How to make overnight oats, for a super healthy and filling breakfast you can take on-the-go!
Breakfast Overnight Oats
1 recipe + 15 flavors = endless healthy breakfast possibilities
Be sure to bookmark this post, so you can try a new flavor every day of the week!
All of the prep work is done the night before, giving you an instant healthy breakfast the next morning whenever you’re ready. With fifteen different flavors to choose, breakfast will never be boring again!
You May Also Like: How To Cook Spaghetti Squash (The Better Way)
Overnight Oats In A Jar
Any small container works here. I bought these adorable Le Parfait Overnight Jars specifically for this recipe – and now I’m obsessed and use the jars all the time for everything! To make the recipe, simply add 1/2 cup oats and a pinch of salt to a mason jar or tupperware container. Stir in everything else, put the lid on the jar and shake well, then refrigerate overnight. The next day, just stir and enjoy.
Do You Eat Them Hot Or Cold?
They are delicious either way! Just make sure to prepare the oats in a heat-safe container if you plan to microwave or warm them in the oven the next morning. You could also transfer the prepared oats to a small saucepan and heat them up that way. If using yogurt, it’s best to not cook them; and especially in the warmer months, I like to eat them cold.
Are They Good For Meal Prep?
Stored covered in an airtight container in the fridge, the overnight oatmeal will last about five days, so it’s great to meal prep in advance for the week. You can also portion out extra servings of the dry ingredients into ziploc bags for your own homemade instant oatmeal packets like Quaker. The original version has 6 Weight Watchers SmartPoints. Overnight oats are the perfect healthy solution if you’re one of those people who like to have breakfast as soon as they get up in the morning.
Can You Make Overnight Steel Cut Oats?
You can! The results will have a chewy texture that some might even prefer to a version made with quick or rolled oats. They’re less chewy if you make them more than a day in advance.
Can You Make Vegan Overnight Oats?
Yes, they make a great vegan breakfast. Feel free to try out different plant-based milks in the recipe – almond milk, coconut milk, ricemilk, cashewmilk, soy milk, or even oat milk – to find your favorites. Technically, you could use water instead of milk, but the results will be much less creamy. Most regular grocery stores will sell at least one brand of nondairy yogurt, and some even have vegan Greek yogurt. Or you can skip the yogurt and just add more milk in its place. The recipe is suitable for many gluten free diets as well and is super versatile!
Overnight Oatmeal Flavors
- Peanut Butter Overnight Oats: Add 2 tbsp peanut butter to the recipe. Throw in a handful of mini chocolate chips if desired.
- Chocolate Chip Cookie: Use vanilla yogurt or add 1/8 tsp pure vanilla extract. Stir in 3-4 tsp chocolate chips, optional crushed walnuts, and a dash of cinnamon.
- Nutella: Use your favorite brand of chocolate hazelnut spread or my recipe for Healthy Nutella as the nut butter. Add 1 tbsp regular and 1/2 tbsp dutch or additional regular cocoa powder. Top with toasted hazelnuts if you want.
- Blueberry Overnight Oats: Use fresh or frozen blueberries as the fruit. You can also use blueberry yogurt if you wish.
- Monkey Oats: Substitute mashed banana for the yogurt. Add 1-2 tbsp peanut butter and a handful of mini chocolate chips.
- Banana Bread: Add 1/4 tsp cinnamon and 1-2 tbsp crushed walnuts or pecans with the dry ingredients. Use sliced banana as your fruit of choice.
- Cinnamon Apple: Add 1/4 tsp cinnamon or apple pie spice. Use diced apple as your fruit of choice, and add 1-2 tbsp raisins and some crushed walnuts if desired.
- Mint Chocolate Chip: Add 1/8 to 1/4 tsp pure peppermint extract, depending on desired strength. Stir in 2-4 tsp mini chocolate chips. If you wish, you can also add a little spirulina powder for color and added nutrition.
Of course there’s also a chocolate version – just use this recipe for Chocolate Overnight Oats.
- High Protein Overnight Oats: Stir 1 scoop of your favorite protein powder into the base recipe. Add extra milk if needed.
- Pumpkin Pie: Substitute canned pumpkin for the yogurt. Add 1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon and a few drops of pure vanilla extract.
- Carrot Cake: Add 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 2-3 tbsp shredded carrot, and optional 1 tbsp almond or coconut butter. You can also stir in a handful of raisins, shredded coconut, or chopped walnuts.
- Piña Colada: Use coconut yogurt and coconut milk. Add a few drops pure vanilla extract, and use diced pineapple as your fruit of choice (or skip the pineapple for plain coconut oatmeal).
- Creamy Coffee: Add 1 tsp instant coffee to the recipe. For an even creamier result, substitute nondairy creamer for half the milk of choice. You can also add 1/8 tsp pure vanilla extract if desired.
- Strawberry Shortcake: Use strawberry yogurt, and replace the milk of choice with either canned coconut milk or nondairy creamer. Use strawberries as your fruit of choice, and stir in some strawberry jam at the end if desired. The same idea can be applied to raspberries, blackberries, peaches, or cherries.
Also be sure to try these Breakfast Oatmeal Cupcakes To-Go
How To Make Overnight Oats
- 1/2 cup rolled oats or quick oats
- 1/2 cup milk of choice
- 1/2 cup yogurt or additional milk of choice
- sweetener of choice, as desired
- 1/8 tsp salt
- optional 1/2 cup fruit of choice
- optional 1-2 tbsp nut butter
- optional 1 tbsp chia seeds, or add-ins of choice
- *This recipe is easily vegan if you choose nondairy yogurt and milk. Options include almond, cashew, soy, rice, oat, or coconut.Combine all ingredients in a lidded container or mason jar. Shake well, then refrigerate overnight. The next morning, simply stir and enjoy! If you make the recipe, don’t forget to rate it at the bottom of the post or leave a review. And if you come up with any other flavors, please do share!View Nutrition Facts
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @chocolatecoveredkatie on Instagram
More Healthy Breakfast Recipes
Healthy Banana Bread – OIL FREE Option