This thick and creamy coconut curry recipe is so quick and simple to prepare, you’ll probably end up making it for dinner at least once a week!
The Best Easy Coconut Curry Recipe
If you need a no-fuss dinner that’s ready in under 30 minutes, this healthy coconut curry will not let you down.
The recipe is perfect for anyone who loves Thai food, because it tastes like something you’d get from a fancy Thai restaurant – and it can easily be made right in your own kitchen!
Also Try These No-Bake Coconut Fudge Bars
Vegan Thai Curry
For Red Coconut Curry: Stir in the 1-2 tbsp red curry paste listed as optional in the recipe. You can make your own homemade curry paste if you’re feeling adventurous, or I normally just use Thai Kitchen brand.
For Yellow Coconut Curry: Either simply omit the optional curry paste in the recipe below, or use this mild Yellow Curry Recipe instead.
For Green Coconut Curry: Stir in the green curry paste—once again, you can use homemade or store-bought. I also like to add a splash of lime juice and use green vegetables as my vegetables of choice. For a spicy version, add more curry paste and a little extra ginger.
(Green curry paste has fresh green chilies, while red curry paste uses dried red chilies.)
Leftover Coconut Milk? Make Chocolate Truffles!
Coconut Curry Ingredients
The Vegetables: Anything goes, from chopped broccoli or cauliflower, to snow peas, to spinach, butternut squash!
Optional Protein: While many people will add chicken or shrimp to their Thai coconut curries, I like to keep it vegetarian by throwing in some chickpeas, lentils, black beans, or tofu.
Coconut Milk: Use full-fat canned coconut milk or coconut cream for this recipe, not the coconutmilk that comes in a carton. Using reduced fat canned coconut milk will yield a thinner sauce that won’t be as rich and creamy, but it’s still good if a lower-fat option is desired.
How To Make Coconut Curry
The curry can either be made on the stovetop in a pot or skillet or in a crockpot or slow cooker. I haven’t tried the recipe in an instant pot yet, so feel free to experiment, and be sure to report back if you do!
You can also turn the recipe into coconut curry soup by simply adding additional coconut milk. The recipe is super versatile – for example, if you want more of an Indian coconut curry, stir in a pinch of cumin and coriander.
Serving Suggestions: This homemade curry is great with rice or noodles or served over baked sweet potatoes (Here’s the best way How To Cook Sweet Potatoes). Or for a low carb and keto curry, serve it over Spaghetti Squash.
For dessert, make Coconut Ice Cream!
Coconut Curry Recipe
- 1 onion
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 peppers, sliced
- 1 cup vegetables of choice, such as green beans, snow peas, chopped broccoli, or diced sweet potato
- 1 can coconut milk (13.5oz)
- 1 tbsp sweetener of choice
- 1 tsp minced ginger, or 1/4 tsp powdered
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
- optional protein of choice, such as cubed tofu or black beans
- optional 1-2 tbsp green or red curry paste
- optional handful Thai basil
- optional 1/2 cup chopped pineapple
- optional 2-4 tbsp peanut butter
- Stovetop Recipe: Combine all ingredients in a pot or skillet. (If desired, you can brown the onion in a little oil first.) Cook over medium heat—stirring occasionally—until sauce has thickened and carrots are tender. Add water or milk of choice to thin down sauce as needed. Crock Pot Recipe: Combine all ingredients in a slow cooker or crockpot and cook on low for 6 hours or until vegetables are soft.View Nutrition Facts
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @chocolatecoveredkatie on Instagram
More Healthy Dinner Recipes:
(Just 6 Ingredients)