Avocado Smoothie

Currently craving this creamy avocado smoothie.

Avocado Shake - Tastes Exactly Like A Vanilla Milkshake (Seriously) http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2013/09/23/avocado-smoothie/Avocado Drink - Tastes Exactly Like A Vanilla Milkshake (Seriously) http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2013/09/23/avocado-smoothie/How to use Avocado for a healthy breakfast shake that tastes exactly like a vanilla milkshake (Seriously) http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2013/09/23/avocado-smoothie/

Suddenly, I cannot get enough avocado.

I’m craving it in avocado smoothies, avocado frozen yogurt, avocado chocolate shakes, and am even just scraping it straight into my mouth. This is really strange… for most of my life I loathed avocado, despite giving my best effort to like the heart-healthy fruit.

So I’m not sure what’s going on!

Can tastebuds really change after 27 years of life?

Or did someone switch bodies with me?

Suddenly I like cilantro too, a food I used to detest even more than avocado… this is all so very confusing! But as long as I still like chocolate, I guess everything will be okay Smile.

Are there any foods you like now that you used to hate? There are many foods I hated when I was younger—mushrooms, red peppers, onions, tomatoes—that I learned to love as I got older. Seriously, how did I not like onions??

Adding avocado to a smoothie might sound strange, but just try it! This avocado smoothie is so creamy and thick, and it honestly tastes more like a vanilla milkshake than a smoothie. I don’t know how that is possible, but it’s true!

How To Use Avocado For A Healthy Breakfast Shake That Tastes Exactly Like A Vanilla Milkshake (Seriously) http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2013/09/23/avocado-smoothie/

2015 Edit: There is a chocolate avocado smoothie in my cookbook, called The Chocolate Mudslide, that is one of my favorite recipes of all time! If you have the book, I highly recommend you try that recipe first!!

pin-it

Avocado Smoothie

Print This Recipe 5/5
5/54

Ingredients

• 1/2 of a large avocado (60g)
  • 1 1/2 cups cold milk of choice (360g)
  • scant 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • pinch pure stevia, or 2 tbsp pure maple syrup or sugar of choice
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 4 ice cubes, optional
Total Time: 5m
Yield: 1-2 servings

Instructions

Avocado smoothie recipe: Combine all ingredients in a blender until completely smooth, then serve. Makes about 2 cups (1-2 servings).

View Avocado Smoothie Nutrition Facts

Link Of The Day:

pumpkin pie

Crustless Pumpkin Pie

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

1. Tracy says:

What does this taste like? Avocado has such a mild taste. Does the vanilla flavor take over? It’s hard to imagine sweet avocado!

1. The great thing about avocado that I’ve found, is that it actually has quite a neutral flavor–it’s mostly just fat & will take on flavors around it. I’ve had it in a raw chocolate pudding & served it to guests & no one even suspected the “secret” ingredient 🙂

2. So there’s hope for my husband! He hates cilantro (& chickpeas, cabbage, mushrooms, eggplant, chard) & I want to put it in everything.

I’ve never been really picky, although I wasn’t a huge fan of mushrooms until I went vegan. Now I want to add them to everything savory.

3. I used to hate avocados! Then I spent a summer in LA… and I ate so many that… well, let’s just say that green passes through. LOL!

When I have a avocado, I usually end up freezing half. It keeps it fresh and I can use it in smoothies! Love adding some orange for a creamy (green) orange smoothie!

4. Desirae says:

I love avocado too! I’m only 25, but a couple of years ago I changed my eating habits, and now I love all kinds of food I used to dislike greatly!

5. Weird, I went through the same thing, only at 26! Do you crave pears by any chance? Apparently pears and avocados are extremely beneficial for the female hormone system. I craved both like crazy during a weird health time in my life when my hormones were a bit out of whack. Most interesting part of it is that both foods look a little like the body parts they support most!

1. Maeraj says:

OMG same here! I turned 25 and suddenly just started LOVING avocados– HATED them before. The funny thing is my husband and I had bonded always shared our love for avocados, and now that I love them, I get so annoyed at him for hating them because it means I can’t put them in everything.

6. Maggie says:

Pretty much your entire list and then some: mushrooms, onions, salad, leafy greens, oranges, avocados, mango (WHAT), anything I couldn’t recognize. I was the world’s pickiest eater… and then I went vegan. And now I eat everything.

7. Dawn says:

Number one would have to be broccoli. I also hated all beans…crazy because I eat them everyday now!!

8. Lisa says:

I love avocado in smoothies! It adds such a delicious and creamy texture.
    I actually used to hate avocado as well. Like despise it, now I love it.
    Same with basically every veggie out there, and now I like almost every vegetable. It’s weird how taste can change like that.

9. Alice says:

What a shame that avocados are so expensive here 🙁
    But still, this smoothie looks delicious and I will try it!
    Until about two years ago I didn’t like bell pepper and tomatoes, but now I love both 🙂

10. Susan says:

Hi Katie,
    I think it is normal for tastes to change as you age, sometimes for the better as has been happening to you, and sometimes for the worse as has happened to me. As I’ve gotten older I’ve gotten to where raw onions – except sweet – and garlic leave an awful taste in my mouth that hangs around forever (seemingly). But there are other things I’ve come to really enjoy, like cilantro. I think the key to that was having it first in a lightly cooked form where it perfected the flavor profile of the dish. Since I got there, I love it anywhere and anyhow. Isn’t it nice to know you are normal? 🙂

11. The same thing happened to me with pretty much all vegetables. When I was young I absolutely refused to eat anything green, and now I can’t get enough! I, too am obsessed with avocado (pretty sure I wouldn’t touch those when I was younger, either). This smoothies sounds so wonderful!

12. Beth says:

I really want to like coriander (cilantro) too! I adore indian and thai cookery which tends to involve a lot of the stuff. Adore avo’s though 🙂

13. angela says:

I loath avocado too! I’m so glad to hear that you hated it as well and that there may be hope for me. I know that avocado is packed full of nutrtional goodness, but can’t seem to get myself to try it again. Maybe in smoothie form it might be better. On this note of loathing avocado, do you have any advice for substitutions in recipes using avocado?

1. Melanie says:

maybe try adding a frozen banana with some spinach? The banana will contribute the creaminess (and some sweetness) and the spinach will keep it green!

14. Allie says:

I also hated avocado as a kid! And now I can’t get enough. I also never liked cheese much, but it’s slowly growing on me. SLOWLY.

15. Kelly says:

I used to hate vegetables and fruit. Now I have to make it up of 15 years not eating them haha .. (I’m 16 )
    This is a very popular drink in Vietnam. Usually we use condensed milk in avocado smoothie.

16. I love avocado chocolate pudding! And just plain avocado with salt and hot sauce. I used to HATE onions as a kid but love them now. Still hate anise and arugala. Hoping that will change one day.

17. shobelyn says:

Hello, Katie. The chocolate cheesecake I have done turned out delicious. I am not sure if it is suppose to be soft, but it is when left in the fridge. What I did is freeze it the whole time to maintain its shape. My daughter said it taste like almond joy. BTW I posted the Healthy Oreos I made. It was a hit in my house, that I am making it again today.

18. Caitlin says:

I might just have to have one for an afternoon snack! I bought a couple of avocados with the intention of making guacamole (with parsley instead of cilantro…I still hate it, lol!) but I haven’t made anything that requires its presence.
    I used to hate avocado, too. I used to hate a LOT of foods that I like now: beans, super dark chocolate, any type of pureed or cooked fruit, bananas…it changed recently when diabetes forced me to change my horrible eating habits. Now I have midnight cravings for kale chips, I’d rather have a piece of fruit than a piece of cheese, etc. I think it was a defense mechanism: adapt, be miserable forever, or die. My mouth chose to adapt!

19. I love the green color!! I had avocado in a smoothie once and it tasted funny, but I bet this one would be wonderful!! I can just tell 🙂

20. Lulu says:

I used to hate coconut anything, bananas and garlic of any sort. Now I love all of these things! Well, maybe not raw garlic but cooked ones r yummy 🙂