Breakfast Quinoa Bowls

Stuck in a breakfast rut? Bored of eating the same bowl of oatmeal every single day? Breakfast quinoa might just be the perfect solution!

Breakfast Quinoa

pin-it

Make it even more delicious by adding chocolate chips and letting them slowly melt into the hot quinoa porridge…

Seriously, when do chocolate chips not make a recipe better???

You could also add raisins, shredded coconut, chopped apple, mashed banana, cinnamon, fresh strawberries, almond butter, or chopped walnuts. Heck, you could even add all of these ingredients all at the same time! Breakfast Quinoa!! Made this recipe this week from @choccoveredkt...SOOO YUMMY!!! http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2013/09/30/breakfast-quinoa/

Or go the savory route and chop up some veggies–diced carrots, peas, and/or broccoli might be really nice.

Add some nutritional yeast, and maybe some black beans or chickpeas, and you have a breakfast quinoa bowl that could easily be dinner instead.

quinoa

Breakfast Quinoa

The sky is not the limit with this healthy quinoa recipe!

pin-it

• 1/8 tsp pure stevia extract, or 1/4 cup sweetener of choice
  • 2/3 cup raisins or chocolate chips, optional
  • 1 tsp cinnamon, optional
Total Time: 1h
Yield: 4 servings

Instructions

Rinse quinoa well in a fine mesh strainer. Drain. Combine the raw quinoa with the salt and water, and bring to a boil uncovered. When it starts to boil, cover and cook on low for 20 minutes or until the water is absorbed and quinoa is light and fluffy. Uncover, add the milk of choice and optional raisins and cinnamon (if using), and bring back to a boil. Turn heat to low-medium. Cook for 25-30 minutes, stirring very occasionally, until the breakfast quinoa texture is thick like oatmeal. (Some stoves are not as powerful – in these cases, simply heat at a higher power or for a longer amount of time.) Turn off the heat, and stir in the vanilla and sweetener of choice. Makes 4 servings. NOTE: When found in nature, quinoa has a natural coating of bitter-tasting saponins. These occur naturally in the quinoa to prevent insects from eating the plant. Most packaged quinoa will be pre-washed; however it is always a good idea to wash it again, just in case.

View Breakfast Quinoa Nutrition Facts

Question of the Day: Would you ever try breakfast quinoa?

Or have you already tried breakfast quinoa? Oftentimes we don’t think outside of the box of oatmeal when it comes to breakfast, but quinoa, barley, wheatberries, cornmeal, rice, spelt, or even kamut flakes can make a great breakfast porridge base as well.

Link Of The Day:

homemade protein bars

Peanut Butter Homemade Protein Bars

Tags: , , , , , ,

1. Maggie says:

I LOVE quinoa for breakfast! I’ve made this version before that cooks in orange juice with spices like anise and cardamon, but I’ve never thought to cook it in almond milk. I’ll try that for sure.

2. Sheena says:

Hi! This recipe looks great! I will have to try it!

On another subject, I love to bake but I do not know the science behind it. For example, I don’t know how things react with one another, when to use baking powder/soda, and things like that. I always modify recipes but I would like to be able to create my own sometimes too. So question is, how did you learn these things? Is there a book you studied? If so, please recommend one!

Thanks!

1. It’s just been years and years of trial and error… I started out (many years ago) by following others’ recipes. After awhile, I started to get a sense of how much baking soda or baking powder, sugar, and other ingredients are needed in relation to a specific amount of flour.

As for learning about when/why to use certain ingredients (like leaveners), that also comes with time, as you read cookbooks and tips and tricks… it definitely doesn’t happen overnight. I guess my best advice would be to follow other recipes, read the tips’ section of cookbooks or google any baking questions you might have. Eventually you’ll learn. And I’m still learning as well. There are definitely things I still need practice on :).

1. Sheena says:

Thank you!!

3. Jacki says:

If you make this without the raisins, but with the chocolate chips, do you add them at the end with the vanilla and sweetener? It seems like they would melt if you added them at the time the raisins are added. Thanks, and I can’t wait to try this for breakfast.

1. Yes, sorry for the confusion. Add them at the end :).

4. Robert Badgett says:

1/4 c. red quinoa (a little more chewy than white)
    1/4 c. steel-cut oats
    1/4 c. oat bran
    1 heaping T. ground flax
    1 T. chia seeds
    1 ripe banana
    a little salt
    1 t. cinnamon (or 2)
    2 c. water (add some later if too thick)
    Put all above in saucepan. Bring to boil.
    Turn down heat to simmer about 30 minutes. Stir often.
    Serves 1 hungry or 2 not so hungry.

5. Susan says:

I would definitely try quinoa for breakfast. I like being able to have a little variety in my wintertime hot breakfast choices. I much prefer something like this to eggs. Thank you for this post. I’m looking forward to trying this recipe.

6. satm says:

Thanks for this recipe. Can you tell me if the calorie count includes the raisins, as they are listed as optional. It isn’t noted on the nutritional facts. Thank you.

1. Just the basic recipe, not raisins.

7. This looks delicious, but it would definitely be a weekend breakfast as I don’t have time to make something like this on weekdays!

8. Sharmila says:

That sounds delicious, but then I saw 50 min for breakfast? And then I didn’t even include preparing time. I don’t have time for that in the morning.. is there any way to make it in less time?

1. You can do the first part the day before.

2. Kelly says:

Try it in the slow cooker on low.
      About 1 cup of quinoa to 3 or so cups of liquid.
      Add the chocolate chips & cinnamon in the morning. The cinnamon will all float to the top of the slow cooker if put in for the night.

1. Beth says:

I tried in the slow cooker with all the liquid in it and it was just a soupy mess?

9. Sara says:

Wow, I’m totally making this once I drag myself out of bed. My only question: if not all of it gets eaten can it be refrigerated for tomorrow and reheated in the microwave?

10. I love anything hearty for breakfast, so yes, quinoa is definitely something I’d eat (I DO eat!) for breakfast. Protein rich & I like the texture with milk.

11. stephanie says:

FYI: Cooked quinoa freezes great. I use an equal mix of quinoa, amaranth & millet. Quinoa alone, is a bit too strong flavored for me as a porridge. I love the above mix though. I make a big batch on the weekends, then freeze it in single serve cups. I can then add flavorings (berries, nuts, honey, etc) as I need it or set up a bunch of different one in freezer. I love to take it to work & heat it up for a minute or so.

12. lenia says:

Great way to start your day!Yummy and healthy!
    Happy to have discovered your delicious blog:)
    Drop by my blog if you want to get a taste of greek cuisine!
    Kisses from Greece,dear Katie!

13. Rupi says:

Anyone know how many cups one serving turns out to be?!?! Thanks!!! =D

14. Rupi says:

Anyone know how many comes a serving turns out to be?! Thanks! =D

1. becauseHeloves! says:

1/4 cup is one serving, so a fourth of the recipe.

15. This sounds awesome! I really want to try this out soon.

xx
    youngmildandfree.com

16. J says:

less than 200 calories? howdoes this even begin to fill someone up our be sufficieint for a meal…

1. Nessa says:

First it doesn’t say on the post that you MUST eat just that as the entire meal. Second if you add chocolate chips or raisins it will be more caloric. Finally yes there really are many people who need smaller breakfasts and don’t require as many calories. Not everyone is a young teen or an exerciser or someone who needs a lot of calories. Especially as you age your metabolism slows down and you require fewer calories. But if you need more you can add some peanut butter or eat something on the side.

17. Lisa says:

I’ve had quinoa flakes for Breakfast but for some reason not actual quinoa. I don’t see why not now, it looks pretty delicious.

18. I’m loving the chocolate chips on it — makes it even more delicious 🙂

19. Angela says:

Hey Katie~ I love your blog, and I’ve found it to be as important to maintaining a happy, vegan lifestyle, as Isa’s blog— Just thought you might like to know that quinoa is actually a seed and not a grain! This is why it is referred to as a full protein, and why it is even more magical! This was news to me when I first heard too, but wanted to pass the info along. In answering your question, yes! I will definitely be trying breakfast quinoa! Looks like it might remind me of pastina from my youth~

20. Noora says:

I’ve only tried quinoa with tuna and chicken. But maybe I’ll try this as breakfast soon! 🙂 My problem is that sometimes I’m too lazy/tired in the morning to make proper breakfast and eat whatnot… Do you think quinoa would work in overnight version? I love overnight oats 🙂

1. Yes, make the first part the night before. Or you could just do the whole thing the day before. Leftovers work very well.