Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

How To Make Cashew Cream

How to make your own cashew cream at home:

The 2-ingredient healthy sub for heavy cream: NO soy, NO gluten, NO dairy, and NO coconut!

Why cashew cream?

It is a wonderful and versatile (soy-free!) alternative to heavy cream that can be used as a topping for fresh berries, sliced peaches, or my Crustless Pumpkin Pie. It also makes a fabulous coconut-free base for ice cream or chocolate mousse, or you can use it to thicken soups, smoothies, or for making the creamiest alfredo sauce of your life.

NO dairy / NO soy / NO gluten / NO coconut / NO eggs

Cashew Cream

The cream takes on the flavor of whatever ingredients you use to season it– try garlic, salt, onion, and a little turmeric for a savory cashew cream sauce. Or add some stevia, maple syrup, sugar of choice, or even an overripe banana for a sweeter sauce or dessert topping or mousse.

My sister has a really good ice cream recipe that uses dairy heavy cream, and I’ve been meaning to try replacing the cream in her recipe with this homemade cashew cream recipe. The first time I ever tried making cashew cream was actually in a savory recipe, after I’d had the best alfredo sauce of my life during my lunch at Blossom in New York City. Since then, I’ve used the cream mostly for pie recipes, but I also really like it on top of freshly-sliced peaches in the summertime. So so good!

I’m sure many people have their own tweaked method and recipe for homemade cashew cream. What follows is my way. If you can’t find raw cashews, raw macadamia nuts are equally delicious here!

Print This Recipe No ratings yet.

How To Make Cashew Cream

• 1 cup raw cashews or macadamia nuts (120g)
  • 1/3 cup to 3/4 cup water, depending on how thick you want your cream (For homemade cashew milk, use 3 cups water)
Total Time: 3h
Yield: 1 to 1 1/2 cups

In a bowl, cover the cashews with water and let sit at least 3 hours (no longer than 8). Drain completely, then combine the drained cashews with the water and blend until very smooth (a full minute in a Vita-Mix, or much longer in a food processor, making sure to scrape down the sides occasionally). For a sweet cream, add pure vanilla extract, salt, and sweetener (if using 3/4c water, add 1/8 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp vanilla. Also add 1-2 tbsp sugar or maple syrup, or a pinch of stevia, or a few dates.) For a savory vegan cream, add a little salt and perhaps some lemon juice, miso, fresh or dried herbs, etc. This recipe lasts 3-4 days in the fridge, or it can be frozen. Makes up to 1 1/2 cups cashew cream.

View Cashew cream Nutrition Facts

crock pot oatmeal

LINK OF THE DAY: Crock Pot Oatmeal

Tags: , , , , ,

1. Lisa says:

I’ve made cashew cream before and it’s amazing! I’ve also tried it with the macadamia nuts, and oh gosh, that may be even better!
    This reminds me I need to make up a new batch, it tastes even better than whipped cream ever did.

1. I agree, Macadamia is more expensive… but it’s the best cream ever!

2. Anonymous says:

I’m totally making this for my friends! One absolutely loves cashew butter so I’m sure she’ll like it and the other is gluten free, soy free and allergic to coconut, eggs and dairy… Haha so I’m sure she’ll appreciate it.

3. Anonymous says:

Could you make this into a whipped cream by whipping it?

1. Donna says:

+1….Would LOVE to know if there’s a way to “whip” this into creamy frenzy?!…If anyone is up to the challenge…it’s you Katie!!…You are the master…thank you for this generous and practical offering!

1. Chocolate Covered Katie says:

I’ve never tried whipping it with beaters. But if you use less water, it is definitely creamy/thick enough to stand on its own as a whipped cream sub for the top of a piece of pie or strawberry shortcakes or something like that.

1. Eboni says:

My mistake was to let the nuts sit in water too long. Everything was perfect except it is too watery. However, I am going to use it in my oatmeal and other hot cereals. Your recipe is wonderful and I can’t wait to use it again.

4. This sounds great, even just to put in coffee or tea. Do you know if it works for other nuts as well? Or, I guess a better question would be, why cashews?

1. Chocolate Covered Katie says:

You can do it with almonds (skinned). Pecans work, but the texture is less creamy. Pistachios too. Macadamias and cashews are just creamier to begin with (texture-wise, if that makes sense).

1. Louise says:

Cashews also have very little flavour, so the cream doesn’t spoil (or affect the flavour of) the rest of the dish :-)
        I frequently make cashew cream and also cashew “cheese”…

5. FUDGE! Some fudge recipes call for heavy cream . . . I was trying to make a vegan version of fudge last Christmas using homemade sweetened condensed milk (fail) and I think I was going to try to use coconut milk for the cream . . . (fail) 😉

Oh, cream once made me so sad by the way . . . I went to a restaurant with a friend, and I was going to order their Butternut Squash Bisque, but it had CREAM in it! Otherwise it would have been vegan, and I would have been happy . . . Thank you for this recipe, Katie!!

6. Katie this looks great! I really like that there’s no coconut, and I really struggle with recipes that call for heavy cream when I need them to be dairy free. Sometimes I know coconut just won’t mix. This is awesome, I’m headed out to buy cashews now. Can’t wait to see what ice “cream” recipes you come up with for this one!

7. I have made cashew cream and I simply love it! It’s wonderful sweetened up and topped on my ice cream!!

8. I’ve never made it because cashews are so expensive. It would be more fun to make in bizarro world where heavy cream costs a million dollars, and cashews are free. Still sounds good, though.

9. Sarah the official CCK drooler says:

I LOVE cashew cream. I make one from a raw book I have and it’s insane. To the basic cream goes maple syrup for sweetener, vanilla, and I like to add some citrus zest, and sometimes I’ll just do some cocoa powder instead of vanilla. with fresh berries, its AMAZING. I’ve seen people do savory cashew creams, but I just can’t get on board with that! For heavy cream (if I don’t want a heavy meal), I’ll usually use coconut milk instead. Always works!

10. Alyssa says:

I should totally try this in place of coconut milk in some of my thicker creamier desserts, etc. Great tutorial!

11. Tanner says:

Oh yum! Cashew cream! Pistachio cream sounds maybe even better 😀
    I wish I had time to cook the whole world (and eat it too)!
    By the way, Katie, do you have any plans for a tres leches cake? I bet nondairy milks could give it so many different and wonderful flavors. I loooooooove tres leches!

1. Chocolate Covered Katie says:

It is on my long to-do list. But I never actually tried Tres Leches Cake before going vegan, so I’m not sure what it’s supposed to taste like!

1. Kara says:

It might be worth breaking your diet for a bite. It’s the one cake I cant give up yet on the occasion it is available. It’s so amazingly delicious.

12. Carolyn says:

When I worked at a health food restaurant 40 years ago we made cashew cream and poured over the fruit salad! yummerlicious!

1. Chocolate Covered Katie says:

You were way ahead of the times :).

13. Lisa @bitesforbabies says:

I loooove cashew cream and cashew icing!!! By the way, that first pic with the raspberries is gorgeous!!!! Do you only use natural light or do you also have lighting?!

1. Chocolate Covered Katie says:

Aw thanks. I really liked that photo. It was natural lighting, set up against a north-facing window, with a tripod and the camera set to go off on a delay. I held a white sheet of paper in the background and edited out the seam (where the two pieces of paper met) in photoshop.

1. Lisa @bitesforbabies says:

Wow, that sounds a bit too complicated for me, lol! Maybe you should do a side-blog on photography for dummies ;-)))

14. Too cool- I just bought a bag of cashews to use for baking/cooking! I’ll have to try it in an alfredo sauce. That sounds good!

15. Molly says:

Do you have your own cashew cream alfredo sauce recipe that you could share? Or one someone else wrote that you recommend?

1. cck says:

I’ve never actually measured anything for it. I just start with the cashew base and add whatever I think sounds good at the moment. I always add some salt and lemon juice and onion powder. Other ingredients that sometimes get added are miso, oregano, rosemary, basil, nutritional yeast… not all at the same time or for the same batch, though.

16. Nicky says:

I’ve seen cashew cream in savory dishes and recipe but would never have thought to use it as a cream alternative in sweet things! I have a question about the nutrition facts: the facts are given for 15g, but I don’t see any mention of how many servings this recipe makes (in other words, how many 15g servings can one expect to get out of the total 1.5 cups the recipe yields). I’ve noticed this in some of the other recipes’ nutrition facts as well; I realize that you give the weight measurements to before accurate, but not everyone has a scale, so perhaps you could give the volume measurements as well, or at least list the number of servings you used to calculate the facts.

1. Liz says:

Generally speaking, you can pretty much convert grams directly to milliliters when you don’t need to be precise. So 15g would be 15ml, or 1 tablespoon, meaning that you should get roughly 24 servings out of the batch.

1. Nicky says:

Thanks Liz! I’m guessing this may change a bit depending on the amount of water used, but that does help. But 24 servings is a lot! 29 calories per serving didn’t seem too bad, but more than 600 for 1.5 cups is A LOT!

17. kathy says:

Hi Katie,
    Am wondering if you have tried to make whipped cream with this recipe for
    cashew cream with the isi easy whip (which I love , by the way)?

1. Lizzie says:

I second the question!
      Katie, do you have any recipes for the isi whip? Please!!! :)

1. cck says:

Sorry, I haven’t tried it.

18. Who would’ve thought it’d be so easy? I’d love to try this out in an alfredo recipe, mm!

19. Cathy says:

We know you care. It is ok to keep your blog on the topic of food.

20. Emma says:

I was wondering how much water to use for different thicknesses? For example, how much for a whipped texture, how much for a pouring texture etc. Does anyone know?

1. cck says:

Start with the lower amount for thicker cream, and add liquid as needed.

21. Kelsey says:

I am so glad I recently re-found your blog! I needed a healthier alternative for Alfredo. I’m going to attempt it for a girls night meal! Thank you!

22. Keri says:

I appreciate that you don’t have depressing things on here… I think of your blog as a refreshing, bright spot on the web. Please don’t feel you have to offer disclaimers when you don’t mention tragedies. They’re appallingly often, and you cannot cover them all. There are so many other blogs one can read about such things, and I for one enjoy yours just the way it is… and LOVE the colorful updated design!!!

1. J says:

I agree with you Keri. Spot on.

Dear Katie, please don’t feel that since you own a blog, that you have to tell everyone how sorry you feel for the victims in the Boston bombings or for victims in any other situation. We understand you have a heart for others and we love you.

23. Jeanne G. says:

Do you know if you can do this with other nuts? I’m allergic to cashews and hazelnuts, but no other nuts so far.

1. Ariel says:

Katie mentioned this can be done with almonds! :)

24. Scones! This would be perfect for scones!

1. Donna says:

+1…YES! This would be simply amazing over blueberry lemon scones and a pistachio cream variant/riff would be stunning with a raspberry or dried cranberry – studded scone. Need to try this nut “cream” for this weekend’s brunch!

25. Amanda says:

I love the idea of this, I see heavy cream called for in so many recipes, and I hate having to buy it because I can never use it before it goes bad (also, milk and I don’t get along so well). So it’s good to know there’s a nice substitute, and even better with those nutritional stats!

I love the idea of being able to use this to make a whipped cream! I bought the iSi Mini Whip after you posted about it. Would it be possible to use this recipe, or a slightly altered version, in the Mini Whip?

1. Chocolate Covered Katie says:

Sorry, I haven’t tried.

26. I LOVE cashew cream! It’s wonderful on top of warm quinoa and berries as a breakfast ‘cereal’ alternative :) I like to sweeten mine with a little pure maple syrup too!

27. looks fantastic.. never thought of adding water and turning it into cream. I’ve just made cashew nut butter. great post Katie!

28. Marilyn says:

Ooo… Are you planning to share the cashew cream alfredo recipe? I’m intrigued. :-)

1. cck says:

I don’t really have a recipe for it. I’ve never actually measured anything… I just start with the cashew base and add whatever I think sounds good at the moment. I always add some salt and lemon juice and onion powder. Other ingredients that sometimes get added are miso, oregano, rosemary, basil, nutritional yeast… not all at the same time or for the same batch, though.

1. Marilyn says:

Thanks for the ideas. I live in the NYC area, so maybe I can wander over to Blossom and try theirs to get a reference point.

2. Lisa says:

Since this isn’t dairy you can’t make it into “butter” by whipping. Then it’s cashew butter you’re looking for.

29. Bianca says:

Wow, this looks like a really nice heavy cream substitute! You could probably add sugar and vanilla and make some yummy ice cream:)

30. Shay says:

YUM! This seems really useful, and I can’t wait to use it:) Do you think it would work in a custard??

1. cck says:

I guess it depends on the particular recipe. If you try it, let me know how it goes!

31. Bryanna says:

I really look forward to trying this.

And I also had a question. I’ve looked around on your site, and for a lot of recipes, there’s a nut required for it. There’s a few that I’d like to try and make for family gatherings, but my cousins are both allergic to nuts. I didn’t see any substitutes, but I was wondering if there was any?

1. smart alec says:

yeah, every other type of cream ever

1. Bryanna says:

Thanks for reading to notice that I wasn’t asking about this specific recipe.

1. Chocolate Covered Katie says:

Hi Bryanna,
          It really depends on the recipe.

32. A word to the wise – never attempt to freeze this stuff! I had some leftover and stuck it in the freezer, then pulled it out and used it in a soup, which totally tasted like it had sand in it.

33. Rhonda-T says:

You mentioned not letting the nuts soak longer than 8 hours, and I have always wondered about this… I have read that you can soak cashews longer than macadamias, but not as long as almonds and it seemed rather odd. Is there a point at which the nuts break down, or do they just start to spoil and grow bacteria? Does using filtered water, which I have seen in recipes calling for soaked nuts make a difference?

1. Chocolate Covered Katie says:

No idea about the filtered water. I just think they start to taste rancid/odd if soaked too long.

34. Bek @ Crave says:

Love the idea- what a coincidence, I was recently attempting to make a healthier thickened cream also :)

35. Hazel says:

Heck yes! I love cashew cream sweetened a bit and poured over pancakes. Yes POURED. I devour it. SO GOOD! Probably one of the coolest things to make.. and most delicious… and easiest… I gotta go make some right now! haha :)

36. Judy says:

I’ve never tried anything like this, but I think I will. I do have one question, though. In the recipe it says: ” Drain, then combine the drained cashews with the water and blend until very smooth.” So you drain it, but reserve the water, then combine the nuts with the water again and blend? Maybe I’m being dense, but why drain the cashews if you are just going to put them back together again?

1. Anonymous says:

I think you use fresh water when blending, the initial water is however much you need to cover them to soak, then you discard that (good for plants I believe) and then when in the blender add 1/3 – 3/4C depending on how thick you want the cream.

2. Jenny says:

I drained the water into a measuring cup and reused it. I added small amounts back in based on how thick i wanted the cream. My first time making it and I used an immersion blender. Different but still yummy. I am far from vegan but love to try all sorts of healthy recipes. :) Thanks Katie!

3. melissa says:

When you soak nuts, they release enzyme inhibitors into the water. Because the enzyme inhibitors inhibit digestion and absorption of nutrients, you wouldn’t want to reuse the water. Some people choose to soak and then dehydrate all nuts and seeds. You can buy nuts, nut butters, and etc that have been de-enzyme inhibitorized for you.

1. Rita says:

“Raw” cashews aren’t really raw. They have to be heated/boiled to get them edible; raw cashews are not roasted with salt and added oils.

37. Ash says:

I’ve made ice cream with just cashews, dates, cocoa and water before and it turned out (surprisingly) amazing. Give it a go!

38. Wow! I never knew cashews could do this! Do you think it would work in a normal blender??? I bet you could make ice cream with this too!!

1. Chocolate Covered Katie says:

I really don’t know :-?.

2. Anonymous says:

I made it in my food processor and had to blend forever, literally a total of like 40 minutes on and off. It was super yummy, but I think I still never got as creamy a texture as I could have with a Vitamix. Maybe soaking longer could have helped. I soaked for about 4 hours only. Oh Vitamix…one day I will have you in my life…

3. Anonymous says:

Have made ice cream with it! Works great!

39. Emily says:

We always make a version of this for desserts at special occasions. If you chill the cream overnight you can whip it up almost like whipped cream. It’s the perfect alternative for my lactose intolerant brother.

40. Angie says:

your blog is about food — your personal thoughts are just that, personal — no need to apologize

41. Deb says:

Can this be used in coffee? I’ve been making my own creamer with lite coconut milk but it doesn’t taste as good as I’d like… Any suggestions? I’m trying to limit dairy in my diet but don’t want to go crazy calorie/fat wise (I use a good amount of cream

1. Chocolate Covered Katie says:

I think it would be wonderful in coffee!

42. This sounds so good, I’m sure it would be a good topping for fruit! This past summer I made a cashew tomato soup that had raw cashews food processed with the tomato soup and it was soo good.

1. Donna says:

Loving your idea for enhancing/thickening up tomato soup with a cashew cream swirl over starch-riddled potato or grain-based ingredients. Totally “stealing” this delicious, nutritious idea.

43. Natalyn says:

Wow, I love coconut cream, but have yet to try cashew cream!

My family used to have a recipe called “strawberries in heaven”. Basically, you would cut up a truckload of strawberries and then drown them in cream and sugar. Pretty much the most amazing thing ever, but the body doesn’t approve. Me thinks that if you made a healthy version of this, you would get pretty amazing results. Can you imagine?? Fresh strawberries, sweet cashew cream, and topped with shaved dark chocolate? 😀

1. Donna says:

Sounds perfect Natalyn !…Fantastic idea to get the fresh strawberry & cream fixation that always grabs me at this time of year….and with the dark chocolate shavings…beautiful textures and color “popping” going on…No one would feel deprived with this quickly produced…yet healthy dessert idea!

44. eValerie says:

Katie — You might be interested in a cookbook called “Vice Cream” — that is vegan ice cream. It uses this type of cashew cream as the base for a lot of the recipes. I love the Black Forest ice cream recipe in particular — chocolate and cherries — yum!

(I am not connected to the book’s authors in any way. I just own a copy of the book and think it’s cool.)

1. eValerie says:

Oh — also, I make cashew cream all the time. You don’t actually have to soak the cashews first. Just add a little extra water if you use un-soaked cashews.

I figure that blending un-soaked cashews is like cutting them into really tiny pieces that will absorb liquid much faster than whole cashews would. So I usually blend the cashew cream first, then let it sit while I prep other foods, and then re-blend the cashew cream one last time before serving. Works great!

45. Ellen says:

Mmmm, I’m thinking vegan white russians with cashew cream?

46. Lee says:

Thanks for sharing your recipe, along with ALL of your recipes – they’re fantastic!
    Speaking (or writing, rather) from Australia, I’d like to say that you would have every right to mention how you’re feeling or what you’re thinking about the events that happened just recently. Senseless acts by senseless people need to be discussed, maybe not here, but somewhere. Lee xx

1. Lee says:

I meant to add “or not mention”, every right to mention or not mention…

47. Lili says:

I am addicted to you! Everything I have tried is amazing! I have loved sharing your blog and recipes with all my friends. I have recently cut all meat and dairy out of my diet, lost weight and feel great. My goal is to make one of your recipes a week but I already made your goldfish crackers, black bean brownies and today I am making your chocolate chip pie to take to a party and the new cashew cream. Thank you so much.

1. Lillian says:

Also addicted to Katie but don’t know how to get onto her blog. I’m 72 and not too computer savvy so would appreciate your help. Thanks in anticipation of a reply from you.

1. Hi Lillian,
        You ARE on the blog. You left a comment, and I can see it, which means you did figure it out correctly :).

48. Kim says:

Hi Katie, I’m allergic to raw nuts, but I’m OK when they’re roasted… do you think I could use soaked roasted cashews?

49. Rosemarie Bollmann says:

I don’t have have a Vita Mix or food processor. I have a little mini one and blender. Any suggestions?

50. Trisha says:

I use cashew cream all the time and I love it for soups, gravies, sauces, desserts, you name it! My old generic blender is wearing out from years and years of use and love, blending up much tofu and nuts in my vegan cooking. I am wanting to get a new blender that will show these nuts who is boss! VitaMix or Blendtec is what I’m thinking…..What blender do you use and why do you like it?

51. i love making cashew cream…i have it with everything i can!!

52. Linnea says:

Eventhough I don’t like any creamy stuff on my loved raspberries that first picture is GORGEOUS!!!

53. laura christine says:

Ice cream! Katie, I just wanted to compliment you on your beautifully executed photograph! We’ve all seen your photo skills improve, but you could DEFINITELY send that raspberry one to anywhere! I want it in my kitchen! Haha

54. Love cashew creme! This is simpler then the one I make. Thanks :)

55. I’ve only ever made cashew cream as a base for savory foods. I love the idea of adding vanilla and a bit of sweetener. I bet it would be delicious on fresh fruit. I don’t have a high power blender like a Vitamix or Blendtec and always find my cashew cream to be a bit grainy. Even with 8 hours of soaking the cashews. Is this just to be expected or is there any way to make it truly smooth?

56. Liz says:

“Also: I choose not to mention some things here because I don’t know if this is the proper place or that I have the right (or that anything I say could make things better). But although I’m not publicly posting quotes or Bible verses on my food blog or on facebook about tragedies taking place in America or around the world, it doesn’t mean I’m not privately sending thoughts, prayers, and donations. It doesn’t mean my heart isn’t breaking for those who are directly involved.”

I really get urked when going to ‘food’ blogs, that are soley food blogs and they comment on things or throw out bible versus etc. I know it’s their right and I would never complain but I often wonder if they know how uncomfortable it makes people who just came for a recipe. If they have a private blog I’m all for what ever they want lol but leave food as food 😀

Thank you for your wonderful recipes~!

57. Anonymous says:

Do you think that could whip this up and make butter? Then make cakes, cookies, bla bla bla etc?!!?!!!

1. Isabel says:

well I’m not sure if that works in the whipping sense of it, but I don’t think the butter would have the right properties to work with a lot of recipes outside of already vegan ones. I Loooooooooooooooooooooooooove baking, and I just have a feeling it might not work. But I bet it would with some of katie’s recipes! (if the whipping works, that is)

58. Annette says:

This was fabulous!!! And so easy to make! I used it on mixed fruit (bananas, berries, grapes). It was divine! I used 1 full cup of water and it was still thick and creamy. I also used a bit more sweetener and vanilla and it was very dessert-like. Thank Katie!

59. Samantha says:

I made this and added Mexican seasonings (chili powder, cumin, garlic powder) and a little lime juice and served it on top of tacos one night, then on top of black bean burgers the next, I can’t get enough!

60. Isabel says:

I don’t know if whipping this with egg beaters or a kitchenaid mixer would work, but I do have an iSi cream whipper that uses those tiny canisters of Nitrous (i think) that might work. I’m a little afraid to try because it might ruin the cashew cream AND use up one of the canisters! I don’t really want to buy new canisters because i don’t whip cream very often any more…but great recipe! Probably going to put it on some fresh strawberries i have

61. Ashley says:

THANK YOU SO MUCH!! I made this last night and it was ah-mazing! My husband is lactose intolerant, so when I saw that I could possibly make a dessert that had “whipped cream” that he could actually eat, I just HAD to try it out. I was in awe! This was fabulous. I’m excited to try it on the savory side… I haven’t been able to make fettuccine Alfredo for yeeeeears, and I think this would be perfect!

62. Hey! Katie, you are seriously SO inspirational. I Love all that you post. I am a health food freak and really would love to have a blog like this someday. I just started one ( I love ALL your recipes. Never stop what you do !!! XOXO

63. Hey Katie! All of your posts are amazing! You are SO inspiring. I am a health food nut and I love your site! I just started my own ( and I hope to make mine awesome! Never stop doing what you do! XOXO

64. Michelle says:

I have a question, just to be clear, when I put the cashews and water in the food processor, am I supposed to use the water that I soaked them in, or fresh water? Thanks!

65. dawn says:

This is so good! For those wanting whipped cream, like a cool whip type, I also tried this
    It took a bit of work, but it is so good.
    I also used raw cashew pieces and soaked them overnight, it make getting them smooth a little easier.
    I am using it on your chocolate pecan pie tonight! :)

66. Jacque Foster says:

Oh my…this is soooooooo delicious. Warm, straight out of the blender, it tastes like a delicious and difficult-to-make sauce. I imagine cold it will taste even better, like an ice cream that has melted a little. (I’m using it as a sauce over fresh berries for dessert.) I will never look at cashews the same way again (which was as the dry, semi-boring nut I tolerated in otherwise delicious nut mixes!) Btw, I used 4 cups of nuts, 2 cups of water and agave instead of grain sugar. By lessening the water, I left room for the liquid sweetener, and it worked great. The cream is thick but pourable. Perfect consistency!

67. Hannah says:

So my friend is dairy free and ive been meaning to make her a cheese cake … i’ve learnt you can use dairy free milk to make ricotta – but can you use cashew/macadamia cream in either a baked or an unbaked cheesecake?

thanks xxx

68. Miranda says:

I thought my blender wouldn’t be able to handle it, but it this recipe turned out great. Ultra creamy and smooth. Now I want to make more for some home made ice cream! :)

69. Vegan Runner says:

Well, now, that’s really old,… this recipe, or idea, has been published on a bunch of other vegan or raw food blogs before. Why not something new? Honestly, Katie, I know you do have better ideas than this!

1. Anonymous says:

well, everyone who follows katie and sees this recipe but not on another website still got a lot out of it!

70. Jana says:

Hi Katie,
    I have enjoyed so many of your recipes, but this cashew cream has changed my life! Thank you so much for putting up the recipe. I have been looking for a substitute for cream in risotto and this cashew concoction is the perfect bit of cream to make a heavenly risotto! I have also enjoyed it with blackberries and peaches (soo good too), and will tackle trying to make some ice cream soon.
    Keep on being creative, I always enjoy looking up your blog and checking what you have come up with!
    All the best from Germany,

71. Plert says:

Cashew nuts are great

72. Chelsea says:

I have tried making cashew cream and cashew cheese cake and cashew all sorts of stuff. And I just DO NOT like it! I don’t think it tastes like anything that it is supposed to! A love it in cheese replacement dishes. Like queso or spinach dip. It is amazing. But anything sweet, I have to double the sweetener and I still feel like it just tastes… Weird and not sweet enough and kind of bitter and pasty. I feel like I am alone in this as a super healthy eating vegan who just doesn’t like it. :( And I am not writing this just to be a negative nancy – I am wondering if I am the only vegan who feels this way and if there is anything else I can try!! At least I love coconut, but as for vegan cheesecake and stuff like that, I just can’t get past the pasty flavor. :'(

73. vicki says:

Do u soak Macadamia nuts for same amount of time?

1. vicki says:

Also, do u think adding healthy food coloring to make a pooh bear cake would work?

74. vicki says:

1. Yes same time. And sure, why not? :)

75. Jennifer says:

Hello! Has anyone used this cream for coffee? Thanks!

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Yes, it works well!

76. Pamela Haley says:

Every since I started following your recipes, I’ve desired a Vitamix blender. I happened across a Costco presentation and almost cried when I found out it was $500… on sale.

77. mochi says:

Thanks, it is such an good idea to substitute the dairy product. But can it whipped to peak form?

78. Chichi says:

Can I use roasted cashews to make cashew cream? :)

79. Amy says:

I made a dessert for Christmas last year with frozen berries and hot white chocolate sauce on top (delicious, btw). However I am having some problems with my blood sugar and my family want me to make it again – I don’t want to miss out. Can this be warmed?

80. Gray says:

Where do you all find raw cashews?? I’ve never been able to find them except online and I’m a bit skeptical of having them shipped and then they turn out to be rancid or something awful. (everything I see in the stores is roasted with cottonseed oil and my little one can’t have cottonseed)

81. Anonymous says:

Wow! I’m so excited to try this! (my house has an abundance of almonds so that what i’m using-hope it works)Thanks so much for all your amazing recipes!

82. TeaJae says:

no coconut you have no idea how happy you just made me. Everything has coconut oil, milk or whatever and there are many folks who can’t have it like me. YIPPEEEE :)

83. suzie blair says:

Katie, I know this is an older post, but would you mind answering a question for me. I would like to use your cashew cream recipe instead of the coconut milk from cans. It seems so many recipes call for canned coconut milk and while I like coconut, I don’t want everything to taste like coconut. I am thinking of cakes, panna cottas, brulees, would your cream work in these recipes?

Thank-you for your time,

84. suzie blair says:

Katie, could I use your cashew cream in place of canned coconut mile in recipes such as panna cotta, brulees and cakes?

I hope this is not a repeat question. Thank-you

85. Naomi says:

One of the easiest yet one of the most important substitute staples in a vegan diet. Life changer!

86. karlita says:

I am a bit confused on the instructions…Drain completely, then combine the drained cashews with the water and blend…(is this the same water I just drained?) if so why do you drain it before blending it? I want to try this but don’t want to mess it up.

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

The first water is not an amount listed in the recipe. Drain it off, then add the water listed in the recipe.

87. Aleksandra says:

Hi Kate,
    thank you for this wonderful recipe!!
    I have a problem, my cashew cream is too sweet, so what can I do? Have no more cashews left and it is sunday so I can´t buy some today… :/
    Greetings form Germany

88. Maria G. says:

The first picture is so beautiful! Did you manage to pour the cream while taking the pic, or did you have a friend to help you?

1. Trying to remember… I think I used a tripod and the delay settings :)

89. Shashika says:

Looks delish! I haven’t tried the sweet version yet, but I will next time:)

I add some nutritional yeast and garlic to my savoury cream ..

90. Dearbhla says:

Hi Katie, I was just wondering what is the reason why you can’t leave the cashews soaking for over 8 hours? Just curious! Thanks!

91. iris says:

Should I use salted cashews? I only found the salted ones at the supermarket I went to…