Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Breakfast Quinoa Bowls

Stuck in a breakfast rut? Bored of eating the same bowl of oatmeal every single day? Breakfast quinoa might just be the perfect solution!

Breakfast Quinoa!! Made this recipe this week from @choccoveredkt...SOOO YUMMY!!!

Make it even more delicious by adding chocolate chips and letting them slowly melt into the hot quinoa porridge…

Seriously, when do chocolate chips not make a recipe better??? You could also add raisins, shredded coconut, chopped apple, mashed banana, cinnamon, fresh strawberries, almond butter, or chopped walnuts. Heck, you could even add all of these ingredients all at the same time!

Or go the savory route and chop up some veggies–diced carrots, peas, and/or broccoli might be really nice. Add some nutritional yeast and you have a breakfast quinoa bowl that could easily be dinner instead.

Breakfast Quinoa

Breakfast Quinoa

The sky is not the limit with this healthy quinoa recipe!

Breakfast Quinoa Bowls

Print This Recipe 5/5

• 1 cup raw quinoa
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 1/2 cups water
  • 4 cups milk of choice
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/8 tsp pure stevia extract, or 1/4 cup sweetener of choice
  • 2/3 cup raisins or chocolate chips, optional
  • 1 tsp cinnamon, optional
Total Time: 1h
Yield: 4 servings

Rinse quinoa well in a fine mesh strainer. Drain. Combine the raw quinoa with the salt and water, and bring to a boil uncovered. When it starts to boil, cover and cook on low for 20 minutes or until the water is absorbed and quinoa is light and fluffy. Uncover, add the milk of choice and optional raisins and cinnamon (if using), and bring back to a boil. Turn heat to low-medium. Cook for 25-30 minutes, stirring very occasionally, until the breakfast quinoa texture is thick like oatmeal. (Some stoves are not as powerful – in these cases, simply heat at a higher power or for a longer amount of time.) Turn off the heat, and stir in the vanilla and sweetener of choice. Makes 4 servings. NOTE: When found in nature, quinoa has a natural coating of bitter-tasting saponins. These occur naturally in the quinoa to prevent insects from eating the plant. Most packaged quinoa will be pre-washed; however it is always a good idea to wash it again, just in case.

View Breakfast Quinoa Nutrition Facts

Question of the Day: Would you ever try breakfast quinoa?

Or have you already tried breakfast quinoa? Oftentimes we don’t think outside of the box of oatmeal when it comes to breakfast, but quinoa, barley, wheatberries, cornmeal, rice, spelt, or even kamut flakes can make a great breakfast porridge base as well.

Link Of The Day:

homemade protein bars

Homemade Protein Bars

[adthrive_ad id='ChocolateCoveredKatie_Below_Post_600x250_300x250' center='1']
Tags: , , , , , ,

1. Lisa says:

I’ve had quinoa flakes for Breakfast but for some reason not actual quinoa. I don’t see why not now, it looks pretty delicious.

2. Maggie says:

I LOVE quinoa for breakfast! I’ve made this version before that cooks in orange juice with spices like anise and cardamon, but I’ve never thought to cook it in almond milk. I’ll try that for sure.

3. Sheena says:

Hi! This recipe looks great! I will have to try it!

On another subject, I love to bake but I do not know the science behind it. For example, I don’t know how things react with one another, when to use baking powder/soda, and things like that. I always modify recipes but I would like to be able to create my own sometimes too. So question is, how did you learn these things? Is there a book you studied? If so, please recommend one!

1. It’s just been years and years of trial and error… I started out (many years ago) by following others’ recipes. After awhile, I started to get a sense of how much baking soda or baking powder, sugar, and other ingredients are needed in relation to a specific amount of flour.

As for learning about when/why to use certain ingredients (like leaveners), that also comes with time, as you read cookbooks and tips and tricks… it definitely doesn’t happen overnight. I guess my best advice would be to follow other recipes, read the tips’ section of cookbooks or google any baking questions you might have. Eventually you’ll learn. And I’m still learning as well. There are definitely things I still need practice on :).

1. Sheena says:

Thank you!!

4. Jacki says:

If you make this without the raisins, but with the chocolate chips, do you add them at the end with the vanilla and sweetener? It seems like they would melt if you added them at the time the raisins are added. Thanks, and I can’t wait to try this for breakfast.

1. Yes, sorry for the confusion. Add them at the end :).

5. Robert Badgett says:

1/4 c. red quinoa (a little more chewy than white)
    1/4 c. steel-cut oats
    1/4 c. oat bran
    1 heaping T. ground flax
    1 T. chia seeds
    1 ripe banana
    a little salt
    1 t. cinnamon (or 2)
    2 c. water (add some later if too thick)
    Put all above in saucepan. Bring to boil.
    Turn down heat to simmer about 30 minutes. Stir often.
    Serves 1 hungry or 2 not so hungry.

6. Susan says:

I would definitely try quinoa for breakfast. I like being able to have a little variety in my wintertime hot breakfast choices. I much prefer something like this to eggs. Thank you for this post. I’m looking forward to trying this recipe.

7. satm says:

Thanks for this recipe. Can you tell me if the calorie count includes the raisins, as they are listed as optional. It isn’t noted on the nutritional facts. Thank you.

1. Just the basic recipe, not raisins.

8. This looks delicious, but it would definitely be a weekend breakfast as I don’t have time to make something like this on weekdays!

9. Sharmila says:

That sounds delicious, but then I saw 50 min for breakfast? And then I didn’t even include preparing time. I don’t have time for that in the morning.. is there any way to make it in less time?

1. You can do the first part the day before.

2. Kelly says:

Try it in the slow cooker on low.
      About 1 cup of quinoa to 3 or so cups of liquid.
      Add the chocolate chips & cinnamon in the morning. The cinnamon will all float to the top of the slow cooker if put in for the night.

1. Beth says:

I tried in the slow cooker with all the liquid in it and it was just a soupy mess?

10. Sara says:

Wow, I’m totally making this once I drag myself out of bed. My only question: if not all of it gets eaten can it be refrigerated for tomorrow and reheated in the microwave?

11. I love anything hearty for breakfast, so yes, quinoa is definitely something I’d eat (I DO eat!) for breakfast. Protein rich & I like the texture with milk.

12. stephanie says:

FYI: Cooked quinoa freezes great. I use an equal mix of quinoa, amaranth & millet. Quinoa alone, is a bit too strong flavored for me as a porridge. I love the above mix though. I make a big batch on the weekends, then freeze it in single serve cups. I can then add flavorings (berries, nuts, honey, etc) as I need it or set up a bunch of different one in freezer. I love to take it to work & heat it up for a minute or so.

13. lenia says:

Great way to start your day!Yummy and healthy!
    Happy to have discovered your delicious blog:)
    Drop by my blog if you want to get a taste of greek cuisine!
    Kisses from Greece,dear Katie!

14. Rupi says:

Anyone know how many cups one serving turns out to be?!?! Thanks!!! =D

15. Rupi says:

Anyone know how many comes a serving turns out to be?! Thanks! =D

1. becauseHeloves! says:

1/4 cup is one serving, so a fourth of the recipe.

16. This sounds awesome! I really want to try this out soon.

17. J says:

less than 200 calories? howdoes this even begin to fill someone up our be sufficieint for a meal…

1. Nessa says:

First it doesn’t say on the post that you MUST eat just that as the entire meal. Second if you add chocolate chips or raisins it will be more caloric. Finally yes there really are many people who need smaller breakfasts and don’t require as many calories. Not everyone is a young teen or an exerciser or someone who needs a lot of calories. Especially as you age your metabolism slows down and you require fewer calories. But if you need more you can add some peanut butter or eat something on the side.

18. Your quinoa is so beautiful! I’ve made breakfast quinoa before and while it was tasty, pretty, it was not! Haha

I’m not afraid to try most foods, but my parents were very skeptical when I told them about this recipe. To each their own. 😉

19. I’m loving the chocolate chips on it — makes it even more delicious :)

20. Angela says:

Hey Katie~ I love your blog, and I’ve found it to be as important to maintaining a happy, vegan lifestyle, as Isa’s blog— Just thought you might like to know that quinoa is actually a seed and not a grain! This is why it is referred to as a full protein, and why it is even more magical! This was news to me when I first heard too, but wanted to pass the info along. In answering your question, yes! I will definitely be trying breakfast quinoa! Looks like it might remind me of pastina from my youth~

21. Noora says:

I’ve only tried quinoa with tuna and chicken. But maybe I’ll try this as breakfast soon! :) My problem is that sometimes I’m too lazy/tired in the morning to make proper breakfast and eat whatnot… Do you think quinoa would work in overnight version? I love overnight oats :)

1. Yes, make the first part the night before. Or you could just do the whole thing the day before. Leftovers work very well.

22. your quinoa looks so fluffy and delicious! I bet it would be great with coconut milk. There’s a place here in Chicago called the Protein Bar and they serve quinoa bowls for breakfast; I think they’re great!

23. Loella says:

Katie, I’m looking for advice here. We’re potentionally doing a dessert-assignement in school, and I thought it could be fun to at least try suggesting baking something ‘healthy’, playing around with unconcentional ingredients etc. Could you recommend any of your recipes for it? With cheap ingredient that are easy to get, and might trick people into thinking it’s just a normal dessert.

1. Hmmm… in terms of easy, you probably can’t get easier than the fudge babies or German Chocolate babies. Add some mini chocolate chips if you wish.

24. Sarah says:

Green Eggs Cafe in Philadelphia has a pretty good vegan quinoa porridge that my bf loves. He isn’t vegan and he gets the non-vegan version but he loves how much of a healthier version it is than french toast, pancakes, eggs, etc. I like the vegan version (since I am vegan) so this is a spot that we can agree on. I keep telling him I can make it at home but he won’t let me try! Maybe now I can convince him if I have a recipe to show him… 😉

25. Hello, Katie. I just made another batch of your Vitamuffins. I tweaked some of the ingredients, but still they are good. I also made your Oreos. I will post it here next time. thanks for the good recipes you share.

26. Vicki @ WITK says:

Quinoa for breakfast is actually on my list of things to make this week! This looks good with the chocolate chips :)

27. emily says:

oh, definitely going to try this, will make a change from oatmeal

28. karen says:

Great idea adding the chocolate chips. I eat quinoa for breakfast often. I keep leftover quinoa in the refrigerator. In the morning, I add berries, flax seeds, and almond milk. Microvave it for a couple minutes (longer if the fruit is frozen). Yumm!

29. Melissa Lawrence says:

My husband and I eat quinoa for breakfast served with some oatmeal, heated almond milk, real maple syrup, berries, and nuts/seeds. It’s amazing! I like the idea of the chocolate chips, but I need to find good tasting non-dairy ones :) Thank you for the recipe, Katie!!

1. B says:

Try Enjoy Life! chocolate chips. They’re dairy free, gluten free, nut free, soy free… and taste great! They recently are producing dark chocolate morsels, too, in addition to their semi-sweet mini chocolate chips and semi-sweet mega chunks.

2. nicole says:

costco’s kirkland brand chocolate chips are vegan! and GOOD.

30. Janel says:

Yay! I have everything to make this for my breakfast tomorrow! :)

31. Tina says:

Can you re-heat that easily? I’m just by myself and if that makes 4 portions I could eat that for 4 days. :) Or I’ll just split the ingredients in half, but since it takes so long to make, I would probably make more and re-heat it in the morning.

It really looks yummy, kind of like “Milchreis” what we make a lot in Germany and I would love to try this!

32. Rachel says:

Did you actually mean to put “1/4 cup of sweetener?” That seems like quite a lot.

1. Hi Rachel,
      It makes four servings so it’s really not more than a tbsp per serving if you wish to use sugar.

33. Randi says:

I love making breakfast quinoa, but when I boil it in water/milk, it just climbs the sides of the pan like crazy and boils over quick, even when my fire is extremely low. Am I doing something wrong?

1. B says:

Have you ever tried the wooden spoon trick? Apparently, you can prevent boiling over if you simply balance a wooden spoon across the top of the pot. You can look this trick up on YouTube to see what I’m talking about.

34. Shannon says:

We have quinoa for breakfast all the time but usually with fruit! I’ll have to try it like this. Like I’m gonna turn down chocolate.

35. betsyI says:

I made this and added some pumpkin puree at the end and it turned out amazing. I don’t know why I never thought to make breakfast quinoa – thanks for the idea!

36. Synthia says:

Hey hun!!! I made your pumpkin brownies (with some substitutions) today. They were so awesome!!!
    thanks for always having the best recipes :)

37. Caitlin says:

Has anyone tried to do overnight quinoa like overnight oats? Anything to make mornings easier…

38. Renee says:

My mouth is watering just looking at this! Another awesome addition to the chocolate chips- sprinkle some coconut flakes. You got yourself dessert for breakfast :)

39. Kaylee says:

Hi there!

I just found your site and I’m in love! I am not a vegan but have been wanting to for about the past year, but I have the hardest time with vegetables. I was raised in a household where finishing the meat on my dish was more important than finishing the veggies on my plate and I now suffer from thinking all veggies are gross.
    I’m slowly adding new stuff, but that is not what I’m commenting about!

I was looking around this site hoping to find a light treat and was surprised that some kind of popcorn treat was no where to be found. Do you not like popcorn? Is some kind of popcorn treat something you would be willing to offer? I used to drizzle chocolate on my fresh popcorn (my parents called me weird), and I would just love to see your take on a vegan, light and fluffy, popcorn treat!

40. Kellie says:

I love Quinoa and it seems much easier for me to digest. I love oatmeal but it doesn’t seem to like me! Now that fall is here I am going to try some of your yummy pumpkin recipes. I don’t really like sweets, I am a savory girl and will be trying some of your veggie recipes too! Oh and thanks for the tip on the Moophree burgers. I am always on the hunt for a great veggie burger!

41. Lauren says:

I haven’t had breakfast food for breakfast in soooo long. If I ever start eating grains/quinoa and chocolate again I’d love to try this!

42. lauren says:

Ok this might be the recipe that makes me rethink Quinoa for breakfast. I have tried it once but without chocolate and it reminded me too much of a savory lunch kind of meal. Chocolate might be the answer!

43. Monica says:

I’ve been intrigued by the idea of breakfast quinoa instead of oatmeal and your bowl with the chocolate chips looks amazing for breakfast…or dessert! I love my steel cut oats but I’d be happy to try this.

44. Rosene says:

Try to cook it with milk instead of water, it will taste even better. I loveeee quiona.

45. Tammela says:

I haven’t tried quinoa for breakfast, but I do have a recipe for a great mixed-grain hot cereal that could easily include quinoa:

46. Rose says:

Katie, why so much salt? Seem excessive to have 31% of your daily allowance at breakfast. I’m not trying to be difficult, but is there a specific reason you chose to add so much?

1. Hi Rose,
      I’m not a nutritionist, so please take my comment with a grain of salt (bad pun, sorry)… I think that if you’re healthy and are not eating a lot of processed foods and are taking in a good amount of potassium, then the salt isn’t normally a problem and is actually beneficial in some ways because it keeps your sodium/potassium balance in check. But this is only what I’ve found from my personal experience so please do what works for you.

1. Rose says:

Katie, thanks for your reply. I didn’t know if the extra salt was needed to cook/process the grain or something. I’ll give this a try in the near future sans-salt, I’m sure it will be great with the chocolate chips!

P.S. I’m now the proud owner of a crockpot thanks to your blog and always looking for more ways to use it :)

47. Terri says:

Does this reheat well? I’m the only person in my house that would eat it and that’s a lot for one person

48. Dave says:

Never tried it for breakfast and a bit hesitant to. But I guess its good to try new things instead of doing the same old same old.

49. Katie says:

I thought this was very good, however next time I will cook this with less water and less salt, and less milk and less sweetener :)

50. Steph says:

I look back fondly on those times that you would post every day… (Not a demand, just a statement.)

51. I haven’t tried quinoa for breakfast, but I’m down for anything with chocolate. 😉

52. Jessica says:

Yes, I mixed some leftover quinoa with protein powder for breakfast. I have a recipe too for quinoa pancakes I want to try.

53. Steph says:

Hello there! Thanks so much for all of the great recipes! I have a question about the Breakfast Quinoa. When I enter what I used into my nutrition counter the number is way different than yours. My calories for 1/4 of the recipe comes to 310 calories, where yours comes to 177. I did use 1/4 cup of Splenda brown sugar mix instead of the stevia but that only account for an extra 48 calories per serving. Can you please tell me what brand of quinoa you are using and what type of milk? thanks so much! I appreciate it!!! (I do love the taste of this! It is now in my breakfast rotation!!)

1. Holly says:

Katie usually uses Almond Milk, which is about 30 calories per cup.

54. Kelly says:

We sometimes have tropical quinoa for breakfast.
    Just add pineapple and shredded coconut along with your cinnamon and vanilla flavorings.

1. Jaime says:

Ooh, tropical quinoa sounds divine! I’ll be making it tomorrow! :)

55. Bryony says:

I LOVE quinoa porridge! It’s particularly good with a little pumpkin puree and some toasted pecans!

56. Tiffany says:

Couscous works too!

57. Jonny says:

I’ve never tried quinoa before. But I am getting a little bored with oatmeal. The chocolate chips is a nice touch to it and it just might entice me to try it. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

58. I often switch up my kids’ regular oatmeal with quinoa..they love it! A few months ago I came up with this casserole made with oatmeal AND quinoa!

59. Nathaly says:

Good morning, I’ve just finish making this recipe but I’ve yet to add the sweetener to it…. since I made it with vanilla almond milk I thought that I might be able to omit it…. To my surprise I found it VERY salty…. and I hate salt …. what did I do wrong?

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

If you hate salt to begin with, why are you not cutting back on the salt? Most people don’t hate salt to begin with, so it wouldn’t be too salty, but if you are a salt hater you can easily cut back or omit altogether for the next time.

60. Lauren says:

My favorite breakfast quinoa is warm and nutty quinoa from 101 Cookbooks. It is so warm and filling. Quinoa is a perfect start to the day!

61. Carolyn says:

I made quinoa for my family’s Saturday breakfast today. The kids didn’t love it (but they ate it, especially the chocolate chips), but my husband and I thought it was great!

62. kelly says:

Your quinoa looks so white in the picture- I used regular white quinoa but it is not white like yours. Is raw quinoa different?
    PS- I am not vegan, but I just love your recipes and your blog! You seem like such a sweet, fun person!

1. Aw thanks :).
      Hmmm… it might be the lighting and that some highlights are overexposed. It’s not super white in real life… maybe an off-white color.

1. kelly says:

ok, thanks for your reply :) (Maybe I didn’t rinse it enough because I don’t have a fine mesh strainer!) Thanks again!

63. TRACK2HEALTH says:

This looks amazing! I’m the same as others, I often have quinoa flakes or puffed quinoa for breakfast, but have never tried real quinoa. Definitely going to now!

Thank you for always being an inspiration and a motivation!

64. Mayon says:

Do you think this would be possible to cook it like oatmeal in the microwave for a quick breakfast or am I leaving in a dream ?

65. j. says:

This looks great! I had pumpkin spice quinoa for breakfast several mornings last week tasty! Made it with almond milk and topped it with chopped pecans and a drizzle of maple syrup. Definitely got my pumpkin fix for this fall.

66. Heather says:

We made this as written and ended up with quinoa milk soup. Is it really 4 cups of milk? After adding the milk and cooking for over 30 minutes, the quinoa was very soft, but it wasn’t getting thick. Is it supposed to simmer the whole cooking time? Ours only began to simmer after it had already been cooking for 20 minutes or so.

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

If your stove’s “simmer” is too low, you might have to use the “low” for twenty minutes as opposed to the simmer. If it still doesn’t get thick after the allotted time, just take the lid off and bring to a boil then let it cook until it’s thicker. Or put in the fridge uncovered overnight and it will thicken by morning.

67. Dara says:

I recently re-discovered quinoa (like you, I also used to think I hated quinoa) and tried a Martha Stewart recipe for quinoa, milk, and blueberries. It turned out pretty well. I am used to the sweetness of added sugar from instant oatmeal packets, so it will take some getting used to the more plain flavor of quinoa without processed sugar added to it, but it is healthy, and so it’s worth it. I did have some difficulty cooking with the milk for that recipe. It seems quite easy to burn the milk, resulting in strips of burnt milk skin in the quinoa. Not good! I’m still working on how to avoid this. Quinoa is so healthy and versatile, I love the idea of using it for breakfast.

68. Thalia says:

I am not a vegetarian or a vegan, but I have recently put on quite a bit of weight and I intend to loose it again. Stuck in a rut on what to eat for breakfast tomorrow I typed “healthy pancakes” into Google. From that moment I have not moved from scrolling through your countless recipes excited to make them! That was at 8pm and it is now 12am. Oops.
    Although I may have to find substitutes for particular ingredients in your recipes (I live in Australia so they’re not all available) I cannot weight to begin my weight loss journey, and it is thanks to you that I am motivated and believe that I can achieve my goals!
    P.S. I will be buying quinoa tomorrow for future breakfasts. This looks amazing!

69. KK says:

I’ve tried other breakfast quinoa recipes … I didn’t hate them, but I didn’t love them, either. This one I love! The second step of adding some type of milk and cooking it for another 30 minutes made all the difference in the world. I added raisins, but didn’t add any vanilla, sweetener or cinnamon because I prefer unsweetened cereals. Also, I made just 1/4 of the recipe and it turned out just fine….I cooked it with water for just 15 minutes. I cooked it for 30 with milk, but next time would probably do only 25 minutes. Thanks for a great recipe! It will be a regular for me.

1. Thank you so much for trying it!

70. Mindy keith says:

Made this this morning! Yummy! Reminds me of rice pudding, but much healthier and I got my protein kickstart:) lover some quinoa! Thanks Katie!

71. Debbie Cleary says:

When I figured out the points of 1 serving of the breakfast quinoa, using raisins and NO sweetener, it was 8 points per serving
    1 cup uncooked quinoa – 16PP
    4 cups skim milk – 8PP
    3/4 cups raisins – 9PP
    divided by 4 is 8 points each. Without the raisins its 6 points each. you list it as 4 points per serving. how did you get that?

1. Helper says:

She doesn’t add optional ingredients in the count (since they are, we’ll, optional) and I think CCK uses unsweetened almond milk in her calculations since that is what she personally uses.

72. Mike says:

This is a good recipe but way too much milk. A quart leaves you with breakfast soup.2- 2.5 cups works better

1. cck says:

Hi Mike,
      As it says in the post, some stoves aren’t as powerful as others… all you should do in that case is cook on low (or even medium) instead of simmer :).

73. Kyle says:

An hour to make breakfast?

74. Erica says:

I’ve been wanting to try a quinoa breakfast and I’m glad I tried your version! I scaled it to 1 serving (1/4 cup quinoa) and let it simmer while I cleaned the kitchen. I think since I scalled it down it didn’t need as long to simmer so it was done in 30 min-just enough time to get some morning chores done! I added blueberries and 1/2 banana – Yum!!

75. Aaron says:

Just found your site. I am eating healthier and trying to lower my cholesterol but miss baking so much! I was so glad to find your website. Now I can keep my love for baking and eat healthy. This is the first recipe that I made from your website and it was SO good. It took about an hour but now I have it for the next four days! It tasted like dessert for breakfast and it is good for me!!! Can’t beat that! Also, my first time having quinoa for breakfast. I am sold!!! Definitely going to make again! Thank you!

76. Patty says:

Made this for breakfast this morning, using unsweetened coconut milk. I included the cinnamon, but left out the raisins and chocolate chips. I used a little Stevia in the Raw, although I’d probably just rely on fruit or raisins for sweetness next time.

However, I would leave the salt out next time or just add a little at the end if needed – this batch is too salty for my taste.

Four servings turned out to be a little over a cup each. I put the recipe into My Fitness Pal and it was 220 calories per serving.

77. Myrna Gonzalez Childress says:

I’m curious. Why does this recipe require so much water? I usually cook my quinoa in 1.5 cups of water. I was wondering if it was a type-o.

78. Carys Griffith says:

Hi, this recipe looks amazing and i was just wondering what the measurements would be for one? Thanks!
    Love your recipes, has your basic chocolate oatmeal today, it was lovely. :)

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Just divide everything in half.

1. Carys says:

i feel silly for asking now – should of been able to figure that out! Oh well, thank you!!

79. ChrissyD. says:

This is such a great recipe! In the mood for some hot cereal and this recipe will hit the spot.
    Do you have any recipes with seaweed?
    You are so amazing Katie! Absolutley love u! Thanx for all the fun recipes and great info!

80. Nonie says:

A bit late to the party, here. Anyway I had this wonderful cold breakfast pudding at a cafe in Sydney Australia with rice and quinoa (one was black…maybe the rice?) and various seeds and nuts. It was finished with a blob of yogurt, fresh strawberries. I loved it and can NOT find a recipe of any sort to try and make this for myself. I’m dying to get something similar. Any help for me?

81. Yvette says:

Tried this this morning and it’s been cooking for an hour and it’s still soup. I made it exactly as it’s stated and exact liquid amounts. If I had used half the milk amount it would be perfect. Doesn’t look like your picture at all. Sorry usually your recipes are no fail but this one is a major fail!!

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

It specifically says in the recipe that if yours is still liquid, you just need to cook longer. Or you can put it in the fridge and it will magically thicken overnight. Please report back with results when you do this.

82. Rudi says:

last night i cooked my quinoa (i regretted not using almond milk rather than water) and after it was done, I swirled in honey, cinnamon, and a few Trader Joe’s semi-sweet chocolate morsels. The next morning, i added some greek yogurt, craisins, pecans, pumpkin seeds, and fresh raspberries. It was a delicious breakfast.

83. bob says:

“Some ovens are not as powerful – in these cases, simply heat at a higher power or for a longer amount of time.” Do you mean some stoves are not as powerful?

84. Charlotte says:

I just made this for dinner! I know it’s “breakfast quinoa”, but I was craving something sweet and I didn’t want to wait until morning. I added cardamom, nutmeg and coconut butter and it was really incredible. I think I might just like it more than oatmeal!

85. SuziCat says:

Katie – darling – I love you, and I’m sure your recipe is delicious, but – WHOOOO is going to spend 30 minutes cooking breakfast?!? I’d LOVE to see this recipe revamped using a crockpot – you know, one of those tiny ones – so it would be a more realistic breakfast option. And how well does it reheat when you’re only cooking for one?

86. Rhian says:

I made this recipe this morning with left over quinoa, I made it as suggested but cut the raisins and stirred in some peanut butter and vanilla yogurt just before serving. I was really impressed how creamy and fluffy the quinoa turned out, just like oatmeal consistency. I was a bit concerned it wouldn’t work after reading a couple of comments but it was perfect!

87. Brandie says:

Could you make this in a rice cooker? If so, how would you change the directions?

88. Linda W says:

Has anyone tried to make “overnight quinoa.” Like overnight oatmeal. Sure would reduce the hands-on time.

89. Julie says:

Yup, I’d eat quinoa porridge for breakfast ! I’ve already reheated leftover quinoa with milk & raisins and called that breakfast. But wow, chocolate chips…have to try that! Yum.

90. alainore stallard says:

Yes, will definitely be trying quinoa for breakfast! I’m thinking this would also be a great evening snack, maybe stir some peanut butter into the quinoa and sprinkle chocolate chips on top.

91. laura says:

Have you ever made quinoa in a rice cooker. I just got a new rice cooker and it works great for steele cut oats, now im wondering about quinoa.

92. Olivia says: