Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Avocado Smoothie

Currently craving this creamy avocado smoothie.

Avocado Milkshakeavocado drinkAvocado Smoothie

Suddenly, I cannot get enough avocado.

I’m craving it in avocado smoothies, avocado frozen yogurt, avocado chocolate shakes, and am even just scraping it straight into my mouth. This is really strange… for most of my life I loathed avocado, despite giving my best effort to like the heart-healthy fruit. So I’m not sure what’s going on!

Can tastebuds really change after 27 years of life?

avocado drink

Or did someone switch bodies with me?

Suddenly I like cilantro too, a food I used to detest even more than avocado… this is all so very confusing! But as long as I still like chocolate, I guess everything will be okay Smile.

Adding avocado to a smoothie might sound strange, but just try it! This avocado smoothie is so creamy and thick, and it honestly tastes more like a vanilla milkshake than a smoothie. I don’t know how that is possible, but it’s true!

2015 Edit: There is a chocolate avocado smoothie in my cookbook, called The Chocolate Mudslide, that is one of my favorite recipes of all time! If you have the book, I highly recommend you try that recipe first!!

Avocado Smoothie

Print This Recipe 5/5

• 1/2 of a large avocado (60g)
  • 1 1/2 cups cold milk of choice (360g)
  • scant 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • pinch pure stevia, or 2 tbsp pure maple syrup or sugar of choice
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 4 ice cubes, optional
Total Time: 5m
Yield: 1-2 servings

Avocado smoothie recipe: Combine all ingredients in a blender until completely smooth, then serve. Makes about 2 cups (1-2 servings).

View Avocado Smoothie Nutrition Facts

avocado shake

Avocado Milkshake

Question of the Day:

Are there any foods you like now that you used to hate?

There are many foods I hated when I was younger—mushrooms, red peppers, onions, tomatoes—that I learned to love as I got older. Seriously, how did I not like onions??

crustless pumpkin pie

Link of the Day: Crustless Pumpkin Pie

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

1. Tracy says:

What does this taste like? Avocado has such a mild taste. Does the vanilla flavor take over? It’s hard to imagine sweet avocado!

1. The great thing about avocado that I’ve found, is that it actually has quite a neutral flavor–it’s mostly just fat & will take on flavors around it. I’ve had it in a raw chocolate pudding & served it to guests & no one even suspected the “secret” ingredient :)

2. So there’s hope for my husband! He hates cilantro (& chickpeas, cabbage, mushrooms, eggplant, chard) & I want to put it in everything.

I’ve never been really picky, although I wasn’t a huge fan of mushrooms until I went vegan. Now I want to add them to everything savory.

3. I used to hate avocados! Then I spent a summer in LA… and I ate so many that… well, let’s just say that green passes through. LOL!

When I have a avocado, I usually end up freezing half. It keeps it fresh and I can use it in smoothies! Love adding some orange for a creamy (green) orange smoothie!

4. Desirae says:

I love avocado too! I’m only 25, but a couple of years ago I changed my eating habits, and now I love all kinds of food I used to dislike greatly!

5. Weird, I went through the same thing, only at 26! Do you crave pears by any chance? Apparently pears and avocados are extremely beneficial for the female hormone system. I craved both like crazy during a weird health time in my life when my hormones were a bit out of whack. Most interesting part of it is that both foods look a little like the body parts they support most!

1. Maeraj says:

OMG same here! I turned 25 and suddenly just started LOVING avocados– HATED them before. The funny thing is my husband and I had bonded always shared our love for avocados, and now that I love them, I get so annoyed at him for hating them because it means I can’t put them in everything.

6. Maggie says:

Pretty much your entire list and then some: mushrooms, onions, salad, leafy greens, oranges, avocados, mango (WHAT), anything I couldn’t recognize. I was the world’s pickiest eater… and then I went vegan. And now I eat everything.

7. Dawn says:

Number one would have to be broccoli. I also hated all beans…crazy because I eat them everyday now!!

8. Vanessa says:

I used to hate ginger and pumpkin – now? They’re two of my favorite foods! I still don’t love pumpkin pie tho…

A new food I’m starting to enjoy is beets. I like them, but only in salads and fresher dishes.

9. Lisa says:

I love avocado in smoothies! It adds such a delicious and creamy texture.
    I actually used to hate avocado as well. Like despise it, now I love it.
    Same with basically every veggie out there, and now I like almost every vegetable. It’s weird how taste can change like that.

10. Alice says:

What a shame that avocados are so expensive here :(
    But still, this smoothie looks delicious and I will try it!
    Until about two years ago I didn’t like bell pepper and tomatoes, but now I love both :)

11. Susan says:

Hi Katie,
    I think it is normal for tastes to change as you age, sometimes for the better as has been happening to you, and sometimes for the worse as has happened to me. As I’ve gotten older I’ve gotten to where raw onions – except sweet – and garlic leave an awful taste in my mouth that hangs around forever (seemingly). But there are other things I’ve come to really enjoy, like cilantro. I think the key to that was having it first in a lightly cooked form where it perfected the flavor profile of the dish. Since I got there, I love it anywhere and anyhow. Isn’t it nice to know you are normal? :-)

12. The same thing happened to me with pretty much all vegetables. When I was young I absolutely refused to eat anything green, and now I can’t get enough! I, too am obsessed with avocado (pretty sure I wouldn’t touch those when I was younger, either). This smoothies sounds so wonderful!

13. Beth says:

I really want to like coriander (cilantro) too! I adore indian and thai cookery which tends to involve a lot of the stuff. Adore avo’s though :)

14. angela says:

I loath avocado too! I’m so glad to hear that you hated it as well and that there may be hope for me. I know that avocado is packed full of nutrtional goodness, but can’t seem to get myself to try it again. Maybe in smoothie form it might be better. On this note of loathing avocado, do you have any advice for substitutions in recipes using avocado?

1. Melanie says:

maybe try adding a frozen banana with some spinach? The banana will contribute the creaminess (and some sweetness) and the spinach will keep it green!

15. Allie says:

I also hated avocado as a kid! And now I can’t get enough. I also never liked cheese much, but it’s slowly growing on me. SLOWLY.

16. Kelly says:

I used to hate vegetables and fruit. Now I have to make it up of 15 years not eating them haha .. (I’m 16 )
    This is a very popular drink in Vietnam. Usually we use condensed milk in avocado smoothie.

17. I love avocado chocolate pudding! And just plain avocado with salt and hot sauce. I used to HATE onions as a kid but love them now. Still hate anise and arugala. Hoping that will change one day.

18. shobelyn says:

Hello, Katie. The chocolate cheesecake I have done turned out delicious. I am not sure if it is suppose to be soft, but it is when left in the fridge. What I did is freeze it the whole time to maintain its shape. My daughter said it taste like almond joy. BTW I posted the Healthy Oreos I made. It was a hit in my house, that I am making it again today.

19. Caitlin says:

I might just have to have one for an afternoon snack! I bought a couple of avocados with the intention of making guacamole (with parsley instead of cilantro…I still hate it, lol!) but I haven’t made anything that requires its presence.
    I used to hate avocado, too. I used to hate a LOT of foods that I like now: beans, super dark chocolate, any type of pureed or cooked fruit, bananas…it changed recently when diabetes forced me to change my horrible eating habits. Now I have midnight cravings for kale chips, I’d rather have a piece of fruit than a piece of cheese, etc. I think it was a defense mechanism: adapt, be miserable forever, or die. My mouth chose to adapt!

20. I love the green color!! I had avocado in a smoothie once and it tasted funny, but I bet this one would be wonderful!! I can just tell :)

21. Lulu says:

I used to hate coconut anything, bananas and garlic of any sort. Now I love all of these things! Well, maybe not raw garlic but cooked ones r yummy :)

22. Teresa says:

For me it’s beans. While growing up the only beans I would eat were green beans. Now I love all of them. I even make certain kinds of casseroles and soups just so that I can add beans to them.
    I have never liked cilantro and can’t imagine that changing. It’s horrible and tastes like soap. :( Wish I could since it’s in so many foods that would otherwise be delicious. Even one tiny leaf ruins the whole dish.

23. Hey Katie!:) I love avocados! They make such a great creamy smoothie. Unfortunately, they hurt my stomach and I have no idea why! Anywho! This is a great recipe. I actually used to hate greens and now I can’t live without them! Spinach is a must in all my smoothies and if I don’t have it, I actually crave it. This comes from a girl who grew up eating no veggies whatsoever.
    PS- I’m with you on the chocolate- my 100% chocolate bars aren’t going anywhere anytime soon:)<3

24. Rachel says:

I just got back from Brazil, and odly enough, avacado smoothies are a really populare breakfast drink there! kind of wierd at first, but delicious all the same!

25. That is funny! I made a zingy AVOCADO humous earlier today (Will be up on my bloog soon soon ^ ^ ) to serve alongside my dinner today, and someone tagged me in a picture of an avocado earlier… today avocado day? I used to not like either onions or avocado either, now – I love it!
    And this smoothie looks delicious! I remember adding avocado to a chocolate cake cream topping some time ago, and it just turned out sooo velvety! Mmmmm *green daydreams*

1. Kari says:

I love avocado AND I love hummus, so I can’t imagine a more perfect combo. I will be clicking over to your blog to find that recipe for sure!

1. Posted it up today!

Have you used avocado in something else over the last few days Katie? :) x

26. Hope says:

Taste buds actually change every 7 years, give or take a little time. Maybe yours are changing? I know mine did

27. Chris says:

Have you added any dark cocoa powder in this, by any chance? So very tempting…

28. Makayla says:

Yay! I’m so happy you are becoming avocado obbsessed like me! They were the # 1 food that helped me gain weight when I was suffering from SMA Syndrome. That and chocolate covered Medjool dates! :)

29. We are always slurping down avocado smoothies — it’s just so good 😀

30. Jessica says:

I use pineapple juice and yogurt in my avocado smoothies…it’s one of my favorites! I used to hate shrimp…but it didn’t occur to me after I tried it again and liked it that I had gotten an awful case of food poisoning from it that I lost my taste. It’s a good thing for me – I have a hard time getting enough protein as it is and I get tired of the same old, same old sources.

31. amy says:

um have you taken a pregnancy test?! lol

1. Ellen says:

I was thinking the same thing… Katie must be pregnant! 😉

1. Thank you! I couldn’t believe I was the only one thinking this!! :)

2. I can’t say the thought didn’t cross my mind. :)

32. With summer coming up in my side of the world this recipe is absolutely perfect! Thanks for your yummy and healthy recipes! :-)

33. Tayler says:

Welcome to the dark side katie!

34. Oh this sounds delish!!! I was the same way… used to never eat avocado. Then one day I had something, don’t even recall what it was, and I was off… couldn’t get enough of it, put it on everything! Even now I’m smacking my head that I didn’t put any on my hamburger for dinner this evening. I might make this yummy smoothie for breakfast in the morning!

35. Mrs. D. says:

It really is like my dad used to tell me: “When you get older, you like the tastes of more foods and can eat less” (without gaining any weight). Life’s little irony. But yes, I have had the same experiences, some out of necessity (beans, for ex.). I HATED beans as a kid. Looking back, I think it was the lack of seasonings (not just the texture). Your post has given me hope that someday soon, my husband (40) may like avocados… Here’s hoping! Thanks for the recipe.

36. Yes yes yes i agree! Taste buds definitely change. up until the last two years i hated avocado, olives, green tea and mushrooms….but now i love them, erm though i’m still working on the mushrooms! :-)

37. Wow how did you get it to look green?? You must have had the perfect avocado!!

I JUST made someone a smoothie with avocado in it today for a customer and she said it was okay…just made it creamier!

38. Shani says:

I used to hate mushrooms, but now I think they are the most incredible food on the planet 😀

Funny point – in Australia, we don’t call it cilantro, it’s coriander. It took me so long to figure out that they were the same thing!

39. Rebecca says:

Hi Katie! I have always loved avocado, but like you I used to hate cilantro. I recently learned that there is a genetic component to cilantro aversion, but apparently this can change over time. I love it now but the taste used to remind me of soap. Many other cilantro haters describe it this way too. Here’s an article about the phenomenon:

I also used to dislike onions but use them in everything now. Although, I can still get a little overwhelmed by too much raw onion.

40. I’m so intrigued by this. I never thought of making a smoothie from an avocado, but I really want to try this out! Thank you for sharing!

41. Delia says:

Katie, I just love your recipes! I mean I am obssessed with chocolate (which is why I was drawned to your blog on the first place) and now you are posting recipes with avocado!! I could not be happier, I eat avocado everyday and this smoothie tastes so good, this is the first time that I have ever tried its´ sweet side and I have a crush on it. Needless to say I found my new breakfast to-go; tried it with half of coconout milk and regular and it was heavenly.

Can’t wait for your book to come out!

42. Lauren says:

I think it’s totally possible for tastes to change! I am almost 31 and I am just now enjoying yellow mustard. I used to HATE it as a kid/teen!!! So weird. The sad thing about avocados is that I love them, but they make my stomach hurt. SO DEPRESSING!!! I also don’t really like cilantro, but I thought I used to like it… so not sure about that one :)

43. I love avocado as well and I love adding it in smoothies! I can just imagine how delicious this is 😉

44. Catherine says:

This one actually does not sound appetizing to me, but I am curious about it so will have to give it a try!

45. Veronika says:

When I was young I absolutely detested tomatoes, avocado and cabbage. I started liking tomatoes in my early 20’s, but I only came around to loving avocado and cabbage since becoming vegan about two years ago. Now tomato and avocado is my favourite kind of sandwich!

I will definitely try this recipe, I’ve never had an avocado smoothie without adding either cocoa or other kinds of fruit.

46. Jacob says:

You know, your list of foods at the bottom of the post that you used to dislike would make for a mighty fine pizza…

1. shani says:

hahah that made me laugh :)
      mmmmm.. vegie pizza!

47. v says:

i used to hate avoes too! now i make guacamole and raw chocolate mousse. it’s crazy. ironically, when i was a kid we had a giant avo tree, but i hated avoes. now that i eat them i have to buy the,

48. Diana says:

I did follow the recipe 100%, but I didn’t love it entirely. My taste buds were missing something… Then it hit me and I added one heaped teaspoon of natural cocoa powder, blended again for a few seconds, and there it was. It tasted like liquid chocolate. Mmmm. Thank you for the recipe. <3

49. Tammela says:

I think tastebuds do actually change/develop as we get older. Like the stereotypical kid, I didn’t like broccoli much when I was younger. I don’t remember there being any foods I absolutely hated, but I certainly had my preferences (still do! But different).

50. Sarah says:

As for the question about what foods do you love now? Oh so many. Things like hummus and tabouleh, cold beets, onions, lentils, and on and on. My father used to always try to get me to eat onions in a form other than onion rings. Never worked. He passed away when I was 13 and over the years I have tried and loved onions in many different ways. Each time I’d try something new with them, I’d wonder if he was rolling over in his grave. :)

51. Al says:

Hi Katie,
    I absolutely love getting the emails packed with delicious goodies. I love to experiment with deserts (I don’t do it with main meals – that is another story), however I’m a bit afraid to try this avocado smoothie. Let me explain – since I was a little human I have always had avocado as a savoury dish (in salads, on warm toast with tomato and freshly cracked pepper). So the idea of having a sweet avocado is a no no for my rational mind. Not to mention I would be breaking one of my rules – don’t mix sweet with savoury (that means I don’t add pineapple to pizza, sultanas to rice or apple to salads). Uhmm maybe I am not as adventurous as I think I am…
    When is your book coming out?
    I am not a fan of aniseed or big chunks of ginger in food.
    Keep up the superb work :-)

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

I’m pretty sure it’s coming out in late 2014. :-)

52. Erin says:

I am the SAME way! I suddenly can’t stop wanting and craving avocado and guacamole. I want it in and on everything. I seriously just made this, and it was AMAZING. So good! I already “Pinned” it. 😀 Thank you for sharing this and all you do to promote veganism!

To answer the poster above for my own tastes: no, the vanilla doesn’t take over… just kinda marries with the avocado butteriness and creates a smooth, rounded flavor. Perfect. You could of course use more or less if your taste buds vary. I’m a bitter supertaster, so I have extra “bitter” taste buds, and I have to adjust things all the time.

53. Debra Pearson says:

I just started liking avocados in the last year or so, and I just hit the double nickel! I love curbing them up in salads or just tomatoes with a nice light Italian dressing, salt and pepper. (I may have to try Cilantro again now… Never liked it either!) Just bought a NutriBullet cuz I like the idea of getting more nutrients in my diet, but I don’t know if it’s because of my stomach problems or tastes getting stranger, but I could not stomach the ones I made with kale or spinach (not much either!)… Even banana, which everyone loves… Can’t hardly stand drinking it (tried freezing them, too, supposed to taste like ice cream?)… Not for me…. I LOVE them fresh… am worried I won’t be able to stand the avovcado in liquid form… Do you REALLY not taste it? (Cuz I can always taste the greens) Thank you…

54. Sarah says:

Avocado + banana = another wonderful smoothie, with no other sweetener needed. With just those two ingredients, it is almost pudding (my stick blender can handle mixing it …) , add water as needed to thin it to a smoothie. YUM!

55. trajayjay says:

You’re 27! You seem so youthful.

Foods I THOUGHT I hated include most vegetables (I would only eat cucumbers and carrots, then I found I could stomach iceberg lettuce, now I can eat a variety of veggies, I don’t think I’ll EVER like kale, tastes like I’m licking carpet). I also thought I hated cheese, mashed potatoes, corn, oranges, spaghetti. I used to hate lunchmeat, then I ate it, but now I don’t I liked rice, boxed macaroni and cheese, breakfast cereal, apples, peanut butter, toast, chicken (not breast), eggs, bacon.

Now, I’m willing to eat an array of foods, no matter how unappetizing they look.

56. Lily says:

Well avocado and chocolate pair wonderfully in deserts. Heck maybe even adding cocoa powder to this shake would be good.

1. Donna says:

I did add cocoa powder! Yum!

57. Justin says:

I make something similar to this myself and it’s tasty! I’ve heard that your body changes drastically every 7 years (including your brain and taste buds!) so you might be on the cusp of that! i know i used to hate peanut butter…what was i thinking?…but now i love it

58. Hey Katie!

I use to HATE peanut butter, olives, and tofu! Now I love NATURAL peanut butter, and getting use to olives and tofu. Funny how taste buds change!!

59. Bobbi says:

So funny! I was just talking to someone at the farmer’s market about this today. I can’t stand Cilantro, tastes like soap to me. Apparently that’s a genetic quirk? But the woman at the olive oil booth said she recently started liking it after years! I hope I do…I’m kind of sad that I can’t taste what everyone says they’re in love with!

60. Carlyn says:

I don’t like avocados but I’m giving them a chance. I have been drinking avocado smoothies at Vietnamese restaurants. I like the creaminess of the avocado which I think is perfect for smoothies. I haven’t tried eating an avocado on its own yet.

61. Karina says:

Like your good self I use to detest the cilantro(used to make me retch) herb, it’s a different story now thought!:-)

Avocados have always been a faithful friend and often crave them; love the sound of your avocado smoothie, Katie!

62. Nicole D says:

Your list of unliked foods that suddenly became favorites is very similar to mine! I still don’t love mustard or raw onions, but over the past few years I started loving things like avocados and such, I think taste-buds really do change (or pregnancy hormones have had a hand:)! Maybe you’ve got a Mexican food fetish hitting! Either way, its great to be able to explore new food options. And I still wonder how I used to not like some of these things!

63. Kristen says:

I’ve heard your taste buds change every 7 years! Welcome to the avocado-lovin’ world! Looking forward to more avocado filled recipes!

64. I used to hate cottage cheese. Now I love it with anything and everything!
    These avocado smoothies look delicious. I love avocado slushes with boba-this reminds me of those.

65. Jenna says:

Are you trying to hint around to something? Should we be expecting an announcement soon? :)

66. Cassie says:

I’ve heard your taste buds change every 7 years… so it’s possible!

67. Keryn says:

Tried the avocado smoothie. Surprisingly quite a neutral taste but a great way to use up a glut of avocados. I can see I need to purchase a Cuisinart ice cream maker and make the avocado frozen yogurt. Not sure what all this will do to the losing weight plan – I am hopeless at reducing my serving sizes! Thanks for the recipes.

68. I use to hate sausages and coffee until last year, and now I am a coffee addict. It’s so bizzare!

69. laura says:

yummy! I make this all the time for breakfast, but i replace the vanilla extra with vanilla protein powder and add some spinach, keeps me full forever!

70. Myrnie says:

Try putting in a bit of lime juice, for a Brazilian-style smoothie. My husband lived there, and avocado is considered something for sweet treats, they think we’re nuts for using it in savory things like guacamole. (Of course, they make corn ice cream too.) They call this vitamina. It’s one of my favorites!

71. Carissa says:

Supposedly your taste buds change every 7 years, I used to not like Cilantro and now I do. Im still working on the mushroom and veggie tree(Broccoli and Cauliflower) thing. Im going to have to try this, it seems interesting!

72. Debra Peterson says:

“Can tastebuds really change after 27 years of life?” Absolutely! I HATED chocolate, until I went through menopause–then I ate those huge containers of chocolate covered raisins from Costco, many, many of them!! Now I’m through with all that, and back to my healthier choices, and lost 30 pounds. Now I’m addicted to my Vitamix!

73. Lara says:

This was nothing short of heavenly. I used coconut milk, stevia & a really good vanilla extract which contains the vanilla beans. I made double last night & saved half in a sealed jar in the fridge. I had that one for breakfast this morning and it was even better plus kept me full and energized for hours. Also I love what avocado does for my skin.

Katie please make a chocolate avocado pudding or other thing. I know there are a lot out there already but I am sure you would perfect it!

74. Suzy~ says:

This tastes so much better with Condensed milk instead of syrup ;D

75. Amy says:

This recipe was so good! I used way less milk, but I loved it. The aftertaste seriously tasted like COOKIE DOUGH, b/c of the vanilla and salt I think. Thanks for the recipe!

1. Thank you so much for trying it :)

76. Taylor says:

THIS RECIPE WAS TERRIBLE!! the vanilla flavor was WAY too strong, the minute amount of salt really took over and it tasted like bitter vanilla salt. abhorrent.

1. Hi Taylor,
      Did you by chance use imitation vanilla extract?

77. Bill says:

Very good!

78. Ruksanna says:

Thanks for the recipe. I’ve been meaning to try out an avocado smoothie recipe fpr a while and found a spare one today – I halved the maple syrup but it still tasted amazing, filled me up to :-)

79. Kate says:

Just saw you post after Googling “Avocado Smoothie.” Looks so tasty. I just discovered Florida avocados. I don’t like the taste all that much when eating it plain, but I mixed it in a smoothie, similar to this recipe, and it turned out delish!…mango-smoothie/
    Yours calls for vanilla extract — definitely need to try that next time.

80. Deeksha says:

Hey, If u’re n Indian n a vegetarian there’s no way u can escape veggies as a child. Most is our mums will drown the taste of actual veggie with spice overload. Anyways, avocados are fairly new to India n r considered exotic. I had ripe n v expensive avo sitting on my counter threatening to go bad. So I googled n tried ur recipe with some modifications. Used half avo, some milk n honey ! It wasn’t mind blowing but good n had loads of potential n quickest breakfast ever. The best part is my snobby hubby saw d potential too! Thanks

81. Jenelle says:

I just tried your avocado smoothie. It was pretty delish. I added vanilla protein powder to make it more of a meal. I found your blog on a google search. I bookmarked it so I can come back and try some more of your ideas. Thanks :-)

82. Julie says:

This looked so tempting I had to try. I used coconut milk. I thought I would add some protein with a half cup plain, non-fat greek yogurt and used a handful of frozen strawberries instead of ice cubes. You are right about the avocado having little taste – just pure creaminess! Absolutely yum!

83. Sonya says:

I think that it’s more common for people’s taste buds to change when they get older, than for them not to change. Kids are more sensitive to bitter or sour tastes, which probably is a protective thing survival-wise. I hated almost all fruits and vegetables as a kid, and now love them, as well as quite a lot of other things. In terms of serving “secret” ingredients to guests, you never know exactly what they think, because a polite guest will never tell you if something doesn’t taste quite as good as they are used to. I personally would never tell someone that; I will praise their cooking whether I like it or not.

84. Molly says:

I just tried the avocado smoothie with one cup of mango nectar and it was amazing. It actually compliments the avocado flavor.

85. Dana says:

My daughter & I just tried this with Golden Syrup since that is what we had on hand. It tastes a lot like a vanilla milkshake. Yummy! Thanks for the recipe.

86. Donna says:

I loved this avocado shake! Will make again!

87. coralkarina says:

Well I’ll do a reverse. I used to love bacon and eggs, now I cannot stand the taste.

Avocado is lovely. Especially with a chocolate hint!

88. Carly says:

Just made this! Great recipe but next time I am leaving out the salt! I used almond milk for the milk of choice and agave nectar for sweetener! Thanks :)

89. angela says:

90. Cintia says:

My father has made this recipe ever since I can remember. Growing up as a kid in Brazil, avocados were pretty much everywhere. He remembers his father making this smoothie from the avocado tree that they had beside their house. Probably one of my favorite recipes!!! It’s nice to see it on the web for others to enjoy! :)

91. Aankhi says:

Can’t wait to try this – can I use honey instead?

92. Randall Nichols says:

Was thinking that by substituting Dark Chocolate Almond milk you could omit the sweetener, the vanilla and the salt. Caloric content would be increased, but then again so would the fiber and the minerals. Anyway, it’s something that I am going to look into. Thanks for the idea.

93. sarahlmonty says:

i LOVE avocado, cant wait to try making this smoothie! I used to hate beetroot but love it now! funny how tastes change over time!

94. Laura says:

Hi! I’m so happy to see an avocado smoothie recipe on your site! I have to say that my favorite version of this is avo-coco-banana! Some coconut milk or coconut cream, avocado, banana, and another thinner milk (almond, soy, etc.), with a little tiny bit of agave or honey and the wee-est pinch of salt is amazing. :) Even better with frozen banana!

95. Deb Favero says:

Great recipe Katie! Today I added about 10 (maybe 15) fresh basil leaves to the mix. I followed Myrnie’s suggestion to add lime, using 1/2 the zest and the juice of 1 medium. I must admit I always kick the salt up to 1/2 t too. Love the flavor.

I was surprised this smoothie was so low in calories when I viewed your nutritional info. I thought the avocado alone would be higher in calories than those posted for the entire smoothie. Avocado caloric contents vary by source but range from 160-190 calories for 1/2 large avocado. Also, it would be helpful if the ingredients used in the calculation were mentioned when alternates are given in the recipe. Another option might be to simply state that the first one is always used when a recipe choice is listed.

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

She had more info about how the recipe nutrition facts are calculated on her Recipe FAQ page at the top of the blog. Hope that helps!

96. Radu says:

dairy milk is not healthy. you are wasting avocados this way

1. None of the recipes call for dairy milk, as this is a vegan blog.

97. Kath says:

My husband and I fell in love with avocado smoothies when we lived in Indonesia. There, they often blend in chocolate or coconut (chocolate in the sweetened condensed form). It brings back memories of surfing and enjoying great (and super spicy) food.
    I craved olives during pregnancy (I couldn’t stand them before), and now really enjoy (not crave, but appreciate) a flavourful Kalamata any day. Both of my small kiddies love them too. :)

98. Gina says:

This was delicious! I added half a frozen banana to mine and reduced the maple syrup by 1tbsp, so glad to have this recipe to add to my smoothie rotation! Can’t wait to try the frozen yogurt, too!!

99. Rachel says:

Ooh, this is so good! I was bracing myself going into it, but the smoothie tastes a lot like a milk shake! Note: I only used 3/4 cup of regular milk with the 1/2 avocado. Though I think my avocado was smaller.

100. Shannon says:

I think you can learn to like most things if you very slowly try to acquire a taste. I hated olives, but then I started with eating one Kalamata olive off my Greek salad, then two, then all of them, plus the ones off my husband’s. Also put sliced black olives on pizza… Now i can eat green olives straight from the jar?

101. Richard Moore says:

This is exactly how I make a healthy milk punch, exact I add 1/4 cup Greek yogurt, 1/4 silken tofu (learned this from you!), 1 date, and 3 shots of Brandy. Add milk to desired consistency. Pour over ice. Top with nutmeg. Yum.

102. Angie says:

Just made this but added 2 cups spinach and my husband loves it!!!
    1 cup if you dont double the recipe.

103. Mary-Rose McMullin says:

This sounds yummy! I craved avacado when my iron levels were low– avacado is a good source of iron. Now I still like them but don’t crave them.

104. jillsusanne says:

Added a touch of cocoa powder at the end for a chocolate milkshake – wow…delicious!! I loved the vanilla as well but my hubby is a chocolate fan so I thought it was worth a try. Thanks for the great recipe! :)

105. shari nelson says:

I am so trying this soon. I have a huge avocado tree in my backyard.

Shari x |

106. Michele Inclan says:

Definitely going to try this recipe soon! At age 30, after 2 kids, I suddenly discovered I LOVE avocado after feeding it to my baby girl, who also loves it!

107. Edita says:

This smoothie became one of our favorite breakfasts. It is really unbelievable what a nice, creamy and silky texture gives the avocado to this drink. Thank you so much for posting this so-easy-to- make and delicious recipe.

108. Richard Moore says:

I make variations of this all the time. I often cut back on the avocado to 1/4 and add 1/2 a banana instead. I almost always add 1 date, vanilla protein powder, and either almond extract or almond butter as well. And if I want to use this to create a healthy Sunday Brunch Brandy Milk Punch, I always add a little nutmeg and brandy too. :)

109. Thanks for the recipe! I’m excited to try an avocado smoothie to get some healthy fat in me in the morning.
    I used to HATE avocados, guacamole, cheesecake, broccoli and brussel sprouts. They are are now delicious! After drinking a lot of green juice, food started to taste better and I fell in love with veggies. The only thing I really still hate is eggs.

110. Michelle says:

Just made this for my momma and I, let me just tell you that we were blown away with the taste and texture! Before vegan, we used to get avocado smoothies with boba in downtown and I can easily say this tasted WAY better! Better than any avo smoothie we’ve ever had! AND we saved $10 total by just making it at home! Thank you Katie for this beautiful recipe!

111. Elle says:

I don’t like Avocados, but the fats they contain are good for you. Thank you for this recipe. It’s easy, good for you, and tastes great. :)

112. Nina says:

I feel so good about this drink. It is easy to make and I save money having a delicious smoothie at home.