Sign up for NEW free healthy recipes - Currently over 300,000 subscribers!

Low-Calorie Peanut Butter Ice Cream

Perhaps an employee at Whole Foods secretly spiked my most-recent jar of peanut butter.

How else can you explain why a chocoholic would crave nothing but peanut butter for the past three days?

low calorie peanut butter ice cream

Yesterday, to feed the ever-growing peanut butter beast inside of me, I created this fast and easy peanut butter ice cream. No ice-cream maker needed!

vegan peanut butter ice cream

Note: When I made this for myself, I used some of the options to make this ice cream higher-calorie. However, the basic recipe is very low in calories. So if you’re watching your weight, you can easily choose to keep it low-cal.

Never-ending PB Ice Cream

(gluten-free and sugar-free)

• 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • very scant 1/16 tsp salt (don’t omit)
  • sweetener (such as 1 tbsp sugar or agave, or stevia to taste)
  • 1 cup almond milk (I used unsweetened Silk. See below for substitution notes.)
  • 1-3 tbsp nut butter of choice (peanut butter, almond, cashew, etc.)
  • Optional: you can add banana, chocolate chips, etc.

Mix the ingredients in a plastic container. (Or you can use an ice cube tray.) Freeze. Once frozen, pop the block out of the container (I thaw for 30 seconds in the microwave first) and blend in your Vita-Mix. (If you don’t have a vita-mix, you’ll probably have to thaw longer, but you can still get a yummy ice milk.)

View Nutrition Information

Thanks to the fat in the peanut butter, this ice cream is a bit creamier than the vanilla version. However, if you want it even creamer, try using at least 1/4 cup full-fat canned coconut milk or creamer. You can, of course, also sub other milks for the almond milk. But if you do this, play around with the amount of vanilla extract, sweetener, and add-ins. (For example, an already-sweetened milk will probably need less added sweetener.)

low calorie peanut butter ice cream

P.S. Isn’t the plate gorgeous? It was $6 on sale. See, you do not need to spend a ton of money for cute dishware.

(Also, I think I need to branch out from blue. Every time an item—be it clothing, dishware, whatever—comes with a choice of colors, I almost always choose blue.)

Highly recommended:

Try this topped with some Peanut Butter Cookie Dough.

As is the case with chocolate, there is no such thing as too much peanut butter.

Question of the Day:

What is your absolute favorite food in the whole wide world?

Mine is chocolate. Always and forever. Sorry peanut butter; I give you points for trying!

Tags: , , , , , , ,

1. I have too many!!!!! But ultimately, its a tie between whole wheat sweet buns and caramellised cashew nuts! 😀 Chocolates great too, but its number 2 for me! 😀 PS: Your photos are getting better and better! 😀

2. Ruby says:

This looks amazing! My dad has an obsession with peanut butter so I’ll have to try this when his birthday comes around. I also have the same problem as you where everything I buy is blue… strange. And my favorite food is probably strawberries. Dipped in chocolate. Yes.

3. Gen says:

PB ice cream? I’m so there!

4. Jennifer says:

I too have been craving peanut butter like crazy. Maybe it’s the back to school season. One of my standard school lunches was always pb&j.

5. WOAH I am so trying this!! I made a chocolate PB version the other day, and it was SO good!! But I’ve bought coconut milk now and I think it’d be EVEN BETTER! 😀

Chocolate is #1, but nut butters are close in #2!! 🙂

1. Sarahishealthy says:

Yup! Agreed! Chocolate is king, but maybe pb is prince :).

1. @Saraishealthy Couldn’t agree more- I like the way you think 😉

2. And I LOVE that plate!! It’s beautiful! I can’t really buy many more plates and stuff- not enough room in my kitchen! 😛

3. I bet it’d be good with your cinnamon-raisin pb. Someone sent me that link yesterday :).

6. Amy says:

Perfect!!! And the photos are absolutely stunning!

7. Sarahishealthy says:

I am SO going to make this ASAP! And I agree with everyone else that I think your photos just keep getting better and better. You amaze me, girl!

8. PeaSoupa says:

This looks so good – peanut butter anything and I’m all over it!

9. you can’t make me decide! I go through phases. Avocado is up there. As are eggs. And sharp cheddar. And extra extra dark chocolate 🙂

10. SUCHA WIN!!! you go girl!! my FAV FOOD,, peanut butter… i willl NEVER get sick of it!

11. Ruthiey says:

I think you are so excited to live life, that you subconsciously love the sky, which translates to your love of blue. <3 That's my theory anyway. 🙂

1. Ruthiey says:

Wait, that didn’t make much sense… sorry Katie, it made sense in my head! 😀

1. No, it makes sense to me too!! 🙂

12. Jenny says:

I have always been a peanut butter lover, despite my brother having a severe peanut allergy. I didn’t like Reese’s or chocolate and PB in candy bars, but I loved the PB and chocolate sprinkle sandwiches my mom would make me once in a while as a treat, as a kid. (I hated PB&J as a kid, though! Weird.) So yes, I agree – there is no such thing as too much chocolate or too much peanut butter! (Or is there?!)

Not trying to be the dorky health nut… but… I love blueberries the most, when it comes to food! I can easily eat “too many” (by other peoples’ standards it’s ‘too many’, at least) blueberries, heh.

Are we seeing a trend here? More healthy ice cream recipes coming to CCK?! I’ll look forward to more, if that is the case. 🙂 Though, who am I kidding? I always look forward to your recipes, just like everyone else!

1. Aww you are always so sweet!!

13. L. says:

Love this! Love your blog!

14. Ashley says:

My fave food in the world has to be chocolate, especially dark chocolate. Nothing else compares, unless we could consider coffee a food;)

This ice cream looks delicious– except I’ll have to make it when my sister, and roommate, isn’t around because it’s her fave food and she’s slightly allergic to it!

1. Melissa says:

Soynut butter is surprisingly PB like.
      Maybe your sissa would like a surprise soynut butter ice cream treat!

My little brother had a peanut sensitivity for a while (it’s gone now, which is just weird) so I’d send him soynut butter. He loved it and he’s not an experimental eater at all.

Sunflower seed butter is also super good!

15. Katherine says:

My favorite food is yogurt, no doubt about it. Kind of weird, huh? Though peanut butter is probably number 2 on that list. I just got some peanut butter frozen yogurt that is to die for!

16. Flower says:

My favorite food is absolutely maple syrup!! 😀

You can top it on ice cream for example… 😉

17. Lauren says:

Peanut butter is probs one of my top Fave foods. I eat it everyday!! I love the blue plate:)

18. Lisa says:

yummay!! peanut butter IS my fav food in the world. altho I would argue there is such thing as too much….like eating half a jar in one sitting and having a bad tummyache after too much. Ill never learn my lessons…. 🙁 lol

19. Sarah says:

Hey! I’d love if you could make a healthy version of the chocolate cake in a mug that I’ve been seeing around? I’ve made it and it’s delicious but it’s absolutely horrible for you with all of the oil and such. And, who doesn’t love a Single-Ladies Chocolate Cake?

1. I’m working on a molten chocolate cake recipe. I wonder if it can be done in a mug…

20. Meg says:

Totally trying this with coconut milk for extra creaminess…err DREAMY-ness 😉