Basic Chocolate Oatmeal

Everyone should know how to make basic chocolate oatmeal.

chocolate oatmeal

Why? Because it’s chocolate. That’s why.

And yes, I just started a pseudo sentence with because. I’m out of college, and nobody can stop me. 🙂 Besides, if a picture of chocolate oatmeal is staring you in the face and all you can think about is grammar rules, something’s wrong. The beauty of the following recipe is its simplicity, which allows for thousands of variations:

• Mexican Hot Chocolate Oatmeal: add a pinch of chili powder and cinnamon.
  • Almond Joy Oatmeal: use coconut milk as the liquid and add almond extract and shredded coconut.
  • Peppermint Patty Oats: add pure peppermint extract (and maybe some spinach, if you’re brave).
  • Reeses Peanut Butter Oatmeal: just add peanut butter!

chocolate oats

Or stir in cherries, raspberries, strawberries… the possibilities are endless, as almost anything pairs well with chocolate!

Basic Chocolate Oatmeal

Adapted from: 5-Minute Chocolate Oatmeal.

(One can never have too many chocolate oatmeal recipes!)

• 1/2 cup rolled oats (or 1/4 cup steel-cut oats) (45g)
  • 1 1/2 cups milk of choice or water (360g)
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 tbsp cocoa powder, dutch cocoa, or hot cocoa mix (5g)
  • 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • sweetener of choice (stevia, maple syrup, sugar, etc.)
  • optional: nondairy creamer or canned coconut milk for the top
  • optional: chocolate chips

Combine oats, liquid, and salt in a large pyrex-type measuring cup (or saucepan, if cooking on the stovetop). Heat on the stove until most—but not all—of the liquid is absorbed. Or, if using the microwave, heat 3 minutes, then heat 1 more minute, watching so it doesn’t spill over. (Microwave times will vary depending on wattage.) Leave in the microwave 5 minutes, then transfer (uncovered!) to the fridge overnight. The next morning, the oats will have soaked up all the excess liquid. (If you want to eat it right away, just heat longer or use less liquid. I always use the overnight method because I want breakfast ready in the morning.) Now add your vanilla, sweetener, cocoa, (and optional creamer or coconut milk if desired). Reheat, unless you prefer cold oatmeal like I do.

—> View Chocolate Oatmeal Nutrition Facts <—

chocolate for breakfast

What’s your current favorite breakfast?

Lately I’ve been eating a lot of overnight oatmeal, and also cold cereal with fruit. Cold cereal’s never been my favorite, but I like that it’s quick to prepare.  I’m doing a ton of cooking every day (both for the blog and the book), which unfortunately can sometimes leave me pressed for time to make my actual meals. So I have to cut corners whenever I can… A girl can’t live on chocolate alone!

Sugar Cookie Oatmeal

Link of the Day: Sugar Cookie Oatmeal

Tags: , , , , ,

1. Sarah says:

My favorite breakfast is this: 3/4 bowl of Trader Joe’s High Fiber Oats with 1/4 bowl Honey Nut Cheerios and Trader Joe’s Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk (the blue refrigerated carton) topped with sliced banana.

I’ve eaten this everyday for about 2 years and have no plans to change since this is my favorite part of the day when I get to eat this. Every night before bed I think “I get to eat my cereal tomorrow morning!” and get really excited. I’m lame, I know.

1. Annie says:

Lol … A bit lame, but still pretty funny.

2. Tricia says:

Chocolate oatmeal is always a good choice for the morning (or afternoon… or evening)– I’m definitely going to have to try the almond joy oatmeal very soon! 🙂

1. That’s the one that caught my eye, too! I love chocolate and coconut together.

3. this looks so much better than how my chocolatey oats look like!

4. Omg looks so good!! Will definitely make this soon!

5. Lauriene says:

I’ve been eating oats as cereal lately! Just pouring some oats into a bowl, tossing some cut up banana, raisins and berries on it, and pouring almond milk over the whole thing and eating it right there. Sometimes I’ll add some flaxseed or granola. It’s really good!

6. Sarah the official CCK drooler says:

Actually, this is how I’ve been making chocolate oatmeal (with twists) for years. For sweetener, I use a banana (thanks, Kath!). Sometimes… okay okay… a LOT of the time, I skip the cocoa powder and just dump in a cup of chocolate chips. Heck, why not?
    Right now… smoothies and oats. A lot of hot oatmeal. So what if it’s 100 degrees outside? I say fugghedaboudit 🙂 points to whoever can tell me where that’s from. hint: it’s where I’m from- i know SO helpful.

1. Dawn Laughlin says:

NEW YORK for sure!!

1. Honeybird says:

Donnie Brasco! 😛 (in NY)

1. Sarah the official CCK drooler says:

WOOP WOOP!!! ding ding ding 🙂

7. amy says:

I eat organic oatmeal 5 days out of the week. Try adding a protein powder like Beverly International cookies and cream (with or w/out the chocolate chips) and chilling instead of microwaving. OMG. So good on a hot summer day.

8. Rebecca says:

My favorite breakfast at the moment is a homemade sourdough whole wheat English muffin toasted and topped with flax seed peanut butter and strawberry slices or blackberries. I might have to break this trend to try that chocolate oatmeal though!

9. Sabrina says:

Love today’s post. I smiled when I saw it. Sometimes back to basics is exactly what you need.

10. Looks delicious! I have tried to make chocolate oatmeal in the past and was never thrilled with the results, I may have to try again!!!

11. When I start my day with exercise, I’m okay with a heavier, more hefty breakfast. But if I “sleep in” & don’t exercise, I’m not excited to eat anything. Something light like fruit to start, followed by oatmeal. I never tire of oatmeal & all it’s wondrous variations!

Isn’t it funny how when you have a blog about food (& you’re doing a cookbook on top of that) that you don’t always have time to cook for yourself? I find the same thing happen to me (although I’m NOT creating a cookbook, like you).

12. Saraquill says:

Oatmeal makes a wonderful canvas, doesn’t it? In my last years in college I took to piling mine with Mandarin oranges, coconut shreds, and walnuts.

The overnight oatmeal recipe is reminiscent of the porridge recipes in the Vegan Slow Cooker cookbook. The main difference is that since hers are sitting in a slow cooker overnight, it emerges already warm.

13. your oatmeal looks so good! My current favorite is my apple pie oatmeal!

1. tiffany says:

oh i love apple pie oatmeal. i make it slightly different from yours by adding a spoon full of unsweetened apple sauce, i find it really ups the apple flavour. Im loving your other oatmeal ideas though, i think ill try one tomorrow 😀

14. Allison says:

I LOVE oatmeal. Okay, well I love breakfast foods as a general rule, but lately I am attracted to peanut butter banana quesadillas with a little honey drizzle. Also fruit smoothies are always a favorite.

15. Destinie says:

Oh wow! Yummy! I have got to try this. Yay me for picking up oatmeal when I went to the store earlier this week. ;p

16. Nikki says:

Right now, my favorite breakfast is savory oatmeal. I know it sounds strange, but oatmeal is a grain just like rice or quinoa or barley, right? 🙂
    I prepare it by drizzling some olive oil, cracked pepper, and salt on top, then topping it with some steamed spinach. YUM!

1. Linsey says:

I’m totally with you about the savory oatmeal. I eat it everyday in the winter. Straight up with sea salt and smoked paprika.

17. Violet says:

totally had chocolate oatmeal for breakfast this morning. it’s definitely one of the best ways to wake up!

18. That looks so heavenly 🙂 Lately I’ve been loving green smoothies with Birthday Cake protein powder. It’s SO good!!

19. I so agree with you….everyone does need to know how to make chocolate oatmeal! My favorite breakfast is probably a few different kinds of cereal with unsweetend vanilla almond mild, sliced banana, strawberry and blueberry. Lately, I’m trying to add more protein in my diet, so I’ve been eating lots of egg variations.

20. Madelin says:

That’s not one bit lame, Sarah! 😀 My favorite part of the day is also my go-to breakfast: 3/4 cup plain nonfat yogurt, two tbsp peanut butter and a 1/3 cup blueberries, all mixed together with some Splenda and a TON of cinnamon. High in protein, fiber, good carbs… the perfect morning work-out fuel!