These unbelievably thick and gooey vegan Levain chocolate chip cookies are just as addictive as the famous bakery version – with NO eggs or dairy!
New York City’s Most Famous Cookie
My first introduction to Levain chocolate chip cookies came just about a month ago.
As soon as I saw the legendary soft and chewy cookies, packed with melty chocolate in each bite, I fell instantly in love.
How had I never heard of these before???!
The New York City bakery was slated to open a new location in Georgetown – their first shop ever outside of NYC – and suddenly everyone I knew was talking about their classic chocolate chip walnut cookies.
Also try this Vegan Chocolate Mousse
Enlisting my non-vegan friends as taste testers, I set about to recreate the beloved dense and gooey texture of the original bakery-style cookies in a dairy free way.
We went through a few trials to get them perfect, but the final results were totally worth it.
Trending now: Vegan Donuts
The Tricks To Soft Cookies
These vegan Levain cookies are the opposite of my Crispy Cookies.
So I employed the same baking tricks as I did with the crispy cookie recipe, just in reverse this time.
I used brown sugar because it has more moisture than white and is more acidic, meaning it reacts with baking soda to produce air that helps the cookies rise.
And I baked them at a higher temperature than my other cookie recipes, because this reduces spreading.
To achieve the softest, fluffiest chewy chocolate chip cookies from scratch, I added a little bit more flour and less sugar, and I chilled the dough before baking.
The recipe calls for traditional chocolate chip cookie ingredients – no coconut oil, chia seeds, or flax eggs required.
You May Also Like: Chocolate Truffles – Just Two Ingredients
More Vegan Cookie Recipes
Above, watch the video of how to make vegan Levain bakery cookies
Vegan Levain Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 cup white, spelt, or oat flour (for flourless, try these Keto Cookies)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, unrefined if desired
- 3 tbsp regular sugar, unrefined if desired
- 2/3 cup chocolate chips
- 3 tbsp butter (such as Melt vegan)
- 1 1/2 tbsp milk of choice
- Stir dry ingredients in a bowl. Cut in the butter (soft but not melted) and milk. If mixing by hand instead of with a stand mixer, it will seem dry. Keep stirring (don't add more milk) and it will eventually turn into cookie dough. Smush into a big ball, then break off dough and roll smaller balls. For soft cookies, cover and chill in the fridge at least 1 hour (overnight is fine). Preheat oven to 350 F. Bake cookies on a parchment-lined sheet on the center rack for 15 minutes.View Nutrition Facts
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @chocolatecoveredkatie on Instagram
More Vegan Recipes With Chocolate Chips: