Apple Enchiladas

Apple Pie Enchiladas: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2013/09/12/apple-enchiladas/

Stuffed apple enchiladas, topped with homemade Maple Caramel Sauce.

Don’t you want these in your life?

Apple Pie Enchiladas

Still need convincing?

Apple Enchiladas

This is culinary fusion at its finest.

The hot-from-the-oven apple enchiladas give you all the cinnamony goodness of hot apple pie stuffed securely into a tortilla and baked to a bubbly perfection. While traditional apple enchilada recipes can call for up to an entire cup of sugar and a large amount of butter, this version has been lightened up considerably, making it a delicious indulgence for dessert or breakfast. For the optimum dessert-enchilada experience, don’t forget the ice cream! (The enchiladas in the photos are topped with the maple version of my favorite ice cream recipe.)

Apple Enchiladas    Apple Pie Enchiladas

Apple Enchiladas

(makes 4)

• 4 1/2 cups chopped apples (about 4 1/2 small apples)
  • 2/3 cup water
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 2 tbsp cornstarch or arrowroot
  • scant 1/4 tsp pure stevia extract, or 1/2 cup sugar of choice
  • 1 cup apple juice (I used all-natural)
  • 1 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
  • four 8-inch soft tortillas, gluten-free if desired

Place 2 cups of the chopped apples in a medium saucepan with the water. Bring to a boil, then cook on low heat for 8 minutes. Meanwhile, combine remaining 2 1/2 cups apple with all other ingredients in a blender, and blend until completely smooth. After the 8 minutes, add the blender contents to the saucepan and bring to a boil again. Once it begins to boil again, turn heat to low. Cook 30 minutes, stirring very occasionally (just like 3-4 times). Let cool, then put in the refrigerator, uncovered. Wait at least 4 hours before proceeding with the rest of the recipe, as this filling will thicken as it cools.

For the apple enchiladas: Preheat oven to 400F, and lightly grease an 8-in square pan. Portion about 1/3 cup of filling in the middle of each of 4 tortillas, roll up, then stick into the pan (seam-side down). Cover with the remaining sauce. Bake 28 minutes. Serve warm or cold, with ice cream of choice.

View Apple Enchiladas Nutrition Facts

Cinnamon Apple Enchiladas

LINK OF THE DAY:

chocolate popsicles
..Mint Chocolate Fudge Pops

Tags: , , , ,

1. Deanna says:

Oh yum! I love apples (second to chocolate, of course 😉 ). Perfect timing for fall too. Can’t wait to try!

2. Oh my goodness Katie! These look incredible. They were one of the first posts to show up in my blog reader this morning and as soon as I saw the picture I just clicked… Didn’t even check to see who they were from. But I should have known 😉

3. Apples, cinnamon and maple drizzle? Amazing. Coincidentally apple crumble’s been on my mind for the past days so these look like just another awesome idea. If only I could find non-sketchy ingredient-laden tortillas over here …

4. I have a recipe for baked apple pie egg rolls that I love, but I’ve never seen apple enchiladas before! I don’t really like pie crust, so this sounds like another great way to get an apple pie flavor without the crust especially when topped with a scoop of ice cream!

5. Laura says:

These look delicious. There is nothing I like more than warm apple pie with vanilla ice cream. Beautiful pictures as always!

6. These look so yummy – what a great Fall dessert! I bet pumpkin-twist on these enchiladas would be delish, too.

1. Laura says:

You are speaking my mind about the pumpkin!

7. Danielle says:

Have you been reading Moosewood New Classics? They do apple quesadillas in there!

8. These look amazing! Coincidentally, I had a breakfast almost exactly like this, this morning. Except I used a crepe instead of a tortilla and put cream cheese in the middle as well as apple filling. Can’t wait to try this recipe, seeing as how I have tons of apples to use up.

9. These look amazing! I’m going apple picking in a couple weeks, so I’ll make sure to pick a lot more to make these!

10. Andrea says:

This looks really delicious! Please take no offense by this, but being of Mecican descent, i thought I would clear up what “enchilada,” really means, it’s pretty much anything drenched in a chili sauce. So, I would have to say this is more like a burrito or a “relleno” which means stuffed. Hope this helps. 🙂

1. Liz says:

Ah but the definition has changed over the years as different varieties have emerged. Now there are Enchiladas suizas (white sauce) and Entomatadas (tomato sauce). And now apple sauce!

1. Andrea says:

Yes, the varieties have changed over time, however; “enchiladas,” have still remained the same, they have always contained chile. Entomatadas and Suizas as you suggest still have chile in the recipe, hence why they are a variation of enchiladas.

1. Amy McCann says:

I was actually thinking empanadas. But to be that does it need to be an enclosed pocket? I love apple empanadas, so I thought of this recipe that way. It took 4 times of reading it before I realized she called it enchiladas, lol. I was kinda just excited for this recipe 🙂

11. Riana says:

These look delicious, except I’m on a grain-free diet. I found these tortillas that would go perfect with this recipe: http://www.againstallgrain.com/2011/05/04/grain-free-tortillas/ for anyone interested in also excluding grains.

12. You’re such a genius, Katie! The apple enchiladas look so comforting, and perfect for autumn! I’ve been making my own tortillas lately and this will be the perfect use for them!

13. Tammela says:

I am so excited for apple season. These look delicious!

14. Suzanne B says:

OMG……looks soooo delish! Yum…thanks!

15. I thought you had me at “apple enchiladas” BUT then I read that I can eat them for breakfast. Count.Me.In.

16. Wow these look so simple but packed with flavor. Also it’s apple pickin’ season so this is another great way to use up all the apples!

17. Lisa says:

These look so amazing!!
    I love that you took enchiladas and made them sweet, such a great idea. And now that Fall is on its way the apple flavor is spot on.

18. Justin says:

yummm these look fantastic! I recently got a juicer and can totally make my own apple juice for this…and also make your detox drink more easily…:)

19. Wow, these look so delicious! I don’t need convincing. I want them in my life. haha! 🙂
    I love how you lightened up the recipe and used stevia instead of sugar. I need some of that ice cream, too!
    Gorgeous recipe and photos.
    Pinned! 🙂