Healthy Shamrock Shakes!

What’s your favorite milkshake flavor?

Mine’s always been mint chocolate chip… although the last time I drank a real milkshake, it was chocolate. To be honest, the vibrant green color enthralls me more than anything else. (Have you seen the Shamrock Shakes from McDonalds or the mint chocolate chip milkshakes from Baskin Robbins?) It goes back to when I was three years old and loved anything blue. Since our local Baskin Robbins didn’t make blue ice cream at the time, mint chocolate chip was the next best choice.

Yesterday afternoon, feeling nostalgic, I decided to recreate the milkshakes of my childhood… well, if those shakes had been healthy Shamrock Shakes or mint chocolate chip milkshakes.

healthy shamrock shake

A small McDonalds Shamrock Shake will set you back 530 calories and 73 grams of sugar! And it’s filled with chemical ingredients, additives, and potentially-dangerous food dyes. Do your health a favor and make your own healthy Shamrock Shakes at home. It takes under five minutes to make, uses natural ingredients to get that bright-green hue, and has NO refined sugar whatsoever.

This healthy Shamrock Shake recipe is also well under 500 calories!

mint shake

Healthy Shamrock Shakes

• 1 frozen large banana, as ripe as possible
  • cacao nibs or chocolate chips
  • 1/8 tsp to 1/4 tsp pure peppermint extract (I like 1/4 tsp)
  • 2/3 cup to 1 cup milk of choice (For a super-rich shake, try full-fat canned coconut milk.)
  • optional: 1/4 cup frozen spinach (If you can’t get on board with the greens-in-smoothies thing, you can opt for green food coloring or just drink a white mint shake. Or add a pinch of spirulina!)

Blend in a blender until smooth.

As one of my most popular recipes, this milkshake was one of the only blog recipes to make it into the bestselling Chocolate-Covered Katie Cookbook.

All recipes in the book–including this recipe–come with full nutrition facts.

A small McDonalds shake will set you back 530 calories and 73 grams of sugar! Do your health a favor and make your own delicious and healthy Shamrock Shakes at home. Instructions here:  http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2011/02/24/raw-mint-chocolate-chip-milkshake/

Why not try adding my favorite Chocolate Thin Mint Brownie Bites?!

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

1. Albizia says:

Although I hate mint, I must admit the color is pretty :) .

I’ve tried only the basics – strawberry and chocolate. I haven’t even tried vanilla (shame on me!). But if there was banana and coffee milkshake available, I would drink it pretty often.

2. Oooh, yummy! Love the color!!
    I make smoothies with mint extract and spinach too! Only I add chocolate protein powder for a Thin Mint Girl Scout Cookie shake!!

1. Sarah C. says:

I’m gonna try that!

3. Wow this looks amazing Katie!! Love the idea of a mint chocolate chip smoothie. Yum!

4. Just in time for Shamrock Shake season!

1. Exactly! I felt pressured to get all my Valentine recipes up before the actual day, so I’m starting early this time! :)

5. Girl this sounds exactly like my chocolate milkshake recipe, but with mint extract added! Yummy idea, I can’t wait to add peppermint next time!:)

6. Stefanie says:

That sounds so good and refreshing. :-)

7. Anita Ruiz says:

Funny you should post this I was just complaining how I miss my mint n chip milk shakes from Baskin Robbins. Its been about two years since and I am really excited to try this new recipe. Thank you for bringing a smile to a woman who misses her ice cream store experiences.

1. Aww, your sweet comment made ME smile. :)

8. eatandrun says:

Mint chocolate chip was always my favorite too!

9. Ooooh man…milkshakes…I haven’t had one since I became a vegan! Thats a looong time to go without milkshakes! I am BUYING some peppermint extract tomoroow and making this bad boy!! 😀

Genius. Someday you’re gonna get tired of hearing that, but it’s true :)

10. This sounds delicous and so good for you! :)

11. Sarah C. says:

Photos look GORGEOUS! I want a mint milkshake now, and I don’t even like mint! LOL!

12. Erika says:

You read my mind! I was just thinking about St. Patricks Day and wondering if I could find a good replacement for those McDonalds shamrock shakes. Thanks Katie!!!

13. Gen says:

yum!! mint choc chip is one of my favorite flavors, too!!! =D

14. Alyssa says:

THAT is my favorite flavor for a milkshake! I am obsessed with mint chocolate chip – and it has to be green :)

1. I agree lol. Once, my mom bought Dryers (or Breyers, I forget), and the mint cc is not green. Greedy child that I was, I wouldn’t eat it!

15. oh my wow. like WOW that looks so dreamy.. I, myself am a HUGE fan of mint- i had my first mint jocolat bar last week and the love story began…
    and i TOTALLY go for the xantham gum add in too… thick + creamy > thin + runny
    (gotta love my math skills, ey!?)

okay im thinking.. a cookie dough shake.. BUT i have zero clue on how that would work…..

1. Hmmm… maybe leave out the peppermint and spinach, and add cookie dough fudge babies!

16. Sarahishealthy says:

And you’ve done it again. Genius! It’s beautiful, and now I know what I’m having for snack today :).

17. Looks great even though I hate milkshakes :p

18. Leslie says:

I have so many of your recipes bookmarked, miss Katie. And now you go and throw in another one! Can you please write a cookbook already, so I can have them all in one place? 😉

Oh, and my favorite milkshake is vegan chocolate!

19. Melissa says:

The frozen banana as ice cream stand in is my favorite thing to do!
    I like to make pumpkin pie versions with banana, a bit of almond milk (since the pumpkin puree adds liquid!), pumpkin, pie spices and vanilla. Mmmmmmmm.

20. VeggieGirl says:

My favorite milkshake flavor = cookies & cream or chocolate

1. abby says:

mmmm cookies n cream. plus 1 to this! and oreos are vegan, so i’m all set! but actually, i’m thinking a trader joe’s mint oreo shake would be da bomb!

1. VeggieGirl says:

LOVE that idea, Abby! Trader Joe Joe’s are a fabulous Oreo variety :)

1. Gah! Why must y’all tease me? No Trader Joe’s over here :(. TJ’s: come to Texas!!!