Chocolate Mudslide Oatmeal

To say I’m excited about Halloween would be an understatement.

How can one not get excited when thinking about Halloween Cupcakes, cute black cats, jack-o-lanterns, and (the best part!) dressing up? During this time, nothing is exempt from my little Halloween-happy fingers. Nothing, not even my oatmeal.

So this morning, for my post-run breakfast, I celebrated the holiday a bit early… with ghoulishly-good chocolate mudslide oatmeal.

chocolate mudslide oatmeal

Dark and scary … it’s like something straight out of Tim Burton’s The Nightmare Before Christmas.

Chocolate Mudslide Oatmeal

(serves 1)

• 1/2 cup rolled oats
  • 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1 cup milk of choice
  • scant 1/4 tsp salt
  • sweetener of choice
  • 1 tbsp Dutch cocoa powder (It has a completely different taste from regular cocoa powder)
  • optional, Amazing Grass chocolate powder

Cook up a serving of oatmeal with the  milk and the salt.  (I like to cook the oats the day before so that I can throw breakfast together more quickly.) Add the vanilla, cocoa, and more salt and sweetener to taste.  I also add a little more milk of choice, as some will evaporate if you leave the cooked oatmeal in the fridge overnight. Optional: Right before I eat it, I sprinkle on about 1/2 a little packet of the chocolate super food powder.  Then I drizzle on about 1/8 cup almond milk.  I don’t stir either of these things in.  I love the unstirred, powdery texture.

mud

A swampy concoction, fit for a Monster.

This recipe works very well with the Voluminous Oatmeal Trick.

What lurks in your oatmeal?

Tags: , , , , ,

1. jcd says:

I just click on the CCV-Katie button in the Apple Safari browser every morning when I get to work. I have you linked as one of my favourites, so your blog pops up on my screen (along with a few others) when I open the browser.

Although, today I am using Internet Explorer, but same thing – the CCV-Katie icon is in the favourites bar so I just click on it. No fancy Google Reader here.

2. Jessica says:

I use Readed, but actually hate it. And I love mudslides, so I can’t wait to eat this oatmeal.

3. *Andrea* says:

i love google reader! i’m not sure if there even IS something better out there 😉 this oatmeal looks divine! i need to buy morecocoa powder

4. jannayael says:

I use google reader!

Mmmm chocolate oats. I have never tried chocolate in my oats… I’m a bit nervous. Chocolate for breakfast? I don’t know if I can do it!

5. star says:

I use ‘bookmark’ 😉 x

6. Abby says:

I use google reader just because its the only thing I really understand how to use.. lol.

It’s annoying though bc when you type in my blog name.. the first option to subscribe to is my old blog on blogger.. not wordpress. Oh well!!

UH DELICIOUS looking oatmeal Miss Katie!! :)

7. Lori says:

For quite awhile I didn’t evn know google reader existed and just had your blog saved under favorites and clicked to it every day.

8. Yum! I love unstirrred concoctions too. There’s something wonderful about each bite being unique….instead of all uniform. Cocoa powder in oats is a genius idea!

I don’t subscribe to Google Reader or any other blog readers thingys. I use the blogroll link list on my blog to keep up, since it lists blogs in the order they’ve most recently updated. I start at the top every day and work my way down.

9. Love the dark and mysterious (oat) type :)

Faithful Reader user; don’t know this other feed secret, either haha

PS: How do you check how many people subscribe to you via Reader?

10. Your oatmeal is so boo-tiful. (Sorry–I know I’m lame.)

I read your blog through my WordPress blog surfer. I don’t think you are able to see the phantom WordPress blog surfers unless they hit your link.

Happy Halloween!

11. tabitha says:

mmm, chocolate oatmeal–why didn’t i think of it?
    my kids will love that!

i’m on blogspot…so i get updates via them

i’m so excited for halloween too!!
    watched charlie brown’s great pumpkin last night :)

12. I use Google Reader as well, but do check some blogs through bookmarks in IE too.

13. Jessica says:

I need to get back into making oatmeal now that it’s chilly outside. I’ve been stuck on cold cereal for awhile and need a change!

I’m not technologically advanced enough to help you with the question of the day, lol. I just use a normal broswer to check out blogs and I have them all saved in a favorites folder.

I think I know the new fudge baby flavor, but I’ll keep quiet. If I’m wrong, then I can’t wait to hear about another version! :)

14. If someone uses your feed, it doesn’t matter if it’s in Google Reader or another form like NetVibes. It sounds though like you have a lot of people just bookmarking you and not using the feed.

15. Marina says:

My oats were mudslide too today! I love cocoa in oatmeal, specially that part where it kinda bakes on the stove, and you find chewy parts in your oatmeal :)

16. Chelsea says:

As crazy as it seems, I manually check all the blogs I read! I just created a blog-bookmark folder and go through it each day. Maybe I have too much time on my hands…

17. Hani says:

That oatmeal looks very yummy!

I keep up with all the blogs I read on Bloglines. I tried Google Reader, but Bloglines was more intuitive to me.

18. My son would love your sweet tasting breakfasts.

19. Jocelyn says:

I have ONE subscriber. What am I doin wrong lol

I don’t use google reader…I don’t really like it. I just keep adding blogs to my favorites lol.

20. Kelly says:

Aw, I *love* Nightmare Before Christmas! Maybe I’ll have to make a bowl of your Mudslide Oats and watch the movie tonight!

I use Google Reader…. I’m a recentish convert, but I *love* it! So much easier than using bookmarked pages or going through a blogroll… ick.