Banana Bread Baked Oatmeal

Yesterday morning, I spied a very brown banana hanging out on the kitchen counter. My first thought was:

Score! I can make… Banana Pancakes for One.

But then I got an even better idea.

banana baked oatmeal

banana bread oatmeal

Banana Bread Baked Oatmeal

Adapted from: Cookie Dough Baked Oatmeal

• 1/2 cup rolled oats (50 g)
  • a litle over 1/16th tsp salt
  • a little over 2 tbsp mashed, very-ripe banana (40 g)
  • 3 tbsp milk of choice or water (45 g)
  • 1 tbsp virgin coconut oil or coconut butter (Or you can sub 1 tbsp more liquid or extra banana, for a lower-fat version. But the coconut oil makes this recipe so buttery!)
  • pinch stevia OR 1 tbsp sugar (Taste the batter to decide if you want more)
  • Optional: walnuts, cinnamon, vanilla extract, peanut butter, or whatever else you put in banana bread (Chocolate chips?)

Preheat oven to 380 degrees. Combine dry ingredients, then mix in wet. Pour into a small baking pan, loaf pan, or 1-cup ramekin (or, for mini boats, two 1/2-cup ramekins). Cook for 15-20 minutes, or more until it’s firm. (Cooking time varies, depending on whether you use oil or not.) Finally, set your oven to “high broil” for 5 more minutes (or simply just bake longer, but broiling gives it a nice crust). Don’t forget to spray your ramekins or mini-loaf pan first if you want your cakes to pop out.

View Baked Oatmeal Nutrition Facts

I spy something else brown…

DSC_0350

And white. A whole lotta white. See all that hair on the side of his bed? That’s the reason poor Henry is not allowed on the couch. Henry wants to know, “Where’s my banana boatmeal?”

Question of the Day:
Do your pets ever eat “people” food?

Henry adores bananas. He’d probably like the Melted Banana Trick!

We used to feed them table scraps, until Molly had to go on a diet. But they’re still fed raw veggies every now and then. (Carrots are a favorite.) My dogs don’t just eat people food, they think they are people!

Tags: , , , , , ,

1. My dog is on diet food, so he can’t have people food! hah But, he does think he is a person!!! The banana bread boatmeal looks great!!

2. Bethany says:

Yes my cat thinks she’s a person and when it’s dinner time someone has to feed her, her food or you will have a little fur ball in your face begging for some of yours. I recently found out she loves peanut butter and tofu. Kind of upsetting when you go to take a bite and realize your cat has nicked a lick or a piece.
    Your dog is so cute! I love dogs, but I’m so much more of a cat person.

3. Freya says:

yep, that’s a breakfast for me right there 🙂
    My horse adores bread, and my cat ate my stepdad’s chicken curry once…!

1. lol I think my pups would eat ANYthing!

4. Stefanie says:

I finally made boatmeal this weekend. It was really good. I choose the pumpkin pie version and topped it with more pumpkin and a little coconut milk. The banana version looks really good too.

My cat likes lettuce, bread, and turky. We joke that we should just make her a sandwich. I prefer not to feed my cats people food but the rest of the family does not agree.

1. I especially have to watch when my grandma comes to visit… she feeds the dogs pretzels!

5. Emily says:

This looks amazing and so easy, I definitely need to try it for breakfast one day 🙂

6. I Love banana bread! This sounds like a breakfast I would make OFTEN 🙂 My dog loves table food which is so bad, but my hubby likes to feed her under the table…silly silly

1. Ugh guys! My dogs sit under the table at my dad’s feet, because they know they have the best chance of getting something from him!

7. Harry and Daxter get to eat people noms all the time. But it’s not always bad for them – they love apples, carrots, celery, and spinach! I’m afraid their faves will always be when we’re eating pizza though… they always know that they’ve got some crusts coming their way. 🙂

8. Jennifer JCD says:

Oooh, yummy! We love your baked oatmeal recipes.

Haha, our cats think they are people too. Duke used to be a stray and he’s very clever at stealing people food. Last night he stole mango skins from the sink (and I had to chase him around the hosue to get it back) and the night before he stole tortilla crisps right out of my husband’s hand (he was holding them for himself, not feeding the cat). Ah yes, the joys of furry family members. They always keep us entertained, right?

1. Yes! Last night, Henry came running in with an empty box in his mouth. Then he proceeded to run around the table while we tried to get it from him!

9. Megan says:

I have been reading your blog for awhile now, but I found this post amusing because my dog LOVES carrots! She doesn’t get much “people food”, but carrots are a must for her!

1. LOL I hate raw carrots… don’t know what dogs see in them! 😉

10. sarah says:

my cat loves green olives more than anything, but i’ve also caught him eating peanut butter off of the lid and he once ripped through a bag to get at a french baguette

11. Damjana says:

Our dog eats nothing but people food. Leftovers. Our cats the same, never cat’s food. It’s funny that our cats eat lettuce (if it’s coated with oil, the better), sour turnip, gherkins, to name a few not so cat-like foods ;). Well our dog eats dog biscuits but only because I call them so – it happened that I made a batch of rock-hard biscuits and I didn’t risk to break my teeth, so he’s lucky to have something hard to bite. So it’s a reward for him to get a “dog biscuit”.
    Weird that once I noticed that cats don’t drink store-bought milk. Too many chemicals inside I’d guess.

12. Tine says:

I really have to try your baked oatmeals one day!
    They look delish!

13. We don’t feed our cats table food and since Luke has tummy trouble so I’m afraid he would have problems with it. The oatcake looks delicious!

14. I CAN READ YOUR MIND. I had this yesterday for my Special Monday Breakfast!! Well, not EXACTLY, but I combined this with your Cookie Dough version, and it was AMAZING!! You are SUCH a genius Katie! 😀

My dog literally eats ANYTHING. He loves salad actually! And I am stealing Henry he is SO cute!! 😉

1. Aww we were twins again! But mine didn’t have chocolate. Major #fail on my part!

15. Melissa says:

My rats get “people food” a lot. Fruits, veg, cooked grains, organic baby food, treats meant for babies (Happy Baby Puffs, Munching Blocks) etc. I feel more comfortable giving them foods intended for human infants as their treats rather than filler and junk filled “pet treats”. They do get some dog biscuits, though. Cloud Star makes very clean little biscuits that are just nice, whole food ingredients. They also like the sweet potato rawhides that are just dehydrated sweet potatoes, flax and vitamin E.

They eat a grain mix that’s a mix of cereals with some pasta. This month it’s Kashi 7 grain puffs and flakes and some organic quinoa pasta. They get a vegan staple critter kibble, too, but they are healthier with fresh food included. I usually have a bit of banana left after I measure mine out for my morning oats – so they get the ‘nanner as a brekkie treat. When I make pancakes there is always a tiny bit of batter left so I make each one of them a tiny rat sized pancake! They are so cute and about quarter sized. The rats LOVE them and it’s adorable to see them all sitting around holding these pancakes as big as their heads. ;D

And Daniel’s been getting his meds in almond butter or coconut butter, lately, too.

My Mollycat LOVE non-dairy milk, nooch(!) and popcorn. Also tofurkey and other mock meats! Hah. I don’t give her the Tofurk, etc. any more, though, as they have garlic and onion and neither are good for cats. I’ve even seen her eat one of the ratties’ vegan kibbles off the floor multiple times. I used to foster cats for years and we had a lot of kids eating weird stuff. One foster chewed open a bag of bread, took a bite out of EVERY slice and then left it. Jerk.

1. I wonder if Molly and Henry would like coconut butter… I wonder if it’s good for dogs. Poor dogs, can’t have chocolate!

16. Jaime says:

My dog Wilbur adores carrots, apples and popcorn. I don’t give him popcorn very often btu apple and carrots are a pretty regular treat!

17. I don’t have any pets, but if I did I’d definitely spoil them with leftovers– i hate wasting food!

18. This looks delicious Katie — Averie has a great recipe too for something similar — I love easy recipes!

I don’t have pets, but my mother-in-law’s pets all eat people food from time to time. They love it!

19. Yum! I am definitely going to try this with almond butter or peanut butter in place of the coconut butter!

20. Debra says:

It looks amazing! My dog eats people food- especially salads!
    Blessings, Debra