’t think that a real Butterfinger could be replicated so easily and HEALTHY to boot ! Thank you – everyone needs to try these if they like Butterfingers!

183. Hannah says:

My grandmother is diabetic. Her favorite candy is butterfingers, but she can’t have those anymore. Anyway to make this either low sugar or diabetic friendly? I’d love to make some to put in her Christmas stocking!

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

You could use xylitol for the sugar part and they’d be at least somewhat lower in sugar. Depends on her diet, though, and how much sugar is allowed.

184. Julia says:

Well… Was reading elsewhere about smarter chocolatier saying she would tear a Butterfingers from a child, and my husband and I wondered if there was any such thing as a “healthy” Butterfingers? Bingo – this site came up.

Some thoughts – curious if you were aware of the high levels of fructose in agave syrup (Dr. Mercola discusses that in his blog.). I had tried a bottle once upon a friend’s recommendation and my body reacted same as eating HFCS.

So for me, possible end run might be to try the B grade Maple Syrup, since that has more of the minerals etc (not processed as much)? Also I recenky heard about “jaggery” which sounds like a brown sugar / sugarcane product that would be more nutritional value than regular store bought brown sugar. So those were thoughts I had as possible work-arounds.

Second – the xylitol … Does it “affect” you…? Um… Digestively? (Like the infamous Haribo Gummi Bears sugar-free made with xylitol?)?? I wasn’t sure if you had made this recipe exactly once and had eaten it but not had any reactions? Curious. I’m more of a stevia girl myself but it doesn’t blend well with a lot of foods. So I was curious what sort of reactions you might have had? Or does this amount reduce the likelihood of those types of digestive reactions??

Just curious… Thanks!! Looking forward to trying this recipe out.

1. Frank says:

Xylitol acts like a laxative if you eat too much of it at a time. For one piece now and then candy eaters, it may not be so bad. If you’re a “can’t stop eating them” person, you might want to avoid the xylitol.

185. Abby says:

I have a friend who can’t have sugar. Is their a susbstitute for it?

186. Frank says:

These healthy butterfinger bars are delicious. Freezing them seems to make a great (and desirable) difference in the texture. They’re excellent without the chocolate. Next time we’ll make the chocolate layer a little thinner. We omitted the molasses because I had none. In the past, molasses has overpowered other flavors in recipes, so I’m glad for the ommission. They were delicious without the molasses and with the corn flakes. We used 1/3 cup agave nectar and corn flakes instead of the 1st choices in the recipe list. Just the right amount of crunch. We all loved them–friends and family.

187. Jessica says:

I’m addicted to these butterfingers, it’s really bad. I don’t even like the normal butterfingers. Seriously, AMAZING!

188. Leni Checkas says:

Not to add too much to the long list of sweeteners, but I’ve been loving coconut nectar as a substitute (works for vegans).

189. Stephie says:

This is my favorite candy bar and I would feel guilty eating it. Thanks for making a healthier version. It is so good.