Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Hot Chocolate Cookies

Someone take this bottle of chocolate syrup away from me.

It’s getting out of control.

hot chocolate cookies

Really out of control.

Imagine: Cookies that taste like hot chocolate!

Melting slowly in your mouth like a truffle.

Like a rich, chocolatey truffle. And yet these hot chocolate cookies are healthier than you could ever imagine, with absolutely no added sugars. I think my dreams are made of these chocolate cookies.

Is it bedtime yet?

hot chocolate cookie

(Above, little balls of hot chocolate, waiting to jump into the oven… and then into my mouth!!)

Hot Chocolate Cookies

Loosely inspired by this popular recipe.

• 1 cup spelt flour or all-purpose (120g) (See below link for gluten-free option)
  • 2 T cocoa powder (or hot cocoa mix)
  • packed 1/4 cup pitted dates (45g)
  • scant 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 cup chocolate chips (170g)
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 3-4 T unrefined coconut oil

In a food processor, blend first five ingredients until dates are finely pulverized. In a separate bowl, combine vanilla, oil, and 3/4 c of the chocolate chips. Melt (I microwaved 1 minute, then stirred). Pour the dry ingredients, as well as the remaining 1/4 cup of chocolate chips, into the wet. Stir until evenly mixed, making sure to break up any big clumps. It’ll seem dry at first, but keep stirring until it all looks dark and shiny. Bake at 355 F for 7-8 minutes. (Take out when still undercooked, as these continue to cook as they cool.)  Note: I like Sunmaid dates, because they’re softer and less dry than traditional dates you find in health food stores. Your dough might be a little drier if you use other dates. It’s ok: just add a tiny bit more oil to compensate.

See the following link for a Gluten-Free Option.

How to store the leftovers: Leftovers? You’re funny! Winking smile

I broke in my new apron for making these cookies, a surprise gift from my host (Servint) after I won the Foodbuzz “Best Baking Blog” award.

By the way, if you ever find that your blog traffic has outgrown shared hosting, I highly recommend Servint for dedicated servers. The people there are knowledgeable and friendly—and they’re very patient with technologically-challenged bloggers like me! (Servint managers, if you’re reading this, Renzo and Russ deserve a raise. They’re the best!)

Full-size view:

P.S. I love how my hair looks when it’s curled, but I hate doing it. Can someone please invent a perm that gives you waves instead of frizz? (I got a perm once… yuck.)

Question of the Day:

Do you remember your dreams?

If I try to remember one as soon as I wake up, I usually can. But if someone asks me during the day what I dreamed about, I’ll usually have no clue. However, if I dreamed about these cookies, I bet I’d remember that! Mmmm hot chocolate dreams…

Want even more chocolate? Try my Frozen Hot Chocolate.

Tags: , , , ,

1. Silly! Who has leftover cookies (unless they overcook them and load them full of nasty stuff).

Hot chocolate cookies? Sign me up! I’ve told myself I’m only going to make ONE batch of cookies this year – and I’ve yet to decide what it will be. Maybe I’ll make two 1/2 batches instead.

So many cookies… so little time!

2. Frances says:

Nom. Mmm These look amazing!
    Have you ever thought about making a special vegan hot chocolate recipie for these cold winter days?

1. I should! I will put it at the top of my list, Frances! :)

3. Jade C says:

Ohh wow Katie!! Super chocolatey recipe!! I have been having a good day all day, doing Work Experience.. Until I missed my bus.. And the next one wasn’t for another hour and a half ((I live in a village))!! I’m super-tired, my back is a aching painfully and the house is empty.
    But I checked your site again ((3rd time today!!)) in search of those cookies you’d promised and now you have actually managed to cheer me up. :) :) . Thank you!! They sound so.. Comforting!! I love the sound of ” Melting slowly in your mouth like a truffle “, and the name, I’m now picturing myself snuggled ((love that word!!)) into a comfy armchair in front of a fireplace, just with the mention of Hot Chocolate. Thank you. Honestly. You have saved my day :) :) .

4. Amelia says:

Yuuum, I just might have to try these.

You should look into a permanent-wave; it’s different from a perm in that it uses larger rods.

5. Amelia says:

Also, do you have any pictures of them after baking?

1. I do… lol they were AWFUL to photoshoot. It was an ugly day and my lighting was so bad. But if you want them, I can email some of the rejects to you!

I really wanted to do a re-shoot, but I also wanted to get the recipe up before Christmas. 😕
      (The first photo in this post is of them cooked, but I know it’s not very clear.)

6. Crystal says:

They already did its called a digital perm … it gives soft bouncy beach waves an no frizz! my stylists raves about it!! I get the yuko system done on my hair (because its curly and i want straight) and my stylists always recommend the digital perm if I ever want to go back to curly without waiting for it to grow out!

7. Amelia says:

And also sorry, I don’t have any coconut oil.. all I have is canola or vegetable. Could I get away with canola oil?

1. I’m not sure… I think they’d work but the taste would be different. If you try it, let me know how they taste!!

8. Sarah says:

Katie, you are beautiful! This might sound like a weird q, but have you ever thought about modeling?

1. Sarah says:

Oh, and I will take a dozen of those cookies!

9. My boyfriend LOVES hot cocoa- I think these might have to make it into his stocking :)

10. Megan says:

I always thought a cookie that tasted like hot chocolate would be good. I bet it would be good with marshmallows inside too (less healthy though). This recipe looks great because lately I have been craving chocolate like no other! Regarding my dreams, I usually remember them. Does this mean that I woke up in the middle of REM? Who knows, there are so many dream theories out there! My dreams are always weird involving random people and imaginative happenings. Does that say something about me?! :-)

11. Sarah the official CCK drooler says:

I know there are a lot of Sarahs out there, hey what can i say, we’re the popular crowd – Just kidding. But i doubt they all drool, hehe. Anyway, i dream of the SAME thing every. single. night. Guess who? The Biebs. Ohh yes. of course, he comes in different situations, but believe me, he’s there. No wonder i sleep so long. Who wants to wake up to reality? :) Have a great day!

12. I got a perm once, where they used chemicals! The hair was kind of frizzy for the first couple of days, but after that, it was perfect! Maybe you’re using an unsuitable method to perm your hair due to your hair type.

13. jamie says:

I have a bunch of dates I need to use up ASAP- this looks like the perfect excuse :)

14. Oh my these look delicious! I totally agree about the curls… love the way it looks but when it actually comes down to doing it I get lazy quite often and pull out the flat iron instead as it only takes about 5 mins! I want to try the “sock bun” thing that I keep seeing on pinterest, apparently when you wake up in the morning and take it out you have beautiful curls :)

As for the dreams, sometimes I remember them and sometimes I don’t. I’ve thought of keeping a dream diary, but sometimes my dreams are so weird that I don’t think I could write them down!

15. Kit-Kat says:

You look really pretty, and the cookies look totally yum!
    I remember my dreams fairly well. Sometimes I’ll forget, and then several days later I will remember. It’s uncanny, because most of my dreams come true, so I get kind of freakish when I remember my dreams! :-)

16. Veganish says:

Yum, these look incredible!

17. wow these look incredible! and i know what you mean… i have to make new raw chocolate evry other day because i keep scarfing it all down haha!

18. Lena says:

Oh man… these look amazing! Seconding the question about subbing with canola oil, since I have no coconut oil. :(

And now that I think about it, I used to remember all my dreams but that actually hasn’t happened in quite a while… or at least not during the weekdays. Maybe when I wake up naturally (w/o an alarm clock) I do, but I’m not even sure! Aww. Remembering good dreams is awesome.

1. They’d probably work… but I can’t vouch for the taste. If you try them, do let me know how they taste!

1. Caroline says:

I just made them with canola oil, and it works very well! These are delicious, and probably the best recipe I’ve tried yet from your site!

19. Gastón says:

Everything (including you) looks lovely!!

As regards the hair, there already exists a way to have more or less permanent waves. They apply the same products as they do when they straighten hair, but instead of flat ironing it, they wave it. It lasts more or less 4 months

20. Tiffany says:

Yoou are so pretty!!
    Those look delish, and I will Try these after I try hot choc truffles that I found, all you do is drop them into milk and it’s hot cocoa! :-)

1. I saw that on pinterest! It definitely looks like a fun idea!

21. Isn’t it great when people hekp us with our tech troubles? I am certianly challenged in that area, as well. 😉

I can’t make those cookies. I mean, if I did, I’d eat the whole batch. So I should make them? Yeah, I should.

22. amazing Katie!! I love how addicted you are to chocolate – just like me :)

23. Christie says:

The apron is SO cute on you! I love that it looks a little ‘retro’, too. Keep up the GREAT work on your blog. I read it every day, and really enjoy seeing the latest recipes, every time you post…

24. Yum!! There definetly would not be any leftovers at my house! Love the apron :)

25. Amber K says:

They look delicious! Thanks for linking to a gluten-free option. :)

26. OH MY!! They look absolutely amazing (Or is it because I’m on a diet??) I can’t wait to try these!!

27. Brittany long says:

I bet your hair would work well with the sock bun method. Google it. The best tutorial is on YouTube by a girl named Loepsie ( I think that is the spelling—she’s European). It’s free, takes no time, and doesn’t damage your hair. I used to use hot rollers often, and this method has changed my life!!

1. Elizabeth says:

You beat me to is! I was just going to recommend the sock bun method!

1. I used to put my hair in a wet bun before I went to bed. I’d wake up with waves… but that was when I was in college and could only take a shower at night.

I’ll have to google this sock bun thing!

1. Susan says:

I have used the sock bun a few times, and it is so easy and works wonderfully! Plus, it really is perfectly comfortable to sleep with it in.

These cookies look incredible! I think they will be on my to-do list tonight!

28. Those cookies look so yummy! Can’t go wrong with chocolate!

29. Amanda says:

Haha, if I took the chocolate syrup away from you I wouldnt be able to control myself either. Yummy recipe!!

30. There is actually a way to perm your hair without it looking frizzy! I’ve never tried it, but here is a video of a gril who did:

31. mmmm I just recreated some vegan chocolate truffles I’ll be posting soon. SO good. But mine are much more sinful than this – I love that these are healthy and so low-cal!

32. Tracy says:

I just found your site recently and it’s awesome! My son is highly dairy allergic, and vegan recipes are perfect for that! I also love that you make yours healthier. Please please please post the peppermint bark recipe next! :-) I’m so excited to see how you did it!

1. Oh ok, if you insist. I’ll hopefully get that one up on Thursday!!

33. Moni'sMeals says:

This look highly addictive! That is a good thing. :)

I have the same apron! I adore it but never want to ruin it because it is so pretty!
    Great shot cutie. 😉

34. Denise says:

Beautiful recipe, and very cute apron! Dates as the sugar is a great idea, but seriously, it is the same as eating regular sugar, here’s a quote from an article I found:

How Nutritious are Dates?

“An ounce of medjool dates contains 19 grams of sugar and 2 grams of fiber. An ounce of honey provides 23 grams of sugar and 0 grams of fiber. Neither one is a significant source of vitamins or minerals. (Click the links to see the complete nutrition facts.)

Aside from a gram or two of fiber, a bar sweetened with dates is really not that much different from a bar sweetened with honey. Ask yourself this: If the bar were sweetened with honey instead of dates, would it be more sugar than you’d be willing to eat?”

I think it’s important for people to understand that the ‘Halo effect’ in things deemed healthy due to the lack of added sugar is misleading. You can still enjoy these in moderation, but don’t overdo it. I am sorry if I seem like a downer here, just wanting to clarify for people with either diabetes, or who are simply trying to limit their intake of sugars this holiday season.

1. Bridget says:

I agree and think this is an incredibly important point- esp for those who use the “no added sugar” label as a license to consume a lot more. Less refined sweeteners such as molasses, sucanat, rapadura, honey, and dates are better for you than white sugar because they contain beneficial vitamins and/or minerals (some more than others, it’s true). But they all still contain sugar! The main reason I use them instead of white sugar is because they are waaaay better for the environment. The refining process that produces white sugar takes a lot of energy and chemicals and leads to pollution and unnecessary fossil fuel usage. Artificial sweeteners and stevia actually do not contain sugar (but they can also take a lot of energy to produce, and I don’t like the taste, so I don’t use them!)

2. Oh no, you’re not being a downer at all! I actually agree with you… I even think white sugar in moderation (for people who don’t have health problems) is fine and no different than agave or honey. That’s why many of my recipes do contain white (or brown) sugar. But I try to offer an alternative now and then because I know a lot of my readers are staying away from refined sugars for whatever reason.

Thanks for the link and for taking the time to write out such a well-informed comment! And next time I will try to clarify in my post– I guess I meant that they’re healthier because they’re whole-grain and even with the dates they have less sweetener than your average chocolate cookie. But definitely, people with health issues (or who want to not consume too much sugar) need to eat accordingly. A treat is still a treat even when it’s healthier than normal.

35. Mmm these would make great cake pops I’d say! I’m thinking of making these as a gift for my friends and family for Christmas :)

36. Lauren W says:

These look fantastic Katie! But I must say, I really wish you had an actual healthy hot chocolate recipe right now. I’ve been craving it lately but none are chocolatey enough. Please help :)

1. I am putting it at the very top of my to-do list :).

37. Li says:

These look amazing, I must make :) I have a question Katie, this might be weird… but what do you do with your props or extras and things like that? Like in some photos you are pouring stuff on things, or have what looks like hit chocolate (?) as a prop in the background, what do you do with the items you take your beautiful pictures of? Sorry if this is weird, I am just curious about the “behind the scenes” stuff, that could be a really cool post to do too. Thanks for always being so helpful and of course for all of the awesome creations you make and share!!!

1. I have a little cabinet :). One drawer has ribbon, another has little trinkets, and a third has camera stuff. Then all my napkins are hanging together in the closet on a hanger. When I was living at my parents’ house, all my dishes were stacked neatly on a set of shelves in the garage… now I haven’t figured out a good place to stack them all yet! They’re kinda a mess :-?.

38. Emily says:

Can’t wait to try those cookies!

PS-try hot rollers. I was totally freaked out by them but they make my hair look AMAZING and it literally takes less than 5 minutes! Give it a shot!

39. Ooo- perfect for a day like today!

Wait- what am I talking about?!? Perfect for any day! :) Your apron is super cute- you totally deserved that award- and what a nice gift you got to celebrate!

40. Jeanna says:

Want curls with out the heat. Google sock curls, it’s awesome and it works. You look a little goofy while you sleep but wow!! Celebrity type curls with no heat damage when you wake up. Best of all the curls last all day!
    Can’t wait to try these, I’m dreaming of them already!!!

41. This is so weird but this post JUST hit my reader at like 815pm eastern time….normally I get them in the early a.m. But I digress…

The cookies…look wonderful.

And love your apron. Looks adorable on you. I have so many aprons that I never wear. Whoops! :)

1. Yeah lol aren’t bloggie troubles fun? Not so much…

42. Crystal says:

These came out so amazing! I did the gf version and, oh, so good! Melt in your mouth goodness!

I sometimes remember my dreams, but more likely if it was vivid in some way, like if it scared me or if I got emotionally attached to something in the dream. The ones that bother me I usually look up in a dream dictionary to figure out the meanings and it really helps me deal with my day.

43. I have the same apron! It’s one of my favorites.

44. I got that same apron for my birthday last year. love it!!

45. Bailey says:

We have the same apron! This is so crazy!!

46. I LOVE that apron, so cute! and I rarely remember my dreams. I know I dream, but I never know what happened!

47. courtney says:

yum, these look great! one question – don’t the chocolate chips mean there is added sugar?

1. You can use unsweetened or sugar-free chips if you wish. Sunspire makes sugar-free, and Ghirardelli makes unsweetened ones. Or you might even be able to use my hot chocolate butter recipe. Also, someone on my facebook page mentioned a brand called Xocal that’s sugar-free and apparently vegan too.

48. Alyssa says:

Must. Make.Those. Cookies!!!!!
    And I LOVE that apron!

I dreamed last night that I was one of the “Real Housewives.” Talk about a nightmare, lol!

49. These look insanely good. Don’t take away the chocolate syrup, whatever you do. It’s brought some amazing desserts!

50. Oh my goodness that is the cutest apron. It looks like a dress! On a slightly related note, I love your shirt underneath. I’m a sucker for baggy flannel :)

51. I usually remember my dreams, and they are always crazy! I mean CRAZY crazy!

Those cookies look delicious… Thank you so much for creating healthy baking recipes to share!!!

52. I’d like to stick my face under that dripping chocolate in the first picture please :)
    These look outrageous!

53. BroccoliHut says:

I always mean to start a dream journal…but I never get around to it. I almost always remember dreams if I am able to tell someone about it within the first few hours of waking up. I love to talk about them!

54. Aja says:

Yummiest cookies I have ever heard of! And your apron is adorable. i’m jealous.

55. Robin says:

These cookies look amazing.
    I do actually remember last night’s dream: I was visiting a haunted house, and was terribly scared, but I couldn’t get out because that was against the rules. Yikes!

56. Whoaaa these look DECADENT. I think I have to try these!

57. Albizia says:

If the dream is very weird, I usually don’t have a problem remembering it. Some dreams however disappear very quickly from my memories and leave only a lasting feeling of hopelessness and calmness at the same time and I have no idea why. But now I am dreaming of Christmas. And cookies. And Christmas cookies 😀 .

58. Rebeka says:

Im sure someone else has probably commented with this suggestion already, but I hear digital perms are amazing. They give you frizz-free waves. One of my friends gets them and her hair always looks so amazing!

59. Anonymous says:

I don’t like pitted dates:S Is their taste strong? Can they be replaced?

60. Nives says:

I’m not really fan of pitted dates:S Is their taste strong? Can they be repalced???

1. I’ve only tried them with dates. I don’t really taste the dates, though.

1. Lisa says:

I didn’t have dates so I subbed with a combo of other dried fruits and a little agave for my sugary friends. Worked perfectly and you don’t taste them :)

61. Cheryl says:

Hi Katie,
    I was wondering what I could use instead of dates, as I really do not like dates at all !! Would raisins work ?

1. I’m not sure… if you try it, please report back, as I’d love to know!

62. LizAshlee says:

Another delicious chocolate recipe..luv it! How do you like baking with spelt flour…is it similar to any other flour? Thanks!

1. It’s pretty similar to ww pastry :).
      I like it because it has a light taste for a whole-grain flour.

63. I agree, your hair looks bomb dig girl! haha
    Can’t wait to try these cookies!

64. Emilia says:

These look amazing! I love the idea of baking them, genius. Not to mention, cooking with dates is always fun. I sometimes remember my dreams, depends on how weird they are!

65. Just pulled these out of the oven! The whole house smells like chocolate! Yum!

66. Ann says:

Thank you for your gift ideas. I always make treats as presents for friends, teachers, etc, but this yr because of major dietary restrictions I won’t be making my usual way-too-many-batches of various candies, so I am thankful for my fav blogs ideas. Unfortunately I still will have to abstain as I wont make others suffer by eliminating all the sugars in your recipes ( as I have been doing for myself with pretty good results!). This yr I am giving the gift of good health :)
    I also have the same rule as you–to get rid of something when I buy something new. That reminds me that I still need to clean the closets…
    Off to make a pizookie for dessert with the in-laws tonite. Thanks! Ann

67. I love the apron! And the cookies look great too.

Dreams? I hardly EVER remember them. And when I do they’re always weird.

68. Mmm Katie just made a single serving version of this, because I knew I’d end up eating the whole batch!

They turned out delicious :) And for those asking, I don’t taste the dates at all, and I really don’t like dates!

69. Ellie says:

Put your hair in a sock bun for effortless curls!!! I hate curling my hair too but one day I stumbled up on this youtube tutorial for the ‘magic sock bun’ and it makes the prettiest most natural looking curls just from sleeping with your hair rolled up in a sock bun!!! The best part is all you need is an old (clean) sock!!!!

70. Trish says:

I just made these and they are soooo good! This will definitely be my go-to chocolate cookie recipe from now on. I love that they take so little time/effort to make! I can’t wait to try a batch with a little bit of peppermint extract, another batch with some chopped nuts, maybe even peanut butter!

71. Jess says:

Yummy! Can’t wait to try these- I am so glad to have found you and your delish desserts- your pumpkin pizookie was a HUGE hit at Thanksgiving!

Also, for curls- try foam rollers… $10 at any store, you can put them in at night and in the morning- voila! My hair NEVER holds curl and I did this last weekend for a Christmas party- the curl lasted 3 days!

I think several people have mentioned curl options- if you try any of them, please post pics of your adorable self!

72. Lisa says:

Dear Katie, this recipe sounds awesome, definitely going to try it. However, I am interested in your general opinion on coconut oil. I am somewhat critical about it for several reasons and the supposed health benefits. Coconut oil is extremely high in calories and consists of highly saturated fats. The amount of medium chain fatty acids (which seem to be healthier that longer ones) is quite low. Also, coconut oil has some environmental disadvantages, like long transport and rain forest plantation.
    I am not an expert, so I am curious about your thoughts.
    Thanks for the recipe and your great blog :)

1. Hi Lisa,
      I am by no means an expert either ;).
      But I do know that the saturated fat in coconut acts differently from the saturated fat found in animal products. If you’re interested, there’s a TON of research online if you google “health coconut” or another search term like that.
      No, I don’t think it’s a wonder food or anything… like anything else, I just think it’s fine in moderation.

1. Lisa says:

thanks for your fast and sweet reply. i totally agree on anything is fine in moderation :) fyi: I subbed the coconut oil with vegan butter and the cookied turned out great. I think subbing them with a solid fat works better than with a liquid one…

73. kayleigh says:

Thank you so much for writing this blog!! You save my life constantly. I tried making these cookies..they were very delicious but mega grainy.
    Any suggestions? I used GF all-purpose and some oat flour.

1. Sorry, I’ve never tried these with a gf blend. I don’t know much about gf baking, but I know that unless you use something like xantham gum, it can often be crumbly.

74. Rebekah says:

These look awesome! I was looking for a hot chocolate cookie recipe and I think this is the winner! I’d love to make this for my potluck this week – about how many cookies does this recipe yield?

1. Hmmm… I guess it depends on how big you roll them. I actually forgot to count how many I got… and I also ate some of the raw dough. I’ll have to make them again and count this time!

1. Rebekah says:

I just made a batch! It didn’t yield much – about 16 balls (that I dropped into a mini-muffin tin, so approximately that size). They were so very easy to make! I was intimidated by the dates – I had never tried one before tonight and thought it would be a huge hassle, but now I LOVE THEM! I’m so glad I found your blog. :)

75. MK says:

Hi Katie!

Just got back from a trip to Whole Foods and I cannot WAIT to start making some of these recipes!
    I actually stumbled onto your blog while (not) studying for finals and for the last TWO WEEKS nearly every minute of my very limited free time has been spent looking through your posts! I absolutely admire your ingenuity!! ^_^

Btw, as for the perm, have you ever considered getting it done at an Asian hair salon? I usually get all my hair treatments done in Asia (since it’s way cheaper) but most Taiwanese or Korean salons here use similar solutions that yield pretty awesome results!

And I usually don’t get enough sleep to remember any of my dreams the next morning…. :( Lucid dreams don’t count lol

1. I hadn’t thought about that! Thanks for the tip!
      I used to love getting haircuts when I lived in China… they always massaged your head for like ten minutes. :)

76. Sarah Spencer says:

Just made these and they were delicious. Next time (there will be a next time) I make them, I will add 4T instead of 3 of the oil as mine were a tad dry. Or perhaps an extra date or two will do the trick.

1. Anonymous says:

I had this same result! I’m thinking one more date is the solution. I used organic medjool dates which are pretty big, but using only 2 felt weird to me.
      Hope you mastered the recipe!

1. Hi Sarah and anon!
        I’m so sorry the cookies were too dry for your tastes… maybe it has to do with the dates you use? I use Sunmaid, which are SUPER-sticky and moist, unlike some of the harder varieties you find in health food stores. But now that you’ve pointed it out, I’m afraid a lot of readers will probably be using the drier dates. I’m editing my recipe to hopefully fix this problem! Thanks for the feedback!

77. Sondra says:

How many cookies does this make?

78. Sarah R says:

Hi Katie,

What else can you use besides coconut oil and almond milk? I just found out I am allergic.

79. Kristal says:

Cookies look wonderful… I have a hot chocolate cookie recipe, but it is NOT healthily LOL.

On the curls – my daughter has perfectly straight hair and we get curls by rolling it in socks or t-shirts pieces before bed. You can spray it to get it a bit wet before rolling. Wake up, take out, and you have curls. Youtube has some great videos on it.

80. Amy says:

Your recipies look yummy, but I was really wanting to let you know about the sock bun. You should google it. It curls your hair while you sleep. It works for real! I love the idea of hot chocolate cookies.

81. Rana Short says:

I just made these today for the first time, but certainly not the last time! These cookies were unbelievable. The dough is highly addictive and the baked cookies are awesome too. I’m hoping to keep one aside to see how good it is tomorrow and I have one in the freezer, hoping to try it in a week – don’t have high hopes of keeping these two past tonight, to be honest with you. Thanks for all your hard work to make it easy on the rest of us to get our chocolate fixes.

82. Jade C says:

Heeeeyy Katie!!
    I have made these as cookies and froze them for a Christmas get-together. Um, small problem – they were still rock-hard when defrosted!! So I won’t do that again, especially as they are too good straight from the oven anyways – like a rich, edible hot chocolate!! The whole chocolate chips are melty when you bite into them and the rich chocolatey taste is so good!!!!
    Well, I am making them tomorrow night now, for Valentines Day – but instead of rolling them into balls, I’m going to use my new heart-shaped ramekins!! I tested them out like this the other day and it worked!! I will let you know how they turn out when they are made, will post pictures on my blog too, if I remember!! I was hoping to serve these with some ice cream, but I have no ice cream maker, nor a vita-mix, so I might make a quick banana soft-serve – if my bananas are brown enough, that is!!
    Take care, Katie,
    Jade C.

83. Sondra says:

I was wondering how many cookies does this recipe make? Is there anyway you can post the calorie and fat content? I know that you usually don’t count either of these, but unfortunately I have to watch both due to my PCOS worsening. If you could post it that would be wonderful!

1. I don’t have the nutitional info for these. However, starting a few months ago, almost ALL of my recipes now have full nutrition facts listed. :)

84. Kellie says:

HOOOLY COOKIE CRUMBS! These cookies are AMAZING!!! I never leave comments but I just couldn’t keep my mouth shut (pun intended) after baking these LITERALY! I tried to make these for some kids at church tomorrow but I eat HALF the dough before I could even get them into the oven! Then my husband stole one piping hot and that was the end of that c(o; I guess its apples for the kiddies then ha ha! Thanks a million billion for our new favorite treat!

1. Aww thank YOU for such a sweet comment :)

85. Rachel says:

I’m a fairly new fan of this blog (Hi, Katie!) and I just made these cookies. I know it’s a little late in the game, but I wanted to chime in with my review. I notice that most of the comments following a recipe are comments on the photos or the blog (all very positive and totally legit!), but sometimes I just want to hear if people have tried the recipe and how it turned out for them. So here goes: these cookies turned out super chocolately with a delightfully crumbly and melt-in-your-mouth texture. I made them for my kids to have a healthier cookie option, and I am having trouble sharing! Warning: these are addictive and crumbly enough to leave an incriminating trail of itty bitty chocolate crumbs when I try to pull off my “sneak a half of cookie on the sly” trick. Thank you, CCK, for an easy, fun, and yummy recipe!

1. Thanks, Rachel! :)
      I agree with you. I like to read real reviews… usually on my posts if you scroll to the bottom portion of the comments, that’s where you’ll start to find reviews from people who have actually tried the recipes.

86. MK says:

Can you use prunes instead of dates? I figure, they’re sweet as well. What do you guys think?

1. I haven’t tried… but I’d love to know if you experiment!

1. MK says:

Just made these and they turned out AMAZING. Like I mentioned, I didn’t have dates on hand but had some pitted prunes instead. I used 1/4 cup (like the recipe) and blended. I didn’t have any unrefined coconut oil but I had some organic virgin coconut oil from Trader Joes instead. I used a little less, about 2 1/2 T. I followed the rest of the recipe as directed.

MY GOD. So delicious! These literally MELT in your mouth. They’re not overbearingly sweet but they are so rich and decadent. I think the cocoa powder/chocolate chip mix is genius. So so sooo good!! My roommate loved them as well. I’ll definitely be making these again.

I’ve made a couple of your recipes (first time commenting though) and I think these and the Polka Dot Banana Bread are hands down my favorite. Thanks! :)

1. Oh goodness, I might just have to try your version now!

87. Rana says:

I just made this cookie yesterday as a base / crust for your Chocolate Bar Pie and it was great! I made a half batch of them and ensured it was well spread out in the pie tin, baked it at 350F for 8 minutes, cooled completely and poured in the filling, fridge to set. We loved it!

I have made these cookies several times as cookies and they are a delight. I love the shortbread cookie texture I’m getting and the addictiveness. Also fun is the fact that I am making cookies without using refined sugar (white or brown). Bonus points for mama there!

Thanks again.

88. Dawn says:

Fantastic cookies! My only problem with them is that the dough tastes so good it was hard to get it all on the pan to be baked!!

89. Tory says:

Do you have different options for oils, or just use to an extra virgin or a vegetable? I have severe tree nut allergies and therefore can not use coconut oil.
    You generally have an alternative for the flours…

1. CCK says:

Sorry, for this recipe I have only tried coconut oil, so I don’t know if anything else will work.

90. Josephine says:

Hey Katie :) Those look amazing! Do you know that no-heat curling trick for nice curls over night? You just take a headband and wrap your slightly damp hair strand for strand around the band until it’s all around your head in the headband. Looks kind of like a greek goddess. Then you sleep like that and in the morning you have beautiful curls! :) Seriously, look it up and try it out!

91. Laura says:

I finally made these and they are amazing! I can’t believe it took me so long. I didn’t have any coconut oil so I subbed smart balance light and it gave them a nice buttery flavor. I also used oat flour instead of spelt and I didn’t fold in any chocolate chips; they were quite chocolatey enough. 😀 The dough was even better than the baked cookies. I was thinking of trying them again with a peanut butter variation, peanut butter instead of coconut oil. Yumm.

92. Boo says:

Has anyone had success making these with GF flour? I tried the GF alternative recipe and, while lovely, it was a very different product. These are my favourite thing to eat in the universe, and
    I miss them now my husband is on a gluten-free diet!

1. CJ says:

I made a batch over the weekend with GF flour because I felt the same way as you after making CCK’s GF alternative. The resulting cookie definitely had the melt-in-your-mouth effect that I love in hot chocolate cookies, but I could detect that aftertaste that I always seem to get when using GF flour. I used 1 c of Bob’s Red Mill GF all-purpose flour and added 1/4 tsp xantham gum. The two GF people I made them for (my niece and my sister) both loved the cookies, though, so maybe I’m the only one who got the aftertaste–or they’re used to it.

93. Leigh Benigni says:

Can I substitute Amaranth or Arrowroot powder for the Spelt flour?

94. Kim says:

Yes, you can get a perm w/out fuzz. You ask them to use the giant perm rods. They will be the diameter of a quarter and give you loose curl on your ends if you let you end air dry or use a curing iron on them when dry. These will last much longer than non-permed hair. Feel free to ask more questions if you need help w/you hair. : )

95. Sara Sälde says:

Yum yum! Katie for president, you just made my monday night so much better!

96. CJ says:

I just had to officially thank you for this recipe. I’ve made these cookies several times now, but what beats all is that my son requested them specifically to bring to school to celebrate his birthday. This is the first year that we’re in a school where homemade treats are allowed, so I asked him what he wanted me to make, thinking that he’d say a certain flavor of cupcakes (since I’m known for my cakes and cupcakes). Nope; he wanted hot chocolate cookies for the class. I’m going to quadruple the recipe to make sure every student gets two cookies–it will certainly be a lot easier and faster to quadruple this recipe than bake and frost cupcakes for the whole class :)

97. CJ says:

In case anyone is very sensitive to the coconut flavor, you’ll be happy to know that the above recipe works well with canola oil instead of coconut oil (same amount). I didn’t intend to make the substitution, but I ran out of coconut oil for a 5th batch that I needed to make … and it was too late at night to head to the store. Texture and deep chocolate flavor is the same; just no coconut flavor with the chocolate.

98. Gigi says:

These taste amazing! I just made them today and we are trying not to eat the whole batch. The only thing is the dough came out a little crumbly and so the cookies are a bit dry. Any ideas on what I can add to moisten them up a bit? Thanks!

1. You could use a little extra of the coconut oil.

99. Jasmin says:

I love these cookies!! I made them for a third time and I’m giving them away as a Christmas gift. This is one recipe of yours that I always come back to Katie! And as a bonus…. it’s posted on my birthday!

100. Lena says:

So I’ve already commented on these before, but it was before I made them, so I just have to comment again to say that these are my favorite cookies ever. Absolutely ever. I’ve only made them twice so far (probably because I’m always out of spelt flour… and I usually don’t have coconut oil) but they have been so incredibly delicious. I usually try to avoid recipes with a lot of chocolate and oil (trying to stay low calorie/sugar and those kind of make it hard) but these are absolutely worth it. Plus I kind of get to soothe my conscience with the spelt flour and dates, a little bit. But they’re just so moist and rich and chocolate-y and the chocolate chips added in at the end really make a big difference. If anybody’s reading the comments and contemplating if to make them or not, definitely make them. So so so good. Gah.

101. Lori says:

I added some dried cherries to the mix. They came out delicious!

102. Michelle says:

Do you know how many calories are in these cookies? I really want to try them, but I am trying to lose weight, so I track my cals every day or I over indulge.. very easily. I am so excited to have found your recipes!! They will help to keep my sweet tooth happy while I am trying to get my girlish figure back! 😉

1. Unfortunately, I don’t. All of my recipes as of 2012 (I think) have nutrition labels, but not the earlier ones.

103. JC says:

Wow! These are great- yesterday I used dark cocoa & topped w/a bit of kosher salt.

104. Ainsley says:

These are honestly the BEST cookies I’ve tried (although your flourless choc chip cookies are pretty fab too). Any idea what the nutritional breakdown is on these ones?

1. Ainsley says:

oops sorry, I just saw that this question was already posted.

105. Andi says:

Hi! All these recipes look amazing!!!
    I have a question for you… what type of chocolate chips are your favorite??

106. Jackie says:

I have been wanting to make these for a while and OH MY they did not disappoint!!! Exactly what I needed tonight- so simple, quick, and yet decadent. You are the best!

107. lisa says:

I almost always forget my dreams! Lol. But I had this one about one week ago that is like creepily haunting me /:-). I was chosen to play in the Hunger Games and while I coming to terms with my imenant death, they called the boys tribute. To my horror the man that I (IN REAL LIFE love, but am friend zoned with) is called and I start sobbing uncontrollably. Then I woke up in a sweaty panic. Relief practically swept over me! Then I remembered that I was (and am still) friend zoned. . .big time.

108. Tara says:

I LOVE YOUR BLOG. I made these today and they are sooo good! My new favorite recipe! And can I just say, you are so gorgeous, you look just like Rachel McAdams :)

109. Bianca says:

Quite honestly, I thought the cookies were going to be a flop. I was trying to follow “Mix It Up”‘s post about this recipe, in which she used half the chocolate chips you listed. I tried that, and the batter was basically lumps of flour. Panicking, I added another half cup to salvage the situation. The batter was extremely dry and crumbly, so I added some milk to try and moisten it. It worked… Kind of, since it was still crumbly. I gave up and shaped them into balls, then baked them as directed. But SURPRISE! The cookies came out tasting fine, if a little dry, and are so much like your Double Brownie Cookies. Next time, I will definitely follow your recipes as written, or make as little changes as possible. (For anyone interested, it was 91 cal each for 23 cookies made with all-purpose flour and an extra T of cocoa powder.)

110. Ashley says:

These sound delicious! How many cookies does this recipe make?

111. julia tessitore says:

do i get the spelt flower from african

112. Luis says:

Hello Katie,
    Thank you so much for posting this blog. I work in a library and have been nominated to come up with a Valentines Day dessert. This is perfect, especially since I’m vegan.

Greatly appreciated.

113. Lauren says:

Hi Katie!

I know you posted this recipe years ago, but I just recently found your blog and I am addicted! Do you know how long these cookies stay fresh for? Or are they freezer friendly? I made a test batch and they didn’t last longer than a day-but for the next batch they would need to last a few days!

114. Leah says:

I made these tonight with whole wheat flour and my 7 and 5 year old boys love them!

115. Samantha says:

Oh my goodness! I have made these cookies twice now and they are just way too good! They are deliciously dangerous! The first time I made them they lasted a day and this time I quadrupled the batch in hopes they can last until Christmas. Thanks for such an amazing recipe.

116. teensforpeace says:

Hey all! Can you skip the pitted dates on this? Or do you absolutely need them? Thank you!

117. Meagan says:

I finally got to make these today because my store is always out of dates. My only regret is that I am home alone and I need someone to stop me from eating the whole batch!