Get two new free healthy recipes each week. Sign Up

Chocolate Overnight Oats

These sinfully healthy brownie batter chocolate overnight oats combine the two best meals of the day, for one unforgettably delicious and filling breakfast treat!

A super healthy & filling "grab and go" breakfast - just 5 minutes of prep work the night before. This is SO EASY!!! @choccoveredkt https://chocolatecoveredkatie.com

pin-it

One of my most popular posts of the year so far has surprisingly been my post on overnight oats.

Seeing such high demand for those recipes, I knew I wanted to offer even more options for overnight oatmeal, especially since the original post did not include any chocolate overnight oats recipes! This also gave me an excuse to eat chocolate for breakfast, which is one of my favorite things to do.

So no complaints there.

You Might Also Like: Black Bean Brownies – NO Flour Required

pin-it

Since I had all the ingredients out anyway, I also made some of my favorite Chocolate No Bake Cookies.

Oh hi, chocolate oatmeal breakfast in a jar.

Does anyone else see the chocolate chip face???

Just like with the original overnight-oats post, these brownie batter chocolate overnight oats can be made in just a few simple steps:

Layer the ingredients into a mason jar or lidded container, screw the lid on tightly, shake very well, and refrigerate overnight.

The next day, unscrew the lid and enjoy.

You can also heat before eating, either in the microwave or by transferring to a pot or a bowl. But I like eating these chocolate overnight oats cold, especially as the weather gets warmer.

(Or maybe this is just me dreaming… yesterday it was 28 degrees outside. If ever there were a reason to use the acronym smh—which I had to google to discover means “shaking my head” or “so much hate”—this would be it.)

pin-it

Above, I made a video of the process, to show how easy it is to make the recipe.

You can actually make the entire thing in less time than it takes to watch this 25-second video.

Talk about fast food!

Step-By-Step Photos:

brownie 1

Chocolate Overnight Oats

Chocolate Overnight Oatmeal

pin-it

Feel free to customize your chocolate overnight oats by adding chia seeds, peanut butter, sliced banana, or shredded coconut.

And be sure to tag me on social media if you make them, so I can see and like your photos!

Brownie Batter Chocolate Overnight Oats for a healthy breakfast

pin-it

Adapted from Overnight Oats – 15 NEW Recipes

Pin it now to save for laterPin Recipe

Chocolate Overnight Oats

These healthy chocolate overnight oats combine the two best meals of the day, breakfast and dessert!
4.94/5 (36)
Total Time 5 minutes
Yield 1 serving

Ingredients

• 1/2 cup rolled oats
  • 1 1/2 tbsp cocoa powder
  • 2 tsp chia seeds, optional
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup plain yogurt, such as coconutmilk yogurt
  • 1 tbsp nut butter or melted coconut oil, optional for richer flavor
  • 1/2 cup milk of choice
  • 2-4 tsp chocolate chips or mini chocolate chips
  • sweetener of choice, to taste

Instructions

• Stir together the first three ingredients (and chia, if using) in a mason jar or lidded container. Top with the remaining ingredients, then seal the lid tightly. Shake to evenly combine all ingredients. Transfer to the fridge, and let sit overnight. The next day, simply take off the lid and breakfast is ready! (If you’d prefer, you can also heat it up at this time.) Sweeten as desired, either before or after letting it sit.
    View Nutrition Facts

Have you made this recipe?

Tag @chocolatecoveredkatie on Instagram

Currently Trending Recipes:

fb cookie dough

Chickpea Cookie Dough Dip

Deep Dish Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie

Deep Dish Cookie Pie

Brownie Fat Bombs

Keto Brownie Bombs

Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookies

Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookies

30 Healthy Banana Recipes

Banana Ice Cream – TEN Different Ways!

hello-breakfast-recipes.png

Get Free Recipes

Don’t Miss Out On The NEW Free Healthy Recipes

Chocolate Covered Katie The Healthy Dessert Blog Recipes

Popular Right Now

Reader Interactions

85 Comments

Leave a comment or reviewLeave a rating
  1. Jenny Levine says

Definitely making this for breakfast…tonight! And thank you for the education: I thought smh meant “smack my head”! Why would it mean that??

2. Tara says

I made this last night and had it for breakfast this morning. It was delicious! I must say that I ate it cold on this hot summer day and it tasted more like a pudding to me, but I didn’t mind 🙂 I’m thinking this will make a great make-ahead meal for travel also. Thanks so much!

3. Karly says

Girl, you seriously kill the games. Games, because healthy AND delicious, obviously. These look like just what I need to start my day on the right note!

4. Betsy Hendley says

This was excellent. Kids also liked it. The best part is that it’s good without adding any sweetener! I didn’t have yogurt so used just milk. I bet it’s even better with the yogurt! Thanks for another great recipe!

5. Erika says

Katie, this recipe is ridiculous. It is SO good. I felt guilty feeding it to my kids and had to remind myself of its goodness. AND–BONUS_-so easy to make.

I’m wondering how to omit yogurt? If I add nut butter, you think that suffices? Or maybe can add some coconut cream?

6. Jenna says

Beware, the calorie count is completely wrong. Even using the lowest calorie ingredients such as almond milk (15 calories for 1/2 cup) and lowest calorie yogurt I can find (50 calories for 1/2 cup) . Looks delicious but not low calorie in my opinion and misleading for those that don’t double to check the calories themselves. I didn’t even include the chia seeds or nut butter calories yet since they are optional.
    Look at the breakdown:
    -Rolled Oats- 150 calories
    -Cocoa Powder- 18 Calories
    Yogurt- 50 Calories
    Milk- 15 calories (that’s being generous in my opinion as almond milk isn’t even specified in the recipe)
    Chocolate chips- 80 calories for 3 tsp

TOTAL CALORIES: 313

Now add nut butter (90 calories) and chia seeds (137 calories) and you have a whopping 540 calories. THIS IS NOT LOW CALORIE!!!

• Gabby says

I didn’t put any nut butter or chia seeds, and it tasted wonderful! Even the chocolate chips weren’t necessary imo – it tastes just as chocolate-y and sweet without them. So having said that, 300-some cals. is really not bad for breakfast 🙂

7. Gabby says

Chocolate for breakfast? As soon as I saw this recipe, I knew I had to try it :p
    I mixed it up at night, then heated it up the next morning. And as soon as I tasted it, I thought “oh my god, am I dreaming?!” This tasted JUST like brownie batter. But more like a refreshing, not sickeningly sweet brownie batter with nice chewy oats in it. I also put some dark chocolate chips in it before I microwaved it, and it elevated it to a whole new level. I actually felt guilty while eating it, because I’ve been trying to watch my weight. I had to keep reminding myself that it was only a few hundred calories! (I think 300-something). Even my non-health-conscious friends loved this. It was creamy, chocolate-y, sweet, and incredible. If you love chocolate, YOU MUST TRY THIS!!!

8. Melissa says

This is absolutely delicious, but be warned, dieters: it is not a low calorie breakfast. I clocked mine at around 580 cals without sweetener.
    I like to make it and have it super occasionally for dessert.

9. Rebecca says

Do you have a cinnamon roll version of this? Definitely want to try this one but cinnamon roll would be yummy too!

10. Jodi says

New to your blog, loving everything I see. Haven’t tried anything yet because I’m doing up my meal plans/grocery list for next week now, but definitely want to add your recipes into the mix…always felt deprived of my chocolate every time I tried to eat healthy and ended of falling off the wagon. Feeling better about this next attempt with your blog as my secret weapon!

With these overnight oats recipes, what kind of shelf life do they have? Like, if I made up enough for the whole week when doing my meal prep on Sundays, would they be edible? That’s the only thing I’ve found hard to find on your blog…how long they can be kept or made in advance. Finding that info on a recipe seems to be hit-or-miss …

11. Lauren says

Can you make overnight oats without yogurt? Really want to give this a go but I don’t have any yogurt in the fridge at the moment!

12. Heather says

Mine came out very bitter and not good at all. I’m not sure what I did wrong. Struggling to get an overnight oats recipe I like.

13. Kristina says

Your Chocolate Brownie Batter Overnight Oatmeal recipe on youtube says to add vanilla extract but I don’t see any in the recipe above. I assume it is a typo in the above recipe. Since it is not listed above I was wondering how much vanilla extract goes in this recipe? Great recipes! Thanks!

• Jason Sanford says

Definitely looks like a typo! You can add 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract – it’s fine to add or leave out, your choice 🙂
      -Jason

14. Tierney says

I love this, it actually tasted really good and defies the assumption that healthy food can’t taste good! The only this is, I found it really filling and couldn’t finish the whole thing, so I would recommend maybe halving the recipe or using less oats and yoghurt. I like to add ‘healthy Nutella’ from another recipe instead of the chocolate or nut butter as well

15. Sarrie says

Katie,

These overnight oats are fabulous! I have been following your culinary adventures for some time now, and I have to say–this is my favorite recipe so far! I used Greek Yogurt and calculated my macros on MFP, and this breakfast produced an astonishing 20 grams of protein! Lacking a mason jar, I mixed mine in a bowl and covered. When I opened it up this morning, the texture reminded me of chocolate mousse! Perfectly decadent with a shake of cinnamon and a drizzle of molasses.

Thanks for the healthy inspiration!

16. Beth says

Can I make this without any yogurt? Would I need to add more yogurt? Or maybe add ground flaxseed with the milk to make it thicker instead of yogurt?

• Jason Sanford says

Unfortunately there’s no way to know unless you try, but I’d just go with more milk of choice or coconut milk or even mashed banana. Be sure to report back if you try!

17. Aleksandra Zarak says

Dear Katie, loving your recipes and have mad e a few to great success I purchased your app and to my horror was disappointed by the recipez with butter, eggs etc. Wher ed the recipes you are sharing with us here??? Sadly, I did not make one single recipe from the app.

18. Pamela says

Amazing! Tastes so much like brownie batter. The only thing is my calorie count was substantially higher than listed – 500+. I ate half and had a banana. Probably will make it again.

19. Fi says

Your calorie content is MUCH lower than what is accurate. 1/2 cup of rolled oats itself is 210 calories. If you make it as stated (with chia seeds and chocolate chips) it comes to 600 calories per serving!

• Jason Sanford says

Hi, I’m not sure what you’re using for calculating calories, but a half cup of oats is only about 150-160 cals, and optional ingredients are not usually included in nutrition facts (in general, not just for Katie’s recipes). Hope that helps!

20. Eba Margaret Alday says

Hey, can I use hemp seeds instead of chia seeds? Also, should i put hemp seeds with the same ratio as chia seeds?