Healthy Butterfingers!

Healthy Butterfingers!

Homemade Butterfingers that are secretly GOOD for you?! These addictively delicious healthy butterfingers snack bars have the same toffee-like crunch as real Butterfingers... and they are whole-grain, high in iron, and completely free of high fructose corn syrup! Recipe link: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/10/18/healthy-butterfingers/

Candy bars that defy all logic.

The homemade Butterfingers have that exact same toffee-like crunch of store-bought Butterfinger bars… yet these are whole-grain, high in iron, and completely free of high-fructose corn syrup.

People have left comments proposing marriage to these candy bars... That's how good they are!... from @choccoveredkt... Full recipe: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/10/18/healthy-butterfingers/

pin-it

Okay, so that’s more than two words.

Concision has never been my strong suit. We used to play the quiet game when I was little, and I’d always lose. Unless I tickled my sister, and then she’d lose.

Fair shmare.

Did you ever play the Quiet Game? If you’ve never heard of it: The basic idea is for everyone to be completely silent, and the first person to break the silence loses. Parents often tell their kids to play the game as a ruse to calm the kids down. But whenever we played, it ended up with the opposite effect. I remember one occasion, at a very fancy restaurant, where my dad was making monkey faces at us to get my sister and me to crack first. Finally, my embarrassed mom sent all three of us outside!

Candy bars that are actually GOOD for you?!... from @choccoveredkt... They have the same toffee-like crunch as real Butterfingers... and they are whole-grain, high in iron, and no high fructose corn syrup! Full recipe: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/10/18/healthy-butterfingers/

The inspiration for these healthy butterfingers came from a dollar-bin book I saw at the fabric store. The book recipe (which yielded an 8×8 pan, just like mine) called for 1 cup of sugar, 3/4 cup corn syrup, and 1/3 cup shortening.

Basically screaming for a healthy makeover.

pin-it

Healthy Butterfingers

Print This Recipe No ratings yet.

Ingredients

• 1/4 cup agave (Honey works, but it’s not for strict vegans and will also add a slight honey flavor. Corn syrup will also work, and commenters have said brown rice syrup or pure maple syrup work as well.) (60g)
  • 1 tbsp molasses (regular, or blackstrap for bars high in iron. Or omit and increase agave to 1/3 cup. The taste will be slightly less authentic without the molasses.) (15g)
  • 3 1/2 tbsp xylitol or sugar, or evaporated cane juice (40g) (Texture will be a little less toffee-like, but still just as delicious, if using xylitol.)
  • 1 cup peanut butter (crunchy or creamy) (225g) (Almond or cashew butter will work; the flavor just won’t be as close to that of the popular candy bar.)
  • 1 1/2 cups bran flakes (or cornflakes or another flake cereal) (56g)
  • 1/8 tsp salt (plus a little extra if using unsalted peanut butter)
  • optional topping: 2/3 cup chocolate chips or 1/4 cup virgin coconut oil mixed with 1/4 cup cocoa powder and vanilla stevia drops or liquid sweetener to taste

Instructions

Homemade Butterfingers Recipe: Combine first three ingredients in a small saucepan, and bring to a boil on medium heat. Boil about a minute, stirring constantly, then remove from heat. Add the peanut butter and salt, and stir until it makes a paste. Add the cereal and stir very well to coat, partially crushing the cereal flakes as you stir. Make sure the flakes are very evenly coated. Press into an 8×8 pan—either lined with wax or parchment paper, or greased very well—and freeze until completely hardened. (Cut into bars while only somewhat frozen, or thaw the block a little before cutting.) If you wish to cover in chocolate (they’re good even without it), you can cover them at any time—either pre-cutting or post-cutting. Simply melt the chocolate chips over low heat, stirring constantly until smooth, or mix the coconut oil with the sweetener and cocoa. Then spread over the bars with a spatula and re-freeze to harden. Store in the freezer for optimum “snap.” Makes 12-16 “betterfinger” bars.

View Healthy Butterfingers Nutrition Facts

Link Of The Day:

no-bake-chocolate-recipes_thumb.png

No Bake Chocolate Recipes – 50 Healthy Treats

Tags: , , , , ,

1. Naquita says:

We don’t have Butterfingers here in the UK but these look yummy!

2. This is the best belated birthday present I could have received 🙂 I was just at TCBY last night and drooled over the butterfinger topping but passed because of how high calorie it is. I think I’ll need to make up some of this and sprinkle it on my Arctic Zero!

3. Lisa says:

Yay!!! I am so excited to try these, thank you!! 😀

4. I’ve been looking forward to this make-over. I’m sure I’d go the honey route and I bet it will be delicious. Can’t wait to try!

5. liz says:

they look insane! yum!

6. Mmm, I’ve been waiting for you to post this recipe! As someone said above, we can’t easily buy Butterfingers in the UK so I’ve only ever had them twice…but they are still my favourite chocolate bar!! The only other recipes I’ve seen for them contain candy corn which we also can’t get (& I don’t think are vegetarian anyway?) so I’m super excited to make these asap…thanks Katie! 😀

7. Gale says:

Thanks! These look amazing. I was just wondering can Snickers be simplified, my hubby is always challenging me to make healthy versions and lately he brought up Snickers and Mars to challenge me. Unfortunately, I am not very good with the creative part:) Katie, help please:)

1. Liz says:

We slit open pitted dates and stuff them with crunchy peanut butter and/or nutella and then store them in the fridge or freezer and I call them my healthy mini Snickers bars. 🙂

1. Emma says:

try the fudge babies. the dates taste like caramel!

2. Gale says:

Thank you ladies. You have some great ideas. I will try these very soon:)

3. Darla says:

Check out thisrawsomeveganlife.com ‘s amazing snickers bars 🙂 Even traditional candy bar lovers were pleased.

8. Sarah the official CCK drooler @RomneyRyan2012 says:

And all my dreams just came true. Butterfingers are (and always have been) my favorite.
    That doesn’t mean my thighs or my belly or my bottom likes it.

1. Lacy says:

I think the problem is that those areas also love it and don’t give it up without a fight. lol

9. I am TERRIBLE at the quite game, lol. Good thing my sister was worse 😉

This recipe is just in time for Halloween, when I’m craving all that candy!

10. Rachele says:

Oh, Katie. This looks simply amazing! Cannot wait to try these!! Thank you!!!

11. Mealnie says:

We always played the quiet game. I was horrible. My Dad used to offer whoever won a dollar, I’d try for a few seconds and then say “I don’t want your dollar.”

12. Julie says:

These look great!!!
    And I always lost the “Quiet Game”. I talk way too much!!!

13. These look so good, and WAY healthier than regular butter fingers! I’ll have to try them!

14. Robin says:

I RULE at the quiet game. I kicked butt while playing it with the flower girl at my friend’s wedding rehearsal dinner. Entertained the kid, and avoided awkward mingling!

15. Lauren says:

How are bran flakes healthy? They’re processed junk! 😉

Did you make the bars in the photo with xylitol?

1. Anonymous says:

I’ve seen Katie say before that she uses Whole Foods bran flakes. Not processed junk at all.

1. Anonymous says:

All cereals have gone through the process of extrusion which makes them processed junk. Even the organic gluten-free ones you find at whole foods or other health food stores. These bars are definitely healthier than the store bought equivalents, but still far from healthy esp if using agave or corn syrup.

2. Anna says:

Just try getting the most least processed bran flakes you can. A whole foods store might have some good ones…or some in the ‘healthy’ section of a grocery store. At least it’s a lot better than the real candy, haha 🙂

16. Beth says:

I am so making these today (I had planned on making the Pumpkin Reese’s Cups, but these win.
    My daughter’s favorite candy is a butterfinger bar, but she is allergic to the red food dye in them. The only other recipe I had found was melting candy corn (ick) and covering with chocolate.

She will love these I am sure.

17. Melissa says:

I am so making these! Yum!

18. Yummy says: