Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Dark Chocolate Emerald Truffles

Chocolate Truffles

Thank you for all of the well-wishes on my What’s happening in my life post.

I know my posts were a bit sporadic while I was in the process of moving, but starting next week I have BIG PLANS for the blog. (You’ll hear more about these big plans soon!) Meanwhile, one of my goals for this year had been to give more opportunities to other bloggers to showcase their talents. There’s some incredible talent out there… I found one such gem of a blog a few weeks ago, I am pretty certain you all will adore her recipes and photos as much as I do:

Vegan Truffles

So today please welcome Clémence, author of The Vegan Cookie Fairy.

I’m delighted and honoured to be guest blogging for Katie today. Chocolate-Covered Katie was one of the very first blogs I found when I made the choice to eat a fully plant-based diet, and I have made many successful desserts from her recipes. It’s with great pleasure that I now share with you one of my favourite creations – pistachio chocolate truffles.

You won’t be able to resist biting into these delicate truffles to discover their gorgeous vibrant green inside. Eating a pistachio chocolate truffle is like coming downstairs to a mountain of presents on Christmas morning. These truffles may look sophisticated, but you’ll feel giddy eating them.

They are stupidly easy to make but require a little time and care. Read the instructions entirely before you set to work, as it’s crucial to follow the steps correctly. If you do so, the experience of making chocolate is not just easy, but positively delightful.

Chocolate Truffles

Pistachio Chocolate Emerald Truffles

Pistachio Filling

• 6.34 oz (180g) raw pistachios, shells removed
  • 1 tbsp coconut oil, melted
  • 3/4 tsp powdered stevia

Place pistachios in a high-speed blender. Pulse until the pistachios turn to a fine powdery consistency. The longer you blend, the smoother paste they will turn into. Add the coconut oil and stevia. Blitz until all ingredients are smooth, with just a few grains left. If you don’t own a powerful blender or food processor, you might want to do this in batches to spare the machine too much effort at once. Pour blended mixture into a small bowl and freeze for about 20 minutes while making the chocolate coating. Line a freezer-safe dish or platter with parchment paper. Remove the filling from the freezer. Using a teaspoon (or a melon scooper might work) scrape a walnut-sized amount of filling. Roll the filling into a small ball in your hands, and place on the parchment. Repeat the process to make 9 truffles. Freeze truffles for five more minutes.

Chocolate Coating

• 8 oz (225g) dark, dark chocolate, roughly chopped or broken
  • 1/2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
  • 1/4 to 1/3 tsp powdered stevia

Place a saucepan over low heat. Gently warm the oil, turn the heat really low, add the chopped chocolate, and slowly let it melt. Stir this mixture occasionally to prevent burning. When the chocolate has become silky, stir in the stevia, then remove from the heat. Let cool. Stir briefly, just to keep it manageably liquid, before coating the pistachio balls in the chocolate. Dip each pistachio ball into the chocolate, coating well, then place back onto the parchment paper. Repeat this process for the remaining truffles. Freeze truffles 10 more minutes. NOTE: This recipe makes a lot of chocolate, but you need that to fully dip in your truffles. You’ll have leftovers to make hot chocolate, perhaps to go with your pistachio truffles, if that’s not chocolate overdose for you.

Pistachio Drizzle (optional)

Reserve a tsp of the wet pistachio filling. Place in a small saucepan with a tsp of coconut oil. Melt the two together. Set aside to cool. When the pistachio truffles are coated with chocolate and have set, drizzle the melted liquid over the truffles and freeze again. Serve these truffles cold, preferably from the freezer. They will keep in the freezer up to a month, if you can resist them for that long. They’re very nice with a cup of rooibos tea. Makes 9 truffles.

View Nutrition Facts

Healthy Truffles

Pistachio Truffles

Link of the Day:

avocado smoothie
……Avocado Smoothie

1. Yum!

These truffles are gorgeous, and pistachio is one of my favorite flavors! I have also been following Chocolate Covered Katie for a while now and I love all of her recipes. I don’t think I’ve tried one thing I don’t like!

1. Bethanny says:

I’m pretty sure Katie was the one who made me even consider being a vegan as a feasible thing in the first place, back in, what, 2009? 2010? A few years ago. Anyway, I credit my veganism to her.

2. Truffles in any variety are pretty much a hit with me! These look so pretty, though and I love pistachios!

3. Sounds tasty. I think I will try this recipe.

4. Kat says:

Wow, I just discovered your guest poster’s site a couple of days ago. The recipe she shared here is the one that caught my attention. Don’t have any raw pistachios but hope to get some so I can make her recipe soon. It sounds and looks so good. Thank you for sharing here so more people will find some of the wonderful blogs out there.

1. Hi Kat, thank you for your lovely comment :)

5. They look so fun (and easy) to make! What a great little treat!

6. Kia says:

those look great! <3

7. Shaina says:

I love the color of these fun little treats!! They seem super easy to make too. Great recipe!

8. emma says:

WOAH! These take me back to my childhood- my best friend and I at the time went to this authentic Italian gelato place and the pistachio was, by far, my favourite flavour.

Thanks for the recipe! Will give it a go but will likely use coconut sugar for the sweetener as I have no idea to where my stevia wandered off…

9. Kate says:

These look incredible! I love the color, and pistachios are one of my favorite things right now :)

One question: Is there anything I can use instead of stevia? I’m not, like, morally opposed to it, but I am not a huge fan of the flavor. Honey? Even agave?

1. Hi Kate! Of course you could use something different. You could use honey or agave or even maple syrup, though I haven’t tried it out myself and I worry it might make the truffle mixture a little too runny to set. Best to try something like coconut palm sugar, something solid. I hope that helps xoxo

1. Kate says:

Thanks so much! I think you’re right about a solid sweetener. Maybe I’ll have to bite the bullet and get some coconut sugar. Thanks!

10. Angel Yang says:

This looks delicious Katie! It kind of looks like matcha green tea truffles. Maybe that should be something I try out! Cant wait to try these!

xo,
    Angel

11. For a split second I thought you might have used avocado in there, which would have been delicious…BUT pistachios sound amazing!!!! I can’t wait to make this!! The only thing is I don’t use stevia…if I replace it with raw honey I’m assuming the mix will be too runny…maybe I could add some almond flour? Any other suggestions?

1. Hi Lisa! It depends on the texture of the raw honey you’re using – is it runny or quite solid? You could try using coconut palm sugar or something similar.

1. Actually, the honey is use is basically solidified so maybe it could work. I hadn’t thought of palm sugar…and I love palm sugar! Thanks for the tips 😉

12. What lovely looking truffles! I can’t wait to try making them!

13. what a gorgeous color! they sound absolutely delicious!

14. Katie- these truffles look amazing! I just love pistachios and can imagine them in the truffles! Have a happy new year!

15. Beautiful! They look so yummy and I love that they use stevia! I can’t wait to make these, thanks for sharing!

16. Shanna says:

Hi Katie and clemence,

These truffles. Look. Unbelievable! I can’t wait to make them. But could you maybe give me a substitute for the coconut oil and powdered stevia? Lol please. I don’t really like those 2 things but I still wanna make these! 😀

1. Hi Shanna,

I haven’t tried making these with anything other than coconut oil because it sets solid when cold, which is why these truffles hold well together. Maybe if you melt the chocolate with only the tiniest amount of soy creamer or milk… They might still melt a bit, though. If you don’t like stevia, you can use any kind of sugar you prefer.

I hope that helps!

xoxo

2. paul says:

Just made a variation of these beautiful truffles for my son’s birthday treat ( born March 17) . Sorry if my changes offend the creator, but I just used confectioner’s sugar , and blended finely processed coconut into the pistachio butter. Also used roasted pistachios with sea salt) st say the little bit of salt with the sweet coconut is delicious :). I also read that chocolate loses it’s temper if frozen. I am not freezing the truffles after coating. Losing temper can cause chocolate to melt at room temperature I think. Can’t wait to share :) Thanks for the recipe!

17. Sheila says:

Thank you so much for the great recipes. I just made the chocolate mayo cupcakes & no guilt cookies. They are absolutely delicious!! I can’t wait for your cookbook to come out.
    I’m so happy I discovered your blog.

18. What a pair! Love this food combination (and gorgeous photos!)

19. Emme says:

Hello Katie,

Please help me. I have a love-hate relationship with my vitamix. I bought it two years ago while trying to improve my health, but it scares me to death that the darned thing does not have a safety lock. I am an absent-minded sort of person and generally sleep-deprived (result of two, soon to be three babes under the age of five and three years of constant night nursing) and on several occasions I have caught myself doing things ranging from dumb to downright dangerous with this powerful appliance. Furthermore, I have a terrible time getting it properly sterilized. When I do what the vitamix site recommends, it smells like detergent for a week. When I don’t, I notice that my soups go off really quickly. And it is such a pain to get thick mixtures out from around the blade. I am basically ready to resell it and buy a high powered food processor (similar torque and rpms) like a magimix or high end cuisinart. Is this a colossal mistake? I just can’t seem to make friends with it, even though it makes awesome smoothies.

Thanks in advance,
    Emme

20. Poame says:

Wooww! It looks very delicious!

21. Loie says:

I really wanted to try these after I saw this recipe. I love green, and pistachios and chocolate. Unfortunately it just did not work for me… I tried it in my high-powered blender, NOTHING would blend, and I almost burnt out my blender. I tried adding more coconut oil, a bit of water, nothing worked. I thought I would transfer it to my food processor which is better at grinding nuts, still it didn’t work. I ended up with this chunky, gloopy mess. It was liquidy because of the water and oil I tried to add to make it mix, so I tried adding shredded coconut to bulk it up a bit. No luck. Added a bit of gluten free flower… it bulked up enough to form balls but by that time was pretty much inedible… sigh.

1. Hi Loie,

I would ask Clemence for troubleshooting ideas, as this is her recipe.

22. Amanda says:

Could you make these into a pie? Looking for some healthy St. Paddy’s day treats :)

1. You could always try! Be sure to report back if you do :)
      Or just try one of these: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2015/03/12/recipes-under-200-calories/