Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Banana Bread Baked Oatmeal

Yesterday morning, I spied a very brown banana hanging out on the kitchen counter. My first thought was:

Score! I can make… Banana Pancakes for One.

But then I got an even better idea.

banana baked oatmeal

banana bread oatmeal

Banana Bread Baked Oatmeal

Adapted from: Cookie Dough Baked Oatmeal

• 1/2 cup rolled oats (50 g)
  • a litle over 1/16th tsp salt
  • a little over 2 tbsp mashed, very-ripe banana (40 g)
  • 3 tbsp milk of choice or water (45 g)
  • 1 tbsp virgin coconut oil or coconut butter (Or you can sub 1 tbsp more liquid or extra banana, for a lower-fat version. But the coconut oil makes this recipe so buttery!)
  • pinch stevia OR 1 tbsp sugar (Taste the batter to decide if you want more)
  • Optional: walnuts, cinnamon, vanilla extract, peanut butter, or whatever else you put in banana bread (Chocolate chips?)

Preheat oven to 380 degrees. Combine dry ingredients, then mix in wet. Pour into a small baking pan, loaf pan, or 1-cup ramekin (or, for mini boats, two 1/2-cup ramekins). Cook for 15-20 minutes, or more until it’s firm. (Cooking time varies, depending on whether you use oil or not.) Finally, set your oven to “high broil” for 5 more minutes (or simply just bake longer, but broiling gives it a nice crust). Don’t forget to spray your ramekins or mini-loaf pan first if you want your cakes to pop out.

View Baked Oatmeal Nutrition Facts

I spy something else brown…

DSC_0350

And white. A whole lotta white. See all that hair on the side of his bed? That’s the reason poor Henry is not allowed on the couch. Henry wants to know, “Where’s my banana boatmeal?”

Question of the Day:
Do your pets ever eat “people” food?

Henry adores bananas. He’d probably like the Melted Banana Trick!

We used to feed them table scraps, until Molly had to go on a diet. But they’re still fed raw veggies every now and then. (Carrots are a favorite.) My dogs don’t just eat people food, they think they are people!

1. My dog is on diet food, so he can’t have people food! hah But, he does think he is a person!!! The banana bread boatmeal looks great!!

2. Bethany says:

Yes my cat thinks she’s a person and when it’s dinner time someone has to feed her, her food or you will have a little fur ball in your face begging for some of yours. I recently found out she loves peanut butter and tofu. Kind of upsetting when you go to take a bite and realize your cat has nicked a lick or a piece.
    Your dog is so cute! I love dogs, but I’m so much more of a cat person.

3. Freya says:

yep, that’s a breakfast for me right there :)
    My horse adores bread, and my cat ate my stepdad’s chicken curry once…!

1. lol I think my pups would eat ANYthing!

4. Ilana says:

yummmm delicious looking breakfast!!!
    my kitty has a thing for cereal and milk. when she was a baby she clawed her way into a box of cornflakes and started to munch away, and last week I discovered she likes hemp milk. i also once had a cat who really enjoyed potato chips and popcorn.

1. Awwww I can just see your kitty sitting down at the table (with utensils in hand, naturally)!

5. Stefanie says:

I finally made boatmeal this weekend. It was really good. I choose the pumpkin pie version and topped it with more pumpkin and a little coconut milk. The banana version looks really good too.

My cat likes lettuce, bread, and turky. We joke that we should just make her a sandwich. I prefer not to feed my cats people food but the rest of the family does not agree.

1. I especially have to watch when my grandma comes to visit… she feeds the dogs pretzels!

6. Emily says:

This looks amazing and so easy, I definitely need to try it for breakfast one day :)

7. I Love banana bread! This sounds like a breakfast I would make OFTEN :) My dog loves table food which is so bad, but my hubby likes to feed her under the table…silly silly

1. Ugh guys! My dogs sit under the table at my dad’s feet, because they know they have the best chance of getting something from him!

8. Harry and Daxter get to eat people noms all the time. But it’s not always bad for them – they love apples, carrots, celery, and spinach! I’m afraid their faves will always be when we’re eating pizza though… they always know that they’ve got some crusts coming their way. :)

9. haha its AMAZING the things you come up with!

10. Jennifer JCD says:

Oooh, yummy! We love your baked oatmeal recipes.

Haha, our cats think they are people too. Duke used to be a stray and he’s very clever at stealing people food. Last night he stole mango skins from the sink (and I had to chase him around the hosue to get it back) and the night before he stole tortilla crisps right out of my husband’s hand (he was holding them for himself, not feeding the cat). Ah yes, the joys of furry family members. They always keep us entertained, right?

1. Yes! Last night, Henry came running in with an empty box in his mouth. Then he proceeded to run around the table while we tried to get it from him!

11. ps my dog LOVES bananas as well. and peanut butter haha. I should ask whether he’s team chunky or smooth 😉

12. Megan says:

I have been reading your blog for awhile now, but I found this post amusing because my dog LOVES carrots! She doesn’t get much “people food”, but carrots are a must for her!

1. LOL I hate raw carrots… don’t know what dogs see in them! 😉

13. sarah says:

my cat loves green olives more than anything, but i’ve also caught him eating peanut butter off of the lid and he once ripped through a bag to get at a french baguette

14. Damjana says:

Our dog eats nothing but people food. Leftovers. Our cats the same, never cat’s food. It’s funny that our cats eat lettuce (if it’s coated with oil, the better), sour turnip, gherkins, to name a few not so cat-like foods ;). Well our dog eats dog biscuits but only because I call them so – it happened that I made a batch of rock-hard biscuits and I didn’t risk to break my teeth, so he’s lucky to have something hard to bite. So it’s a reward for him to get a “dog biscuit”.
    Weird that once I noticed that cats don’t drink store-bought milk. Too many chemicals inside I’d guess.

15. Our cats dot care for people food at all, besides tuna fish. However, lately obe of our kitties gas been begging fir people food. He likes potato chips! LOL he only eats one bite to feel special, though.

16. Omggggg! Typos galore in that comment! iPad autofill is so embarrassing! Sorry.

1. I admire that you even TRY to write comments on an ipad! I get frustrated trying to type in a single website url! Touch screens and I don’t get along lol.

17. Tine says:

I really have to try your baked oatmeals one day!
    They look delish!

18. We don’t feed our cats table food and since Luke has tummy trouble so I’m afraid he would have problems with it. The oatcake looks delicious!

19. I CAN READ YOUR MIND. I had this yesterday for my Special Monday Breakfast!! Well, not EXACTLY, but I combined this with your Cookie Dough version, and it was AMAZING!! You are SUCH a genius Katie! 😀

My dog literally eats ANYTHING. He loves salad actually! And I am stealing Henry he is SO cute!! 😉

1. Aww we were twins again! But mine didn’t have chocolate. Major #fail on my part!

20. Melissa says:

My rats get “people food” a lot. Fruits, veg, cooked grains, organic baby food, treats meant for babies (Happy Baby Puffs, Munching Blocks) etc. I feel more comfortable giving them foods intended for human infants as their treats rather than filler and junk filled “pet treats”. They do get some dog biscuits, though. Cloud Star makes very clean little biscuits that are just nice, whole food ingredients. They also like the sweet potato rawhides that are just dehydrated sweet potatoes, flax and vitamin E.

They eat a grain mix that’s a mix of cereals with some pasta. This month it’s Kashi 7 grain puffs and flakes and some organic quinoa pasta. They get a vegan staple critter kibble, too, but they are healthier with fresh food included. I usually have a bit of banana left after I measure mine out for my morning oats – so they get the ‘nanner as a brekkie treat. When I make pancakes there is always a tiny bit of batter left so I make each one of them a tiny rat sized pancake! They are so cute and about quarter sized. The rats LOVE them and it’s adorable to see them all sitting around holding these pancakes as big as their heads. ;D

And Daniel’s been getting his meds in almond butter or coconut butter, lately, too.

My Mollycat LOVE non-dairy milk, nooch(!) and popcorn. Also tofurkey and other mock meats! Hah. I don’t give her the Tofurk, etc. any more, though, as they have garlic and onion and neither are good for cats. I’ve even seen her eat one of the ratties’ vegan kibbles off the floor multiple times. I used to foster cats for years and we had a lot of kids eating weird stuff. One foster chewed open a bag of bread, took a bite out of EVERY slice and then left it. Jerk.

1. I wonder if Molly and Henry would like coconut butter… I wonder if it’s good for dogs. Poor dogs, can’t have chocolate!

21. Jaime says:

My dog Wilbur adores carrots, apples and popcorn. I don’t give him popcorn very often btu apple and carrots are a pretty regular treat!

22. I don’t have any pets, but if I did I’d definitely spoil them with leftovers– i hate wasting food!

23. This looks delicious Katie — Averie has a great recipe too for something similar — I love easy recipes!

I don’t have pets, but my mother-in-law’s pets all eat people food from time to time. They love it!

24. Yum! I am definitely going to try this with almond butter or peanut butter in place of the coconut butter!

25. I know a guy who feeds his dog baby carrots…

(I think it’s a good thing I don’t have pets)

26. Debra says:

It looks amazing! My dog eats people food- especially salads!
    Blessings, Debra
    Raw Vegan Diet

27. Lisa says:

thats so funny that your dog likes bananas- the only thing, besiides watermelon, my dog will NOT eat is bananas! everytime i give her a slice, forgetting, and then she licks and spits it out. lol its too funny!

28. Still need to try this oatmeal bake. I know you said it’s just as filling as a creamy bowl of oats, but I don’t know Katie…however, you’ve never let me down in the past. I think I want to make your Irish soda bread version. Craving raisins these days.

1. LOL yes it’s surprisingly-filling… like an oatmeal brick? But much more appetizing than that sounds. I especially love the raisin one with 2T coconut butter added… but then again, is there anything that’s NOT better with coconut butter? :)

29. Suzanne says:

My dog loves apples and watermelon. My mom also cooks her fresh chicken and beef.

30. Astrid says:

the closest my cat ever gets to “real food” is tuna fish. She LOVES it!

31. Veronica says:

Loooove banana boatmeal! I followed a recipe that called for agave nectar as a sweetener and had toasted walnuts on top. It was so good! I would totally add chocolate chips–great idea! So I was wondering if you had any thoughts about what to feed dogs. Do yours eat normal dog food even though you’re vegan? I have a friend that went vegetarian and then found some veg dog food and decided to put her dog on that and it seems to be working for her. But I admit, turning a dog vegetarian or vegan concerns me since, unlike us, they are actually meant to eat meat only. That’s what wild dogs do, except for the occasional grass craving, apparently. LOL! Anyway, I know you’re not a vet, but I was just wondering if you’d ever thought about that.

1. Melissa says:

Dogs, unlike cats, aren’t obligate carnivores and do quite well on vegan diets. In fact, the kibble I feed my domestic rats (rodents) is a vegan dog kibble that is intended for dogs with allergies to all meat/animal protein. I guess allergic reactions to some/all animal proteins are somewhat common in dogs.

My cats eat grain-free, absolutely not vegan food (it’s just riskier with cats and they ARE obligate carnivores… I don’t like it but there you go) but my ratties are happy little vegans. Rats are scrappy omnivores like us so they do very well sans animal protein – I’ve actually had very few tumors partially due to their diet, I believe.

Animals like cats, ferrets, hedgehogs, snakes that are obligate carnivores/insectivores really do need meat based foods. Dogs, rats, etc. can do veg or vegan in a healthy way relatively easily.

2. Hey Veronica!
      My dogs actually aren’t even vegetarians, because my parents are the ones who buy their food and feed them. I have to admit that I haven’t done much research into veganism for dogs. But when I get out on my own and have a dog (and I most definitely will), I’ll look into it more.
      Melissa’s comment was great! I know some dogs that are vegans (blog-friends’ dogs), and are perfectly healthy. But cats… yeah, even vegans usually feed their cats meat. Humans have no canine teeth (which is further evidence that we started out as herbivores, not omnivores… but that’s a whole other debate lol). But cats and some other animals (snakes, etc) DO have canine teeth and are supposed to eat other animals. Dogs have canine teeth too, so I agree with you that they’re probably naturally supposed to eat meat. But I think they seem to be ok even if they don’t… then again, I really don’t know lol!

1. Veronica says:

Thank you and Melissa both for your answers! Mel, you made me feel better about my friend’s veg dog. :) Thanks for satisfying my curiosity Katie. I’m sure it goes with the celeb territory (you know you’re famous!), having everyone butt into your business. hehehe! I suspect that before the flood, we were herbivores and ate no meat because after the flood, God said we could eat animals and to me, I don’t think He would have said that if they were already eating meat. Just something I’ve thought about from time to time. I just wonder, if that is true, why he changed His mind? Perhaps eating flesh was symbollic of something–like our sinful nature. I have no idea! It’s something I’m interested in researching further in the future.

2. LOL I have absolutely no problemo with people butting into my life! …maybe because I like to butt into everyone else’s as well? 😉

32. Henry and I have got a lot in common.. brown hair and love for bananas… my kinda dog!!! YES my dog eats lots of human food- but lemme tell yea.. he sure aint a vegan.. my parents always give him all their meat.. BLECH.. one day ill have a vegan dog- WOO!

i LOVE SINGLE serve things.. so easy and convenient!!! have a LOVELY DAY! :)

1. Oh no, my dogs aren’t vegans either… I think they’d eat ME if I tasted good. Thank goodness, I guess I don’t, since they leave me alone! (Except Henry likes to lick me. Hmmm…)

33. Brandi says:

Yum! I must try that banana boatmeal it sounds delicious!

I love your dog he’s so cute! I tend to feed my dog people food, but only if it’s like crust of a pizza or if something drops on the floor(that dog’s can eat! of course). The crazy thing is when i’ll be making sweet potato fries a large chunk will fall on the flour and my youngest dog will actually eat it…raw sweet potato…I still wonder why she’ll eat it and not spit it out.

34. That looks so good! Banana oatmeal is my favorite! My dog eats carrots and apples!

35. Love brown, ripe bananas!! The riper, the better. :) This looks delish! And your dog is realllly cute. I want a puppy….

36. I just had baked banana oatmeal for my post workout treat this morning, although it didn’t have that lovely bar form – just scoops of mush in a to-go container. :)

My doggie eats carrots and dehyrated sweet potatoes. He’s allergic to anything grain, so veggies it is!

37. Thanks for posting my breakfast for tomorrow. :) Looks SO good and I have 1, very ripe banana in need of a home. In mah belly.

38. Hannah says:

I shoulda had this for breakfast today…I had banana oat though. There is always tomorrow right?

1. Haha or have another breakfast today. Breakfast at 9PM? Hmmmm… hey, why not? 😉

39. Your boatmeal recipes just look better and better. I have yet to try one, because I’m always so famished in the morning that I can’t stand to wait 20ish minutes for the damn thing to cook in the oven, but one of these days I’ll get around to cooking one…and it will be glorious :)

40. We feed my sister’s dog people food SO much, he is so spoiled!

41. Great job on the baked oatmeal and I think most dogs eat tons of people food! I think that between their begging and their owners who just can’t say no..most doggies have a full complement of human food. :) Good, bad, or otherwise…it’s life!

42. Yayy, I love recipes for single servings! This is great because I adore baked oatmeal, but don’t want to eat it for the rest of the week!

43. Happy would eat anything she could get her face on. But the people food she *does* actually eat (because we let her) are carrots… she LOVES THEM!!

44. I don’t have any pets, but when I was growing up our dog would eat ANY food that fell on the floor immediately. It was like having a live vacuum. Now that I think of it, that would be great with a toddler in the house who is constantly leaving a ton of crumbs under her chair. Hmmmm….maybe we need a dog?!

1. Hahaha my mom always thought we were such clean eaters until we moved to Japan and had to leave our dog with my grandma!

45. I always give my dog pizza crust or bites of bread. Oh, and he LOVES potato chips more than life. I can’t get him to eat carrots, but he does love apples.

46. After having made the boatmeal I definitely have to try these! Btw your doggie is adorable!

47. Gen says:

My cat looves peanuts! 😀
    That boatmeal looks yummy! Can’t wait to try it out!

48. Disturbed says:

Lol, you can just look at my dog and tell he eats plenty of human food 😛

49. I miss banana bread. Must make this!

My cat probably wouldn’t eat people food unless it was fish anyway, so she sticks to her cat food. My mom feeds my dog off of plates though which is kind of annoying to me. It’s not a big deal, but he’s gotten into the habit of begging because of it..oh well! As long as he’s not breathing on my food I guess it’s no big deal. 😛

50. Amanda says:

OMG your recipe looks delicious! Can’t wait to try it!! Also, my dog eats basically anything, but seems to put her life on the line for cheese pretty often. My cat is pickier unless it is tomato sauce, ice cream, or wine :]