A super easy sweet potato chili recipe, with everything you could ever want in a quick and healthy weeknight meal!
The Best Sweet Potato Chili
This homemade vegetarian chili recipe has been a favorite in my family for over ten years.
Packed with wholesome ingredients like sweet potatoes, zucchini, tomatoes, onions, and black beans, what’s not to love?
Leftovers freeze well too, so it’s a really great recipe for meal prep!
Along with my Vegan Peanut Butter Cookies, this sweet potato chili is one of the first recipes I ever made without following instructions in a cookbook.
The recipe can be vegan, gluten free, Whole 30, paleo, high in protein, and oil free.
Also Try These Buffalo Cauliflower Wings
Chili Serving Suggestions
Serve over rice or quinoa
Serve over spaghetti squash
I haven’t tried the recipe in an instant pot, so be sure to report back if you try. There is a slow cooker version here: Crock Pot Sweet Potato Chili.
Add a shake of hot sauce for smoky or spicy chili, and feel free to use whatever beans you have on hand. I especially like it as black bean sweet potato chili.
Above, watch the video of how to make sweet potato chili
The recipe was adapted from my Vegetarian Chili Recipe.
Sweet Potato Chili
- 1 large sweet potato (10 oz)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 can black beans, or beans of choice
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup chopped zucchini, optional
- 2 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 1/2 tsp each: cumin and salt
- Peel sweet potato, and chop or dice, depending on desired size. (If you have time, I love roasting the sweet potato now, but it's not required.) Bring all ingredients except zucchini to a boil. Then turn to medium-low and cook uncovered (add zucchini about halfway through) until sweet potato is soft. It depends on the size of the potato but should take around 15 minutes. Taste, and add salt and pepper as desired. I add an additional 1/2 tsp salt. Serve with sliced avocado, tortilla chips, or whatever you wish.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @chocolatecoveredkatie on Instagram