Chocolate Silk Smoothie

This is one thick smoothie…

strawberry protein shake

It’s so thick you might want to skip the glass… and use a spoon!

Chocolate soup?

strawberry protein shake

Meeting my vegetable requirements for the day is never a problem. (Sometimes I have to make sure I don’t get too many!) Therefore I don’t normally seek out fortified products like powdered vegetable drink mixes. But when the Barleans company asked if I wanted to test their new Chocolate Silk green powder… well, they did say the magic word:

Chocolate.

And I do love the company’s Chocolate-Raspberry Sauce.

So I agreed to give the chocolate powder a try. This powder really is good… and it passed the roommate test as well. Do I think it’s wise to substitute powder for actual greens in one’s diet? Probably not; but with antioxidants, probiotics, fiber, and protein, this mix would be great for someone who routinely falls short on the recommended servings of leafy greens. And it’s also great for someone like me—who couldn’t care less about the nutritional benefits and just enjoys the chocolatey taste.

strawberry protein shake

As stated earlier, this recipe makes one really thick smoothie!

Chocolate Silk Smoothie

(Serves 1)

• 1 cup frozen strawberries (or other berries) (150 grams)
  • 1 heaping tablespoon (6-8 grams) Chocolate Silk greens (Or you can use regular cocoa powder, and add sweetener to taste.)
  • 3-6 tablespoons milk of choice (or even more, depending on whether you want a drink or chocolate soup!)
  • 1/16 tsp salt

Combine everything in a vita-mix or high-powered blender, and blend until smooth. Note: The recipe will be darker (and thicker!) than in the photos. The photos are of the powder mixed with almond milk, because I only made the strawberry recipe yesterday and didn’t have time for a photoshoot. But I still wanted to post the recipe along with the review of the Chocolate Silk greens.

Chocolate soup > chicken noodle!

(Is there a math symbol for “way greater than”?)

I think it would be really good in my Hot Chocolate Cookies!

Tags: , , , , , ,

1. Ann says:

I’ve recently cut out dairy for breastfeeding, but have had a serious need for chocolate in my life. This is where you come in! I have a list of to-make recipes now to get me through afternoon sugar cravings!
    Anyway, my favorite green vegetable is broccoli! Or spinach. Or kale. Or asparagus…

1. Mackenzie says:

I had to go dairy free for the same reason! It is hard not to fall off the wagon, especially when my son’s dairy sensitivity was extreme (i.e. I had to read labels to make sure there weren’t any trace amounts of hidden dairy anywhere!) Kudos to you, I wish I had found this blog while I was strictly dairy free, even though the only thing I still eat that is dairy is cheese now…

2. Steph says:

I love spinach! It’s great with anything savory and also in juices! I think I’d use the powder in my late night snack shakes so I don’t eat anything TOO heavy close to bed 😉

3. Sara says:

I love spinach! But also asparagus, green peppers, kale… it’s hard to pick just one.

4. Rachel says:

Fav green vegetable is probably green beans — cause they are delicious raw or cooked:) Although I like all green veggies…

Ps. “Way greater than” math symbol is: >> As in, chocolate>>anything else :)

1. s says:

spinach is probably my favorite green!

and yeah rachel’s got it on the math symbol thing :) the ‘way greater than’ symbol is one of my favorites … especially when used in ridiculous ways like orange juice >> life.

5. Shannon says:

I eat an obscene amount of spinach. I’m going to turn green soon.

6. I love leafy spinach. It’s great in a salad, soup, or smoothies.

7. Caroline says:

I love spinach!

8. Evana says:

I absolutely LOVE asparagus!!!

9. kaity says:

broccoli and peas! yumm and id use this in my smoothies every morning def would love some extra chocolate! and even try them in some desserts, my fam could use a lil extra boost of vegetables:-)

10. Rebecca W. says:

My favorite green veggie would have to be okra…i don’t think it would taste very good in a smoothie through :(.
    I would love to try this stuff out! Chocolate AND veggie nutrition…thats just too great to pass up!

11. Suzanne Wirth says:

I have to admit, I don’t usually fall short in the green veggie dept…LOVE lots of them. Of course, I’m not going to skip the chance to eat chocolate instead. 😉 However, for the purpose of this post, my favorite, currently, is spinach. 😀 Mostly because I just discovered a cookie shortbread recipe that uses spinach to turn the cookies green! Yes, you read that correctly. lol Gotta love St. Pat’s day! 😀 Oh ya, and GO CHOCOLATE! 😉

12. sarah s says:

green smoothies made with spinach is tried and true for me, it works every time if i haven’t fit in enough veggies for the day!

13. Brooke says:

i <3 spinach

14. Megan says:

Love asparagus!! When it’s in season it is aaaahmazing ! :)

15. Aly says:

Aaaa! This looks delicious…it’s so hard to pick my favorite green vegetable, but I’ve always been madly in love with broccoli. Ever since I was little, I always loved the “trees”…it didn’t hurt that my dad always cooked them to perfection. Hope I win!

16. jessica says:

favorite green? KALE of course :) and i love kale in smoothies so much that i would PROBABLY add kale to the blender when i win this chocolate silk powder! well… hopefully, that is 😉

17. Christina says:

My favorite is spinach. So versitile and healthy :) And I’d use the Greens chocolate silk to make THIS green silk smoothie… and probably in every other smoothie! (You just cant go wrong with chocolate and greens 😉 ) Thanks Katie!

18. alison says:

Broccoli is my fave! I would use this powder in the chocolate banana hemp milk smoothies I give my kids everyday.

19. Ashley says:

Ooooh! It’s hard to pick my favourite green veggie! Lately it has been kale, but that changes all the time.