A rich chocolate loaf cake is stuffed with thick ribbons of creamy cheesecake filling, in this secretly healthy chocolate cream cheese banana bread.
It’s the ultimate option for a healthy breakfast or dessert.
The chocolate banana bread can easily be made egg free, dairy free, oil free, and vegan. And leftovers (if there are any leftovers) can be sliced and frozen, so it’s also great for breakfast meal prep.
If you love chocolate and cheesecake as much as I do, definitely give this homemade chocolate cream cheese bread a try.
Also make these Easy Cinnamon Rolls
Yesterday was our first real snowfall in two years, and I made this banana bread to warm up the kitchen after getting back from a bundled-up walk in the cold.
Along with a mug of Vegan Hot Chocolate, it was the perfect filling snack to enjoy while watching the snow blanket the streets outside my apartment window.
With the thick layer of sweet cream cheese filling, there’s no frosting needed, and please feel free to change up the flavor by adding a few drops of almond or maple extract or a 1/2 tsp of instant coffee to the batter before baking.
Trending now: Overnight Oats – 15 recipes
For a flourless version, try this Almond Flour Banana Bread.
If you want to make it into flourless chocolate banana bread, simply add 1/4 cup cocoa powder, decrease the almond meal by 3 tbsp, and add 3-4 tbsp sugar or erythritol.
Above, watch me make the original Chocolate Banana Bread
Chocolate Cream Cheese Banana Bread
- 2 cups banana (for banana-free, try this Chocolate Yogurt Loaf)
- 2 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp white or cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup oil or milk of choice
- 2/3 cup pure maple syrup, honey, or agave
- 1 3/4 cup spelt, white, or oat flour (flourless option listed above)
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp dutch cocoa (or additional regular)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp each: baking powder and salt
- optional 1/2 cup chocolate chips
Cream Cheese Filling
- 8 oz cream cheese (store-bought, or homemade vegan cream cheese)
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar or erythritol (or 1/8 tsp uncut stevia)
- 3 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
- Bring cream cheese to room temperature. Beat filling ingredients until smooth, using beaters if you can for optimum smoothness. Set aside. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease or line a 9×5 loaf pan. Whisk all bread ingredients in a bowl, and stir until just evenly combined. Spread about 2/3 of the batter into the pan, smooth the filling on top, then cover with remaining batter. Sprinkle extra chocolate chips on top if desired. Bake on the center rack 50 minutes, then keep door closed but turn off oven and let sit an additional 10 minutes before removing from the oven. If you can wait, I recommend very loosely covering and refrigerating overnight because it is sweeter and firmer the next day.View Nutrition Facts
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @chocolatecoveredkatie on Instagram
More Healthy Breakfast Ideas
(or these Keto Blueberry Muffins)