Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Homemade Chocolate Bars

Homemade Chocolate Bars

Three ingredients.

Five minutes.

The sky is the limit-- make any flavor chocolate bars you choose! Full recipe:

These homemade chocolate bars pretty much make themselves. It’s especially fun to customize the flavor, and they taste like eating the coating right off of a chocolate Dove bar.

The sky is the limit-- make any flavor chocolate bars you choose! Full recipe:

Homemade Chocolate Bars – 3 Ingredients

Print This Recipe 5/5

• 1/2 cup plus 1 tbsp cacao or cocoa powder
  • 4 tbsp unrefined coconut oil, melted
  • NuNaturals vanilla stevia drops to taste (If you'd prefer to use a liquid sweetener, such as agave or pure maple syrup, use this ratio instead: 1/4 cup cocoa powder, 1/4 cup coconut oil, 3 tbsp of your liquid sweetener.)
  • optional extracts, cocoa nibs, or other add-ins
  • optional 1 extra tbsp oil or water, if it needs to be thinner

Homemade Chocolate Bars: Combine coconut oil with the liquid sweetener or stevia drops. (For the stevia version, I recommend NuNaturals because I find other brands to have an aftertaste.) Stir, then add the cacao powder. Stir stir stir! Stir until it gets thick. Pour into any flat container (or candy molds or smush between layers of wax paper or in ziploc bags). Freeze until solid, and store in the freezer. Once hardened, you can also opt to melt the bars again for chocolate sauce. Or chop them up for healthy 100% sugar-free chocolate chips! If you use the stevia option, these bars are sugar-free.

View Homemade Chocolate Bars Nutrition Facts

The sky is the limit-- make any flavor chocolate bars you choose! Full recipe:

Updated Recipes: I’m trying to make the recipe pages easier to navigate… A few readers have said it’s confusing—with links going everywhere—and I’m truly sorry for that! There are just so many recipes, it’s hard to organize them all.

I’ve updated the following page: 100+ Healthy Meal Ideas & Recipes.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

1. Julie says:

OMG I love your website! I am OBSESSED!!! Your recipes are amazing! I had a quick question. For the NuNaturals Pure Liquid Vanilla Stevia that you use in your recipes. Do you have the one that is alcohol free? Because I have seen versions that contain grain alcohol, and ones that do not. I was just wondering which one was better taste wise? Thanks so much! You have a new fan here! 😉

2. hannah says:

this recipe is AMAZING!!!!!!!!!! i love this! i madethis for my family and they ate it ALL! i didnt get any!. iam a totalfoodieand this recipe ismy favorite!

3. Holly says:

Can you break this up into small pieces and bake it into cookies? Will it hold up in the oven?

4. Mann this is soooo cool. Going to try this once I free up some space in the freezer

5. Infantylna says:

Aww, that’s just simply awesome! <3

6. Jeanine Ford says:

Can I use powdered stevia and liquid vanilla? If so, how much

7. Erica says:

Makinglifesimple just did this recipe in a video! Excited to try this! I think I’ll add sea salt to my bars… Yummmmmm

8. Sarey says:

I just made the chocolate using apple juice concentrate as the sweetener – it turned out brilliant!

9. Alyssa says:

I bought some bars of 100% cacao while in Peru…I thought I could modify your recipe to make them into chocolate bars, it worked one time, but today I used a bit of coconut oil, cacao bars, and then I blended up a bit of sugar so it wouldn’t be too grainy and added it. The chocolate was so grainy! Is grainy chocolate a solve-able problem?

10. Kathryn says:

I realize this is an old post but I am hoping for some help. I made this using dutch process cocoa powder, expeller pressed coconut oil (good quality), and liquid vanilla stevia. They were beautiful and hardened easily but they tasted like plain cocoa powder! I re-melted added about 40 more drops of stevia and even a few packets but it still tasted so bitter I couldn’t eat it and I LOVE dark chocolate. I re-re-melted added more stevia and a little honey. They aren’t as bitter but with so much stevia they taste like stevia. Any ideas?

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

What stevia did you use? You should use nunaturals for the best taste.

1. Kathryn says:

I used Sweet Leaf because it was all I had. Seriously it was awful.

1. I would recommend NuNaturals if you are using stevia.

11. Darla says:

Can you give me some idea how much stevia to use?

12. Katherine says:

Katie, Katie, Katie.

I just made these… I think I died. I used dark cocoa and maple syrup. So good. :)

13. keely says:

could you use the stevia sachets instead of the liquid drops?

14. John says:

Recent reviews of nunaturals vanilla stevia claim that the quality of the product has decreased. Many claim that the product has been reformulated an now has a bitter aftertaste. Have you experienced any change in the quality of the nunaturals stevia? I realize you may not have purchased any of their vanilla stevia recently depending on how much of it you use. Could you recommend the next best vanilla stevia in your opinion?

1. Sorry, I hadn’t heard anything about that so I really don’t know.

15. Cassandra Sypulski says:

Has anybody tried this with chia seeds? I don’t know if it will turn out. I will make this, this weekend. I can’t wait.

16. Tara says:

I am a fan of dark chocolate, but mine were very bitter. I used quite a bit of stevia liquid. Is there a way to make them more of a milk chocolate taste (without cow’s milk) or less bitter tasting? I’m trying to stick with stevia as my body doesn’t do well with sugar in any form (honey, syrup, etc.)

17. Sammy says:

I love this! I am really craving some chocolate right now..

18. hollis lynn says:

what molds do you use that are easy to pop the bars out? YUM!

19. Great blog Katie! I’ve been searching for a blog that will give me snack and dessert ideas for my kids and I am so glad my search led me to your site. Can’t wait to try your recipes for some yummy desserts using healthy all natural ingredients. Finally my two kids will have a frequent servings of all natural snacks. Thank you for this great find, I’ll surely be frequenting this site for more recipes.

20. Lynn says:

I used a Spicy Hot Cocoa (organic, fair trade) powder instead of the sugar and cocoa. I poured it over rice krispies that my kids weren’t eating. Absolutely wonderful. And it uses up the hot cocoa mix that nobody was drinking!

21. Pastafarian says:

Wow wow wow.
    I was dubious (my 3 year old lives the date fudge balls but I don’t really like dates) but this is incredible. Lindt, at a fraction if the cost!
    Thank you!

22. Lisa says:

Hi, Katie,
    Why do you reduce the cocoa by half if you add liquid sweetener? Thanks!

23. Allison G says:

I made something exactly like this instead I used some cocoa butter and then I crushed up some pork rinds mixed it up and laid flat and froze. Very crunchy and delish

24. laina says:

i love this chocolate!

25. Beth says:

Chocolate Covered Katie has awesome recipes. Every sweet treat we have tried is fabulous and easy. These are our go to vegan snacks !

26. Nicole says:

Would this work with Dutch baking cocoa?

1. I’ve never actually tried. Hmmm…

27. Silvy says:

candy molds? can’t find them. Where did you get them Katie? Thank you for your delicious blog 😀

1. Silvy says:

I mean … rectangular as the ones you show , thanks again 😀

1. Rebecca says:

You can buy chocolate bar molds on Amazon. I bought a silicon one that you can easily pop the chocolate out of once frozen, then break apart into small rectangles like you would a commercially produced chocolate bar.

28. Karina says:

I know I’m late but I hope I get a response! I’m newly gfcf and desperately missing milk chocolate. Hate dark chocolate and notice people call this bitter. If I add almond milk and sugar, do you think it would taste more like milk chocolate? Also, how much sugar would you recommend? Don’t care that its unhealthier than the original recipe, just need it to taste authentic!!

29. Maryam says:

gah!… I guess you can’t do it with packets of truvia, it needs the liquid to absorb?

30. Katy H. says:

Thanks for the yummy recipes, Katie. I saw on the chocolate butter page you said you make 30gram bars. I’m low carbing so I’m trying to figure how many carbs each has. How many bars do you usually get per batch? (I’m also wondering how many tablespoons a batch of the chocolate butter makes…so I can calculate carbs per tablespoon. I’m going to post a request on that page, too, but if you want to answer both here, that’s great, too!).
    Thanks, :)

31. MJ says:

Thanks for your recipe. I am not familiar with using liquid Stevia. Could you give an approximate starting point for how much to use…2 drops, 10 drops, 20 drops?

32. Alyssa B says:

Could these be used in your chocolate bar or chocolate fudge pie?

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Hmm that’s a good idea. If you try it, be sure to leave a comment back saying how it went. I’d like to try it too!

33. Katie says:

Is there another thing you can use other then coconut oil?

34. teri says:

I just bought some molds to make my own chocolate bars! SO glad to have found your easy recipe. Have you tried adding fruit and/or nuts? If so, do you have directions for doing this? I’m wondering if it would be better to mix in and pour into molds OR pour the chocolate into the mold and then press in nuts and fruit.

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Just sprinkle some dried fruit into the molds after pouring in the chocolate.

35. Isabelle says:

Do you think we can make some chocolate milk bars ?
    My boyfriend loves chocolate, but only if it is milk chocolate.
    He still ate all of the ‘reese cups’ I’ve made but :)
    I tried to look at the comments to see if anybody have done it but I havent find.

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Maybe try adding a little milk to this recipe?

1. Isabelle says:

Oups I am very confused I thought that I was on the ‘Reese Cups’ page :) I will try adding a little milk as soon as I get coconut oil !

36. Ida says:

I am going to turn these into CHOCOLATE BARK! They look so good!

37. Patricia says:

Is it possible to substitute solid, unsweetened or bittersweet, chocolate for the cocoa powder?

1. I would think so but haven’t tried.

38. Rebecca says:

This recipe is fantastic! I use the suggested ratios for maple syrup, and it is delicious. I’ve been thinking about substituting half of the coconut oil for melted coconut butter, and wonder if anyone has tried this. Maybe it would be healthier because of the added fiber?

39. Arielle says:

Have you had any problems with this chocolate melting? How long is it good for?
    Thank you!

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

It needs to be kept cold because of the coconut oil. But in the freezer it will last for months.

40. Ryan says:

Wicked recipe. Thanks for sharing…….

41. Vickey M says:

My husband likes dark chocolate but I prefer milk chocolate…..could milk or cream be added or subbed to make this more of a milk chocolate type?

42. Hey Katie! These look awesome! I was just wondering though, what are they like at room temperature??

43. Sami says:

How long do these stay good in the freezer? If I take them out of the freezer, will they melt?!

1. Yes, they will melt at room temp. Frozen they last months.

44. nisha kaul says:

can i use honey as a liquid sweetener? thanks, Katie!

45. item says:

i have just discovered through online reviews that NuNaturals changed their formula a few months back. has anyone found a better stevia with no bitter aftertaste?

46. Robin says:

Silly question .. Do you melt the coconut oil before or after you measure it???

1. Robin says:

Oh never mind saw the answer scrolling up!

47. francesca says:

Thank you very much,for your recipes…you are my new cooking guru!! I loooove tour healthy recipes. Really, thank you so much!!

48. Anna says:

so…need to try this…would like to make sugar free MILK type chocolate, any suggestions?

49. Kelly says:

Whatever you do, don’t use actual sugar haha. I tried it and it came out terrible! Tastes like pure cocoa and it’s gritty and wouldn’t break up. But anyways I’m putting a later of chocolate, a layer of “peanut butter” (which is soy butter but tastes like actual peanut butter) and then another later of chocolate!

50. Janis says:

I would like to try these but I was wondering, by using coconut oil, wouldn’t the chocolate taste like coconut?

51. pookiemoose says:

I am new at making chocolate, so sorry if this these are stupid questions.

Could I temper this after I make it? That is, melt down the bars that I have made, do all the temperature raising and lowering stuff, and then remold them, to make them shinier and harder? Or should I do that while I am making it the first time? Is this even possible with bars made from coconut oil?

52. Susan-Marie says:

I do appreciate your healthy recipes, but I was wondering if you ever tried real sugar in your chocolate bar recipe. If so, what would the amount of sugar be? If you haven’t that’s fine, it just looked so good and you had me hooked when you said it tasted like Dove chocolate which is my favorite, but I have had some challenges with Stevia and sugar substitutes. Thanks for sharing!

53. Kara says:

Oh dear god thank you! I have been struggling with my weight ever since I was a child, and now I have a crushed disc in my spine so I have the choice to loose weight or be on painkillers for the rest of my life! My biggest problem is I have such a sweet tooth, and honestly this recipe has saved my life!! Your blog is amazing. My nutritionist recommended you, and I’m so glad she did!!

54. This is a fantastic idea! I am really excited to try these out!

55. Daphne says:

Your link to the nutritional facts link for this recipe takes you to a Hot Chocolate Butter recipe. Do you have the nutritional info for the Chocolate Bars?

56. Sylvie says:

You say “add Stevia to taste” but could you give me a starting point? 2 drops? 20 drops? Help!

1. Sylvie says:

FYI, I did see the comment above with link but it only shows conversions for sugar amounts, which doesn’t help because there’s no amount of sugar listed in the recipe to use for converting…

1. It *really* depends on your taste buds. I use 20 or so, but some people use up to 40.

57. Jonathan says:

Wondering if you can help. Made this recipe but it came out like thick frosting, even with the extra water added. I had to heat it on the stove to make it pourable, and even then was too thick still. I used the 1/4c oil, 1/4c cocoa, 1 Tbls pure maple syrup. Any ideas?

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

You may want to check out the troubleshoot comments in the Recipe FAQ section at the top of Katie’s blog. Here’s the link:

58. Emily says:

What type if cocoa do you use? Is it unsweetened?

59. Desiree says:

Thank you for this recipe! It has been frustrating trying to find chocolate chips to make cookies, etc. and they all have soy or “natural flavors” – and then the natural stuff can be so spendy – this way I can make as much as i want and try different sweeteners, etc. Have a blessed day!

60. Lisa C says:

I’m curious, Katie…you indicate Vanilla stevia drops “to taste,” but could you share what quantity you use for your personal preference? I’d like to try them your way the first time, and adjust from there. :) Thanks!

61. Lorena says:

Can I use vegetable oil instead of coconut oil? I don’t have coconut oil and my parents don’t have any time to buy any.

62. Caitydid says:

Dear Katie,

I’m so happy that I stumbled across your website last year because I love eating dessert, but not eating conventional desserts that are high in sugar. On to my comment, I love this recipe as does my chocolate loving friend. She said this is the smoothest, least bitter dark chocolates (I made it quite strong) she has ever tasted. However, I had one issue with the end result; the chocolate wouldn’t harden completely at room temperature. Any way to fix this?

63. Justine says:

I just made mine with mint extract! It smells so delish! I can’t wait for it to harden up! Tic toc:) thanks for the recipe!

64. Virginia says:

Hi Katie! I’ve tried this already twice and although tasty, did not resemble a chocolate bar. Do you have the measurements in grams?

65. Lynsey says:

Can this recipe be made using granulated coconut palm sugar as the sweetner? If so what ratio would you recommend?

66. libby says:

When I made these the chocolate never got thick…was I supposed to stir it over the heat after I melted the coconut oil? Also mine had a white residue on the top…like left over that normal? It still tastes great..but next time I will need to make a bigger batch, this barely made any! :)

67. lynsey44 says:

I just made this but I used honey and it came out amazing. I poured it onto a cookie sheet and added raisens and sunflower seeds. Then once it froze I chopped it up like a bark. It was amazing. Also im not sure what others are using that complaine of a coconut taste resulting from the coconut oil but what I use is completely flavor and oderless. I buy LouAna pure coconut oil. So for those of you that dont like a coconut flavor try that. even my picky husband loved it (who hates coconut and honey)and has requested more! I have a big sweet tooth and im confident that I can swap this as a more healthy alternative to my typical indulgences. Its also less expensive and can be made right at home. No more late night gas station runs when the chocolate monster comes calling.

68. John says:

I’m on the Adkins diet and I can’t eat sugar products or carbs. I think that your three ingredient candy bar may be carb free? Anyway, I’m on-line searching for candy bar molds (about the size of Hershey bars) and can’t find them. Do you know where or possibly a product name?

69. Laura says:

Hey Katie, I’ve got a question and it would be really lovely if you’d answer it!
    When you measure 1 cup of cocoa powder and 1 cup of melted coconut oil, how much does each of it weigh in grams? I live in Germany and we don’t use cups as a measurement here. I’ve been trying to find the answer to this question via Google but the problem is that the results were always different. And since I use your recipes a lot (love them by the way) it would probably make sense if I used YOUR result. Thanks in advance. (:

~ Laura

70. Sophie Leigh Thompson says:

I am just wondering, roughly how long does this chocolate last? In terms of best before?

71. Victoria says:

I love all your recipes!! Your latterly my savior!! Where do you get the sugar free sugar and the sugar free chocolate chips?

72. brooke says:

I love the idea! Imade two batches today one with pepermint. I used everyting organic coconut oil, cocoa powder and pure maple syrup. But I must have done something wrong. They were soooo bitter.. only thing I can think is I didnt stir forver and poured it put while tthkin. They hardend great and the last two (poured some into molds) were not solid and I think mostly syrupy but they were yummy but the others were icky for my taste. Any help maybe just stir better?

73. Tami says:

This made wonderful chocolate covered raisins!

74. Anna says:

How thick should the final product be? My still was sort of watery >___<
    I tried adding in instant coffee!! 😀 I don't think the coffee dissolved though, so there'll be an additional crunch 😀 hehehe

75. Drew says:

Aloha Katie,

I tried this recipe exactly, but the bars come out kind of powdery for me. Any idea what I might be doing wrong? I can’t find any bars in the grocery that don’t have cane sugar any more (my favorite brand now uses cane), so I am really eager to nail this one!

Also – can you recommend how many stevia drops are the right amount, at least for you, as a starting point? I think I went skimpy on them and so they are bitter for me – would be great to have a general guideline.

Warm mahalos!

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

I’m not sure what you could be doing wrong, but have you checked out Katie’s troubleshoot FAQ page for help? Here’s the link:

76. Crystal says:

Wow these look amazing! Sooo gonna make them.

How many drops of NuNaturals stevia do you recommend putting in? I just received my stevia today via amazon. Can’t wait to try it!

77. Alexandra says:

Do they have to be stored in the freezer? I tried making a recipe with cocoa butter which involves tempering and i failed miserably..If i used cocoa butter in replacement of the coconut oil in this recipe would i have to store it in the freezer?

78. Tea says:

After I freeze the chocolate and I leave it out on the counter for awhile, will the chocolate melt? My previous chocolates have done so, so will this recipe melt or actually stay hardened?

1. Andrea Ramirez says:

chocolate in general (and this is due to the cocoa butter and dairy butter) starts to melt at around 70-72 degrees the recommended temp to store at is no higher than 70 but usually about 68 is fine. Freezer is your best bet since if you refrigerate you’ll get blooms (when there is a white discoloration).

79. Terry says:

Can you use corn syrup instead of maple syrup or stevia.

80. Pat says:

Good day to you….on the chocolate bars…why must they be stored in the freezer? They’d be awfully hard to eat as other candy bars are…..

1. I think it’s because of the coconut oil. When it’s cold, it’s harder, but when it’s room temperature it can turn to liquid very easily. I made mine thin enough that it wasn’t hard to eat at all.

81. Janet says:

So I made these the other night and they turned out bitter. Did I not add enough Stevia drops? Do you have to add alot?

82. Clyde says:

I do not understand the directions for the 3 Ingredient Chocolate Bars.
    Is there no cooking or heat? There is not mention of it. And, do you mean 1/2 cup of powder and then another tablespoon of the same thing? Also, can you use honey?

83. Megan Miller says:

Could you use powdered Stevia in this recipe?

84. Carolyn says:

How many drops of Stevia do you recommend? It’s hard to know what to try until after the first time. Thanks.

85. I just made these today and I think I must have not stirred it for long enough? I can taste/feel the cocoa powder quite a bit. How long should it be stirred?

86. Andrea Ramirez says:

Has anyone used the packets of stevia for this recipe or know how stevia packets convert to the stevia drops also how many about did you use in the recipe?

87. JMPowers says:

Question for you. I do NOT like artificial sweeteners. How can I make the Hershey Bars w/ normal sugar?

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

None of Katie’s recipes use artificial sweeteners. Neither stevia nor maple syrup is artificial.

88. Terry says:

If you use sweet ground chocolate instead of cocoa and coconut oil, I used 1 cup of sweet ground chocolate and 8 tbsps. of coconut oil and very very good.

89. Terry says:

I used only sweet ground chocolate and coconut oil, yum.

90. Marah says:

I used honey in place of maple syrup and it worked out flawlessly!! Loved these chocolate bars.

91. Jane says:

Hello dear Katie,
    Today I ‘ve tried your recipe 3 ingredient chocolate bar, but you don’t mention how much of the Nu naturals Stevia drops will we use..If we choose stevia powder instead of drops, how much is the equivalent? Thank you in advance

92. Jane says:

Hello dear Katie,

93. maria elena says:

I love your bonnies, and really want to make some of those, I bought the plastic bunny mold, some chocolate wafers, but I need to improve the flavor, do you put in any almond flavors???? Thanks I love your site

94. Rick says:

When I found this recipe I thought ‘Too easy to be true…’ and, at least for me, it was. I was going nuts waiting for my shipment of Green & Black 85% Bars so I decided to try these. I used organic coconut oil an organic cocoa powder. I pulled out a silicone ice cube try I use when freezing pesto into handy 1 inch cubes and dropped a couple of toasted (organic) cashews in each compartment. I had my local (I live in Mexico) organic agave syrup on hand so I used it along with the 1/4 c each of cocoa and coconut oil as directed above. and….It never turned into anything but oil with cocoa powder floating in it. I stirred until it was pretty thick and went ahead and poured it into my molds. the oil and cocoa separated immediately. I went ahead and froze them and ate them – can’t waste all those great ingredients – but I would never show them in public.

95. Nicole S says:

Hey Katie, this is great and simple. Thanks. I actually used this and tried with the liquid stevia first and it came out a bit too bitter maybe I just wasn’t used to using it and didn’t use enough but I was also afraid of making it too sweet or having an aftertaste. My friend told me about swerve which is safe for diabetics and it can be used just in same proportion as sugar. That seemed to be much better since I’m more of a semi-sweet girl. I just thought I’d share that tip in case… I’m glad you posted this though. It really is a trick to find diabetic friendly treats like this that actually turn out well and taste good and that everyone can enjoy. I actually have a little melting pot that I used to blend this all and melt the coconut oil in first before I added the rest…worked pretty well just in case people were wondering. I’m kind of a gadget girl like doing things like that.

96. Luna says:

Okay, so I tried this out and believe it is a wonderful recipe! However, one problem occurred: I used honey as sweetener and when the chocolate was done freezing it sank to the bottom of the pan I used and did not distribute very evenly which resulted in certain parts of the chocolate tasting a bit too sweet and other parts a bit too bitter (most parts were delicious though!). I wonder if this happens due to the honey or does that generally happen with liquid sweeteners?
    And has anyone weighed how many grams/oz of chocolate the recipe makes? Unfortunately mine was gone before I had the chance to do that myself. 😉

1. Luna says:

…Or maybe I did not stir it long enough?!

97. emma says:

thanks for this recipe! i am currently on the Body Ecology Diet and have been thinking about making some raw cacao chocolates for when i have a craving. these look perfect!

98. Liz says:

Wondering if I break these into chocolate chips if they will hold up in baked goods? :)

99. Tammy says:

I just saw this recipe, made it, hated it. :( Came back here to pout, and realized- I messed up the recipe! How you can mess up just three ingredients, I don’t know, but I did. I did a full cup of cocoa (plus the tablespoon), and kept all the other ingredients to the same measurement. Won’t make that mistake again, ha ha! Making up a new batch later tonight. What I made turned out to be the perfect bittersweet chocolate though. 😉

100. Erika says:

This is fantastic! I love having a little glass of red wine and dark chocolate for dessert. I use to try and melt bakers chocolate and sweetened it with stevia- which is a pain. This works so muck better and I have complete control over the quality of my ingredients. Thanks Katie!

101. Debbie says:

While you are organizing your website could you please include a print button that contains only the recipe? We would appreciate it, thanks and LOVE your recipes. You have been a great help in me being able to go paleo for my health’s sake.

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

To print, highlight just the recipe itself and right-click “Copy.” Then, open a new Word document and right-click “Paste.” You can name this file, save it in a CCK Recipe folder, and easily print from that point on.

1. Rachel says:

You can also highlight recipe, and press print button and select “print selection only” (or highlighted portion only). Very easy to print recipe only.

102. Rachel says:

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! Just made this chocolate bar recipe with my 5 year old son and he was jumping around saying “Yay!” & “Yummo!” He hasn’t had a chocolate bar for awhile now and really misses them. Thanks so much. I can not verbalize my gratitude. 😀

103. CJ says:

Using coconut oil raises a person’s triglycerides. Can you replace the coconut oil with canola oil?

104. kyleigh says:

I tried and screwed up

105. Tony says:

I looked through your 3 ingrediant chocolate bars. Ive tried similar recipes, and they never work. I want to make homemade chocolate for me and my kids. milk chocolate and dark chocolate. All I ever get is chocolate that never hardens, stay soft, chewy, gooey and sticky.
    I know hard chocolate is supposed to be cooled, then reboiled at a certain temp and length of time, then put in molds to cool and harden. But I cant find anywhere to show me how to do that

1. Liz says:

I think one of the reasons coconut oil chocolate doesn’t harden up is that it’s just not as solid as the naturally occurring fat in chocolate. Room temp cocoa butter can be cut into pieces and is harder than butter. Room temp coconut oil is more creamy. If you want it to harden up, maybe try it with cocoa butter? The process you’re describing for making the chocolate hard/snap is tempering. I did it years ago and if you search the term you should definitely be able to find instructions on how!

106. Camille says:

Katie, I absolutely adore your recipes. This one is exactly what I’ve been looking for, but I have a question: I have a peanut and tree nut allergy and can’t have coconut anything. Are there any substitutes that I could possibly use?

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Try cacao butter, melted.

107. Amelia says:

How many drops of Stevia do you use? I can’t wait to try this recipe. Thanks so much. PS My kid with a dairy allergy was so excited that he will get to eat a candy bar.

1. JJ says:

In a reply to another comment, Katie wrote: It *really* depends on your taste buds. I use 20 or so, but some people use up to 40.
      (I had it copied to make a note on Pinterest :) )

108. Yellena says:

You make me happier every day!

109. Maureen Green says:

I have wanted to use coconut oil for ages but my head is saying – “it’s fatty oil!”. But I may try this with the kids and see how they like it. Thanks CCK

110. Josie says:

Katie, you are so patient with all the questions that have been asked and answered a billionity times! I made this tonight as written and it is perfect. Snappy, shiny and delicius plain or with peppermint oil. Three cheers from Australia!

111. Anna says:

Another awesome recipe from Katie. I made mine with half raw honey and half maple syrup (three tablespoons each) and I think I could reduce that to only a 1/4 cup total for a good, dark chocolate bar.
    I topped it with shredded coconuts and almonds!

112. Peggy says:

Does anyone know if these are oven stable for choc. chip cookies?

1. Liz says:

I would guess that they aren’t since they get melty just at room temp. I’m still going to try and cook with them though because, well, chocolate!

113. Lucy says:

Does anyone know if this would work subbing some of the cocoa powder for milk powder to make milk chocolate? I’m not vegan and all of the healthy chocolate you can make or buy is dark. Thanks

1. Liz says:

I tried this once and it came out grainy and cruddy. Might have been the powdered milk I used. If you end up giving it a go, let us know what you find out! And what milk powder you use :-)

114. Liz says:

Inspiration! I’ve had chocolate made with coconut oil before and I always found it too oily/melty (and too coconuty) + too sweet. But you have given me an idea! I took an unsweetened (100%) chocolate bar, melted it down, added liquid stevia and broken up bits of coconut date rolls (they’re cheaper than whole dates and they’re already mushed up and soft!), stir stir stir, and then pressed it into parchment paper like you suggest and popped the whole thing in the freezer. 30 minutes later – chocolate! It’s still pretty melty (in part because it’s not tempered – this happens with any chocolate you melt and re-solidify), but it’s less sweet, less oily and I’m pretty excited to try it out in one of your wonderful cookie recipes. <3

115. Jess Scarbrough says:

These look awesome! I see that it says to store in the freezer but how would try do at room temp? Is there a way to make them more stable? I’d love to do these in a variety for family stocking stuffers if I can get them to hold up.

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

You could try replacing the coconut oil with melted cacao butter, but you will have to experiment.

116. Judy L says:

help me out here?
    I’m dealing with dry Stevia, but attempted to dissolve it in water prior to adding it. (trying to match the “liquid” sweetener mentioned.
    How much? 10 Tblspoons and the chocolate was still a bit bitter.
    PLUS it had already become thick in the pan…

heating it back up again only made the oil separate!! LOL!
    Help! I’m letting it cool down to see if I can whip it back together again.
    (I did add some powdered red chile & a Tblsp of instant coffee for flavor!)

1. Judy L says:

I forgot to mention, that I doubled the recipe!!!

117. pam says:

I was so excited to try this! However, my turned out bitter. I used the NuNaturals vanilla stevia drops and Hershey’s cocoa powder. Any suggestions as to what I might be doing wrong? The recipe says stevia drops “to taste”. Maybe I used too much or too little? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

1. anonymous says:

Is this a serious question or are you joking?
      Obviously if they are too bitter, you need to add more sweetener…

1. pam says:

No, I wasn’t joking. The stevia is a highly concentrated sweetener and I kept adding it to no avail. I would not have assumed this recipe would require more than a quarter of a bottle. I wanted to get some feedback on how much of the NuNaturals stevia drops others have used successfully.

2. JJ says:

Mine was bitter too, I used 10 drops. I found in another comment Katie said: It *really* depends on your taste buds. I use 20 or so, but some people use up to 40.

Next time I’ll use more :) hope it works for you with more stevia

1. JJ says:

I just realised you used a quarter of a bottle! Sorry my reply won’t be of any help :-/

118. Shelby says:

Does it need to be liquid sweetener?

119. Tracy says:

Would this work if you heated the mixture for awhile first? It seems to me that cocoa powder has a more concentrated chocolate flavor if it is “melted” first. thanks!

120. Angeles says:

I loved this recipe!! I am just wondering why does it take so long for the chocolate to get solid as it has been already for quite a while in the freezer and it is still not a proper hard chocolate bar. Could you please provide some advice? Thanks!!

121. Susan says:

Hi Katie :
    Is there any way to make this a “milk chocolate” version?
    Thank you.

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Katie says she has not tried, but you can always experiment with replacing the water with milk or something. If you do experiment, be sure to report back!

122. Sadia says:

O.M.G. These are divine. So simple. SO DELICIOUS. PERFECT. You know the way to our hearts.

123. Megan says:

I know the last comment on here is pretty old, but hopefully I can get some help! I am new to using Stevia and I bought the kind you suggested and tried to make the bars today, but I don’t think I used enough drops. How many would you suggest to use for following the recipe exactly like you have above? Thanks!

124. Matea says:

If I was to chop up the chocolate bars for chocolate chunk cookies, would it work? I once made cookies out of chocolate bars (coconut oil, sugar, and cocoa powder) and (in the oven) the chocolate completely melted (it was delicious but aesthetically it kinda failed.) I think it was the coconut oil that made the chocolate melt so quickly, but I’m not 100% sure.

125. cath says:

Do you put the ingredients for the chocolate bars over heat or just stir without heat.

No heat needed.

126. Julia says:

Can I use a different oil instead of coconut oil? For example, maybe canola or vegetable oil?

1. Aenia says:

It won’t harden! Coconut oil is solid at room temperature, that is why it is perfect for this kind of recipe. It freezes/solidifies and melts very well. Canola/vegetable oil would probably result in a gooey sauce. A substitute that might work would be butter, non-hydrogenated shortening, or another saturated fat at room temp. with similar properties.

127. jenny says:

When I made the three ingredient chocolate bars, the chocolate part got thick, but the oil and aguve wouldn’t mix with it. What did I do wrong? I did the 1/4 cup cocoa power, 1/4 cup coconut oil and 3 tbsp of Aguve syrup. It looked like a blob of chocolate brownie texture and then all the liquid.

1. jenny says:

Thank you for writing “no heat” required. I cooked it on the stove that is why did didn’t work.

128. Anonymiss says:

Hello, I was wondering if there was a way you could make these chocolate bars snappy without the coconut oil. The oil is expensive, and I’ve tried butter and vegetable oil all with failurers. Is there any successful substitute?

129. Pamela says:

I would like to know the nutritional information for the chocolate bars. The link takes me to a page about chocolate sauce, not the nutritional information.

Thank you.

130. Renate Hoornstra says:

I just made these with date syrup instead of stevia or maple syrup (homemade, it’s just dates and water) and it’s great !! thanks for this recipe. Can I please translate it and post it on my dutch and italian websites for hypothyroid patients (most of them have to eat gluten free) with a link to your original recipe?

131. Aenia says:

THANK YOU for this recipe! I finally got around to trying it today, and it tastes just like a chocolate bar. I used a combination of liquid stevia and 2 packets of stevia, as well as raw cacao powder. It was slightly bitter, but I enjoy bitter dark chocolate. I will now make these regularly, as I love to eat chocolate :)

1. Julia says:

I made this today too, and it tasted fantastic! My mother loved it since she’s a huge fan of dark chocolate! :)

132. Shawna says:

I just made some of this with orange essential oil . . . it’s in the freezer now and I’m chomping at the bit waiting for it to set. :)

1. Shawna says:

Oh . . . I used honey as my sweetener!

133. Becky says:

Hi, these sound amazing! I love dark chocolate! My only question is, does it HAVE to be unrefined coconut oil? I only have refined, will that make a huge difference, do you know? Thanks so much!

134. ellie says:

Hi I just stumbled upon your blog. I make chocolate this way, but just sort of eyeball/taste usually. I have not tried your specific recipe so I apologize if this is irrelevant. Iwas trying to read through all the comments to get see if this was mentioned..but there are just SO many. I have not tried your specific ratios but I know typically when I have made coconut oil chocolate it melts fairly easy and it will soften if not refrigerated. Is this the same with your ratios? If so any recommendations on additions for making it stay harder? (I am vegetarian and gluten free)

135. maddi says:

About how many bars does this recipe yield?

136. Bobbi says:

I’m wondering why you specifically say unrefined coconut oil. My family hates the tastes of coconut and the refined doesn’t have any flavour. I’m assuming it would work the same but unrefined is not processed so therefore better?

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

You can always experiment. Be sure to report back if you do!

137. Yvette says:

How much sugar should I use, if I wanted to use organic evaporated cane sugar? Thank you.

138. regina says:

hello, could you plzzzz give a starting point or guideline for the stevia extract so as not to waste…..thanks a bunch :) how much do you use?

139. michelle says:

I tried these with the maple syrup alternate version and they didn’t firm up in the freezer, has anyone had the same problem or did I screw it up somehow? I made them for valentines day and my boyfriend ate them with a spoon, still yummy though – guess it’s the thought that counts!

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Sounds like either your coconut oil was bad or freezer was not cold enough. Virgin coconut oil will freeze as soon as it’s chilled if it is good. Mine firms up even in the fridge!

140. Morgan says:

These were amazing! Thank you so much for this awesome recipe! I made a batch two days ago and my mom made me make 3 more batches that night! It was so good I could not stop eating it! I’ve already given the recipe/your website link to two different people =D

141. Rachel says:

Can you substitute the coconut oil with something like flaxseed/linseed oil? Or would that mean it wouldn’t set? I really don’t like coconut!

142. Irini S. says:

The recipe for the chocolate is very good
    I will fix it with popcorn for my grandchildren who love chocolate

143. Shula says:

Just a note that the link that says “View Homemade Chocolate Bars Nutrition Facts ” on page goes someplace else.

144. Lynn says:

Can you make a ganache with the finished product?

Love your recipes. Recently I have been finding that eliminating white flour and white sugar from my diet mostly eliminates my knee pain, and your recipes have been a godsend!

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Sure you can! Just refrigerate the frosted product to set the ganache.

145. mariah says:

Can i ise powdered stevia? If yes whats the ratio?

146. olivia says:

This sounds very easy and tasty so might try it.

147. Heather says:

Can you use a powdered Stevia or does it need to be liquid??

148. Shari says:

Can you please tell me how many drops of the liquid stevia you use?

1. JJ says:

Katie replied in another comment saying: It *really* depends on your taste buds. I use 20 or so, but some people use up to 40.

149. Holly says:

Hi…your directions don’t tell you to mix the cocoa in with it….

150. simone says:

I made this with agave today and it satisfied my chocolate cravings. :) I was wondering how many drops of the vanilla stevia you usually use.

151. Ashley says:

Hi katie,
    Can you make these with stevia or sweetener packets instead of drops?

152. Stacey says:

Is there any coconut flavour to these?

153. Judy Bass says:

I put in to search for a recipe WITHOUT coconut oil or coconut….always get sent to recipes WITH coconut !!!!

154. RiaEH says:

Hi Katie! I’ve never thought of asking you about this before. What do you think about carob powder? Is it alright to substitute this for cocoa powder? Thanks very much!

155. david says:

how do you get them cut so uniform and without breaking?

156. Kakungulu says:

I’m trying to find recipes that use real chocolate, like 100% cacao “unsweetened” bars. I can only find ones that use cacao powder and other fats, like coconut oil. This looks great though and I’ll give it a try if I give up on finding the chocolatier secrets…
    Two comments from an annoying purist:
    1. Technically, if the fat holding your chocolate-flavored candy together isn’t the cacao butter that’s processed from the cacao bean, it’s fudge, not chocolate. In my home country it is even illegal to call it chocolate.
    2. Nothing is really “unsweetened”, because there’s no sense in taking something that’s sweetened and then extracting the sweetener out of it.
    Thanks for a great post

157. Judy says:

These are amazing. I used the added cocoa nibs which gave them the added crunch. Who would ever need regular chocolate again after eating these! Thanks for making sweetness healthy!

158. Deanna Davidson says:

Does anyone know if these will melt or get mushy if kept at room temperature stored in the fridge instead?

159. Tania says:

All of the homemade sugar-free chocolate recipes have coconut oil/butter in them. These, along with other tropical oils and butters are forbidden in many diets due to their high saturated fat content.

Are there any substitutions for these fats and oils that are healthier?

160. marissa brueshaber says:

so what oil does one use if they have a hard time with coconut and palm fruit oil stuff..i have not figured this one out yet

161. cara says:

how much stevia should I add in drops?

162. Genevieve says:

I am so excited to try this recipe! I really NEED in that way one needs chocolate, a sugar free chocolate recipe.

Could you tell me how much Stevia you use??? That would be really helpful for me as a stevia newbie, to have a place to start from.

Genevieve :)

163. Beth Browne says:

Thanks, I love your recipes! This one also makes a wonderful chocolate “shell” on ice cream!

164. Lauren says:

How much stevie do you use. I added several stoppers full and it was terrible. Not sure what I did wrong. I added to the coconut oil and then the cocoa powder and stirred it. It kept getting thicker no matter how much liquid I added and never was sweet at all. Please help.

165. Evette says:

Gd recipe… I think I go try it out.i am doing a class project on advertising and I hope to make my own chocolate for this task.

166. sophie says:

could i use honey as my liquid sweetener?

167. Sherri says:

How long can they be out of the freezer before getting soft? I was thinking of gifting but concerned about them melting too fast. Thanks!

1. They’d have to stay refrigerated or frozen and can only be left out for short periods (like up to 10 minutes)

168. Holly says:

Maybe I am doing something wrong? I have tried twice now and it never freezes to solid. =( I did 1/4 c cacao powder, 1/4 c unrefined coconut oil, 3 tbl maple syrup. Any advice?

1. Michelle says:

Same problem here. It seems like the original recipe with the stevie drops has a lot higher dry-to-wet ingredient ratio. Maybe it should be 1-1/4 c cocoa powder to 1/4 c coconut oil and 3 tbsp of maple syrup?

2. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Are you putting it in the freezer? Sounds like maybe your freezer is not cold enough? Coconut oil should harden within minutes in a cold enough freezer! :-)

169. Holly says:

I don’t think it is the freezer. The freezer is cold enough to turn water to ices, and sometimes it frosts up, but in the previous place I lived, I had the same problem. Maybe I should try putting more coconut oil? It just seems like when using maple syrup as a sweetener, there is just as much maple syrup as there is coconut oil. It doesn’t stay liquid, but it is just soft, not hard like a chocolate bar. And in the original recipe, it only calls for a few drops of stevia. Should I try reducing the maple syrup then?

170. Jill says:

How much stevia (drops) do you use?

171. Haley Alexander says:

Is there anything you could substitute for the Stevia drops?

172. KAREN KING says:

Katie, before I found your website and recipe, I tried making chocolate bars with Baker’s unsweetened baking chocolate squares. I’m not a cook, and have NEVER tried making candy before. They turned out pretty well, but my recipe needs tweaking. I didn’t measure anything, so do you have some measurements for using baking chocolate? I used coconut oil and honey, poured a small amount into cupcake liners to make patties, and left them on the counter to cool overnight. They are a little soft–somewhere between fudge and icing. Do you think I used too much oil or honey? I prefer honey over sugar and other sweeteners.

173. Merel says:

I made them from carob instead of cocao and with salted almonds! They were always my favorite from Cote’dor but since I changed my diet had to miss those… But now, they’re back in the house,.. and even better! :) Thanks a lot, nice recipe!

174. Brad says:

This sounds awesome and delicious…and I’m diabetic so this would work for me. I bet for a little kick it would probably be good to throw some espresso beans in the mixture. I used to love eating chocolate covered espresso beans.

175. Brad says:

This sounds awesome and delicious…and I am diabetic so this would work for me. I bet for a little kick it would be good to throw some espresso beans in the mixture. I used to love eating chocolate covered espresso beans.

176. Vicky says:

I make something like this with baker’s chocolate, butter and erythritol. Love it!

177. Mary says:

How fast do these melt if left out like regular chocolate

1. Depends on how hot it is in your kitchen, but usually within ten minutes.