Get two new free healthy recipes each week. Sign Up

What I Eat In A Day

When I published my first “What I Eat In A Day” post a few months ago, I had no idea what to expect.

So I was happily surprised when the post received such an outpouring of positive reader feedback, with many people writing in to say they loved seeing the example of how a vegan day in the life might look. As I mention in the first post, there’s no typical day for me, but the amount of food stays pretty constant. I’ve also never been one of those people who can go even a day without dessert!

If you missed it, the first post can be found here: Everything I Eat In A Day – Part 1

What I Eat In A Day

I wake up hungry and usually snack on a handful of nuts as I check emails, maybe post to Instagram, and make breakfast.

Today I also ate a few strawberries that needed to be used up. If I’m going running in the morning, I’ll make a cup of coffee and have a more substantial first breakfast.

That’s about 1-3 times per week, depending on whether or not I feel like running.

I’ll never again force myself to exercise if I don’t feel like it, after being an obsessive exerciser for years.

Anyways, no running or coffee today.

day in the life

Breakfast

Lately, I’ve been craving savory food for breakfast.

Today was two Homemade English Muffins–one of my favorite recipes in my new cookbook–toasted in the oven with organic vegan buttery spread, kale sautéed with olive oil and garlic, and caramelized cherry tomatoes.

It looks fancy, but honestly the tomatoes took under a minute to prepare, and all I did for the kale was throw it into the cast-iron skillet the day before and let it cook as I put my groceries away.

Lunch

Lunch was even easier to prepare.

Heat up some leftover Buffalo Chickpea Chili from the freezer, dice an avocado and throw it on top, and finish the meal by breaking off a piece of extra-dark (95%) chocolate.

My blog title really is a good name for me.

chocolate larabars

Snack 1

I always get hungry in the afternoon, and—surprise—it’s usually for chocolate.

Today was homemade cashewmilk and a Chocolate Brownie Paleo Bar.

cheesy broccoli rice

Dinner

Dinner was this Broccoli Cheesy Rice, also from the cookbook.

I added extra broccoli and served it with sautéed mushrooms on the side.

I could eat this meal every single day – it is the epitome of creamy comfort food.

Snack 2

Nighttime snack: Chocolate Peanut Butter Nice Cream

More creamy comfort food. And also more chocolate. Katies are simple creatures, and we know what we like.

That’s usually it for the day in terms of eating, but on this particular night I went out later and had a glass of red wine as well.

Daily Total: 3,003 calories

(As a vegan, I also take Vitamin B12 and Omega 3s each day.)

Link To The Full Nutrition Facts

Get Free Recipes

Don’t Miss Out On The NEW Free Healthy Recipes

Chocolate Covered Katie The Healthy Dessert Blog Recipes

Popular Right Now

Reader Interactions

176 Comments

Leave a comment or reviewLeave a rating
  1. Lori says

Seriously, I love your posts! Thank you so much for posting about what you eat in a day! It gives me some creative ideas. You are so awesome to open yourself up and share your personal life with us. LOVE this post!!!

2. HL says

I think it’s safe to say that each and every one of you has come together to culminate in what has to be the most annoying comment thread of all time.

3. Anonymous says

Hey Katie,
    Assuming you used to eat meat (sorry, I don’t know) how do you feel about vegetarian meat alternatives? I’ve noticed you don’t post any recipes with seitan/fake meat, and that’s ok. I was raised vegetarian and was always curious as to whether people not raised vegetarian/vegan use meat substitutes because they actually miss meat or just because they’re one more source of protein. I caved for the past year and ate meat because I was abroad, but trying to go back. So, just wanted to know your thoughts on fake meat–does it make you feel “slimy” because it’s probably so processed?
    Thanks!

4. Gypsy says

Thanks Katie, this is great! I love your desert recipes as I believe living a healthful vegan lifestyle with a healthy amount of exercise a girl deserves a little pudding!! I like fork over knives mantra where you eat a healthy unprocessed diet and no calorie counting.
    Keep doing your good thing. 🙂

• Jason Sanford says

Hi, absolutely! The bonus recipes are sending out automatically i a few hours to everyone who bought it in the past 24 hours. Or I can also send it to you manually if you need it immediately – what email address did you use to get the book?

Thank you so much for getting it!

Jason (media relations)

5. hatefuckwits says

How is this even still a blog? seriously, the photos are very old and she has a serious problem. I’d say buyer beware in a round about way.

6. Ash says

“Katies are simple creatures.”

????

Your jokes make for a delicious side with all of your recipes. And thank the lord! I have found that the majority of the millions of food blogs out there are either as exciting as watching paint dry, and/or you have an outpouring of verbal diarrhea to muck through just to get to the point (aka the recipe).

You seem to be so solid within yourself. True to you and being just the unique and happy (and simple) Katie that you know you are meant to be. Your honesty, goofiness, and chocolate madness are much appreciated! Muah!

7. JJ says

Thank you for this post, Katie. My daughter is barely 12 and has been struggling with disordered eating. We got your cookbook from the library, and she has deemed all of your recipes “safe.” I am THRILLED to be able to show her that her favorite foodie is eating about 3,000 calories a day. Thank you so much!!

(constructive criticism: in my position, it would be helpful to see some pics that show those nice healthy serving sizes.)

8. Clayton Davis says

I don’t get it. I’m fighting to loose that last bit of o belly fat eating around 1650 calories a day, and I’m a 6 foot tall guy. If I ate 3000/day,even with exercise, I’d be getting’ pretty fat.

9. Joiedevivre says

You are so beautiful, thin, and look full of life & passion! I went low-carb vegan for a week (as a fun challenge), and did a mostly alkaline diet after I was diagnosed with stage 3 breast cancer. I do not go a day without (sugar free) chocolate, either. I can’t seem to drop the weight I gained during chemo & I feel like I would gain weight on what you eat in a typical day… Looks super delicious, though! God Bless

10. Elizabeth says

Hi, On some of your recipes you indicate an alternative if one doesn’t want to use oil but on others you don’t. I read the food could turn out different but was curious what you would suggest if one doesn’t want to use oil. What ingredient should be increased? Thanks for your help. I am not much of a cook and have recently switched to plant based eating so don’t have a lot of experieince. Thanks for your help. I enjoy your webpage.

• Jason Sanford says

Hi! If she doesn’t have an alternative listed, it just means she hasn’t tried an oil-free alternative for that recipe, so you’d have to experiment at your own risk because she wouldn’t know how it might turn out. But edible experiments are sometimes delicious! What to substitute would depend on the recipe – in some recipes, you could sub applesauce, in others you can sub milk of choice, and others might sub peanut butter or something else. Hope that all helps, and definitely be sure to report back if you do experiment!

11. Catherine says

I just discovered your blog when flourless banana PB muffins showed up on my Pinterest feed & the texture looked right up my alley. Glad it did, it led me here and your recipes look fab, and I think I’ll be checking in frequently. I’m a fan of higher fat, moderate protein, low carb (not strictly Keto but maybe a half-a** keto).. My body feels good on that, & I see a bunch of your recipes that fit the bill. And chocolate. Need I say more. And you look great, your skin is so fresh looking! Always thought that was a good sign of a good diet. Thanks!

12. Gail says

You are my chocolate hero.
    I’m 60 plus years old and totally a fan of yours.
    My metabolism has “matured”, so I can’t eat as much as I did 40 years ago.
    So when I went to splurge in a chocolate sort of way, I head to your cookbook or your pins.
    Your amazing recipes never cease to amaze me.
    Keep on, sister!!!

13. Myrna Solganick says

Katie, you eat A LOT of calories. Most of us cannot eat that much. I myself try to stay between 1200 and 1500. You are a runner, so you burn a lot, and you are most likely a tall gal. It would be nice to have sample menus for us ordinary post menopausal gals who are trying to be healthy and either maintain or lose weight. Thanks!

14. Amy says

Hi! Curious question… This post mentions both homemade English muffins and the broccoli rice and when mentioned, you’re linking to the “Hello Breakfast,” cookbook. I recently purchased the Ebook, and neither of these are in there. Is the URL just wrong in this post? I realize this could also be a marketing thing like… “Hey, keep an eye out here for new books,” Which is awesome, just confusing. 🙂

• Jason Sanford says

Hi Amy! I am so sorry about that, you SHOULD have those recipes. They’re in the bonus pack that comes with the book. Sometimes it gets caught in a spam filter somewhere before getting to its destination. I’m sending it manually to you right now, so let me know if you don’t see it within the hour!

Jason (media relations)

• Jason Sanford says

I am so sorry about that, you SHOULD have that recipe. It’s in the bonus pack that comes with the book and has a few extra recipes. Sometimes it gets caught in a spam filter somewhere before getting to its destination. I’m sending it manually to you right now, so let me know if you don’t see it within the hour!

Jason (media relations)

15. Candice Frizzell says

Hi, I purchased your second book and can’t find the English muffin recipe. I’ve went through it a couple time and I just don’t see it. Help please!
    On another note, I love all your recipes and posts. 🙂

• Jason Sanford says

Hi! I am so sorry for the trouble – the bonus pack with a few extra recipes sometimes gets caught in a spam filter (I’m guessing) en route to its destination. I’m emailing you immediately, and let me know if you don’t get it within the hour!
      Jason (media relations)

16. Abby Balkus says

Everyone that is saying that that is way to many calories and that she should be gaining weight, she is VEGAN. It is known that as a vegan you have to eat a lot more calories.

17. Nicole says

Hey, I know this post is over a year old now, but just wanted to comment. The broccoli cheesy rice looked delicious so I went ahead and bought the cookbook….alas no recipe listed. I guess I should have known by the title of the cookbook. Perhaps that link use to go to another one of your books but with the time passed, it changed? It’s all very sad here in computer-no-cheesy-rice land, however I’m sure I’ll like many of the other recipes and am not unhappy with my purchase. =)

• Jason Sanford says

Oh you absolutely should have that recipe! And a few others as well – it’s in the bonus pack that should be sending out automatically with the book but sometimes gets caught in a spam filter en route. Sending ASAP, and let me know if you don’t see it within the hour!
      Jason (media relations)

18. Cait says

Okay, so…

I cut out most animal-based products from my diet a few years ago including all poultry, beef, pork etc. My mind and body thanked me, my tastebuds did not. Eating consciously and exercising routinely allowed me to shed 40 pounds (although I would actually attribute most of this to diet). As happy as I am with the physical changes I see, I miss my meat-based products/foods (or I did). I think a lot of people, myself included, believe that vegetable-based substitutes will taste the exact same as their animal-based counterparts. They might…. but likely not.

That being said, Katie has offered some great recipes here that really reinvigorates my love for plant-based dishes. Her recipe for black bean brownies is KILLER. I struggled not to eat the entire tray (Thanks Katie!)

For those who are experimenting with plant-based takes on traditionally meaty dishes… don’t expect the exact same flavour. The aforementioned brownies have a slightly different taste than your typical brownie, but my god, they are delicious.

Happy snacking! Thanks Katie!

19. Samantha says

Hi Katie! I only recently stumbled upon your website and have already made a couple recipes and read several of your articles. Thank you so much for all the hard work and passion you obviously pour into this blog – it made it so that I woke up this morning excited to find a recipe specifically on your blog to make today. I also love these What I Ate Today posts. Some of the comments are a bit off-putting but I just wanted to let you know that there are many people reading these articles who are appreciative of your openness, honesty, and desire to help others live healthy lives!

20. Anna says

The level of insecurity and ignorance on display in these comments is staggering. I wonder how many of these individuals go onto a body builder’s blog and take them to task because if THEY ate 8000 calories a day, they’d be dead… The human body is not cut and dry. It isn’t “calories in calories out” (please, for the sake of all things healthy get that noise out of your head) and it isn’t one size fits all. There’s a lot at play here. The obvious is that Katie has an aggressive metabolism. That boils down to a combination of genetics, your adrenal and digestive systems in general, and everything from what you eat to how much you work out. The reason some vegans, irregardless of metabolism, can get away with eating more calories? Higher quantities of fiber and complex carbohydrates like pectin and lecithin, which can block the absorption calories. Interestingly enough, many get the same effect from certain fat and protein profiles in ketogenic and carnivore diets. There is new research into weight loss and metabolism in the past year that I highly suggest anyone who doesn’t simply get a kick out of being a judgemental prick look into. Much of what we have been taught in the past has been disproved several times over and you readily can find the answer to why she can eat 3000 calories, but you can’t go over 1600

21. NickyT says

Wow, my 24 year old, 6’1″ vegan triathlete son in law eats 2800 calories per day and he probably has 60 pounds of muscle on Katie. He does he more on long training days, but on those days he is doing a 10 mile run or a 50 mile ride. Unless she can change the laws of physics or she has some type of metabolic abnormality, there is not one chance our very thin Katie can eat 3000 calories per day and stay that thin. Just sayin’.

22. Karen says

I followed the link for the cookbook to get the Cheesy Broccoli Rice recipe. It took me to your breakfast cookbook, which I bought, but after looking through it, I don’t see it. Help!

• Jason Sanford says

Hi! I am so sorry for the trouble, the bonus pack should have sent out automatically along with the book. Sending it manually ASAP, so let me know if you don’t see it within the next few minutes!
      Jason (media relations)

23. Karen says

She is beautiful !!! She’s eating a plant based diet and helping people make delicious food so they can also be healthy. No wonder she is gaining popularity and attention. Normal people appreciate beauty and kindness. Haters have evil and jealousy in their heart…so to see such a beautiful women have success hurts their soul. Sometimes stating the obvious is needed. So there you go.

24. Lex says

Although I’m sure Katie isn’t being intentionally misleading, I do think she has her “calorie count” off. Basing off of similar food calorie counts and portion sizes, I doubt the day she described is any more than 2,400 calories at most, unless she just ate really large portions of each meal. Because the food looks pretty much homemade, it’s easy to grossly miscalculate, under/overestimating the actual caloric amount. For the future, Katie, it might be easier to measure actual portions if you are incorporating calories into your post.