Healthy Oreos!

These Healthy Oreos give you the same deliciousness of the original without all the unhealthy ingredients or trans fat.

America’s favorite cookie gets a healthy makeover –

Unlike Oreos, the cookies above are whole-grain, with no artificial flavors or high-fructose corn syrup. They are also much lower in sugar than store-bought Oreos, and they just so happen to be vegan as well.

And just in case you were wondering…

How to make your own Oreos without trans fat, artificial flavors, or corn syrup http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/10/24/healthy-oreos/

Yes, they really do taste like Oreos.

Maybe better. Homemade always tastes better.

healthy oreo cookies

Healthy Oreos
Do you know any Oreo lovers? Oreos are known as America’s favorite cookie, with over 70 million Oreos sold each day! Who is eating all those Oreos???

vegan oreos

Healthy Oreos

(Makes 20-24 sandwich cookies, depending on the size of your circle cutter)

Cookies:

• 3/4 cup spelt flour (or all-purpose, or gluten-free all-purpose) (120g)
  • 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp dutch cocoa powder (30g) (regular cocoa is fine; they just won’t taste as authentic)
  • 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp xylitol or sugar (or coconut sugar or evaporated cane juice) (78g)
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup vegetable or coconut oil (44g)
  • 3 tbsp milk of choice (45g)
  • 2 tbsp pure maple syrup (or agave) (30g)

Filling:

• 1/2 cup powdered sugar or Sugar-Free Powdered Sugar (55g)
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup coconut butter OR non-hydrogenated shortening (such as Spectrum) or Earth Balance coconut spread (58g)

Combine first 5 ingredients, and stir very well. In a separate bowl, combine all liquid ingredients for the cookies. Mix wet into dry to form a dough, then refrigerate 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Put dough in a plastic bag, and smush into one big ball. Remove from bag, roll into a thin dough, and cut flat circles using a circle cutter or a circle-shaped lid. Bake on a greased cookie tray for 10 minutes; they’ll still look a little underdone when they come out of the oven, but that’s ok. Important: allow to cool 10 minutes before removing from the tray.

To make the filling, mix all filling ingredients in a small food processor (or patiently, with a fork). (If using coconut butter, make sure it is melted.) Put about a scant teaspoon-full (3g) on half of the cookie discs, then top each with remaining cookie discs and fridge so filling firms up. Store in the fridge so the filling stays hard.

View Oreos Nutrition Facts

Link Of The Day:

healthy nutella

Healthy Nutella Recipe – The homemade version readers say tastes better than the original!

Tags: , , , , ,

1. Before I went healthy and got all of my food allergies, I used to eat oreos all of the time. I remember one instance where I consumed 2 whole rows in about a half hour time frame. Yikes.

My brother is an avid oreo fan though. His favorite are the mint chocolate oreos, dipped in chocolate. That would be a great recipe for you to remake as well!! He would love you. haha. I think they are called Fudge Creme Mints. Apparently they are addicting because sometimes we have to buy two packages a week for him.

2. Lauren says:

Oreos are one of my weaknesses, I could eat 10 of them in one sitting if I let myself. I found Late July’s version of Oreos a few months ago, and those are organic and have whole grains and green tea extract, so I feel better about eating them, but now I can make homemade ones 😉 I would put some peanut butter on them too

3. Amanda M. says:

Who is eating all those Oreos, you ask? My husband. My husband is eating all those Oreos. He can seriously polish off half a package in one sitting. And I just stare in disbelief as I imagine all the sugar that man is taking in. Yikes! I am going to make these and have him give them a try!

1. Emily says:

And my mom!

4. Katie, these look so adorable – you’re so creative with your recipes! Is the nutrition link for cookies made with xylitol? Thanks!

5. Is the nutritional info for the full regular sugar version, or…?

Thanks!
    🙂

1. Anne says:

I would have to assume the nutritional info is using xylitol since the sugar is practically zero. If you are using regular sugar and powdered sugar I calculate total cals to be 81 with 4.4 grams of sugar per cookie sandwich. (I took calories in 1/4 cup of sugar and 1/2 cup powedered sugar divide by 24 and added that to Katie’s calorie count. )

1. Emma says:

@ Anne: it would actually be less than that, because xylitol DOES have calories too. Almost as much as sugar, so the calories wouldn’t change much, just the sugar amount.

1. Anne says:

Thanks Emma! I haven’t yet worked with xylitol and assumed it was like a splenda. Thanks for making me aware.

1. Thanks! It’s particularly the carbs I’m wondering about. Thoughts on those, using both the regular sugar and regular powdered sugar? Seems unlikely that they are already included, but previously she’s specified, so I wasn’t sure. 🙂

2. My can of xylitol says 4g carbs for 1 tsp, which is the same as sugar (I just googled for a sugar label as well). So that shouldn’t be any different.

6. Emily says:

Katie, these look beyond awesome!!!

!!!!

7. Rena says:

I love how my day gets better when i see you post a recipe!! I need to make these now!!! But i have dishes up to the sky to clean and not sure i want to add to it. Decisions decisions….!

1. Liz says:

Choose chocolate! Chocolate should always win ;).

8. The first thing I do is always run to your nutritional facts to see how many of these I could eat!

1. Liz says:

Hmmm it makes 24? To me, that means I can eat 24. 😉

Ok not really, but if they’re even half as good as all the other CCK recipes I’ve tried, I bet I could eat 24 at once.

Mmmm I might have to make them today. I wonder if my boss would let me go early if I promised to bring her back some.

1. If I was your boss I’d totally accept an Oreo bribe to leave early 🙂

1. alysa says:

haha why are you on cck whilst at work?

9. Liz says:

I have been excited for your Oreo recipe ever since you first mentioned it awhile ago. You amaze me, and your posts always make my day. Every time I check your site, I’m reminded why this is my favorite blog.
    THANK YOU!

10. My mouth is watering just looking at those.

11. I’m a huge Oreo lover!! I love dunking them in milk or dipping them in peanut butter. Cookies ‘n cream is one of my favorite ice cream flavors too!

12. I seriously don’t know how you do it, but I’m sure glad you do!! 😀 YUM!

13. Imogen says:

I’m an Oreo lover! I could eat a whole packet easily if I wanted to. I used to love them with peanut butter 🙂

I was having Oreo cravings today looking through the supermarket, but I resisted and came home to this recipie! It was meant to be, definitely trying these.

14. YUM!! And now I dare you to take those homemade Oreo cookies and make a homemade cookies and cream milkshake. 🙂

1. Julia says:

Me too!!

15. LJ Briar says:

I adore Oreos. They are my favourite store-bought cookie. And honestly, I couldn’t tell you why. The outside is too hard, the creme is very artificial-tasting. And yet I could probably polish off a whole bag by myself if someone was stupid or careless enough to leave me alone in a room with one.

16. Jenny says:

My boyfriend loves oreo, and we are not even from us, or living in the us

17. Wow these look amazing – sort of like those oreo whoopie pies. Is that what the texture is like of the cookie or is it more crunchy like an actual oreo cookie? Anyway, I love oreos! Going to have to try this as well as your powdered sugar recipe.

1. Store in a plastic container for soft cookies. Otherwise they are crispy like Oreos… and you can make them even crispier if you wish, by cooking a tiny bit longer.

2. Andrea says:

So glad you asked this. I hate the oreo whoopie pies (oreo cakesters, I think they’re called), but I looooooove regular oreos. I was hoping this recipe would be more like the original!

18. Oh my, these look wonderful! I don’t have the filling ingredients on-hand, but I may whip up some sort of peanut butter frosting/icing/goo. Thanks for the recipe!

19. Rachel says:

I have you to thank for my re-found love of Oreos, Katie! My go-to dessert is your Chocolate Fudge Pie (oh my word, is that heavenly!), but I make it with an Oreo-cookie crust instead of pie crust … and inevitably I have leftover Oreos, and well, someone has to eat them! I know they’re not good for me, but I love them oh so much. I will most definitely be trying these though, too. 🙂

20. Emma says:

Ahhhh! You are the BEST!!! I can’t even tell you how excited I am for this. Oreos were my favorite cookie growing up, but I haven’t had one in years.
    I agree with you that homemade is always better. Definately going to try these babies out!