Chocolate Cookie Dough Product Review

The other day, when I spotted the new Larabar flavors at the store—chocolate chip cookie dough, chocolate chip brownie, carrot cake, and peanut butter chocolate chip—my hand involuntarily reached out to snatch them.

cdough1

(Well, I only got these two, so I did manage to not buy all the newest Larabar flavors.)

cdough

I love to make my own Homemade Cookie Dough Larabars, where I can put in extra-dark chippies and use whatever nuts I want (sometimes I like using almonds in place of the cashews). But then again, isn’t homemade always better?

As far as packaged bars go, I thought the cookie dough was Larabar’s best flavor yet!  But the brownie bar was seriously lacking in the chocolatey department. Jocalats are much richer. I ended up giving the rest of the brownie bar to my dad (who really would eat anything!) and took all of 5 seconds to make myself a different snack:

elvis

Homemade Peanut Butter Larabars

Question of the Day:

Have you ever tried making your own Homemade Larabars?

If so, what’s your favorite flavor? If not, you really should try; it’s super-simple, quick, and much less expensive than buying pre-packaged bars. Plus, you get to make up your own flavors! Best part!!

1. ruby red says:

I agree with you, although I liked the Choc Chip Brownie more out of those two. I love their Cashew Cookie flavor, so I don’t know what went so horribly wrong with the C. C. C. Dough! Part of the problem is it just doesn’t fresh – it has this “old” taste (even though they are brand new flavors!). I think homemade is the best way to go for these flavors! Low-quality chocolate ruins everything, even if they did use fair trade, taste matters too!

Can’t wait to hear more about the guy adventures! Oooooh la la!

2. Yes yes! I make homemade Lara bars, except in England, they’re homemade Nakd bars (Nakd do bars that are very similar to Larabars, which we don;t have here). I love them! It’s nice to gfive them my own flavours 🙂

1. Frankie says:

yay! thanks britchickruns – i’m in england too and have been wondering what this seemingly ubiquitous and essential larabar was “in english”!

As for putting something like this together myself, I semi-accidentally picked up carob powder whilst shopping today. Is this gonna be any use, anyone?! :S

1. Hmmm… I don’t know much about carob powder. Maybe you could use it like cocoa powder? Try googling “recipes with carob powder.”

3. I hate to admit it, but I’ve never had a Larabar!!! I know, I know, where have I been?! I’ll have to try one, so I can see if my homemade ones are similar! 🙂

4. Ilana says:

I haven’t tried the new laras yet but when I heard about them I thought they were so superfluous because of Jocolat bars! Whatever, yours look WAY better! PB+B=Elvis!!! Love it!

1. The chocolate Jocalats are so good that I really wonder why they even TRIED to improve upon them! Boredom?

5. Krystina says:

I’ve made my own before because spending over $1.00 for a bar made with just dates and nuts seems silly, but for some reason I’ve been wanting to try the new ones just because I can’t seem to find them! It’s like a challenge for me. I found the carrot cake yesterday and grabbed it right away.

1. Did you try it? When you do try it, let me know what you think, since that’s one of the flavors I left behind.

6. Yes! I finally made my own the other day. I used your site for reference but forgot to take pictures…so I couldn’t link to you.

I made peanut chocolate chip and “Cherry Pie!” My boyfriend loved them!

Thanks!!!

1. Aww you’re such a sweet girlfriend 🙂

7. Your bars ARE better, no question.

8. I just tried making some of your “babies” yesterday! I made a Pecan Pie flavor– and it was delish! I’d say they ARE better than the packaged version!

My favorite Larabar flavor is Gingersnap, so maybe one day I’ll try re-creating that! And I’m dying to try the new Carrot Cake flavor! (carrot cake is one of my favorite treats EVER!)

Thanks for the recipe ideas! 😀

1. Melissa says:

The carrot cake one is GOOD.
      The brownie wasn’t bad and neither was the cookie dough.
      Not amazing but not terrible. Too dry, for sure, and the brownie could have used more cocoa oomph. I thought the chips tasted fine, though. I ate them frozen so the texture of mine were obviously a bit different than folks who ate them room temp.

I agree that homemade are better than both those flavors.
      The carrot cake, though? Really excellent. Full of spices and soft and chewy. Definitely a winner.

I tend to like my babies with more dates than nuts so they are super caramel-like and chewy. I freeze mine and eat them “frozen” (since dates don’t ever truly freeze) so they are chewy chewy and like little balls of candy. I used about half the amount of nuts called for in Katie’s recipes, typically, so the Laras aren’t ever date-y chewy gooey enough for me.

The carrot cake, cherry pie and the coconut cream pie are my favs of the Lara Bars, probably due to them being so much more than just a date/nut bar… they’ve got other stuff going on and, now that I think of it, they are the softest varieties I’ve had. I like ’em CHEWY! 🙂

9. Fi says:

I WISH homemade was better, I am sure it is, but I am just unmotivated to make my own! 🙂 i like the idea of cookie douh/peanut choco chip bars though because we dont have anything like that here. My fave lara bar is pecan pie or pb and j, or the banana bread one (albeit a bit dense!) i DETEST the cinamon roll one!
    xx

1. Hahaha I detested that one too! But when I make my own cinnamon ones, they’re one of my favorite flavors. Go figure!

10. Jess says:

I have the new peanut butter chocolate chip, but haven’t tried it yet. That’s gonna happen this afternoon, for sureee.

11. I had to stop making homemade Lara bars because I didn’t exercise a whole lot of self-control around them. They’re too delicious! But I did discover another way of making them – replace half or all of the nuts with raw oats. That plain combo of oats and dates was my favorite.

1. Oats and dates? oooh that sounds like raw oatmeal cookies. I’ll have to try your idea!

12. Veggiesmack says:

I tried the peanut butter chocolate chip Larabar and really liked it, but the regular cookie dough was less impressive–Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Babies are much better. 🙂 I bet if I added some peanut butter or PB2 to the “dough” the Babies would come out tasting as good or better than the Larabar.

13. Erika says:

Thanks for the Larabar review – I have to admit I’ve been wanting to try some! (Never had them before!) Maybe I will make your homemade ones… 🙂

14. Justine says:

I still haven’t attempted fudge babies or home made larabars, and it is mostly the fact that there is so much fat in them. I know that it is all good and healthy fats, but I still can’t help but be a little afraid of it still. I’m sure they are to die for though!

15. Ooh, I didn’t even know about the new flavors, but I must try! Even though your homemade ones are better, I do like the convenience of throwing a wrapped Larabar in my purse for afternoon snackin’ at work.

Oh, and good call on the Elvis babies. Elvis Week in Memphis started on Sunday and runs through Aug. 16th, the 33rd anniversary of his death. It’s a huge big deal here … we have tourists all over the place right now.

16. Gloria says:

I made homemade peanut butter larabars from your recipe and loved them! I haven’t bought any larabars since. I like more nuts than dates – laras are just too sweet for me now! I’ve been anxious to try the new flavors, but your review just saved me the mucho bucks I would have dropped 🙂 I’m still curious about the carrot cake, though!

1. Me too! If you try it first, let me know!

1. Gloria says:

Katie, I just tried the carrot cake larabar. It was horribly sweet. I think it might have been the pineapple that did it. Bleh. It needs more nuts 🙁

1. Thanks for telling me! Makes me glad I didn’t buy one!

17. Meg says:

I don’t buy larabars anymore because I agree that homemade ones taste sooo much better! I’m glad you reviewed the new flavors because I contemplated buying them yesterday. I’m gonna trust your judgement and stick to making my own! (It helps that making your own is so much cheaper, too!!)

1. Definitely make your own! Especially where the cookie dough ones are concerned. They really do taste… stale 🙁

18. i can’t believe you found them!!! i’m not suprised that they are too sweet though! i thought it was interesting to see sugar as an ingredient 🙁 do you think this is because larabar was bought by general mills?? love the originals and yours though!!

1. Wow, I didn’t even notice that until you pointed it out! I never thought to *look* for sugar as an ingredient in a Larabar. I’d say that’s a letdown… but eh, I didn’t like the flavor anyways! I’ rather have a fudge baby bar with Ghiradelli’s 100% chocolate blended up into it. Cheaper, tastier, and more fun to make!
      Anywhoos, thanks for pointing it out!

1. Melissa says:

The sugar is just in the chocolate chips.
        Which makes sense to me, unsweetened chocolate chips would be sorta nasty/too bitter. Even my good quality, dark dark dark chocolate has some sugar in it. I don’t hold it against them. 🙂

1. I realized that after I wrote my comment. I don’t hold it against them either… unless I use 100% chocolate, my fudge babies have sugar too.

19. jodye says:

Homemade certainly is always better! I’ve done several riffs on homemade larabars, my favorite was made with dried pears, dried mangos, and of course, chocolate! Your peanut butter version sounds wonderful, though; I’ll have to try that!

20. Marianne says:

I still have not tried making my own Larabars…one day. I just need to break down and get some dates I guess. I’ll watch for when they are next on sale 🙂

I would like to try the new Larabar flavours though, just to give them a go. I’m hoping they make their way to Canada sooner rather than latter.