Healthy Eggnog!

Jingle bells, jingle bells, jingle all the way

No sugar, no dairy, no raw eggs... A healthy alternative to traditional eggnog. Surprisingly, it's really good!   http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/12/06/healthy-eggnog/

Come July, I’ll still be drinking this sweet Christmas-y shake, because it is that good.

Might need a new song, though.

healthy eggnog protein shake!

Let’s go surfin now, everybody’s learning how, come on and safari with meeeeeee…

Or not.

Maybe I’ll just stick to the Christmas carols in July as well. Yes, drinking homemade eggless eggnog on the beach while singing Christmas carols. I can hardly wait!

healthy eggnog

Healthy Eggnog

(Single-serving and high in protein!)

• 1 cup milk of choice (240g) (Use a thicker milk for best taste. Silk almondmilk works well. Coconut milk (the full-fat kind that comes in a can) works well too. Or you can do 1/2 milk and 1/2 Silk creamer for a deliciously-rich shake (240g)
  • 1/2 cup Mori-Nu silken-firm tofu (There are a few soy-free substitutions for this recipe. See “nutrition info” link below for all options.) (120g)
  • 1/2 tsp lemon juice (2g) (omit if desired)
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 2 tsp xylitol or sugar (8g)
  • 1 nunaturals stevia packet, or 1 tbsp sugar (or evaporated cane juice, coconut sugar, etc.)
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp each nutmeg and ginger
  • 1/16 tsp (tiny dash) cloves
  • optional: a little rum if desired

Combine all ingredients and blend until smooth. (I used a Magic Bullet. If you don’t have a blender, perhaps you can use silken tofu and just stir by hand.) Drink cold, or heat if desired. Recipe is single-serving and can be sugar-free, dairy-free, vegan, cholesterol-free, low-fat, and gluten-free. And no raw eggs! For troubleshooting, substitutions, and nutrition facts, see link below:

View Healthy Eggnog Nutrition Facts

vegan eggnog

Come on baby, surfin safari…

Question of the Day: Any Oldies music fans out there?

I just read an article on Brian Wilson, so now all the Beach Boys songs are stuck in my head. Not exactly appropriate for December, but it’s been so warm recently that singing Frosty the Snowman doesn’t seem suitable either.

Link of the Day:

lemon bars
………….Healthy Lemon Squares

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

1. What a great recipe! I’d been planning to try a different one that I came across that uses avocados, but they can be so expensive! This might just do the trick :)

Thanks, as always!

1. You could still add some avocado to this recipe to make it extra creamy!

2. Amy McCann says:

I don’t like eggnog or tofu, but I’m totally game to try it!! I have tofu in the fridge to make your cheesecake and yet there it still sits. Thinking I’ll make the shake for breakfast for my 4 girls. WE LOVE ALL YOUR STUFF KATIE!! Seriously, almost everyday we have a CCK recipe :) Thank you for what you do, I tell everyone about your sight!

3. Dana says:

Oh, I am so excited to try this! Eggnog was one of my top five things about Christmas when I was kid. But now I’m mostly egg-free/ lactose intolerant so the traditional kind isn’t really an option. Thanks!! :)

4. I’ve never had eggnog before, but there’s a first time for everything. May just have to be this year! :)

5. Lea says:

I’ve never been a big fan of eggnog but this recipe might make me a convert :) Eggnog sounds much tastier without the raw egg!

6. Oh my, I love eggnog, but always feel just a little yucky after downing my entire glass. What a fantastic solution! Eggnog for breakfast please!
    For old music, I’m all about the classic carols right now! Dean Martin, please sing me your Christmas tunes (thank you Pandora!)

7. Maya says:

Quick question- if you heated it, would the tofu cook and be a scrambled tofu texture? Or does blending it with everything else prevent this?

1. Taylor says:

No, the tofu wouldn’t scramble.

2. It didn’t scramble when I heated it :).

1. Jamie says:

Mine became thicker when I heated it, but I liked the thicker texture, more like real eggnog! I just stirred it before drinking and it was good. I also felt it became sweeter when I heated it.

8. kimthevegan says:

This looks super tasty! I’m soy-free and appreciate the substitutions (the cashew one sounds especially good to me).
    As it’s December, I’m on the holiday-tune mix, so my oldies consist of Bing Crosby, Ella Fitzgerald, Marilyn Monroe & Nat King Cole.

9. Kerry says:

Im so in love with eggnog but now that Im eating healthy and clean, I cant justify drinking the unhealthy store bought versions. Thank you for this! I, too, will be drinking eggnog in the summer …basically all year. :)

10. Taylor says:

This looks great! I don’t usually like the Silk eggnog that much but I will definitely try this with some rum over the holidays!

11. Wow – this looks and sounds amazing!! Thank you so much for this, we are spending xmas with the in laws and i want to make some recipes that will be yummy but healthy – this one is definitely going on my recipe list!

12. Terri says:

My grandma always said “You have to have a little Nog in it”. That meant bourbon! She made ridiculously rich & tasty homemade egg nog, and even us kids got a little taste of the “nog”! Now that I’m vegan, I’ll have to try your version, with a little nog of course!

Also, the Bare Naked Ladies song “Brian Wilson” is now stuck in my head, thanks! 😉

13. krista says:

i have been a huge fan of the beach boys and brian wilson forever! it’s funny – brian wilson actually walks around the park right by my parents house twice a day EVERYDAY, and no one even notices or cares. it’s like there’s a living john lennon just strolling around, and people just assume he’s some old nut…

14. I’ve been searching all over for a good “eggless” eggnog…I’m not vegan and I don’t have any allergies (in fact, I eat eggs all the time and love them!), but the whole “raw egg” deal makes me a little uneasy. Plus, so many of the brands of eggnog at the grocery store are made with HFCS and all sorts of other highly processed ingredients…Fine for a once-in-a-while treat but not if you would like to drink eggnog daily throughout the holiday season! 😉 I finally discovered Silk Nog, which tastes delicious and has a relatively short ingredient list, but I’ll have to try your version as well! Thanks, Katie!

15. Trudy Holtz says:

This is great Katie! Thank you for putting this up. I have never liked real eggnog, but this has so much more fun in it. I think I’ll put bourbon in mine…and a little maple syrup for my nieces!

My favorite holiday song is Pearl Bailey and Five Pound Box of Money. Have a great holiday! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWLfSInlZ6Y

16. laura says:

looks great, i love all those flavours! out of curiosity, whats the lemon juice for?

1. It adds a nice flavor kick. But I know people don’t always have lemon juice on hand, and the shake will still be good without it.

17. I have made my own eggnog with tofu before, but I made mine much thicker!

18. Allison says:

This recipe is amazing!! I love eggnog, but can’t drink the traditional kind.
    And I love oldies… I may be in my twenties, but basically all I listen to is 60s, 70s and Sinatra! They’re still popular for a reason.