Get two new free healthy recipes each week. Sign Up

Breakfast Quinoa Bowls

Stuck in a breakfast rut? Bored of eating the same bowl of oatmeal every single day? Breakfast quinoa might just be the perfect solution!

Breakfast Quinoa

pin-it

Make it even more delicious by adding chocolate chips and letting them slowly melt into the hot quinoa porridge…

Seriously, when do chocolate chips not make a recipe better???

You could also add raisins, shredded coconut, chopped apple, mashed banana, cinnamon, fresh strawberries, almond butter, or chopped walnuts. Heck, you could even add all of these ingredients all at the same time! Breakfast Quinoa!! Made this recipe this week from @choccoveredkt...SOOO YUMMY!!! https://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2013/09/30/breakfast-quinoa/

Or go the savory route and chop up some veggies–diced carrots, peas, and/or broccoli might be really nice.

Add some nutritional yeast, and maybe some black beans or chickpeas, and you have a breakfast quinoa bowl that could easily be dinner instead.

quinoa

Breakfast Quinoa

The sky is not the limit with this healthy quinoa recipe!

pin-it

• 4 cups milk of choice
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/8 tsp pure stevia extract, or 1/4 cup sweetener of choice
  • 2/3 cup raisins or chocolate chips, optional
  • 1 tsp cinnamon, optional

Instructions

Rinse quinoa well in a fine mesh strainer. Drain. Combine the raw quinoa with the salt and water, and bring to a boil uncovered. When it starts to boil, cover and cook on low for 20 minutes or until the water is absorbed and quinoa is light and fluffy. Uncover, add the milk of choice and optional raisins and cinnamon (if using), and bring back to a boil. Turn heat to low-medium. Cook for 25-30 minutes, stirring very occasionally, until the breakfast quinoa texture is thick like oatmeal. (Some stoves are not as powerful – in these cases, simply heat at a higher power or for a longer amount of time.) Turn off the heat, and stir in the vanilla and sweetener of choice. Makes 4 servings. NOTE: When found in nature, quinoa has a natural coating of bitter-tasting saponins. These occur naturally in the quinoa to prevent insects from eating the plant. Most packaged quinoa will be pre-washed; however it is always a good idea to wash it again, just in case.

View Breakfast Quinoa Nutrition Facts

Question of the Day: Would you ever try breakfast quinoa?

Or have you already tried breakfast quinoa? Oftentimes we don’t think outside of the box of oatmeal when it comes to breakfast, but quinoa, barley, wheatberries, cornmeal, rice, spelt, or even kamut flakes can make a great breakfast porridge base as well.

Link Of The Day:

Get Free Recipes

Don’t Miss Out On The NEW Free Healthy Recipes

Chocolate Covered Katie The Healthy Dessert Blog Recipes

Popular Right Now

Reader Interactions

131 Comments

Leave a comment or reviewLeave a rating
  1. Alex @ Cookie Dough Katzen says

Your quinoa is so beautiful! I’ve made breakfast quinoa before and while it was tasty, pretty, it was not! Haha

I’m not afraid to try most foods, but my parents were very skeptical when I told them about this recipe. To each their own. 😉

2. Randi says

I love making breakfast quinoa, but when I boil it in water/milk, it just climbs the sides of the pan like crazy and boils over quick, even when my fire is extremely low. Am I doing something wrong?

• B says

Have you ever tried the wooden spoon trick? Apparently, you can prevent boiling over if you simply balance a wooden spoon across the top of the pot. You can look this trick up on YouTube to see what I’m talking about.

3. Shannon says

We have quinoa for breakfast all the time but usually with fruit! I’ll have to try it like this. Like I’m gonna turn down chocolate.

4. betsyI says

I made this and added some pumpkin puree at the end and it turned out amazing. I don’t know why I never thought to make breakfast quinoa – thanks for the idea!

5. Kaylee says

Hi there!

I just found your site and I’m in love! I am not a vegan but have been wanting to for about the past year, but I have the hardest time with vegetables. I was raised in a household where finishing the meat on my dish was more important than finishing the veggies on my plate and I now suffer from thinking all veggies are gross.
    I’m slowly adding new stuff, but that is not what I’m commenting about!

I was looking around this site hoping to find a light treat and was surprised that some kind of popcorn treat was no where to be found. Do you not like popcorn? Is some kind of popcorn treat something you would be willing to offer? I used to drizzle chocolate on my fresh popcorn (my parents called me weird), and I would just love to see your take on a vegan, light and fluffy, popcorn treat!

6. Kellie says

I love Quinoa and it seems much easier for me to digest. I love oatmeal but it doesn’t seem to like me! Now that fall is here I am going to try some of your yummy pumpkin recipes. I don’t really like sweets, I am a savory girl and will be trying some of your veggie recipes too! Oh and thanks for the tip on the Moophree burgers. I am always on the hunt for a great veggie burger!

7. Lauren says

I haven’t had breakfast food for breakfast in soooo long. If I ever start eating grains/quinoa and chocolate again I’d love to try this!

8. lauren says

Ok this might be the recipe that makes me rethink Quinoa for breakfast. I have tried it once but without chocolate and it reminded me too much of a savory lunch kind of meal. Chocolate might be the answer!

9. Tina says

Can you re-heat that easily? I’m just by myself and if that makes 4 portions I could eat that for 4 days. 🙂 Or I’ll just split the ingredients in half, but since it takes so long to make, I would probably make more and re-heat it in the morning.

It really looks yummy, kind of like “Milchreis” what we make a lot in Germany and I would love to try this!

10. Renee says

My mouth is watering just looking at this! Another awesome addition to the chocolate chips- sprinkle some coconut flakes. You got yourself dessert for breakfast 🙂

11. Monica says

I’ve been intrigued by the idea of breakfast quinoa instead of oatmeal and your bowl with the chocolate chips looks amazing for breakfast…or dessert! I love my steel cut oats but I’d be happy to try this.

12. Rose says

Katie, why so much salt? Seem excessive to have 31% of your daily allowance at breakfast. I’m not trying to be difficult, but is there a specific reason you chose to add so much?

• Chocolate Covered Katie says

Hi Rose,
      I’m not a nutritionist, so please take my comment with a grain of salt (bad pun, sorry)… I think that if you’re healthy and are not eating a lot of processed foods and are taking in a good amount of potassium, then the salt isn’t normally a problem and is actually beneficial in some ways because it keeps your sodium/potassium balance in check. But this is only what I’ve found from my personal experience so please do what works for you.

• Rose says

Katie, thanks for your reply. I didn’t know if the extra salt was needed to cook/process the grain or something. I’ll give this a try in the near future sans-salt, I’m sure it will be great with the chocolate chips!

P.S. I’m now the proud owner of a crockpot thanks to your blog and always looking for more ways to use it 🙂

13. Katie says

I thought this was very good, however next time I will cook this with less water and less salt, and less milk and less sweetener 🙂

14. Dave says

Never tried it for breakfast and a bit hesitant to. But I guess its good to try new things instead of doing the same old same old.

15. Steph says

Hello there! Thanks so much for all of the great recipes! I have a question about the Breakfast Quinoa. When I enter what I used into my nutrition counter the number is way different than yours. My calories for 1/4 of the recipe comes to 310 calories, where yours comes to 177. I did use 1/4 cup of Splenda brown sugar mix instead of the stevia but that only account for an extra 48 calories per serving. Can you please tell me what brand of quinoa you are using and what type of milk? thanks so much! I appreciate it!!! (I do love the taste of this! It is now in my breakfast rotation!!)

16. Kelly says

We sometimes have tropical quinoa for breakfast.
    Just add pineapple and shredded coconut along with your cinnamon and vanilla flavorings.

17. Jonny says

I’ve never tried quinoa before. But I am getting a little bored with oatmeal. The chocolate chips is a nice touch to it and it just might entice me to try it. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

18. Nathaly says

Good morning, I’ve just finish making this recipe but I’ve yet to add the sweetener to it…. since I made it with vanilla almond milk I thought that I might be able to omit it…. To my surprise I found it VERY salty…. and I hate salt …. what did I do wrong?

• Unofficial CCK Helper says

If you hate salt to begin with, why are you not cutting back on the salt? Most people don’t hate salt to begin with, so it wouldn’t be too salty, but if you are a salt hater you can easily cut back or omit altogether for the next time.