Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Cheesecake Pancakes

Cheesecake for Breakfast!

If the Cheesecake Factory and IHOP ever had a baby, it might look something like this:

pancakes sharper

My dad likes pancakes

And he absolutely loves my Blueberry Pie Pancakes.

So I knew that’s what I wanted to make for him on Fathers’ Day. (Yes, I still make him breakfast on Fathers’ Day. Even though I’m an adult, I’ll always be my father’s child. Therefore, every Fathers’ Day I’m lucky enough to spend with Dad, I’ll treat him to breakfast in bed.) Seeing as this was a special occasion, I didn’t want to make just any old blueberry pancakes…

pancakesfun

And so, I created cheesecake-topped Blueberry Pie Pancakes.

This breakfast came together in about ten minutes flat! I even squeezed in an 8-mile run and still got breakfast made before Dad woke up. (I mixed the dry ingredients for the pancakes the night before.)

Cheesecake Sauce

(Also known as “Cinnamon Roll Frosting”)

• 1/4 cup mori-nu silken-firm tofu (50g)
  • 3-4 tbsp cream cheese style spread (such as Tofutti non-hydrogenated)
  • 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 2-3 tbsp milk of choice (depending on desired thickness)
  • sweetener to taste (such as sugar, stevia, agave, etc.)
  • optional: feel free to blend in 1/4 cup berries

Combine all ingredients in your blender or food processor and blend until smooth. I used the Magic Bullet short cup. (If you have a larger food processor, you might want to double the recipe for better blending.) Makes about 2/3 cup.  This pretty much tastes like cream cheese frosting in liquid form. You might even try doubling the recipe and maybe even adding a 1/2 cup of fruit and extra milk for a fruit-cheesecake milkshake!

View Nutrition Facts

pancakes sharper

This sauce would also go well on my Healthy Red Velvet Pancakes.

Question of the Day:

Have you ever been to The Cheesecake Factory?

I’ve actually never eaten at The Cheesecake Factory. And I’ve only been to IHOP once (many years ago). I ordered crepes and excitedly dug into the mound of whipped cream on top… except it wasn’t whipped cream at all; it was sour cream!

1. I made blueberry cheesecake bars this weekend with similar ingredients!

2. I love cheesecake!! When I had Carter and was breastfeeding, I would eat a huge bowl of Breyers’ Strawberry Cheesecake ice cream every night. So. good. It has bits of cheesecake and strawberries AND pieces of graham cracker. So heavenly. I obviously don’t eat it that much anymore – but I like this healthier option and I KNOW you’ll be sharing a milkshake recipe soon – or at least one can hope :)

Cheesecake Factory is amazing – food is okay, cheesecake is outstanding. So many different flavors!!!! It’s really hard to choose which one to get. A good problem to have I suppose.
    Enjoy your day Katie!

3. Lauren says:

Yum, I bet your dad loved these! I tried to go to the Cheesecake factory on valentine’s day one year because they don’t take reservations, but instead there was a 4+ hour wait. No thanks, I can’t wait for food that long!

4. I LOVE Cheesecake. I also love Cheesecake Factory. I have one right by my apartment and my friends and I go fairly often (compared to other places downtown). Their bread is amazing. Especially the brown (whole wheat, maybe?). So good.

1. Jessica says:

It’s their pumpernickel bread and it’s amazing. Whenever I go there, I tell the waiter to only bring the brown bread. All they do is smirk and say okay – but they understand it’s sooooo good! Outback Steakhouse also has some amazing pumpernickel bread, which is on the same status I’d say.

5. Your dad is a LUCKY guy!! That sauce sounds AMAZING!! I saw some toffee vegan cream cheese once and I think that would be AMAZING in this sauce! Mmmmm…

I actually haven’t had cheesecake since I became vegan a while back! I definitely NEED to rectify this! 😛

6. Looks delicious! Some on your carrot cake pancakes will be good too!
    My favourite cake of all time is cheesecake, especially light Japanese Cheese cake. Those are soooo good!
    I heard yogurt can replace cheese in cheesecake too! Including soy yogurt. (Just a suggestion to cheesecake-deprived vegans out here!) 😀

7. I love cheesecake, and pancakes, this looks delicious. I also love the Cheesecake Factory, but I haven’t eaten there in aaages. I also don’t know if I’ve ever had their cheesecake… I think I was too overwhelmed with all the choices!

8. tea-bag says:

i’ve been to the cheesecake factory many times – they have some pretty healthy salad options if you know what to look for! i don’t like “american-style” cheesecakes, they’re far too sweet for me! i like european style, old-school cheesecakes that are more savory (and smaller!).

9. I’ve never been to the Cheez Cake Factory. IHOP yes though! I bet yours taste better than theirs though :) I do not like CheeseCake that much actually :O I know…but thats just me! The pictures look amazing though!!

10. Tara says:

I love cheesecake, but I can only handle a few bites since it is so heavy! Last night my mom and I split peanut butter chocolate chip cheesecake. I bet that would taste amazing in pancake form!

11. Those look so creamy and delish!

12. Lauren W says:

This is the perfect solution to a Ihop craving with all of the yumminess and none of the fake or bad for you stuff! 😀 Thanks for being a genius Katie!

13. Crystal says:

Omg, the title of this post alone was enough to make me start drooling. I want to dive into a stack of those….

14. kate says:

crap these look insane I love the sauce dripping down that is exactly my kind of pancake!

15. Ann Claire says:

Looks delicious, yours are definitely way healthier than ihop’s!!!

16. What a great idea! I love cheesecake!!!

17. Yum!! My dad and I had Chinese food, which was delightful! But I wish we’d first had blueberry pancakes … followed by Chinese.

18. hippierunner says:

I’m not a cheesecake fan but I bet your pancakes could convince me of otherwise! So sweet of you to make breakfast in bed for your dad; I wanted to do that but by the time I had woke up at 8, my dad had already ran 10 miles and showered!

1. Wow! Can your dad rub off on my dad? I try to get him to run with me… I succeeded once, and I took Henry too. My dad was tired even before Henry! And he never went again :(.
      My mom is hard to make breakfast for, because she’s an early riser too… maybe we need to get up at 3am???

19. Ohhh I am loving this recipe! Thank you for sharing! I am a HUGE cheesecake fan.

20. Leslie says:

Gorgeous! I want to drink it through a straw! Might just have to try your milkshake idea!

1. Leslie says:

And I NEED to make those pancakes too!

21. Sarah says:

Oh sweet lord I LOVE cheesecake and HECK YES I’ve been to the cheesecake factory :) Love it!

22. Oh.my.god. I need to make these. Maybe without the blueberries though- I’m not a huge fan. But, I could totally add chocolate chips! :)

1. Ooh that sounds even better than blueberries. Ok, I love blueberries, but really… can anything beat chocolate chips?!

23. I think I am one of those very few people in the world that DON’T like cheesecake!! GASP! I know right? I’ve just never been a fan :( But I do loooove pancakes so I am willing to try anything once!

1. LOL it seems like you’re in good company, judging by these comments!

24. Ragnhild says:

What a great start to the day for your dad, these looks awesome! I made your Blueberry pie pancakes for my friends- and they loved them! I guess a little cheesecake frosting wouldt hurt! Especially when it has tofu in it 😉
    Im not actually a huge cheesecake fan. Pre-vegan, I prefered brownies and chocolate over cheese- and cream- cakes. I have tasted a few raw cheesecakes that I have looved though, and I want to try out one with tofu too- just to check :)
    Have you ever made the cheesecake from The Candle Cafe cookbook? It looks delicious on the photo!

1. I haven’t! But I was lucky enough to try their homemade version a few years ago… for free!!! The waiter thought I was cute and gave the table free dessert! It was the best day :).

25. Ally says:

Hi CCK! My husband and I had a blueberry pizzert for our Sunday brunch and it was fantastic! I can’t wait to try the blueberry pancakes with the cream cheese frosting…your recipes just keep getting better and better! I had a question: I have 1/2 a dozen peaches sitting in my kitchen and was wondering if you had any ideas on how to use them? I am up for anything (i.e. peaches and cream oatmeal?). HELP?! :)

1. Hey Ally!
      Hmmm… you could always do a peach pizzert, or maybe even sub peaches in the pancake recipe? Or here are a few more (some of which are other fruits, but you can sub peaches)… I hope I don’t overwhelm you with links!

Fruit Crumble: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2008/05/10/peachy-keen-jellybean/
      Peach Oatmeal: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2008/05/11/still-in-the-mood/
      Peach Faux-Yo: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2009/01/12/and-so-begins-vitamix-week/
      Peach Cupcake for One: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2011/04/29/single-lady-cupcake-for-the-royal-wedding/
      Peach cobbler bars: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2011/06/05/raspberry-cobbler-bars/

26. M. says:

I stay away from Cheesecake Factory. Way too many calories for someone trying to lose weight! Your version sounds much healthier and just as delicious as IHOP, or maybe even more so!

27. Abby says:

Yum! These sound awesome! :)

28. Jenny says:

Not to be a hater or super negative, but… I hate cheesecake. I rarely say “hate” – it’s such a strong word – but it rather accurately describes my feelings towards cheesecake… Not too ironically, my first cheesecake was at “The Cheesecake Family”! I can’t remember what my family and I were having as our main dishes – my memories have been blurred because the end of the meal ended with CHEESECAKE. Ugh. My mom encouraged me to try it since I love cheese, and this was a cake… with cheese.

Um, well, my 11-year-old self thought “Okay… there’s no cheese that can’t be bad”. Wrrrong. I didn’t realise that cheesecake was made of the only cheese I dislike – cream cheese. Ick!

I think I’ll try your topping but omit the cream cheese and up the tofu instead… Otherwise, genius idea! And how sweet of you to still make breakfast for your dad. :) My Dad lives super far away, otherwise I think I’d want to do the same!

Have a great Monday~

1. Jenny says:

Hm, I dislike The Cheesecake Factory so much that I botched its name. Yes obviously I meant “Cheesecake FACTORY” not family. XD I would be so sad if my family were one of cheesecakes… I might actually not like my family members if that were the case…

1. LOLOLOL! I am glad my family isn’t made of cheesecake either (well, vegan cheesecake). I might have to eat them!

29. Awww how sweet of you to serve breakfast in bed to your dad 😉 I LOVE cheescake factory but not for the cheesecake – for the bread breakfast. They have the best bread ever. I’m not the big of a cheesecake fan but your pancakes look yummy.

30. Emilia says:

Those pancakes look fantastic, perfect for fathers day! Despite the yum-licious looking photo, I don’t like cheesecake. It’s rare that I meet a dessert I’m not a fan of, but cheesecake is one of them. I find it too rich for something without chocolate! Then again, I’ve only ever had cheesecake that tastes like soap.

31. Who DOESNT like cheesecake?! haha! Well..I can handle a bite or two before it gets too sweet for me unless it’s homemade and I can control the sweetness factor. In that case there’s no control. 😉

32. claudia says:

where can you find non-hydrogenated tofutti? at my grocery store they only have the hydrogenated kind :(

1. I actually find it at my regular grocery store, Kroger. But Whole Foods usually has it too, since they never sell items with hydrogenated oils. It comes in a yellow package, as opposed to the other one (which is white).

33. claudia says:

p.s. i seem to never be able to get my pancakes as fluffy as yours… any tips?

1. Use less liquid.
      I think I’m going to write a post about how to make fat pancakes soon! :)

34. Haha, I’m thinking the cheesecake factory and ihop produced one good lookin baby!

35. Vogelstar says:

Ok I will be getting some tofutti today. I would much rather eat these babies than the cholesterol laden stuff at the big chains. Ps I’m making more cookie pops – but I’m hiding this batch from the boy

36. I’ve just started following you and wow – where have you been all of my life! I need to make all of your recipes!! x

1. Aw I’m so glad you found me, Rachel! :)

37. Moni'sMeals says:

As someone who does not LOVE cheese cake, you sure make this look yummy!

I will try it out. :)

As far as IHOP, haha, I use to go there every day in HighSchool! oh memeories. :)

38. Michaela says:

aw, so glad u posted this recipe first :)
    I ADORE cheesecake! Me and cheesecake = ♥ One of the few dairy things I miss is one of my friend´s cheesecake. It is made with quark (containing only 0.1% fat), vanilla and cinnamon and tastes devine. But I think the only reason I miss it is because I have never had any vegan substitutes! Must try your recipe :)

39. oh delicious! i don’t know the last time i had cheesecake…gotta fix that asap! :)

40. I’ve been to Cheesecake factory once….all I can remember was that it was dark and loud, and the only thing I could remember seeing on the menu was pasta? And it was expensive? I don’t know, really…haven’t been there in so long!

41. Erin says:

Cheesecake for breakfast? I’m coming over

42. Beautiful pancakes and i love the topping!!!!!!!! YUM!! Glad that everyone’s prodding in yesterday’s comments made these the big reveal!

Do you like cheesecake? = ooooh yeah! Real cheesecake, raw vegan GF cheezecake, it’s all good.

And have you ever been to The Cheesecake Factory? = a zillion times and there’s one 5 mins from my house and it’s always PACKED. I have to walk past it on my way into the mall. I skip the C.Factory and head straight for Anthropologie, mac store, Sephora, etc. :)

43. Katherine says:

You always have such pretty pictures!

Do you ever just eat plain breakfast?

1. LOL yes! That is why I switched away from ever doing those “what I eat” posts. Well, that and the fact that I just hate doing those posts! I don’t bother to make my meals look pretty at all. When I’m hungry, I just wanna eat. I want food, not art ;).

44. Adam says:

these sound and look delicious!

before I went vegan i used to love cheesecake.. and yes cheesecake factory has excellent cheesecakes, and so many different varieties, that was the best part really, trying the different flavors.. I was never all that crazy about their regular menu items, all way too indulgent, especially considering the over the top indulgent cheesecake you’re likely to have when you go there lol

45. Gen says:

Yuum!!! Those pancakes look/sound incredible! 😀

46. emma says:

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!

47. I love cheesecake, but I think I’ve only had it a couple of times. And weirdly enough, I’ve never had the cheesecake at the Cheesecake Factory, but I have been there! Their food is deliciously the most unhealthy thing you could ever eat, so I don’t go there more than once a year.
    These pancakes look amazing! Do you think the cheesecake topping could be used to make mini cheesecake bites?

1. I bet you could! Just maybe double the recipe and leave out the nondairy milk… and then maybe freeze or put in the fridge? Or bake?

48. Sarah C. says:

ZOMG they look so good!

49. OMG that look so good! I think I would have that for dessert any day!!

50. There goes my egg-white omlette for breakfast tomorrow! haha

51. BroccoliHut says:

I’ll be honest, cheesecake is one of those desserts I just cannot get into!

52. OMG. Katie, you would freaking LOVE the Cheesecake Factory. Prior to my dairy allergy & going vegan, I was obsessed with one particular cheesecake from there:
    GODIVA. CHOCOLATE. CHEESECAKE

Feel free to shed tears of happiness

53. I used to not like cheesecake, and I still don’t really favor it but in the right recipe I think its wonderful. Its been years since I’ve had one but I got hooked on Dairy Queen Strawberry Cheesequake Blizzards (http://www.dairyqueen.com/us-en/eats-and-treats/menu/treats/blizzard/) – so tasty but so not healthy, and so worthy or a healthified makeover.

54. Nathalie says:

I enjoy cheesecake, but I’ll admit it’s not my first choice in flavors. But, reading this post, I was inspired to try making a breakfast NOT chocolate or carrot cake-themed. So I made lemon pancakes, with lemon mousse with frozen cassis (black currants). When I eat it at work tomorrow I’ll bring mah camera so I can take purdy pictures. I figure you wouldn’t mind more homage photography of pancakes =D

55. LizAshlee says:

Cheesecake…not my fav…I am a chocolate chip cookie kinda gal…well, brownies too…mmm…I don’t know…I guess cheesecake is not high priority…but I do like the sounds of your healthy version!

I have been to the Cheesecake Factory a few times in the past..not in recent years though…

Photo of you and your dad in the previous post is adorable…you look gorgeous!

Have a fantastic day!! :)

56. Oh man. You really know how to make food Katie!!! 😀

57. Kelsey says:

Do you recommend vanilla or original non-dairy milk? I know sometimes it’s better to use one or the other.

1. Doesn’t matter in this case. I used unsweetened almond breeze, but really anything will work :).

58. Kim says:

Hi! I’m in love with your desserts and am excited to try them as soon I finish this 10 Day Juice Fast I’m on! I’m mostly vegan but can’t do soy. Can I substitute anything for the soy in this icing?

1. Sorry, I’m not really sure… maybe some SoDelicious vegan Greek yogurt? It won’t be as thick… so maybe add a little arrowroot or cornstarch or xantham gum if you’d rather have it thicker?

59. Gabbie says:

Just made these oh sooo good they didn’t taste like a healthy pancake just delicious definitely a regular for weekend breakfasts

60. Kat Creamer says:

I made these last week. They were so thick and fluffy! I did a dance of joy while making them(I eat and cook)! I multiplied the recipe for my family to 5. We are no where near as skinny as you, so I will have to multiply it a bit more. My husband actually LOVED the cheesecake sauce. He insists it should be called vanilla ice cream sauce. I didn’t tell anyone what was in any of it till they ate some. “Oh, by the way, it is all vegan. The sauce? Yeah, it has tofu in it.” We had this for dinner, so sausage and bacon added to the plate to keep my carnivores happy. I have major desire to be a vegetarian, but I feel less meat in our diets would be a great thing. I am lactose intolerant, so there being no dairy in the recipes helps me immensely. I know that I will not need to alter anything else to make it taste like it should lol. Thank you soooooo much! I will be trying your sugar cookie oatmeal next, but with vanilla chai instead of the sugar cookie tea.
    Thank you chocolate covered skinny minny Katie!
    Kat Creamer

1. Awww this made me smile so much! :) :)

61. Eleanore says:

Just curious, what’s the benefit of having it be dairy-free? why not us regular milk and cream cheese

1. I’m a vegan, so I don’t eat those things. So I like to offer alternatives for people who are vegan or or people who would just rather not eat dairy, whatever the reason may be (health, ethics, allergies, etc.).

62. Samantha says:

Mmm, just made this with raspberries so its a really pretty pink color, tastes great! I’m going to drizzle it over your ultimate chocolate fudge pie for valentines day 😉 I can’t wait to put this masterpiece together!

63. Pam Spencer says:

I can’t eat anything with soy because it interfers with some of the medications I take. Any ideas on what I could substitute for the tofu?

64. Allyson says:

I just made the sauce for these and it is so good!!!! I made it without the tofu and I used non-vegan cream cheese. I also did maple syrup (no measurements) and the more I added the better it got! SOOOOOOOO good with your cinnamon bun baked oatmeal (boatmeal)!!!! <3 thanks for sharing all your recipes! Do you make them all up?

1. LOL yeah. That sauce was just a result of throwing some random ingredients into my magic bullet. I just kept tweaking the amounts until it tasted good :).

65. Lindsey says:

I made these for dinner last night and my husband said, “If it’s so easy and cheap to make things that are healthful and taste this good, why is everything in restaurants so crappy?” Sort of a philosophical backhanded compliment for you :)

66. Charlotte says:

I’ve wondered this for along time but is there any substitute for the tofu?

67. Laura says:

Whats the nutrition facts for this? Looks extra Yummy!

68. Chanelle says:

Wow! I just made this for my Deep-Dish Cinnamon Roll Pie that is in the oven right now and I can’t believe how amazing it is! I was a little nervous being that I don’t use tofu very often, but you really would never know that was the base of this. I used fat free cream cheese, 2 1/2 T unsweetened vanilla almond milk, and 1 1/2 T sugar… perfection. I will have to make more with the rest of my tofu for the Blueberry Pie Pancakes (one of my favorite recipes EVER)!

69. Chalynda Jackson says:

im confused, where’s the recipe for the pancake?

70. Chocoholic says:

What’s a replacement for mori-nu silken-firm tofu?

1. Jessica LeBoeuf says:

maybe beans like navy beans or chickpeas?

71. Christine says:

I love the Cheesecake Factory. I have tried many of their cheesecakes and my favorite is the white chocolate caramel macadamia with blondie crust! Maybe you can remake this one. Please!!!!!! (It’s on my bucket list to try every flavor! )Well…..we can’t be good all the time!!!

72. Priscilla says:

these were really good, thanks for putting up this recipeeeeee. ahhh soo good.

73. Laura says:

Can I substitute the mori nu tofu with any type of firm tofu?

74. Shannon says:

Very yummy recipe Kate, I loooooove pancakes, but don’t know quite how to cook them just yet, but still they were delicious. I am mostly vegetarian, so your sight is amazing. Thank You

75. Jess says:

Made this with egg&banana pancakes and it was amazing. And I was craving cheesecake so I made a single serve of it using this recipe but bumping down the milk and bumping up the tofu just a bit. Soooo amazing. You rock.

76. Isaac says:

Is there anything you could replace the tofu and cream cheese with besides dairy (I do not tolerate dairy very well). I love your recipes!