5 Minute Microwave Chocolate Truffles

healthy chocolate truffles!

Chocolate truffles you can make in minutes…

They can even be made in the microwave. For some reason, I’d always been under the impression that preparing homemade truffles is difficult and time-consuming. Plus, most recipes call for heavy cream, which I can’t eat as a vegan. But there are ways to make them using canned coconut milk, and so I decided to stop being lazy and try my hand at it this Thanksgiving.

3 ingredients & no heavy cream!

microwave chocolate truffles!

vegan chocolate truffles

My first experiment—with the last can of coconut milk in the pantry—didn’t turn out very well. It made a lovely chocolate sauce, but never firmed up enough for truffles. So, out of curiosity and necessity, I tried a second experiment with almond milk, expecting it to fail completely.

It didn’t.

5 MINUTE Chocolate Truffles - Can be vegan ▪ low fat ▪ gluten free...from @choccoveredkt - http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/11/25/5-minute-microwave-chocolate-truffles/

No, not at all.

Side note: does anyone else ever buy those assorted boxes of chocolate truffles, like the ones from Godiva or Russell Stover?

On special occasions sometimes, my sister and I would get a box of Godiva truffles, and our favorite part was looking through the little book that came with the box, to see all the flavors. Then we’d take a very small bite out of every single truffle before deciding which one to choose. I always liked the raspberry jelly ones best.

For More Recipes Like This: 100+ Healthy Dessert Recipes.

pin-it

5 Minute Chocolate Truffles

(can be gluten-free)

• 3 oz (packed 1/2 cup) semi-sweet chocolate chips or mini chips (For a sugar-free version, see “nutrition facts” link below.)
  • 3 tbsp milk of choice or canned coconut milk
  • optional: I added a tiny pinch of salt
  • optional few drops pure peppermint extract, if desired

If using the microwave: combine chocolate, milk, and optional salt in a microwave-safe dish, and heat 50 seconds. Stir, then heat until melted, in 10-second intervals (chocolate burns quickly), stirring after each. Now add extract if desired. Freeze at least 40 minutes, or until chocolate is hard enough to scoop out into truffle shapes with a mini cookie scoop. (Alternatively, you can freeze in candy molds.) If using the stove, heat chocolate on low until melted, stirring frequently, then proceed with the recipe as written above. I store my truffles in the freezer until just before serving. Roll in cocoa before serving, if desired.

View Chocolate Truffles Nutrition Facts

Link Of The Day:

Easy #nobake chocolate cookies - VERY addictive - We couldn't stop eating them! http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/07/10/no-bake-mocha-chocolate-chip-cookies/ @choccoveredkt

No Bake Mocha Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies

Tags: , , , , , ,

1. Lauren says:

These look great! Most of the truffles I see have nuts as a base, so it’s nice to see a recipe without them. I think the Ferrero Rocher hazelnut truffles are the best I’ve tasted!

2. kimthevegan says:

Those look so good!
    YUM

3. I love this idea – so quick and easy! Haha I might have to bring another CCK recipe to my book club this month!

4. Best.Idea.Ever. I am totally going to try these. I never liked those boxed candies because there was always a few nasty flavors that I would end up throwing out. I much prefer homemade versions like this.

5. Stephie says:

With the heavy cream version it’s a 1:3 (or 1:4) ratio chocolate to cream, did you try a 1:3 ratio with the coconut milk? I’m just wondering if that would work and then no freezing would be required. (I never have room in my freezer for things like this!)

You truffles do look delicious. I recently tried your chocolate brownie bites recipe, and was surprised at how they really do taste like brownies! But all healthy ingredients, gotta love that. Thanks for the healthier alternatives, I plan to try your cookie pie soon. Can’t wait to see what that tastes like.

1. I did way too much liquid… I think, if I remember correctly, it was 1/2 cup coconut milk to 1/2 cup chocolate chips. Don’t even ask… I was making a lot of things at once and wasn’t thinking straight ;).

For these, I think that if you use the full-fat coconut milk (and maybe cut it back to 2 or 2.5 tbsp) you could get away with not freezing, although I haven’t tried it. I wouldn’t recommend it if you use the “milk of choice” version with a lower-fat milk, because they might be too melty to hold up without staying frozen.

6. Katie, you made my day. These look absolutely heavenly! I might have to make them for lunch. 😉
    We used to buy assorted Lindor truffles for the holidays, but, due to a dairy allergy, I cannot eat them any more. 🙁

7. I think it’s been years since I’ve had truffles. With the two ingredients in my pantry to make this I think I’ll have to put it on my afternoon ‘to do’ list!

8. Lena says:

Just chocolate and milk to make truffles? That’s crazy! Can’t wait to try these out, they look great.

9. Thpse look really good! I’d not make it in a microwave, but that should not be a problem!

10. I have tried making truffles before but it was not as easy and healthy like this one. I am so tempted to try this recipe already. Thanks for sharing.

11. Aja says:

Those look so good and easy to make especially since I’m in college now and only have a microwave to make things in! So excited to get to make treats even while I’m away from home now.

12. I never buy truffles….that would be way too dangerous! I happen to know that Lindt makes a pretty great truffle, though. These look delish and so easy!

13. Tiffany H says:

Every Christmas I buy a box of french truffles. They’re the best truffles I’ve ever tried…My mom usually gets those boxes with the flavoured centers where you look through the list to decide what kind you want, but I’ve never really called those truffles. Last year I made gingerbread spiced truffles, basically a normal truffle recipe with the typical spice combo you put in gingerbread, they were super tasty. Im sure it’d work just as well with this recipe.

14. Man oh man I love your recipes so much they are so easy but this just cuts the cake I can not wait to make these babies! I have always bought a box of Godiva I don’t anymore it is to rich for my taste buds, but this just brings back memories :)..

15. Jeanette says:

The kind of chocolate you use will vastly affect the taste, too. The better the chocolate, the better the truffle. Splurge on some really good dark chocolate to make these with, you won’t be disappointed, the difference in taste versus using chocolate chips may just surprise you. Not that the chocolate chips are terrible (and inexpensive) but sometimes a girl just needs something truly decadent.

1. You might just be my new favorite person… I tried the recipe with chocolate chips and with unsweetened chocolate, but I never thought to use chocolate bars. Now I’m intrigued. Definitely trying it today, maybe even with a flavored chocolate bar.

16. Carrie A. says:

Am I missing how many this is supposed to make? I want to be sure that my nutritional info is correct! Thanks for a delish idea!!!

1. Lisa says:

It looks like it is based on 12 if you add up all the grams, but I got 14 out of my batch.

17. OMG. Yum! These look sooo good! What did you roll them in? Cocoa powder? Can’t wait to make these!

18. Debbie says:

I have these in the freezer now. I can not wait to try them, I have been searching for an easy vegan truffle recipe. You are amazing.

19. Tina says:

Could you make these with dairy free chocolate chips too?

1. I actually DO use dairy-free chocolate chips. I used Enjoy Life mini chips, but Ghirardelli mini chips are actually also vegan. Or Whole Foods brand vegan (regular-sized).

20. Lauren says:

WOW, another Chocolate Covered Katie masterpiece! I made them as soon as I saw your post and they are AMAZING!!!! I used sugar-free chocolate chips and almond milk, and they came out perfectly! My dad (who is very skeptical of ‘healthy’ food) loved them too. Definitely a melt-in-your-mouth recipe, thank you Katie!!! 🙂