Get two new free healthy recipes each week. Sign Up

Single Serving Mocha Chocolate Cake

cake for one

The rich chocolate mug cake displayed before your very eyes can be made in under 5 minutes.

And it serves just one person.

Unless you’re crazy and decide to share…

single serving cake

You’re not crazy, are you?

Yeah, me neither. 😉

When I heard today was National Coffee Break Day, my first thought was to write a post highlighting all of my previously-published coffee recipes. But then I decided posting a new recipe would be much more fun… especially if said new recipe involved coffee and chocolate! (Chocolate is always more fun.)

So I came up with something I’d been meaning to try for a while: a mocha version of the popular One-Minute Chocolate Cake:

cake for one

One Minute Mocha Mug Cake

Topped with Homemade 4 Ingredient Ice Cream.

• 1 tablespoon plus 2 tsp cocoa powder
  • 3 tbsp spelt, white, or Arrowhead Mills gf flour
  • 1/2 tsp instant coffee granules, decaf if desired
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 2 tsp granulated sugar or xylitol
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • pinch uncut stevia OR 1 additional tbsp sugar
  • 1 tbsp coconut or veg oil (Edit: many commenters have said it still tastes good if you sub applesauce or mashed banana. I can’t personally vouch for the results if you make that substitution.)
  • 3 tbsp milk of choice
  • 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract

Combine dry ingredients and mix very, very well. Add liquid, stir, then transfer to a little dish, ramekin, or even a coffee mug. If using a microwave, cook 45-50 seconds (or more, depending on how powerful your microwave is). If using an oven: cook at 350F for about 14 minutes. If you don’t want to eat it straight out of the dish, be sure to spray your dish first (and then wait for the cake to cool before trying to remove it).

See the original version for: Mug Cake Calories and Nutrition Facts.

coffee

In honor of today, serve with Copycat Healthy Starbucks Frappuccinos.

What are your favorite sources of caffeine?

Coffee? Tea? Chocolate? If you don’t already know mine, you must have forgotten what blog you are on!

5/5 (3)

Published on January 19, 2012

Meet Katie

featured on The
Today Show, CNN,
Fox, The
Huffington Post, and

Learn more about Katie

Get Free Recipes

Don’t Miss Out On The NEW Free Healthy Recipes

Chocolate Covered Katie The Healthy Dessert Blog Recipes

Popular Right Now

Reader Interactions

282 Comments

Leave a comment or reviewLeave a rating
  1. Kerry says

I’ve been wanting to try the original version of this cake since you first posted it, but now that you’ve added coffee to the recipe, I can’t wait any longer! I must have it now!

2. Moni'sMeals says

how did you know…chocolate and coffee are one of my fav combos! This looks simple and just great. Works for me!
    Thanks Katie.

3. Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga says

Oh the cake looks great and love that it’s a one-serving for those times when you don’t want to make a whole cake.

I forgot about the Starbucks Frap recipe. That would be a perfect source of caffeine right about now.

4. Marci says

This looks great although I will be right behind Rachael making the no-coffee version.
    Can you please provide time and temp for a conventional oven?
    Thanks!!

5. Nicole says

This looks so good and I love all of your recipes. I have a question that I’ve been dying to ask you for a while now. I cannot stand the taste of Stevia and unfortunately most of your recipes call for it. What do you suggest as a substitute? Just plain sugar? Or is there another sweetener that would be better? Thanks!
    xo Nicole

6. Albizia says

Caffeine, caffeine… Definitely not for me. But I am addicted to the smell of coffee so I bought a jar of decaf instant coffee and I put it in almost everything sweet I eat. Milk, oatmeal, cookies, cakes, even yogurt – they are all familiar with my coffee obsession. Sometimes I even sacrifice myself for an overpriced cup of coffee and then can’t sleep for a night or two 🙂 . So now I know what I am going to bake tomorrow.

7. Amber says

Share… I NEVER share. Lies.. so many lies;)
    I climb out of bed and go directly to grind my own home-roasted ‘Birds & Beans’ coffee… one cup on the couch and I’m ready to start my day;) But any other time of the day Chocolate is my drug of choice.
    Another Brilliant single serving cake. Yummy!

8. Mary-Claire says

Hi Katie, this recipe sounds great! Question: I tried your regular chocolate cake recipe this weekend and used coconut oil, but after microwaving 1 minute the coconut oil just rose to the top of the ramekin and the cake never really hardened. I microwaved it longer, but still the same problem…any idea what I may have done wrong? Thanks! It still tasted amazing! 🙂

9. Amber K says

My body does not operate well on caffeine. Definitely NO coffee for me, even if I did like the taste of it. Chocolate only in moderation. Delicious and worth it.

10. natalie @ southern fit foodie says

Mmmm that looks great! My caffeine comes from chocolate and then every now and then a cup of coffee.

11. Alexa says

What and for how long should you cook for if you don’t have a microwave?
    I’m pretty old school with just an oven 😛

12. Luminous Vegans says

Simply amazing! I like the one serving idea and oh my…your coffee blows starbucks’ coffee outta the water (is that a saying?). Well, you know what I mean, yours looks way better, cheaper, healthier and its vegan!

13. Katie @ Nutrition in a peanut shell says

Looks delicious as always Katie! I love decaf flavored coffee with stevia. Like a little dessert 🙂